DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Technics 1200's - The difference between models

DJ Matty Stiles 2:48 AM - 5 September, 2011
Hi there, I'm looking to switch from CDJ's to real turntables but I'm having trouble finding out the difference between the MK2 / MK3 / MK4 / MK5 models.

What are the fundamental differences?

What is the best / most commonly used in clubs?

Are they all prettymuch the same?

What is good for scratching?
DJ Dub Cowboy 4:03 AM - 5 September, 2011
I swear there was just a thread exactly like this not too long ago.

They are all pretty much the same and all GREAT for scratching.

MK2 have a click in the zero point of the pitch fader
MK3 and MK4 are Japan only models, the MK4 is the only one with 78RPM as an option and the only model with removable RCA cords.
MK5 and M3D both have a recessed power knob making it harder to accidentally turn off and they have no click in the pitch fader. They also have a button that disables the pitch adjustment and locks it at 0%.

The M5G has a pitch fader that switches from +-8% to +-16%

subtle differences, they are all basically the same
GilesDavis 5:01 AM - 5 September, 2011
Google, much?
DJ Dub Cowboy 5:05 AM - 5 September, 2011
you can't really go wrong with any of the models you listed
DJ Nightmare Productions 8:17 PM - 6 September, 2011
Is there any difference in Torque between the models.... I dj with these at my residency and I hate them.... the torque on theirs is not worth jack shit.. My stanton ST 150s just feel a lot more sturdy than theirs do and the torque is substanially more... I just can't get used to spinning with Techs,,
DJ Nightmare Productions 8:18 PM - 6 September, 2011
THe residency has MK2s
DJ Dub Cowboy 8:35 PM - 6 September, 2011
Same torque on all models. St150s do have more torque than the Technics range
DJ Nightmare Productions 8:41 PM - 6 September, 2011
oh ok.. thats what i thought.. I was just making sure
DJ Val-BKNY11203 9:07 PM - 6 September, 2011
Quote:
Is there any difference in Torque between the models.... I dj with these at my residency and I hate them.... the torque on theirs is not worth jack shit.. My stanton ST 150s just feel a lot more sturdy than theirs do and the torque is substanially more... I just can't get used to spinning with Techs,,

Are you using rubber mats or some slipmats? Or are you just heavy handed? Cuz the torque on them are more an enough.

I guess me mastering the art of scratching on shitty belt drives early in my life has taught me well.
DJ Dub Cowboy 9:10 PM - 6 September, 2011
Much easier to go from lower torque tables to higher than the other way around IMO. The only real reason I can think of to get used to techs after stantons is that techs are more common.
DJ Nightmare Productions 9:18 PM - 6 September, 2011
I must be heavy handed.... I didnt think i was... There techs have factory slip mats.... i guess they say technics...
The Oldboy 11:39 PM - 6 September, 2011
what's the difference between mkI and mkII that's what i wanna know.

are they even available?
DJ Dub Cowboy 11:59 PM - 6 September, 2011
MK1 (sold as just the SL-1200) had rotary pitch control and they weren't quite so robust when it came to deadening the sound vibrations from heavy bass.

www.turntabletech.com
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 12:35 AM - 7 September, 2011
Quote:
MK1 (sold as just the SL-1200) had rotary pitch control and they weren't quite so robust when it came to deadening the sound vibrations from heavy bass.

www.turntabletech.com

Wow, i have been DJing since the 80's and NEVER saw or knew about the original 1200 - i knew/seen the SL1400 and 1600 with the little knobs,
DjWoody 12:36 AM - 7 September, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

www.turntabletech.com

Wow, i have been DJing since the 80's and NEVER saw or knew about the original 1200 - i knew/seen the SL1400 and 1600 with the little knobs,

Ha! I still own a 1600. ;)
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 12:38 AM - 7 September, 2011
Damn you Woody....

Ok, I have a pair of the Original Pioneer CDJ's (100's??) so I guess we are even (useless gear we NEVER use).
Joee 1:33 AM - 7 September, 2011
Quote:
Damn you Woody....

