DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

DJs can we stop.....

DJ Remy USA 3:09 AM - 10 August, 2011
Bitching about what a real DJ is. The argument is stupid, just do what you do best and if you see a DJ that needs help with a particular skill help him/her. I love this forum but Im starting to get a lil turned off by some of the negativity. I understand jokes and playing around thats all good and well, but a few other DJs have pointed out that we are really disrespecting our craft when disrespect each other. You guys who always have something negative to say try saying something constructive. Im done rambling but you guys know what Im talking about
str8nger 4:55 AM - 10 August, 2011
funny thing is that some of the djs thinks if they help some noobie dj hes gonna take there secret. come on its not like we know eachother or live in the same town, thats why they have this forums for djs to talk and learn new shit from eachother.
GilesDavis 4:58 AM - 10 August, 2011
Screw you guys, I do wha' ah waant.
GilesDavis 4:59 AM - 10 August, 2011
Seriously, though, totally agree.
djvtyme85 5:05 AM - 10 August, 2011
I agree. Jokes are fun and good but yes being negative is wrong. I've done it, not out of spite but just because I'm a smartass in general lol...anyway on a serious note i'm all for helping.
RogerRabbit 5:20 AM - 10 August, 2011
Quote:
I love this forum but Im starting to get a lil turned off by some of the negativity.

It means you are spending too much time here...

I cut back on my time here...and I hardly miss it.. This site is just entertainment when I get in from work..
Crickett 5:21 AM - 10 August, 2011
Quote:
Bitching about what a real DJ is. The argument is stupid, just do what you do best and if you see a DJ that needs help with a particular skill help him/her. I love this forum but Im starting to get a lil turned off by some of the negativity. I understand jokes and playing around thats all good and well, but a few other DJs have pointed out that we are really disrespecting our craft when disrespect each other. You guys who always have something negative to say try saying something constructive. Im done rambling but you guys know what Im talking about

Answer to the thread topic----(No).

You may continue the bitch session. :-)
djvtyme85 5:30 AM - 10 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Answer to the thread topic----(No).

lol smh

You may continue the bitch session. :-)
juelz701 7:12 AM - 10 August, 2011
Quote:

I've only been a member of this forum for probably less then a year, I have only been Dj'ing for about a year and I do not come to this forum often. When I think of the Serato forum I think negativity. Every single question I have ever asked on this forum has been met with countless negative remarks. What baffles me is I asked a question about recording with audacity and received numerous negative remarks about me being a Dj and such and not knowing how to record with audacity, these guys that were making the negative remarks could not even tell me how to record with audacity and a vestax mixer they were unable to tell me that unlike most mixers the vestax uses the send outs as booths outs, still, they felt the need to try to 1 up me on some shit they knew nothing about.
DJ GOOK 12:33 PM - 10 August, 2011
I have know problem helping,BUT when theu ask questions like "what should i play at a top 40 gig",thats crossing the line and very,very LAZY. Some people come in here wanting other people to do there work. Dj's in this time are very lazy (most dj's).
Laz219 12:56 PM - 10 August, 2011
I'm not saying there isn't a heap of negativity on this forum but the problem is just as much that it is up to the reader to decide the way a reply was written and could very easily take a joke, friendly question or honest answer in a completely different way than the poster intended which then throws the entire conversation down that path.

Quote from a recent article Giz posted on Skratchworx:
"I've often said that a DJ is the very worst person to go to a club. All we do is watch what the resident is doing, how they're doing it and on what gear - and pretty much always think to ourselves how terrible they are, as is their music choice, skills and gear. Often we'll simply sit and moan ad infinitum all night long, or play the wall being all cool and nonchalant like."

I figure this is just the digital version of that,

Not trying to defend it, it just seems somewhat inevitable. It'd be a perfect world if everyone was really supportive and helpful to everyone. (in the help forums you see plenty of that, people with no real reason going massively out of their way to help people get their system working)
Funkytownstopsix 1:55 PM - 10 August, 2011
I have been a dj for over 25 years and don't mind helping anyone with anything that I can do, sure there is negativity on these forums but I have had some many dj's on this very forum help me and help me with stuff that most would not take the time to do dealing with video. So for me my experience has been beneficial on this site.

