DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

I hate my church minister

djchope 2:53 AM - 20 September, 2007
Im just feeling really mad..right now and thought i could get my anger writing this

So you expect something good from a youth minister, nice, cool, not a ignorent person, or racist. His only nice to the rich class of the people in church since he expects a lot of donations...everyone thinks his this nice guy. Ive wanted to face him and tell him why but i know everyone is beihind him..im not trying to be a bitch but his really a bad person,
and he was never a church minister he just one day decided to help out at church (he had connections) and he became a minister not a bad choice since he only has to plan out stuff for the church all day..easy stuff.

So every year my church youth minister plans a Dance for a bunch of teens..about 200. I asked him a lot of times if i could be the dj and told him i wouldnt charge much, He never said nothing back but finally one day he did he told me "yeah you can be the dj"..and i was good. but now his telling everyone (teens) what kind of music do they want implying that HE is going to be the dj (an ipod plug to a stereo system)...why would he refuse my offer..i told him i wouldnt charge much plus ive been dj'ing for about 4 years its a good offer im doing all the music work..and bring all the equipment...

-thankx for reading
allenbina 3:12 AM - 20 September, 2007
Sheeds 4:50 AM - 20 September, 2007
you know what you do when you don't like your minister? You call him out, then you change churches
sixxx 5:26 AM - 20 September, 2007
Religion is a big business... get used to it.
digital_steve 6:26 AM - 20 September, 2007
There's a joke about little boys here ...
Hmm ...

DJ K-otik 8:19 AM - 20 September, 2007

Hahaha, I was thinking the same thing when I read this thread.
deepdjdanny 5:45 PM - 20 September, 2007
1.8 now please.
DJMello 5:56 PM - 20 September, 2007
You're setting yourself up for failure by saying and putting into words that you "hate" this man. You must understand that if he indeed promised you something, and then goes back on his word, HE will INDEED pay the price for doing so. Your anger only causes you distress not him. Forgive him for it, move on, and keep doing you. Don't allow his lack of integrity cause you to hate. Never give another man power over your emotions or character.
DJ Cykophuk 5:59 PM - 20 September, 2007
^^good advice right there.
Fishr Pryce 6:01 PM - 20 September, 2007
Go up against your minister and Jesus; I think you have a win on your hands.
djchope 8:49 PM - 20 September, 2007
Quote:
You're setting yourself up for failure by saying and putting into words that you "hate" this man. You must understand that if he indeed promised you something, and then goes back on his word, HE will INDEED pay the price for doing so. Your anger only causes you distress not him. Forgive him for it, move on, and keep doing you. Don't allow his lack of integrity cause you to hate. Never give another man power over your emotions or character.

thanks for the advice...thats some dr.phil stuff right there
Certified Quality Entertainment 10:39 PM - 20 September, 2007
You DJ so bad even the LORD doesnt want to hear you spin.

Sorry had to do it.

that sucks though. Can you ask him if you are still doing it and see what he says?
Dj K.Smith 10:42 PM - 20 September, 2007
Hate and minister shouldn't be in the same sentence... Think about how important that gig really is in the larger perspective....
DJ Nevoc 10:51 PM - 20 September, 2007
^^ Good Jokes.... I'm gonna play devil's advocate for a second... Are you sure he implied that he was picking the songs to be an ass, or does he even understand how the DJ thing works? Maybe he was even trying to help and figure out what these kids like for you. Just saying. Because when alot of people hear the word 'DJ' they think of the crappy guy spinning there 50th wedding anniversary with 2 walmart CD players ready to press play.
DJ Josh V 11:07 PM - 20 September, 2007
Quote:
You DJ so bad even the LORD doesnt want to hear you spin.

Sorry had to do it.

that sucks though. Can you ask him if you are still doing it and see what he says?

LOL good one.

You DJ so bad,the last time you went to confession,you said:"I used pre-mixed mp3's that I downloaded from the SSL forum when I do my gigs.

Maybe the words been passed around.
Certified Quality Entertainment 11:11 PM - 20 September, 2007
hahha nice. where is sixxx to put these in the correct thread.

honestly. i would just talk to him and see what the deal is. he might go to you and say, Hey, look at the list i got. this is what the kids want to hear. see wat he has to say first
sixxx 11:50 PM - 20 September, 2007
Quote:

honestly. i would just talk to him and see what the deal is. he might go to you and say, Hey, look at the list i got. this is what the kids want to hear. see wat he has to say first

Wtf? Do your own dirty work. :P Come on... copy and paste isn't that hard.

