DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Any DJ's with a graduate degree?

deejayosa 9:41 PM - 31 July, 2011
About to graduate from my undergraduate studies. Was wondering out of those of you who went to college, who went on to pursue graduate degrees. Seems like it would be tough to juggle DJing, job, and schooling at a professional level.

Just curious :-)
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:52 PM - 31 July, 2011
These cats ain't got no time to be edumacated... :)
deejayosa 10:16 PM - 31 July, 2011
lol

Idk I feel jaded by my whole college experience. Hate everything about it. Not that I don't like learning I just dislike the school system. For example right now I'm done with my major. Only thing left to do is accumulate electives. It's supposed to make me a "well-rounded' individual. To me it is just a scam for the schools to make more money.

Ok done with the rant. Ha ha :-D
BigDookie 4:20 AM - 1 August, 2011
+1.... but im still trying to decide wat grad degree to get
R-Tistic 4:38 AM - 1 August, 2011
I might do Grad, I finished undergrad in 08. And I only became a DJ because I went to college in another state. Being out of state not only made me a DJ, but made me a LOT different from everyone here in L.A. because I realize that everyone nationwide doesn't respond the same way to music as we do.
deejayosa 4:58 AM - 1 August, 2011
Yeah I didn't go to school out of state but I did go to a whole different region. I have noticed the differences. Honestly going to college made me a DJ. It was something I was always interested in. I found that I had a lot of free time on my hands (my college is not in a big city). So I saved up that good ole' work study money and began the journey.

Now I just can't decide whether to go on to graduate studies.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:20 PM - 1 August, 2011
Quote:
lol

Idk I feel jaded by my whole college experience. Hate everything about it. Not that I don't like learning I just dislike the school system. For example right now I'm done with my major. Only thing left to do is accumulate electives. It's supposed to make me a "well-rounded' individual. To me it is just a scam for the schools to make more money.

Ok done with the rant. Ha ha :-D

The reality is the entire school system is scam to make money , its not set up to prepare you for your future, its there to make money
DJRemix8x3 4:49 PM - 1 August, 2011
About to graduate with a BA for Mass Communications. It helped me on the audio and video side. Thought about doing the radio staions, but again just a thought.

DJRemix
DJ Nightmare Productions 4:59 PM - 1 August, 2011
I have a MBA and I work at State Farm Insurance and still be rocking these parties.. just don't get much sleep..
Dj Nyce 7:44 PM - 1 August, 2011
wasn't tough at all. computer and information science at the ohio state university.
deejayosa 3:21 AM - 2 August, 2011
hmm, there is some good input here.
guess i just gotta think out my options then.
RAYSH 3:59 AM - 2 August, 2011
Raises hand

I have diploma in advertising, a Bachelor of Communications and a Master's in Media Practice
thebuttonfreak 4:41 AM - 2 August, 2011
Working on a phd, no time for professional djing, it's how I unleash the stress now and days.
Dj L.T. 5:56 AM - 2 August, 2011
I have a bachelors, full time job, great dj business and I am a dad. I feel good just posting that =)
a DJ 6:08 AM - 2 August, 2011
Congrats yall foreal, I couldn't even do undergrad while trying to keep my DJ and music dreams alive. In fact I slowly gave them up while trying to do school. But I'm goin back to school in my hometown and hopefully this time I'll balance everything even while working full time.
RAYSH 6:46 AM - 2 August, 2011
studying for my masters was probably the most intense period of my life, so after the first semester I did it part time and managed to DJ on the weekends while studying during the week. it made life so much easier
deejayosa 4:13 PM - 2 August, 2011
wow congrats for those with grad degrees. i thought undergrad was intense enough. shout outs to you guys for real.
deejayosa 4:16 PM - 2 August, 2011
shouts to the dad in the group too ha ha ha
dj pesh 4:40 PM - 2 August, 2011
Gratuated in Ba Hons Sound Engineering and Design in 2008, whilst i had a daytime job (part time), and also a resident dj every Fri and Sat.
spirez 8:55 PM - 2 August, 2011
Graduated in sports therapy, 1st class honours.

As my day job I am a personal trainer, therapist and strength and conditioning coach for brazilian jiu-jitsu athletes
Audio1 8:55 PM - 2 August, 2011
Bachelors in Engineering and Computer Sciences.
dj_KaSE 9:54 PM - 2 August, 2011
Quote:
About to graduate from my undergraduate studies. Was wondering out of those of you who went to college, who went on to pursue graduate degrees. Seems like it would be tough to juggle DJing, job, and schooling at a professional level.

