DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

MacBook Air

inpham dj 3:24 AM - 28 July, 2011
Product: scratchlive
Version: 2.2
Hardware: scratchlive-sl2
Computer: mac
OS Version: 10.6.8
---

Is it possible to run Scratch Live on the newest (mid-2011) version of the MacBook Air running a dual-core Intel Core i7 at 1.8 GHz (memory of 4GB of 1333MHz) with 256 Go de stockage flash?

I personally own Rane SL2 but would like to make sure the MacBook Air could also run Scratch Live on a Rane SL 3 or 4.

Thanks in advance
Rane, Support
Chad S. 4:15 PM - 28 July, 2011
Email reply has been sent ;)
inpham dj 4:27 PM - 28 July, 2011
Thanks Chad. I am leaving this discussion open in case others would like to share their experience with running SL on the latest (2011) MacBook Air.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 4:33 PM - 28 July, 2011
Then I will move it to the dj discussion forum ;)
4:34 PM, 28 Jul 2011
Discussion moved to DJing Discussion
Caley Martin 5:25 PM - 28 July, 2011
the bare minimum for SSL 2.0 is a 2.0 GHz Core Duo processor, which is over 5 years old now... the new Core i5 and i7 based MacBook Air should run it like a dream! I tested SSL 2.2 on a Late 2010 11" MacBook Air with 1.4 GHz Core 2 Duo... it ran beautifully. So given that, I'd say you're good to go with the SL2 or 3 or 4.
inpham dj 1:18 PM - 29 July, 2011
Cheers Caley!
Jarednz 12:10 PM - 6 August, 2011
What about for running the ttm57? I would really love to be able to buy the new macbook air but i too am worried about how it would run with my ttm57. Thanks.
dogtoy 12:18 PM - 6 August, 2011
I would like to hear about it to. Im getting mine next week.
Jarednz 11:19 PM - 6 August, 2011
Your getting the macbook air next week? Is it to run the ttm57? Please post up how it goes!
sacrilicious 2:52 AM - 7 August, 2011
My girlfriend's Air should arrive tomorrow or Monday; I'll let you guys know how it handles everything but from the specs it looks like it'll be a champ.
Laz219 11:32 AM - 7 August, 2011
Seems like a 13" MBP would more be the way to go now.

But the Air should work fine.
Serato
adrian w 12:08 PM - 7 August, 2011
I've used my Air - an October 2010 model - with Scratch Live and ITCH, and had no problems. Gave Video-SL a go and noticed a slight dip in performance but for the most part, spot on. Have used the SL1, SL2, SL3, 57, 68 and a few different ITCH controllers. I've only got 2GB of RAM so imagine the 4GB would be great.
sacrilicious 5:46 PM - 7 August, 2011
Quote:
Seems like a 13" MBP would more be the way to go now.

But the Air should work fine.

Agreed--2 USB ports vs 1 and the ultraportability of the 11" is offset by the other gear you need to carry anyway.
Phill B 5:51 PM - 7 August, 2011
The Macbook Airs have 2 USB ports as well, one on each side
sacrilicious 6:15 PM - 7 August, 2011
^ oh? Was pretty sure the new 11" has one USB and one Thunderbolt.
Phill B 6:19 PM - 7 August, 2011
www.apple.com

Down in the connections section, it looks like there's two. The thunderbolt port replaces the Mini Display port
sacrilicious 6:31 PM - 7 August, 2011
You're absolutely right (and I'm glad, as one would be insufficient for most of what I do)
Jarednz 8:51 AM - 9 August, 2011
It still would be good to know how the new processor in the newest models work with the usb 1.1 of SL1 and the ttm57...
dogtoy 3:16 PM - 9 August, 2011
I will report back on the sl1 when i get mine this week...
Serato
adrian w 8:57 PM - 9 August, 2011
Quote:
It still would be good to know how the new processor in the newest models work with the usb 1.1 of SL1 and the ttm57...

Have used both with my Air without any problems. I'm not a heavy user of either of these specifically any more but have clocked up a few dozen hours on each.
Jarednz 1:44 AM - 10 August, 2011
Thanks Adrian but you air has the duo core does it not?
Serato
adrian w 2:02 AM - 10 August, 2011
Quote:
Thanks Adrian but you air has the duo core does it not?

