Serato DJ Lite / Intro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Lite / Intro software and controllers.

Is this a joke ?

Nonnus 7:37 AM - 29 September, 2011
really serato ?

was it not bad enough to maintain 2 separate products, ssl and itch, wich you had already made to seem quite hard to maintain (example: the lack of official lion support on the existing products)

and now you decide to release even one more software dedicated to controllers, but for some different controllers ?

this move just makes no sense at all...
Beatnologic 7:38 AM - 29 September, 2011
+1
42deluxe 7:48 AM - 29 September, 2011
Instead of releasing a new product, Serato should have focused on implementing the new GUI in Scratch live.

Are there only Controller "DJs" out there? WTF?
Code:E 7:48 AM - 29 September, 2011
+1
man'X 7:53 AM - 29 September, 2011
We want better support on SSL please !
DJ Dub Cowboy 7:53 AM - 29 September, 2011
2.3.1 corrupting video files
no update for VSL in 1.5 years
No Lion support

????

am I on crazy pills?

take care of the people that have gotten you this far

make sure we will still row the boat before putting new people on it.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 7:53 AM - 29 September, 2011
Who's idea was this? fix the bugs in SSL before release another product so you'll have even more bugs to fix. You guys are gonna end up shooting yourself in the foot
DJ Dub Cowboy 7:55 AM - 29 September, 2011
I feel like I got kicked in the balls
Serato
Brigid 7:55 AM - 29 September, 2011
Hey guys,
We hear you, but development didn't stop on all our other products while we did this. Lion support is very close, and we take all outstanding issues in our software very seriously.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 7:56 AM - 29 September, 2011
what about fixing the keylock algorithm in SSL... we've been waiting for that for years too
Serato
Brigid 7:58 AM - 29 September, 2011
Yep, that's still on our list of things to do. We have grand plans for all our software, and actions speak louder than words, so we'll be working our hardest to make sure everyone is happy.
DJ Dub Cowboy 8:02 AM - 29 September, 2011
okay Brigid, I trust you...

but for now, I have the blues
Nonnus 8:04 AM - 29 September, 2011
just feels louse that stuff we ask for long time is kept on lists to do while this new software that seems to be very little different than itch (we could make a game to spot the differences in couple of screenshots) managed to float directly to top priority

seems there is much more concern about the manufacturers politics involved in the licensing of the software to specific hardware partners (hence this new need for different softewares for different hardware) than in providing to exising users the best service / software possible

i am sorry if this sounds harsh, but it sure is what is feels right now
bricejevinn 8:40 AM - 29 September, 2011
ya what is the difference between this and itch....besides having to buy new/other controllers....can you use the cdjs at ni support with dj intro or just like itch you have to buy a controller just for it....
phatbob 8:51 AM - 29 September, 2011
I'm afraid I'm gonna take a MASSIVE amount of convincing that this development has not affected my experience as a Scratch Live/Video SL user in a negative way.
WarpNote 8:55 AM - 29 September, 2011
I think this is VERY good news indeed, and a VERY smart move by Serato.
No doubt this will turn on a lot more DJs to Serato software, if they install this and buy a cheap,
controller for home use, they will probably feel at ease with a 57 in the club real fast.

Sure, Id like the bugs in SSL to be ironed out as soon as possible myself. But I would also like Serato to be a sustainable company.

And for anyone concerned about the "pro stamp" Rane Hardware... well, it will remain pro, no doubt.
bricejevinn 9:01 AM - 29 September, 2011
lol serato already has this..its called itch...just now have to buy other new controllers...doesnt make any sense
boabmatic 9:05 AM - 29 September, 2011
intro looks like a scaled down itch, as you only get 4 bank sampler and I think less FX's too.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 9:09 AM - 29 September, 2011
Serato DJ Intro has a smaller feature set than ITCH or Scratch Live, you can check this out here > serato.com
ooodjaceooo 9:15 AM - 29 September, 2011
do you plan on offering support for the regular mixtrack, not just the pro, i really wanna try this!
radikarl 9:15 AM - 29 September, 2011
i think the regular mixtrack has no soundcard. i doubt this could work.
vinylmanipulator 9:22 AM - 29 September, 2011
I'm actually looking forward to using this as I needed a small setup as I'm in the middle of a move and don't have room for my turntables right now. I just bought the numark dj2go not to long ago for a little setup just to mess around with and preview songs but have not opened it. I think I'm going to return it and and get the mixtrack pro just to have a small portable "workstation" to preview music and play around with......
phatbob 9:25 AM - 29 September, 2011
Actually I don't know why I'm so pissed off. I'm sure it will all be smiles tomorrow when Serato introduce a new all-singing all-dancing version of Video SL.

Because that must have been a development priority over making this, right?
WarpNote 9:26 AM - 29 September, 2011
Quote:
lol serato already has this..its called itch...just now have to buy other new controllers...doesnt make any sense

What Michael R said, the program is called INTRO, and I expect there is a reason for that...
From what the resellers are telling me, the top selling midi controller for the bedroom market is the Numark MixTrack > www.numark.com, it makes sense to introduce those users to Serato.
ooodjaceooo 9:27 AM - 29 September, 2011
thats correct, i have the external soundcard hookup for it, but id like to be able to use it on my home computer to make mixes with
DJDeluchi 9:27 AM - 29 September, 2011
looks like a great idea and a perfect reach into the entry market now i can push serato products out to my friends that can not afford ssl or itch i hope to test the devices at bpm and will possibly purchase into this i need a quick set up mobile solution
radikarl 9:39 AM - 29 September, 2011
the main plus for me is it is really affordable.
i would never let my NS6 or VCI-300 unattended on a private party or wedding.

But a Mixtrack Pro? I'm not too worried for 200 Euros. This is within the reach of what someone who breaks it by spilling his beer on it can pay me back.

You can even install the Software without any hassle on the partys hosts Computer, plug in and use his Itunes Library.
All you have to bring is the controller, plus maybe a USB stick with your own music.
Not even risk your Laptop. Set up in literally 5 minutes, including the download.

And when you are too drunk, let someone else get the Serato experience.

I'm sold.
DJDeluchi 9:40 AM - 29 September, 2011
Quote:

But a Mixtrack Pro? I'm not too worried for 200 Euros. This is within the reach of what someone who breaks it by spilling his beer on it can pay me back.

You can even install the Software without any hassle on the partys hosts Computer, plug in and use his Itunes Library.
All you have to bring is the controller, plus maybe a USB stick with your own music.
Not even risk your Laptop. Set up in literally 5 minutes, including the download.

I'm sold.

Love this
WarpNote 9:42 AM - 29 September, 2011
Quote:

I'm sold.

Me too, will probably get a dirt cheap controller. Won't bring it to gigs, but a lot of fun for going on a road trip etc....
WarpNote 9:44 AM - 29 September, 2011
I mean, I was even thinking about getting that denon controller and hack the midi file for use with SSL for use in those instances with a small 2 channel mixer. This option is really tempting for "recreational" use..
ooodjaceooo 9:52 AM - 29 September, 2011
no offense, but the mixtrack is not a bedroom controller, i can do everything that serato can do, its not about what program you use, its about how u mix, and what you play, i prefer to have a controller and something lightweight and easy, i dont wanna lug around heavy turntables, i respect those who do, but i think people should be more open minded to all types of interfaces and software
skinnyguy 9:59 AM - 29 September, 2011
the only difference i can see so far is....it only has 4 sample players....
skinnyguy 10:00 AM - 29 September, 2011
i guess it takes a pro to handle 6?
WarpNote 10:03 AM - 29 September, 2011
ooodjaceooo, I have no experience with the mixtrack, and I'll probably buy one. But I don't expect it to run VSL/ME or the Bridge. I normally spin Tech 1210's with the Sixty Eight. And others might be able to do it, but when I'm using either NS6, NS7, or Pio CDJ players, I am nowhere near what I can do on technics turntables.

But I do absolutely agree with:
Quote:
its not about what program you use, its about how u mix, and what you play
ooodjaceooo 10:05 AM - 29 September, 2011
for sure bro, just tired of alot of people saying you have to have serato to be good LOL, i rock crowds over 1000 with my program and rock the house everytime, lol
Nonnus 10:30 AM - 29 September, 2011
i dont really see any situation where itch could not be used instead of this new software...
WarpNote 10:40 AM - 29 September, 2011
Quote:
i dont really see any situation where itch could not be used instead of this new software...

When money is an issue.... have you checked the price on the mixtrack pro? well, you should...
phatbob 10:41 AM - 29 September, 2011
I just posted this on Skratchworx:

This is NOT equivalent to Traktor LE.

Where's the upgrade path?

I buy a £400 VCI-100MK2. Like using Intro. Need more power?

Sell it and buy an Itch controller.

VCI-100MK2 currently ships with Traktor LE. Need more power? Traktor Pro.

The more I think about this, the more foolish it seems.
skratchworx 10:41 AM - 29 September, 2011
@Nonnus - how about the massive market for beginners? Or people who's demands are not that high? Or for people who don't have that much cash?

We all started somewhere, and in the current market, that starting point is most likely Traktor or Virtual DJ. Now there's DJ Intro, and I'm willing to be that this will snatch so much market share from the others in a short amount of time.
phatbob 10:45 AM - 29 September, 2011
The lack of upgrade and crossgrade options with Serato products will be the downfall of this ecosystem in the long term.

Add to that the company's apparent inability to support more than one product sufficiently and I'm starting to be properly concerned.
DJDeluchi 10:45 AM - 29 September, 2011
Quote:
@Nonnus - how about the massive market for beginners? Or people who's demands are not that high? Or for people who don't have that much cash?

We all started somewhere, and in the current market, that starting point is most likely Traktor or Virtual DJ. Now there's DJ Intro, and I'm willing to be that this will snatch so much market share from the others in a short amount of time.

Amen on that the gospel has spoken

cant wait to fiddle at bpm
Nonnus 10:48 AM - 29 September, 2011
i was talking just about the software

if serato decided to open up for cheaper controllers is one thing,
but to have to create a whole new product seems too much...
blackavenger 10:59 AM - 29 September, 2011
Quote:

LIKEWISE!

....on the plus side, I would prefer the site to use this color scheme. It's a lot easier on the eyes!!
blackavenger 11:08 AM - 29 September, 2011
Well, at least we know why ITCH has taken so long to get a QUALITY Effects Engine.....because "INTRO" needed it first!!

