Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Promo Only Online Digital Pool

Culprit 5:22 AM - 26 July, 2011
www.promoonly.com

Would love to see the layout and the quality of the MP4's. Anyone been beta testing for it or tried it out or got hookups? Just curious. And rates too, i want to know rates. I know they monitor this forum.
Rebelguy 2:56 PM - 26 July, 2011
I'm supposed to be beta testing but had issues with the download portion. Let me try to get it running today.
djpuma_gemini 2:58 PM - 26 July, 2011
Maybe they'll come in here and post a freebee, I don't care what song/video, just to get the specs on it.
djpuma_gemini 2:59 PM - 26 July, 2011
Hit up Scott on twitter.
djpuma_gemini 3:00 PM - 26 July, 2011
What is it audio or video. I don't see video.
Culprit 5:18 PM - 26 July, 2011
Multi-format VIDEO selections include:

Express Video provides weekly delivery of the newest top 40, hip-hop, rock, country, and dance plus our exclusive Intro Edits (the hottest new singles with extended intros and outros). Available via data disc or digital download (MPEG4); billed at $89.00 per month.

Single VIDEO selections (delivered monthly) include:

Available digital video formats include Hot Video (top40), Urban Video (hip-hop) or Club Video (electronic dance). Available via data disc or digital download (MPEG4). Payment plans, per selection: 3 months of service -- $100.00; 6 months of service -- $180.00; 12 months of service -- $300.00.

DFF (digital file formats) data discs -- As an alternative to DVDs, we offer the convenience of MPEG4 (video files) data discs for computer-based DJ/VJs. Tagged to include artist, title, BPM, genre and more.
djpuma_gemini 5:22 PM - 26 July, 2011
quality?
CHYRON?????????????????
djpuma_gemini 5:27 PM - 26 July, 2011
So you have to wait monthly to get the digital downloads for single video selections?
djlj 1:39 PM - 19 August, 2011
Any input on the audio selections from the service? I'm thinking about picking it up...
dave28 4:00 PM - 20 August, 2011
HI guys just to give you some info here, I subscribe to Promo only UK video express which basically means on a weekly basis im sent up to 10 new vidz and some background images etc.. Quality is very good, takes a while to download the vidz is the only downfall for me. Getting some vidz couple of weeks before the songs released so pretty good, and apparently very soon we shall be able to download any video from their back catalogue!! Although been waiting on this for just as long as vsl update....I pay £40 gbp per month think its pretty good value and again quality is pretty good.. Ive seen a lot worse. Hope this helps
Dave
djawtkazt 12:05 AM - 9 September, 2011
i got a pool plus subscription with p.o.o.l. when i won the ultimate dj giveaway this august at the dj expo in atlantic city. i had a choice of either video or audio and i went for audio since i don't do videos at my gigs. the quality of the audio files are definitely great. they have great selections and the downloads are not that bad but could get lengthy depending how many files you're downloading. i opted to get immediate e-mail updates whenever there's a new song that's available for download but they also have their 'compiled' downloads as well where you can get a bunch of new tracks in one big download session rather than doing it piece meal whenever a new song comes out. the downloader is pretty good since it also gives you detailed info on the songs/artists. i like how easy it is for me to just click on the songs that i like in pool and just leave it alone to download. helps me work more efficient. hope this info helps. they're definitely worth a try at the least.
djlj 9:09 PM - 30 September, 2011
Thanks for the info djawtkazt. I think I'm gonna give p.o.o.l. a shot.
DJ.Tyme 12:28 AM - 4 October, 2011
Culprit =
Quote:
www.promoonly.com

