Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Why don't the categories in Scratch Live match the ones in Itunes?

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL1
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
SelfServed 4:45 AM - 1 October, 2011
Product: scratchlive
Version: 2.3.1
Hardware: scratchlive-sl1
Computer: mac
OS Version: 10.5.8
---

Okay, so I love scratch live. My one problem is that for the most part in works in tandem with Itunes... then why are so many of the categories to identify a song so much different.

Itunes has a a category of Ratings which I really like. Obviously I like all the songs in my Itunes library but some are obviously better than others.

Why doesn't Scratch Live have that same category? Could you add it with a simple update... cause that would be awesome.

Also, if you have ever used Microsoft excel they have a feature where you can filter multiple things. It would be rad to be able to do the same in Scratch. Let's say I wanted to filter to just songs that were 128 bpm but also had a rating of 5 stars (or however you want to rate a song). Would that be possible.

Thanks guys!
pueblofunky 6:28 AM - 1 October, 2011
Quote:
Also, if you have ever used Microsoft excel they have a feature where you can filter multiple things. It would be rad to be able to do the same in Scratch. Let's say I wanted to filter to just songs that were 128 bpm but also had a rating of 5 stars (or however you want to rate a song). Would that be possible.

Very good idea. The same drop down as in excel per column ... +1

BUT .. this would/could destroy the performance and might now work correctly with large smart crates.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 2:50 AM - 3 October, 2011
Hey SelfServed,

For the most part Scratch Live and iTunes share the same tag information (with a slight variation depending on file type). However there are some tags that only iTunes read and write to, similarly there are some tags only Scratch Live read/write to. In order for Scratch Live to read, for example, the iTunes star rating tag - iTunes would have to either write this information to the XML file which Scratch Live reads, or write the info to the file in a non-iTunes specific way. However they do not do either of these things so we can't pull that star-rating information.

With your other query about the filter, Scratch Live already has this...to an extent. If you click on the 'Browse' tab above your library, these will let you filter between Genre, BPM, Artist and Album. Similarly with our 'Smart Crate' feature, you can set 'rules' that will filter through your library and make a crate based on these rules. This crate will constantly update itself when tracks are added that fit these 'criteria'. You can read more about Smart Crates here : serato.com

Hope that helps : )
SelfServed 10:59 AM - 6 October, 2011
Indeed it does.... I can certainly make due, thanks.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 4:47 AM - 11 October, 2011
Great. I'll close this thread. If you have any other questions regarding this let me know :)