Ok, I have a pair of the Original Pioneer CDJ's (100's??) so I guess we are even (useless gear we NEVER use).

i'll take those original cdj's over mkII or mk3 any day, they changed the plater after the first cdj, i never liked them after that
DJ Dub Cowboy 1:33 AM - 7 September, 2011
the original CDJ was the CDJ-500
en.wikipedia.org

then CDJ-500 II Limited
then CDJ-500s/700

www.djresource.eu
Joee 1:41 AM - 7 September, 2011
Quote:
the original CDJ was the CDJ-500
en.wikipedia.org

then CDJ-500 II Limited
then CDJ-500s/700

www.djresource.eu

i ment original cdj 1000
busanut2 11:26 PM - 22 August, 2014
Mk5's all the way. Quartz on all speeds not just 0 % like the mk2 's MK5 are great for mixing
 6 11:33 PM - 22 August, 2014
Quote:
Mk5's all the way. Quartz on all speeds not just 0 % like the mk2 's MK5 are great for mixing

Nah. M5G's or go home.

nm
DJred24 10:21 PM - 23 December, 2014
I remember in the late 90s I found a Panasonic with rotory pitch. It was white wish I would have kept it.

On second note, I picked up a pair of M3D's Technics for $320. Had to replace a tone arm clamp. Little pain in the ***."
The Return of Dj Sparky 11:16 PM - 23 December, 2014
the techs are a bit like the comments here, some were released years after the previous one
DJ Irv 2:30 AM - 24 December, 2014
Quote:
I remember in the late 90s I found a Panasonic with rotory pitch. It was white wish I would have kept it.

On second note, I picked up a pair of M3D's Technics for $320. Had to replace a tone arm clamp. Little pain in the ***."

The 1800's where pretty much 1200's with rotary pitch and no arm height adjust. There are solid turntables.
dj jamalot 6:12 PM - 24 December, 2014
The Sl-1500 was my first Technics Turntable with it's digital pitch readout it to me was better than a 1200 at first but then i sold them and got the 1200's bcuz everyone had those...
www.thevintageknob.org
O.B.1 9:41 PM - 27 December, 2014
I saw a pair of MK6 for sale in Japan and I wonder if they were released in the US at all because I never even hear people talk about them as commonly as all the other models.
AKIEM 9:57 PM - 27 December, 2014
Japan only. There was a company importing them new for a while.
DJ Dub Cowboy 5:30 PM - 30 December, 2014
MK3, MK4, and MK6 are Japan only
DJ Dub Cowboy 5:30 PM - 30 December, 2014
Quote:
the techs are a bit like the comments here, some were released years after the previous one

haha
dj jamalot 6:37 PM - 30 December, 2014
Long live the zombie's...
DjWoody 11:10 PM - 30 December, 2014
ProSound sold the MK6's for a while.
Dj C.E.S 10:54 PM - 3 August, 2016
So pretty much the Mk5 are Solid ? I'm looking to get me my first pair of technics I hear and see those alot
DJ Reflex 3:50 AM - 4 August, 2016
I just got my MK2s serviced... over 20 years of me spinning almost every weekend (and I bought them used) and they still hold up.
Dj C.E.S 10:40 AM - 4 August, 2016
Wow that's great can you you adjust the break on those
got2b Ru 4:49 PM - 4 August, 2016
Quote:
So pretty much the Mk5 are Solid ? I'm looking to get me my first pair of technics I hear and see those alot

....no..... not really....

you want SOLID, you can NEVER go wrong with MK2s. I have a MK5 (not to be confused with M5G) circa 2003 and it suffers from that erratic speed control IC issue that seems to be unique to the MK5 (speed goes crazy outside of quartz lock 0 once warmed up). Out of my remaining 3 MK2s - not a single issue.
Dj C.E.S 4:58 PM - 4 August, 2016
I hear you on the Mk2's but I need to be able to adjust the brakes every one and a while that's kind of a deal breaker for me
Dj C.E.S 5:00 PM - 4 August, 2016
Those M5g's look sick but those are hard to find for a good price
i am Dj fLiP 5:19 PM - 4 August, 2016
that shouldn't be a dealbreaker for a good MK2.

if you REALLY need the breaker, just use the Brake effect built in serato.

unless you're a scratch dj and want to enter 3style or other tourneys, then sure, I get why it'll be a dealbreaker. but even with the highly skilled scratch dj's can do brakes like noone can.
HighTopFade 6:41 PM - 4 August, 2016
Quote:

you want SOLID, you can NEVER go wrong with MK2s. I have a MK5 (not to be confused with M5G) circa 2003 and it suffers from that erratic speed control IC issue that seems to be unique to the MK5 (speed goes crazy outside of quartz lock 0 once warmed up). Out of my remaining 3 MK2s - not a single issue.

