DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Playing out bar vs. club

j cal 9:05 PM - 18 August, 2007
I first started playing at bars then slowly got into working at more clubs. When I first started doing bars, I thought that it was the shit that I coulda played anything and It'll be all good, people are there to get smashed and dance a little bit. I thought bar gigs were easy money. Now that I've been doing more clubs, I'm finding it more difficult to get creative at the bars. I'm starting to think that i'm playing the same sets every week. I feel like there are only so many rock anthems out there, that i'm playing those all out.

any insights?
DJ Prinvale` 9:16 PM - 18 August, 2007
delete all your loops and upload a lot of new or old music.

Re-organize your library / crates.

both help with playing stuff you don't normally play and finding gems in your library.
Tfresh 9:20 PM - 18 August, 2007
I go through the same thing. I know that the nastolgic (sp) jam of "Your Love" works everytime, but I spin here 4 times a week at least people are going to come in and think oh its the guy that plays "that one song" all the time. I have started to keep my SSL open til I get home, and loot at the tracks I played in review vs the ones I didn't. I then try and play something different the next time I play and make sure that my mixes are different and not predictable. It's hard because I want to rock the party so bad that it is sometimes hard for me to lay of some of the mixes I do because I know that they work so well...I am always trying to switch it up.

Side note* Faith No More - Epic. is a good song...just started rocking that one again....try it out!

T
j cal 9:42 PM - 18 August, 2007
Quote:

Side note* Faith No More - Epic. is a good song...just started rocking that one again....try it out!

T

Have that in my library, but never threw it out there. I agree with Prinvale', i got mad classics that i don't even touch that I need to play out. Stick'n to springsteen's glory days, some GNR and those "same" rock hits isn't cutting it anymore.

I might have thought working at the bars was easy, but I find doing clubs easier. Maybe because I started spinning with hip hop.
DJ Prinvale` 12:17 AM - 19 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

T

Have that in my library, but never threw it out there. I agree with Prinvale', i got mad classics that i don't even touch that I need to play out. Stick'n to springsteen's glory days, some GNR and those "same" rock hits isn't cutting it anymore.

I might have thought working at the bars was easy, but I find doing clubs easier. Maybe because I started spinning with hip hop.

After about three months at my residency I noticed I would play a lot of the same stuff, mixing the same songs over each weekend. Before it got bad I decided to change that. So now I try not "practice" sets, I do practice a lot but I don't practice what to play. That helps a lot. Also just going into my "all" crate and scrolling for stuff within +/- 5bpm of the song I am playing helps as well.

When all else fails, take more requests. I know most requests are repedative and plain ol garbage but every once and a while someone comes up with something I would have never thought of.

I also try "new" stuff that most DJ's may frown upon because I'm not super good at them, mashups, on the fly remixes, scratches I don't normally do, etc etc.

if you think about how much stuff we have to know, it's actually pretty easy to keep sets "fresh"
DJ Autograph 1:05 AM - 19 August, 2007
Good Topic

I went the opposite way. Used to do clubs now i'm doing bars and I find myself stuck in a rut. I do play the same shit every week but I try to change the order up a little and throw in new shit here and there. Recently i've been going to Starbucks and spending a few hours a day "digging" for new ish to play. It's tough though.
j cal 1:10 AM - 19 August, 2007
Quote:
Good Topic

I went the opposite way. Used to do clubs now i'm doing bars and I find myself stuck in a rut. I do play the same shit every week but I try to change the order up a little and throw in new shit here and there. Recently i've been going to Starbucks and spending a few hours a day "digging" for new ish to play. It's tough though.

I thought I already spend a lot of time sorting out my music, but I guess not enough. It really puts in perspective how much I really do get paid per hour (not enough).
sixxx 1:20 AM - 19 August, 2007
Don't go with the flow... create your own.
AFR33K1000 5:59 AM - 19 August, 2007
^^^^^Thank you............and Holla back at that.

Kinda like American Colloquialism

"The costumer is always right".....

Fuck that if, you don't like it, get the fuck out my restaurant.
DJ Sniffles 6:33 AM - 19 August, 2007
my friend kinda went big time......but his method to his madness was....

when he was playin at the club he was practicing. that was his practice. and he would do these long sets that had the other djs in the booth like..... WOAH.

well since we were good friends i asked him. where do you come with this stuff when ur playin

he simply said: I juss wing it. I dont know what i'm gonna play when i get there, i'm just gonna play what i feel goes good with whatever i'm playing at the time. sometimes i'll prepare 2 tracks in advance but thats when i gotta piss in the beer bottle. juss wing it dude, its so much more fun. and if u fuck up....fuck it dude most likely you'll be the only one who knows. u and the other dj.

i remember when he said that, then whenever i played, i juss winged it. i have 370GB of music to mess with so its easy for me to do so i guess....but yea man, its way more fun
AFR33K1000 6:52 AM - 19 August, 2007
True that ;)
j cal 10:34 AM - 19 August, 2007
I need to frick'n know my library a lot better than I already do. I'm sure some might agree
Audio1 11:47 AM - 19 August, 2007
big difference I notice between club gigs and bar gigs is, bar gigs are far more chilled out than clubs as far as the music. I recently picked up a bar gig in my old hometown and to my surprise, people liked 75-90bpms more than the higher tempo stuff... where as in the club, 90-120 works wonders.
DJ Overpour 8:17 PM - 24 September, 2007
Quote:
Faith No More - Epic. is a good song...just started rocking that one again....try it out!

T

Thats whats up!!
Psyko Logical 10:44 PM - 24 September, 2007
This is the way I do it, and I've NEVER played the same set twice.

First of all: TAG YOUR MUSIC!!! That's how you get to know your library better. Especialy BPM and KEY.

Aside from my normal crates, I keep smart playlists for each key, sorted by BPM. Now pick a song, any song (often this is determined by whatever the DJ before me was playing).

Now I can work my way through the circle of fifths (up or down). As I go through the keys, I'll work the tempo up slowly, so by the time I get back to the same key again, I'm in a whole new tempo range.

This system opened up a world of possibilities for me. I don't even look at my genre tags anymore most of the time. And every set is unique.

Something else I do when I practice is let some one else pick the songs for me using an extra monitor/mouse.

Hope this helps you out a little.
sopranosupasta 12:35 AM - 25 September, 2007
the way i do it is to never Review and clear but once a month I play one set, and leave them green. next week when i play, i dont play any of the green song(expect the current hits). do this for one month and then reset. this will keep you fresh......

and if you play multiple shows every week like most of us. I play the same set at the second show of the week that i played at the first.

I dunno, it works for me.
Logisticalstyles 12:28 PM - 25 September, 2007
I used to do clubs but this year I got a bar gig. The same people are always there and they always request the same songs over and over. What makes matters worse is that when your in a bar there is no DJ booth, so your always really accesible to the crowd. It got to the point where I was playing Wipe Me Down 3 times in a 7 hour night. Or worse than that, try Crank That Soulja Boy 3 times in a night. I eventually started adding an old school set and the reggae set to mix it up. This only my sencond week with SSL, so I'll see how this makes a difference in my variety.