Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

VSL The End is near, let's face it.

djpuma_gemini 12:24 AM - 25 July, 2011
It has been forever since an update has been out and I think we should come to the realization that there will be no updates.

I really don't care if there is an update or not, but to go this long without one leads me to believe that the longer it goes without an update the less people will use it.

I feel sorry for the pc users as Mix Emergency isn't supported on pc's, but if you care about your dj career you will make the switch to a mac, or get a hackintosh.

True fact, vsl/ssl/me whatever runs better on a mac.

I don't know how others feel, but I for one, believe that there will not be an update to a piece of software where the competition is winning by a land slide.
I be more willing to bet on a Mix Emergency update to run on a pc than a vsl update.
VJ Justin Allen 1:15 AM - 25 July, 2011
I would think that there will be an update before the end of the year. But I also agree that ME is really far ahead and seems to answer the needs of the VJ right now.

IF there is to be no update I do wish that Serato would just allow seamless integration of ME into ScratchLive.
lvmez 2:16 AM - 25 July, 2011
this topic is getting old.
tomatoslice 2:40 AM - 25 July, 2011
VSL is dead
SSL is a dying program as well.
what keeps it alive is ME, a few VSL users and a whole lot of old school djs that simply prefer vinyl.
the cdj users might as well just switch to a jog wheel type controller and another program, you are practically there.
tomatoslice 2:47 AM - 25 July, 2011
ssl is old technology.
the rest of the world is jumping ahead in leaps and bounds. hell, even traktor has more performance quality than itch.
i am just stuck here due to my love of 1200s and a desire to use a good video program.
Bren 10:43 AM - 25 July, 2011
Have the mods left the building as well? I rarely see any mod or anyone representing the company here these days.
Crickett 2:04 PM - 25 July, 2011
Maybe they all got laid off? Or, maybe there just getting laid? :-/
djpuma_gemini 2:17 PM - 25 July, 2011
I think it's just hush hush at the moment. They can't come in here and say, hey the update is in the works (private beta) or hey you're right, vsl is done.
djnak 4:14 AM - 26 July, 2011
it would be nice to see a mod defend vsl in here though...A person has an issue and we all say shut up and get M.e.
DJ'Que 5:19 AM - 26 July, 2011
dam i just said this in another post^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
VJ Justin Allen 11:11 AM - 26 July, 2011
Mods typically never talk about what's in the pipeline before it hits public beta.

Maybe this topic will be an exception (but I doubt it).
iKutZ 12:54 PM - 26 July, 2011
This is quite interesting... Bin a while since i've bin on these forums but there does seem to be a big drop off on vsl. This could mean that Nathan has been reassigned to work on an itch port of vsl or he's not there anymore...

Nath were r u dude?

Seriously though ME is more ahead in some respects because the inklin bod isn't bound to support as wider range of hardware as serato and that is 90% of the problem of developing media application for the masses. But however having built my own solutions and hacky work rounds to serato the TTM and VSL. This stuff is all within remit of possibilites.

However there are those of us if it were opened up a little more stably who would gladly work on such projects. I know in the past I have seriously considered applying to work for serato as a dev but at that point didn't feel confident enough in my programming however now could quite easily take on some sideline projects to help develope VSL. It would be nice if they hooked in an standardized point of entry into scratchlive or itch instead of having to do mem hacks to get info on track filename postition e.t.c. as there are enough people who can do this sort of thing now.
djcrap 1:13 PM - 27 July, 2011
the real question is where is Nathan H?

he hasn't posted in any of the threads in 9 months now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DjBoozie 4:59 PM - 27 July, 2011
I Think Nathan is no Longer with them, but I could be wrong... i thought I seen a thread from a while ago saying he left Serato
lvmez 5:06 PM - 27 July, 2011
maybe he is working for ME
DJ'Que 6:54 PM - 27 July, 2011
yeah i think i got a email about it to.
tomatoslice 12:20 AM - 28 July, 2011
last time he posted anything was in october.
last we heard anything about him was in march from Glenn M

serato.com

easiest way to know is just call them.
Culprit 7:34 PM - 1 August, 2011
Nothing from Nathan and its been almost a year. Safe to assume he is no longer working for Serato? Since he was the only dev, can we get a confirm that vsl is a dead project and move on? Thank god for mix emergency.
djpuma_gemini 7:35 PM - 1 August, 2011
Quote:
Nothing from Nathan and its been almost a year. Safe to assume he is no longer working for Serato? Since he was the only dev, can we get a confirm that vsl is a dead project and move on? Thank NICK for mix emergency.