I have the erratic speed IC issue on an MK5. A pretty pricy repair. I gave it to my sister for a listening turntable. She doesn't plan to go outside of 0. I hope it stays ok at 0.
DjWoody 7:11 PM - 4 August, 2016
Quote:

Yes you can adjust the break on the MK2's. Take the platter off and adjust it with a screwdriver.
AKIEM 7:16 PM - 4 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Yes you can adjust the break on the MK2's. Take the platter off and adjust it with a screwdriver.

For decades ive had mine adjust to over-break into a slight reverse...
Dj C.E.S 7:50 PM - 4 August, 2016
That sound great wasn't sure if you could or not with the mk2 but this helped alot but the reason I ask is because I noticed when you brake long on technics they very different from all the other tables and for me that's just a beautiful sound and Love to throw them in the mixes at the moment I have a Ns7fx and Love them very much but I feel like I need to get the real deal now
Dj C.E.S 7:51 PM - 4 August, 2016
Now what are the best needles for Serato anyone ?
djransom 8:09 PM - 4 August, 2016
My personal favs are the Shure M44-7s, built like tanks!
i am Dj fLiP 9:10 PM - 4 August, 2016
447's for me as well.. not only it's solid, but it provides a good output as well.

but all in all, you're basically just reading timecodes, so you just need one that can read it with no issue.. but also keep in mind the styld of dj'ing you're be doing (ie; scratch dj, etc)
Dj C.E.S 10:17 PM - 4 August, 2016
Scratching
Dj C.E.S 10:25 PM - 4 August, 2016
Ok one other question what about the 1200 Mk3D I don't think anyone here said anything about this table any input on these
DJ GOODFOOT 5:46 AM - 5 August, 2016
M44-7 is my preferred but I also use the qbert ortofons. Both track great for scratching and juggling.
WarpNote 1:29 AM - 7 August, 2016
Quote:
M44-7 is my preferred but I also use the qbert ortofons. Both track great for scratching and juggling.

+ 1, I actually prefer the QBert over the 447. And those 2 are my main favourites.
And the 447 is easily damaged, not a tank at all. But still love them anyway! Either one is great!
lb1210s 1:06 AM - 31 January, 2017
Was thinking about getting new mk5s. After reading this forum I don't think I need to. Here's my story......
So had my mk2s for nearly 15 years. Been all over the world and countless parties. Even taught kids at schools. They have so much character to them. I love them. Even with one foot missing! Both plastic covers are gone (cuz they were also in a car crash)! These decks are like my brothers. They have been everywhere with me. Also one light is broken, one power button crushed. One tone arm is shaken and I can't seem to tighten it up. One earth wire is longer than the other without the metal clip. And Guess what!
They still mix and work perfectly!
So after reading this forum I will get them reconditioned and give them a good makeover. I'm sure my brothers would prefer that.
Dj C.E.S 1:48 AM - 31 January, 2017
ThAnkz for that I'm sold on technics and I recently bought some and are being modified as we speak but I got the technic 1200 dz's but the only difference is that mine are not going to have that center display it will just have a 10inch record with midi controls added to it as well they will be something like these in the link youtu.be
DJ Reflex 2:14 AM - 31 January, 2017
lb1210s...
I hear ya. Bought my 1200's back in the 90's from a club that was closing up. A bit of cleaning and one electronics repair job (bad resistor) over the last 20+ years and I still love them! Mix on them every weekend.
Dj C.E.S 2:28 AM - 31 January, 2017
For the time being I'm using my Ns7fx
got2b Ru 10:33 PM - 3 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

I have the erratic speed IC issue on an MK5. A pretty pricy repair. I gave it to my sister for a listening turntable. She doesn't plan to go outside of 0. I hope it stays ok at 0.

