Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

ns6 buttons , faders , rotary knobs . . . good quality or not???

benictrs 2:26 PM - 17 June, 2011
hi guys i'm looking forward in purchasing the ns6 , read the forum and all you are talking about is the cross fader and the platers witch i undrestand are of good quality ,. my question is for the guys who already own ns6 .What is your opinion about the fx mix fader ( onestly this is the one i dont trust when i look at the pics) , the chanel fader's ? they will definetly take some abuse (are they replaceble) , the rotary knobs ? the buttons ? and all the other things witch nobody seems to say anything about them , thx in advance for your anwers.

P.S. sorry for mu bad english.
Christophlex 3:02 PM - 17 June, 2011
I had issues with my play and hot cue buttons on my NS7. I traded it in for the Pioneer DDJ-S1. I don't know about the NS6 but if the buttons are the same quality as the NS7 don't do it. The Pioneer buttons are much better build then the NS7 buttons were.
Satsun 5:14 PM - 17 June, 2011
The buttons on the NS6 are much better than the NS7. Even the V7 seemed to have better buttons than the NS7. Numark knew the buttons needed to get better and went for a new type on the NS6. They're firm plastic rather than rubbery. The action is great--a nice click with little travel. I find it easy to cue point juggle on the NS6.
dj-Yann 5:35 PM - 17 June, 2011
Ns6 have very good Built quality ,I own mine since the 3 June and don't regret my choice .but the fx control is not as good as it was with my vestax vfx 1.the rest are for me the best quality for a controller
djcerla 5:41 PM - 17 June, 2011
Quote:
I had issues with my play and hot cue buttons on my NS7. I traded it in for the Pioneer DDJ-S1. I don't know about the NS6 but if the buttons are the same quality as the NS7 don't do it. The Pioneer buttons are much better build then the NS7 buttons were.

NS6 has totally different buttons.

Try this: play 10 minutes with the Traktor S1, then switch to the NS6. It's like HONDA--->Mercedes
djcerla 5:43 PM - 17 June, 2011
Quote:
Traktor S1

obviously, S4
benictrs 5:52 PM - 17 June, 2011
thx guys for the quick responses , i truly don't know what to do , i gues i will take my chance with the ns6 and hope for the best , anybody had bad experience with waranty and spare parts from numark ??? i know that faders , buttons and such are not object of the waranty but it would be good to know that i can take my ns6 in their service and they replace my worn faders , buttons , rotary knobs instead of teling me something like " oh that part is unreplacable for xxxxx reason " . I ask this because they refer only to the crosfader as beeing replecable :(
dj pesh 7:17 PM - 17 June, 2011
@benictrs. if you like the 2x CDJ1000/2000 1X Mixer i would suggest to buy the NS6, if you like 2X 1210's 1X Mixer then i would suggest NS7. I have had my NS6 for 7 days and its the best purchase i have made.
zanzibar1 8:36 PM - 17 June, 2011
Hey,

My NS7 buttons are pretty good. Glad to hear the NS6 has plastic buttons, cuz rubber sucks.

Are all buttons plastic of ns6??

One thing I will says is that when I took my NS7 to a local repair store for regular maintenance, they asked me for $598 to repair all buttons and faders...

They were prolly trying to rip me off, but as far as I know, if you can't fix things yourself, its gonna be pricey fixing the ns6 when it breaks.
prizo 3:25 AM - 28 June, 2011
I just got the ns6 and so far I absolutely hate the plastic buttons. It could be just a matter of getting used to since I am used to denons rubber buttons but they just feel junky and cheap. The response seems to lag but again could be cuz im used to demon. Am I the only one who feels this way?
Kenso 3:37 AM - 28 June, 2011
There is a whole thread on SSL dedicated to one dudes dislike of the plastic cue buttons on the 68. Saying he hates them because they dont always work for him.

Personally, I think I kinda like the hard plastic better (for the NS6 anyway). You get that little jolt feedback on your finger to let you know it has been pressed. Unlike the rubber buttons where you are guessing you pressed it, but dont know if anything really happened.