Just curious :-)

In my case, it was about juggling being a full-time graduate student, family (wife and kid), and DJing. It took its toll. My family suffered the most. Glad school's over.
mle 10:44 PM - 2 August, 2011
Ph.D. in electrical engineering, family (wife and 5 kids), and still on turntables after 20 yrs with a steady residency...
sacrilicious 10:51 PM - 2 August, 2011
One of the best DJs (and most recognized out of our town) in Portland is PhD in philosophy and it's in his moniker--Doc Adam.
Audio1 10:54 PM - 2 August, 2011
Quote:
One of the best DJs (and most recognized out of our town) in Portland is PhD in philosophy and it's in his moniker--Doc Adam.
sick!
Audio1 10:55 PM - 2 August, 2011
Quote:
Ph.D. in electrical engineering, family (wife and 5 kids), and still on turntables after 20 yrs with a steady residency...
I can relate. Bachelors degree, Family, Wife, nieces/nephews, 9 to 5 job, 20 years on the decks... I need some sleep.
sacrilicious 10:56 PM - 2 August, 2011
Yeah he's on sabbatical right now but he was literally going back and forth between editing papers and editing songs in his spare time.
2Seven 11:01 PM - 2 August, 2011
BSc in Human Geography and am going back to school, literally, in September to become a secondary/high school Geography teacher
Audio1 11:04 PM - 2 August, 2011
Quote:
Yeah he's on sabbatical right now but he was literally going back and forth between editing papers and editing songs in his spare time.
He truly is a DOCTOR.
mle 11:25 PM - 2 August, 2011
DJ'n for me takes a back seat to everything else that goes on in my life. I wish I could devote more time to be better at it but I'm still just happy being able to play out at a club with everything else that goes on. I don't think you can go wrong with sticking with school. It's very hard to leave school, work, and then decide to go back years later. So, I advise you to keep going if you can manage it and are getting by now. I did a lot of mobile gigs to help pay my way through college (beats any other part-time job)... At the company I work for, we get lots of resumes and you won't even get a phone screen if you don't have a graduate degree or lots of good experience.
grrillatactics 11:30 PM - 2 August, 2011
Masters degree here. It wasn't too bad because I wasn't pursuing a lot of gigs at the time. I think that the key is to just be smart about how you spend your time.
Serato
dave 1:36 AM - 3 August, 2011
Quote:

You've won this thread, hands down :)
dj_KaSE 2:39 AM - 3 August, 2011
Thread locked!
dj_KaSE 2:39 AM - 3 August, 2011
Any other MSWs in this forum?
deejayosa 2:56 AM - 3 August, 2011
Quote:

dude seriously, I thought i had priorities. You are an inspiration!
deejayosa 2:58 AM - 3 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
sick!

+1

If i get a PhD I would be using the title to the fullest. Its a privilege well earned.
DJ MV 3:01 AM - 3 August, 2011
Half way through my grad program. I will be done in May 2012, well actually when I finish my capstone.
deejayosa 3:02 AM - 3 August, 2011
Quote:
DJ'n for me takes a back seat to everything else that goes on in my life. I wish I could devote more time to be better at it but I'm still just happy being able to play out at a club with everything else that goes on. I don't think you can go wrong with sticking with school. It's very hard to leave school, work, and then decide to go back years later. So, I advise you to keep going if you can manage it and are getting by now. I did a lot of mobile gigs to help pay my way through college (beats any other part-time job)... At the company I work for, we get lots of resumes and you won't even get a phone screen if you don't have a graduate degree or lots of good experience.

This is some good advice. Knowing myself, I know if I stop schooling now, I'll probably never come back.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:22 AM - 3 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

dude seriously, I thought i had priorities. You are an inspiration!

Say that *ish again....they didn't hear you...
mle 4:49 AM - 3 August, 2011
You know what... I wish I could take all the credit but if you have a great supportive better half (wife) then it's very manageable. Just don't sell yourself short in life by quitting too early. Some of my best years were back in college as a "poor" student...
TGK 6:01 AM - 3 August, 2011
M.Sc in Information Technology :)
a DJ 9:02 AM - 3 August, 2011
Damn yall I keep hearing all this about you should stay in school but that shit aint interesting to me. I know my brain gets rusty for school after just a summer break. But I keep my brain sharp reading and such anyway. I love studying psychology, I'm just not a school person cuz I don't like the way it works. I learn by doing, learning by hearing and by visual has gone out the window for me years ago. So for now I'm just taking interesting classes back home at community college.

Going to college actually ruined my confidence and dreams. Got depressed out there, lost sight of my music, went from straight As to straight Fs lol, everything! So now I'm just loving being back home and getting my love and confidence back. Hopefully it was just the college town and I'll bounce back and do school too, cuz I was doing school and music back in HS and did it well enough to get to a university, but I wasn't working for money to pay bills either.
Certified Quality Entertainment 10:48 AM - 3 August, 2011
MBA here. Working full time with an hour and a half commute each way. Mobilegigs on the weekend.
Like others said, its all about managing your time well and it can be done. Its not easy and sometimes you feel like quitting everything but jts worth it in the end.
deejayosa 12:02 PM - 3 August, 2011
Quote:
Damn yall I keep hearing all this about you should stay in school but that shit aint interesting to me. I know my brain gets rusty for school after just a summer break. But I keep my brain sharp reading and such anyway. I love studying psychology, I'm just not a school person cuz I don't like the way it works. I learn by doing, learning by hearing and by visual has gone out the window for me years ago. So for now I'm just taking interesting classes back home at community college.

Going to college actually ruined my confidence and dreams. Got depressed out there, lost sight of my music, went from straight As to straight Fs lol, everything! So now I'm just loving being back home and getting my love and confidence back. Hopefully it was just the college town and I'll bounce back and do school too, cuz I was doing school and music back in HS and did it well enough to get to a university, but I wasn't working for money to pay bills either.