Would love to see the layout and the quality of the MP4's. Anyone been beta testing for it or tried it out or got hookups? Just curious. And rates too, i want to know rates. I know they monitor this forum.
i got a free demo and anyone kan all you have to do is ask = Glen Ervin
Promo Only Orlando
257 S. Lake Destiny Dr.
Orlando, FL 32810
P 407.331.3600 ext 232
Mon Tue Wed Thurs 9 am-6 pm it seems pretty kool but im waiting to see wut other dj"s say about the service (music) since i dont do video
djpuma_gemini 12:38 AM - 4 October, 2011
I need a free trial to test this out.
DJ.Tyme 4:53 AM - 4 October, 2011
Glen Ervin = 407.331.3600 ext 232
djlj 5:50 PM - 7 October, 2011
I just got off the phone with Glen right now, actually. I plan on switching to POOL later today, I'm just trying to decide if I want to get the electronic option also. Any insight on that from what you see there, DJ.Tyme? I'm fairly happy with the electronic tracks I get from djcity but if switching over to POOL would be a better one-stop solution then I'll just run with that.
DJ.Tyme 3:12 AM - 8 October, 2011
i haven't tried pool yet. im still waiting to see what other DJ's say ?
djlj 6:40 AM - 8 October, 2011
The listings for the POOL option are available on promo only's site, you just have to do a bit of digging to get there. The "Electronic Bundle" listings aren't included though, so that will be interesting to see how extensive they are. I'm (finally) switching over from physical delivery to POOL; based on what I was paying for the multiple formats I receive now it turned out to be a no-brainer.
DJ.Tyme 3:01 AM - 9 October, 2011
(30 DAY FREE TRIAL)
to all my fellow DJ's, i tried this out and its hella kool. they got everything. i dont wurk for them,im just passing on info on a great find.while looking at other mp3 pools.besides the ones im in now. www.tophitsusa.com click on (send me a free sample) make sure you do the following = How did you hear about Top Hits U.S.A. (i wrote i got a flyer in the mail) which i did. also where it says = Please send the following (i didnt check off anything) in the message box below i just said i got a flyer in the mail about the 30 day free trial of there new digital direct mp3's downloads. and then they emailed me a temp user id & password. the downloads are fast and they have (ALL) genre's
Christopher2 8:57 PM - 9 October, 2011
You do work for them because you've made the exact same post on two forums now.
DJ.Tyme 9:03 PM - 9 October, 2011
@ Christopher2 just trying to spread a great find and share info with my fellow DJ's
djpuma_gemini 9:07 PM - 9 October, 2011
That website looks very unprofessional.
DJ.Tyme 11:25 PM - 9 October, 2011
don'Watchwww.youtube.com worry about the website. the service it real nice =
djlj 4:46 AM - 13 October, 2011
Okay, spam aside... First of all, I'm not a promo only fanboy. I'm writing all of this so that anyone who might be interested in this product can have some information from another DJ who has some experience with the product.

I switched over to POOL and I've started downloading tracks. The options I've seen so far are to save the audio as lossless m4a or 320 kbps MP3. The software is pretty straightforward; browse through monthly releases and select individual tracks or choose to download the entire releases. The files aren't Serato analyzed nor do they have cue points; some formatting of tags might be necessary to make it look the way you want in your directory. All in all, POOL seems like a solid choice for me because of the amount per year I was spending for Promo Only physical delivery anyway. If anyone has questions, feel free to ask and I'll see if I can poke around the software to get an answer for you.
DJ.Tyme 5:04 AM - 13 October, 2011
thanx djlj im on the fence with promo & top hits i got the demo of pool and its prety kool. (but) the interface on top hits is way better (but) top hits does kost more. (but) since im getting a 30 day free trial of top hits im getting used 2 it. have u tried out top hits ?
Christopher2 7:26 AM - 13 October, 2011
Do promo just offer singles? Extended edits? Full length remixes?
DJMark 8:49 AM - 13 October, 2011
The one thing I keep waiting to hear about:

Are they offering videos in their native framerates (and covering the entire screen) or are they being similar to another "legal" service and basing their whole workflow around DVD/NTSC standards?

Really not interested if they're putting up weirdly-cropped 29.97 deinterlaced videos...

