DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

New Soulja Boy...

DJ Art Pumpin Payne 5:30 AM - 11 September, 2007
Do we as DJ's really fucking need this song? Will you PLAY IT?

Let's hope THIS ONE doesn't pick up and Soulja Boy is just a ONE HIT WONDER.

www.djcity.com

Just giving you all a heads up...

Make sure you duck low when you play this in the Hood.
djnvs 5:32 AM - 11 September, 2007
another damn dance?
matt212 5:32 AM - 11 September, 2007
You a little late there Art, Shootout was getting play before Crank Dat. Well, at least round here anyway.
matt212 5:34 AM - 11 September, 2007
You need to watch out for "Snap N Roll" though.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 5:37 AM - 11 September, 2007
Here's a Youtube video of a live performance and the dance...

Watchwww.youtube.com

Fuck!

Remember I am from Detroit.

Get these boys drunk enough and they may pull out the gats.
djpuma_gemini 5:39 AM - 11 September, 2007
This shit is why people get a negative reaction to rap/hiphop. Yeah it is a dance, but you gotta have guns blastin. I can just see it everyone pointing their fingers in the air at a club shooting. People will still request it though. Lets see if it makes the radio (doubt it)
dj cubicle 5:40 AM - 11 September, 2007
OH HELL NO that isn't getting played here. Are you kidding me??

If Will Smith singing about summer is too gangsta and instrumentals incite violence, I'm sure as shit not playing a song called Shootout!
matt212 5:44 AM - 11 September, 2007
I found that only the younger crowd (18-22) really dances to it. I you do a teen club or High School event, you have to have all Soulja Boy stuff round here. The first time I heard of Soulja Boy was last September. These kids were like you got some Soulja Boy? I was like "Who da fuck is Soulja Boy?" So I had to do some research. You can play all his song in a row and they will love it. I guess you haven't heard "Do The Jump Rope" then huh? haha
djnvs 5:49 AM - 11 September, 2007
i spin at only 21+ spots... those fuckers do the dance...

the funny shit is one night i had a mainly white crowd... so i was playing top 40 shit... and some rock... one chic comes up to me and says "we didnt come here to listen to white music, play some black music for us"
Kam456 5:59 AM - 11 September, 2007
Quote:

the funny shit is one night i had a mainly white crowd... so i was playing top 40 shit... and some rock... one chic comes up to me and says "we didnt come here to listen to white music, play some black music for us"

hilarious!!!!!!

the problem with these ghetto tunes comin' out is the fact that they involve a dance. Thats why the young folks jump on it so fast. And yeah, it sells a lot of ringtones.

I'm dj-ing a homecoming dance in October and i know i'm gonna get TONS of requests for Soulja boy. I refuse to play the original but the uptempo funkymix is playable.
djnvs 6:02 AM - 11 September, 2007
my boy downloaded a bmore version of crank dat..

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
AdamJay 6:06 AM - 11 September, 2007
i've seen the most refined, most professional urban professional crowds get down to Soulja Boy.
it baffles me.

people are sheep. period.
dj cubicle 6:08 AM - 11 September, 2007
Quote:
my boy downloaded a bmore version of crank dat..

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

uuuuuu uu uuu uuu uuu uuu u u u u uuuu uuu

that's what you meant to type. :)
djnvs 6:09 AM - 11 September, 2007
yup... i think this describes the state of rap music these days

Watchyoutube.com (no logout)
djnvs 6:13 AM - 11 September, 2007
greatest hype man EVER

i.a.cnn.net (no logout)
rollanotherone 8:34 AM - 11 September, 2007
Well, I was flipping through channels about 10 minutes ago, and on MTVJ or w/e it is, they had the Ozone awards. I finally heard Souljah boy, and Hey Bay Bay. I couldnt tell where one ended, and the other started. I had to say, I really dont see why this $hit is a hit. It all sounds like Cash Money Lil Wayne/Juvenile/Goodie Mob stuff respun, with more yelling and one liners than anything at all. I guess I just like the Underground and the Pioneers work than anything that has come out recently.