I am a very hands on type of dude too. Learning has to be active for me.
deejayosa 12:02 PM - 3 August, 2011
I am starting to see that time management is key****
DJYoshi 1:42 PM - 3 August, 2011
comp sci. math major
music minor

don't underestimate your degree and education.... figure out a way to use what you learned and apply it to the everyday deals you encounter....
Tunecrew 3:49 PM - 3 August, 2011
i've got a Masters in Electrical Engineering + 2 years of an unfinished PhD... stopped in 2000 after a LOT of school
deejayosa 4:27 PM - 3 August, 2011
This is some pretty good feedback guys. Thanx a lot.
DJJorel 4:34 PM - 3 August, 2011
I have an MBA...I am a Network Administrator for an aviation company...

I once loved computers until it became a career. I now hate computers. I never wanted that to happen to DJing, so I always kept it at a level to where it would stay fun and never become a grind.

I had to make the decision as time was a commodity. It's paid off because I don't rely on DJing for income. And DJing is still a lot of fun for me.
deejayosa 4:39 PM - 3 August, 2011
Quote:
I have an MBA...I am a Network Administrator for an aviation company...

I once loved computers until it became a career. I now hate computers. I never wanted that to happen to DJing, so I always kept it at a level to where it would stay fun and never become a grind.

I had to make the decision as time was a commodity. It's paid off because I don't rely on DJing for income. And DJing is still a lot of fun for me.

good thinking.
Serato
dave 2:37 AM - 4 August, 2011
I left my masters to start a job at a little software company called Serato.
DVDjHardy 3:04 AM - 4 August, 2011
Eastern Michigan University (MS, Health Economics, 2008)
University of Michigan (MS, Applied Statistics, 2006)
Eastern Michigan University (BS, Actuarial Science and Economics, 2004)

I work full-time in the healthcare industry and have DJ'd 3-4 nights a week since at least 2005. Last full weekend off from DJing was in December 2005, but it never feels like I'm working because I'd do it for free if nobody paid me. Last couple of years I've been involved in the stock market and probably going to get a series 63 license in the near future. Like everyone else has said, just make the best of the time you have on your hands.

@deejayosa, what is your area of interest? If you have any doubts about it, I would suggest trying to get out and make some money before you go to grad school. It is a lot more work than undergrad for most programs, and it's not nearly as much fun.

@dave, good call. lol
El_MaUri 4:15 AM - 4 August, 2011
UCSD - B.A., Urban Studies and Planning

Waiting now to see what really sparks my interest before I dive pockets first into Grad School... shit is expensiiiiveee.
jevo9 4:49 AM - 4 August, 2011
AS in science.... wish i could keep going but no time with a baby on the way.
a DJ 5:51 AM - 4 August, 2011
What is time management? I'm great at fitting everything in the day when I have something specific to do. I just feel like I can never fit everything in. I wanna work, DJ, engineer/produce, learn spanish, go to the gym, and still be a young dude hangin out or partying sometimes, not to mention ladies. I'm OK at fitting all those in, but adding school is a problem because I just don't see the use of it. I don't see myself getting a job for the rest of my life, or using a degree other than the knowledge. I just see myself making a lot of money owning my own businesses and assets. My mental reward system is just not activated even if I like what I'm studying. I like to learn just to learn and use what I learn. I could give a fuck about writing papers, tests, and grades. You may say writing papers is using it, but I don't feel like it is cuz it's too restricted. Getting a good grade does nothing for me, especially compared to giving the crowd a great night when I DJ, or working on making music. Getting a bad grade makes me feel slightly dumb, but not too much, since I know I'm not. I guess since I went to college I went from valuing school to completely not valuing it. Straight As to straight Fs. I'm constantly learning without school anyway, so fuck it. And I like reading books, that's the funny part lol
DJ/VJ Graham 3:31 PM - 4 August, 2011
Associate of Science Degree 1999
Bachelor of Science/Biology 2000
Doctor of medicine 2008
Will Finish Psychiatry Residency in June 2012

Deejaying in clubs since 1993
Current Saturday Night residency since 2001 at www.platinumbham.com use DVJ 1000's/SSL/ME in the club but use Tech 1210 MK5G's/SSL/ME at home

Hope to open my own clinic next year
DJ/VJ Graham 3:32 PM - 4 August, 2011
Forgot to add...most importantly, I have a 7 year old daughter
philldafunk 3:46 PM - 4 August, 2011
Still wrestling with the thought of pursuing a masters. I just finished undergrad w/ a BFA (Masss Comm Electronic Media) Spring 2011
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:49 PM - 4 August, 2011
I have my undergrad from university of mississippi in information systems, half an MBA from tulane before the city went under water then i said fuck it
DJRemix8x3 4:27 PM - 4 August, 2011
My advise is get it while you are young. I did it backwards partied/DJayed now I am in my 40's graduating next fall, but late than never.

