DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Whatever happened to our $50 1.8 upgrade?!

kev_the_dj 6:15 PM - 7 August, 2007
It's now a $200 upgrade for 1.8?! Since when?

Oh and BTW, in case anyone has yet to find out, it's expected to be released in 30-60 days time.

And if this has been brought up before, here's the new iMac.

www.engadget.com
Los Angeles Grooveworks. 6:21 PM - 7 August, 2007
$200.00 WTF.....Better start saving my pennies. shit and im still saving for my lappy..DAMMM SERATO
StevenWayne 6:22 PM - 7 August, 2007
Quote:
It's now a $200 upgrade for 1.8?! Since when?

Oh and BTW, in case anyone has yet to find out, it's expected to be released in 30-60 days time.

And if this has been brought up before, here's the new iMac.

www.engadget.com

this is the first i'm hearing of this....is this solid info??
Los Angeles Grooveworks. 6:23 PM - 7 August, 2007
btw...where did ya hear the $ was now $200.00 i want proof..damit!
allenbina 6:23 PM - 7 August, 2007
the rane folks never told us anything. it was all rumor and speculation.
s42000 6:30 PM - 7 August, 2007
I thought $50ish was supposed to the the Pn'T plugin .....
Konix 6:34 PM - 7 August, 2007
allenbina 6:35 PM - 7 August, 2007
heresay
JayB1200 6:36 PM - 7 August, 2007
Quote:
I thought $50ish was supposed to the the Pn'T plugin .....

thats what i thought...
Los Angeles Grooveworks. 6:38 PM - 7 August, 2007
fuck this dude...don't know jack. i won't belive it till someone from rane/serato confirms $200.00
a-swift 6:38 PM - 7 August, 2007
Whatever it is, whatever the cost. You cats will pay it. Gladly. At least the cats who want to do video. Ever price a pair of DVJs? Yeah, that's what I thought.
s42000 6:39 PM - 7 August, 2007
Quote:
heresay

+1
JayB1200 6:39 PM - 7 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
heresay

+1

+ another 1
a-swift 6:41 PM - 7 August, 2007
did you mean: heresy
Los Angeles Grooveworks. 6:41 PM - 7 August, 2007
Quote:
Whatever it is, whatever the cost. You cats will pay it. Gladly. At least the cats who want to do video. Ever price a pair of DVJs? Yeah, that's what I thought.
ohh i'll pay it..if and only if they confirm it's that price..but i doubt it will be that high.
Thundercat 6:44 PM - 7 August, 2007
In the above linked thread, it does NOT say 1.8 will be $200 *sigh* WTF happened to reading comprehension...
Konix 6:48 PM - 7 August, 2007
Yes, video will cost, not 1.8.
kev_the_dj 6:49 PM - 7 August, 2007
In that linked thread above, the guy works as the webmaster for Audiolines, and the guys from Serato come by the Audiolines shop to show off Serato and stuff. The guy is very reliable. And usually the stuff he says about products are true.
Los Angeles Grooveworks. 6:49 PM - 7 August, 2007
Quote:
1.8 will be free. video support will be a $199.99 upgrade

Audiolines.com
ok dosn't say 1.8 will be $200.00 but dose state video support upgrade will be?
Los Angeles Grooveworks. 6:51 PM - 7 August, 2007
ok what dose video upgrade mean then? new hardwear but $200.00 comon now!!
StevenWayne 6:55 PM - 7 August, 2007
i dont care how much it'll cost......i wanna know the eta for the launch!
Thundercat 6:55 PM - 7 August, 2007
1.8 ≠ video support

Search the forum for information on the video plug-in. It is a separate program for use in conjunction with Scratch Live.
De LA 6:59 PM - 7 August, 2007
200 bucks is nothing for the ability to spin video. Go spend over 6k on a DVJ, mixer,3 lcd screens set up and then cry.
dirtbag filthy 7:02 PM - 7 August, 2007
question is will bars/clubs/promoters pay more because you have video??

personally just gimme midi and ill be happy...if i have to collect videos and edit it i'll have no life..i already have enough on my hands with music
a-swift 7:04 PM - 7 August, 2007
Quote:

yes, usually about double. sometimes more. the only cats i know right now getting $3k+ a night are djs who spin video. i mean other than superstar djs.
dirtbag filthy 7:06 PM - 7 August, 2007
nice....i guess kinda insulting

ohhhhh we have video now we djs are worth something lol
Skeyelab 7:11 PM - 7 August, 2007
Quote:
fuck this dude...don't know jack. i won't belive it till someone from rane/serato confirms $200.00

Eric from Audiolines here.
i have pictures of 1.8 working with the $200 video plugin.

it will infact be $200
StevenWayne 7:11 PM - 7 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

yes, usually about double. sometimes more. the only cats i know right now getting $3k+ a night are djs who spin video. i mean other than superstar djs.

dizzam! $3k per night?? now, the question is.....are there many clubs in our area, ready and set up (screens and stuff) for us video dj's?
Skeyelab 7:15 PM - 7 August, 2007
at $3000 a night you can afford to bring 2 of your own lcd screens on stands
Dj Ryme 7:18 PM - 7 August, 2007
I've only seen a few clubs that are set up good enough for video..... then you gotta hope that you are able to plug into ALL of the screens.
tig ol' bitties 7:25 PM - 7 August, 2007
I can see video being sort of counter productive...

if you think about it, whats the going rate for a DJ out in Hollywood?? from what I see on this forum you cant get anymore then 150.
Boston I'd say 200-250 and in most cases promoters dont even like paying that much.

Do people really think Video is something that will realistically be accepted by alot of clubs and promoters?? (well ones that dont already have it already I mean)

Like Sweezy is saying dudes are getting 3 G a night for their video setup. How many clubs or promotors are really going to fork out that much loot just for something to be on the walls??

