Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Enable beatgrids

goodguy 8:51 AM - 17 July, 2011
Noob question, but am I correct in saying only some controllers allow you to switch beatgrids on/off (looks like VCI300 does allow it, XoneDX doesn't?).
I can see the non-beatgridded sync (one-off snap to beat and copy the BPM) being occasionally handy but not sure that I'm really interested in full on beatgrids. Waiting for the Twitch so I accept we don't know the exact answer for that controller yet...

Chur.
selkie 2:13 PM - 18 July, 2011
There are people out there with their Twitch unit, maybe if you posted this question with a more meaningful topic title some of them could answer...
DJred24 12:02 AM - 19 July, 2011
There are people on here with Twitch ?
Hitman303 1:17 AM - 19 July, 2011
he meant there are people on here with intermittent eyelid spasms
selkie 1:19 AM - 19 July, 2011
Quote:
he meant there are people on here with intermittent eyelid spasms

hahahaha

Quote:
There are people on here with Twitch ?

yes, the reviewers
goodguy 4:15 AM - 19 July, 2011
Thanks selkie, I think I've answered the latter part of my own question looking through the 2.0 manual - in short I was wondering if you could match BPMs AND snap-sync to the nearest beat WITHOUT then having Itch attempt to lock beatgrids ongoing. It looks like not (you either have beatgrids on and it Beat Syncs on those, or you have auto-tempo which won't snap to the nearest beat)...
selkie 3:03 PM - 19 July, 2011
what is the diference for you between snaping to the nearest beat and locking the beatgrid?
marcA 4:23 PM - 19 July, 2011
locking the beatgrid is simply making sure nothing will be changed, so reanalysing will not replace the grid...
selkie 7:36 PM - 19 July, 2011
Quote:
locking the beatgrid is simply making sure nothing will be changed, so reanalysing will not replace the grid...

I think goodguy wasn't talking about that kind of locking...
goodguy 10:10 PM - 19 July, 2011
Quote:
what is the diference for you between snaping to the nearest beat and locking the beatgrid?

Thanks for the help.
Snapping to beat: One-off line-up of closest transients and then just let each track play "on it's own"
Locking beatgrid: Ongoing line-up of beatgrids, keeping them constantly in sync

I will occasionally want to do the first, to automatically get a new track in line, but I'm not really interested in setting ongoing beatgrids so they may not be in the right place and I therefore don't want Itch to try and line-up beatgrids ongoing.

Sorry, this may be a really obvious question once you spend some time with Itch but my couple of plays on a VCI-300 years ago I didn't use any form of syncing! Either way I'm getting one so can just wait and see and happy to manually beatmatch if necessary...