DJRemix
deejayosa 9:53 PM - 4 August, 2011
Quote:
What is time management? I'm great at fitting everything in the day when I have something specific to do. I just feel like I can never fit everything in. I wanna work, DJ, engineer/produce, learn spanish, go to the gym, and still be a young dude hangin out or partying sometimes, not to mention ladies. I'm OK at fitting all those in, but adding school is a problem because I just don't see the use of it. I don't see myself getting a job for the rest of my life, or using a degree other than the knowledge. I just see myself making a lot of money owning my own businesses and assets. My mental reward system is just not activated even if I like what I'm studying. I like to learn just to learn and use what I learn. I could give a fuck about writing papers, tests, and grades. You may say writing papers is using it, but I don't feel like it is cuz it's too restricted. Getting a good grade does nothing for me, especially compared to giving the crowd a great night when I DJ, or working on making music. Getting a bad grade makes me feel slightly dumb, but not too much, since I know I'm not. I guess since I went to college I went from valuing school to completely not valuing it. Straight As to straight Fs. I'm constantly learning without school anyway, so fuck it. And I like reading books, that's the funny part lol

Yea, we are on the same wavelength or something dude. I can appreciate learning and gaining more knowledge and applying it, but everything else such as grades and what not really isn't that important to me. I mean don't get me wrong I wouldn't say I have a bad GPA; I believe it is better than what it was before (misguided freshman). But I feel like school takes up life. Can I live?

In regards to DVDjHardy question. I am currently a history major. My interests lie with post-modern America. Topics like the urban crisis and the "underclass" debate really ignite me. The thing is I don't want to just go stay in academia for the rest of my life. I don't want to teach in a lecture hall about these topics all my life. I actually wanna do something about social issues in our society. I rather do much more than just write books. I love documentaries and films that make you go "Oh shit!"Maybe get involved in the communities and different groups.
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:26 PM - 4 August, 2011
Quote:

But I feel like school takes up life. Can I live?

school really dosent take up that much time

Quote:

In regards to DVDjHardy question. I am currently a history major.

and what EXACTLY do you want to do with that degree if you dont want to teach history??

Quote:

. I actually wanna do something about social issues in our society. I rather do much more than just write books.

media.comicvine.com
jevo9 6:42 AM - 5 August, 2011
Quote:
Associate of Science Degree 1999
Bachelor of Science/Biology 2000
Doctor of medicine 2008
Will Finish Psychiatry Residency in June 2012

Deejaying in clubs since 1993
Current Saturday Night residency since 2001 at www.platinumbham.com use DVJ 1000's/SSL/ME in the club but use Tech 1210 MK5G's/SSL/ME at home

Hope to open my own clinic next year

props!!! great job
deejayosa 3:50 PM - 5 August, 2011
Lots to think about here.
Big Phyll 7:34 PM - 5 August, 2011
Bachelors: Sociology major, African-American Studies minor, 1998
Masters: Education (social justice concentration), 2002

I taught middle school history/social studies for a couple years. I've been DJing since 1988. Full-time DJ since 2007.
dj_soo 9:57 PM - 5 August, 2011
you guys all win. I didn't start getting into djing till after i got my bachelors. Considered going into graduate studies for a while but it just feels like it's too late now...
DJ Dac 10:16 PM - 5 August, 2011
well better get on it before your going to start paying way more for a non gov student loan...
dj_JM 3:14 AM - 6 August, 2011
Masters Degree in Computer Science. The toughest part was managing the commute between work, school and home.
PumpkinHead 10:49 AM - 8 August, 2011
I didn't start DJing until after my Law degree. The benefits of my degree meant that I got a very well paying job very easily. Buying DJ equipment was a piece of cake. Not having to worry about my income provided me with more time to DJ. I spent 3yrs working before applying for a Masters, which I think will benefit me a lot more, because now I have a better understanding of what I want to do.
I am now enrolled in a Masters in Creative Business Processes which I can incorporate with my DJing. I'm really look forward to starting next month.

@a DJ - I struggled in school and with the teaching styles, but didn't give up. I realised which teaching styles I responded to the most, and did a lot of research to find a school that would be a good match for me. Not all schools are the same sometimes you might have to travel far to get a good school, plus a new environment is all part of the learning experience.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:36 PM - 8 August, 2011
This isn't going to end well for you...
deejayosa 2:40 AM - 10 August, 2011
me?
dj_KaSE 3:16 AM - 10 August, 2011
Deleted post. Nice.
Serato
dave 3:22 AM - 10 August, 2011
Yeah, spam, gone now.
aLiEn 3:44 AM - 10 August, 2011
B.A. in Geography/Environmental Studies. I have been working professionally in the GIS mapping industry for 15 years. I've been djn’ since 1991. It is a hobby, but I've always held a residency or presence in the scene.
DjFiasCo 7:38 AM - 10 August, 2011
Master in Computer Science. Behind the desk during the day, behind the decks during night... sleep while I'm dead...
2Seven 7:56 AM - 10 August, 2011
Quote:
B.A. in Geography/Environmental Studies. I have been working professionally in the GIS mapping industry for 15 years. I've been djn’ since 1991. It is a hobby, but I've always held a residency or presence in the scene.