You DJ so bad, you "copy and paste" my mixes and claim them as yours.
DJ Bonus 1:08 AM - 21 September, 2007
I like your 4th sentence

Quote:
Ive wanted to face him and tell him why but i know everyone is beihind him..im not trying to be a bitch but his really a bad person, and he was never a church minister he just one day decided to help out at church (he had connections) and he became a minister not a bad choice since he only has to plan out stuff for the church all day..easy stuff.
Certified Quality Entertainment 1:24 AM - 21 September, 2007

digital_steve 6:10 AM - 21 September, 2007
Quote:

either that or just let him put a finger inside you... that's what he really wants
dj hoodat baller 6:34 AM - 21 September, 2007
Quote:
1.8 now please.

+1PLEASE

OK i" forget it
DJ Cykophuk 2:20 PM - 21 September, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Its important to remember that ministers are just as flawed as the rest of us, they've just stepped up to help see to the needs of the flock, which will be largely based on their opinions and that of their mentors. This makes them special because of that choice to minister to our needs...other than that, they're just like the rest of us.

Additionally, the statement you made about getting paid above, is likely what turned him off to the idea. It would be a tough sell even if you were offering to do it for free, because he may not understand what it is you do...and may never understand that. Value must always exceed price in any negotiation. I suspect that you have not shown him the value of your service. Perhaps if you were to approch it from the angle of coordinating sound for the event you would be more successful. Find a way to help, without so obviously helping yourself.
DJMello 2:39 PM - 21 September, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Actually, that's what you SHOULD be learning from him. My advice stems from the Bible. You see, there are lots of people that know, hear, and teach the word, but far fewer that actually live it. Sometimes it's hard to actually put into practice what you know the answer to your problem is.

It's just like when noobs come on the forum asking advice, the first thing their usually told is to practice. Since usually that's not the answer that appeals to them (no magic tricks, or pills to take) they don't really want to accept it. Even though the advice is coming from people who are already walking in the shoes they want to be in.

As far as ministers go...Yes they are human just like us, but they have a much greater responsibility to live what they say because their actions don't just impact them, they could potentially turn people away from God who don't already have a solid enough relationship with Him on their own.
OG Supernatural 4:11 PM - 21 September, 2007
Whoa... Mello speaks wisdom.

Been in a similar situation and sometimes we can miss the lesson being taught to us by getting too angry. Typically at these events there is room for a few dj's to play. Money is almost always an issue in these situations. I have been angry when the church paid for a traveling carnival and several other vendors but when they asked me, I could tell FREE was the bottom line. It's hard to figure out when not to worry about the money and just be a blessing....

This minister is also a man with his own idiosyncrasies like all of us. From what you are telling us it seems he needs to feel important and wants the spotlight. He will soon be taught a lesson in humility. Pray for him and for some guidance through this situation. Don't let anger blind you to your lesson, causing you to miss all the signs along the way.
OG Supernatural 4:16 PM - 21 September, 2007
Whoaa... look at all the soldiers commin out the woodwork.

Amen, Cykophuk
OG Supernatural 4:28 PM - 21 September, 2007
Weird... I posted and it ain't showin up. Hmmmmm

Anyway, AMEN to what DJ Cykophuk said.
DJ Cykophuk 4:31 PM - 21 September, 2007
my post is also not showing up...guess someone saw it though.
OG Supernatural 4:33 PM - 21 September, 2007
Ha! The devil doesn't want any wisdom shared and is trying to delete posts.
njkev7 5:13 PM - 21 September, 2007
Quote:
Im just feeling really mad..right now and thought i could get my anger writing this

So you expect something good from a youth minister, nice, cool, not a ignorent person, or racist. His only nice to the rich class of the people in church since he expects a lot of donations...everyone thinks his this nice guy. Ive wanted to face him and tell him why but i know everyone is beihind him..im not trying to be a bitch but his really a bad person,
and he was never a church minister he just one day decided to help out at church (he had connections) and he became a minister not a bad choice since he only has to plan out stuff for the church all day..easy stuff.

