DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Country Music Playlists

DJ Kidd Insomnia 3:02 PM - 15 September, 2011
I am doing a wedding this weekend and have been brushing up on my country music, as per the bride and grooms request. Now I am no where near a country fan but I have some some knowledge of country music. Newer artists like Brad Paisley, Carrie Underwood, Keith Urban, Toby Keith and so forth as well as older artists like Brook and Dunn, Rascal Flatts and even Johnny Cash and Patsy Cline. I haven't had a party that requested a bunch of country in a while (being in NY you don't get a lot of those). 2 questions

1 - Is there anything that you play during a dinner set (slower like Kenny Chesney's "No Shirt No Shoes No Problem)?

2 - Is there anything you play that people dance to (not line dances like Boot Scootin Boogie) more like Big n Rich "Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy"?

Thanks for the input.
eagsbfd 4:15 PM - 15 September, 2011
i used this guys cheat sheet when I had a country event.. I typically don't play much country music..

www.mikescountrydancing.com
juelz701 5:50 PM - 15 September, 2011
How about Shania Twain-Man I feel like a women, thats a crowd rocker
juelz701 5:54 PM - 15 September, 2011
Zak Brown Band- chicken fried
Toby Keith- I want to talk about me
Sweet Home alabama
Uncle kracker- smile
Shania Twain - That don't impress me
juelz701 5:56 PM - 15 September, 2011
Kenny Chesney- She thinks my tractors sexy
juelz701 5:56 PM - 15 September, 2011
Uncle Kracker smile would be a good slow dance or even dinner song
p.l.o.style 6:35 PM - 15 September, 2011
wow i could def use this too! i'm doing a party this sunday in upstate NY too. never really delved into country but i think this is a good start!

good lookin! and right on time!!
p.l.o.style 6:35 PM - 15 September, 2011
what's up with country music in NY?? lol
O.B.1 6:36 PM - 15 September, 2011
slow songs, maybe some Conway Twitty

as for dancier stuff:
The Devil Went Down To Georgia - Charlie Daniels Band
Cotton Eye Joe - Rednex
Honky Tonk Woman - Rolling Stones
DJ Kidd Insomnia 6:47 PM - 15 September, 2011
Nice job guys. I have some of these already but there are some I didn't think of. Keep em coming.....
O.B.1 7:01 PM - 15 September, 2011
oh, and you shouldn't have taken the gig if you don't know what to play! :p
Dj K.Smith 7:02 PM - 15 September, 2011
You should have them make you a playlist for each part of the night, one for dinner and one for dancing because they vary...

Dinner would be more:

Thompson Square - Gonna Kiss me or not
Eli Young Band - Crazy Girl
Darius Rucker - History in the Making

Dancing would be:
Blake Shelton - Honey Bee
Billy Currington - Why don't we just dance (They'll line dance to that)
Kid Rock - All Summer long

Just a sampling of many more . If I had my laptop in front of me I could give you even more dude... LOL
DJ Kidd Insomnia 7:34 PM - 15 September, 2011
Quote:
oh, and you shouldn't have taken the gig if you don't know what to play! :p

I have done events where they have wanted country before. I see nothing wrong with wanting to expand my knowledge of country music by seeking the help of other djays. If the event required an entire night of country music I would have not taken the gig. I have been in the business for over 12 years and pride myself on knowing many genres of music and being able to play any genre at anytime. A dj should always be growing and learning new music. Thats part of the game. You learn by hearing what other djays are playing and studying genres. Sorry to sound harsh but I think this forum can sometimes jump down djays throat for wanting to expand their knowledge and library.....
DJ Kidd Insomnia 7:35 PM - 15 September, 2011
I think this discussion is helpful to not only myself but to other djays as well that might want to beef up their crate.....
O.B.1 9:02 PM - 15 September, 2011
wow, I was merely making a tiny joke after I had already suggested several songs...
-sorry if my sarcasm didn't carry over well, it wasn't a stab at you Insomnia, but more poking fun at the forum members who are so quick to criticize but seldom offer help... good luck on your hillbilly wedding!
p.l.o.style 9:04 PM - 15 September, 2011
Quote:
I think this discussion is helpful to not only myself but to other djays as well that might want to beef up their crate.....

+1
Quote:
it wasn't a stab at you Insomnia, but more poking fun at the forum members who are so quick to criticize but seldom offer help... good luck on your hillbilly wedding!

