DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Just landed a new Residency, but I might be over my head

DJ FUN TIMES :) 7:42 PM - 24 August, 2007
I just landed a Residency at this new club in the "Upscale" section of my city. The club manager wants me to dj kinda like the dj on the top 40 radio station. when listening to the "top 40" radio station the dj just played x-xix records, funkymix, and these dance remixes to the popular songs. I have no problem mixing the music but I do have a problem with the music. I usually play hip-hop, R&B, dance hall, and Baltimore Club music. Are there any record pools or websites I can go to, to get those dance/miami bass/house remixes of popular songs? I got a few off of Crooklyn Clan's website. I have 2 weeks before I start at this club and I trying to get my music in order.
djbriguy 7:50 PM - 24 August, 2007
Screw it.. get about 20 songs like that, and play the rest of the night your way... slowly convert the club. =)
a-swift 7:54 PM - 24 August, 2007
briguy is not kidding. slowly get them "on your page"
djbriguy 7:56 PM - 24 August, 2007
i mean.. i say that because you don't wanna be a clone DJ... you wanna have your own style right?
LightsOut06 8:18 PM - 24 August, 2007
TRUST ME, you dont know want to be one of those funkymix DJs. That stuff makes me want to throw up. If you want to be top 40 and play funkymix type songs go look at all the funkymix cds and download/buy the REAL versions of those songs. That allows you to spin top40ish music without the stupid funkymix stuff.
djbriguy 8:20 PM - 24 August, 2007
i used to play alot of funkymixes when i first started dj'ing

*insert red face*

don't worry, i quickly learned it was cheating!!
djbriguy 8:20 PM - 24 August, 2007
heck, i even made remixes with a funkymix style haha... check my site.
djmarvel 9:08 PM - 24 August, 2007
it seems like every asian dj in my city has every funkymix ever made, they all have them and thats all they play.

Im not saying every single one does, but alot do.

I have some, i like to play the olders ones with the chorus in front so i can mix out before the verse so i can get the crowd to chant the hook then get out of the song.

maybe its just me but i hate the hi hats of funkymixes more then anything
Dj Shamann 9:35 PM - 24 August, 2007
Quote:

don't worry, i quickly learned it was cheating!!

How is it cheating?
LightsOut06 11:46 PM - 24 August, 2007
i dont think its cheating but it gets HELLA repetitive. In KC on the radio they have a live broadcast where this HERB mixes funky mixes back to back from the intro to outro for like 3 hours. It's fucking annoying. Worse mixes I've ever heard.
djnvs 12:21 AM - 25 August, 2007
A few funkymixes are cool.... but a whole night of it can get boring... they all have the same drum beat they add....
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 12:27 AM - 25 August, 2007
Quote:
I just landed a Residency at this new club in the "Upscale" section of my city. The club manager wants me to dj kinda like the dj on the top 40 radio station. when listening to the "top 40" radio station the dj just played x-xix records, funkymix, and these dance remixes to the popular songs. I have no problem mixing the music but I do have a problem with the music. I usually play hip-hop, R&B, dance hall, and Baltimore Club music. Are there any record pools or websites I can go to, to get those dance/miami bass/house remixes of popular songs? I got a few off of Crooklyn Clan's website. I have 2 weeks before I start at this club and I trying to get my music in order.

A friend turned me on to a new online pool that is just starting out - www.idjpool.net. I haven't joined just yet but ask Dave the pool director to send you a list of some of the stuff he has up. He does have some remix services up now and some of the House remix stuff. It is based in Chicago so a lot of those guy do House remixes of popular Urban stuff and he gets it first because he is cool with all the Chicago remixers plus the Major labels.

His website is being put together for a launch soon, working mainly via email and FTP but check it out.

www.idjpool.com

PS, He also does Urban like all the other pools plus some Dance stuff too.
Dj Shamann 12:30 AM - 25 August, 2007
Quote:
i dont think its cheating but it gets HELLA repetitive. In KC on the radio they have a live broadcast where this HERB mixes funky mixes back to back from the intro to outro for like 3 hours. It's fucking annoying. Worse mixes I've ever heard.