Havent gigged/practiced with it long enough to comment on durability, but it seems they put some effort into this little party machine. If you pull off the rotaries knobs, you can see how large the pots are. I dont know if thats necessarily a good thing, but I DO like the heavy weight of the unit. I dont know if its false reassurance, but it seems to be built pretty well.
prizo 11:32 AM - 28 June, 2011
I love the knobs and faders. Its just the buttons im concerned with. U don't feel like it takes more ffort to push buttons? Meaning slower response time. I was curious what others thought. These buttons replaceable if need be?
benictrs 1:25 PM - 28 June, 2011
if i remember corectly i saw a discusion about the buttons in the ns7 and the guy rezolved the problem replacing the buttons from his ns7 with pioneer cdj buttons, prehaps this would be a solution with the ns6 ??? (ofcourse after the original buttons wear out) it would be good to know this is posible from a technical point of view
ragga 7:20 AM - 22 October, 2011
Just broke my 2nd unit (NS6) The pitch bend button fell through the unit. Not once, but twice. Got to return it tomorrow before another gig. Love the layout and feel of the NS6. Feels solid, but the buttons are not as solid as the chasis. And Serato needs to get it together with Itch. Super unstable.... I've been using Scratch Live for 6 years. Itch and SL seem like they are from 2 completely different engineers using the same graphics. Why couldn't the NS6 be as solid as the V7's. Same layout but way less robust.
dameon B 4:24 PM - 22 October, 2011
Quote:
And Serato needs to get it together with Itch. Super unstable.... I've been using Scratch Live for 6 years. Itch and SL seem like they are from 2 completely different engineers using the same graphics.

+1
DJ Guido 12:12 PM - 23 October, 2011
i like the NS6 buttens..... i don't like the buttons from my NS7!
the buttons from the NS6 feel like plastic... but they are great!
DJ Guido 12:19 PM - 23 October, 2011
sorry for my english....i mean, i like the quick response from my new NS6
DJ Sidies 1:15 PM - 23 October, 2011
Quote:
Just broke my 2nd unit (NS6) The pitch bend button fell through the unit. Not once, but twice. Got to return it tomorrow before another gig. Love the layout and feel of the NS6. Feels solid, but the buttons are not as solid as the chasis. And Serato needs to get it together with Itch. Super unstable.... I've been using Scratch Live for 6 years. Itch and SL seem like they are from 2 completely different engineers using the same graphics. Why couldn't the NS6 be as solid as the V7's. Same layout but way less robust.
you must be to heavy handed on ur unit.
ragga 8:28 PM - 25 October, 2011
Not really heavy handed at all...The unit should be built better!!!! The buttons, if they were softer might be able to hold up better, The plastic doesn't give at all. Thinking I'd rather settle for the plastic chasis (Pioneer) with buttons that don't cave in rather than metal chasis(NS6) and buttons that can't hold up. I do love the NS6 when all is working better. And Serato crashed again last night. BOOOOOOOO!!!!! Whens the next update?
Djpr1 12:47 AM - 26 October, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

NS6 has totally different buttons.

Try this: play 10 minutes with the Traktor S1, then switch to the NS6. It's like HONDA--->Mercedes

I agree with Cerla a 100% it took me 5 minutes tho...
the djchainsaw 6:03 AM - 22 May, 2012
Hey Guyz, I have smashed about 3 NS6 units within 2 month's. the buttons feel great but break easily and I am not heavy handed at all. I luv the unit though... the layout is very intuitive no more then 2 layers great!! JUST NEEDS BETTER BUTTONS!!! Numark should checkout the cue buttons on the Pioneer djm t1 mixer they feel rock solid. In my opinion the cue buttons might be bigger as well? as for ITCH crashing I have the same issues, but I think it's the macbook specs. Maybe Serato should claim higher minimum system requirements? a friend of mine has a core i7 and it flies! Oh PS... 1 thing would be a super upgrade better visual feedback on the platters for track marking? pioneer style display or whutever? that lame led on the side of the platter does not really do the trick for beatjugling.

resume: besides bigger and better build cue/loop buttons and better visual representation of the track position on the platters it's an AWESOME unit!
djemdub 6:28 AM - 22 May, 2012
what do you guys do to these poor NS6 units?lol
i use mine more than 3 times a week, whether its just for practice or a gig and i dont have a case for it and my ns6 is still in prestine condition. the buttons and knobs and faders are great!
great buy!!
dj-in-cali 4:48 PM - 22 May, 2012
I've had my unit since December of last year, and love. Everything solid, so far, so good!!!
dj-in-cali 4:50 PM - 22 May, 2012
Love it that is.........
dj lashes 8:29 PM - 22 May, 2012
solid as a rock
Quote:
I have smashed about 3 NS6 units within 2 month's.