Put ANY of those "new" fools up against One Be Lo, and he will tear them a new a$$whole lyrically.
djnvs 8:41 AM - 11 September, 2007
goodie mob was actually good... need i remind you of Soul Food?

ec1.images-amazon.com (no logout)
rollanotherone 9:30 AM - 11 September, 2007
Yea, I love Goodie. Im just saying that all this "new" stuff has been done, and been done better. Thats all im saying holmes. Hell, I even like some of Cash Money stuff. Who doesnt like "So Fly"? That is a great tune.
sixxx 4:22 PM - 11 September, 2007
We need to change the Terms and Conditions to:

Terms and conditions of using the Scratch LIVE forum.

You must agree to:

1. Be nice to others
2. Not pass yourself off as a Serato or Rane employee
3. Not post advertisements for any crap music.
DJ-A 10:12 PM - 11 September, 2007
+1
LightsOut06 12:29 AM - 12 September, 2007
Quote:
Well, I was flipping through channels about 10 minutes ago, and on MTVJ or w/e it is, they had the Ozone awards. I finally heard Souljah boy, and Hey Bay Bay. I couldnt tell where one ended, and the other started. I had to say, I really dont see why this $hit is a hit. It all sounds like Cash Money Lil Wayne/Juvenile/Goodie Mob stuff respun, with more yelling and one liners than anything at all. I guess I just like the Underground and the Pioneers work than anything that has come out recently.

Put ANY of those "new" fools up against One Be Lo, and he will tear them a new a$$whole lyrically.

Did you seriously just compare Souljah Boy and Hurricane Chris to Goodie Mobb and Cash Money records? I can tell you're probably a foreigner and never heard any of there stuff. I'd put early Goodie Mobb and Cash Money albums against ANY album ESPECIALLY Goodie Mobb. There aren't many albums at all that are as good LYRICALLY AND PRODUCTION WISE as Soul Food. You sir are a dumbass
djransom 12:44 AM - 12 September, 2007
Damn, Soul Food by Goodie Mobb was and still is my joint.
Swizzle 1:20 AM - 12 September, 2007
Quote:

it's funny and sad at the same time when people approach us with dumb talk like that.

I was asked a couple of weeks ago at a spot by a young white lady,

White Girl: "Aint u black, why u playin' this white people hip hop?"
Me: (As I turn down the Booth)"Damn lil mama, Since Outkast performing on TRL and making movies, so now they are "white people hip hop?"
W.G.: (Dumb look on her face)
Me: "What do you suggest I play Miss North Scottsdale, Arizona?"
W.G.: "I don't know...that new Bone Thugs shyt?"
Me: (I Stared her in the eyes......Glanced over at the 13 Latina women who just bought a couple of bottles at the table next to me. **Winked at them** and dropped..........

Suaaaavementeeeee
besame que quiero sentir tus labios
besandome otra vez.
DJ Overpour 1:41 AM - 12 September, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

it's funny and sad at the same time when people approach us with dumb talk like that.

Me: (As I turn down the Booth)"Damn lil mama, Since Outkast performing on TRL and making movies, so now they are "white people hip hop?"
Me: (I Stared her in the eyes......Glanced over at the 13 Latina women who just bought a couple of bottles at the table next to me. **Winked at them** and dropped..........

Suaaaavementeeeee
besandome otra vez.

LOL the best part is that you called the white gurls WG's
Swizzle 2:02 AM - 12 September, 2007
Quote:

LOL the best part is that you called the white gurls WG's

:-)

A few years back one of the smart ones caught on to what me and my boys were saying....so we had to flip W.G. up. We went from saying (Double U's) to just (Dubs).

Example: "It's some nice ass 'Dubs' in here 2nite?"
rollanotherone 6:30 AM - 12 September, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Did you seriously just compare Souljah Boy and Hurricane Chris to Goodie Mobb and Cash Money records? I can tell you're probably a foreigner and never heard any of there stuff. I'd put early Goodie Mobb and Cash Money albums against ANY album ESPECIALLY Goodie Mobb. There aren't many albums at all that are as good LYRICALLY AND PRODUCTION WISE as Soul Food. You sir are a dumbass

NO, not a four runner. But, in another thread, I posted that I took a HUGE break from Hip Hop, shortly after Ice Cube left NWA, and didnt pick up a Hip Hop joint until.....

wait for it....

wait for it.....