Yo that's the field I wanted to get into when I graduated (Human Geogaphy BSc), but there were NO jobs around in the UK 3 years ago. 3 years and 2 jobs later....and I'm about to start teaching high scool geography!
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:52 PM - 10 August, 2011
Quote:
....and I'm about to start teaching high scool geography!

before teaching high scool geography you may want to look into taking elementary scool spelling...those poor kids lol
2Seven 2:01 PM - 10 August, 2011
That's why I'm going to teach Geography Bezzle, colouring in...no spelling needed. And before you tell me I've spelt colour wrong...I'm in the UK!
deejayosa 4:50 PM - 10 August, 2011
Honestly I don't wanna go to grad school not because I hate school or anything like that. I just really haven't found myself. I feel like grad school is for those who have that mentality- "I know what it is that I wanna do and this is how I'm gonna go about it." Don't want to invest more time in school and then regret my decisions.
dj_KaSE 10:52 PM - 10 August, 2011
you have a point. you'll pro ably gain the most from grad school if you know what you want to do.
DJJorel 10:56 PM - 10 August, 2011
The real trick is to find a job that will pay you to get your post-grad degree...

That is one of the reasons why it imight be a good idea to find a job first...a lot of companies don't really advertise their tuition reimbursement or educational assistance programs to the employees...
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:17 PM - 10 August, 2011
Quote:
The real trick is to find a job that will pay you to get your post-grad degree...

That is one of the reasons why it imight be a good idea to find a job first...a lot of companies don't really advertise their tuition reimbursement or educational assistance programs to the employees...

also most post grad degree programs perfer people with real world work experience

Persoanlly i want to finish up on my MBA but that may lead to me getting a job that would require me to do something other than chat on here all day
DJJorel 11:20 PM - 10 August, 2011
I have an MBA...and I have more responsibility...but now I get to delegate...so it's actually a lot less work...

But by no means am I on here as much as Mr. M.Bezzle....
deejayosa 12:45 AM - 11 August, 2011
Yeah I was thinking about getting some real work experience first. I might actually find my true calling in the process . Besides you can't lose with tuition reimbursement/educational assistance.

How was your MBA experience if you don't mind me asking? That is a program that has interested me.

And yeah I do see M.Bezzle's name stamped everywhere, not that there is anything wrong with that.
DJJorel 2:32 AM - 11 August, 2011
In all honesty, I should've chosen an emphasis...MBAs, especially in Los Angeles, are very diluted...

I actually enjoyed the experience a lot. I was under some pressure to finish a post-grad program. I am actually the last one out of my cousins to get a post-grad degree (I am the youngest out of my 20+ cousins). It was going to be either law or business, and I felt that business would fit my IT background a lot better. What did I learn? Honestly, probably not much more than you can learn in the real world without going to school, but I now have a paper that proves that I did learn it...

I'm not sure if it did or not, but I like to think that having that MBA on my resume did help me land my current job. In a competitive job market, every little extra bit helps.
DJ TAKES NO REQUESTS 5:02 AM - 11 August, 2011
i got two Master's degrees and use ding to help me pay for these fuckin' loans. and i work full time.
deejayosa 5:43 AM - 11 August, 2011
::Gulp:: Yeah, loans. I have plenty of those.
DJJorel 5:44 AM - 11 August, 2011
Quote:
::Gulp:: Yeah, loans. I have plenty of those.

Yeah...tuition reimbursement can be a lifesaver!
RogerRabbit 12:11 PM - 11 August, 2011
I only have a B.A, but earning a Masters degree and having to work every weekend as a dj is disconcerting thought to me...
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:22 PM - 11 August, 2011
Quote:
having to work every weekend as a dj is disconcerting thought to me...

i have a feeling thats not an issue youll have to put much thought into LOL
deejayosa 12:06 AM - 13 August, 2011
Just got my tuition bill. That shit is crazy wild.
DJCalibur 7:35 PM - 27 August, 2011
Quote:
Just got my tuition bill. That shit is crazy wild.

You need to get graduate assitantship - get that tuition paid for and that monthly stipend! I loved my grad assistantship. I had teach classes and keep office hours, but most of the time the undergrads didn't ask for help during my office hours, so I'd spend the time either studying, doing research or writing my thesis. After that, I'd go to my apartment kick back, chill, drink a couple beers, hop on the decks and then prepare to go out for the evening. I found that grad school was way easier than undergrad as you studied what you were interested in, and didn't have to torture youself thorough bs gen ed classes.
lunizus 10:51 PM - 27 August, 2011
I have a Bachelors in Education and in the process of getting my Masters in H.S. Counseling
Swizzle 11:33 PM - 27 August, 2011
Some wonderful and insightful people on the board. Keep achieving all of your goals!
I've returned to school for my MS in Information Management.

I remember in my old undergrad days in late 90's early 00's hiring DJ Fashen to do our Fraternity/Sorority parties located in sweaty YMCA's and Boys & Girls Clubs.

It's great to see that one can accomplish their goals through education or DJ/music.
dj_KaSE 4:48 AM - 30 August, 2011
I got a stipend for my second year in grad school and I'm so thankful I didn't have to take out tons of loans.
reggae delgado 5:08 AM - 30 August, 2011
Quote:
Honestly I don't wanna go to grad school not because I hate school or anything like that. I just really haven't found myself. I feel like grad school is for those who have that mentality- "I know what it is that I wanna do and this is how I'm gonna go about it." Don't want to invest more time in school and then regret my decisions.

Wow, I always thought grad school was for people of the opposite mentality...

I was raised to think you'll never regret education, even if you don't use it directly each day.