There are not words to describe my disappointment in Serato right now!
Will Love 11:14 AM - 29 September, 2011
Total kick in the nuts.
Quote:
just feels louse that stuff we ask for long time is kept on lists to do while this new software that seems to be very little different than itch (we could make a game to spot the differences in couple of screenshots) managed to float directly to top priority

seems there is much more concern about the manufacturers politics involved in the licensing of the software to specific hardware partners (hence this new need for different softewares for different hardware) than in providing to exising users the best service / software possible

i am sorry if this sounds harsh, but it sure is what is feels right now

Words out of my mouth.
I still don't get why Itch wouldn't provide just as a small footprint, added the controller support, updated the GUI, appealed to newbies..... Why would someone choose this over itch? Itch I have no exp with and dj Intro is obviously new to me as well.
But I thought itch was essentially serato "Intro" with Scratch being so called flagship.
I just purchased an SL 4 I'm about to call and cancel the order before they ship it.
I
Nonnus 11:14 AM - 29 September, 2011
Quote:
Well, at least we know why ITCH has taken so long to get a QUALITY Effects Engine.....because "INTRO" needed it first!!

There are not words to describe my disappointment in Serato right now!

ˆthis
Will Love 11:28 AM - 29 September, 2011
Serato, we would like to know the direction you'll be heading before (whoops, just ordered it yesterday) I spend 900$ on a sound card.
I can't blame them catering to controllerists, look at a catalogue, it's all there is barely anymore.
But it SHOULD OF BEEN ADDED TO ITCH. period.

This explains why Serato is chro ically behind in tech with Native instruments.

Pathetic.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 11:32 AM - 29 September, 2011
Hey Will Love,

Serato DJ Intro doesn't change anything about Scratch Live and ITCH. If you're worried about getting the SL 4 you need not be, it's an amazing piece of hardware which I'm sure you won't regret purchasing. You'll find that Serato DJ Intro is aimed more at people wanting to get their start in DJing. The SL 4 is definitely a very professional piece of equipment :)
blackavenger 11:37 AM - 29 September, 2011
^Then why does "INTRO" get a better Effects Engine than ITCH?

If it's geared at Newbs, then why do they get superior features than the Pros (so to speak)?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 11:42 AM - 29 September, 2011
There are pros and cons to both effects engines, for example Serato DJ Intro has less effects than ITCH. I couldn't really say which is better as they are both very different.
Will Love 11:43 AM - 29 September, 2011
^^^^^ and I could go on.

Itch needs development (can you say bridge anyone? What year was that?)
INTRO is no less cmplicated than itch looking at everything I can find on it.
How dumb are we going to make the DJ market?
Keep lowering standards, not having standards, more low end software rather than focusing on progression.

Sorry I just might call pssl now and cancel.
Will Love 11:46 AM - 29 September, 2011
Different effects engines?
Why not fix the one you created with Itch?

This is real concerning if you think about all this outside the box.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 11:49 AM - 29 September, 2011
I can assure you that the development of Serato DJ Intro has not impacted on any ITCH or Scratch Live development. As I said earlier, Serato DJ Intro doesn't affect the importance or usability of ITCH or Scratch Live so there's nothing to worry about there.
DJ Jonasty 11:52 AM - 29 September, 2011
This is a great idea! Nice job Serato. It's great to expand across more controllers and open access for a lot less $. I feel like the DJ scene is blowing up this morning, haha. WIsh I had one of these little controllers to test it out with.
Will Love 11:57 AM - 29 September, 2011
Ok, thank you for responding. But I look at it like a single parent raising too many kids.
Jack of all trades but master at none, et al etc yadayada.

It's another piece of software that does the same thing, use co trolleys, but is cheaper bc of Serato licensing.

This is in the interest of the company, not the consumer. If it were for the consumer it would of added the controller support to already established Itch.
Just IMHO.
Thanks for fielding the comments.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 12:01 PM - 29 September, 2011
No worries at all man, I'm just trying to let you know that the release of Serato DJ Intro shouldn't have you worried. I can assure of that as a Scratch Live user myself :) We wouldn't be doing this if we didn't think we could make all of our products work at their best!

It's one in the morning here in NZ so I'm off for the night. I'll be back to answer everyones questions when I'm back at work in a few hours ;)
Nonnus 12:02 PM - 29 September, 2011
Quote:
I can assure you that the development of Serato DJ Intro has not impacted on any ITCH or Scratch Live development. As I said earlier, Serato DJ Intro doesn't affect the importance or usability of ITCH or Scratch Live so there's nothing to worry about there.

right, as if the dev resources used on this new product could not have been focused on faster bugfixes for the existing products...

Quote:

This is in the interest of the company, not the consumer. If it were for the consumer it would of added the controller support to already established Itch.
Just IMHO.

imho too
phatbob 12:04 PM - 29 September, 2011
Quote:

right, as if the dev resources used on this new product could not have been focused on faster bugfixes for the existing products...
DJ Dub Cowboy 12:08 PM - 29 September, 2011
I have to agree with Will, it already seemed like Serato is spread too thin. Updates to existing products have been slow and when they come they are buggy.

When it was just Scratch Live, things were ROCK SOLID

now it's far from it.

I was kind of hoping that Itch and Scratch would merge one day and the interface would just change depending on what you plug into it.
Will Love 12:14 PM - 29 September, 2011
Like Traktor Scratch does. yes me too. Conforms to what you use at the time.
Nonnus 12:15 PM - 29 September, 2011
Quote:
I was kind of hoping that Itch and Scratch would merge one day and the interface would just change depending on what you plug into it.

me too (and i suppose we are not alone) but it does seem to be heading the exact opposite way

also, the simple fact that they ever considered releasing such a new product before updating / bugfixing the existing products is so disrespectful with their supporting user that i cannot even know what to say about the fact that they actually did it
Eskei83 12:22 PM - 29 September, 2011
Quote:

I'm sold.

+1
Will Love 12:23 PM - 29 September, 2011
I feel you. I just ordered an SL 4 YESTERDAY. 900$!
I'm glad I've got 30 days bc I may just work back into my xone 4D with the new TSP2 due to all this.
I want a focused company that fixes things before they make new inferior Buggy products.
Eskei83 12:25 PM - 29 September, 2011
Quote:

i think that this will happen in the future!
Will Love 12:26 PM - 29 September, 2011
I'd never perform with something like that. The sound quality is crrrap with almost every controller I've heard in that price range, IMHO. They're usually 16bit(in sound card terms, that's like saying 8 bit, a cd will blow away most controller sound cards ESP on larger systems.)
blackavenger 12:28 PM - 29 September, 2011
Quote:
I want a focused company that fixes things before they make new inferior Buggy products.

I'm sure this is the sentiment of many 'a faithful Serato users today!!!

Damn, Serato, get your act together!

Quote:

I remember those days :/
Razy 12:35 PM - 29 September, 2011
great idea. its damn brilliant.

what is your problem? the software is for FREE !!!!!!!!!
now they hit against VDJ and Traktor in de low sector.
once again, it is for free!

they give us every update for free, they give us new technology for free (the bridge,...).
dont be sad... i dont know any other company that is as good as serato.
DJSi UK 12:37 PM - 29 September, 2011
I agree with DJ Dub Cowboy, really by now there should be one software application that changes depending on your hardware device.
Paco71 12:44 PM - 29 September, 2011
I don't agree My Scratch Live Is Rocking Solid...
Vic Vybez 1:12 PM - 29 September, 2011
Quote:

Quote:
want a focused company that fixes things before they make new inferior Buggy products.

+1
I guess this is the solution for the DJ's using the DDJ-S1 and NS6 since ITCH crashes and freezes constantly with those controllers. Troubleshooting step 1; Try Buy Something Cheaper In The Intro Level! SERATO INTRO!
Will Love 1:21 PM - 29 September, 2011
I think we all agree we like Serato and it’s products including Rane hardware. Yes I think it’s overpriced given what I see in comparison, but not the issue.

An entirely new app that does the same thing as ITCH, just does less. It’s licencing.
Serato Scratch just Rane…..
Itch was a handful of cheap controllers.
DJ intro seems to be aimed at cheaper controllers.

One, sturdy product, with all the resources for two projects would, in theory, make a better program.

Off topic but I think the sales market is killing DJs reputation, if we have one left ;).
IMHO we don’t need any ‘dumbed down' or any more 'entry level' dj equipment. We need more progressive equipment. Hasn’t this market strategy flooded the scene with a bunch of people with no taste or ear, getting your gigs and not knowing what they’re doing? I see it when booking djs all the time. See them perform and they have no clue about a phrase, key, or bar, other than where they get their beer and have the hot waitress.
Will Love 1:23 PM - 29 September, 2011
traktor LE is free with most controllers too, and has the same functionality as DJ INTRO I believe. might be wrong with a feature or two.
DJ Pullout 1:25 PM - 29 September, 2011
Its def the right business decision for Serato Intro.

More new sales. And hopefully they get hooked and end up buying serato or Itch. Makes perfect sense.
DJ Pullout 1:26 PM - 29 September, 2011
DOLLA DOLLA BILL YA'LL
Will Love 1:27 PM - 29 September, 2011
Exactly!
blackavenger 1:32 PM - 29 September, 2011
Quote:
hopefully they get hooked and end up buying serato or Itch

You mean ScratchLIVE or Itch....they are both made by Serato ;)

::I'm just fuckin' with Ya'::
Jason_2Ray 1:34 PM - 29 September, 2011
itch 2.1 is still buggy , please ensure that more RnD is placed on this product as the Controllers are really not cheap. Yes , Intro is a scaled down version of Itch , I do understand that Serato wants to remain competitive in the Market , hence the release of a new Product.. But a word of Advise to you Serato, these guys here in the FOrums are your Customers , your bread and butter, they are the ones selling your product out there. Ensure their needs are taken care of first on a Premium Product before you break into the cheaper Entry Level market sector.

Serato has always remained a High End Professional DJ Solution. Ensure that it remains that way..... I will always be a loyal Serato Fan , however , ensure that I am happy and satisfied with my Product first.

Serato , you have always been a Leader.... dont be a follower now...Bring the latest Trends and Technology to the Table. Dont create too many options as you will confuse the Market out there. Ensure that your Product remains the BEST by ensuring complete stability on all your platforms
radikarl 1:37 PM - 29 September, 2011
Quote:
itch 2.1 is still buggy

how could you know?
i'm sure you mean 2.0.1
2.1 is not even out yet.
Jason_2Ray 1:37 PM - 29 September, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
itch 2.1 is still buggy

how could you know?
i'm sure you mean 2.0.1
2.1 is not even out yet.

Yes thats what I meant
Eric N 3:47 PM - 29 September, 2011
Quote:
There are pros and cons to both effects engines, for example Serato DJ Intro has less effects than ITCH. I couldn't really say which is better as they are both very different.

