Off-topic Discussion

That which does not fit elsewhere. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Bay Area Help

mobius909 3:43 PM - 4 August, 2011
What up y'all.
I'm moving to work in Alameda, CA and I really have no clue about the general area. I know that Oakland isn't what you would call "safe". I'm also concerned about the weather... I'd rather it be hot (this excludes SF). From what I've heard and very scarcely seen, Walnut Creek area is pretty nice and warm too, but a little bit too country for me. I'd also like to get into some new construction (house over townhome/condo) due to the fact that my new wife and I want to grow into the house with kids one day (under $400k). I want to be no more than 45 min from work.

What are your suggestions?
Include -
1. Weather
2. Schools (wife wants to continue photography school from Brooks in Santa Barbara).
3. Coolness of town
4. Modern conveniences
5. Commute
6. Affordability
uno seis 6:28 PM - 4 August, 2011
I grew up in Oakland and am living there for now. Don't believe the hype - it's just like any other big city that has nice parts and ghetto parts.

1. Best weather is in the east bay (i.e. Oakland)
2. I am a product of Oakland public schools, if you live in a decent neighborhood, public schools are good. Berkeley is good too (went to BHS).
3. 4. 5. Personally, I wouldn't live anywhere in the bay except Oakland, Berkeley, Alameda or SF due to these factors.
6. Those cities are also the least affordable.

Note: I am very biased against suburbs. Take my recommendations with a grain of salt. If you grew up in the burbs and that's what you like, and you don't mind driving 45-60 minutes to get to work every day then you probably will be more open to other cities around here.
Free Man 12:01 AM - 5 August, 2011
I grew up in South San Jose... Too expensive... But it was nice. To pick a place, you'd need a job... I wouldnt pick a place first.
Audio1 1:47 AM - 5 August, 2011
If your job is in Alameda, Anywhere in the East Bay will be fine. Static lives up in Richmond, Uno Seis up in Oakland. I live in Hayward which is a 20 minute drive south from Alameda. Anywhere from Oakland thru Union City should be fine. More affordable housing that SF and the Peninsula.
mobius909 6:40 AM - 6 August, 2011
Free Man - I'm moving up FOR work. they transferred me.
A1 - How do you like Hayward?
is richmond nice? what about Vallejo?
Thanks for the recommendations fellas.
mobius909 7:02 AM - 6 August, 2011
what about emoryville?
mobius909 7:02 AM - 6 August, 2011
what about emoryville?
uno seis 5:29 PM - 8 August, 2011
Emeryville isn't bad. Lots of new housing has been built over there
Audio1 6:05 PM - 19 August, 2011
I grew up in Hayward and moved back last year. Its a city in transition. While most parts are decent, It is starting to become very hood. It really depends on the area.
andrew b 8:00 PM - 19 August, 2011
richmond is where u never wanna be lol jk
andrew b 8:03 PM - 19 August, 2011
emeryville is dope, its in the center of the bay, nice weather, and a lil more family. parts of oak is nice too. i used to frequent that 24 hr longs hahahah
mobius909 4:24 PM - 22 August, 2011
I heard richmond hills, if you can get a richmond address and hug the border of the neighboring city, you'll be safe. true?

thanks again for all your help.
Free Man 3:05 PM - 23 August, 2011
Quote:
I heard richmond hills, if you can get a richmond address and hug the border of the neighboring city, you'll be safe. true?

from memory it has a really nice part... I remember growing up in San Jose, you had the east side where you didnt want to be... then you had east of the east side, and then all of a sudden you had some crazy houses that were huge and hella nice (had to put the hella in there lol)
latindj 4:29 PM - 23 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

from memory it has a really nice part... I remember growing up in San Jose, you had the east side where you didnt want to be... then you had east of the east side, and then all of a sudden you had some crazy houses that were huge and hella nice (had to put the hella in there lol)

I grew up in east san jose...it wasn't as bad as people made it out to be...
Free Man 5:02 PM - 23 August, 2011
too far for me to know... I think San Jose is bigger than most people think. I grew up close to Los Gatos
hyun 5:52 PM - 23 August, 2011
Quote:

i grew up in the el cerrito hills which is right next to richmond... the freeway is a good indication of how safe you'll be, try to be on the hillside of the freeway and you should be fine.
latindj 8:58 PM - 23 August, 2011
Quote:
too far for me to know... I think San Jose is bigger than most people think. I grew up close to Los Gatos

that explains a lot...lol!
Free Man 9:28 PM - 23 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

that explains a lot...lol!