Funkymix the series itself IS annoying because it seems that the remixers are too busy showing of their scratching skills (or lack of in somce cases) rather than the remix itself, but other series make some decent remakes in terms of heavier beat, better mix and remaster etc, so I'll play those over a regular cut anyday. As far as the 8 bar if that's what some people refer to as "cheating" how is it any different than having and endless loop at the click of a mouse on Serato complete with cue points? Bottom line is I've had people come up and ask me "where'd you get that mix of [insert track here] from? It hits so much harder than my CD" so sometimes that little extra on the track is appreciated. And if it's one where it's got an 8 bar drum build up, then 8 bar instrumentation etc, and you're mixing that over the end counterpart of another song it take more mixing skill to run the mix for those 16-24 bars than it does 2 bars of any random "original mix" Hip Hop track. They're no different than an extended mix, which we used to get on 12" back in the early Hip Hop days anyway..or any different from an EDM cat running his special extended of a track he digs rather than the original.
Dj Shamann 12:36 AM - 25 August, 2007
Quote:
A few funkymixes are cool.... but a whole night of it can get boring... they all have the same drum beat they add....

As I said, I'm not really a fan of the Funkymix series, a lot of times it is the same cornball beat with a little scratch intro with phrases that have nothing to do with the song itself, so I'm with you there, but some of the other services do compliment the original tracks nicely.
DJ Daffy 10:43 PM - 25 August, 2007
I use both 12" records and Extended records (Funkymix, lethal, etc...)In fact my serato usually has all of them. Dirty, Clean, Inst, (32) beat intro. To me it just depends on the track. There are some records that I love to let the Inst. version play and the crowd keeps dancing and eats it up. Other tracks can be dance floor killers if you don't get right into the song. So depending on the venue, the song, and the flow of the night I choose between 12" and Extended.

Is it cheating? I don't think so. You still have to know what to play and when to do it. I do agree though that adding flavor with some 12" records does make the whole set complete and sounds better.

I like to balance my play about 50/50 (Half 12" and half extendeds to keep the energy going) When I practice i use all 12" and enjoy cutting in and out. In the club about 50/50
Mr. $weetlife 1:33 AM - 26 August, 2007
Please do not become yet another Funkymix consumer! I beg of you! Use your ear to find what you think is hot and don't cop out with that GARBAGE!
DJ Overpour 7:57 AM - 27 August, 2007
Quote:

LOL what station? Ive heard some shit like that here as well.
ralph 9:47 AM - 27 August, 2007
Quote:
it seems like every asian dj in my city has every funkymix ever made, they all have them and thats all they play.

Im not saying every single one does, but alot do.

I have some, i like to play the olders ones with the chorus in front so i can mix out before the verse so i can get the crowd to chant the hook then get out of the song.

maybe its just me but i hate the hi hats of funkymixes more then anything

what's wrong with "asian" djs?
Request_This_Ladies 12:04 PM - 27 August, 2007
FMs serve their purposes. Using them doesn't mean you are any less of a DJ. Do whatever you need to do to please the crowd and make the club money.

When you achieve name recognition and tour, then you can play whatever you want.

If you want to be a purist, then unplug the laptop and break out the vinyl.
djmarvel 5:12 PM - 27 August, 2007
There is nothing wrong with asian dj's and i didnt say there was, i just said alot of the asian cats i have played with in dallas use a ton of funkymixes, more so then the original versions of the song. Trust me come to dallas one weekend and go to a few asian parties mostly funkiymixes

There are a ton of great asian dj's, many of them are influences on me, babu, shortkut, rholi rho, q, etc
DJBlisk 5:16 PM - 27 August, 2007
<somebody get the popcorn!!!>
FlexyD 6:56 PM - 27 August, 2007
Here you go blisk...You want extra butter this time?
cappinkirk 6:57 PM - 27 August, 2007
a lot of white people (as well as people of other nationalities) play those songs also, including many other nationalities who are from texas...you might be better off not referring to asian dj's from texas exclusively in a negative manner unless you are trying to get attention.
cappinkirk 7:13 PM - 27 August, 2007
...especially if you live in texas...unless you're just a total badass of course.
DJBlisk 7:53 PM - 27 August, 2007
Quote:
Here you go blisk...You want extra butter this time?

thanks... can you toss me a beer?
djmarvel 8:04 PM - 27 August, 2007
Quote:
a lot of white people (as well as people of other nationalities) play those songs also, including many other nationalities who are from texas...you might be better off not referring to asian dj's from texas exclusively in a negative manner unless you are trying to get attention.

well i am a badass, lol

i didnt say there was anything negative about anyone playing funkymixes, i never said it was cheating or it was a bad thing. its just something i noticed since alot of asian dj's in dallas are friends of mine and i have dj'd with alot of them that i dont know too well.
djnvs 8:13 PM - 27 August, 2007
Yea.. Asian djs in dallas seem to love funkymixes... I didn't use too many of them with vinyl, used a lot with cds, still have them on my hard drive since I still use them from time to time....