I think clubs set up for video will be few and far between.
Los Angeles Grooveworks. 7:30 PM - 7 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Eric from Audiolines here.
i have pictures of 1.8 working with the $200 video plugin.

it will infact be $200

ok
Quote:
i won't belive it till someone from rane/serato confirms $200.00

#1 are you from rane/serato
Answer=NO
#2 so you cannot confirm
Answer=Yes

sorry bro not knockin you but i have to get confermation from a rane/serato employee.
De LA 7:33 PM - 7 August, 2007
its all based on the size of your club. A club that holds 100-200 people may not pay out 3k for a video dj...even if they are set up for it. maybe along the lines of 1k. Just depends how much they feel its worth it.
Skeyelab 7:38 PM - 7 August, 2007
Quote:

#1 are you from rane/serato
Answer=NO
#2 so you cannot confirm
Answer=Yes

sorry bro not knockin you but i have to get confermation from a rane/serato employee.

fair enough. start saving
DjWoody 7:39 PM - 7 August, 2007
All 3 of the clubs I play at right now are set up for Video. They make a big deal about it, but honestly, none of them actually play music videos. One has a full Pioneer set up. DVJ's, monitors, etc. But I've yet to see a DJ use it.

The other two, have a video system installed. One club brings a guest DJ once in a while, but I noticed that no one really cares for the video. The crowd don't pay attention to it. There's gotta be a way to drive the crowd's attention to the big screens without making them stop dancing. hmmmm
Skeyelab 7:40 PM - 7 August, 2007
LA Grooveworks, it doesnt really apply to you anyway since you must have a TTM57
DjWoody 7:42 PM - 7 August, 2007
Eric, I have a question. Since you said you need Midi, does that mean that the video plugin can technically work with the DJM800?
nik39 7:42 PM - 7 August, 2007
Matt G's comment:

scratchlive.net
Skeyelab 7:43 PM - 7 August, 2007
being an authorized dealer, and having the rane factory rep just leave my office with serato 1.8, who just showed it to me, and having a printed price list in front of me, i think i am a fairly reliable source
Skeyelab 7:44 PM - 7 August, 2007
Quote:
Eric, I have a question. Since you said you need Midi, does that mean that the video plugin can technically work with the DJM800?

1.8 supports midi from all midi controllers.

i am not sure how the video plugin responds to midi.
a-swift 7:45 PM - 7 August, 2007
most of the clubs i spin at and some of the bars are fully setup for video, with a video feed dangling in the dj booth. i've done lots of nights where i spin with video. i'd be spinning with video 2 times this weekend if i were happy enough with my video rig. i'm not, so i'll be using serato, audio only.
AdamJay 7:45 PM - 7 August, 2007
We're set up for video at Therapy Nightclub & Lounge.

with a TTM57SL, Cams, Monitors, Modul8, Edirol V4, two projectors in the big room, a 42" LCD TV in the lounge.. 66.221.205.118

we'll def be investing in the video plug-in, but i'll be curious as to how its licensed/authorized.
In the past SSL was always free from a software standpoint (anyone can DL it), as it required the hardware to be used. Now they're charging for the video plug-in, is this going to be available on an iLok like they're other software plugins ?
De LA 7:47 PM - 7 August, 2007
Audiolines is very on-point with their info. Probably one of the only places I would really trust to buy from locally in chicago.
s42000 7:48 PM - 7 August, 2007
I hope no ilok ..... I have a hard time keeping up with my Logic xSKey and it is ....
KaGeN 7:48 PM - 7 August, 2007
and we wait some more....
Skeyelab 7:48 PM - 7 August, 2007
no ilok needed, as your ttm57 is a good enough dongle
Thundercat 7:51 PM - 7 August, 2007
Quote:
you must have a TTM57

INITIALLY the video plugin will be released for the 57 only. SL1 implementation will be later (not never).
a-swift 7:52 PM - 7 August, 2007
Quote:
I hope no ilok ..... I have a hard time keeping up with my Logic xSKey and it is ....

freaking terrified that i will lose my logic dongle.
KaGeN 7:53 PM - 7 August, 2007
interesting, swift has an Achilles heel
a-swift 7:54 PM - 7 August, 2007
Quote:
interesting, swift has an Achilles heel

it's my kryptonite yo! fear of dongle loss.
Skeyelab 7:56 PM - 7 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
you must have a TTM57

INITIALLY the video plugin will be released for the 57 only. SL1 implementation will be later (not never).

that i didnt know. mike may did not say anything about the sl1
KaGeN 7:58 PM - 7 August, 2007
thanks for the pics, every time I see a new screenshotit's different looking - that one being the most practical of the bunch.
Skeyelab 8:00 PM - 7 August, 2007
thats the one that works and is being released ;)
s42000 8:00 PM - 7 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

freaking terrified that i will lose my logic dongle.

Good to know I am not the only one :-) Misery loves company.
s42000 8:01 PM - 7 August, 2007
Quote:
thats the one that works and is being released ;)

When ??
s42000 8:01 PM - 7 August, 2007
.... 30-60 day windows is too broad ..
Skeyelab 8:02 PM - 7 August, 2007
i wish i had a better window. whenever they finish beta testing.
a-swift 8:05 PM - 7 August, 2007
looks like the leaopard release time rumours will turn out to be true.
AdamJay 8:06 PM - 7 August, 2007
Quote:
no ilok needed, as your ttm57 is a good enough dongle

so will there be a challenge/response authorization system for the software plug-in?

or will authorizations be tied to specific 57's?

i'm just trying to get a handle on how this will all work. I have a 57 at home, and i have one at work. I'd like to use both with video (obviously not at the same time).
KaGeN 8:06 PM - 7 August, 2007
we all got better accuracy with lawn jarts
www.sfgate.com
Skeyelab 8:10 PM - 7 August, 2007
as far as details on how the installation will work, ia m sure the plugin will ship with an installation manual
CMOS 8:12 PM - 7 August, 2007
Skeyelab done opened a bigass can of worms.
DJBlisk 8:12 PM - 7 August, 2007
Quote:
All 3 of the clubs I play at right now are set up for Video. They make a big deal about it, but honestly, none of them actually play music videos. One has a full Pioneer set up. DVJ's, monitors, etc. But I've yet to see a DJ use it.

