DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Any suggestions on good external hard drives?

DJ N TYSE 9:20 PM - 6 July, 2005
What's up guys. Used Serato this past weekend and LOVED IT! Problem is that my comp hard drive is filling up FAST, so i need to get an external hard drive to store my music. I have a regular Dell laptop, nothing special...with USB2 port. Does anybody have hard drives that work great for them? I'm looking to get a 200-300gig drive and the last thing i need is this thing to overheat during a party or crash and lose my music collection.
Thundercat 2:48 AM - 7 July, 2005
I had a LaCie 250 GIG poop the bed on me. So far my Western Digital 160 GIG replacement has been flawless.
sixxx 5:36 AM - 7 July, 2005
I agree with Thundercat. I have a 120 WD and so far so ... great!
DJ N TYSE 3:02 PM - 7 July, 2005
Do your hard drives have internal fans for cooling or anything?
DJ 3pm 3:07 PM - 7 July, 2005
most 3.5" drive enclosures don't have fans. i prefer the 5.25" drive enclosures (like for cd-roms) because they have a fan and a built-in powersupply (no funky adaptor, just standard ac cable).
DJ N TYSE 4:29 PM - 7 July, 2005
What do you guys think of this one westerndigital.com

or this one

store.westerndigital.com
DJ N TYSE 4:49 PM - 7 July, 2005
orrrrr cgi.ebay.com

Which one do would you guys go with?
sixxx 6:01 PM - 7 July, 2005
I have the lighted one. :) Mine is only 120 gigs though but it works great and I leave it on overnight all the time and it doesn't overheat.
DJ Revenge! 10:55 PM - 8 July, 2005
I'm using a 300 gig Maxtor, works great... it's kinda funny when i run mine with my friends 250 gig maxtor at the same time running serato. So far so good... no problems...
djgreg1200 6:18 AM - 17 July, 2005
I have a 100GB Seagate 2.5" drive. I love it because I can put it in my pocket and go.
DJ MDX 1:16 PM - 17 July, 2005
I am using a 250G Maxtor and no problems so far.

Wow, Thundercat the Lacie took a crap on you. I thought they were of very good quality. Has anyone else had these problems with Lacie External HD's? I was thinking of getting one.
Revolutionary 1:19 PM - 17 July, 2005
No problems with the LaCie I got.
pinkFifties 11:41 PM - 17 July, 2005
If you want to spend that much I'd get this seagate.
www.newegg.com
I'm thinkign about picking this model up myself, they also have a 400 gb model.
I'd trust a true external drive package from an established company over the reliability of a hdd in an enclosure for serato use.
SF_JTRIX 1:45 AM - 21 September, 2005
I was going to go with a LaCie as well, but I read a lot of reviews on Lacie saying that they basically use crappy hard drives and just put them in a nice case. Most of the Lacie owners said that their drives did not last more than a year. A lot of people recommended Seagate...
biebel 7:13 AM - 21 September, 2005
I bought a LaCie Mobile 2,5" drive which is powered by USB. Watch this drive beacause not every laptop gives enough power through the USB for the LaCie to work. ( which is the case with my Dell Latitude D505 and as i understood for some Apple laptops) So now i have to buy an additional powersupply for it to work on my laptop which sucks.
Dj Paperchase 1:36 AM - 26 September, 2005
yeah I have read a lot of bad things about lacie hard drives even though my friend has two 160 gigs, but after reading some of the reveiws, I think i'll rather go with another company...now i just have to research another one....any one got any suggetions or more on the seagate or western digital.
JohnDP1 11:10 AM - 26 September, 2005
i have a lacie 250 GB and everything is good
Dj Paperchase 5:17 PM - 26 September, 2005
yeah its good right now,. but the reveiews seem to read the same as you but after a year has went by they die!!!
Peeti-V 5:47 PM - 26 September, 2005
what reviews are you specifically talking about???
Dj Paperchase 7:10 PM - 26 September, 2005
just the overall reviews on this forum and the biggest one is on the Apple website, when you look at product reviews, i was surprised that apple would of have those up there, but there they were, now dont get me wrong there were some good reviews up there but there wee just too many bad one for me to even consider buying lacie!!!
tommy_tables 7:12 PM - 26 September, 2005
Hey; I'm sorry but I've hear nothing but great things about the Lacie drives.
Especially for work with video and graphicc. I've also heard raid 5 is ideal for drives which are streaming form as opposed ti just storing. I have an 80gb glyph drive. It doesnt sound like much but after converting to mp3s it hold a lot of music.
Rebelguy 5:23 AM - 27 September, 2005
If you do searches on music software sites like cubase.net, nuendo.com, cakewalk.net, etc. you will find quite a few negative reviews on Lacie drives. I think most of them were for the Porche line. The D2 series are supposed to be pretty solid. If you want to spend a little extra check into rocstor drives. They are rock solid and a lot of recording guys swear by them. If you are going to get glyph try B & H photo. They have the best prices on the GT series.
Dj Paperchase 5:28 AM - 27 September, 2005
Quote:
I think most of them were for the Porche line.