Apologies, yeah it is. I was brushing over the thread a little quick.
Jarednz 7:08 AM - 16 August, 2011
any updates guys?
dogtoy 1:51 PM - 16 August, 2011
just synced my itunes to my macbook air. Setting up the turntables now. Will return later :)
dogtoy 2:58 PM - 16 August, 2011
working fine. Have to gigs in the weekend - will report back sunday if im not to hangover
victor_M 4:47 PM - 16 August, 2011
I've used the late 2010 model (13inch) with no issue. having the SSD card helps alot. I'm actually rocking it friday and Saturday
Jarednz 3:35 AM - 17 August, 2011
Thanks dogtoy, good to hear that it is working now i just need to save some more to get it!
djkurve 10:47 AM - 17 August, 2011
Don't the new MBP's come stock with OSX Lion? Which correct me if I'm wrong, but Serato Scratch Live doesn't run on OSX Lion from what I've heard/read.
Phill B 12:10 AM - 18 August, 2011
Quote:
Don't the new MBP's come stock with OSX Lion? Which correct me if I'm wrong, but Serato Scratch Live doesn't run on OSX Lion from what I've heard/read.

I've been running SSL on Lion since its release and haven't encountered any problems yet.
djkurve 1:31 PM - 20 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

I've been running SSL on Lion since its release and haven't encountered any problems yet.

Ummmm you need to let me and everyone else know your secret!!

serato.com

We have been testing Scratch Live with the beta versions of Mac OS X Lion and have encountered some issues (see below). As such, we will not be supporting Mac OS X Lion at the time of it's release. The latest supported version of Mac OS X is 10.6.8.

We are working on these issues and will introduce Mac OS X Lion support in a future release of Scratch Live.

If you choose to update to Mac OS X Lion and do run into issues other than the ones listed below, please start a new help request.

Known Issues:

* Rane hardware core audio drivers do not install.
* Hanging/GUI not updating after computer goes to sleep.
* Possible crashing when using the Relocate Lost Files function.
Phill B 9:03 PM - 20 August, 2011
I know that those issues exist but I haven't actually encountered them yet, and they're avoidable if you take a few precautions. But at least one of them is fixed I think:

-The new SSL 2.3 Core Audio drivers seem to have installed just fine, since I used my SL 3 as a soundcard in logic
-Just don't let your computer go to sleep, set it to never sleep in System Prefs when you're plugged into a power source or using SL
-I haven't used relocate lost files ever, so I don't know

There of course might be other unknown things out there but my experience with Lion has been excellent with regards to using SSL.
djkurve 5:54 AM - 25 August, 2011
Thanks for the tips Phill. Personally, I'm going to stick with Snow Leopard till Lion works out all it's kinks.
Jarednz 9:54 AM - 8 November, 2011
Just a wee update on this thread guys, I just had my first mix using a new 2011, 13 inch macbook air with 128g SSD, 4 gig ram, running lion and the 1.7 i5 processor, with the TTM57!!

Wow it was a wonderful experience, i ran the buffer settings at the best, audio cach etc at the best, was reading my music off a USB, whilst recording the mix and using the effects plus obviously the 2 turntables and had not one glitch or stutter or anything so i feel that was a pretty good workout and it was flawless.

Now i need to just buy my own one :(
Jarednz 9:57 AM - 8 November, 2011
P.S. I thought the sound, sounded better aswell. Was this just my imagination? I usually use a crappy acer with an AMD chip (which serato has known issues with) and have to have my settings on the low side or i get USB dropouts all the time.... So that was my first mix on a mac... could it really sound better?
DJ P Dot 3:43 PM - 8 November, 2011
thats just your ears
Caley Martin 11:22 PM - 8 November, 2011
mmmmmmmmmm the Sandy Bridge Core i7™ difference!
babooza69 12:52 AM - 9 November, 2011
all i know is DJ Vice (one of the best in the world...) uses an air
djdannyd 1:13 AM - 9 November, 2011
vice!?!!? no way! I'm buying one TODAY!

Have a read here: www.pcworld.com
Serato
adrian w 1:29 AM - 9 November, 2011
Quote:
Have a read here: www.pcworld.com

Bearing in mind though, that's the 2010 version - although I have that and haven't had any performance problems across the board. It handles Photoshop and similar applications surprisingly well. And the 2011 Air's have an even better processor.