"Money aint a thang"

So ive been playing catch up. And, if you read my post above with an open mind, Im not comparing Goodie Mob to Souljah Boy. I merely stated that what these new people are doing has already been done, and been done better by groups like Goodie Mob.

Im sorry if I sounded like I was comparing classics to Shitssics. And, again, im playing catch up with hip hop circa 1996 to 2001. So, forgive me oh great and powerful one.
djnvs 6:38 AM - 12 September, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Suaaaavementeeeee
besandome otra vez.

awesome
armon 6:46 AM - 12 September, 2007
Quote:
yup... i think this describes the state of rap music these days

Watchyoutube.com (no logout)

YOU GOTTA WATCH THIS starting 2:50
djnvs 6:47 AM - 12 September, 2007
slap her with a dick ,slap her with a dick put, put a dick in her ear
stevie o 5:33 PM - 12 September, 2007
soldier boy or however this illiterate savage spells his name is the reason why hip hop is dead
djivanlopez.com 1:53 AM - 13 September, 2007
Quote:

I'm dj-ing a homecoming dance in October and i know i'm gonna get TONS of requests for Soulja boy. I refuse to play the original but the uptempo funkymix is playable.

Careful, I tried the same for a Sweet 16 a week ago and they weren't having it. They wanted the original version. Good luck!
DJ Sniffles 2:06 AM - 13 September, 2007
Quote:
Here's a Youtube video of a live performance and the dance...

Watchwww.youtube.com

Fuck!

Remember I am from Detroit.

Get these boys drunk enough and they may pull out the gats.

hahahaha!!!!!! You I was up at Clutch Cargos in Pontiac back when Lil Scrappy's "No Problems" came out.....holy shit man... i was about to go get my flak jacket (bullet proof vest) i got from the army, yo man it was wild. The dude from downstairs cleared the room out cuz they thought the floor was gonna cave in
DJ Sniffles 2:13 AM - 13 September, 2007
Watchwww.youtube.com

Soulja Boy paying back society by teaching our young adolescent children good morales

Where the hell is her mother???

Standing behind the camera shakin her booty meat with them
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:34 AM - 13 September, 2007
Quote:
Watchwww.youtube.com

Soulja Boy paying back society by teaching our young adolescent children good morales

Where the hell is her mother???

Standing behind the camera shakin her booty meat with them

Damn, check out some of the other links for Booty Meat...

www.youtube.com

Watchwww.youtube.com

Looks like Chris Rock said it best...

His only job as a Dad is to keep his daughter...

"Off The Pole"

Watchwww.youtube.com

Some of these chicks are destined to have paper cuts on the Hips & thighs.
Kam456 3:45 AM - 13 September, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Careful, I tried the same for a Sweet 16 a week ago and they weren't having it. They wanted the original version. Good luck!

its uptempo or nothing. I have standards, lol. Thats why i will NEVER play lean like a cholo.
The Real DJ Maestro 10:51 AM - 13 September, 2007
Shootout is old, that actually was his first song that made some noise in the south.
Lynn Sound Systems 7:07 PM - 13 September, 2007
I think Soulja boy is at the top of my list for the worst songs ever, Macarena and chicken noodle soup are up there too.
It realy has no beat like 50 BPM, Garbage , they threw that together in like 15 minutes in the studio burned it to disc and were like "Yeaaa That shit is hotttt , Banginnn We gone git it wit dis one"
rollanotherone 1:43 AM - 14 September, 2007
I would place Cotton Eye Joe (the dance version) up there too.
john blaze 8:37 AM - 15 September, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Suaaaavementeeeee
besandome otra vez.

Nice.
john blaze 8:45 AM - 15 September, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

+1

Yeah be careful, I do Sweet 16's, Proms, Dances etc all the time (along with weekly club spots.) Those little bastards will flip shit if you dare play a bmore remix or funkymix of the new hot garbage. It will fuck their whole dance up. Shit, you could run the original back to back and they will love you for it. I know it's painfully slow and it's trash, but hey, it makes the gig easier.

