DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

is the bridge over?

HerbieWest 8:09 PM - 29 August, 2011
Just want to know: are people in serato still working on improving the bridge? It's been a year now and two releases of scratch live, and it seems that not much on the "wanted" list has been implemented, just bug fixes...

Maybe I'm way off here, there might be many reasons for that. I wasn't here when scratch live started so i don't know what the normal lifecycle of this type of software is...

But on the other hand, it seems that enthusiasm for the bridge hasn't been all that great. And now Itch 2.0 is out and i hear the bridge is not in it. I don't think it is too wild to think that response to the bridge didn't live up to serato's expectations, and that, in their overall strategy, it is no longer as important as it might have once been.

If that's the case, it is completely understandable. However, I would like to know what the future of the software is, and whether to keep on waiting will be worthwhile.
2Smooth420 10:33 PM - 29 August, 2011
+1

I'm an Itch user, with ns7fx. But i also have an APC40 and Ableton Live 8. and when bridge came for SSL, they said Itch would be getting BRIDGE in 2011. Both Ableton and Serato said that on their sites. But the other day in another forum, one of the serato guys said there is no timeline for bridge with itch. Which has got me alittle upset, cause that pretty much says to me it'll be another 1-2 years before we itch users get that particular feature. I'd really love to be able to have the bridge without have to go out and buy a whole different SSL package just for that one feature.
Dj Ace 7:46 AM - 31 August, 2011
they are working on it among other things....
Evon 10:22 AM - 2 September, 2011
My guess is that the bridge turned out to be a flop. The idea is good, but all the preperation warping in ableton + 2 different libries and not be able to load tunes directly into the bridge
+ 2 much cpu usage + increased chanse of usb dropouts + and just dealing with two different softwares.

Why not just add sync to the sampleplayer?
Dj Ace 6:25 PM - 2 September, 2011
i use it ALL the time it is sick...
Dj Ace 6:27 PM - 2 September, 2011
Definitely not a flop...you have to beatgrid but it is super easy for most tracks, and I never have usb dropouts!
2Smooth420 7:45 PM - 7 September, 2011
serato.com

There was another discussion about the bridge, and serato claims to have no timeline for bridge with itch. And I hate to say it, but that is very disappointing. All last year and this year both serato and ableton claimed that bridge would be available for itch in 2011. Now they saying they don't know when its gonna happen. I'm very concerned
nik39 11:54 AM - 8 September, 2011
serato.com < click.

Doesn't look like it's dead.
Evon 7:10 PM - 8 September, 2011
Quote:
serato.com < click.

Doesn't look like it's dead.

Cool video, first dj I ever seen using the bridge live. But regardless, I would claim that the bridge is a flop. I think the bridge is a dead end. Serato should focus on the sp-6 player instead.
Mr. Goodkat 9:05 PM - 8 September, 2011
the bridge is over, the bridge is over -- had to say that

looking forward to using the bridge
S4racen 1:17 PM - 12 September, 2011
Live 9 cometh....

Cheers
D
Dj Wunder 8:13 PM - 19 September, 2011
Tunecrew 10:43 PM - 19 September, 2011
Quote:
My guess is that the bridge turned out to be a flop. The idea is good, but all the preperation warping in ableton + 2 different libries and not be able to load tunes directly into the bridge
+ 2 much cpu usage + increased chanse of usb dropouts + and just dealing with two different softwares.

Why not just add sync to the sampleplayer?

i really think this is true too - it is cool in concept but i too would much rather have synced sample decks (w/ fx) + midi timecode out. if i want to use an external programme or sync another computer i can do it that way.
Satsun 4:28 AM - 22 September, 2011
I think part of the problem has been not releasing the bridge for itch. Itch djs are the type of people who embrace new technology. They've gone completely digital already. Doesn't a massive software sampler like The Bridge make more sense in an Itch context? This seems especially true with the release of Twitch. It's an atypical controller based on chopping up loops and mashing beats. Ableton is the perfect compliment to this sort of performance style.

If some of the Bridge's flaws were fixed and it was released for Itch... well, I'm guessing we might not be having this discussion.
djallstyle 3:41 PM - 22 September, 2011
Quote:
I think part of the problem has been not releasing the bridge for itch. Itch djs are the type of people who embrace new technology. They've gone completely digital already. Doesn't a massive software sampler like The Bridge make more sense in an Itch context? This seems especially true with the release of Twitch. It's an atypical controller based on chopping up loops and mashing beats. Ableton is the perfect compliment to this sort of performance style.

If some of the Bridge's flaws were fixed and it was released for Itch... well, I'm guessing we might not be having this discussion.