Fixed it
Culprit 7:36 PM - 1 August, 2011
agreed.
Rebelguy 7:36 PM - 1 August, 2011
Quote:
Thank god for mix emergency.

Then again maybe Mix Emergency is the reason we haven't heard much from the VSL devs.
dj vegas 7:55 PM - 1 August, 2011
the new itch is out and no video sooo yea vsl is done!
tomatoslice 10:50 PM - 1 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Thank god for mix emergency.

Then again maybe Mix Emergency is the reason we haven't heard much from the VSL devs.

still...thank you Nick for making a product better than what serato could.
i firmly believe if it was not for ME we'd still be stuck with the same current version of vsl.
Millz 11:06 PM - 1 August, 2011
;)
djpuma_gemini 11:11 PM - 1 August, 2011
Well not really, if there wasn't ME, then Nick might still be at Serato so we might have vsl 3.0 out now with recording features.
Millz 11:16 PM - 1 August, 2011
3.0? You mean 2.0 :)
djpuma_gemini 11:42 PM - 1 August, 2011
They aren't on 2.0 yet. I guess I was thinking of SSl 2.someting. IS vsl still on 1.2?
damn
.2 after 3 years.
tomatoslice 1:09 AM - 2 August, 2011
Quote:
Well not really, if there wasn't ME, then Nick might still be at Serato so we might have vsl 3.0 out now with recording features.

so which came first? nick leaving or ME?
Bren 1:37 AM - 2 August, 2011
ta2423 6:57 AM - 2 August, 2011
No offense to M.E. I personaly use it every weekend. Stepping on VSL is kind of retarded. I know a grip of people still rocking vsl strong and they are getting paid just as well as anyone else if not better. They have been using vsl for years and seem to be doing just fine. Obviously it works and gets the job done. When I am double or triple gigged I put my backup dj on vsl. I still get paid. My third setup uses pc and vsl comes in handy for the person I dont want on my $2800 MBP's. So as far as that goes vsl is perfect in the right situation. Until M.E. makes it compatible with pc "wont happen" vsl will still be purchased for years to come. If you were on the end that cant or wont rock a mac you would praise vsl. If you were working for me and didnt have your own laptop... You would be rocking the pc/vsl and undoubtedly we would both still get paid and I personally dont see a need for a update for something that is working out fine with 3 to 5 gigs a week and double tripled on weekends. On the cool its mighty big of serato to even allow threads as this and allow it to be pushed as a competitive product on their site. Just saying...
ta2423 7:02 AM - 2 August, 2011
Not to mention... When someone walks by and jacks your mbp and your sitting at home, you will wipe the sweat off your forehead knowing that pc collecting dust will get you through the nights gig.
ta2423 7:02 AM - 2 August, 2011
Not to mention... When someone walks by and jacks your mbp and your sitting at home, you will wipe the sweat off your forehead knowing that pc collecting dust will get you through the nights gig.
Rebelguy 8:05 PM - 2 August, 2011
It's great to hear VSL working for you and on a PC and I am sure you paid for all the multiple copies of VSL you are using but realistically it makes no sense to purchase a product that has no definite future. VSL on a PC is hit or miss at best. You got it to work and that is great but there are plenty of people that haven't. ME is smart to target the osx side of things as it allows for quicker and more stable updates.

Also...you don't need a $2800 mbp to use ME. ME is more efficient then VSL and videos look better on it. That is a fact. You can get by with a base model mbp or even a used mbp from a few years ago if you really needed to fit a budget.

I am not really sure about your last comment as well. If my mbp got jacked I have a 4 year old mbp that handles ME very well. Would a 4 year old pc handle VSL...probably not.
djnak 8:05 PM - 2 August, 2011
pfft Ill just grab my other mbp or my imac if it comes down to it lol
ta2423 1:58 AM - 3 August, 2011
Quote:
It's great to hear VSL working for you and on a PC and I am sure you paid for all the multiple copies of VSL you are using but realistically it makes no sense to purchase a product that has no definite future. VSL on a PC is hit or miss at best. You got it to work and that is great but there are plenty of people that haven't. ME is smart to target the osx side of things as it allows for quicker and more stable updates.

Also...you don't need a $2800 mbp to use ME. ME is more efficient then VSL and videos look better on it. That is a fact. You can get by with a base model mbp or even a used mbp from a few years ago if you really needed to fit a budget.