And if people in my daytime line of work ever think I'm just half assing it cause I'm also a DJ, they can kiss my master's degree. And the pay raise that comes with it.
deejayosa 4:08 PM - 30 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

I was raised to think you'll never regret education, even if you don't use it directly each day.

And if people in my daytime line of work ever think I'm just half assing it cause I'm also a DJ, they can kiss my master's degree. And the pay raise that comes with it.

I see where you are coming from. Hmm in my family, I am the first to go to college. I come from an immigrant family and I'm first generation born in the United States. Most of the males always just got involved in the trades and I'm the first to attend college. My parents didn't even graduate elementary school because their hometown, along with their schools were destroyed in a hurricane. It took a while to rebuild.

My parents are proud that I'm in college, but at the same time when they ask what is it that I'm going to do, I honestly can't tell them a straight answer because I just don't know. I'm a history major and all they ask if what in the world am I going to do with that.

The reason why I have that certain mentality about grad school is because once you are in a grad program there is no switching majors like the undergrad setting. I mean unless you want to start all over and take out some more loans. I feel that you have to be certain that it is the field of study that you want to invest in.

Maybe I'm just a confused person, but at the end of the day I tell myself life is all about trial and error. I'll be graduating undergraduate soon so I don't think I'm on the wrong path for now.
Boutique Sound 4:38 PM - 6 September, 2011
Damn, alot of accomplished people here!

UCSD BS and MS Molecular Biology 1997
USD School of Law 2000
Patent Bar 2000

I write patent applications and DJ weddings on the side

First set of 1200's in 1986

If I had to do it over again I would have studied music production and multimedia, which is what I'm learning now ... writing patents is lucrative but very boring!
reggae delgado 8:58 PM - 6 September, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I see where you are coming from. Hmm in my family, I am the first to go to college. I come from an immigrant family and I'm first generation born in the United States. Most of the males always just got involved in the trades and I'm the first to attend college. My parents didn't even graduate elementary school because their hometown, along with their schools were destroyed in a hurricane. It took a while to rebuild.

My parents are proud that I'm in college, but at the same time when they ask what is it that I'm going to do, I honestly can't tell them a straight answer because I just don't know. I'm a history major and all they ask if what in the world am I going to do with that.

The reason why I have that certain mentality about grad school is because once you are in a grad program there is no switching majors like the undergrad setting. I mean unless you want to start all over and take out some more loans. I feel that you have to be certain that it is the field of study that you want to invest in.

Maybe I'm just a confused person, but at the end of the day I tell myself life is all about trial and error. I'll be graduating undergraduate soon so I don't think I'm on the wrong path for now.

Nice work! Congratulations, it is really tough to navigate the college process without a bunch of family help.

In 2011, I don't think that it matter what you major in... especially if you major in a liberal arts field or a "soft science," the reality is that there are not really jobs as professional historians or sociologists unless you get a phd also. However, it is the type of thinking and the commitment that come with graduating that makes it important—I know 75% of my applicants have majors in those fields, I'll hire the one that can tell me what they learned about THINKING and how they'd apply their thoughts to our setting. That doesn't exactly calm most parents, though.
Beyond that, grad school is (ideally) for people who know what they want to do... but there are very few programs full of people like that. Certain programs are very career specific, but most are geared towards who ever is willing to pay— for example, one of the hardest to get into are MFA programs, but the reality is that only 10% of those folks will truly make a living through art, most are just white kids with money who don't like the idea of getting a job that isn't their passion and have the privilege of putting it off for a few years. Most other fields don't even offer a master's as it is just a stepping stone to a phd, which is the only way to "go pro" in many fields. Then again in some "hard" science fields, a BS is all that anyone looks for.
DJ Reflex 2:29 AM - 27 September, 2011
Got a degree in Elementary Education (I teach middle school science) and half a masters... Still love to jam on the 1200's though!
DJ KEL-WIN! 3:05 AM - 27 September, 2011
I have a Masters in Urban Planning. Took about 10 years off from DJ-ing to go to school and travel but picked the fader back up in `07.
rlsduck 2:55 AM - 10 February, 2014
I started DJing in 1999 when I was a freshman. Since then I have went on to get two masters degrees and a project management certification. I am married with two kids and I DJ pretty consistently.
yowordiagree 2:39 PM - 10 February, 2014
About to complete a ba in youth work (in the uk so don't know if u guys have something similar in the us). Been spinning since 97 an I do dj an sometimes production workshops for kids. Since the cuts though rather than getting paid from other agencies it's become a lot more project based an I now try an acess community funds so that I can get payed a bit an I can still provide the sessions for the kids basically for free.
Got a lil boy he's 2 an a half an I'm still with his mum but she is quite ill at the moment so the flexibility of placement hours makes It a lot easier to juggle everything. I only play out occasionally these days but I'm quite happy with that for now. I only started the ba so I could get more work but I have made so many links whilst on my course an one of my lecturers recently asked me if I wanted a job working with him when I finish depending on my girls health.
VJ Justin Allen 4:52 PM - 10 February, 2014
I'll finish my Masters in Nursing Informatics in a few months. Been an ER nurse for years.
Bumpy Jonas 8:38 PM - 10 February, 2014
MS Human Resource Management - Long Island University (Brooklyn)
MBA Management - St Joseph College
Professional Certification in Industrial Labor Relations -Cornell University

Djing off and on since 1990's but after ungrad had to go back to school and make something of my self with a wife and kids, djing was placed on the shelf. While it was tough working full time and going to grad school it was a rewarding experience and has paid offer me career wise.
ozfrombk 8:59 PM - 10 February, 2014
This is a good thread.