It's been about 2 years since the problem appeared and as it turns out, it was NOT the speed control IC that was the cause of the problem. I was actually D301 a 5.1v zener diode that literally cost $.80 to fix. If you can solder(as well as DE-solder) it's a CHEEEEAAAAPPP fix... Glad I am a procrastinator because I was gonna SELL this unit AS-IS at a loss...NOW I'm not...
DJ Matty Stiles 1:49 PM - 4 November, 2017
Just regarding this whole thread, lets face it fellas, for all intents and purposes theres very little variation between models.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:26 AM - 7 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's been about 2 years since the problem appeared and as it turns out, it was NOT the speed control IC that was the cause of the problem. I was actually D301 a 5.1v zener diode that literally cost $.80 to fix. If you can solder(as well as DE-solder) it's a CHEEEEAAAAPPP fix... Glad I am a procrastinator because I was gonna SELL this unit AS-IS at a loss...NOW I'm not...

How did you find out that it was the D301 Zener diode?
got2b Ru 11:36 PM - 8 November, 2017
Quote:

here:
Watchwww.youtube.com

I didn't do the diag, I just skipped to the fix because if it didn't work, I'm only out a buck or so. And it worked.
got2b Ru 1:01 AM - 9 November, 2017
Quote:
Just regarding this whole thread, lets face it fellas, for all intents and purposes theres very little variation between models.

If by variation you mean differences in DJ features then yeah, you're right. But then the SL-1200MK xx was not designed as a DJ deck. And as turntables go there is very little variation in ALL turntables

That being said starting with the M3D there WERE changes that were definitely done with the 1200 to accommodate DJs which makes them VERY different from one another:

Weighted headshells
a headshell storage mount
detent free pitch slider
USER ACCESSIBLE brake adjustment
pitch 0 reset button
recessed power switch
inclusion of a felt slip mat

Those are all DJ features that make it VERY different from the MK2. The MK5G(M5G) takes the DJ features a step further with a dual range select-able DIGITAL pitch system and a return of the "horizontal weight adjustment knob" which is basically a tension screw that was used on the 1300mk2, 1400mk2 and 1500mk2 but on the M5G has a bonafide DJ use.

Then there is the SL1200MK4 - a Japan only update of the MK2 that again was NOT a DJ deck but included features DJs WANTED but never got on the other decks like a the addition of 78rpm and USER REPLACEABLE RCA cables
DJ Matty Stiles 6:01 AM - 9 November, 2017
Quote:
If by variation you mean differences in DJ features then yeah, you're right. But then the SL-1200MK xx was not designed as a DJ deck. And as turntables go there is very little variation in ALL turntables

You obviously know your stuff. Respect. But yeah, im talking DJ features. For example theres no model that has midi pads on it like the reloop. Ive played on a fair few models in my time, and there have been no changes dramatic enough to influence my playing style. Maybe the click on the pitch in the older models, but I got over that pretty quickly.

I wasnt aware of some of the features you mentioned. Thank you for the info :)
Tourism 6:09 AM - 10 November, 2017
I am new to this site and I am so happy to see this topic.because I am looking for this data and now I discover it.Thank you for helping me.
www.readyshore.com
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:34 AM - 10 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

here:
Watchwww.youtube.com

I didn't do the diag, I just skipped to the fix because if it didn't work, I'm only out a buck or so. And it worked.

Bravo, both for doing the fix, AND for making a great judgement call on the cost of the repair.
DJ Shorty B 8:04 PM - 23 February, 2019
Any info on the MD3 vs the others?
DJ Irv 3:47 PM - 25 February, 2019
Quote:

I think you mean M3D. A pitch reset, no dust cover hinges, head shell stand. Technics also boast slightly better sound isolation and reliably over the MK2, but with the MK2 being so perfect for it's time it's hard to tell the difference.

I've owned MK2, MK3, M3D, M3D-K, MK5, M5G, MK6, GLD
They are all about the same in operation. The M5G and GLD have digital pitch and goes to -+16% pitch and react a fraction of second slower to pitch changes driving some people crazy but, they are fine to me.

I have yet to own MK1, and MK7. Not sure I want an MK1 tho.
DJ Donricky 8:07 AM - 30 October, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

I think you mean M3D. A pitch reset, no dust cover hinges, head shell stand. Technics also boast slightly better sound isolation and reliably over the MK2, but with the MK2 being so perfect for it's time it's hard to tell the difference.

I've owned MK2, MK3, M3D, M3D-K, MK5, M5G, MK6, GLD
They are all about the same in operation. The M5G and GLD have digital pitch and goes to -+16% pitch and react a fraction of second slower to pitch changes driving some people crazy but, they are fine to me.

I have yet to own MK1, and MK7. Not sure I want an MK1 tho.

