Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Column TRACK not editable?

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL1
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
pueblofunky 12:11 PM - 25 September, 2011
Product: scratchlive
Version: 2.3.1
Hardware: scratchlive-sl1
Computer: pc
OS Version: win764
---

Why is the column TRACK not editable?
pueblofunky 11:44 AM - 26 September, 2011
Has anyone an idea before the ticket is out of scope? ;-)
Konix 4:27 PM - 26 September, 2011
Track column/tag (which is the track number) has never been editable in Scratch Live. Not sure exactly why.

You can edit this though in iTunes or some other tagging program.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 7:01 PM - 26 September, 2011
My guess is that it is a field Scratch Live wouldn't use since it doesn't import tracks. I could see why this would carry over from itunes and be a selectable field in our program.
pueblofunky 10:40 PM - 26 September, 2011
Guys, please don't always force us to use iTunes to do something.

I have not installed it. I will never install it.

I wanna edit this filed in Serato and not in another software. I think this shouldn't be a problem.

I hope more ID3 fields will be available soon because the "music management" becomes deeper & better - specially for me who is collecting music from the 70's & 80's and searching for the best masters on CD (discogs.com). Every day I get more and more tracks ... still missing "album artist", "release year" (ID3v2.4), "copyright", "disc", star rating, ...

I really love using the smart crates sorting and finding tracks but more columns would be great.

THANKS
Rane, Support
Chad S. 11:41 PM - 26 September, 2011
Thank you for the input. I suggested itunes because many people have it installed. There are other programs out there that utilize that feild and I imagine you could use them as well. I here your suggestions and will log this as a feature request. Thanks again :)
pueblofunky 5:28 AM - 27 September, 2011
Thanks

I want to let you know why I only want to use Serato and no other tagging software:

- Serato supports ID3 in WAV files (I only use WAV files - except promo downloads which I receive as MP3)
- Serato has a library so normally I needn't reload the tracks (25.000).
- Sorting and finding tracks with "smart tracks" is absolutely wicket.
- Serato has a superv view on the tracks and search method
- Serato includes a superb stand alone player with waveform (all in all the best!!!)
- Serato can update a just edited file to which I just listen without saying "currently in use".

Bad - why I have to use Tag & Rename (it supports ID3 in WAV):
- Much more columns
- Swapping fields (but only to make other columns editable in Serato by using the field "composer" as temporary column, swap the data back to the other fields.
** Tag & Rename doesn't use a library. Directories have to be re-read which is time consuming.

Bad for Serato usage as a follow up using Tag & Rename:
** After editing with Tag & Rename I have to re-import all tracks in Serato go get the changes.

Required columns in Serato would be (below my usage would be):
- Album Artist (TPE2) (used as "Release Artist" from discogs.com (also "Album Name" used as "Release Name").
- Encoded By (TENC) as "Track (Re-)Mastered By" (very important info to get good masters!)
- Disc# (TPOS) - currently used as discogs-release-id to know from which CD I've ripped the track.
- ISRC# (TSRC) - normally discogs-release-id because Disc# should be the Disc#
- Orig. Artist (TOPE) - Discogs Artist Name (sometimes they use real names and not the synonym (original artist name of release back in the days) so the release/track artist is badly named).
- Release Time (TDRL) - Year is the original release of the track (e.g. 1985), but release time the year of the release (e.g. on a sampler remastered in 2008).
- Subtitle - Isn't this the original thought name of the remix? "remixer" (TPE4) only uses the artist names. But the remix name (e.g. "Future Mix" would be in Subtitle)?
- Copyright (TCOP), and more for future usage.
- Star Rating === EYE CATCHER on screen during djing!!!
- "last modified" === modify timestamp from the file system! (IMPORTANT) (maybe also make editable)

@ Chad S. Please confirm that you have read this for a future release.

THANKS A LOT.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 3:57 PM - 27 September, 2011
I've read it but I have no input on the software. I will close this as a feature suggestion which should get the information in front of Serato eyes. There is also a feature suggestion forum, you have some great input.