Anyone?
Christopher2 9:17 AM - 13 October, 2011
Yes are they legal but useless or have they broken the mould? Good question.
djlj 2:44 PM - 13 October, 2011
Quote:
The one thing I keep waiting to hear about:

Are they offering videos in their native framerates (and covering the entire screen) or are they being similar to another "legal" service and basing their whole workflow around DVD/NTSC standards?

Really not interested if they're putting up weirdly-cropped 29.97 deinterlaced videos...

Anyone?

I'm on POOL for audio only, so I can't answer your technical questions about the videos. Perhaps someone else in here who is on the POOL demo with videos included could chime in on that.

Quote:
Do promo just offer singles? Extended edits? Full length remixes?

I'm still downloading a ton of crap (since I had to do a retroactive subscription to fill in the holes on a few formats) and I've only glossed over the files so far, pretty much while I'm analyzing them in Serato. I think the availability of intro edits, full remixes (not just the radio edits) and things like that depend on which package you're subscribed to. I got their "electronic option" so I have access to the club series, and those contain tracks of the type you're describing. I'm still interested in comparing what I get from POOL in that regard compared to what I was getting from djcity. I'd be disappointed if I needed to be subscribed to both in order to get my inst/acapella/edm wishes met, but sometimes that's how it goes.
djpuma_gemini 3:04 PM - 13 October, 2011
Sorry to say, but no on in this thread cares about the audio only side.

We're wondering about the videos and really the big question is
are they 29.9fps interlaced or native frame rate.
djlj 3:41 PM - 13 October, 2011
Fair enough. I am in the Video-SL forums, I didn't mean to take the thread off topic. :)

You could e-mail your question to Glen Ervin over at promo only and I bet he could answer your questions about the video file formats on pool.

glen.ervin@promoonly.com
djpuma_gemini 3:48 PM - 13 October, 2011
I'd rather them come here and tell us or someone else post up some info.

I'm not really interested in the pool since they should have done this 3 years ago when VSL launched.
I'm already set on pools and content, but still would like to know about their quality, but I won't go out hunting the answers down.
Country Boy 7:57 PM - 13 October, 2011
They are 29.9fps, 720x480, square pixel, deinterlaced. They release them to correspond with the disk releases.
DJ.Tyme 9:08 PM - 13 October, 2011
Check this out dj puma ? Don't be coming on here saying that krap nobody cares about audio. Does the title say promo only videos ? No it don't so u kant speak for everyone else. And if u want some info then go f____n look for it, don't be like your some kind of king or something saying promo needs to kome on this thread. Go to sleep dude
djpuma_gemini 9:11 PM - 13 October, 2011
You did post in the VIDEO-SL Discussoin thread, so this pertains to video. Not Audio.

Yes the title is misleading, but this wasn't in the djing discussions thread.

I don't need to go look for it, cause someone already posted the info
djpuma_gemini 9:20 PM - 13 October, 2011
When this post was created it was meant for the VIDEO side since it's in the Video-SL discussions thread.
You could easily see that by reading the posts and everyone talks about video not audio.
djbigboy 9:55 PM - 13 October, 2011
agree with dj puma

No need to get mad...
Christopher2 11:44 PM - 13 October, 2011
D.J Tyme,
Instead of trying to sell us your shit site why not go and brush up on your shit spelling?
DJ.Tyme 12:08 AM - 14 October, 2011
dumb Christopher ? I aint selling anything was just sharing info with fellow DJ's
tomatoslice 9:52 PM - 14 October, 2011
thanks for the heads up on video.
unfortunately, we do not care about audio.
tomatoslice 9:57 PM - 14 October, 2011
your suggestion, IF we are talking video, would do better here.
serato.com

if i had to pick a person to speak for all of us, Puma would be a good start.
Res-Q 5:34 AM - 16 October, 2011
Quote:
Don't be coming on here saying that krap nobody cares about audio.