So does you living on the East side...
FunkyRob 10:21 PM - 24 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I grew up in east san jose...it wasn't as bad as people made it out to be...

Story & King essay. In elementary school, I used to pretend I was half mexican so I wouldn't get my ass beat. Having a spanish lastname, made it believable.
latindj 10:59 PM - 24 August, 2011
LOL! the crusing on Story & King was unbelievable...there's never been anything like it since...
MSF 4:07 PM - 15 September, 2011
i grew up in evergreen area.. quimby rd/ruby.

ya.. i remember the cruising days back then...before the cops shut it down....that was back in the '91 era when those norte' and sur'eno chicks were lookin HOT!
latindj 6:22 PM - 15 September, 2011
Quote:

ya.. i remember the cruising days back then...before the cops shut it down....that was back in the '91 era when those norte' and sur'eno chicks were lookin HOT!

yup, yup...I grew up by Hillview Airport. Damn planes kept falling in my backyard! lol
Free Man 7:13 PM - 15 September, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

yup, yup...I grew up by Hillview Airport. Damn planes kept falling in my backyard! lol

Those weren't planes, they were your daily packages from the Zetas...
FunkyRob 6:06 PM - 16 September, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

I remember recording my favorite songs on cassette as the played them on 107.7 KSOL and getting random radio interference from those little planes. I'd really get pissed off.

Moved out of that area before I went to high school. Glad too, because I would have gone to Overfelt High School if we didn't get out of there.
latindj 8:30 PM - 16 September, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I remember recording my favorite songs on cassette as the played them on 107.7 KSOL and getting random radio interference from those little planes. I'd really get pissed off.

Moved out of that area before I went to high school. Glad too, because I would have gone to Overfelt High School if we didn't get out of there.

ha ha! me too...but I didn't go there. I was a good student and went to Bellarmine.
mobius909 11:22 PM - 16 September, 2011
ok,

I'm looking at a bunch of places this weekend off of craigslist:
concord, pinole, martinez, berkeley, el sob, castro valley, pleasant hill, walnut creek. i also want to go drive through danville.

any suggestions, concerns?
Audio1 6:18 AM - 17 September, 2011
I'd Recommend Hayward and Castro Valley... since I've lived in both towns in the past 2 decades.
Free Man 4:37 PM - 17 September, 2011
Quote:
I went to Bellarmine.

that explains everything...
latindj 9:46 PM - 17 September, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
I went to Bellarmine.

Yes, why I am your superior...
Free Man 3:37 PM - 19 September, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I went to Bellarmine.

i wasnt going to try to take that road... I was talking more about having gone to an all boy school and stuff...
latindj 3:40 PM - 19 September, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I went to Bellarmine.

i wasnt going to try to take that road... I was talking more about having gone to an all boy school and stuff...

don't worry, I didn't associate with your kind...
Free Man 3:44 PM - 19 September, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I went to Bellarmine.

are you saying that you're gay?
latindj 4:11 PM - 19 September, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I went to Bellarmine.

are you saying that you're gay?

quite the opposite my friend...
Free Man 4:17 PM - 19 September, 2011
well, what kind are you implying?
latindj 5:10 PM - 19 September, 2011
Quote:

lol!
Free Man 7:41 PM - 19 September, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

lol!

Legal?
MSF 8:02 PM - 19 September, 2011
I went to Mount Pleasant high school... which I suppose is now called 'Mount Pregnant' these days....

Quote:
ok,

I'm looking at a bunch of places this weekend off of craigslist:
concord, pinole, martinez, berkeley, el sob, castro valley, pleasant hill, walnut creek. i also want to go drive through danville.

any suggestions, concerns?