So every year my church youth minister plans a Dance for a bunch of teens..about 200. I asked him a lot of times if i could be the dj and told him i wouldnt charge much, He never said nothing back but finally one day he did he told me "yeah you can be the dj"..and i was good. but now his telling everyone (teens) what kind of music do they want implying that HE is going to be the dj (an ipod plug to a stereo system)...why would he refuse my offer..i told him i wouldnt charge much plus ive been dj'ing for about 4 years its a good offer im doing all the music work..and bring all the equipment...

-thankx for reading

What?

Dude, hate is not of the Lord. Your part of a Youth Ministry, if the Leader is not doing right than you lift him up in prayer. Seek God first in all you do, not vent on the web.

As for charging the church, the youth fund my not have what you asked for. Instead of getting heated about it, just ask the Youth Leader if he still wants you to DJ.

Remember: Proverbs 14:17 A quick-tempered man does foolish things.

Relax and just talk to him one on one.

3 things that I highly suggest:
(1) Pray
(2) Do a few events for free (this way they can see what you do and how you sound)
(3) Make a mix tape or cd and hand them out for free.

I'll be praying for you, God Bless

DJ KEV – Gospel DJ out of N.J.
Street Gospel Mix Tape Vol. 1
myspace.com/djkevmixtape
mobius909 5:50 PM - 21 September, 2007
am i missing something, or is the whole minister schmoozing with only the rich a bit underhanded? jesus did not do these things while he was on earth. in fact, he threw the money changers out of his father's temple and overturned their tables in the courtyard. jesus encouraged the poor and helped the lowly.

of course comparing anyone to jesus is unfair, but shouldn't a minister at least try to walk in jesus footsteps? you know, set the example and whatnot?
DJMello 5:50 PM - 21 September, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Well actually that's what you SHOULD be being taught by your minister. Kev hit it right on the head. Lots of people hear, preach, and even teach the word of God, but far fewer actually live the word. Sometimes it's difficult for people to accept the answer they know is right.

It's kinda like noobs that come to this forum asking for advice about djing.... Most of the time the immediate response they get is practice. Not take this magic pill or play this magic record. They hear this from experienced, seasoned, and skilled dj's but most of the time the reply is "You mean that's it...practice??? ... Ok other than practice what can I do??" The truth ain't always easy to swallow.

As far as your minister goes... Yes, he is human, but when he accepted the call to ministry he also accepted a greater responsibility to live what he teaches, because his indiscretions have the potential to turn people away from the word of God, ministry, churches, and God himself, if they aren't mature enough in their own relationship with God.

I say all this to say, establish a relationship with God for yourself. You do that through getting to know His word.
mobius909 5:56 PM - 21 September, 2007
and why did i hear in my mind "dns - house of god" in my head while i read this.

"$50 or more..."
DJ Michael Basic 5:58 PM - 21 September, 2007
Be a Jew. That's my advice...I mean, I've never had problems with a minister.
MusicMeister 6:07 PM - 21 September, 2007
Quote:

How about a Rabbi?
mobius909 6:10 PM - 21 September, 2007
jesus was a jew... for a while.
DJ Michael Basic 6:11 PM - 21 September, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

How about a Rabbi?

I think I got in trouble once when I was a kid for throwing clay up at the ceiling of the auditorium. It never came down so I just kept tossing it up!
mobius909 6:16 PM - 21 September, 2007
lol, you were trying to give it back to god.
DJ Cykophuk 7:00 PM - 21 September, 2007
Quote:

As far as your minister goes... Yes, he is human, but when he accepted the call to ministry he also accepted a greater responsibility to live what he teaches, because his indiscretions have the potential to turn people away from the word of God, ministry, churches, and God himself, if they aren't mature enough in their own relationship with God.

Agree 100%, but please be aware that this dispensation was for the ministers themselves and is definately to be considered "latter rain"...if you get my meaning.

Quote:

I say all this to say, establish a relationship with God for yourself. You do that through getting to know His word.

word! (no pun intended...well maybe a little ;)
DJMello 7:31 PM - 21 September, 2007
Quote:
Agree 100%, but please be aware that this dispensation was for the ministers themselves and is definately to be considered "latter rain"...if you get my meaning.