I agree. I use the VCI 300 & Bridge would be the perfect tool for itch. Serato gets "Great idea fail award"
anthracite98 2:11 AM - 23 September, 2011
And I bet if Twitch ever integrates with serato the bridge would be done.
S4racen 9:53 AM - 25 September, 2011
Quote:
And I bet if Twitch ever integrates with serato the bridge would be done.

Word!

Cheers
D
Razy 10:38 AM - 25 September, 2011
No its not dead. Its one of the coolest things of the planet. Just check it out.
There is so much you can do with The Bridge. Every extern Hardware User can have the total Control of his gear straight in Scratch Live. Its very amazing, but its also damn time-consuming if you dont want only playing clips.
Will Love 4:25 AM - 28 September, 2011
I have a xone 4d I’m trying to map for a good workflow using an sl 3 and the bridge with an apc40…..
complicated
Code:E 7:27 PM - 28 September, 2011
@will what are you trying to map? how do you intend on using the bridge.
Code:E 7:35 PM - 28 September, 2011
I would use the internal sound card of the 4D for Ableton output. and maybe run ableton out to 2 channels so you can mix parts of ableton dj style. and then just use the apc for clips efx and gain (via the faders). i would mount the apc above on a laptop stand in front of the the mixer. and put your laptop off to the side. as for 4D controls i would just use all of its midi controls for more efx and such. Now if your playing original track ignore me cause i have never played originals via ableton.
Will Love 7:49 PM - 28 September, 2011
No it was a good response. That's what I'm looking for.
What I'm looking for is a decent map using the zone 4D with the apc40 with the bridge in ableton view in serato for the xone.
Other than that open to suggestions.
Code:E 8:00 PM - 28 September, 2011
I always make my own maps buy building my set without any though of controllers im going to use. Put all the efx i want in it. all the features. Then i setup the rig enter midi map mode, click a mappable control and decide where i want it and what makes sense to me.
Evon 12:59 PM - 29 September, 2011
Quote:

To be honest I don't think the bridge would be a success even if it was released on itch. Why should it? You would still face the problemsthe bridge has now with scratch live.
Although it doesn't hurt to be able to sync scratch live and ableton, but would much rather prefere a better sampleplayer for scratch live.
Satsun 6:30 PM - 29 September, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

To be honest I don't think the bridge would be a success even if it was released on itch. Why should it? You would still face the problemsthe bridge has now with scratch live.
Although it doesn't hurt to be able to sync scratch live and ableton, but would much rather prefere a better sampleplayer for scratch live.

I totally agree: there are issues with The Bridge that need to be addressed. But take my situation for example. I was producing and playing sets with Ableton and an APC40. Then the Bridge came along and looked cool. I wanted to give it a try, but I wasn't going to spend $$$ on a mixer, decks, and an SSL box. I would, however, buy an Itch controller like the Twitch or NS6. But sadly there's no option to use the Bridge with Itch. Basically, I think Serato has created a high barrier of entry for Ableton users to get into the Bridge. That's too bad.

I also think that the Itch community is the perfect place for a new technology like the Bridge. Itch users have embraced a new way of DJing already. Why not push the software envelope with proven early adopters?

I think a beefed up sample player definitely has it's place, but the Bridge is (and could be) so much more. For instance: createdigitalmusic.com
BobbyDuracel 10:43 PM - 2 October, 2011
So here's my 2 cents:

I LOVE Ableton. I also use Traktor. I stuck with them through the initial mess of "final scratch" and have subsequently upgraded through the newest version. Loads of my pals use SSL. It's been historically more stable and is "simple" so it does the job, only the job, always the job, no fail. I get it.

When the bridge came out I KNEW I needed to try this thing out. I saw the announcement that said "11 months" and went & bought the SL3 system in advance so I could familiarize, update the info in my library, "serato-fy" things if you will.

The bridge came out. I loaded my session (about 15 original dubstep tracks, all in small sample-loop chunks to mix/remix/play with on the fly) which consisted of over 150x14 cells/channels. All were grouped in a way to fold into 8 channels for my apc40. It sounded perfect. I loaded it up and BLAM it had errors, glitches, etc.

I was on a macbook pro 2.54 core 2 with 4 gigs RAM and couldn't get a stable session out of the bridge. I still own the APC40, SL3, etc and haven't been able to get it to work 100% with my processes, layers, etc.

Meanwhile Traktor comes out with the 4 decks, sample slots, etc. and makes it so easy to run Maschine through a channel of my S4 and within Maschine have a complete DAW that is playable and hosts ALL of my Komplete 8 plugins from within...