The other two, have a video system installed. One club brings a guest DJ once in a while, but I noticed that no one really cares for the video. The crowd don't pay attention to it. There's gotta be a way to drive the crowd's attention to the big screens without making them stop dancing. hmmmm

I still don't see the point of video unless its a special performance DJ or something. I don't know Woody... People got o clubs to dance, talk, and hookup....
AdamJay 8:13 PM - 7 August, 2007
im not talking about installation, im talking about authorization. theres a difference.
CMOS 8:13 PM - 7 August, 2007
I can see it being big in the Extasy clubs, but anytime i seen a video rig i swear that shit gives me a headache after like 15 min.
Skeyelab 8:13 PM - 7 August, 2007
not i, OP was kev_the_dj.

i just came to back up my facts
Skeyelab 8:14 PM - 7 August, 2007
i also dont know how the authorization will work, as it was already installed on him computer. i would imagine some sort of challenge/response
a-swift 8:16 PM - 7 August, 2007
Quote:
I still don't see the point of video unless its a special performance DJ or something. I don't know Woody... People got o clubs to dance, talk, and hookup....

c'mon blisk, you spin at sutra. when kris p. spins at sutra its dope as hell when it's on all the video screens. people dig it and it raises the bar quite a bit. it creates a cool atmosphere. people aren't "watching" the videos but it adds the atmosphere. tentation, fury. same thing. all three of OCs hottest clubs have major investment in VIDEO. thats a fact.
tig ol' bitties 8:16 PM - 7 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
you must have a TTM57

what within the 57 allows for video that SL1 doesnt?
nik39 8:17 PM - 7 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
you must have a TTM57

Uhm, almost anything like...

the crossfader to fade video
any controls to control any video specific stuff if there are any.
KaGeN 8:18 PM - 7 August, 2007
SWIFT !!!! stop it, let them hate.
a-swift 8:18 PM - 7 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
you must have a TTM57

the 57 sends signals to your computer when you move buttons and faders. those movements can control the crossfading of the video and other video effects. sl-1 cant do that.
tig ol' bitties 8:19 PM - 7 August, 2007
ok, looking at the back of the 57 it looks pretty idential to the 56 minus the XLR. what would the video plug-in, plug into? would it be essentially the same as just pluggin in monitors?

I have zero clue about video as you can see. :)
Skeyelab 8:20 PM - 7 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
you must have a TTM57

midi data from the faders, rotary encoders and from the eqs
dirtbag filthy 8:20 PM - 7 August, 2007
midi dude
a-swift 8:21 PM - 7 August, 2007
Quote:
ok, looking at the back of the 57 it looks pretty idential to the 56 minus the XLR. what would the video plug-in, plug into? would it be essentially the same as just pluggin in monitors?

video does not plug into the mixer. it plugs into the video output on your laptop. check it out,... you can hook a TV up to your laptop son!
Skeyelab 8:21 PM - 7 August, 2007
Quote:

the video comes out of the video ports on your computer, ie monitor or video out
tig ol' bitties 8:25 PM - 7 August, 2007
I see.
ok thanks for the clarification gents.
a-swift 8:25 PM - 7 August, 2007
Quote:

oh i'm gonna let em hate. more $$ for me. when they finally figure out they are gonna have to break down and do video,.. i'll be light years ahead of em.
tig ol' bitties 8:27 PM - 7 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

oh i'm gonna let em hate. more $$ for me. when they finally figure out they are gonna have to break down and do video,.. i'll be light years ahead of em.

so how many people would use the 1.8 beta live in a club? or would everyone wait for the final?
a-swift 8:32 PM - 7 August, 2007
Quote:
so how many people would use the 1.8 beta live in a club?

[swift puts one up in the sky]
KaGeN 8:32 PM - 7 August, 2007
beta SSL is better than buggy VDJ 24/7 !!!!!
KaGeN 8:32 PM - 7 August, 2007
video sucks....
s42000 8:32 PM - 7 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

the video comes out of the video ports on your computer, ie monitor or video out

The video plugin is software just like PNT .... installed on your PC in addition to SSL.
Both can be included in the SSL download but only activated by a dongle or by activation key. I dont think 57 owners will get this automatically.
s42000 8:33 PM - 7 August, 2007
Thosu initially a 57 will be required to be able to use the video ability.
s42000 8:34 PM - 7 August, 2007
EDIT : *Though initially*
tig ol' bitties 8:36 PM - 7 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
so how many people would use the 1.8 beta live in a club?

[swift puts one up in the sky]

LMAO! u kill me homey
DJBlisk 8:37 PM - 7 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

c'mon blisk, you spin at sutra. when kris p. spins at sutra its dope as hell when it's on all the video screens. people dig it and it raises the bar quite a bit. it creates a cool atmosphere. people aren't "watching" the videos but it adds the atmosphere. tentation, fury. same thing. all three of OCs hottest clubs have major investment in VIDEO. thats a fact.

No.. No.. I understand how dope it could be and what not. But I don't know how big of a difference it would make if it wasn't a special performance...