I did see a like of people saying something about Porche....But I didnt understand!!! was that the company who use to make them for Lacie or what?
Rebelguy 7:23 AM - 27 September, 2005
The Porsche was just a series from the company. I guess an equivalant would be JBL's speaker lines...SRX, MX, etc. The D2 series from Lacie is supposed to be a great drive.
Peeti-V 8:09 AM - 27 September, 2005
after reading a lot on the reviews you were talking about.....it seems most of the problems with the lacies have been with macs....this is kind of interesting
Rebelguy 2:25 PM - 27 September, 2005
Something I find interesting is that with all the people who are saying that Mac is the way to go with Serato, all the main topics you read about crashes are people who are using Macs. My neighbor who is a programmer told me that Macs USED to be really stable until they switched to OS X and windows based machines didn't get stable untl they swtiched to XP.
DJ MDX 3:34 PM - 27 September, 2005
nope not true at all...

My mac is 100X more dependable than my PC.

I have never had a crash on any of my macs...and I have owned macs way b4 OSX......but early windows to now XP...always problems with it.

Just because you see problems with lacies with macs..it does not mean it is a mac problem...that is lacie problem...the other thing is most mac owners know about lacie b4 they know about any other because they advertise heavily on the mac side and were listed on apples site at one time.

so nope I will take a Mac with OS X over a PC with XP anytime.....and so will just about every audio and video professional that depend on a stable and reliable system.

My Maxtor OneTouch II FireWire and USB external HD has been bullet proof for me since day one.
www.maxtor.com
Rebelguy 5:47 PM - 27 September, 2005
MDX...

If your system works for you then that is great. I am not saying that they are all problematic. I was merely stating that most of the topics you see in regard to peoples systems crashing lately have been with a Mac.

In regard to the Lacie drives, I am not a fan of them. I just wnated to let everyone know that most of the problems I have read about were with the Porsche line.

Now your statement about the audio and video professionals taking mac over pc is a little to cut and dry. Macs in their present state cannot keep up with a high end PC. A dual AMD Opteron will smoke anything out there and if you want to go next level try a Dual CPU dual Core Opteron system. A lot of audio studios are switching to PC because of power. A properly tuned Xp system is extremely stable. Things may change when Mac are running on Intel chips but that still may be problematic in the beginning as they have to rewrite their code. There are A LOT of top audio pros on the PC side. The same can't be said about the video side because there is really nothing that competes with Final Cut Pro.
Dj Paperchase 7:13 PM - 27 September, 2005
So you guys are saying if I do Decide to go with a LAcie dont get the Porche series right???? Ok I will get the Next series after that or I will try the Maxtor out....Thanks guys
Rebelguy 7:35 PM - 27 September, 2005
The series you should look at is the D2 series. They are available at the Apple store.
DJ MDX 3:26 AM - 28 September, 2005
Quote:
Things may change when Mac are running on Intel chips but.....

This will then put the balance where it belongs...OS X and XP both running off of Intel chips (not PowerPC) so it will then be all about the OS and not the chip set..I wonder if AMD will then be incorporated into this mariage as well.

I am very anxiouse to see what the out come is when OS X and XP are both running side by side with the same app. and same intel chip...that will be a great show.

As far as OS X being problematic with intel chips in the beginning...I sure hope not...I believe Steve will do all the testing or has already done plenty of it b4 the news release of the mariage to intel chips...it would not make any business sense to announce then test....or Bill will ride their ass about it...lol
Dj Paperchase 4:36 AM - 28 September, 2005
it dont matter what ya'll say MAC will still be the better Laptop....It will always be!!!! So just bend over and take it!!!! lol
Rebelguy 4:48 AM - 28 September, 2005
Better in what way. They aren't anymore powerful and don't offer any other features you couldn't get in a pc laptop...with the exception of a cool case.
Dj Paperchase 5:29 AM - 28 September, 2005
My G4 is so SEXY....It operates way better than a PC....in terms of speed....programs......design.....problems....everything....I have nothing agianst pc's but i have been using a pc for at lest 7 to 8 years and only a mac for bout a year...but now that i actually own one for only bout two weeks now but its so sexy and so alive....whats really good who out there want to compete with my powerbook.........no one...as i thought!!!
Rebelguy 3:24 PM - 28 September, 2005
If you are happy with what you got then that is really what matters. I am happy with my laptop and what it can do also. There we go...everyone is happy and we didn't even have to get into another Mac vs. PS debate.