So, a DAW synced and inserted into my Traktor software, for a total of 4 channels of audio, all with two NI midi controllers and a sound interface built in... Hmm... AND if I wanna use control vinyl I can directly plug the techs into the back of the S4 and they just WORK with no jumble pile of cables, interconnectors, etc.

And the bridge cannot keep up with my sessions.

If I had like 25 rows deep and 5 layers with NOWHERE NEAR the amount of live fx and processes then perhaps I could "bridge". IF I was to process my tracks down so much that they could be "handled" by the bridge then I could just go one step further and export the wav file to just load into serato as a track (or traktor).

IF I wanted to make my live PA less "live pa" so the processes can be handled by 8 gigs of ram (upgraded) on a macbook pro with zero chance of a glitch in front of the crowd I could bounce down my 1,2054 pieces into a handful and just hit buttons to change sections... Or I could then just make a single track and load as an mp3 on the virtual software.

Does this logic make sense? For my live PA I cannot run the bridge. It's just too complicated and the processes overlload things. For Live Dj sessions I have better luck with NI. For an awesome layered combination of samples, songs, live stuff, and whatnot the Maschine + Traktor on the S4 with the two controllers is just, well... Perfect.

Serato had a GREAT idea partnering with Live. Execution? Lacking. Of course, if it's a simple session you are running then it's great. But, who likes simple?

The response by NI to the bridge was simple: Develop Maschine and Traktor together in a way that is conducive to live performance ALONG with dj'ing. They nailed it. I think Serato is cool and I will die with Ableton, but the bridge would have to improve 1,000 fold for me to use it live. For PA I use strictly Ableton again and for live dj it's Traktor with all sorts of layers.

Eventually I'll have Maschine + Traktor working in a way that's more fun than the bridge looked originally, but it's going to take some more time. I suspect soon the Traktor windows will let you just select "maschine" as input 3 and the box will take up some space in the traktor window. In this way you will be creating/mixing/remixing and sampling all at once, with only 2 usb ports lost.
BobbyDuracel 10:45 PM - 2 October, 2011
Which sucks because the APC40 and Ableton are a BLAST to use live!!!!!
Code:E 3:20 AM - 3 October, 2011
@BoddyDuracel
You make a lot of really good points. And i would tend to agree with you on everything. I have seen some pretty cool setups with 2 "djs" one on a s4 the other on the Maschine.
Though im confused about something. If you are playing your "LIVE PA" set, do you do it with just your APC 40 (and maybe a sound card)? does you computer (or any computer) have issues running nothing but Ableton with your 15 track set you described above? I have run the bridge on 2 computers now(1st was a HP laptop with 6gb and corei7, 2nd a 2011 17 MBP 8,3 upgraded to 8gb ram) and i will admit, my sets dont sound as computer intensive as yours do. But on both as long as the sets ran fine in Ableton alone, i never got a noticeable slow down using serato at the same time. And even when running video SL at the same time slowdowns are few and far between. My only issue is this fn MBP dosent have enough USB ports or port bandwidth for all my controllers (3cdj-2000's, apc40, mpd32, Xsession pro SL4) Also i find that serato bet grid is a joke so i have ableton always loaded into the 3rd deck. So im just really interested in what errors, glitches you keep having? are you loading ableton and your set 1st then serato? and again your sets play fine when just using ableton?
Dj Ace 6:05 AM - 3 October, 2011
disagree 150%...ableton and the bridge allow for some sick combinations and real time playing of virtual instruments and effect...I have Traktor and it cannot compete with Ableton's effects. Traktor is cool in concept but buggy as hell...the only people you see doing creative things are well Traktor "paid" Artist... I must admit i like the loop recorder but i think if serato made the "beat slicer" from twitch available in SSL it would be so much better. I am starting to like the effects in Traktor, they actually sound really good but other than that Serato wins hands down...
Dj Ace 6:07 AM - 3 October, 2011
Also the way I use the bridge I don't load up no more than about 20-30 tracks per Ableton set. If I want to do more I create another set. Since I am using the bridge, I can always play song in Serato while I load another set...
Dj Ace 6:12 AM - 3 October, 2011
Also @ Bobby Duracel, I would love to see a video of you using the bridge and also one of you using Traktor to show how much more powerful? That would be really dope to see what you can REALLY do? maybe I am missing something that I haven't not had time to explore...
Dj Ace 6:16 AM - 3 October, 2011
even if you just did an Ableton set only using the bridge would be cool also? Thanks I would really like to see this. I an not bashing your post but it made me really interested in what you are doing with the software...Thanks Duracel...I am just like you, I want the best tools to perform with...
Dj Ace 6:20 AM - 3 October, 2011
have you seen this...
www.youtube.com
BobbyDuracel 4:34 PM - 3 October, 2011
Again, this is just my opinion, but in terms of comparing Ableton to Traktor FX you are correct, ableton is the clear winner. That should be the case. That's like saying "logic pro has better effects than serato". Now compare Serato to Traktor FX and then compare Logic to Ableton and you have two comparisons with apples to apples.