As an older Dj you wished it was not so easy for younger djs and you wish they had to carry crates and use records so that they know how it use to be compared to today,,,,, but I am a realist things change everyday so we have to as well. I could take the pc vs mac wars that go on here as a negative yet I know I have a pc that runs video or anything else for that matter, my point things can be done many ways and I could care less if you don't like my way because I am still doing my thing how I want too. Funk negative people... Yet I hope you understand the difference from negativity and someone giving you constructive criticism
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:28 PM - 10 August, 2011
Quote:
I understand jokes and playing around thats all good and well, but a few other DJs have pointed out that we are really disrespecting our craft when disrespect each other.

alot of people recieving this negativity are usually disresepecting the craft in their own way to begin with so its not suprising they get disrespected, alot of people take DJing very seriously here, its alot of our lives and livlihoods so im not suprised they treat people who dont treat it with the same respect negativly

Quote:
I'm not saying there isn't a heap of negativity on this forum but the problem is just as much that it is up to the reader to decide the way a reply was written and could very easily take a joke, friendly question or honest answer in a completely different way than the poster intended which then throws the entire conversation down that path.

Quote from a recent article Giz posted on Skratchworx:
"I've often said that a DJ is the very worst person to go to a club. All we do is watch what the resident is doing, how they're doing it and on what gear - and pretty much always think to ourselves how terrible they are, as is their music choice, skills and gear. Often we'll simply sit and moan ad infinitum all night long, or play the wall being all cool and nonchalant like."

I figure this is just the digital version of that,

Not trying to defend it, it just seems somewhat inevitable. It'd be a perfect world if everyone was really supportive and helpful to everyone. (in the help forums you see plenty of that, people with no real reason going massively out of their way to help people get their system working)

+10000000000000000 I think the biggest problem with this forum is that alot of users come on here and expect other users to treat them in the manner than an employee should treat a customer, for example if you bought something from GC then went back and asked a question and the guy cracked a joke ya you should be pissed because that shits unprofessional but what people have to realise is the people on here ARENT professional customer service reps here to answer any and all questions in a professional manner, most are here just to talk shit and be entertained.

You need to have a sense of humor in life and you need to be able to brush things off, its important not just in life but especially the internet, if you come here looking for knowledge that someone else possesses its not your place to demand they give service, answers, knowledge, experience, ect, its that persons choice to help or provide for you and the best way to go about that is to go with the flow and play the game. If you look at 99.9999% of the "negativity" on this board none of it is malicious, its meant to be entertaining and that entertainment is the reason alot of very knowlegable people hang out here and answer questions. If this forum was 100% serious question and answer it wouldnt contain even a quarter of the knowledge or usefullenss that it contains now.

Quote:

What baffles me is I asked a question about recording with audacity and received numerous negative remarks about me being a Dj and such and not knowing how to record with audacity, these guys that were making the negative remarks could not even tell me how to record with audacity and a vestax mixer they were unable to tell me that unlike most mixers the vestax uses the send outs as booths outs,

But do you really not understand why this happens? Im not familiar with the thread off hand, BUT i do know there there are hundreds if not thousands of the exact same "how do i record in audacity" threads that can be searched and 99.999% of the time the answers already there but people are to lazy to do their own research before asking others to spoon feed them. If you won a piece of equipment you should take the time to read the manual and be 100% familiar with it, know the ins and outs, appreciate it and know how it works. If you do this your halfway there and the rest of the information is prob there, all you have to do is find it and think

Quote:

Bitching about what a real DJ is. The argument is stupid, just do what you do best and if you see a DJ that needs help with a particular skill help him/her

Nothing wrong with quality control, your statment here is great in theory but what it lacks is the concept that ALOT of younger DJs now adays dont want your help, they already know it all and are a million times better than you and dont wanna hear a word you have to say otherwise. Thats the real negitivity as i see it and im not suprised when that negativity turns back on em.
DJ Remy USA 2:44 PM - 10 August, 2011
The only reason I started this thread was becuase bezzle put me on to all these AM post. AM asked a lot of same questions that people get flammed here for. Now to many he was just a average DJ but thats not point he was respected amongst the community. So i wanted to draw off that energy and put it back into our community. Im not saying give some one a playlist and your entire library but helping DJs is what this place is suppose to be about. And no I dont spend to much time here I like it but its getting rediculous with the redicule especially when referring to auto sync and CDJs and tables and all that jazz. Lets further the craft like when qbert and Ethan did that video together it was very inspiring to see to completely different DJs come together to session
DJYoshi 2:49 PM - 10 August, 2011
take it for what it is......a forum...read a thread that might interest you...post a thread and if it doesn't get hits... so let it be...... I had the same complaint about people hating on each other.....calling out other DJ's...bashing... and as I now term the joking remarks: "bezzle'ing" others (haha sorry bez).
but don't let it get to you.
There are things that I don't mind that other people do...
I don't get pissed off when people are behind me in a DJ booth writing down my set playlist.
I don't get mad when people ask what they should play at an event.
I don't get angry when a newbie starts a thread asking for advice on what should be common sense as a DJ......
I just see things differently than people....have confidence in yourself, abilities, craft etc...
at the end of the day..you can give your playlist to 100 DJ's and get back 100 different ways of how to play that set list.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:56 PM - 10 August, 2011
There is ONE AND ONLY change I would like to see happen in this forum, and i honestly believe that if this were to happen (it never will) that this forum would take on a whole new life.