I personally don't think the price tag should be the comparing feature, you're paying for an SSD after all. All I know is mine is super fast, even compared to my 15" Macbook Pro with an i5.
jalarconx 2:54 AM - 9 November, 2011
Have you gotten your question answered?
djdannyd 3:08 AM - 9 November, 2011
another great article regarding SSD upgrades: in mb airs: www.macworld.com

I think price comparison is a great start to get what you need, unless you got an unlimited budget.
geeunot 5:14 AM - 10 November, 2011
But look at the new macbook air reviews. They are definitely better than the 2010 ones now. So tempted to get one. www.engadget.com
BOOGIEFROMCUR 2:38 PM - 11 November, 2011
I was posting in another forum but just for you guys to know that I put the new model macbook AIR trough a rough test for at least three hours.
In HID mode running USB with an un powered hub through two pioneer 2000's with the SL4.
The Air is a base model 1.7 GHZ intel cor i5, 4GB memoru 1333Mhz DD3, Graphics Intel HD 3000 384MB, with a 256GB SSD Harddrive.
I did everything exaggerated in a rough mode playing 1 hour files, loading 6 samples of the same files (one hour mixes) back spinning, scratching, fast forwarding etc etc with WIFI and Bluetooth on and using Google (opening web pages)
I also switched the USB ports...
NOT ONE GLITCH, we were all wow's and not even getting hot ...
Today I will test it in absolute mode with timecode cd's
Starshade 11:24 PM - 11 November, 2011
Hi peeps,

Hate to rain on the party but I'm having problems with the SL3 on my brand new macbook air.
Both decks sound like crap. It's choppy and the volume is very high. I keep it on low while I'm running it trying to solve this problem, and any small bump to the levels causes the EQ's to go to the red...

It's last years model, but it's got the 1.8 ghz dual core and all of that good stuff.

To be as succinct as possible, I know it's a problem with the computer because everything runs beautifully on my old HP laptop still.

Everything is hooked up correctly, dip switches set correctly, etc etc....

PLEASE HELP!!!!! I'm so bored without my decks and I don't have enough vinyl to get by and my old hp has way too many issues!!!! (even though I said it runs scratchlive fine, it's got many other problems that are annoying)
Starshade 11:25 PM - 11 November, 2011
*and by "everything runs beautifully on my old hp laptop still" I mean the decks, mixer, rane unit, cables, yadda yadda yadda
Jarednz 2:42 AM - 26 November, 2011
Gutted, I have been using the new macbook air now for this whole month and it is fantastic. I hope that when you connect your macbook that you re calibrate everything in SSL. Also if you look at the minimum specs required for SSL is 1.8 core duo for the mac... don't no if that is having an affect. Also when I plugged my macbook in, the internal master gain started really high and I had to turn it down so look at that... but i think it is to do with calibration
fr3pcola 2:30 PM - 17 July, 2013
I'm running SSL 2.2.0 on a 2012 MBA 1466... No hiccups at all
spdandpwr 2:05 PM - 11 September, 2013
Anyone running SL2, 3, or 4 on a 2013 MacBook Air? Wondering if the new Haswell processors are giving issues with USB devices. I know I had problems with my DDJ-SX.
utradar 3:44 PM - 11 September, 2013
I spun for 2 hours the next to last Friday with the OG box and had no issues.
pdidy 5:59 PM - 11 September, 2013
i have run all versions of serato(intro, itch, scratchlive sl1 an rane 62 and serato dj) on my 2011 macbook air flawlessly. Its so good I only use my macbook pro for video now.
forty 1:09 AM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
i have run all versions of serato(intro, itch, scratchlive sl1 an rane 62 and serato dj) on my 2011 macbook air flawlessly. Its so good I only use my macbook pro for video now.

Same, but he's referring to the new models with Haswell chips which are (reportedly) causing issues.
pdidy 1:16 AM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Same, but he's referring to the new models with Haswell chips which are (reportedly) causing issues.

yes I know....

@ spdandpwr , Did you try the Haswell fix i gave you in the other thread...
serato.com
DJ Business 6:43 AM - 12 September, 2013
The 2013 Haswell Macbook Air can potentially have a problem with ITCH or DJ using controllers due to some midi programming in OSX 10.8.4

Allegedly that issue will be fixed in the upcoming 10.8.5 update and OSX Mavericks

I personally have experienced the issue with Itch and Vestax VCI-380. CPU use is less then 20% but the controller just stops responding.

I have been using my 2013 MBA 11" with SL2 box with CDJ2000nexus in HID mode and not a single issue.