I gotta come out to see one of you guys do this next time. thats for sure.
dirtbag filthy 8:37 PM - 7 August, 2007
video sucks

psssst kagen can i copy your HD full of videos
Dj Ryme 8:56 PM - 7 August, 2007
I'll be doing video and im gonna do it for $100 a night and fuck up all the guys out there doing it now ;)
KaGeN 8:57 PM - 7 August, 2007
pssssttt--- hell fuck no
KaGeN 8:57 PM - 7 August, 2007
Ryme will fit easily in my trunk.. nothing to see here. move along.
Dj Ryme 9:00 PM - 7 August, 2007
And im making videos out of all 10,000 of my crooklynclan mash-ups!!!! oh yeaaaah I cant wait!!!
StevenWayne 9:02 PM - 7 August, 2007
Quote:
beta SSL is better than buggy VDJ 24/7 !!!!!

totally! i got retired vdj vinyl for you still, i'll be in oc this weekend
dirtbag filthy 9:02 PM - 7 August, 2007
haa now you not only have to listen to fat man scoop tell you to throw ya hands in the air ya gotta see his ugly ass to
s42000 9:04 PM - 7 August, 2007
^^^ I now hate video ... that visual is not very good.
nik39 9:05 PM - 7 August, 2007
Quote:
^^^ I now hate video ... that visual is not very good.

Dito :)
CMOS 9:09 PM - 7 August, 2007
Would a microwave Video DJ be called a betamax?
D-Twizzle 9:53 PM - 7 August, 2007
Quote:
so how many people would use the 1.8 beta live in a club? or would everyone wait for the final?

I'll play out with it immediately. I'll invite anyone in the area to come watch too.

$200 cash in hand, ready to buy! I got 2 57's tho so I might need to spend $400 but I don't care.
KaGeN 9:55 PM - 7 August, 2007
Actually Twizzle's gonna buy the first one.... and then we'll make a crack for it and then we'll all have it.
a-swift 9:59 PM - 7 August, 2007
i'll be second in line with my $200
D-Twizzle 10:03 PM - 7 August, 2007
I see in that picture, they have it installed on an HP laptop. Hopefully they can release the system reqs soon. I have a feeling it will run on lower spec machines that VDJ couldn't run video with. img262.imageshack.us
KaGeN 10:06 PM - 7 August, 2007
custom topped 57 in that pick too
D-Twizzle 10:09 PM - 7 August, 2007
yeah, i've seen that before. Mike Mays brought that out to Platinum Records when Shortcut did a demo.
Los Angeles Grooveworks. 11:04 PM - 7 August, 2007
Quote:
LA Grooveworks, it doesnt really apply to you anyway since you must have a TTM57
Quote:
yep!!
Los Angeles Grooveworks. 11:08 PM - 7 August, 2007
Quote:
Matt G's comment:

scratchlive.net
and aha!!! thanks nik
Skeyelab 11:09 PM - 7 August, 2007
Quote:
I see in that picture, they have it installed on an HP laptop. Hopefully they can release the system reqs soon. I have a feeling it will run on lower spec machines that VDJ couldn't run video with. img262.imageshack.us

yeah, i took that pic today, its mike mays' laptop and 57 with jazzy jay faceplate on the 57
Skeyelab 11:11 PM - 7 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Matt G's comment:

scratchlive.net
and aha!!! thanks nik

thats a statement about it costing $700, and was stated on July 27, 2007, 11:13 AM.

Today, August 7, the news direct from Mike Mays' mouth was $199.99
nik39 11:18 PM - 7 August, 2007
Well, if Mike May said so - then that is the price I assume.

I always thought that it was just software downloadable in Serato's online store, for a lot less. However, I personally think 200$ is the price I would pay for it.
nik39 11:21 PM - 7 August, 2007
What I meant was ... I think it is a fair price.
Los Angeles Grooveworks. 11:29 PM - 7 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Matt G's comment:

scratchlive.net
and aha!!! thanks nik

thats a statement about it costing $700, and was stated on July 27, 2007, 11:13 AM.

Today, August 7, the news direct from Mike Mays' mouth was $199.99
ok fine $200.00 then i also said i would pay for it. damm but i really think that's kinda high for a dl program. has serato taken any steps to prevent pirate copy's hitting torrent site's..not that id ever think of ilegaly downloading it.
nik39 11:50 PM - 7 August, 2007
I still think the last word has not been spoken on the price.

scratchlive.net
Sam:

Quote:
Sorry to contradict you melny, but 1.8 will be free :)

We will be charging for the video add-on, but we don't have a finalized price yet (it won't be $100)

Technically... he just said it is not $100, which could mean, it is more or less, just not exactly $100. But I understand this as "it wont be more than $100".

Personally, I still think $200 is adequate.
Los Angeles Grooveworks. 11:53 PM - 7 August, 2007
no think less nik :-P
KaGeN 11:54 PM - 7 August, 2007
I think we've heard enough enough bullshit from ALL the reps... just put it on the market for christs sake.

Regardless of price, one of the many nerds among us will eventually hack that shit if the price point is out of control.
NotoriousM.I.T. 11:54 PM - 7 August, 2007
Quote:

it looks like he's running it on a celeron processor too... look at the logo next to the windows sticker
DJDFECT 12:05 AM - 8 August, 2007
i've got THAT pioneer video rig, and im still excited to put it on a shelf and use serato with my technic's. Hurry with the update!!!!
Dj Sparky 1:37 AM - 8 August, 2007
i think there the 200 could be accurate, as no mods have commented on the matter , and lets be honest who is going to buy a video plugin?, only little kids who see it as a great feature, the video pro's all use hardware i.e. the dvj's
allenbina 2:00 AM - 8 August, 2007
Quote:
i think there the 200 could be accurate, as no mods have commented on the matter , and lets be honest who is going to buy a video plugin?, only little kids who see it as a great feature, the video pro's all use hardware i.e. the dvj's

that was almost as dumb as saying, real pros only use records.
AdamJay 2:09 AM - 8 August, 2007
yea, the fact is most of those using DVJ's are really looking forward to the plug-in.
Kenny Q 2:15 AM - 8 August, 2007
Quote:
I can see video being sort of counter productive...