Offering even basic FX (stackable, at that) as part of the basic package on this but NOT adding them to Itch is pretty much shitting on your loyal fan base. I rarely use my VCI300 (I use SSL with video 99% of the time), but I have been looking on ebay for a used VFX1 just to be able to unlock FX. Now, for roughly the same price as JUST that add-on box, I can buy a whole new controller that essentially does more than the one I already spent a ton on. :(

Not ALL Itch-owning DJs are using beatgrid, 4 decks, etc. Many of us would rather see video and native FX than all of the other recent bells and whistles. And now this? GRRRR.
snob dee-jays 4:10 PM - 29 September, 2011
i see this as a nice attack on trakor.
WarpNote 4:34 PM - 29 September, 2011
Will Love, you won't be disappointed with the SL4, I'm pretty sure. As long as you do timecode on vinyl or cd its the best solution on the market IMO. If you want to be a "controllerist" or whatever they call themselves, look into either itch/ns6 or traktor/s4....

And I still think this strategy is a great thing. I do believe that this will make the requests for "make SSL work with controller XX" less frequent as they now have another product already working with it.

I strongly believe that the less extra controllers SSL needs to support, the more stable it will remain. Same thing goes for ITCH I guess, a few selected "higher end" controllers, and thats it. From a developers perspective this will probably mean less work not more.

And in the end, as Serato generates more revenue from this lower end, they will have more $$ to put into future development.
MAD_COWBOY 4:45 PM - 29 September, 2011
Quote:
Hey guys,
We hear you, but development didn't stop on all our other products while we did this. Lion support is very close, and we take all outstanding issues in our software very seriously.

So What About "VIDEO SL???" A year and a half and NO update!!! C'mon Guys!! Help us out please!!!
DJ Dynamite - NJ 5:02 PM - 29 September, 2011
SERATO IS DROPPING THE BALL (nm)
and that's the bottom line!!
Dj JesC 5:14 PM - 29 September, 2011
i like the idea behind Serato Intro its like a Itch LE version. I can see where all the hate is coming from....but I see itch going away soon and SSL being the replacement for it.
blackavenger 5:28 PM - 29 September, 2011
Quote:
i like the idea behind Serato Intro its like a Itch LE version. I can see where all the hate is coming from....but I see itch going away soon and SSL being the replacement for it.

If anything (in the VERY long term) I see ScratchLIVE going bye-bye.......Technics are no longer a company, and though I know there are other viable options, I see DJing w' Turntables as an aging craft. Before all the haters start pouncing on me, look and see that I still own the SL3, & Techs1210M5G's despite the fact that I purchased an NS6. All I'm saying is that for the next generation, Turntable mixing will seem unnecessary. In this hypothetical future, I see INTRO being for Newbs, and ITCH for Pros.....kinda' like it is now, but w' the exclusion of ScratchLIVE. That is if Serato are around long enough to see those changes within the culture transpire.
DJ M-Killa 5:37 PM - 29 September, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Offering even basic FX (stackable, at that) as part of the basic package on this but NOT adding them to Itch is pretty much shitting on your loyal fan base. I rarely use my VCI300 (I use SSL with video 99% of the time), but I have been looking on ebay for a used VFX1 just to be able to unlock FX. Now, for roughly the same price as JUST that add-on box, I can buy a whole new controller that essentially does more than the one I already spent a ton on. :(

Not ALL Itch-owning DJs are using beatgrid, 4 decks, etc. Many of us would rather see video and native FX than all of the other recent bells and whistles. And now this? GRRRR.

Wtf??!?

I feel you!
I've been using SSL for 6 or 7 years now.
In February 2011 I decided to buy a controller because I didn't want to carry around my mixer and turntable for smaller locations where they have only pa and lights.
I bought a VestaxTyphoon and Traktor Pro, but I missed my crates and the software skin I was used to.
So I decided to buy a vci 300 mk2 to use Serato with my crates in such locations. This is 2 month ago. I had to buy a vfx-1 to enable the fx.
It's about 800 euro for the stuff. And now I can use all that with the typhoon for free?
With a controller for 200 euro?
Serato are you serious about that??????
Ok. The typhoon has only a 16 bit sound card. But this ain't fair.
Maybe I should sell my vci. Because itch isn't rock solid like ssl.
Will try the intro. If this is as solid as ssl I think you guys better think about your behaviors in future.
I'm really angry about this sh..
I've could have saved a lot of money. Sorry but this isn't ok.
Now I think you really f...... us over.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 5:44 PM - 29 September, 2011
Maybe as part of Research and Development Serato should take into serious consideration what the current users of their products are asking for. I understand as a business you want to gain new customers and increase your market share but word of mouth is the best advertisement (that's how I started using ScratchLIVE) and if you start to ignore the needs and requests of your current customers you might end up shooting yourself in the foot because those customers might badmouth your product and lead others to choose a competing product. I've already seen a number of DJs in my area switch to Traktor
thebuttonfreak 5:49 PM - 29 September, 2011
Good idea IMO. Though as a pro user I was hoping they had something in store for me. It's a good idea to get the new crop of dj's using serato. This is a plan for the future. But as a general thing, I wish their was more options in SSL. Midi out and an internal mixer would be the tits.
blackavenger 5:50 PM - 29 September, 2011
You know, I was SUPER PISSED at first, but if anything this at least shows us what is in store for ITCH's Effects, as well as SP-6 triggering. If there isn't an Update in the near (like 2 weeks) future addressing this, then I agree, we should storm SeratoHQ with Pitch Forks & Torches. Though, if they do give us an update, what's there really to be pissed about, other than the usual's - "Bridge", "FLAC", "KEYLOCK" & "Video-ITCH" implementation?

I know Y'all don't want to hear this....I SURE AS HELL am tired of hearing it, but perhaps this is a time for us to be patient. BPM is over the weekend, who knows what that might bring for ITCH, or SSL for that matter.
bricejevinn 6:13 PM - 29 September, 2011
Designed for beginners? The entry level? Here's entry level.....get 2 turntables and some vinyl....not a computer program that has a synce button on it that litteraly does everything for you....I have heard for years that serato was designed to help exsisting djs perform easier....not take any and all skill out of it.....what happens when some kid learns on a computer program....finally gets a big gig and the software goes out....ok just spin normal..oh wait cuz he has never beat matched anything in his whole time djing.....taking away the fundimentals is not helping entry level djs or people getting into the dj world.....just sayin..ok I'm done lol
damehype 6:13 PM - 29 September, 2011
It would be different if this were Tuesday morning, but it's not. The show hasn't even officially started yet. Calm down, and if there are no announced updates by end of weekend, bitch and moan all you want. Let them roll out their business model and wait and see what's in store...
Brian J 6:17 PM - 29 September, 2011
WhattttttheF... I thought i was dreaming for sec.. Unfortunately i wasn't.. Why on earth serato took valuable time out of itch/SL development???! To release this??? What about the people that kept ya'll going until now?? This gotta be a joke.. But if it is it ain't funny! I bet this work with lion..
Brian J 6:23 PM - 29 September, 2011
Oh and serato, don't worry about the moving platters/itch sync issue! It's not that important either!
toasted 6:31 PM - 29 September, 2011
wasnt serato hiring programmers a while back? that was probably to get intro made
id be more pissed off if people were getting itch free with 200 controllers than a slimmer version
no doubt we will get a update in a few days then we can all evaluate it and give them a list of new bugs lol , hopefully the time spent recently has been used to make sure there isnt any and we get a really good upgrade worth waiting for
D CA$H 6:36 PM - 29 September, 2011
Quote:
Maybe as part of Research and Development Serato should take into serious consideration what the current users of their products are asking for. I understand as a business you want to gain new customers and increase your market share but word of mouth is the best advertisement (that's how I started using ScratchLIVE) and if you start to ignore the needs and requests of your current customers you might end up shooting yourself in the foot because those customers might badmouth your product and lead others to choose a competing product. I've already seen a number of DJs in my area switch to Traktor

This.
Dj Wunder 6:48 PM - 29 September, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

LIKEWISE!

....on the plus side, I would prefer the site to use this color scheme. It's a lot easier on the eyes!!

My balls are sore as well. Why 'Intro' and 'Itch' need to be separate offerings doesn't make any sense to me. Could they not have just given a press release like, "Itch is now compatible with all these cheap ass controllers, so even your broke ass can be a dj!!! ($100 Craigslist hard drive not included)"? Then you add a button in the Itch Setup Menu that strips off some of the more cpu intensive features, and voila, broke-ass-newbie can run a Serato product on his busted ass PC. Done deal. Beginners can flock to Serato, and the rest of us don't feel like we've been left in developer purgatory. Just my 2¢.

NOW, as far as this new colour scheme on these here forums. My first reaction was, "Oh sh**, the forums have cancer!".

There I said it.

Quote:
I have to agree with Will, it already seemed like Serato is spread too thin. Updates to existing products have been slow and when they come they are buggy.

now it's far from it.

Man, remember those days? The whole development team concentrated on 1 big project? Itch came along and SSL stability went down. So with this third project on the boards....[shudder].

Quote:
I feel you. I just ordered an SL 4 YESTERDAY. 900$!
I'm glad I've got 30 days bc I may just work back into my xone 4D with the new TSP2 due to all this.

I own the SL4. It is the shit and I won't get rid of it for anything. Just thought you should know that.

Also, from what I'm hearing, NI Traktor isn't the most focused, streamlined, bug-free product you seem to think it is. But to each their own, there are a LOT of Dj's who like Traktor, you may be one of them!
Mark Marino 7:05 PM - 29 September, 2011
I just wish that the company to help me not lug around crates anymore didn't decide to "dumb" down the industry......its bad enough that we can't get decent updates, or even an update to VSL which I paid $200 for and haven't seen an update in over a year.........but now to introduce a dumbed down version of Itch.....so newbies can learn how to dj.....whatever happened to going and getting some cheap ass turntables and a mixer and practicing in your bedroom for hours......damn.....serato.....buck up and take care of the people who made your company in the first place....."REAL DJ's"
Dj Wunder 7:09 PM - 29 September, 2011
Quote:
I just wish that the company to help me not lug around crates anymore didn't decide to "dumb" down the industry......its bad enough that we can't get decent updates, or even an update to VSL which I paid $200 for and haven't seen an update in over a year.........but now to introduce a dumbed down version of Itch.....so newbies can learn how to dj.....whatever happened to going and getting some cheap ass turntables and a mixer and practicing in your bedroom for hours......damn.....serato.....buck up and take care of the people who made your company in the first place....."REAL DJ's"

I agree with all of that.

I also agree that Serato needs cash for the R&D work they give out for free to us "REAL DJ's".

Perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea if Serato Dj Intro wasn't a part of this particular site. You know? Like something totally separate that you might come across in Wal-Mart, or Target, or DjDeals.com.

That way Serato could get their blood money and we wouldn't have to sit here and take it while VSL crashes every time I change a text effect.
blackavenger 7:31 PM - 29 September, 2011
Quote:

I agree w' you...the scene is getting dumbed-down, but this isn't Serato's fault. It is just the way things are now.......you have to accept it.....things will NEVER AGAIN be the way they were back in the day!

ALL DJ Software has some form of Sync now.
Turntable sales are virtually non-existent.
Vinyl is virtually non-existent as well.