In the clubs I play about 1 minute of Riz's bmore mix for Soulja Boy. It's so high up on the charts, when you're at a mainstream place, you kinda have to play it.
Flipsta 6:26 PM - 15 September, 2007
Cousin Coles Remix is pretty good, considering the source material. You guys should check it out.
DJBlisk 6:32 PM - 15 September, 2007
His newest one called "Shootout" is a great song too....... :/
john blaze 12:48 AM - 16 September, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

its uptempo or nothing. I have standards, lol. Thats why i will NEVER play lean like a cholo.

Just seeing this now, disregard my last post lol. I wish I still had those standards. :(
kev_the_dj 1:45 AM - 16 September, 2007
Quote:
His newest one called "Shootout" is a great song too....... :/

You forgot to add a [/sarcasm] tag.
pdidy 3:41 AM - 16 September, 2007
dj cubicle 11:42 PM - 25 September, 2007
I Got Me Some Bapes!

DJBlisk 11:45 PM - 25 September, 2007
I actually have a purr. or two or three.
Lynn Sound Systems 8:14 PM - 19 October, 2007
I actually heard a worse song than soulja boy , It by Project
Don't Call Me No Mo Check this Out Its Killer I cant listen pas the first 30 seconds its just crap , how the hell do these songs make the charts? I get them from Promo Only and according to them it has to be on the charts to to make it on the discs. Is anybody feeling me? IS THERE ANY TALENT LEFT IN THE HIP HOP WORLD?
Sheeds 8:17 PM - 19 October, 2007
man...how does my next door neighbor not have a record deal? I'm pretty sure a lot of unsigned artists have WAY more skill than this dude
Lynn Sound Systems 8:21 PM - 19 October, 2007
Thats Project Pat , im not sure how i didnt get it in there. Hes probabaly on my space, Let me know your opinions on Project pat. Also since you brought up the subject of undiscoverd talent, on My space music Search out Tayy-B , Hes a local artist ive done some work with Let me know what you guys think , is it good?, would you play it?, do you think it has potential?
kev_the_dj 9:48 PM - 19 October, 2007
Quote:
I get them from Promo Only and according to them it has to be on the charts to to make it on the discs. Is anybody feeling me? IS THERE ANY TALENT LEFT IN THE HIP HOP WORLD?

*cough*

www.djforums.com

Excuse me. I think I need a cough drop.
bourbonstmc 10:49 PM - 19 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
I get them from Promo Only and according to them it has to be on the charts to to make it on the discs. Is anybody feeling me? IS THERE ANY TALENT LEFT IN THE HIP HOP WORLD?

*cough*

www.djforums.com

Excuse me. I think I need a cough drop.

I followed the link to the thread with the e-mails to Promo Only, and all I can say is: Promo Only is powerless. Send your e-mails to Clear Channel.
frost-9 6:12 PM - 20 October, 2007
It's not so much that I want to.... kill him.. I just want for him to not be alive.. right now.
DJ BIS 1:50 PM - 21 October, 2007
This is all I gotta say...

blog.myspace.com

TIME magazine seems to agree...

blog.myspace.com
shiestO! 2:51 PM - 21 October, 2007
poo.
ontime1269 4:13 PM - 21 October, 2007
I never did like the song. I have a new hate for it after last night. It hurts me to hear that song. The dance they have to that song is just plain stupid looking, to me. There was some drunk women...fine as hell.... trying to do the dance and kept stumbling into me. One actually fell down. The crowd eats that song up though. If they are happy I'm happy...in a painful way....lol. I was checking out a fellow DJ's set last night. Fortunately, I've never had to play that song live. I've been getting a lot of old school parties lately.
justdizle 8:13 PM - 21 October, 2007
i love that song...crank dat... yes i said it...i love jay dilla too (rip) but hey, we used to be youth too, read this... TRUE STORY

by Jeff Sledge

"The Good Old Days, The Good Old Days... Everyone is talking about the good old days"—Gladys Knight

First off, I’m gonna start this by saying that I've been working in the music business since 1989. I have been a rap head all my teenage and adult life. I'm a born and raised NY'er. Slick Rick is in my top 5 mc's of all time. I A/R'ed Return Of the Boom Bap (KRS-ONE), Midnight Marauders (TRIBE), Iron Man (Ghostface's first album), and signed Keith Murray, amongst a whole bunch of other shit. I feel like I need to say all of that before anyone tries to question my positions (no homo).