+1 lol
Rebelguy 2:08 AM - 16 September, 2011
Country Girl - Luke Bryan
Barefoot Blue Jean Night - Jake Owen
Any Jason Aldean - She's Country, Dirt Road Anthem, My Kinda Party
Stuck Like Glue - Sugarland
Keith Urban - Long Hot Summer
George Strait - Here for a Good Time
Dierks Bentley - Am I The Only One (CBC used this on their playoff broadcasts last spring)
Billy Currington - Long Done Gone
Terri Clark - We're Here for a Good Time
Scott McCreery - I Love You This Big
Blake Shelton - Honey Bee
Brad Paisley - Old Alabama
Jason Aldean & Kelly Clarkson - Don't You Wanna Stay
Johnny Reid - Dance With Me

Also check out this guys website. It's corny as hell but he has a country music cheat sheet that he updates regularly with all the classic and current hits along with particular regions.

www.mikescountrydancing.com
DJ Kidd Insomnia 4:33 AM - 16 September, 2011
Sorry OB1 didn't mean to vent like that. Thanks for the input.
Dj Ace 5:31 AM - 16 September, 2011
sticky...
DJ Kidd Insomnia 6:08 AM - 16 September, 2011
Nice job with this guy. Very impressed so far. I'll throw in a couple.

Lady Antebellum - I Run To You, Need You Now (Slow song, dinner)
Tim McGraw and Faith Hill - It's Your Love (Great Slow Song), I Need You
Toby Keith - Beer For My Horses, As Good As I Once Was
Keith Urban - Making Memories Of Us (Great Slow Song)
Kenny Chesney - No Shirt No Shoes No Problem
Alan Jackson and Jimmy Buffett - It's 5 o'clock Somewhere
djsyn 6:23 AM - 16 September, 2011
Garth Brooks - friends in low places, i play that song at the end of the night sometimes and almost everybody sings along and i usually don't play country where i spin. Another one i play depending on how rowdy the crowd is Hank Williams - family traditions
djsyn 6:24 AM - 16 September, 2011
also that country girl song mixes well with shake that ass eminem
DjPolarCa 4:07 PM - 16 September, 2011
Quote:
Garth Brooks - friends in low places, i play that song at the end of the night sometimes and almost everybody sings along and i usually don't play country where i spin. Another one i play depending on how rowdy the crowd is Hank Williams - family traditions

Quote:

what kinda party was that?
djsyn 6:04 PM - 16 September, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

just my regular spot. i dj at a medium sized venue in a small midwestern town so i play to a pretty diverse crowd. sometimes it's fist pumping craziness, other times it's hood music, and then some nights it's just playing good music that people can relax and chill to
Rebelguy 8:02 PM - 16 September, 2011
Quote:

Quote:

There's actually a remix out with the Bojangles beat on top of it.
DjPolarCa 9:07 PM - 16 September, 2011
interesting, might go over well down at the rink....
Sol*los 9:33 PM - 16 September, 2011
Dang, this woulda been useful a month ago. I turned down a wedding because they wanted country the whole night and I knew I could not handle that. Half an hour or so I'm ok, but not all night.
djsyn 9:39 PM - 16 September, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There's actually a remix out with the Bojangles beat on top of it.

got a link? i found the one from crooklan but it doesn't sound much different from the original just more bass
Rebelguy 11:21 PM - 16 September, 2011
Its from x-mix.
WICSJAIME 8:31 PM - 17 February, 2014
I looking to purchase some Country Music and Rock Music. Can someone help?
DJ VEE 1:21 AM - 21 February, 2014
iTunes , amazon, record pools...
Clubkillers has a small selection as well as barbangerz, I believe. Promo Only. Probably depends on if you want a lot or select few tracks.
DJ Reflex 3:04 AM - 21 February, 2014
Funny this came up. I got a school dance this Friday and the teacher calls me tonight to tell me that it's a "Country Theme" Do I have any country music? LOL
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 12:14 PM - 21 February, 2014
Quote:
I looking to purchase some Country Music and Rock Music. Can someone help?

If you are a DJ how about joining a record/music pool that is dedicated to Country?

May I suggest: www.countrydjpool.com

Not everything but a start for new and future releases - for $15 per month - probably cheaper than buying ala carte on Amazon or iTunes.

Also www.latenightrecordpool.com also is beginning to add Country - with mixshow edits if you need a pool for "everything"