I moved out of the Bay area in about 2003-2004..(somewheres in there...)
I moved to Mountain House which is near Tracy.. (209 area code // 95391 zip)
The area that I live in is a new development and the schools are supposedly top rated....probably because the schools are new and the area has not been saturated with the 'bad element'.

I believe that Mountain house is closer to the Bay than Danville is, but I am not sure.. my geography skillz suk.

Alot of the homes in my area are being short-sold as the occupants cannot afford their homes anymore due to the peoples losing their jobs... so , you can get a 2500 sq/ft house for about 250k-270k.

I work in fremont and my commute from home to fremont is about 45mins.
mobius909 6:20 AM - 20 September, 2011
from what i'vte found, that area has way more house for your money, but it's too far from my office. We found a cute 3br/2ba on a quiet street in Concord on Sunday. Hope everything goes well in the credit app part. Moving Oct 1. jammy jam?
FunkyRob 7:13 AM - 20 September, 2011
I'm puzzled by something. you said new place was "cute". Are you female?
latindj 3:53 PM - 20 September, 2011
Quote:

oh come on Rob! Just because you've never used the word to describe anything in your life (girlfriend) doesn't make him female, or homo for that matter cuz I'm sure that's where you are going, for using it...sheesh! LOL
MSF 8:58 PM - 20 September, 2011
are you guys still making bellermine references? j/k
mobius909 9:36 PM - 20 September, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

oh come on Rob! Just because you've never used the word to describe anything in your life (girlfriend) doesn't make him female, or homo for that matter cuz I'm sure that's where you are going, for using it...sheesh! LOL

my wife is cute...
your mom is cute too
Free Man 2:55 AM - 21 September, 2011
Quote:
are you guys still making bellermine references? j/k

except for the female part...
MSF 5:13 PM - 21 September, 2011
lol
mobius909 8:14 PM - 15 June, 2012
now my job is talking about moving the shop and office to Livermore...

Dublin and Pleasanton sound like it'll be a nice choice with a little more new construction. I def don't want to be too far from work (bart burning this week)
DJ SPAIR 1:41 AM - 27 June, 2012
Quote:
now my job is talking about moving the shop and office to Livermore...

Dublin and Pleasanton sound like it'll be a nice choice with a little more new construction. I def don't want to be too far from work (bart burning this week)

Livermore..yuck! I would never. Where do you work now?
mobius909 5:41 AM - 27 June, 2012
Alameda, live in concord. might not be an option...
DJ GOODFOOT 4:17 AM - 1 July, 2012
I'd go with Dublin or Pleasanton, especially if you are starting a family. You can get a brand new house in a safe area there for a good price right now at one of the best loan rates in history. Those areas will also appreciate far more when the economy bounces back than something in Richmond or a suspect part of Oakland. The commute either to Alameda or Livermore won't be that bad from Dublin/Pleasanton and there is a bart station close to both. If you want to have kids the school districts are WAY better in that area as well and it makes a big difference both for quality of education and resale value if you move again. Concord is similar but the commute is more difficult out there and it is older.
mobius909 6:09 AM - 1 July, 2012
Mountain House has some great villages opening up for like $250-300k. We're thinking of moving to where the big box stores are as a company. not a bad investment, as i'm looking at it now. Eventually i wanna work freelance from home and move back to la.. this might be a good move for now.
RaySwift 6:00 PM - 2 July, 2012
Union City
DJ SPAIR 9:30 AM - 3 July, 2012
I would try Castro Valley. It's about a 15 min drive to Livermore and your not too far out.
mobius909 4:21 PM - 15 September, 2017
Funny, I just checked back on this post from way back... After a year in Concord, my office moved to Livermore, so I bought a house in Livermore a mile from my office off Vasco (2011). Some of you dogged Livermore, but it's the best decision I've made, real estate wise. I found a house with a basement and totally gutted it, soundproofed the ceiling and built a second house with an exterior entrance that i'm now going to rent on AirBnB. So not only did the value of my house double, i'm going to have someone else pay for my mortgage. Plus, now i'm two kids deep and i get to come home for lunch every day. livermore is definitely family friendly. The outlets are here and there's a ton of wine/wedding stuff going on. If we stay long enough, I will have bought my house for $418k and sold for $1MM