MBA Spec
1.7ghz i7 Haswell
8gb RAM
256GB SSD
spdandpwr 2:39 PM - 12 September, 2013
Yep, having the issue with DJ still; just bought an SL2 and prefer the sound quality and the stability afforded by it.
DJ freestylefrenzy 3:38 PM - 12 September, 2013
2013 11inch with SDJ vci 380 =(

2013 11inch with SSL SL3 =)
pdidy 5:42 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
Yep, having the issue with DJ still; just bought an SL2 and prefer the sound quality and the stability afforded by it.

You never answered the question....
spdandpwr 7:49 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
@ spdandpwr , Did you try the Haswell fix i gave you in the other thread...
serato.com

Thanks for your help and sorry for missing your posts. Seems to me that these solves evolve around updating my OS. Problem is that they're in Beta and I'm not willing to install a beta.
forty 11:32 PM - 12 September, 2013
10.8.5 is out.

Give it a shot and report back. :)
DJ freestylefrenzy 4:25 PM - 13 September, 2013
just downloaded 10.8.5..its 125am here in japan so will try it out tomorrow
DeejaySlamBB ! 4:15 PM - 13 October, 2013
Hi guys, i've just bought a new MacBook Air I5, 1,3 GHZ 128 SSD, 8gb ram, and i have some micro cuts issues when playing music with my TTM 57. Have some of you guys experimented this issue ? I run Scratch Live 2.5 and TTM 57 firmware is updated.
Thanks for your help.
DJ freestylefrenzy 4:19 PM - 13 October, 2013
slamBB..
i have the same air..i have to up my buffer to around 15ms...trying sliding it until the drop outs disappear
DeejaySlamBB ! 4:32 PM - 13 October, 2013
@DJ freestylefrenzy

and does it disappear ?

I don't understand this issue, to me our MBA is more powerful than the minimum requirements. 6 years ago I used to play with and old Core 2 duo and it was working just fine. How can a 2013 macbook air be to weak ? That's crazy
pdidy 4:42 PM - 13 October, 2013
Quote:
@DJ freestylefrenzy

and does it disappear ?

I don't understand this issue, to me our MBA is more powerful than the minimum requirements. 6 years ago I used to play with and old Core 2 duo and it was working just fine. How can a 2013 macbook air be to weak ? That's crazy

Because it has nothing to do with being weaker and it's not weaker. The MacBook Air uses a new processor (haswell) that is not quite compatible with Serato yet.
DeejaySlamBB ! 4:52 PM - 13 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
@DJ freestylefrenzy

and does it disappear ?

Because it has nothing to do with being weaker and it's not weaker. The MacBook Air uses a new processor (haswell) that is not quite compatible with Serato yet.

Ok so maybe an update should fix this issue soon ?
Joee 5:01 PM - 13 October, 2013
Quote:

i been thinking about a new macbook air/macbook pro retina, you were saying something about the new haswell proc?

wait i think i see something in this thread about it, when did apple start using thee proc?
Joee 5:03 PM - 13 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
@DJ freestylefrenzy

and does it disappear ?

new, so if i get a refurb 2012 i should be fine? how much ram do you have in your macbook air 4 or 8?
 6 5:05 PM - 13 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
@DJ freestylefrenzy

and does it disappear ?

And 6 years ago, SSL wasn't so bloated. nm
pdidy 5:40 PM - 13 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
@DJ freestylefrenzy

and does it disappear ?

new, so if i get a refurb 2012 i should be fine? how much ram do you have in your macbook air 4 or 8?

The 2011 and 2012 MacBook Air will work perfectly. I have a 2011 MBA i5 4 gigs ram and it quickly became my goto laptop because it runs Serato flawless to my surprise. I no longer consider it my backup because it's performance is equal if not better than my 2008 MacBook Pro. I definitely did not expect that.....
Joee 5:45 PM - 13 October, 2013
really with only 4 gig of ram...hmmmm, i was looking at the 8 gig......but wait your using scratchLive & itch? not serato dj?

doen't serato dj need more ram than sl & itch
DeejaySlamBB ! 5:52 PM - 13 October, 2013
Thank you guys for your quick response, nice forum. Hope Serato will release a fixing update soon. Because i still have 14 days to exchange my MBA, but i'm really going to miss that flat ultra light laptop. Don't want no MacBook pro any longer. By the way, such known issues with the 2013 retina MBP ?
pdidy 5:52 PM - 13 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
@DJ freestylefrenzy

and does it disappear ?

Ok so maybe an update should fix this issue soon ?