Do people really think Video is something that will realistically be accepted by alot of clubs and promoters??

Like Sweezy is saying dudes are getting 3 G a night for their video setup. How many clubs or promotors are really going to fork out that much loot just for something to be on the walls??

I think clubs set up for video will be few and far between.

Clubs?

I haven't worked in a nightclub since the 80's.

Video will do very well with Bar and Bat Mitzvahs. That is why I bought two ttm57s.

I hope that I can switch between the two computers with the Pioneer VSW-1.

I'm not ready to convert dvds. Hopefully someone will PM me with a good deal for them.
DJMark 2:17 AM - 8 August, 2007
$200 (if that's what it is) seems completely reasonable given:

1) the R&D that is necessary to create this kind of software;

2) the QA testing that is necessary to make sure it works to professional standards;

3) the longstanding policy Serato has had of not charging for software updates.
nik39 2:25 AM - 8 August, 2007
4) outstanding support has to be paid somehow.
Deejay Z 3:12 AM - 8 August, 2007
When i called, i think Zach from Serato he said it would be $100, now unless things have changed since last month, which could very well be true.........im thinkin 100ish

P.S.
It seems funny that a serato video plugin would be more expensive than leapord at $129 bucks haha
dj_blueprint 3:31 AM - 8 August, 2007
$200. Whatever, start saving holmes.
musiclee 3:40 AM - 8 August, 2007
i don't need or want video

just midi, and i'd pay $200 for that alone

but i don't have to :-)
AdamJay 5:17 AM - 8 August, 2007
its obvious some of you aren't used to PAYING for software.

compared to the Serato companies other plug-ins... such as the Rane Series Graphic EQ TDM plug-in which runs between $500 and $700 depending where you buy it..

this ain't shiiiiiiiittttt
jdub 5:26 AM - 8 August, 2007
i agree, if you want to spin video this is absolutely nothing... to be a legit dj it cost a pretty penny... until now, to be a legit vj was damn near ridiculously expensive. $200 (and a 57) is cheap if you wanna vj. if you don't, dl 1.8 for free...

i told ya'll it would be close to the release of leopard. still curious to see how the mac side works as the pictures from Skeyelab were on a PC.
DJMark 2:08 PM - 8 August, 2007
Quote:
i told ya'll it would be close to the release of leopard. still curious to see how the mac side works as the pictures from Skeyelab were on a PC.

I think it's pretty clear Leopard has nothing to do with it, as previous demonstrations have been done on Macs...many months ago now.

Amusing to see those people on the other board complaining about $200, amongst other idiotic comments. Enough said.
Deejay Z 4:50 PM - 8 August, 2007
im down with paying $200 or shit even 5 bills, i was just stating that rumors have been flying.....
Los Angeles Grooveworks. 6:10 PM - 8 August, 2007
curious,
if i buy a A&H xone3D. would i be able to run the video plug in through that mixer using the sl1 sine the 3D is a midi control unit also. that would put another plus in buying the 3D for me.
can't really do what i want to do with the ttm57. not enough channels.
s42000 6:21 PM - 8 August, 2007
I think the video plugin requires a 57. Video for the SL-1 is ways down the road.
Kenny Q 7:06 PM - 8 August, 2007
Quote:

.... can't really do what i want to do with the ttm57. not enough channels.

For the same price of an Xone 3D you can buy two TTM57s and have 4 channels.
LukeSun 10:11 PM - 8 August, 2007
but the xone 3D is buggy
Los Angeles Grooveworks. 12:27 AM - 9 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

.... can't really do what i want to do with the ttm57. not enough channels.

For the same price of an Xone 3D you can buy two TTM57s and have 4 channels.
You know what!! very true never thought about that. but the problem being you can't sync both mixers together via some sort of midi clock or syncquencer. "I THINK". please correct me if im wrong..also will you be able to trigger applications (in abeltonLIVE) once serato goes midi..shit im new to this midi thing don't know shit..so please bare with me if i sound like a idiot about this..

Quote:
but the xone 3D is buggy

What do you mean buggy? could you elaborate. Thanks
Los Angeles Grooveworks. 12:30 AM - 9 August, 2007
Sorry typo on this
Quote:
also will you be able to trigger applications (in abeltonLIVE) once serato goes midi

Ment to say..also will you be able to trigger applications (in abeltonLIVE) once serato goes midi on the ttm57
nik39 12:32 AM - 9 August, 2007
While we're at typos... its called Ableton Live.
KaGeN 12:36 AM - 9 August, 2007
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say, sure why not.
Kenny Q 12:36 AM - 9 August, 2007
I don't know much about midi either.

I have 2 TTM57 mixers.
I have one mixer's output plugged into the Aux Input on the other mixer.

I've been using two systems plugged into each other for years (you'll never know when a computer acts up on you).

I'm hoping to use a video switcher between my computers for 4 channels of video.

-Kenny Q
KaGeN 12:40 AM - 9 August, 2007
Kenny Q you're disappointing me man.... look at the back of you mixer, how many video outs do you have? hmm... ZERO

video is all handled on the laptop man ALL OF IT... unless you run some other program or appliance.
Kenny Q 12:44 AM - 9 August, 2007
Quote:
Kenny Q you're disappointing me man.... look at the back of you mixer, how many video outs do you have? hmm... ZERO

video is all handled on the laptop man ALL OF IT... unless you run some other program or appliance.