Im ALL ABOUT the jokes, im ALL ABOUT the arguments, im ALL ABOUT the debates, but i think everyone would benefit if there was an unoffical ground rule that arbitrarily using a persons creative work or perfomance against them should be off limits and unconstructive critisism should be frowned upon.

The way I see it if theres a flame war over this

Quote:

its getting rediculous with the redicule especially when referring to auto sync and CDJs and tables and all that jazz.

is acceptable because these are major issues in our community so i like to see heated debate because i think all sides ahve stuff to learn. What i dont dig is shit like this

DJ1 - the sky is blue
DJ2 - no its not its grey
DJ1 - no im pretty sure its blue
DJ2 - its not fucking blue and heres a link to a mix you posted soundcloud.com you fucking suck and your horrible and that proves the sky is blue.

or the similar

DJ1 - heres a mix i made yesterday everyone soundcloud.com
DJ2 - not bad
DJ3 - awsome
DJ4 - it fucking sucks you should quit now because your horrible i would never hire you

Saying you didnt like the mix or providing ways you think it coul dbe better is awsome, contructive critism helps and ALOT Of people need to learn how to take constructive critism but the comment DJ4 made is unaccpetable and out of line especially when odds are DJ4 never posted amix for people to hear.

I talk alot of shit on this forum but im failry positive i have NEVER been negative towards someones creative work, i respect anyone who acuaully has the balls to create something and post it for the world to see and i think this forum would be mroe fun and informative if people werent so scared to post because of this kind of buillshit. Everyone wants to see battles and bitch that noone posts but these same people are the ones who bash the poster and use the video aginst them every chance they get.

Arguments and general bulshit are fun and all but i think we should be PUSHING creativity here, we would get ALOT More out of this forum by showing what we can do and showing how much lets say TTs are better than controllers by SHOWING videos of us tearin em up instead of spending days typing about the +s and -s of each
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:56 PM - 10 August, 2011
Quote:
I now term the joking remarks: "bezzle'ing" others (haha sorry bez).

lmfao, no offence taken i always wanted to be a verb
Funkytownstopsix 3:21 PM - 10 August, 2011
Damn Bezzle tell us how you really feel!!!! You and I can kick it anytime.. Some people can't take constructive criticism, jokes or negate comments but IMO if you ask a question or throw up a mix and ask for an opinion then you better had done your research and searched the forums for the answer or expect to hear anything about your mix if it's not tight hell even if it is.

I think the biggest issue for most is when they ask a question that has been asked millions of times and can be found just by searching, you get people jumping your ass. At first I was like damn but since I get on the forums at work as I am bored,,,, people ask a lot of question when the answers are there....so I can see why people get jumped,,, is it right,,,,,, :) but is it right to ask a question you didn't even search for.

Put your BIG BOY underwear on and suck that shit up and keep moving.... Nobody on these forums pays my bills so if they don't like me and or talk fly to me on the forums ,,,,,,SO LMAO FUNK YOU.... Man up... DAMN!!!!!

You can learn a lot from these forums and that should be your main goal when you come to it, the other is to be pushed, some of the shit that I see these vdjs doing only makes me wanna get better and shit lets you know here you stand as a dj in some cases... Anyway yall have a funky good day... DJ BIG OUT.
juelz701 7:53 PM - 10 August, 2011
Quote:

What baffles me is I asked a question about recording with audacity and received numerous negative remarks about me being a Dj and such and not knowing how to record with audacity, these guys that were making the negative remarks could not even tell me how to record with audacity and a vestax mixer they were unable to tell me that unlike most mixers the vestax uses the send outs as booths outs,

But do you really not understand why this happens? Im not familiar with the thread off hand, BUT i do know there there are hundreds if not thousands of the exact same "how do i record in audacity" threads that can be searched and 99.999% of the time the answers already there but people are to lazy to do their own research before asking others to spoon feed them. If you won a piece of equipment you should take the time to read the manual and be 100% familiar with it, know the ins and outs, appreciate it and know how it works. If you do this your halfway there and the rest of the information is prob there, all you have to do is find it and think Quote:

And I did do my research and nothing worked, no search came up how to record with audacity on a vestax pmc 05 III mixer
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:59 PM - 10 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