Funkymixes just make it easier when you're at a boring gig that you just wanna get through... plus all the samples at the beginning seem to get people hyped up...

But A LOT of asian djs here have them...
djnvs 8:18 PM - 27 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

As I said, I'm not really a fan of the Funkymix series, a lot of times it is the same cornball beat with a little scratch intro with phrases that have nothing to do with the song itself, so I'm with you there, but some of the other services do compliment the original tracks nicely.

X-mix to me sounds a little better... but still the same company... all the strictly hits series were good... like lethal weapons and there was a local series here in dallas called g-cuts that was pretty good...
DJCheLu 8:18 PM - 27 August, 2007
Whats a funky mix?? Lol sorry im nub, when i get home from work i will you tube it :)
djnvs 8:20 PM - 27 August, 2007
Oh..and wicked mix wasn't too bad either..
djmarvel 8:21 PM - 27 August, 2007
its a company that does music edits but adding a 32 beat intro and some chants or scratches, then the actual song. they also add loud hi hats to every track too
djnvs 8:23 PM - 27 August, 2007
Quote:
Whats a funky mix?? Lol sorry im nub, when i get home from work i will you tube it :)

Funky mix is a remix service...
sixxx 8:24 PM - 27 August, 2007
Funkymixes are the worst... cause of the scratches and added stuff. Lethal Weapon I believe only has extended intros. So does Xmix if I'm not mistaken. There are all kinds of compilations out there that were originally designed for DJ's who couldn't afford buying all kinds of music on vinyl. Instead, a record contained 10+ heaters. These were/are typically bootlegs.

Aaaaanyway, nothing wrong with them if that's what you want to use, but man.... if that's all you use, I feel sorry for you.
djnvs 8:34 PM - 27 August, 2007
Quote:
Funkymixes are the worst... cause of the scratches and added stuff. Lethal Weapon I believe only has extended intros. So does Xmix if I'm not mistaken. There are all kinds of compilations out there that were originally designed for DJ's who couldn't afford buying all kinds of music on vinyl. Instead, a record contained 10+ heaters. These were/are typically bootlegs.

Aaaaanyway, nothing wrong with them if that's what you want to use, but man.... if that's all you use, I feel sorry for you.

I've been to a place in lttle rock where the dj played funkymixes from beginning to end...
djmarvel 8:38 PM - 27 August, 2007
I've been to a place in lttle rock where the dj played funkymixes from beginning to end...

yeah i remember that dude, he thought he was rockin it. a certain famous dj was with us and clowing that dude hard haha, not for playing funkymix, for waiting till the last 32 beats to mix the next song in. those things are like 5-6 mins long too.

i think that dude produces some edits for ultimix nvs.
djnvs 8:45 PM - 27 August, 2007
Haha... like the dude in dallas that did the usher edit?... dj gruve I think... with his "trademark crab scratch"...haha
djmarvel 9:07 PM - 27 August, 2007
oh yeah, i never understood the trademark crab thing.
poloi3eai2 9:13 PM - 27 August, 2007
Dont worry dude. Every club owner/promoter that doesn't want a thug crowd says they want you to play Top 40. Just dont play too much dirty south like Soulja Boy or Ay Bay Bay. If the owner knew more about music he'd spefically tell you to play ie pop, reggae, bmore house. He's pretty much saying dont play thug music. Just play shit to keep the ladies on the dancefloor.
mobius909 9:17 PM - 27 August, 2007
do yourself a favor and start marking track marks on your tracks and get real familar with the loop tools in SSL. Be creative and do your homework/research thoroughly. GO Rock it my friend, rock it indeed.
ralph 9:49 PM - 27 August, 2007
oops....for real. I AM asian and funkymix's are kinda wack cause there's scratching in it. I used to consider dj's that used funkymix records ALL THE TIME were like "microwave" dj's back then.

djmarvel - I was actually just busting your balls about the whole "asian" thing. I sorta understand...but, i just get annoyed anytime race is thrown in when it really doesn't seem neccessary.
djmarvel 11:06 PM - 27 August, 2007
its cool, those same dallas asian djs drive honda's too lol jk
djmarvel 11:18 PM - 27 August, 2007
yeah the dude who started this thread, you may want to try promo only, the urban series gives you acapellas and instrumentals too
djnvs 11:39 PM - 27 August, 2007
Quote:
oh yeah, i never understood the trademark crab thing.

I guess q-bert got it from him
LazyGun 12:53 AM - 28 August, 2007
I don't think Funkymix has hit the Uk yet... =/