Nah man,
You plug each laptop into the switcher.
KaGeN 12:46 AM - 9 August, 2007
Ya, I'm with ya on that tip.. that's 2 video feeds .. how are you going to make sense of 4 channels of video in to one output feed?
dj cubicle 12:47 AM - 9 August, 2007
Well, now that he has taught his son to DJ, I'm sure there's time to teach him about electronics. ;-)
Kenny Q 12:50 AM - 9 August, 2007
I'm hoping that I can plug both computers into something like the Pioneer VSW-1.

I'm not hip into video yet but I think that it should work.
KaGeN 12:53 AM - 9 August, 2007
ya..... NOOOOOOT that's based on a Pioneer cross fader or manual.

try a Edirol V4 product which will give you effects to work with as you merge 2 feeds. be sitting when you look at those price tags.
Kenny Q 12:57 AM - 9 August, 2007
I'm not going to worry about it until I'm good an ready for 4 channels of video.

I'm sure that something will be available soon (and for less $$).
Kenny Q 12:59 AM - 9 August, 2007
Look at the picture on the Pioneer website.
It shows a picture of the back of the unit.

Looks like it would work.
KaGeN 1:11 AM - 9 August, 2007
I get that it will switch the video by flashing it over from A to B. And the quality will be better than a radio shack one, but as I stated you will not be able to merge the feeds smoothly.

I basing this off your first statement of "I'm hoping to use a video switcher between my computers for 4 channels of video."

From a single Searto Video setup you could have 2 feeds merged to togather. Adding the second system with that a/b swither you're still maxed out at 2 at a time from the other setup. I'm offering a solution where you could merge 2 son feeds + 2 father video feeds with the Edirol get your stated 4 channels at the same time.
Kenny Q 1:26 AM - 9 August, 2007
That's not what I was thinking.

I can use computer A to mix a song and say the second channel freezes. With the switcher, I can switch to Computer B and continue.

Also
Say I have certain songs ready on computer A and all of a sudden I change my mind and want to put in a quick video without disturbing what I currently have on computer A. All I have to do is do a quick switch and play that song off computer B.

As you can see. I don't really know what I'm getting into but it seems like it will work.

:-)
dj cubicle 1:30 AM - 9 August, 2007
^ +2 mad scientist points
Kenny Q 1:32 AM - 9 August, 2007
Quote:

From a single Searto Video setup you could have 2 feeds merged to togather. Adding the second system with that a/b swither you're still maxed out at 2 at a time from the other setup. I'm offering a solution where you could merge 2 son feeds + 2 father video feeds with the Edirol get your stated 4 channels at the same time.

Oh, I get it. This way I can have smooth transitions between all 4 channels (I use Serato for channels 1 to 2 and 3 to 4. I use editrol for channels 1 to 3, 2 to 3, 1 to 4 or 2 to 4).

With the Pioneer I can only have smooth transitions between the two channels of each computer but it will work if I need a to make a quick switch if a computer freezes.
Kenny Q 1:33 AM - 9 August, 2007
Thanks for helping me clear this up.

I didn't know what I was thinking.
D-Twizzle 2:25 AM - 9 August, 2007
Quote:
Oh, I get it. This way I can have smooth transitions between all 4 channels (I use Serato for channels 1 to 2 and 3 to 4. I use editrol for channels 1 to 3, 2 to 3, 1 to 4 or 2 to 4).
I don't think you get it. There's only 1 video output per laptop, not 2. You're going to use either the VGA output or the S-Video/Composite RCA output for the master video output. Think of it as your master audio output on your mixer. It's post fader already mixed.
KaGeN 4:00 AM - 9 August, 2007
Correct Kenny...
boabmatic 10:14 AM - 9 August, 2007
its official $199 is the cost... more details here...

scratchlive.net
ekwipt 12:18 PM - 9 August, 2007
Quote:
200 bucks is nothing for the ability to spin video. Go spend over 6k on a DVJ, mixer,3 lcd screens set up and then cry.

Exactly you guys are whiners if you think that's expensive
DJDFECT 2:18 PM - 9 August, 2007
Quote:

scratchlive.net

Hot find. Think it could maybe be released at the DJ convention next week...
Too bad I just purchased 2 SL1 boxes to do video, looks like I need to upgrade
Los Angeles Grooveworks. 9:19 PM - 9 August, 2007
ok so a mod spoke..now i belive
still think it to high for me right now..since im still trying to get my lappy..:-(
AdamJay 9:52 PM - 9 August, 2007
$199 is retail for the plug-in

you know how much retail is for the SL1? $729!
MAP (Min Advertised Price) is $539

TTM57SL Retail is $1799
i have yet to meet a person that paid more than $1450 for their 57. most have paid around $1200.

so im thinking we'll be able to score the video plug-in for $109-$149 if we look hard enough.
MusicMeister 10:02 PM - 9 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Exactly you guys are whiners if you think that's expensive

It's a little pricey for someone with an SL1 box wanting to make the move as they'll need a TTM57SL and the plug in.

For $300 I bought the Motion Dive Tokyo package from Edirol and it includes a midi controller!

While the motion dive package isn't designed for spinning videos (it's designed for visual artists) I've had great success with using it with ambient videos.