The future is digital whether you like it or not! Take pride in knowing that you got to enjoy things when they were simpler, more direct. Also, that you can beatmatch by ear, something that an entire generation are going to be incapable of doing.
djcrap 7:45 PM - 29 September, 2011
word what a kick in the nuts

cause right now i don't really see any wide difference between seroto intro and implementing sync in scratchlive

cause the end result to both equals under cutting newbies in the dj market!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ooodjaceooo 7:55 PM - 29 September, 2011
You guys need to open your minds a little bit, there are a TON of GREAT djs that dont use the most expensive equipment, and can still rock a crowd, this is a great idea by serato to get more people to use their brand, and eventually work there way up, all i hear you guys complain about is serato itch and live having problems, when i have used virtual dj for 3 years, with my mixtrack controller, and NEVER once has it skipped, froze, or shut down, i get great sound, i can sratch, loop, mix, everything, VDJ also has a 4 deck platform, i understand wanting updates for serato, but this is a great move for introducing a broader clientele to its brand
FunkyRob 8:14 PM - 29 September, 2011
I was confused, I thought this was a new area where DJ introduce themselves.

Hi I'm Robert and I'm a funkaholic.
Nonnus 8:16 PM - 29 September, 2011
Quote:

trophy for the best post so far
feniks 8:47 PM - 29 September, 2011
blackavenger 8:55 PM - 29 September, 2011
Quote:
screenshot...

fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net

Loops & Cues Section looks pretty cool.
Serato
Clyde S 9:27 PM - 29 September, 2011
Quote:

that made me lol. :E
DJ Dub Cowboy 9:32 PM - 29 September, 2011
My name is Daniel and I'm a bitter old turntable DJ.
Code:E 9:54 PM - 29 September, 2011
Quote:
My name is Daniel and I'm a bitter old turntable DJ.

+1
the SOUNDINSURGENT 10:18 PM - 29 September, 2011
I for one just wanna say THANKS SERATO!! I can now use my Mixdeck for the smaller gigs and not loose the MIDI functions!! I've been playing around with it for a few hours and its rock solid! Wish I could launch one shots from it but hay its perfect!! Only wish I could record with but that's minimal....

Nice Job & Thanks
The "Sound Insurgent"
www.waxmuseumrecords.com
Culprit 10:25 PM - 29 September, 2011
thank god for mix emergency
DJ Dub Cowboy 10:36 PM - 29 September, 2011
if I was Rane, I would be pissed. I'm sure this will cannibalize sales of Scratch Live

this $200 software package does not make it desirable to upgrade to a pro solution for most.
Dj Shamann 11:20 PM - 29 September, 2011
Quote:
all i hear you guys complain about is serato itch and live having problems, when i have used virtual dj for 3 years, with my mixtrack controller, and NEVER once has it skipped, froze, or shut down, i get great sound, i can sratch, loop, mix, everything, VDJ also has a 4 deck platform,

There's an airplane flying over your head and it's name is "this discussion"

WTF does you having no problem on VDJ have to do with long time Serato users and their concerns that they're being left in the corner with buggy releases while Serato caters to kids with no money?

Quote:
i understand wanting updates for serato, but this is a great move for introducing a broader clientele to its brand

At the cost of alienating the loyal users who helped make this company what it is? Yeah great move for the brand!
Dj Shamann 11:30 PM - 29 September, 2011
Look, I'm not going to say anything about Serto Intro yet, other than I too don't understand why they just didn't add these controllers to ITCH. ITCH is already the ATARI version to SSL's X-Box, and I don't care how many ITCH users go on about "we're professionals too" it's still just a "lite" version of SSL AKA "Intro"

I'll bite my tongue about everything else for now because after 6 years I still do have faith in Serato and they've always been pretty good at looking into our concerns, so if they say SSL is still being looked after I'll take that in good faith (for now)

But I totally understand where many long time users are coming from in feeling that the flagship product they were with from the beginning is slipping big time in favor of trying to be trendy with the fad market who will drop them like a bad habit as soon as somebody else adds some new bells and whistles (we've seen it a million times on this forum, people threatening to leave because somebody else adds some new toy) <-- these are the people you're trying to rope in while leaving your loyal users feeling used and abused.
ooodjaceooo 9:42 AM - 30 September, 2011
shamann your a moron, so because i live in a smaller market, and am not loaded to spend 2 grand on turntables, that makes you a better dj, GTFO outta here, ill setup my VDJ and mixtrack, VS your serato, and blow you outta the water, stop being so narrow minded
KiddKutt 10:29 AM - 30 September, 2011
I love the video. Its like Hey anyone can be a dj!!!! Whats next serato? you gonna market a product for club owners? Like hey you Don't need to pay a dj anymore..... Just buy the new serato autopilot!!! It syncs and even picks the music!! By the way you should if named it seraktor.
KiddKutt 10:33 AM - 30 September, 2011
Quote:
shamann your a moron, so because i live in a smaller market, and am not loaded to spend 2 grand on turntables, that makes you a better dj, GTFO outta here, ill setup my VDJ and mixtrack, VS your serato, and blow you outta the water, stop being so narrow minded

I didnt even read the post that made you create this post but check it out. You go ahead and use your mixtrack and rock your so called crowd!! While the rest of us that have became REAL dj's over years of practice, digging, and learning to mix WITHOUT sync LAUGH AT YOU! And if you wanna try and take a shot at me for my post go ahead.... I gig a minimum of 4 nights a week at premier venues and I have 2 mix shows on two different syndicated radio stations. So say what you want but nothing you have to say will matter to me because I know who I am and what I do... I also know by your attitude that you suck. THE END
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 10:40 AM - 30 September, 2011
Hey guys,

Please keep this discussion on topic and don't trade personal insults. Remember the forum rules - be nice to others.

Thanks.
dj_spark 1:22 PM - 30 September, 2011
Smart move from Serato imo, tested it with a VCI100mk2, the sound was... awful, but I know it is the VCI fault. ^^

How come you can have fx chain into Intro and not into regular Itch ? Did I miss something ?
djclaw 3:17 PM - 30 September, 2011
this is so sad saying you rock a crowd with any software that sync is like saying your the the smartest kid with down syndrome
DPDJs 3:37 PM - 30 September, 2011
After thinking about it, Serato had to release a something at the intro level to compete with the other LE products. Once Serato hooks them, they'll just move up to the more pro/more expensive products.
Dj Wunder 4:14 PM - 30 September, 2011
Quote:

All personal attacks aside, I don't think the majority of us were rich when we bought our first set of TT's. We scrimped and saved and sacrificed, dreaming of one day putting together a decent rig to spin records and rock parties. Vinyl records that we searched for, digging through dusty bins in record stores, stacking chips to purchase singles at $4.99 a pop. Those dues got paid, through focus, dedcation, and study, and that is what makes us better Dj's. Software and hard drives will always fail on you at some point, and in the immortal words of B-Real, "When the s*it goes dowwwn, you better be readyyy"
the SOUNDINSURGENT 4:26 PM - 30 September, 2011
Quote:
"When the s*it goes dowwwn, you better be readyyy"

And most of them won't which is why they'll never leave the bedroom.........
blackavenger 5:41 PM - 30 September, 2011
Quote:
All personal attacks aside, I don't think the majority of us were rich when we bought our first set of TT's. We scrimped and saved and sacrificed, dreaming of one day putting together a decent rig to spin records and rock parties. Vinyl records that we searched for, digging through dusty bins in record stores, stacking chips to purchase singles at $4.99 a pop. Those dues got paid, through focus, dedcation, and study, and that is what makes us better Dj's.

Though most of your posts over the past two days have been pretty negative, this is about the coolest thing I've seen you write. This describes EXACTLY the struggle just about everyone I know (including myself) had to go through back in the day! My first set of 1200's took me 11 months of straight saving to acquire....I had a shitty Gemini Mixer, Stanton 680HP's, & an Akai Home Stereo System for sound. It took many years of diligent practice, and hours of digging at record stores to amass my Vinyl collection. Kids have it so easy nowadays, but then again, I wouldn't trade my experience for anything in the world.
Dj Shamann 6:19 PM - 30 September, 2011
Quote:

Actually it's you that the moron, and a seemingly insecure one at that. You don't even understand what's being said in the thread. First, where did I say anything about being a better Dj, where did I say anything about turntables vs mixdecks?

Read it again..

Quote:
WTF does you having no problem on VDJ have to do with long time Serato users and their concerns that they're being left in the corner with buggy releases while Serato caters to kids with no money?

This is about long time Serato Scratch Live users and their concerns, not about you and your mixdeck.

You're one of these people that uses a budget product and then takes everything personal when someone says anything within distance of that product (even though nobody has said anything about you or your set up) you feel attacked even though nobody is attacking you. You have something to prove in a room full of people who don't give a shit about your back story.

And LOL @ you assuming I'm narrow minded LOL @ blowing me out of the water. Quit talking about shit before you know what's up, you only end up looking like a dumbass.
Dj Shamann 6:23 PM - 30 September, 2011
Quote:
After thinking about it, Serato had to release a something at the intro level to compete with the other LE products. Once Serato hooks them, they'll just move up to the more pro/more expensive products.

As far as I know, the others offer upgrade options though, with this set up, someone who bought a mixdeck and wanted to move up, would have to buy a completely new controller.
KiddKutt 6:36 PM - 30 September, 2011
Last night I had a wake up call. I was playing with another DJ who was on serato. He's good at mixing. When we went to switch back to his laptop I put on a piece of vinyl. When he went to mix out of it a trainwreck went down. That's when It hit me that a lot of new djs mix with there eyes and not their ears. It's a sad sad time in the DJ world.
Nonnus 6:45 PM - 30 September, 2011
he was dumb,
if he was not able to beat mix then he should have let your record finish completelly,
cheer you and invite the public to cheer you too,
and then start his set...

too eager for his own good...
Nonnus 6:53 PM - 30 September, 2011
ps: not trying to say he should not have been able to beat mix manually, obviously,
but just pointing out how experience teaches us how to react to adverse situations
DJ-Sven 7:02 PM - 30 September, 2011
I don't understand this development step at all. It looks like, that DJ-Intro is a "Itch-Lite", but if you get a low priced Itch-Controller (like Denon) you have allready a "Itch-Lite".

I'm a little bit frustrated, because I own Itch now for more than one year and waiting for the BRIDGE and nothing happens, but they have the development power to create an new low priced software.

I think, it is not a really good way of marketing!!!
the SOUNDINSURGENT 7:27 PM - 30 September, 2011
While I can understand your frustration, where does it say that Serato has to give you the Bridge, Video for Itch or even update their software?? I think its great marketing, who doesn't want to be a Serato fanboy!! Now we can have even more kids saying they rock Serato..........I really wouldn't sweat it, half these kids will never make it out the bedroom anyways.
blackavenger 7:29 PM - 30 September, 2011
I just can't get over the fact that INTRO has those Chained Effects.....it really is frustrating that they released a whole new platform without first updating their current ones!