I personally would not recommend anyone buy the new 2013 MacBooks until Serato has had adequate time to test the new haswell processors. This will not likely happen until after the new line of 15s are introduced as I'm quite sure they will not be wasting much time testing the MBA.
pdidy 5:59 PM - 13 October, 2013
Quote:
really with only 4 gig of ram...hmmmm, i was looking at the 8 gig......but wait your using scratchLive & itch? not serato dj?

doen't serato dj need more ram than sl & itch

My 2011 MBA runs EVERY version of Serato perfectly. (Intro, itch, Scratchlive, Serato dj including 1.5) I do not use it for video because that is what MacBook pros 15s are for ;)
Joee 6:02 PM - 13 October, 2013
man you got me thinking about saving some money & buying the $850 refurb mba when apple puts another one up
pdidy 6:14 PM - 13 October, 2013
Quote:
Thank you guys for your quick response, nice forum. Hope Serato will release a fixing update soon. Because i still have 14 days to exchange my MBA, but i'm really going to miss that flat ultra light laptop. Don't want no MacBook pro any longer. By the way, such known issues with the 2013 retina MBP ?

From a professional stand point, always go with what's guaranteed to work, never gamble unless you have money to blow. I would make good use of that 14 day change.

Btw, retina is a totally unrequited expense if not a waste when using Serato unless you need it for other things like photography .
DJ freestylefrenzy 3:38 PM - 14 October, 2013
Quote:
@DJ freestylefrenzy

and does it disappear ?

Thats right..I had a 2010 MBA core 2 duo that worked wicked with SSL 2.5 and SDJ 1.3...
had it traded up with a 2013 MBA i5..and yes haswell hasnt played nice ever since..but with a few tweaks it works..
welcome123 5:56 PM - 31 March, 2014
I just tried to download Serato Scratch Live onto a MacBook Air - 31" brand new out the book. Had my TTM 57SL already connected. Can't get the Macbook Air to even recognize the TTM 57SL. What version are you guys using that works?
BOOGIEFROMCUR 10:08 PM - 31 March, 2014
I love my "special order" i7 macbook air 11" and it works nice with everything I throw at it but the real workhorse is my super "modified" MBpro....Just a little piece of advice for newbies..."Newer" is not always better and more practical for the profesional SERATO user... Does it make any difference if your laptop is a little slimmer once its sitting on that stand in the dj booth? The retina display does not serve any benefit. For those running serato video you're always better off with a dedicated videocard of plus 512 Mb and the MacBook Pro has models with more than that. The older model macbook pro's can be fitted with a 1TB SSD and that makes the "older" i7 model a beast. Mine also has 16 GB SDRAM which makes it very stable. I NEVER had serato dropouts. Also you can fit one more harddrive (in the cd drive) in the older models which makes it very nice for us that (occasionally) do videomixing (because with 2TB of space you have everything there with you on one laptop). I am planning to put that second 1TB hybrid upgrade next month. The older models also have the firewire 800 port which makes it easy to fit a extra external firewire hardrive (usually for videofiles) additionally. This makes a huge difference when you spin in HID mode with the pioneers and a SL box cause you're allready using the two usb ports. The new models have the thunderbolt ports and I yet have to find an external thunderbolt harddrive which I can pay without saying "ouch". Definitively take the version with "non glare" display... if you ever spin daytime gigs with lots of sunlight you will immediately know why. All that said...you sometimes can get models that fit this description in the Apple outlet store, I have only positive experiences with that. Also try OWC. And last...most profesional SERATO dj's cherish their laptops and therefore it's a dedicated "work" laptop meaning they dont mess around to much with it installing all kinds of software which are useless for DJ's.
Ej_1xm 11:46 PM - 19 July, 2014
i'm having trouble getting my controller to read, period i dunno if its a bad unit or what but this is taxing and i'm running out of patience trying to follow the advice given here on the forum

PLEASE HELP!!!!! i just wanna do hood rat things with my hood rat friends.

macbook air 13" mid 2011
ddj-sb serato intro

issue: "hardware not connected."
Konandoill 9:19 AM - 19 September, 2016
Dear ALL, sorry for my question, but I didn`t received final answer for question according - how run the SERATO DJ on lates MACBOOK air (2016) Who based on 1.6GHZ i5, and 8 gb ram with Pionner SX? One said this compliation runs fine and Well, but other said, that this set go only with MBP? who is right? And who really use MBA with Serato and pioneer ?
Konandoill 6:15 AM - 22 September, 2016
Dear ALL,
How use Apple AIR with Serato and Pioneer ? Did you find some troubles with this working ?