So $200 for the 'upgrade' to video? I think it's a little pricey... mainly because it relies on a $1400 mixer to make it work. When it comes out for the SL1 and we know the final 'STREET' price I may be changing my tune though.
a-swift 10:04 PM - 9 August, 2007
Quote:
For $300 I bought the Motion Dive Tokyo package from Edirol and it includes a midi controller!

and the RETAIL price of that rig is $500
Skeyelab 10:28 PM - 9 August, 2007
Quote:

scratchlive.net

bingo
Skeyelab 10:28 PM - 9 August, 2007
let the apologies start rolling in (j/k) ;)
a-swift 10:35 PM - 9 August, 2007
Quote:
let the apologies start rolling in (j/k) ;)

i don't care what the news posting says. it's still a rumour to me until i see it posted for sale at $199.
nik39 10:40 PM - 9 August, 2007
swift... what happened to you?
a-swift 10:41 PM - 9 August, 2007
Quote:
swift... what happened to you?

nothing happened to me. it's not real until i see it posted for real. a posting saying that it's gonna be posted soon is not a posting at all.
nik39 10:50 PM - 9 August, 2007
Are we talking about the same News thread where Sam said:

Quote:
Serato Video Scratch will be sold on-line at www.serato.com, and in stores where ever Scratch LIVE is sold. It will be available later this year, and will be sold at a recommend retail of US$199.
KaGeN 10:50 PM - 9 August, 2007
come-on ALREADY - sell that bitch!!!

I wanna get my O-Face on..

Watchwww.youtube.com
a-swift 10:55 PM - 9 August, 2007
Quote:
Are we talking about the same News thread where Sam said:

Quote:
Serato Video Scratch will be sold on-line at www.serato.com, and in stores where ever Scratch LIVE is sold. It will be available later this year, and will be sold at a recommend retail of US$199.

yeah nik39. i read all that in the same thread you read it in. in the news section. i'm not denying it's there. i'm denying it's real.
nik39 11:06 PM - 9 August, 2007
*raising eyebrowes* You are denying that it is real... Can you elaborate what you mean?
a-swift 11:10 PM - 9 August, 2007
Quote:
*raising eyebrowes* You are denying that it is real... Can you elaborate what you mean?

i'll admit it is real the day i see a video plugin posted on serato.com site for $199. i just looked. it's not there. it's not real.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 11:16 PM - 9 August, 2007
Quote:
come-on ALREADY - sell that bitch!!!

I wanna get my O-Face on..

Watchwww.youtube.com

LOL
KaGeN 11:19 PM - 9 August, 2007
fuck it - sell me that beta shit for $250!!!
cappinkirk 1:43 PM - 10 August, 2007
it references 1.8 as being semi-available. that makes me wonder whether it is real. I think they should specify that it is not available yet, since its in the news section it seems a little misleading (unless they are dropping 1.8 today but we're still not even on 1.7.3. yet so I doubt that will happen).

What you need
- Scratch LIVE version 1.8 (free upgrade for all Scratch LIVE users)
- TTM 57SL mixer
- The Serato Video Scratch plug-in
a-swift 4:06 PM - 10 August, 2007
Quote:
fuck it - sell me that beta shit for $250!!!

shaun. i'll give you $300 for the beta right now.
a-swift 4:07 PM - 10 August, 2007
Quote:
it references 1.8 as being semi-available. that makes me wonder whether it is real. I think they should specify that it is not available yet, since its in the news section it seems a little misleading (unless they are dropping 1.8 today but we're still not even on 1.7.3. yet so I doubt that will happen).

What you need
- TTM 57SL mixer

1.8 is a different fork, basically for the midi/video heads. this doesn't mean they won't continue the 1.7.x fork for those who have no use for midi or video. It's entirely possible that the two would co-exist for some time.
djoneswitch 8:44 PM - 10 August, 2007
QuickTime 7 System Requirements
(Macintosh)
400 MHz Power PC G3 or faster Macintosh computer
At least 128MB of RAM
Mac OS X v10.3.9, v10.4.9 or later
(Windows)
Pentium processor-base PC or compatible computer
At least 128MB of RAM
Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Vista

For viewing videos purchased from the iTunes Store:
(Macintosh)
1 GHz G4 processor or better
256MB RAM
16MB video RAM
QuickTime 7.1.3 or later
Mac OS X v10.3.9, v10.4.9 or later
(Windows)
2.0 GHz Pentium-class processor or better
512MB of RAM
32MB video RAM
QuickTime 7.1.3

For viewing 640x480 standard definition (SD) H.264 video:
(Windows)
2.0 GHz Intel Pentium class or better processor
At least 512MB of RAM
64MB or greater video card

Recommended Hardware Configurations for H.264 High-Definition (HD) Playback
To play high-definition video, a large amount of data must be processed by your computer. A powerful system will deliver the best playback experience.

For 852x480 (480p) video at 24 frames per second:
(Windows)
2.0 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or faster processor
At least 512MB of RAM

For 1280x720 (720p) video at 24-30 frames per second:
(Macintosh)
1.8 GHz PowerMac G5 or 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo or faster Macintosh computer
At least 256MB of RAM
64 MB or greater video card
(Windows)
2.8 GHz Pentium 4 or faster processor
At least 512MB of RAM

For 1920x1080 (1080p) video at 24 frames per second:
(Macintosh)
Dual 2.0 GHz PowerMac G5 or 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo or faster Macintosh computer
At least 512MB of RAM
128MB or greater video card
(Windows)
3.0 Ghz Intel Pentium D (dual-core) or faster processor
At least 1GB of RAM

These are the specs for the video engine. Laptops kick out about 1028 X 786 or higher. Am guesstimating this to be a good guidelines for SVS. Consider your running SVS,Win XP/Vista/Mac OS, background applications PLUS the actual video file. Yeah!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 11:04 PM - 10 August, 2007
Quote:

What you need
- TTM 57SL mixer

Cappin'
Your right, that wasn't completely clear. I changed it to "What you will need" as 1.8 is not out yet.

Quote:
1.8 is a different fork, basically for the midi/video heads. this doesn't mean they won't continue the 1.7.x fork for those who have no use for midi or video. It's entirely possible that the two would co-exist for some time.