I'm speaking for myself, f.ck a audio gig, I only care about video. And what's with all the anger anyway? Puma might need some sleep, but u definately need some smoke
djpuma_gemini 11:06 PM - 16 October, 2011
haha.
djlj 1:07 AM - 17 October, 2011
Holy crap this thread has gotten testy. (nm)

Anyway, what's the word on POOL with video? I'm new to the video DJ game but I will be picking up a MBP and Video-SL sometime in the next six months or so and I'd like to have a handle on where I'll be getting my content. If Promo Only's videos are decent then perhaps I'll stick to that, but if they suck with Video-SL then I need to start figuring out prices, etc of the competitors.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:49 AM - 17 October, 2011
Quote:
agree with dj puma

No need to get mad...

+1

Too many quality/legal audio pools out there to give a shit about Promo Only coming late to the party YEARS LATE with audio downloads on demand FINALLY.

Promo Only Video was respected throughout the years as one of the few quality sources. They have a chance to make a dent in the video pool market with their back catalog if it is proper as digital.

just saying...
djpuma_gemini 3:52 AM - 17 October, 2011
Yeah in 08 when I started video PO was the way to go, now it's not worth it for me.
DJMark 4:05 AM - 17 October, 2011
Quote:
Anyway, what's the word on POOL with video?.

Well, if Country Boy's post is true...

Quote:
They are 29.9fps, 720x480, square pixel, deinterlaced.

...doesn't sound too encouraging.

Sounds like they're basing workflow around DVD standards, which in 2011 is ass-backwards.
djpuma_gemini 5:02 AM - 17 October, 2011
I can see why, but don't condone it.

They already have to go from their source to dvd standard, so why do another step and render them back to proper source framerate when they already have the video set to 29.9.
Good in their minds and saves their editing team a step, but bad for any dj who wants to use them.
Are the vids all 720x480 and are letter boxed WS vids, if so that's horrible and very bad
DJMark 8:18 AM - 17 October, 2011
Quote:
I can see why, but don't condone it.

They already have to go from their source to dvd standard, so why do another step and render them back to proper source framerate when they already have the video set to 29.9.
Good in their minds and saves their editing team a step, but bad for any dj who wants to use them.

All they would have to do is edit/master everything at native frame rate, then split things out at the encode stage for DVD vs. online.

For that matter, they and others could easily be putting 23.976fps material on DVD's (for stuff natively at that framerate)...but that's maybe getting a little deep for this thread...

Anyway DVD is at best a near-obsolete format. Basing workflow around that format in late 2011 is about as regressive as centering an audio-production workflow around the characteristics/limitations of 8-track tapes ridiculous.
djlj 2:59 PM - 17 October, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
agree with dj puma

No need to get mad...

+1

Too many quality/legal audio pools out there to give a shit about Promo Only coming late to the party YEARS LATE with audio downloads on demand FINALLY.

Promo Only Video was respected throughout the years as one of the few quality sources. They have a chance to make a dent in the video pool market with their back catalog if it is proper as digital.

just saying...

I hear ya, man. I've had a love/hate relationship with PO over the years, but it seems like they (finally) have their act together with POOL, for audio at least. It's not enough to completely cancel other subscriptions but it's pretty nice. It's too bad that they're not up to speed with video though. I guess I'll monitor this thread and the others in the V-SL forums to try to figure out what I'll do for video content.
DJ_COZ 7:12 AM - 20 October, 2011
Can someone tell me if you can search and download old videos on POOL, or are you limited to just the current releases?
popnwave 5:58 PM - 15 December, 2011
FYI you can go back as far as they have added, they don't list back catalog stuff as far as I can see. So pretty much 2011 and on is avail for download.
djlj 6:27 PM - 22 January, 2012
I'm pretty sure it just goes back as far as your subscription started, so they do have some retroactive material. Not sure how far back it goes though.
DJ JSUN LOVEHOUSE 11:58 AM - 13 August, 2012
WWW.FRANCHISERECORDPOOL.COM IS THE BEST VIDEO SERVICE I HAVE FOUND FOR ONLY 15USD PER MONTH AND A GREAT SELECTION OF VIDS