Yep know exactly what you mean. Him being a minister absolutely does not make him immune to mistakes. If anything it makes him more of a target for ridicule for people who don't know any better.
mobius909 9:20 PM - 21 September, 2007
as opposed to chocolate rain...
allenbina 6:45 AM - 22 September, 2007
Quote:
jesus was a jew... for a while.

history is not yours to change at will. chiggity check your history books.
DJ Michael Basic 10:13 AM - 22 September, 2007
Yeah, he was a Jew the whole time.
mobius909 3:21 PM - 23 September, 2007
That is debatable. Technically, yes, Jesus was Jewish, but consider this...

True, Jesus was born and raised as a fleshly and spiritual Jew. He was of the line of David (Jewish). He went to the temple and synagogues as a Jew. He did still go to all the Jewish festivals (Booths, Festival of Dedication, Chislev, and Passover to name a few). No doubt, Jesus was Jewish.

But, when Jesus was baptized in 29 of our Common Era, he then started his ministry work for 3 1/2 years. He did still preach to Jews and Greeks alike, however it wasn't about Jewish doctrine and laws. He was preaching about his Father and his Father's purpose for mankind. Also, Jesus was giving a new model to follow, his example. Jesus was setting a new trend, one of love because of the hypocrisy that the Jewish leaders of that time were conveying to the people... one of strict laws, doctrine and regulations (Scribes and Pharisees).

On many occasions, Jesus had to defend his Father's principles against the Jewish leader’s strict laws and traditions. The Jewish leaders of that time persecuted Jesus because of his actions. Jesus was definitely contradictory of Jewish laws because he knew that being bound to some of the laws was not loving. In stead, he based his actions on principle (taking into account the weak, imperfect and the downtrodden, to reference our original discussion above). In fact, the Jewish leaders of that day were constantly trying to "catch him in the act" of being imperfect, accusing him of blasphemy, scolding him of healing (performing miracles) on the Sabbath, to mention only a few. One would question the fact that he was following the Jewish faith, would they not?

One may argue that even above Jesus head on his torture stake it read “King of the Jews”, but to take into consideration that whole account, the Roman soldiers put that as his “charge”, or his crime as a mockery towards him. The account says that the one that arrested him was the High Priests slave (Jewish leader’s slave). Would a High Priest have one of their own faithful Jewish brothers arrested, tried and given over to the Roman soldiers like Jesus did?

Now, to say Jesus was a Christian doesn't make much sense because by definition, to be a Christian means to follow Christ. He couldn't very well follow himself, but he was setting the example, a model to follow.

The accomplishment of his ministry in bearing witness to the truth required more of Jesus than merely talking, preaching, and teaching. Besides shedding his heavenly glory to be born as a human, he had to fulfill all the things prophesied about him, including the shadows, or patterns, contained in the Law covenant. (Col 2:16, 17; Heb 10:1)

The Law covenant made with fleshly Israel did not produce “a kingdom of priests and a holy nation” that would serve forever in heaven. (Exodus 19:5, 6) Jesus told the Jewish religious leaders: “The kingdom of God will be taken from you and be given to a nation producing its fruits.” (Matthew 21:43) That nation, spiritual Israel, is composed of anointed Christians taken into the new covenant. To these, the apostle Peter wrote: “You are ‘a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for special possession, that you should declare abroad the excellencies’ of the one that called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. For you were once not a people, but are now God’s people.” (1 Peter 2:9, 10) Fleshly Israel was no longer Jehovah’s covenant people. (Hebrews 8:7-13) As Jesus had foretold, the privilege of being a part of the Messianic Kingdom was taken from them and given to the 144,000 members of spiritual Israel.—Revelation 7:4-8.

So, would Jesus be in accord with something that was no longer Jehovah’s (God’s, his father's) covenant or chosen people? His plans would never be contradictory with his Fathers, which is why I don't believe that Jesus was a spiritual Jew for his entire span on earth.
allenbina 5:21 PM - 23 September, 2007
believe what you want.

say what you will.

history and ethics are not yours to pretend like you know what you're talking about.