1.8 will have plenty of stuff for people who aren't into midi or video. I'm pretty sure there will be something for everyone in 1.8.
dirtbag filthy 11:06 PM - 10 August, 2007
nice i like the sound of that...i amped on midi alone and we are getting more

sweeeeeeeet
soon-2-be-ex-FS2user 12:00 AM - 11 August, 2007
doing it for Torc anywho can knowing for a vidoe punction?
AdamJay 6:59 AM - 11 August, 2007
okay i'm all for tolerance of people who use english as a second language... but this is getting fucking ridiculous
2FAST4U 11:58 PM - 13 August, 2007
I think the guys that are rubbing the tears out of their eyes over $200 need to start looking at the cost of a good video collection. i have $5000 invested in dvds alone, mostly promo only and some store bought collections. the promo only vids are all good quality video/sound. alot of the dvds i bought from best buy or wallmart, the sound sucks. the other thing to think about is editing the vids. there are alot of vids with a break where there is a 30 second scene of talking or some other bullshit right in the middle of the track. That don't go over well with a packed dance floor.

I have been VJing with the Pioneer DVJ VSW-1 Switcher rig and a Edirol v4 for almost 2 years. I just hope you guys dont go out and download a bunch of low quality vids and bring the prices down. I am charging about $2000 and up a night for the video rig and 3 42" plasmas on a crankup truss system
marx 1:09 AM - 14 August, 2007
everyone will get a rude awakeing. gotta learn all over again.

as for the audio...yeah alot of it sucks...i remaster alot of them.

google mux & remux (fastest easiest way)
as long as the video is the exact same as the single.

but like 2fast4u said....the breaks in the middle....or the end of the song isn't there because it goes into another song.

This is something that a company like promoonly should be on top of (since its suppose to be for djs) but are not. this is y bootleggers start coming out with there own shit because the big wig companies don't know what the new demand is or the labels won't let it happen. but yet the djs want it. perfect example = mashups

mashups are alot bigger now of course due to the fact that everyone has a computer now & wants to produce...which is cool. I love good mashes.

but when a company like crooklyn tries to provide a service for djs (like video) which is the next thing...they can't. thats crap. anyone thats been djing for over 10 years know that those scarse party breaks were gold. I don't even know what i'm talking about anymore. just venting.
DjWoody 4:20 AM - 14 August, 2007
So when is Crooklyn Clan going to start making mashup videos? hahaha
D-Twizzle 4:45 AM - 14 August, 2007
I heard CC was trying to sell video mashups but got a cease and desist letter from some lawyers. Interesting they can sell music that they don't own the (copy)rights to, but not video.
CMOS 7:14 PM - 14 August, 2007
Crooklyn Clan audio is a gray area. Crooklyn Clan video is a beige area. Get it?
sixxx 7:16 PM - 14 August, 2007
Quote:
Crooklyn Clan audio is a gray area. Crooklyn Clan video is a beige area. Get it?

lol
djoneswitch 5:06 PM - 12 September, 2007
@ SERATO. So.....how will SVS installation work. I have 2 laptops and 1 TTM 57 and 1 SL1. When i buy a copy of SVS,am i limited to installing on one computer only.If i am using someones's 57 or smeone is using mine, will the video interface show up?
DJ Julius 5:14 PM - 12 September, 2007
so what do you use to rip the video for 1.8
The E Head 5:21 PM - 12 September, 2007
dvd decrypter
jdub 6:53 PM - 12 September, 2007
mac the ripper
sixxx 7:02 PM - 12 September, 2007
Quote:
mac the ripper

+1
DJ Julius 4:54 PM - 13 September, 2007
Thanks for the info I did use mac the ripper but once you rip it how can it be change to H.264 or other formats.
D-Twizzle 4:59 PM - 13 September, 2007
Super is a free program for PC that converts all popular formats to other formats. mpeg2 to divx, h.264, etc www.erightsoft.com
Kenny Q 5:01 PM - 13 September, 2007
Does Mac the Ripper and Super do a good job with Promo Only DVDs?
The E Head 7:39 AM - 14 September, 2007
Quote:
Thanks for the info I did use mac the ripper but once you rip it how can it be change to H.264 or other formats.

main concept
The E Head 7:39 AM - 14 September, 2007
^^^last time i checked it was only $500

Also available with ghetto discount;)
ekwipt 9:55 AM - 14 September, 2007
I've used Super, it's well super and free
DJ C-4 2:34 AM - 18 September, 2007
i spoke to the guy working the rane booth at the atlantic city dj expo and he confirmed the $200 price upgrade. he said it's due to be released in oct.
sixxx 2:49 AM - 18 September, 2007
October... nice... :)
anthracite98 5:02 AM - 18 September, 2007
so perhaps i missed this but i'm planning on buying the rane ssl mixer (already own 2 ssl units now, replacing one with the mixer). so basically i should wait until 1.8 comes out and then buy it as the price of the mixer wont likely go up right??
marknonsense1 6:08 AM - 18 September, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

dizzam! $3k per night?? now, the question is.....are there many clubs in our area, ready and set up (screens and stuff) for us video dj's?

more like 200 an hour, if they use your shit or 10% of the total cost of their set up + 200/HR so if you bring the dvj's your getting more then if you bring the 57sl & 1.8 but don't get me wrong I'll be the 1st to get it the sec. it comes out.
djcutson 10:45 AM - 22 September, 2007
hello i need the up date of serato 1.8 where is the link to get it
The E Head 11:03 AM - 22 September, 2007
Quote:
hello i need the up date of serato 1.8 where is the link to get it

[link removed]

there you go mate:)
Serato, Support
Matt G 12:38 PM - 22 September, 2007
The E Head, please, no more logout links.

djcutson, 1.8 has not been released yet as it is still in development. The latest released version is currently 1.7.2, with 1.7.4 coming out shortly. You can get 1.7.2 from the downloads page (www.scratchlive.net).
sopranosupasta 6:55 PM - 22 September, 2007
peep this.
Watchwww.youtube.com
(no logout)