Those Chained Effects should have been part of the ITCH 2.0 update!
Lord knows ScratchLIVE needs some updating as well.
It's time to focus, Serato.....your loyal, longtime customers are becoming impatient!
blackavenger 7:37 PM - 30 September, 2011
Quote:
While I can understand your frustration, where does it say that Serato has to give you the Bridge, Video for Itch or even update their software??

It's written into their business model....

I am soooo sick of seeing people make this argument! You buy this software with the assumption (promise) of future updates.....it's ALWAYS been this way!!! It's not our fault that Serato chose to give free updates, rather than charging for them. But that was how they wanted it......it was the shiny lure that brought us in.
DJ-Sven 7:47 PM - 30 September, 2011
Serato said in the beginning of this year, that the BRIDGE for ITCH will come in the third Quarter of 2011 - now you can't find anything about this, but a new Software?
XRM5 7:56 PM - 30 September, 2011
Serato Intro = Netflix Qwikster.

Dumb ideas by fading, out-of-touch companies with even worse names.

As soon as you can spin videos in Traktor or Live, I'm out for good. I'd be using ME instead of VSL already, but the crossfader on the 57SL (which Serato forced me to buy when VSL first came out) STILL won't send MIDI.
Eric N 8:02 PM - 30 September, 2011
Quote:
Serato Intro = Netflix Qwikster.

Dumb ideas by fading, out-of-touch companies with even worse names.

As soon as you can spin videos in Traktor or Live, I'm out for good. I'd be using ME instead of VSL already, but the crossfader on the 57SL (which Serato forced me to buy when VSL first came out) STILL won't send MIDI.

57 works killer with ME. Try it. :)
damehype 8:03 PM - 30 September, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

As far as I know, the others offer upgrade options though, with this set up, someone who bought a mixdeck and wanted to move up, would have to buy a completely new controller.

Again, not entirely true Shamann. Yes Traktor 2 LE does offer an upgrade path to TP2 but only using controllers. If you want to use TTs with TCV, you HAVE to buy the Traktor Scratch Pro package. You cannot simply buy an Audio 4/6/8/10 to enable timecode functionality. IMO, this is similar to the Serato model. Only difference is you cannot upgrade from Intro to Itch w/o buying new hardware. But as far as upgrading to their professional solution, both require you to purchase new hardware
D CA$H 8:04 PM - 30 September, 2011
Quote:
I love the video. Its like Hey anyone can be a dj!!!! Whats next serato? you gonna market a product for club owners? Like hey you Don't need to pay a dj anymore..... Just buy the new serato autopilot!!! It syncs and even picks the music!! By the way you should if named it seraktor.

I can't help but agree with this. SSL helps DJs, but I think Serato or whoever else will slowly kill the market with an application like the one described above. SSL has opened Pandora's Box, there's no way we can stop this now.
DJ M-Killa 8:08 PM - 30 September, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

I can't help but agree with this. SSL helps DJs, but I think Serato or whoever else will slowly kill the market with an application like the one described above. SSL has opened Pandora's Box, there's no way we can stop this now.

+1
Dj Shamann 8:53 PM - 30 September, 2011
Quote:
Only difference is you cannot upgrade from Intro to Itch w/o buying new hardware.

Yeah that was my focus, I said "buy a new controller" because I'm still not sure why they would make Intro and ITCH completely different platforms when they're both controller based and ITCH itself is a stripped down version of SSL.

However...Watchwww.youtube.com

The Kontrol comes with pro, but what other controllers does Traktor offer (genuinely asking) that only come with LE. If there is a similar controller for Traktor that does come with the LE, in theory they could upgrade to pro and voila, time code.
Dj Shamann 9:06 PM - 30 September, 2011
Would it not make more sense to have the cheapo controllers come with Intro for the bedroomers, and if they want to move up offer them an upgrade to ITCH? Sort of like how we have a serial for VSL, you would have to input that serial to be able to install ITCH on aa machine that uses the entry controllers.

Any professional Dj that cares about what he's doing will want to buy the quality controller or SL1/3/4 in the long run. But if it's about competing with other LE products as you said, to the averaage Joe consumer who's toying with the idea of buying Dj stuff, why would he not choose the company with the upgradable option rather than one that is "this only" or "that only"

I'm just thinking out loud here in regards to what you said in the original post I quoted.
Nonnus 9:07 PM - 30 September, 2011
Quote:
The Kontrol comes with pro, but what other controllers does Traktor offer (genuinely asking) that only come with LE. If there is a similar controller for Traktor that does come with the LE, in theory they could upgrade to pro and voila, time code.

upgrading to pro does not activate timecode support,
that is only supported by traktor scratch pro wich you can only get when you buy audio dj interfaces or when upgrading from s4 or from audio interfeces that were purchased without the software

ni x1 comes with traktor le,
but i dont think that is the kind of controller you are referring to
Dj Shamann 9:14 PM - 30 September, 2011
Quote:

Yeah I was only referring to the 2/4 deck/platter type controllers.

I'm still not seeing the divide here, if the Audio 10 comes with TS Pro, and the Kontrol S4 comes with TS Pro, both allowing you to use timecode, why is it that you wouldn't be able to upgrade from LE>TS Pro and have timecode?
damehype 9:34 PM - 30 September, 2011
It's just their model. The only controller that allows you to upgrade to Scratch functionality is the S4. And it's an addl upgrade fee. So, if you buy the Kontrol X1 and receive the Pro upgrade free by mail (otherwise you'd have to pay were it not for promotion), and if you buy an Audio 10, you cannot and will not get scratch functionality. You have to purchase either Scratch Duo at $349US or Scratch Pro at $599US. Which is the same thing if you wanna got from either DJ Intro or Itch to SSL
damehype 9:35 PM - 30 September, 2011
Correction, receive TP2 upgrade by download code
Dj Shamann 9:55 PM - 30 September, 2011
Thanks for the clarification, however the Kontrol X1/Timecode topic is irrelevant since you can't scratch on it anyway and need an interface for it to work in the first place. If you want to scratch you need to buy something with platters regardless. Their platter model, the S4 can upgrade to scratch capabilities.

If you're not a scratcher and you buy the X1, you have to have at least the Audio 6 (correct?) which only comes with LE but can upgrade to pro.

Intro cannot upgrade to ITCH (which in the controller sense is the "pro" version) without going out and purchasing a new system.
Dj Shamann 9:59 PM - 30 September, 2011
Quote:
***Their platter model, the S4 has it's own scratch capabilities and can upgrade to timecode.

Sorry, the new forum is still playing tricks on my eyes.
Dj Shamann 10:00 PM - 30 September, 2011
And forgive me for dragging it on, I don't know very much about Traktor, which is why I initially said "as far as I know"
Nonnus 10:32 PM - 30 September, 2011
Quote:
if you buy an Audio 10, you cannot and will not get scratch functionality

Quote:

With this CERTIFIED UPGRADE KIT you can transform one of the following products into a full TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO 2 system:
DJ hardware mixer/controller with the label "TRAKTOR SCRATCH Certified"
AUDIO 4 DJ
AUDIO 8 DJ
TRAKTOR AUDIO 6
TRAKTOR AUDIO 10
This product DOES NOT include the audio interface!

www.native-instruments.com
DPDJs 1:42 AM - 1 October, 2011
See ya Nonnus, I assume you're going to start spending your time on the NI forums.
Nonnus 2:13 AM - 1 October, 2011
lol, no not really,
just providing accurate info :)
damehype 3:04 AM - 1 October, 2011
Quote:
2. Which TRAKTOR versions allow for "hands-on" timecode control through turntables and CD decks?

TRAKTOR SCRATCH DUO 2 and TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO 2.

Please note that you CANNOT combine a TRAKTOR LE, DUO or PRO software with a TRAKTOR AUDIO interface to create a SCRATCH system with timecode control. Timecode control is only possible via a SCRATCH system.

^This is what I was saying. Even with your scenario Nonnus. Say you buy an X1 before the end of the month. At $199 you get the free TP2 upgrade from LE. Then you go out and buy an Audio 6 at $279. You cannot just use those two to gain Scratch functionality. You must then spend and additional $339 for the certified Scratch upgrade. So.... $199 + $279+ $339 = $817. Mind you that an X1 doesn't have platters. Conversely, someone buys a Mixtrack Pro at $249. Dj Intro = free. They outgrow that and decide to move on to SSL. SL2 = $499. $499 + $249 = $748. Similar, no?
Nonnus 3:20 AM - 1 October, 2011
@damehype: there seems to be some misunderstanding, there in no such thing as "my scenario", i never tried to compare the offers between ni or serato...
just provided the correct info regarding the possibility of upgrading a ni audio interface to a traktor scratch system following the question posed by @dj shamann and your replies

in any case:
- to get scratch system on ni you need to buy one of the two scratch systems, duo or pro (they include the audio 6 and 10 respectively) or get the upgrade kit for a softwareless ni audio card or kontrol s4
- the x1 contoller purchase (including the summer free upgrade to tpro or not) is irrelevant regarding upgrade to traktor scratch (x1 is usually only used to control fx, hotcues, loops in this kind of setup)
Nonnus 3:22 AM - 1 October, 2011
btw: i just mentioned the x1 as it is the other official traktor controller that comes bundled with le and stated right away it should not be the kind of controllers @dj shamann was asking about...
Quote:
damehype 4:30 AM - 1 October, 2011
Agreed. I was just trying to show shamann that the costs associated with upgrading were similar
dj ask 6:16 AM - 1 October, 2011
sold my Serato equipment. no more. sorry. Im tired of it. I waited for itch 2, i waited for the bridge and it never came. and now i open my email and see that u have a new software? i didnt sell my equipment today, but i couldnt be happier i did. serato is so over rated that its sad.
Dj Wunder 6:47 AM - 1 October, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
All personal attacks aside, I don't think the majority of us were rich when we bought our first set of TT's. We scrimped and saved and sacrificed, dreaming of one day putting together a decent rig to spin records and rock parties. Vinyl records that we searched for, digging through dusty bins in record stores, stacking chips to purchase singles at $4.99 a pop. Those dues got paid, through focus, dedcation, and study, and that is what makes us better Dj's.

Though most of your posts over the past two days have been pretty negative, this is about the coolest thing I've seen you write. This describes EXACTLY the struggle just about everyone I know (including myself) had to go through back in the day! My first set of 1200's took me 11 months of straight saving to acquire....I had a shitty Gemini Mixer, Stanton 680HP's, & an Akai Home Stereo System for sound. It took many years of diligent practice, and hours of digging at record stores to amass my Vinyl collection. Kids have it so easy nowadays, but then again, I wouldn't trade my experience for anything in the world.