<3

Allen
mobius909 7:03 PM - 23 September, 2007
all the history and ethics i know are solely based from the bible, old testament and new testament. i practice what i preach and believe what i diligently study.

correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm under the impression that you are jewish. what do believe is fact historically, if indeed i'm making up what i've read and understand? show me where i've been misguided.
allenbina 10:21 PM - 23 September, 2007
Its nice that you have faith in something that cant be explained, but it needs to remain just that. The bible can be criticized, and is in the scholarly study of early Christianity. However, just because you believe in something, doesn't mean its true. I studied history in college and in the process took 3 classes on early Christianity just to be able to converse in such discussions. If you want sources, I can gladly provide them. I wish you would read a few books academic books on early Christianity, theres very little debate about Jesus being a transformative figure of Judaism and not a radical revisionist. My only concern is that you're trying to pass off the bible as proven history.
DJMello 12:59 AM - 24 September, 2007
There is absolutely no benefit to God or mankind to debate each other's beliefs. After all a belief is what one person BELIEVES to be true.

I believe the Bible to be:

God's perfect word; the complete truth of the creation of the earth and man, and a guide for man to live in this physical world until he dies or Jesus returns.

There is nothing, or no one who could ever convince me otherwise.

With that said, I'm certain that other people feel the exact same way about their chosen beliefs. However, God gave us all free will to CHOOSE what we BELIEVE to be truth, so although I may not agree with what others believe, I won't judge others beliefs either. Too many wars have been started, and too many lives have been lost over these such debates. Is that what God would want?? I don't think so.

The fact of the matter is NONE of us have a heaven or a hell to put each other in so the debate is useless. The bible says: Choose ye this day, whom ye will serve...(Joshua 24:15)

I have chosen to follow Jesus Christ.

You have to choose for yourselves.
allenbina 1:29 AM - 24 September, 2007
[takes off headphones]
[unscrews needles]
hey guys, its been great talking, but i gotta go...
[slowly exits church]
mobius909 2:23 AM - 24 September, 2007
of course everyone has the right to choose what they do and do not believe in. I also don't force my beliefs on others, but the bible does require me to preach God's message. Everyone is free to listen or reject the message, but it is required of me to still preach based on my continual studies of the bible.
deepdjdanny 10:59 PM - 12 January, 2008
you're required to force.
mobius909 7:11 PM - 13 January, 2008
says who?
OG Supernatural 7:36 PM - 13 January, 2008
Casting pearls before swine???
DJ Bonus 9:30 PM - 13 January, 2008
or ostriches into pears!
a DJ 10:29 PM - 13 January, 2008

How wouuld you suggest he mixed those songs? Most don't have drum-only intros, and most clash keys. I think there were a few decent ones though.
Logisticalstyles 2:02 PM - 14 January, 2008
Are you a witness mobius?
mobius909 6:14 PM - 14 January, 2008
Pearls before swine... its an offering, put the word before "the swine". they didn't say force the swine to wear pearls. you force someone to do something, it takes away their free will. that also strips the heartfelt love you show would be able to show to God, not to mention limits how much you would potentially give Him on your own.
mobius909 6:14 PM - 14 January, 2008
- the first "you show"
OG Supernatural 9:06 PM - 14 January, 2008
Quote:
Pearls before swine... its an offering, put the word before "the swine". they didn't say force the swine to wear pearls. you force someone to do something, it takes away their free will. that also strips the heartfelt love you show would be able to show to God, not to mention limits how much you would potentially give Him on your own.

;) you got it. It's often a fine line....
mobius909 11:48 PM - 14 January, 2008
Quote:
Are you a witness mobius?

mmhmm. did my dialect give me away? i actually take that as a compliment. means i'm recognisable :)
digital_steve 12:03 AM - 15 January, 2008
How this crap is in the dj discussion forum i'll never know
allenbina 12:15 AM - 15 January, 2008
Quote:

PLUS ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Logisticalstyles 1:51 AM - 15 January, 2008
Yeah, it was your dialect. That and the 144,000. lol.
djchope 3:02 AM - 15 January, 2008
Quote:

i actually posted this a long loing time ago, when we had no "off topic discussion"
allenbina 4:12 AM - 15 January, 2008
i don't think we were suggesting that there was no off topic discussion. i was thinking of the other 1,000 threads they moved, yet missed this one.
DJ GaFFle 11:57 AM - 15 January, 2008
Quote:
i don't think we were suggesting that there was no off topic discussion. i was thinking of the other 1,000 threads they moved, yet missed this one.

Lol!