COULD BE MORE INTRO AND OUTRO FRIENDLY BUT THEY HAVE THE BOMB VERSIONS IN VIDEO

IF THERE IS SOMETHING BETTER PLEASE REPLY TO THIS POST

DJ JSUN LOVEHOUSE
Millz 2:42 PM - 13 August, 2012
hahaha the shit just keeps getting deeper and deeper. Promo Only online videos in their Pool are rendered wrong, and franchiserecordpool rip mtv and other bullshit sources for their "video mixes". Jus keepin it real yo yo yo.
DJ JSUN LOVEHOUSE 2:45 PM - 13 August, 2012
fasho so wuts the word big bird, gimme more...
Millz 2:56 PM - 13 August, 2012
www.vj-pro.com
www.smashvision.com

Fully licensed, legit service. Pay per track. Buy only what you want/need. No filler, no fake bullshit. 100% properly rendered files. Serato analyzed w cuepoints. If you need more info please check out the site.

Some may say I'm hating on Promo Only. I am not. I was a paying customer of Promo Only for nearly a decade. The times have changed. Dvds and improperly rendered files are a thing of the past. I wish Promo Only the best.
djpuma_gemini 4:24 PM - 13 August, 2012
Quote:
www.vj-pro.com
www.smashvision.com

Fully licensed, legit service. Pay per track. Buy only what you want/need. No filler, no fake bullshit. 100% properly rendered files. Serato analyzed w cuepoints. If you need more info please check out the site.

Some may say I'm hating on Promo Only. I am not. I was a paying customer of Promo Only for nearly a decade. The times have changed. Dvds and improperly rendered files are a thing of the past. I wish Promo Only the best.

I agree with the Promo Only statements. I haven't seen their files in a few months, but I'm assuming they still are letterboxed and have the watermark every 30 seconds.
DJ Deano 4:26 PM - 13 August, 2012
Chipping in from a UK user, i guess Promo Only are the only company we can use now, as Mixmash has gone.

You guys, have a lot more options than us for pools and services.

And not to mention a vast majority of bars/clubs use the good old composite connections to screens, so we don't have much choice in what video looks good or not, so DVD quality or HD quality videos is a hit and miss choice.
PopRoXxX 4:44 PM - 13 August, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Don't be coming on here saying that krap nobody cares about audio.

I'm speaking for myself, f.ck a audio gig, I only care about video. And what's with all the anger anyway? Puma might need some sleep, but u definately need some smoke

So true. I'll join ya on that trip Res
Millz 5:37 PM - 13 August, 2012
Hopefully DJ Deano, this soon will change :)
djpuma_gemini 5:39 PM - 13 August, 2012
Quote:
Hopefully DJ Deano, this soon will change :)

Yes hopefully for their sake (UK users)
Marine 6:06 PM - 13 August, 2012
I was a customer with promo only for over a decade. I bought the dvi-x1s when they first came out and spent thousands and thousands of dollars with promo only on video and when they started the watermark every 15 seconds or so I called glen from promo only and expressed my concern about the watermark. I found smash vidz and as soon as i seen there quality and customer service I called glen from promo only and canceled my subscription and he told me I would be back. I haven't been back and would highly recommend www.vj-pro.com, www.smashvision.com. Any time smash comes out with something that I only had a promo only video to I delete the promo only video.
Rebelguy 6:30 PM - 13 August, 2012
There will be a couple of more legal options in the States and the UK very soon. Things should get interesting in the next few months.
popnwave 7:18 PM - 13 August, 2012
Yeah, for once I feel bad, it's usually the US that gets the crap deal when it comes to video pools. 10 years ago I was in awe over MixMash, The Videopool (who is still around, not sure if they do downloads yet), PO, etc over there.. not much left standing right now.
djpuma_gemini 8:15 PM - 13 August, 2012
What I want to know is why is PO going to VDJC2?
nik39 8:21 PM - 13 August, 2012
Quote:

They want to learn how to IVTC correctly ;)
djpuma_gemini 9:09 PM - 13 August, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

They want to learn how to IVTC correctly ;)

LMAO
too bad we won't see that at the conference unless you find my in my hotel room (no homo)
DJ Deano 2:54 PM - 14 August, 2012
What's the big deal with the watermarks?