Traktor Fx capabilities are 1,000% ahead of Serato. For sure. Ableton is the clear winner out of the three, but Ableton is a full studio DAW. The other two are "just" virtual Dj apps". Traktor has inserted a LOAD of fx and advanced features into the non-daw and that puts them ahead in my book. They bleed over into the DAW world.

When the bridge came out my 2.54 dual core intel was the fastest MBP out. Of course 8 gigs RAM in the i7 quad core should run this thing well, but most folks just don't have that kind of rig. I can run Ableton with my MONSTER set and the APC40 all through either my Apogee Duo firewire card or my Audio 8 card and it works great. One laptop.

Now, compare two other DAW-like apps... Maschine and Ableton. Ableton has infinite fx chaining capabilities (again, bc it's comparable to Logic).. Maschine has LOTS of capabilities and in regards to my live performances it's more of an "instrument that also dips into the DAW realm"... So I guess what I'm saying is this: The two bleed over into other worlds and then combine in a stable environment with better control and higher resolution, which puts my ceiling of CPU much higher and allows for infinitely more processing down below.

When you put the more advanced Traktor dj software against Serato it definitely is more capable. It was buggy years ago. Now? Flawless. I used it hundreds of times in front of crowds and have not a single issue since 2004. That's not to say that back in 2002 it didn't suck, because it did.

When you put Maschine against Ableton it isn't a contest in some ways. Ableton is a full-fledge beast. Maschine is more of a "live instrument playable DAW" which, in the right hands, is MORE than most will ever need to produce a track. It has internal wiring and sampling and slicing capabilities that I am sure, in the near future, will put it at the top of most folks "wanted lists" as more is learned about it.

Overall, in my experience, the dj program that crosses WAY into the studio realm (NI) combined with the super-fun-playable beatmachinesamplerdawlike app that is Maschine, all wired through the S4 audio and midi device, makes for a lot of fun.

If I wanted to reduce my ableton sets to 15-20 scenes (individual songs) and load them up individually I would just have more fun exporting the songs and loading them into decks.
Why? When I play "live PA" in ableton I like being able to integrate parts of one song into another, mixed with another, etc until I am "mixing" the songs live in a way that dj software cannot (isolating different layers, etc). The idea of putting ableton into the vinyl control is/was cool, but only if I can do it smoothly. I cannot. The moment I hit the button to assign to timecode it just explodes and fails. For me, it separates the two once again.

With Maschine I can isolate parts of multiple banks (tracks) and mix them together whilst mixing with the other 2 tracks, maybe looping individual sections of the two tracks and feeding each channel through the fx of traktor while controlling the fx with the s4 hands-on control and then loop-capturing, overdubbing, and then loading the captured audio into a sample deck or track deck to further manipulate.

Sheesh. that's a lot to type.

The tapedeck feature is neat. If you haven't a midi-serato-enabled mixer it's useless bc you only save the track spots in the session. Why not just record the set flawless and bounce to audio? IF you have the fancy toys it records your every move. That's nice. I don't see spending that much cash for that feature. I can mix well :)

The "load to serato as vinyl control" is neat. If you want to mix the vinyl with ableton just sync them internally. I had issues with that, but traktor and maschine internally sync really well *finally*. IF you love playing your ableton creation as a song on vinyl control just bounce it as a song file and load it in serato. It's a lot less CPU complicated that way. Then route that single audio feed into fx in ableton, if that is your primary love of the bridge.

If I mix two separate (or 4) entities together in a dj app, i prefer the internal fx and massive capabilities of traktor.

If I want to blend loads of parts of my own songs into new creations on the fly I love ableton.

The bridge promised me I could do both, seamlessly, together, at once. I cannot.
I must distill things so much that i am no longer performing live pa and am just dj'ing. I don't need a bridge for that.

That's all I am saying. If it works now, or soon, as intended I will be the first to love and try it.
BobbyDuracel 4:41 PM - 3 October, 2011
On a side note, until this season, the Serato hardware (SL3) was ONLY useful for serato. My audio 8 card from NI was also a capable studio I/O. The SL3 being "only for serato" and @ $699 kept a lot of folks from even trying the bridge. Further, the fact that the SL2 cannot be used for the bridge is also, IMHO, a terrible thing.