I HATE the state of NY rap music today. I hate it because it's corny and boring as shit. Everyone is waiting for things to come BACK but time doesn’t move backwards. Ever. Not even for rap music. NY used to be the most progressive place for rap music. But since about 2000 it's been in a tie for the most unprogressive place for rap (tied with the southern California, where they still make G Funk records).

There are several factors for this terrible state we're in. Today boys and girls, I'm going to discuss two of them:

NY RADIO AND NY CLUBS

The radio and club scene in NY is terrible. The main reason I say that is because NY radio and NY clubs play waaaaayyyyyy too many old songs all the time. This is pretty much the only market in the U.S. of A where this happens. You hear Biggie, Mobb Deep, and old Jay songs in rotation on the radio like they just came out. When you go to a club in NY it's guaranteed that there will be either an extensive old school set or you'll basically just hear "classics" all night long. What this does is stunt the creativity of the youth. All they hear is old music so that's what they end up recreating. Most of the demos I get from NY kids are slow and grimy and sound like they would've come out in 1994. And they are always SHOCKED(!), SHOCKED, that no one outside of their borough likes their music.

Meanwhile the rest of the country is moving forward and progressing in another direction. Now, I'm not saying that everything coming out today is good or high quality because that would be a lie. BUT what I am saying is at least the youth around the country (i.e. outside of NY) are doing their own thing and trying to create their own sound. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. But at least they are trying. That comes from radio and clubs in other markets playing new music all the time. So kids end up creating music that has a new twist to it instead of recycling. I have more confidence that the next classic rap album will come out of the South before the East Coast.

Think about it...Rap kids in NY still get excited when Mobb Deep or Nas comes out with a new album. I mean no disrespect to either one of those artists (I'm a fan of both) but those two are artists that have been making records for almost 15 years now. NY'ers have had no one come out in the new millennium to be excited for. At some point it's not them; it's us.

RAP'S NEW GENERATION.......GAP

The other issue is rap, in general, is suffering from a generation gap. Most of the people who are in power positions in the rap game—be it execs, writers, radio programmers, or television people—they/we all come from a certain age and perspective. Many of the same artists get major press, many times undeservedly so. They get huge pushes from labels based on old successes. Meanwhile, an artist like Soulja Boy can seemingly sneak up out of nowhere and make a major impact. The funny thing is Soulja Boy didn't come from nowhere. He has been around on YouTube for about 2 years creating a groundswell of kids who are riding for him. His success reminds me of No Limit or Cash Money, where the hip-hop intelligentsia had no idea what or who those crews were when they busted on the scene because they were so far up their own asses that they were blindsided by those labels’ success. Ignoring the fact that they had been selling serious amounts of records and doing tons of shows before they got major label deals.

In this case, the elder statesmen are ignoring the youth. They dismiss their music as silly and juvenile while the youth galvanize themselves and support their artists. The conversation I have with some of my peers about an artist like Soulja Boy follows the same bullshit that the old music execs used to say about rap music.

Rap is a young man's game. Even all the greats made their best albums when they were either teenagers or in their early twenties. The youth movement is what drives hip-hop and instead of being shunned and dismissed as bullshit, it should be nurtured.

That's all for now Boys and Girls. Till next time.

Jeff Sledge currently holds the weighty title of Senior Director, Jive Records. Do yourself a favor, DO NOT send him your demo if it's slow and grimy.

The BODEGA™ sends a special, special, special thank you to Mr. Sledge for contributing his two-cents... nice use of 'no homo' there, old man!
Jesus Christ 10:02 PM - 10 December, 2008
scratchlive.net (no logout)

Bump!