Yeah, I have been a little overly sour these days, must be the blue forum.
Dj Shamann 6:48 AM - 1 October, 2011
Quote:
I was just trying to show shamann that the costs associated with upgrading were similar

And with all due respect in this friendly conversation, you haven't shown me that at all since you focused on scratch capability, which is irrelevant since the X1 can't scratch period and you have to buy a separate interface to use it anyway, an interface which is capable of using either software.

Meaning you have to buy a bare minimum system to get LE, but that bare minimum system still works with pro.

To use Intro, you have to buy a bare minimum system but if you want to go to "pro" which is ITCH, you have to buy a completely new system.

(using idjnow.com)
TRAKTOR
NI X1 = $199.00
Audio 6 = $249
= $448 Entry level
+ Upgrade = $69
Total investment to try out LE and then "go pro" = $517

SERATO
Vestax Typhoon = $299
= $299 Entry level
+ Upgrade to Vestax VCI300 MKII
= $799
Total investment to try out LE and then "go pro" = $1098

Those costs are similar?

All of Intro's controllers can scratch, whether you scratch or not you've got it, so you're not upgrading to get new scratch capabilities, you're upgrading to get new software features and to do that you need to buy a new $800 controller.

Do you see where I'm coming from now?
damehype 7:41 AM - 1 October, 2011
No I don't. Because I wasn't meaning scratch capability literally. This is what NI calls it. I was referring to using time coded vinyl. That is the top tier, the flagship of each company
DJ Marty 7:57 AM - 1 October, 2011
You all sound like a bunch of bitches on PMS. A company can only survive off revenue and being competitive and create products is Serato's only way they can remain in the marketplace.

You think your stuff is buggy now? Imagine your software support if Serato was to go belly up.
Dj Shamann 8:43 AM - 1 October, 2011
Quote:
Serato had to release a something at the intro level to compete with the other LE products. Once Serato hooks them, they'll just move up to the more pro/more expensive products.

Quote:

Bottom line, on Traktor, going from LE to pro can be done on the same equipment. Serato can not. You already saw my price breakdown.

So yes, what I said about upgrades is true. Bringing in timecode is comparing apples to oranges because if someone wants timecoded movement, they won't buy an X1 in the first place since it has no platters. If you want to scratch or jog, you buy a vinyl system or an S4 at the least, the S4 CAN upgrade to timecode. Just as the audio 6 (that you need to use the X1 in the first place) can ALSO upgrade to pro and then yes, timecode.

Your timecode argument is irrelevant because If you want to move from one completely different style of Djing ie. non platter controllerism, but you decide one day you want to scratch of course you have to change hardware because it is a different category of Djing no matter what software you choose, Serato, Traktor or Torq. But with intro, you are buying one controller with platters, and if you want to upgrade features you have to buy another controller with platters which is in the same category of Djing as your first solution.

Quote:
time coded vinyl. That is the top tier, the flagship of each company

Depends on who you're asking. I would agree, others would not, but that is irrelevant to this discussion. In this forum Pro is not defined by turntables vs controller, it's defined by software.
Dj Shamann 8:59 AM - 1 October, 2011
I guess the point is this, to me going from SL to ITCH sucks because I'm 6 years used to SL. But to a kid going from Intro to ITCH, it would be an improvement. But to go from Intro with a Vestax, to ITCH with a Vestax at the cost of $800? vs. what the other guys are offering? As a kid with less money to burn (the ones Intro is aimed at) my money's on the other guy.

Traktor has way too many options to mix, match and move up. Serato's answer to LE does not.
Dj Shamann 9:09 AM - 1 October, 2011
My apologies to Serato, I'm not trying to convince people not to buy your product on your own board, on the contrary I just mentioned it to a friend of mine and even thought it might be a good backpack solution for backing up my main rig on mobiles, I just don't understand the incentive in the path from Intro to ITCH, a kid who's interested in controllers is most likely not going to buy SSL (until the mythical day that Rane makes a controller) he's going to look at your other series which is Intro AKA LE, and ITCH AKA pro and the price tag on "upgrading" is a lot.
Dj Shamann 9:17 AM - 1 October, 2011
Fuck I ramble too much, sorry guys lol
Charile Wilson 9:17 PM - 2 October, 2011
Though itch was an LE/cut down version with no karaoke or video support.

So many versions, can't they just make something decent.
BOOGIEFROMCUR 8:00 PM - 3 October, 2011
I am using the sl-4 box currently spinning VSL and SSL in HID mode (usb out) with pioneers 2000 and the pioneer NEXUS and believe me it's a zero latency ROCK SOLID system using macbook pro. (I used to be a TRACTOR user...)
I only wish that SERATO would make ONE integrated SOLID piece of software that as the DJ invests/upgrades/desires more he can move on depending solely on either a USB dongle or serato box and the external (any brand) hardware. I think that the "quality" of the software AND the hardware will attract amateur AND professional users and on the long run keep the company alive as the "pro's" indirectly market for the company.
With other words ONE plug and play software system that takes in consideration our wishes
such as video plug-in, consistent free updates and bug repairs, bridge, sampler and EFX support which work depending on which level you purchase. This all should be possible through a software authorization USB dongle that you purchase and can upgrade as you wish. I feel that in this way any paid customer and "pro user" can plug in, play anywhere and not feel bypassed as new and cheaper hardware/controllers get developed. The challenge for SERATO is however to avoid becoming widely cracked software as Tractor and Virtual DJ are at this moment.
BOOGIEFROMCUR 8:19 PM - 3 October, 2011
by the way strange that nobody is mentioning HID support which works like a charm on the pio's
phatbob 11:57 PM - 3 October, 2011
Interesting definition of 'charm'.

Skipping under heavy bass? No good.

Skipping when adjusting with the side of the jog wheel? No good.

Not fixed.

Actually works superbly with the 400s, but the 2000s have got some way to go...
phatbob 11:59 PM - 3 October, 2011
Totally agree with you that a single, unified program is what is needed though.
DJCoyote 5:04 PM - 4 October, 2011
Itch and Bridge ? never wait for this.

I work now with the NS6, APC40 and Torq + Ableton Rewire mode.
And i can use the FX and all other`s in Ableton (Line`s ,EQ, FX)
I can more do than SSL.

Hope Itch can do this in FUTURE
BOOGIEFROMCUR 3:28 AM - 5 October, 2011
phatbob are you having skipping problems with the pioneer 2000's in HID mode? I run this combi for quite a while and believe me I have a yorkville dual 18"sub 1m next to my booth on the beach (combined with a powered FBT monitor ) running on a QSC plx3602 (!) and I NEVER had any skipping problems. As a matter of fact you can run those players standing sideways if you want. Even playing cd's...I know about the link and usb being the weakest hardware point at this moment but I never had skipping problems with pioneer players..
I repeat that in combination with the sl-4 box it is a terrific combination but I wish pioneer/rane would make a COMPARABLE controller. Not a scaled down version with no dedicated monitor outs, small leds, small faders, less hardware EFX etc I haven't touched my backup cd's since I am using this system although I carry a 32gb usb stick for switchovers. The itch controllers at this moment don't have all the features that I need and want and worst of all do NOT support serato video. This pisses me off, cause I PAID for a video plug in that works with a dedicated serato box, why cant it work with a dedicated serato controller? If controllers are the future I REALLY believe that RANE... (with their quality/wisdom/experience they have with music hardware) combined with SERATO and OUR input can design a two platter controller that will outperform any controller that's on the market right now. including Pioneer and Native Instruments. I will dream on and retire before that probably.
BOOGIEFROMCUR 3:49 AM - 5 October, 2011
And I still don't understand why certain dj's are talking about getting a "less option" controller to take to "other types" or occasions..If they hire and pay me it's because I sample, scratch, loop, mix, blend, shake and serve the music/video to them the way they have seen/hear me do it (including the sonic quality!!) somewhere else and any customer/fan/clubowner should consider it as an INSULT if I gave them anything less.The reality is that you are limited if you're using less capable equipment.
That's why I ask for a controller that compares to the "PRO DJ equipment" but with ALL the serato functions, RANE quality and our "PRO forum DJ's "wishes.
If they start with something like that that will perform like the 2000's combined with the nexus with the possibility of adding more players (clip-on?) build in ONE package video friendly, with software update-able EFX layouts etc it will sell like pancakes specially in the pro mobile market.
BOOGIEFROMCUR 3:51 AM - 5 October, 2011
sorry I start to sound like DJ Shamann
DTHUSTLA 6:47 AM - 5 October, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

+1
phatbob 9:05 AM - 5 October, 2011
BOOGIEFROMCUR I only have skipping problems in HID mode, never with CD or anything else. It's a software, not a hardware issue.

To be honest bro, one 18 on a beach is not a lot of vibration. I'm on a wooden stage with 4 Funktion One bassbins embedded in the front. That's a lot of vibration...
BOOGIEFROMCUR 1:45 PM - 5 October, 2011
Yo phatbob I said a "dual 18 inch sub 1meter next to me" (not on sand) it's concrete but still I wonder how you have that problem. But I don't understand that the software can get affected by the vibration.
DOES ANYBODY ELSE HAVE VIBRATION PROBLEMS?
yo thanks phatbob you sound like one of the serato users that serato SHOULD PAY to use their programs in order to improve and it's really worthwhile talking to guys like you.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 1:59 PM - 5 October, 2011
I've seen this happen before, let me try to explain. If the jog is just between 2 "data points", this could hapen. Vibrations will cause vibrations in the jog and this will fire the "data point". Could be the problem not 100% though......
phatbob 3:33 PM - 5 October, 2011
Quote:
Yo phatbob I said a "dual 18 inch sub 1meter next to me" (not on sand) it's concrete but still I wonder how you have that problem. But I don't understand that the software can get affected by the vibration.
DOES ANYBODY ELSE HAVE VIBRATION PROBLEMS?
yo thanks phatbob you sound like one of the serato users that serato SHOULD PAY to use their programs in order to improve and it's really worthwhile talking to guys like you.

Its the concrete that makes the difference there mate... ;-)

Pretty sure SOUNDINSURGENT has nailed why it happens. It's extremely frustrating.
BOOGIEFROMCUR 10:48 PM - 5 October, 2011
MMM.. I play long non-stop sets with all music genres and I must admit that I sometimes blame A the "master tempo option or B the "bad editing" for drifting during long mixes but skipping? I must admit this is something unknown for me but thanks insurgent for the explanation.
I have NOT seen or heard other comments on this so I would probably blame it on faulty players.
This happens for both players regardless of side?
And believe me this dual 18"sub next to me will have the ladies sitting on it get an orgasm when I play skrillex (dubstep)..and never skipped a beat.
YOOO.... SERATO TECH any comments?
MELLOHYPE 5:47 AM - 6 October, 2011
all this really means is that more shitty bedroom dj's will be undercutting real seasoned and skilled selectors for quality jobs.

but thanks for the awesome options serato.

really

anybody can be a dj.

if only they could make a quick intro on how to be a freaking engineer or doctor i could make a cool 6 figures a year minimum in much less time than it takes to get an actual medical degree.
blackavenger 7:08 AM - 6 October, 2011
Quote:
if only they could make a quick intro on how to be a freaking engineer or doctor i could make a cool 6 figures a year minimum in much less time than it takes to get an actual medical degree.