I know PO and Mixmash had them, but whats the big issue?
It doesnt bother me one slightest bit if they are on or not.

Maybe if you create mashups and remixes, but whats the deal?
Marine 3:52 PM - 14 August, 2012
The watermarks popping up every thirty seconds or so look horrible and promo onlys chyron is huge not a good look.
DJ Deano 5:26 PM - 14 August, 2012
Well most people may cover them with their own logos whilst working anyway.
So whats the difference?

I thought the company's done this to protect the artists who they pay the money for to get the videos?
Marine 5:30 PM - 14 August, 2012
Vj-pros chyrons are clean and look professional and the quality is second to none. If you like promo only stay with them but I'm just letting you know there is a better option
djnak 5:46 PM - 14 August, 2012
Quote:
Well most people may cover them with their own logos whilst working anyway.

I dont...(well only on my online mixes I logo that shit out) if im playing live I NEVER use my logo to cover up chyrons I might pop it on screen for a few seconds along with ads and such..there are only a few companies out there that make decent chyrons....It bothers the hell out of me when I see a shitty chyron on the screen i prefer them as small and opaque as possible
popnwave 7:24 PM - 14 August, 2012
I'm over all of the I have no problems with PO/VJ-PRO/MM etc at this point, it will not make or break my set as long as the sound and video are good.

People just want clean stuff so they can hack it up for remixes, which I understand, but pleeeease, the whining about it gets old.
PopRoXxX 8:39 PM - 15 August, 2012
Quote:
I'm over all of the I have no problems with PO/VJ-PRO/MM etc at this point, it will not make or break my set as long as the sound and video are good.

People just want clean stuff so they can hack it up for remixes, which I understand, but pleeeease, the whining about it gets old.

I'm with you on this
Rebelguy 9:41 PM - 15 August, 2012
Quote:

Actually I have two venues that prefer not having watermarks on the videos as they said it looks tacky. This mostly stems from the Promo Only tags from before though. I haven't heard them say anything in regard to the VJ-Pro watermarks.
djpuma_gemini 10:34 PM - 15 August, 2012
Yes. I agree with Rebelguy
I could care less about getting edits without tags just to take them and make my own remixes.
I can get content, so I don't have to worry about tags if I really wanted to.
Ugly ass chyrons are hideous.
When I make my own edits I don't tag them and I think anyone who gives out edits shouldn't
If you put a chyron on your edit and you're not working for a pool I won't play your shit out.
Especially if you use some flashy shit or have it throughout the video.
This isn't 2008, no one cares about your chyron and you won't get bookings out of them.
PopRoXxX 3:28 PM - 16 August, 2012
I don't hate on the man at all, but Phat-Al's old chryons were pretty horrendous on CC.
phatbob 5:29 PM - 16 August, 2012
Oh my days, so true.

It wouldn't be a problem but there's one of his I still play regularly, it looks so out of place compared to every other video in my set. But it's such a great remix, dammit!
djnak 6:52 PM - 16 August, 2012
Quote:
It wouldn't be a problem but there's one of his I still play regularly, it looks so out of place compared to every other video in my set. But it's such a great remix, dammit!

I might be wrong but I think he reupped them with a new chyron
phatbob 7:41 PM - 16 August, 2012
Damn, I like it, but not enough to buy it twice... Not at Crooklyn prices. ;-)
Millz 11:12 PM - 16 August, 2012
which one? i think al redid a bunch of his stuff.
djpuma_gemini 12:46 AM - 17 August, 2012
gold digger ray charles edit is the one I play.
phatbob 2:22 AM - 17 August, 2012
2pac vs RHCP - Dani California Love is my Phat Al jam...