Wow! Thanks for this great info! I'm glad I got to your comment! A good friend of mine is giving me his M3Ds and I'm beyond excited. Never owned actual turntables before and most recently got the Rane 12 & 72 bundle! Looking forward to trying out actual turntables
Ecks MDC 7:05 PM - 3 December, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

That being said starting with the M3D there WERE changes that were definitely done with the 1200 to accommodate DJs which makes them VERY different from one another:

Weighted headshells
a headshell storage mount
detent free pitch slider
USER ACCESSIBLE brake adjustment
pitch 0 reset button
recessed power switch
inclusion of a felt slip mat

Those are all DJ features that make it VERY different from the MK2. The MK5G(M5G) takes the DJ features a step further with a dual range select-able DIGITAL pitch system and a return of the "horizontal weight adjustment knob" which is basically a tension screw that was used on the 1300mk2, 1400mk2 and 1500mk2 but on the M5G has a bonafide DJ use.

Then there is the SL1200MK4 - a Japan only update of the MK2 that again was NOT a DJ deck but included features DJs WANTED but never got on the other decks like a the addition of 78rpm and USER REPLACEABLE RCA cables

Great thread guys! So can anybody please pinpoint the differences between M3D's and MK5's? They seem to be identical.
HighTopFade 11:13 PM - 3 December, 2019
Quote:
Great thread guys! So can anybody please pinpoint the differences between M3D's and MK5's? They seem to be identical.

MK5 Anti Skate adjustable to 6. Not totally sure, but I believe the MK5 popup light is LED.
soul-doubt12 10:31 PM - 9 December, 2019
the MK5 is probably the best and last deck ever built by Technics retaining all the basic robust features from the MK2 (not including the japanese model MK4 with the detachable RCA wire and 78 RPM speed button) however for the most part, it still has the original analog pitch control which is what we need for reliable mixing. The M5G's took a turn for the hip hop dj with its expandable pitch adjustment. The digital pitch control is an absolute nightmare and shit move from Technics, very hard to lock your beat when mixing dance music, and of course cogging from the motor is not a great help when mixing with a digital pitch control. I will admit, the layout of the M5G's is super cool, but they definitely aimed that for the hip hop market since it was endorsed and designed by Grandmaster Flash.

Any model will do from Mk2 - M3d - MK5 if you love mixing dance music.

i looked at the Mk7, and i was disappointed overall, it feels so plasticy and cheap, and lacks strength when your playing records. The plinth is plastic, and not the rubber mold which helps a lot with feedback. The weight is about 9 pounds lighter then the originals, defiantly a no no in my books!
Ollieboy 1:23 AM - 10 December, 2019
Reloop Rp7000 MK2 pretty much the best bang for your buck. High Torque with an adjustment for how much swing you want to put in it. Also has a break adjustment. Plays 73 rpm. They redid the tone arm for stability. You can actually get the gold edition for $399!!! Holiday pricing. Usually runs for $650 retail.
DJ Quartz 12:34 AM - 9 February, 2020
Quote:
looked at the Mk7, and i was disappointed overall, it feels so plasticy and cheap, and lacks strength when your playing records. The plinth is plastic, and not the rubber mold which helps a lot with feedback. The weight is about 9 pounds lighter then the originals, defiantly a no no in my books!

Hey... I'm glad I wasn't the only one who felt this way. I just saw them for the first time today at Long & McQuade. They had three on display Stanton ST-150M2's, Technics 1200MK7 and the Denon V12.

I was able to see the 150M2's a four years back at the CDJ Show before they released. I like the look but didn't like them for things they removed.

The V12 is interesting but wouldn't be my preference but finally got to see one in person after all this time.

The Technics MK7 was the most expensive out of all of them and I was looking at it like why??

I was expecting that nice Technics finish like the older models. I was super disappointed and would never pay $1299 each for them.

The body, the pitch control, start/stop button and target felt all like cheap plastic. I was not impressed one bit.

After seeing all three of these decks if I was to upgrade from my ST-150's (1st gen),it would be PLX-1000's. I spun on them for a couple of years at my residency due to price and accessibility. We kept the 1200MK5's as backups. The PLX-1000's are solid, imho.

However, I won't be upgrading unless I can't get parts for my ST-150's anymore but for now they are both 15yrs old and running strong.