I am not really sure about your last comment as well. If my mbp got jacked I have a 4 year old mbp that handles ME very well. Would a 4 year old pc handle VSL...probably not.

Nobody said you needed a 2800 mbp to run ssl and Me. Thats what I chose to buy. I personally wont let someone use my mbp to gig with. They will have to use pc. Chances are more than 75% of peeps in this forum dont have a mbp. Let alone a second one. VSL has never been a miss for me. It has always worked and never crashed at a gig.
Using multiple copies? Only a person that would do that would even mention it. If it isnt running right for someone just means they didnt have the right specs or dont know how to adjust their settings. "Make a help request" To say vsl is dead in the water is incorrect. The program works and will continue to sell. Detering future sales to peeps that would buy it because they cannot afford a mbp is straight ignorant. If vsl was taken out of the scenario then ME would be dead in the water. You do have to have the vsl pluggin regardless if its demo or not to run M.E.
I use M.E. every day, my back up dj for second gigs uses vsl every weekend. Those that are just starting out and cannot afford a mbp dont be discouraged in vsl.
To answer your question yes a 4 year old pc will handle vsl. I have yet to have one person walk up to the booth and say something about quality of the video. Do you and I see it. "maybe" Does back seat betty and Frank the Tank? No.
Rebelguy 2:30 AM - 3 August, 2011
Let me drop some information on you. If you call Rane tech support about VSL they will tell you themselves that eventhough they do support PCs they still recommend Macs. That is coming from the company. Yes some people luck out and find a configuration that works but a majority of the time it doesn't. There are tons of discussions on this. Even the people that have had it work end up switching because it works better on the mac side.

Fooling folks into thinking they can walk into best buy and pick up a cheap pc and have it instantly work with VSL is straight ignorant.

Also if the guy that started ME was out if the equation then so would VSL as he was the creator of VSL as well. Hence the reason it works better.

As far people noticing the difference, the club owners and promoters I work with do and those are the only people that matter to me.
ta2423 2:31 AM - 3 August, 2011
2006 hp 13' touchsmart running latest vsl and ssl. E40 concert. Enough said dead thread.
i108.photobucket.com
Rebelguy 2:44 AM - 3 August, 2011
How is it a dead thread. Are you showing any videos running? What resolution are you running?

We can pc vs mac all day but in the end this is about VSL and their lack of updates. Its been months since we have seen a mod over here and longer for an update. A simple response from them could clear this all up.
ta2423 4:43 AM - 3 August, 2011
They seem to be pretty busy on facebook giving away free loopmaster downloads. Dont get me wrong. I will always have a mac in front of me. Who knows whats going on at headquarters. With the way things are rolling downhill Im sure they are having cutbacks as much as everyone else. For all we know half the team is laid off. Everyone on this thread uses m.e. I dont think any of us will revert back to vsl even if it has an update. I just dont think its fair statement to say vsl is dead. Yes videos were running. Nobody has to believe me. What would it look like if I was running around a concert taking video of video's being played. I was too busy having a good time.
DJ'Que 8:58 AM - 3 August, 2011
nate is still there. from what I heard. thats all I can say.
djpuma_gemini 3:18 PM - 3 August, 2011
So, the consensus is VSL is dead.
Glad we got this cleared up.
tomatoslice 4:06 PM - 3 August, 2011
there is no life in VSL
tomatoslice 4:08 PM - 3 August, 2011
i'm calling it.

official time of death.
11:18AM EST August 3rd 2011
djpuma_gemini 4:15 PM - 3 August, 2011
ta2423 7:44 PM - 3 August, 2011
Makes me money so I agree to disagree. When something costs me x amount of $ and has by far paid for itself 100 times over and continues to rake in $. Im going to use it until it flat out just doesnt want to be my whore anymore.
i108.photobucket.com
phil F 8:13 PM - 3 August, 2011
Quote:
Makes me money so I agree to disagree. When something costs me x amount of $ and has by far paid for itself 100 times over and continues to rake in $. Im going to use it until it flat out just doesnt want to be my whore anymore.
i108.photobucket.com

SNAP :)
djpuma_gemini 8:14 PM - 3 August, 2011
True, you could use it forever on the latest version. Really loving those weekly free transitions too. oh wait...
djnak 8:36 PM - 3 August, 2011
I never had an issue with v.s.l it worked flawlessly for me(Mac) then I seen M.e. and for now R.i.p vsl...although I did jump on a buddys rig a little while ago and I actually do miss one the about vsl, the ability to control effects from the ttm 57(not the effects themselves just the ability to control them from the ttm 57)
DJ'Que 8:51 PM - 3 August, 2011
we have to be crazy to think there not up to something with vsl. could be 4 decks,itch, a whole new look something. there 2 quiet. just like the sl2 it just popped up.
Crickett 9:05 PM - 3 August, 2011
Quote:
i108.photobucket.com