What if you're just not sure about what you want to do?
I don't personally have anything against school, I'm just against going back to pursue a grad program without any real purpose.

I'm not sitting at home on my ass either. I'm currently trying to explore different fields and seeing whether they are fields I would like to grow in. Currently I'm at a law firm and at one point in undergrad I thought I would be going to law school but that's out the question now. I get to see what being a lawyer really is all about, and let's just say it isn't what you see on Law and Order.

Twenty-four years old and I still can't answer that question of "what do you want to be when you grow up?"
ozfrombk 1:06 AM - 11 February, 2014
Any advice?
DJ DisGrace 1:19 AM - 11 February, 2014
Quote:
Any advice?

Take your time and make sure you do what you love.

I went back for a Master's for no particular reason. Then I worked a few years in various industries. Now I'm back in school again in my mid 30s to do what I should have done from the very start. You're still young!
ozfrombk 2:33 PM - 11 February, 2014
@DJ DisGrace

Thanks man. I appreciate the words.
dj_KaSE 7:38 PM - 2 March, 2014
Quote:
Any advice?

You can always volunteer or intern in another field to get a glimpse of what it's like. I believe there are tools online that help you gauge what career fits you. It doesn't hurt to look at which careers are in demand and which ones are in decline.

My job can be difficult. However, the pros outweigh the cons.
M.Mal 8:21 PM - 21 May, 2014
Quote:
Any advice?

oz i was in the same boat as you.

BA in Political Science and was on my way to law school when I took a job at a law firm in Manhattan and was scared straight outta law.

Everything I studied, my entire resume was geared towards law and i felt pretty lost. So, I went this route: Started my own DJ business with the money I had saved through working at the firm because it was a passion that I wasn't going to just keep as a hobby.

From there, I was just accepted to business school and will be starting in August, going to go get my MBA (relatively broad) which will give me a higher salary during the week but most importantly it will give me necessary knowledge on how to run a successful business. One day i'll be able to quit that day job and solely work on the DJ business. I look at it as killing 2 birds with one stone.

Starting in August ill be working full time at the law firm, taking classes at night and DJing on the weekends.

Now, I am not saying that the only way you can run a successful DJ business, or any business, is by getting an MBA because I know they're are plenty of guys on here that have done without it, but it can't hurt. I am in your age range and it would be difficult to not have a day job. So, I think it's just finding an area that you feel strong or passionate in, researching it from every angle, have somewhat of a plan (never goes as planned) and then jump in.

Im the first male in my family name to graduate college and i am always reminded this: Nobody can take away your education and they're aren't many people who look back and say, " Damn, I wish I didn't get that education."
ozfrombk 2:24 AM - 22 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Any advice?

oz i was in the same boat as you.

BA in Political Science and was on my way to law school when I took a job at a law firm in Manhattan and was scared straight outta law.

Everything I studied, my entire resume was geared towards law and i felt pretty lost. So, I went this route: Started my own DJ business with the money I had saved through working at the firm because it was a passion that I wasn't going to just keep as a hobby.

From there, I was just accepted to business school and will be starting in August, going to go get my MBA (relatively broad) which will give me a higher salary during the week but most importantly it will give me necessary knowledge on how to run a successful business. One day i'll be able to quit that day job and solely work on the DJ business. I look at it as killing 2 birds with one stone.

Starting in August ill be working full time at the law firm, taking classes at night and DJing on the weekends.

Now, I am not saying that the only way you can run a successful DJ business, or any business, is by getting an MBA because I know they're are plenty of guys on here that have done without it, but it can't hurt. I am in your age range and it would be difficult to not have a day job. So, I think it's just finding an area that you feel strong or passionate in, researching it from every angle, have somewhat of a plan (never goes as planned) and then jump in.

Im the first male in my family name to graduate college and i am always reminded this: Nobody can take away your education and they're aren't many people who look back and say, " Damn, I wish I didn't get that education."

Thanks for the advice man. Now that I have looked back on all the jobs I've ever had, I really just liked jobs where I was busy working with my hands. From construction, landscaping and even cooking. But those werel all part time jobs to pay for my college education. After I left college I felt people who I looked up to in my life pressuring me to get a "real" job and to basically prove my degree was worth it.

I'm still at the law firm and I ABSOLUTELY hate it. Office culture just isn't for me man. The only problem is what now?

::sigh::
southernplayalisticaddilacmuzik 5:09 AM - 22 May, 2014
I'm late on this post but good stuff. I have a Bachelors in business administration, which I use to run a wedding DJ business. No job to drive to any more, no cubicle, no office...other than my home office. I make 6 figures after expenses which I never made working a regular whack ass
8-5. The biggest downfall is missing some family get togethers on the weekend but when I'm depositing $6k from 1 weekend's work, I count my blessings and I more than make up that lost time during the week. I seriously wonder if it's worth paying a college education for my kids or instead teach them how to run a wedding DJ business. Whatever they want to do I'll be cool with as long as they do something they have a passion for.
M.Mal 12:36 PM - 22 May, 2014
Thanks for the advice man. Now that I have looked back on all the jobs I've ever had, I really just liked jobs where I was busy working with my hands. From construction, landscaping and even cooking. But those werel all part time jobs to pay for my college education. After I left college I felt people who I looked up to in my life pressuring me to get a "real" job and to basically prove my degree was worth it.