Just like now: itch users cannot bridge without buying special gear. That's silly.

EVERYTHING I own from NI is cross-capable and each update makes things work together even more.

Komplete 8 Ultimate works inside of and by-way-of Maschine now, all 240 gigs of samples and all 11 killer plugins. When you have that kind of power routed into traktor with all 4 channels of control in higher-res midi and double-resolution vinyl timecode through the $899 S4 and the $599 Maschine controller-app combo, you are really pushing it to say that "only paid folks can/are making cool things". It's only bc the SSL in the USA is the standard (historically it's more stable, for sure) bc of cheaper costs and the ability of low-cost PCs to smoothly run Serato has allowed more closet dj's to play...

Given time, folks have converted. Over the water, Traktor is the boss. I know I sound like a fanboy... I'm just saying, from a guy who owns ALL of the above products, NI has slowly but surely won me over. Just like iphones... Go to a droid and you'll eventually come back to an iphone. At least, I did.
Dj Ace 3:49 AM - 4 October, 2011
The bridge is awesome and works flawless on my Mac along with using vst's...it just works
Dj Ace 3:52 AM - 4 October, 2011
Also I think tractor is the droid (crazy over hyped marketing) and serato is the iPhone of Dj systems (it just works)... I bought into tractor hype and now I am not impressed... I will stay with my iPhone
nik39 5:05 PM - 4 October, 2011
Bobby, what does the SL3 have to do with the Bridge? Why would people not get into TB cause the SL3 is $699?

And... why would you think, that the SL2 does not work with TB?
Code:E 5:46 PM - 4 October, 2011
Well it seems bobby thinks we would only ever want the ableton audio to come out of the aux out. and doesn't consider loading ableton transport control into a serato deck as an option.
nik39 6:08 PM - 4 October, 2011
Well, if you want 3 separate channels, then you need to buy a 3 channel device. Of course then it doesnt make sense to use a 2 channel device.
Code:E 8:00 PM - 4 October, 2011
Or if bobby figured out you can always run ableton audio out of the internal sound card on your laptop.
Evon 10:47 AM - 6 October, 2011
Quote:
The bridge is awesome and works flawless on my Mac along with using vst's...it just works

To me this has proven totally wrong. I downloaded the free traktor demo and i could layer loops on sample decks and all that, instantly. No preperation. Grids was 99% on beat every time. NI did nail it with the sample deck no question about it.

However the bridge can be a powerful tool. But the 3 main dissadvantages is in my opinion is:

1. Two seperate libraies.
Not being able to use Seratos library to load track into the bridge. For me this is a huge downer.

2. Preperation.
It takes ages to prepare all my tracks. Having to warp songs in ableton first and then beatgrid in Serato after. I have to spend hours and hours to get my music library gridded.

3. Ease of use.
If you coming from Scratch live and never used ableton before it can be a pain in the ass to learn how to set up properly. Took me a while before I got it 100%.

I bet very few of the djs endorsing traktor are getting paid for it. If those djs on the NI website actually prefered Serato I think they would be on the Serato webpage not NIs.
Traktor is the leading dj software worldwide, and has been for a few years now. Even some of the djs like Seth troxler and known US djs are now on traktor. Serato do have some gaps to close feature vise if they wanna have a slightly marketshare among EDM djs.
As it is now you can do awsome stuff that you simply can not achive with Serato for cheaper, efficently and effectively.
Razy 6:14 PM - 6 October, 2011
The Traktor Sample Decks kills Serato / Ableton The Bridge Partnership?
Sorry man, I just dont know how to use it.

In one thing I think the same. Most of the Bridge is is a totaly new era for DJs. It takes MUCH time to get in with it.
So not many GOOD explaining videos are online for now. And the good live schowcases too.

But believe me, The Bridge is kicking Traktor Sample Decks ass!
Dj Ace 3:51 AM - 7 October, 2011
+1
Evon 10:39 AM - 7 October, 2011
Quote:
Also I think tractor is the droid (crazy over hyped marketing) and serato is the iPhone of Dj systems (it just works)... I bought into tractor hype and now I am not impressed... I will stay with my iPhone

My perception is that Apple has been focusing on the customer. The experience the customer get from unpaggaging the product to the ease of use. This has always been the focus for apple. While other manufacturers are racing for technology (more rams, processors ect.)
I have drawn paralells to the dvs world. I've always looked at Serato as the mac and traktor as the pc of dvs. You can do more stuff in Traktor and tweak more, but again is more complicated.