+1

I use VSL on a PC and have zero issues... That bitch always has my money.
Rebelguy 9:47 PM - 3 August, 2011
Quote:
we have to be crazy to think there not up to something with vsl. could be 4 decks,itch, a whole new look something. there 2 quiet. just like the sl2 it just popped up.

I think the SL2 popped up out of necessity. The soundcard and USB needed to be updated to compete with Traktor.
djpuma_gemini 9:50 PM - 3 August, 2011
I'm not talking about it still being used, shit you can still use windows xp, but that is dead too.
djcrap 9:53 PM - 3 August, 2011
the funny thing is the Nathan was the brains behind vsl and the bridge

so guess what there won't be any update on the bridge too

so the bridge is dead too...lol
djpuma_gemini 10:10 PM - 3 August, 2011
Good point, but who knows if Nathan is gone or not.
Millz 10:54 PM - 3 August, 2011
I do ;)
djpuma_gemini 10:58 PM - 3 August, 2011
Well there you go.
DJ'Que 11:42 PM - 3 August, 2011
@ mill They going to be blowin up your pm for the answer. lol
ta2423 3:10 AM - 4 August, 2011
The Bridge is a completely different issue. I will be damn if I didnt fall into all the hype and blow a wad on ableton suite and the apc40. I toy with it some but has pretty much just collected dust and memory space. Unless I spend a grip of time learning ableton and get into production... This whore wont be making me any dough. Guess I should kick that bitch to the curb.
Crickett 3:12 AM - 4 August, 2011
Quote:
The Bridge is a completely different issue. I will be damn if I didnt fall into all the hype and blow a wad on ableton suite and the apc40. I toy with it some but has pretty much just collected dust and memory space. Unless I spend a grip of time learning ableton and get into production... This whore wont be making me any dough. Guess I should kick that bitch to the curb.

+1
Aaron The Era 3:42 AM - 4 August, 2011
I like turtles...
DjBoozie 4:50 PM - 4 August, 2011
Quote:
I like turtles...

+1
DjBoozie 4:52 PM - 4 August, 2011
Rebelguy 5:10 PM - 4 August, 2011
Quote:
I like turtles...

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJLRock 2:43 AM - 5 August, 2011
Quote:
pfft Ill just grab my other mbp or my imac if it comes down to it lol

same here
Aaron The Era 2:44 AM - 5 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
I like turtles...

Watchwww.youtube.com

I have used that same facial expression b4
Rebelguy 3:24 AM - 5 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I like turtles...

Watchwww.youtube.com
I have used that same facial expression b4

Same sound effects also?
Aaron The Era 7:50 PM - 5 August, 2011
quite possibly
dj mike cina 9:13 PM - 11 December, 2011
COME ON................................ Update VSL!!!!!!!!! OR MAKE M.E FOR PC'S
djpuma_gemini 9:31 PM - 11 December, 2011
Update is coming
kameleon 9:11 PM - 16 December, 2011
I actually spoke with Nathan recently in October. I was DJing an event in Anahiem, CA and he was curious what I was using for my music videos. He mentioned that before he left he had written most of VSL 2.0, but for whatever reason due to lack of talent or prioritzation Serato has not been able to release it. I assume with the VSl price drop, Serato is looking to get some buzz back around it to get ready to launch a new version. Kind of like what car dealerships do before bringing in the next years new models.

As for Mac vs. PC, the fact is its easier to create software for the Mac because they are less variations out there. With Windows you build one engine that has got to fit everything from a motorcycle to a locomotive. However, if you truly understand PC hardware then it will not be that hard to get the right machine for ScratchLive and VSL. With that, it may be beneficial for Serato to pick specific PC machines to test and certify Serato with. This would make it easier on the non-PC tech savvy.
DJ'Que 9:38 PM - 16 December, 2011
Yeah im hoping they have something ready or in special invite beta. I was a beta for 1.2 . I would be one for 2.0 but since someone was leaking shit I see why there holding off.
tomatoslice 10:08 PM - 16 December, 2011
it's pretty public knowledge that Nathan had written a bunch of new code before he left.