+1 .....LOL!
Lawrence 9:52 PM - 6 October, 2011
Quote:
You all sound like a bunch of bitches on PMS. A company can only survive off revenue and being competitive and create products is Serato's only way they can remain in the marketplace.

+ 1 .... lol
bajapanty 3:31 PM - 9 October, 2011
Why do so many people talk crap about serato for making another controller software, itch is for specific controllers that are all like $1,000.
The intro version is available for cheaper controllers.
For example, the mixtrack pro is one of the controllers that Intro works for.
The mixtrack pro comes with virtualdj and its terrible, so atleast now people with the mixtrack pro can use serato and not virtualdj.
Also just because someone has a controller doesnt mean they arent a "real DJ".
I have the mixtrack pro and i still mix analog. the only reason i have it is because i cant afford scratch live and cdj's. Once i get enough money I'll get the more expensive stuff.
it pisses me off wen people say things about controller djs. just cuz u can afford expensive gear doesnt mean your a "real DJ' or even a good dj. I know djs that have a pioneer mixer with technics and scratch live and they suck. Im better than them and ill i have is a controller. So please dont talk crap about controller DJ's or serato, they did me and alot of DJ's with no money a favor by giving us a better software.
Sen 4:18 PM - 9 October, 2011
lol Let's fix some bugs baby
Dj Wunder 5:14 PM - 9 October, 2011
Quote:
Why do so many people talk crap about serato for making another controller software, itch is for specific controllers that are all like $1,000.
The intro version is available for cheaper controllers.
For example, the mixtrack pro is one of the controllers that Intro works for.
The mixtrack pro comes with virtualdj and its terrible, so atleast now people with the mixtrack pro can use serato and not virtualdj.
Also just because someone has a controller doesnt mean they arent a "real DJ".
I have the mixtrack pro and i still mix analog. the only reason i have it is because i cant afford scratch live and cdj's. Once i get enough money I'll get the more expensive stuff.
it pisses me off wen people say things about controller djs. just cuz u can afford expensive gear doesnt mean your a "real DJ' or even a good dj. I know djs that have a pioneer mixer with technics and scratch live and they suck. Im better than them and ill i have is a controller. So please dont talk crap about controller DJ's or serato, they did me and alot of DJ's with no money a favor by giving us a better software.

Hey, no disrespect man, but I think the "real DJ's use real gear" mentality is based mainly on the fact that if you're worth a sh** as a Dj, then you're worth booking on gigs, and as long as you aren't undercutting the hell out of everybody or working for free beer and a go-go dancers phone #, then you should have more than enough money to buy some technics and an SL2. I believe you when you say you're better on your controller than lots of guys with high end gear running SSL, tons of these guys have too much of daddy's money in their pockets and too little sense. Or work ethic. Or musical skill. But yeah, you'll be there with the big boy gear soon, just keep at it! Until then pardon me if I see you in the club with a mixtrack pro and cry a little.
DPDJs 5:34 PM - 9 October, 2011
But Intro is not for the Rane, Technics crowd. It's for the folks who just love music. You get that, right?

There aren't just DJ's and not-DJ's, get over it already.
Dj Wunder 6:15 PM - 9 October, 2011
Quote:
But Intro is not for the Rane, Technics crowd. It's for the folks who just love music. You get that, right?

There aren't just DJ's and not-DJ's, get over it already.

Of course I get that Serato needs to neglect the program I use as a full-time working Dj so they can develop a program that allows music lovers to 'play Dj' for their friends and throw some cash into the company that will hopefully turn around and use that cashflow to fix SSL. If every Indie Tom, Dubstep Dick, and Hipster Harry wants to get in to mixing music, more power to them. I agree there's no use in categorizing Dj's and not-Dj's, But if I had to make that distinction, I'd say the guy who does it for a living is the former, and the "music lover" who wants to get their feet wet with an entry level version of the program used by professionals is the latter. Just an opinion.
DPDJs 1:39 AM - 10 October, 2011
I'd probably have that opinion as well if DJing was my only source of income. Serato is a business too, they have to compete as well. The competition won a lot of supporters by handing out their LE software. It's all about brand loyalty and sticking with what you know, Serato needed to jump into the "Intro" market.

I've only used Serato software and likely will never switch, I'm loyal that way. If I had gone with Tractor upfront I'd probably be saying the same thing about them. With that said, if ITCH goes to sh!t I'll go elsewhere, but we know that's not going to happen. :-)
Dj Wunder 1:58 AM - 10 October, 2011
Quote:
The competition won a lot of supporters by handing out their LE software. It's all about brand loyalty and sticking with what you know, Serato needed to jump into the "Intro" market.

True, true
Maskrider 3:41 AM - 10 October, 2011
It is a business move for everybody that is bitching about it.....Stop thinking about yourself for once.......lol
the SOUNDINSURGENT 3:54 AM - 10 October, 2011
I've found a good use for it! I plug in my Mixdeck and SL3, then I open the DJ Intro software as well as SSL. Now I can have 2 dj s running 4 decks, 2 turntables and the Mixdeck, all off the same laptop!! Take that SL4, lol! No but seriously it does work and is pretty fun. Y'all should try it...........
Peedi Rothsteen 5:02 AM - 10 October, 2011
I love SERATO!
If you are anything like me then you are a "HOARDER"
I can't seem to sell a single piece of equipment i have picked over the years
and that includes a Mixdeck i bought a few months back...It's a decent lil piece but i bought it to use as a controller (wasn't working out) Until i found Serato Dj Intro...
And now i am proud to say that all the equipment i own...from the 1200s to the VCI-300mk2 (and everything in between) will benefit from Serato technology...Serato changed the game with SSL and now people who can't afford the flagship can get a taste of what the company has to offer...Remember, it's not Show friends...It's Show business!...don't take it so hard:)
RickD 2:01 AM - 11 October, 2011
I would have 2 chime in on the not real dj statement.....I jumped in & I was on a very strict budget...But I have also been saving money from every gig so that I can upgrade my equipment.....I bought some good speakers & my mixtrack pro to get started....I am now about to get a Mixdeck & SL2, & some Active speakers....We all have to start somewhere & I couldn't just jump in spending about $3000 on some Active's SL2 & TT 1200's...because in my area there are no full time DJ's we all work regular jobs with families because there aren't enough things going on here & when there are there is always someone trying to undercut the next.....So we start out small & upgrade as we go along....
RickD 2:02 AM - 11 October, 2011
& I think when I do get my mixdeck i will still take my Mixtrack Pro with me to use as a backup cuz you never know when something might fail...
BOOGIEFROMCUR 3:58 AM - 11 October, 2011
Great to hear that still some dj's consider themselves better on any gear than others, although most of the dj's I know that "used" to think that know much better now that "better" is something very relative (and dangerous to say) in nightlife and music business...but anyway... I guess that most of us don't give a shit if SERATO makes a thousand products but also most of us (including you dj bajapanty...) will want whatever product of SERATO to
A improve and get better as time goes by...
B give you expanding/upgrading/updating options because you want to sound better, do more creative things, scratch faster, carry less equipment, manage your library better etc
C be VERY stable so you do NOT have to carry that mixdeck around as a backup
AND that is exactly what some of us are pointing out that SERATO is not doing consistently as we feel that we are waiting to long on some major updates and better service.
KitK 5:27 AM - 12 October, 2011
I must admit. Even though I have used and USE SSL, I consolidated to INTRO for a small bar gig that does not require my full rig. OBvious limitations, BUT the biggest thing is that I feel a little ashamed to be using this at a gig, especially when people come up and take a look. Now, I have used SSL since 05 so I am not a SYNC DJ by any means, but it is just the appearance that takes me back a bit. I still kill the gig and play great tunes that fit the crowd and paycheck:) but, I wish i had a small SSL setup.
Maskrider 1:38 AM - 13 October, 2011
And that is where you go from INTRO to ITCH.
DJ 1 Time 12:03 PM - 13 October, 2011
I for one, would like to thank Serato for bridging across to controller DJ's. I been using the Numark Mixdeck for the last 2 years and wouldn't trade it for anything. Ease of use and setup without all the wires and external boxes, the ability to play any format, etc. I've been using Traktor Pro and Virtual DJ 7 Pro with the Serato skin. I've always wanted Serato, however, could not afford it. Serato is just doing what they need to do from a business standpoint, and that is to increase their market share. Well, they've got me!!! I downloaded Serato Intro last night and will be using it this weekend. In my opinion, this was a smart business move on Serato's part. Not everyone uses turntables and CDJ's. There are DJ's that use MIDI controllers!!!! THANKS SERATO!!!!!!!
the SOUNDINSURGENT 12:16 PM - 13 October, 2011
Umm your Mixdeck is an all in one CDJ .........so you do CDJ's.....
DJWTF 12:56 PM - 13 October, 2011
So Intro has the beat matching feature I have been looking for and was missing from SL3 but will not work with my Rane box and CD's ... are you asking me to move to Virtual DJ then?

SL3 does not have enough scope for me to beat match ... I do not play a 1000 dance tracks all set at about 130bpm?

Really disappointed as I thought you had gotten over the problem and moved forward.

DJWTF
feniks 1:30 PM - 13 October, 2011
WTF??
the SOUNDINSURGENT 1:37 PM - 13 October, 2011
Hahaa, wtf did he say?? I couldn't understand what he wrote.......
DJWTF 1:40 PM - 13 October, 2011
Which part u struggling with guys

Forget my niggles about functionality of SL3 for a moment.

The point I am making is that the new software should work with the Rane box and not just controllers.

Why is this not the case?
the SOUNDINSURGENT 1:52 PM - 13 October, 2011
Oh ok, why didn't you just say that in the first place, lol!
DJWTF 2:04 PM - 13 October, 2011
Sorry was a little steamed up ... just not that happy about it!!
DJ Dynamite - NJ 4:58 PM - 13 October, 2011
in other words... you want a sync button LOL
DJWTF 5:17 PM - 13 October, 2011
Nope!

I want to be able to beat match manually like I can do using my CDJ's and CDs.

The facility on Serato SUCKS like an anteater on steriods

Simple as that
Dj Wunder 8:47 PM - 13 October, 2011
DJWTF I honestly don't understand,
Quote:

SL3 does not have enough scope for me to beat match

What do you mean by "enough scope"?

And the SL3 is just a soundcard, why would you expect it to facilitate beatmatching? All it does is relate the sound you make to the sound system, which I can only assume is a trainwreck right now?