I don't feel the bridge fit for Serato. You can do all this stuff with the bridge, but is it a good customer expereince? Does it really just work?

I feel that it is Serato that should have had the sampledecs, and Traktor should have the bridge.
Its like the table has turned. Serato is now PC and Traktor became mac, with thir tight intregrated controlles like s4 and sampledecs. It just works.
Dj Ace 5:20 PM - 7 October, 2011
The bridge is an extra feature (like video sl) not a standard feature, meaning it will be used by those that want to add to there performance and feature set of serato using ableton...so yeah under the hood it just works...all the itch controller same formula... Remember I own all 3 of these dvs systems and tractor is not a simple as plug and play...registration suck and too much customization...effects in tractor blow away itches but ssl is not far behind
BobbyDuracel 5:30 PM - 13 October, 2011
I think I would like to make a distinction as well:

I am NOT talking about loading "songs" into ableton to mix together, like a lot of "ableton dj's" have been doing lately at shows.

I use SSl or TSP to mix "songs" together, bc that, to me, is the whole art of dj. Beatmatching was an integral part of the dj world for so long and it separated the pros from the joes. Now I understand that software can auto-sync and kids today aren't learning to necessarily match a beat, but to load whole songs in ableton and click "play" is not the idea I ever saw for the DAW.

My argument about the cost of the SL3 is this: to run all of serato and ableton audio out of your single I/O you need the SL3, not the SL2.

Now my experience is this: WAY complicated session in ableton and attempting to mix other songs with Serato and/or be able to scratch on top of ableton sessions. Yes, timecode control of ableton is theoretically cool, but if I wanted to be able to control my ableton "song" with timecode I'd just bounce the song out to a file.

Of course, my experience with the bridge was in infancy, so it may be better now. It was HORRIBLE when I tried it. I was pumped, my pal was pumped, and it failed. Bad.

So, today my situation has changed and i don't travel with the mixer and decks. I have a single controller and mix internally with the S4, all audio comes out of the built-in I/O.

If traktor releases a way to "midi record" every single knob, track selection, etc in my "recorded session" instead of just recording the audio file to a scratch disc, then I will be able to archive THOUSANDS of hours of audio in only megabytes of hard drive space, like ableton does today. I mean, that would be the "tapedeck" function, but would be even more intense bc Traktor has way more for FX and the box is just 100% tuned and effective to use.

Unless Serato releases an itch controller with FULL mixing and audio capabilites like the S4 (so I can plug 1 box into the wall, USB into laptop, and master out to the house speakers) that also allows for Ableton to use an internal channel for bridge then maybe they win.

I have an apogee duet FW interface that I could run ableton out, but I think when the bridge is "fully operational" I shouldn't have to.

And yeah, with just a few more tweeks the maschine+traktor s4 internal combo will win, bc it's just "slick" and it "just works" and it's "fun"... Like Apple.

I am not trying to sell anyone NI or hate on SSL. I really have nothing to gain in this. I just want to share my thoughts, find solutions, or save someone else money. I love my APC40 and ableton. I would suggest to others to stick with the dual-laptop setup.

Initially I used my Ableton set primarily and just wanted the ability to scratch/sample overlayer via vinyl (SSL/TSP). It worked with two machines. However the setup was big, clunky, etc and the sync just didn't exist (ex: scratch a sample in/out, etc and then hit "loop" and let it drop in perfectly in line)... I just wanted bridge to do that.
Razy 11:31 PM - 13 October, 2011
I think your viewing is okay, but not in time. I thought the same way like you in the beginning of my "bridge carrier".
Now its unless fun to use the bridge NOT with my SL-3 Box. I use it with a second Interface. In This way i plugged my send / return from the Rane TTM56S into the second interface. I can route left channel or right channel or both directly through ableton. That allows me to record loops of one or both decks REALTIME. When I stop recording only the loop is playing further because its the send / return way, not a third channel. This is so amazing. You can create live mashups, record melodies that you playing with cuepoints, record your scratches, drums, other percussions, acapellas and so much more. Its like you had unlimited decks and with your Launchpad / APC you have the full overview of everything.
Ableton is just slave and is synced to your SSL decks. Other hardwaregear like Maschine is synced also to serato because its a part of ableton. Everything is a part of Ableton.All on one computer, one main-window,... With the second Interface you can route your audio, use MIDI-Clock. Its unlimited in his ways.
And all over that SSL is your master-deck and everything will run like your DJ setup.
Thats the reason for me that Traktor never can beat The Bridge. I also use Maschine with The Bridge.
But you have to find your own way. I think there are a few bugs in The Bridge or preferences that should be changed, but at all, its the ultimate solution of beeing creative and make a phantastic show thats never seen bevor.
Dj Ace 12:20 AM - 14 October, 2011
With a rane 57 or 68 the bridge in unbeatable...I use a apogee duet interface and it just like Razy said...I have never used it with a sl3 or any other rane hardware besides the mixers and with these it almost offers limitless creativity with an apc 40...live remixing and beat creation! And soon it will be available for the itch controllers and I am sure you will be happy then ;)
Mighty Dragon Sounds 3:01 PM - 27 October, 2011
Everyone here is naggin........ Try doing production with an 8-Track and Cassettes!!!!!!! lmao.... nah j/k.