But do you really not understand why this happens? Im not familiar with the thread off hand, BUT i do know there there are hundreds if not thousands of the exact same "how do i record in audacity" threads that can be searched and 99.999% of the time the answers already there but people are to lazy to do their own research before asking others to spoon feed them. If you won a piece of equipment you should take the time to read the manual and be 100% familiar with it, know the ins and outs, appreciate it and know how it works. If you do this your halfway there and the rest of the information is prob there, all you have to do is find it and think Quote:

And I did do my research and nothing worked, no search came up how to record with audacity on a vestax pmc 05 III mixer

im lookin at that thread now serato.com where are these "numerous negative remarks" there was only 1 off comment the rest (18) were legitamatley trying to help you and the 1 off commentwasnt even that bad

Quote:

DJ Val-BKNY11203 8:37 AM 22 May 2011 Looks like you have not been DJing long enuff young Padawan.

C'MON son if that upsets you you got alot of work to do
sixxx 8:30 PM - 10 August, 2011
take

the

sand

out

of

your

vagina
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:34 PM - 10 August, 2011
Quote:
take

the

sand

out

of

your

vagina

ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
deejayosa 8:36 PM - 10 August, 2011
Can't we all get along?
Funkytownstopsix 9:19 PM - 10 August, 2011
Because if we did all get along life would be boring
ZESH! 11:01 PM - 10 August, 2011
Quote:
take

the

sand

out

of

your

vagina

+1

www.girlshealth.gov
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:05 PM - 10 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
take

the

sand

out

of

your

vagina

+1

www.girlshealth.gov

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dj_soo 11:49 PM - 10 August, 2011
Quote:
m lookin at that thread now serato.com where are these "numerous negative remarks" there was only 1 off comment the rest (18) were legitamatley trying to help you and the 1 off commentwasnt even that bad

yea, seems like there was only one joke in that whole thread actually so what the hell are you on about?
GilesDavis 11:59 PM - 10 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

im lookin at that thread now serato.com where are these "numerous negative remarks" there was only 1 off comment the rest (18) were legitamatley trying to help you and the 1 off commentwasnt even that bad

Quote:
DJ Val-BKNY11203 8:37 AM 22 May 2011 Looks like you have not been DJing long enuff young Padawan.
C'MON son if that upsets you you got alot of work to do

Pure. Gold. You could even see him getting all hissy in his reply...
Crickett 4:58 AM - 11 August, 2011
it is apparent SOME of the people on this board can't take a little shit from the peeps. Instead of getting pissy about posts.. Why don't you come up with something clever to say in response.

Or-

You can continue to get sand in your vagina.
the_black_one 5:42 AM - 11 August, 2011
arena adentro de la panocha! agaren la aspiradora y secensen toda la arena y dejen de llorar bola de panochas!
Daktyl 6:10 AM - 11 August, 2011
Quote:
Im not familiar with the thread off hand,

A quote I thought I'd never see from bezzle...
Daktyl 6:21 AM - 11 August, 2011
never mind lol...
Quote:
im lookin at that thread now serato.com where are
RichardM3317 7:20 AM - 11 August, 2011
Cool story bro
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:36 PM - 11 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Im not familiar with the thread off hand,

A quote I thought I'd never see from bezzle...

Quote:
never mind lol...
Quote:
im lookin at that thread now serato.com where are

lol you gotta admit a thread called "how do i record in audacity" dosent exactly stand out from the other 1655353 threads with the exact same title, especially when NOTHING interesting happened or was said in the thread.
DJRemix8x3 1:40 PM - 11 August, 2011
Totally agree. but you know how egos and a sudden rush of popularity over shadows skills. It's just DJ nature. That gived me the drive to stay up on my skills and be comtempt with my own.
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:42 PM - 11 August, 2011
Quote:
Totally agree. but you know how egos and a sudden rush of popularity over shadows skills. It's just DJ nature. That gived me the drive to stay up on my skills and be comtempt with my own.

....u sure your in the right thread lol
DJ.Tyme 5:26 AM - 12 August, 2011
Quote:
I have been a dj for over 25 years and don't mind helping anyone with anything that I can do, sure there is negativity on these forums but I have had some many dj's on this very forum help me and help me with stuff that most would not take the time to do dealing with video. So for me my experience has been beneficial on this site.

As an older Dj you wished it was not so easy for younger djs and you wish they had to carry crates and use records so that they know how it use to be compared to today,,,,, but I am a realist things change everyday so we have to as well. I could take the pc vs mac wars that go on here as a negative yet I know I have a pc that runs video or anything else for that matter, my point things can be done many ways and I could care less if you don't like my way because I am still doing my thing how I want too. Funk negative people... Yet I hope you understand the difference from negativity and someone giving you constructive criticism

+1