I'm still at the law firm and I ABSOLUTELY hate it. Office culture just isn't for me man. The only problem is what now?

Well have you thought of a civil servants job? Sounds like you could do well there. Firefighters and Police are well respected jobs that pay pretty well and provide long term security. Not to mention your degree will help you climb the ranks.

My Dad was FDNY for 30 years (so im biased) and was able to do construction on the side as well as truck driving since he had his CDL for driving the fire truck. Not to mention your cooking abilities would definitely be put to good use!

It seems like you have a lot of pressure to have the conventional 9-5 but at the end of the day its you sitting at that desk for 40 hours a week (and train for 10 hours in my case.) So look for something that better fits your needs and go with your gut.
ozfrombk 4:59 PM - 22 May, 2014
Quote:

Well have you thought of a civil servants job? Sounds like you could do well there. Firefighters and Police are well respected jobs that pay pretty well and provide long term security. Not to mention your degree will help you climb the ranks.

My Dad was FDNY for 30 years (so im biased) and was able to do construction on the side as well as truck driving since he had his CDL for driving the fire truck. Not to mention your cooking abilities would definitely be put to good use!

It seems like you have a lot of pressure to have the conventional 9-5 but at the end of the day its you sitting at that desk for 40 hours a week (and train for 10 hours in my case.) So look for something that better fits your needs and go with your gut.

Yeah my gut is telling me to get the fuck out! I'm def looking for a job at the moment. The only good thing I can say about the career right now is that at least I know what I don't want to do. I would love to just up and quit but living in NYC at the moment means not having any type of savings which is a whole different story in itself. Hopefully I'll be able to find something. I def feel like a blue collar type of person and I'm just not going to fare well in an office environment.
DJ Dac 2:30 AM - 23 May, 2014
Make the jump! I quit my comfy office job last month and moved cross country to start over again with the family. I absolutely hated sitting in a cube all day, and when we made the decision to quit and move it was a whole new me. I even lost 15 lbs from lack of stress. Now I'm in the process to get my dj business back in swing and looking for something else as the main source of income that doesn't involve an office. Remember, YOLO!!!! on your death bed your going to look back and hate yourself for not moving on sooner.

And yes I through a yolo in there...
 6 3:40 AM - 23 May, 2014
It is my wish that my death bed has at least 5 girls on it. lol

nm
eugguy 8:38 AM - 23 May, 2014
Quote:
It is my wish that my death bed has at least 5 girls on it. lol

nm

Too bad they will only get into bed with guys who have graduate degrees.
Ollieboy 6:54 PM - 24 October, 2019
Do what best suits you in your position. I have a nursing degree and a bachelors in business. I dj often but not every week so I have to keep the income going plus you're going to need medical benefits that a 40hr / week job offers. The PD of Power 106 has a Marketing Degree which helped him land his job inside the radio station aside from just being an on air dj. Melo from the Beat Junkies has a degree in Sociology from a prestigious University in So. Cal. Look long term but do what best suits your current position.
AlfredDixon 1:08 PM - 23 January, 2020
These days, graduate degrees are almost never worth it. The conventional wisdom holds exactly the opposite point of view, which has inflated the size of graduate programs and consequently cheapened the value of degrees because so many people have them.

cheapessaywriter.co.uk
RonDu 10:41 PM - 29 January, 2020
My company has a call center and there are quite a few people with bachelors and a few with Masters. The over saturation of degree holding people has kind of lessened its' value. Jobs where you only needed a Bachelor's 15 years ago are now requiring Master's with x amount of years experience. It's crazy. If I go back to school it will be to become an auto-mechanic. Seriously.
DJ Reflex 3:04 AM - 3 February, 2020
^^ On the last two posts ^^

A lot of my friends in the teaching profession ask why I never finished my master's degree. I always reply with the same question... "How many years will it take you to pay off that student loan?" I am debt free with multiple incomes. Most of them are one paycheck away from the bread line.
Aside from that, the education system is way too liberal for my tastes. I spent the last 2 years of my graduate classes arguing with "know-nothing" professors about how my job actually works in the real world. The crap they propose these days is ridiculous! It's no wonder we're headed down the toilet.
GabrielSanderson 11:57 AM - 13 March, 2020
Personally, my diploma is not related to music, I have a degree in finances since I wanted to get a good education. I even worked at www.aresearchguide.com for some time. Then I realized that I want to make music. I will say that you need to study in college only when you are sure that you will use your degree. Or it's just a waste of time.
MannyDDj 10:30 AM - 27 March, 2020
I prefer to use the services of proven writing services. I have ordered myself research papers on the papersowl.com service repeatedly. I`m very pleased with the result. I have been looking for research papers for sale for a long time and I was lucky to find this site. In addition, Papersowl has a huge number of positive reviews on the Internet. It’s better to use the services of trusted sites.