My main goal for using the bridge software is to get more of a "human" feel approach to doing my Mixes and simple production of remixes and custom DJ intros and outros. I can spend days multi tracking a mix in Audition and Pro Tools, or a few hours doing a straight shot mix on the Bridge and uploading it to Ableton and polishing it. Is it expensive software? Yes, but then again I am coming from back in the days where we had to pay to play. Non of this cheap to free downloading music and Virtual DJ walk with your laptop, mouse and start DJ. So spending the extra little something isn't a big sacrifice.

Having used the Demo, it has persuaded me to get the entire package.
anthracite98 6:34 PM - 27 October, 2011
Yeah, I just plopped down for an apc 40 and Ableton. Have to go pick it up tomorrow. Will get acquainted and post some demo mixes. Hopefully this keeps me out of the bars when not djing...
Will Love 8:32 PM - 27 October, 2011
Man there is a crapton of good info here. All you guys completely know what you're talking about and I'm absolutely thrilled by this.
I also own maschine/traktor/serato/ableton/xone4D/SL 4/Apc40/M4L/etc everything NI has made besides that new overpriced cinematic kontakt instrument.
Things have gotten better for both paths. Just to stay current I'm always investing (or wasting money if you ask some of my Exs). When the bridge first came out I along with everyone else was ramped up due to hype, and a very lackluster opening had a huge impact. First impressions. I couldn't get it to work for anything. I was also dissapointed that the mixtape feature really doesnt woek unless you had a rane mixer(why i thought it could thinking about it i have no idea) So I left it alone for awhile. 64 bit finally got unleashed and I could instantly notice a change.
I go to traktor, do a bunch of internal midi routing into ableton using maschine as a plug in, and it was complicated to do, but once everything was routed it works every time. 4deck recording from traktor into ableton being processed and mixed along with everything else in that project including my loops and maschine. TSP2 came out and due to some software changes I could no longer record 4 decks whilst using timecode with my xone. I'd have to give up a channel for that and the loop recorder to work. To top it off noticing how much more CPU usage and ram it uses I was kinda turned off. It looked better and worse to me at the same time.
So it had been a few firmware and software versions later I decide to try out the bridge, coming at it a little more knowledgable about how to fix griding in serato. Works perfectly as long as the griding is good, and that's the same with traktor. I actually find it easier to grid in serato than make fine adjustments in traktor.
Now I'm capable of djing 4 decks bridged to ableton with maschine as a plug in and knowing how to grid it's tight and always right. I don't use full songs in ableton, I make loops and play vsts so I know that alone makes it alot tighter, but I kinda thought that was the point. Serato was for full songs and scratching, ableton for layering and playing along, occasionally completely on ones own material in ableton, feel a vibe from the crowd and drop that anthem that they've been waiting for. It's really all about preparation. A lot of live sets I've seen/downloaded are redundant and could be reduced significantly CPU wise with a little finesse. That and the hardware can be used by any software now (not traktor, I tried, lol)
Maschine updated to 1.7 or whatever and ultimate came out making the traktor/maschine combo much more integrated, but Ive never come across anything that I couldn't do with it in some way as a plug in in ableton.
Just to note I'm pushing a late 09 MBP 2.66 dual core that I upgraded from 4 to 8 gigs of ram for about 70$.
I love the bridge. I really see it as SSL saving grace against NI. It's the using it creatively and interestingly that poses the challenge. Limitless.
WarpNote 8:16 PM - 28 October, 2011
About time I started to track this thread, great info.
oussDaPouss 3:59 PM - 25 January, 2012
The Bridge for Itch... WIthout that I'm forced to plug Serato Itch output to Ableton Live... I must admit that this setup pretty sucks.
Deadrisk 9:15 AM - 22 February, 2012
you just have to think how to use it. the potential is there. i make clips or breaks and launch them in ableton, on top of mixing. you can do some crazy shiz.
oussDaPouss 11:30 AM - 22 February, 2012
Yeah but no BPM sync since ITCH does not have output midi clock
Razy 2:15 AM - 2 March, 2012
I just wanted to give some feedback yet.
I wrote my The Bridge Tutorial in a PDF document. Its finished and 28 pages long. It will explain everything from ground zero. I've drawn many graphics for a visual understanding.