Quote:
Nope!

I want to be able to beat match manually like I can do using my CDJ's and CDs.

The facility on Serato SUCKS like an anteater on steriods

Simple as that

The 'facility' on Serato for manual beatmatching is literally the exact same beatmatching facility Dj's have been using for 40 years. Two turntables being manipulated by hand with their audio paths cut together by a crossfader. A facility made even easier by a graphical representation on your screen. If that doesn't work for you, then by all means go with Intro, that's what it's there for
DJWTF 9:56 PM - 13 October, 2011
Hi

I must have my set up configured incorrectly then as I find the beatmatching facility is really poor and does not work at all.

I moved to digitial DJing earlier this year and researched Serato as being the industry standard.

I would prefer to us Intro however it does not work with the Rane box and my CDJ's which sucks.

My question still is therefore how come Intro does not work with the RANE box ... how can Serato justify this?

DJWTF
Code:E 10:07 PM - 13 October, 2011
@ DJWTF Not trying to be a dick, but just checking that you can beatmatch on your own without a DVS right? U must have your stuff setup wrong.
And just so we know are you 12? and just trying to sound older, cause when your write stuff like "I must have my set up configured incorrectly then as I find the beatmatching facility is really poor and does not work at all." it dosent make a lot of sense to us. apologies if english is not your 1st language and thats why we are having a really hard time getting your points across.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 10:10 PM - 13 October, 2011
Hey DJWTF,

Serato DJ Intro is very feature limited compared to Scratch Live, so there should be no need for you to use it over Scratch Live. Serato DJ Intro is designed for controllers, and doesn't have the ability to use CD/vinyl control like Scratch Live does. If you're having problems with Scratch Live I'd suggest you start a new help thread and one of our support staff will help you out. You can do this here > serato.com (click link).

Cheers.
DJWTF 12:07 AM - 14 October, 2011
OK I must have serato set up wrong seeing as everyone else thinks it you can alter the bpm easily.

I find that if I have a track at say 95bpm and i want to move it to 105 bpm I cannot get it to work.

It works if I alter the bpm say a couple of beats and thats it.
Logisticalstyles 12:33 AM - 14 October, 2011
You are talking about the range of pitch control.
DJWTF 12:40 AM - 14 October, 2011
Range
Logisticalstyles 12:40 AM - 14 October, 2011
Using your SL3 in internal mode you can get greater pitch range just like on a CDJ. Read page 17 of your manual.

This only works in internal mode. If you are using Relative or Absolute mode then you are limited to the pitch range of your turntable or CDJ.
DJWTF 12:42 AM - 14 October, 2011
OK will check it out thank you.
DJWTF 12:46 AM - 14 October, 2011
OK by the way WTF ... stands for Whats That For :)
Logisticalstyles 12:52 AM - 14 October, 2011
No problem.

Is that your real DJ name?
DJWTF 12:55 AM - 14 October, 2011
Nah
DJWTF 8:02 AM - 14 October, 2011
Quote:
Using your SL3 in internal mode you can get greater pitch range just like on a CDJ. Read page 17 of your manual.

This only works in internal mode. If you are using Relative or Absolute mode then you are limited to the pitch range of your turntable or CDJ.

Hi Logisticalstyles

Tried the Internal mode as suggested it disconnects from my decks ... think I am straying off topic and will start a new thread.

To summarise my issue is that my range control does not alter significantly enough when using Relative/Absolute and my CDJ's

Thanks for you comments and consideration

DJWTF
the SOUNDINSURGENT 11:48 AM - 14 October, 2011
So you wanna change it to say +12?? On my Mixdeck I can change the pitch from 8, 12, etc, etc. Is that what you mean?
DJWTF 12:29 PM - 14 October, 2011
yes

So at the moment I can alter BPM slighlty say 2 - 3 BPMs

But not by 8 or 12PMs

I have some tracks that are 110bpm to mix them I need to be taking them to 123bpm ... for some reason in SL3 I just cant do it
Eric N 3:25 PM - 14 October, 2011
Quote:
yes

So at the moment I can alter BPM slighlty say 2 - 3 BPMs

But not by 8 or 12PMs

I have some tracks that are 110bpm to mix them I need to be taking them to 123bpm ... for some reason in SL3 I just cant do it

What kind of CDJs are you using? Do they have a pitch range setting that is stuck on 4% or something? If you have a 110 bpm track and a standard pitch control of 8%, you should only be able to get to about 119 bpm. It's simple math. Further pitch stretching requires that you have CDJs (or turntables) that allow 12 or 16% pitch control...
DJWTF 4:52 PM - 14 October, 2011
Yeah mine go to 16%
Code:E 8:36 PM - 14 October, 2011
is your master tempo turned on? if so turn it off.
DJWTF 1:05 PM - 15 October, 2011
Ok will check
feniks 8:15 PM - 15 October, 2011
Wow....just wow.
Dj Prodegy 2:04 AM - 17 October, 2011
Why is everyone assuming SERATO dropped everything to make Serato Intro. Did you say the same thing when they made ITCH or the BRIDGE. I have enough faith in the company to believe that they have more than 5 programmers.
I love my SSL it has performed flawlessly, but I come across many people who would benefit from Serato Intro, just as records went away, then cds are on their way out, the MIDI dj is now a market fact and SERATO cannot sustain market share without addressing this market.
Give them time, lets see how it goes, I admit they have hurt the feelings of the faithful but I will excuse this if the end justifies the means. When I started it was 2 discmans and a gemini 2 channel mixer, try beatmatching with those!!
Logisticalstyles 7:36 PM - 17 October, 2011
Quote:
Why is everyone assuming SERATO dropped everything to make Serato Intro. Did you say the same thing when they made ITCH or the BRIDGE.

Actually yes, there was a lot of that going on if I remember. Mostly when ITCH came out.
Geo500 3:04 AM - 25 October, 2011
serato.com

help me plz
DJ Serventi 6:26 PM - 28 October, 2011
Pretty bummed here Serato. I just purchased an Allen & Heath Xone DX that came with itch. After loading the software, then the update, I have crashed numerous times. Any help I ask for sends me somewhere else that does not help me. I have SL3 and have used it for a while, but I am starting to think that a good Traktor 2 map may lure me away from Itch. I'm feeling pretty left out after spending more that 2K on Serato products... I know that this is a DJ Intro Forum, but I would like to request that we are heard and that we can use our preexisting hardware / software before we "move on". Thanks for listening...
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 10:46 PM - 30 October, 2011
Hey DJ Serventi,

Hey have you opened a help request on our forum? If not, I recommend that you do and our Support Team will help you out with your problems. You can start a new request by clicking this link > serato.com.

Cheers.
MPC O.G. 2:01 PM - 31 October, 2011
Most controllerist dj's use Traktor. This an attempt to cut into Traktors HUGE lead in that market. This product has SYNC. When SYNC makes its' way into SSL, will SSL be a toy like Traktor (according to SSL users)? This is a business move. Don't take it so personally. I own TSP, VDJ, and VERY soon SSL. For me Itch is a good way to pre-familiarize myself with SSL's workflow. I wish it could be used as a stand alone without a controller, but, it is what it is. A TOOL TO GET TRAKTOR USERS TO GIVE SSL A TRY. Period
geminimech 11:54 AM - 28 December, 2011
SYNC just makes it easier to sell a product to a range of people. Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to use it. Do CDJ-1000mk3 users give 2000 users crap for prepping their tracks to utilize Quantize? I don't think they do. Also some of the comments here seem to unintentionally dig on guys who still burn cd's. But again I think it's unintentional as the focus of SSL is vinyl. You can use a controller and laptop, and still bring a book of cd's with you in case the poo hits the fan ;)

Back on topic.

I'm speculating here, but I would venture to guess it didn't take long to dev Intro, as it is a dumbed down Itch. I don't think they would reinvent the wheel by rewriting something they've written and rewritten/debugged ad nauseum. The real question to ask is if they have devoted development teams to each project, and how they manage the resources. We are all jumping on Serato for focusing on Intro, when they could have an entirely separate development group on SSL vs. Itch/Intro, and I don't believe that was addressed by any of the Serato folk.

I will say that the model seems flawed for Intro. I know it's to keep the Itch controllers from being cheapened, and provide cheaper access to the format, but there have been a few examples (the VCI-300 comes to mind), where there is a complete alienation of a group of consumers. There are far smarter people than I that count beans and think of ways to keep the bottom line strong, while increasing market share and not alienating customers, but there was a better way to do this. The N4 isn't cheap (cost) by the way. If I bought one, I would be wondering when I could work my way into Itch, or why it wasn't presented as an option in the first place.
dj_spark 12:56 PM - 28 December, 2011
I like how some people are bashing on sync but are simply align 2 bpms value on the gui, and aligning 2 waveforms.
And what about hose that prepare tracks to be read at the same pitch value on their turntable ?
CDJ1000 are displaying the bpm.
You can prepare your CDJ2000/900 tracks to be quantized too into Rekordbox.

All this sync/Traktor war is now history, the facts are nowadays djs can use any offered technologie to improve their lifes and their mixes too.
Having 4 decks locked on a bpm with quantised loops from sampler is better with some help from the box you can't deny it.
blackavenger 4:18 PM - 28 December, 2011
Quote:
I like how some people are bashing on sync but are simply align 2 bpms value on the gui, and aligning 2 waveforms.
And what about hose that prepare tracks to be read at the same pitch value on their turntable ?
CDJ1000 are displaying the bpm.
You can prepare your CDJ2000/900 tracks to be quantized too into Rekordbox.

So true.
PartyRock 8:19 PM - 11 January, 2012
Wah Wah Wah .... thats all i here about ppl dissing on controllers ... yes i agree a real dj is one that use vinyls no serato.... but now take serato away and most ppl that call them selves dj cant really blend for sh***... i'm an old school vinyl user that went digital it (serato) just makes the job alot easier.
Geo500 11:19 PM - 24 January, 2012
guys... this will solve everyone's problems

soundcloud.com
NIPSZX 7:37 AM - 19 January, 2013
Serato is becoming the AT&T DSL of DJing. The Windows XP of Mixing. Not Good. I am very disappointed. I wonder how much Traktor paid Serato to start this nonsense. No sync on SSL/No Flux Mode period. Why ruin a good thing, this seems to be the trend in technology. Companies do some DUM SHIT when it comes to politics. Thats why us true DJs that know we are the best in the world are better than any unhappy stupid decision making company! Fans and members always prevail. Numark is a FUCKn Joke, I paid $500 seven years ago for a program that never worked and was a subsidiary of Numark. Ever since then, I have never purchased anything with Numark on the label. Not that I would ever leave the 1200's anyway. Itch is Numark related, and Intro is just SSL but stupid. I am one small step from switching to Traktor. It might take a min to move and I love my 57 but Serato better get there shit together quickly cause one thing a DJ cannot do is fall behind.