It will show you many ways to use The Bridge:

+ Introduction in Ableton Live / VSTi Plugins & Instruments
+ Introduction in using effects from Ableton on your Scratch Live Decks
+ Buildup & Structure your Ableton Live Set (ALS)
+ Hierarchy of The Bridge and its user
+ Controller Overview

... and many many more.

I will have a second Video for you then with also Scratch Live display.
But I need a few days for recording and uploading.

I wrote the tutorial down in english, but I also understand german. If you have questions about that contact me here.

I will post it next week in a new threat.

Greets
MAD_COWBOY 9:01 PM - 2 March, 2012
Quote:
I just wanted to give some feedback yet.
I wrote my The Bridge Tutorial in a PDF document. Its finished and 28 pages long. It will explain everything from ground zero. I've drawn many graphics for a visual understanding.

It will show you many ways to use The Bridge:

+ Introduction in Ableton Live / VSTi Plugins & Instruments
+ Introduction in using effects from Ableton on your Scratch Live Decks
+ Buildup & Structure your Ableton Live Set (ALS)
+ Hierarchy of The Bridge and its user
+ Controller Overview

... and many many more.

I will have a second Video for you then with also Scratch Live display.
But I need a few days for recording and uploading.

I wrote the tutorial down in english, but I also understand german. If you have questions about that contact me here.

I will post it next week in a new threat.

Greets

Let me know When you do brother!!! Thanks for all your help on fb with this =)
Alixx J 4:48 PM - 3 March, 2012
Look forward to this Razy, just got into the bridge and looking to take it to the club as soon as i get my head around it and I'm stable with it :D
Colin Fichman 1:32 AM - 8 March, 2012
WHY did they not implement MIDI assignable crossfaders and eqs for people who use mixers like the djm 800 with built in midi. for it to only support rane products is very limiting.
Code:E 2:00 AM - 8 March, 2012
Its also another "unique selling feature" that rane can use to try and get you to buy a Rane mixer of a pioneer
Snubber 6:30 AM - 15 March, 2012
Razy, still hope you're planning to put up that PDF. Sounds great, really looking forward to it!
Razy 12:59 AM - 17 March, 2012
Sorry folks, the tuorial is fineshed but I am not allowed to release it. You have to do The Bridge on your own...
Code:E 1:08 AM - 17 March, 2012
why not?
Snubber 10:35 PM - 21 March, 2012
Razy posted tutorial here, actually:

serato.com
BobbyDuracel 5:48 PM - 28 February, 2017
What ever happened to the bridge anyways? I went back to Traktor after the bugs & didn't look back. Of course now the new DJ-808 Roland/Serato partnership has my attention.
WildcardX 10:34 PM - 2 March, 2017
The feature is now Built in from SDJ 1.9.3 upward known as LINK.

See below
serato.com
BobbyDuracel 8:35 AM - 3 March, 2017
Link isn't the bridge tho. As I understand it, link is just a really lovely Ableton feature that's open-source, allowing other apps to stay in sync. As for the way more interesting ideas in the bridge, did they die? Or are they still hiding?
BobbyDuracel 8:36 AM - 3 March, 2017
My DJ808 arrives soon & im dying to get all caught up!
Daktyl 2:54 PM - 29 April, 2017
I used The Bridge mainly for the mixtape functionality. That was awesome! record a mix... "Oops, I cut the bass on track 1 a little too much in that transition..." Put some bass back in. "Oh, that flanger felt right at the time, but it ruined an otherwise flawless mix." Pull out the flanger.

When is that coming back?
BobbyDuracel 4:55 AM - 1 May, 2017
Hopefully the new sampler plugin hints at the newly refocused collaboration between Ableton and serato. I moved my setup/focus to both of them recently & would really like to see a dual-release Ableton Live 10 + Serato 2.0.

Serato - let's bring your sampler up to date and compete with remix decks & stem files by using my push 2 as THE native sample player/cue point trigger on serato. 64 buttons = 64 cues, or 64 slots.

Ableton- let's revisit the bridge. Scrap "remix your session on vinyl" bc that's obviously too CPU intensive (unless you have a feature to auto-track freeze the whole project at once before sending to serato), but bring back the rest!