thats the problem your smashing it you need to start playing it...
Quote:
and I am not heavy handed at all

ask a drunk man if he is drunk even on the way to the ground he will tell you he no way near drunk...
djcerla 12:13 AM - 23 May, 2012
He's dj chainsaw, no wonder NS6s get smashed! :)
Papa Midnight 3:58 AM - 23 May, 2012
Quote:
He's dj chainsaw, no wonder NS6s get smashed! :)

So basically, he's to DJ equipment what Adam Ferrara is to cars.
forums.finalgear.com
DJ GaFFle 2:14 AM - 25 May, 2012
My cue button number 1 caved in on a brand new NS6 unit after about a month of usage. I returned it to GC and got a new NS6 (extended GC warranty is great). The 2nd unit showed signs of track distortion about an hour of usage. It was not a good look at my residency as I was blaming the house system but in reality, it was the NS6 (a reboot of the unit would resolve the distortion). I return that unit as well and have another new unit. One more NS6 mishap and I'm selling, then moving on to Denon 3900's...
Kmxorbit 7:58 AM - 25 May, 2012
I have 1 half broken Hot cue after 6 months of use, and i really take care of my gear.
The knobs are too hard which make them vulnerable to break.
dj lashes 5:17 PM - 25 May, 2012
Am in Africa bad electricity, rain at anytime(more venue out doors), more dust then air, sun hot like fire, MC's working the faders like there pushing a car, i play around 4-6 shows every week all year around, i do not a case for my ns6.....ect.............

MY NS6 LOOKS LIKE NEW, EVER BUTTON WORKS GREAT, FADERS NO LEEKS
Trixxx 5:39 AM - 26 May, 2012
First of all I really like the NS6. I have had mine sense December. Never really had any problems until last night working at my club. Problems with the #1 channel fader. I rolled up the volume on #1 to the top and my music went to half the volume suddenly. When I touched the fader the music came back full volume. I think the fader is dirty but don't how it should be cleaned. As far as the buttons I have had no probems.
dj lashes 4:24 PM - 26 May, 2012
Quote:
First of all I really like the NS6. I have had mine sense December. Never really had any problems until last night working at my club. Problems with the #1 channel fader. I rolled up the volume on #1 to the top and my music went to half the volume suddenly. When I touched the fader the music came back full volume. I think the fader is dirty but don't how it should be cleaned. As far as the buttons I have had no probems.

use cotton buds your gonna shocked with all the sh1t that comes out.
Trixxx 6:46 PM - 26 May, 2012
Quote:

Should I use any kind of alcohol, or deoxit cleaner?
dj lashes 5:47 AM - 27 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Should I use any kind of alcohol, or deoxit cleaner?

this is all i do .
use a cup or some hard to press the tip of the cotton buds thinner so it can easy fit in to the fader.
give it a good rub up and down the fader changing it if you see alot of dirt
you should be good to go i never use any kind of alcohol ect.. back in the days i had some kind spray cant remember the name but i found after using it once it seemed like it had to be sprayed weekly to can it working..
Trixxx 7:41 AM - 27 May, 2012
It worked nicly. Thank You for your advise. I just finished a show and no problems.
dj lashes 2:19 PM - 27 May, 2012
Quote:
It worked nicly. Thank You for your advise. I just finished a show and no problems.

thats great always ready to help like many other good guys here.
bluefoot 12:18 PM - 28 May, 2012
^that spray was probable a contact cleaner, my favourite brand is "servisol". It will help clean out grotty faders but it does seem to result in all the grot collecting at either end of the faders range. I too have found that once I started using contact cleaner I needed to keep using it regularly. SO... if the dry cotton bud is working > go with it. Just to state the obvious: never do any cleaning of your unit while it is plugged in.

P.S. Had my NS6 1 year 3 months, never less than 2 gigs a week, most gigs are 7 hour weddings (and yes I hammer it with scratching, cutting, loops, stutters etc) plus my 3 yr old and 7 yr old daughters go mad on it when it's set up at home.

Buttons are fine, responsive and strong IMHO. Rotary pots are comfy and solid enough. Faders are ok too, similar to the older vestax PMC mixers but not as good as on the RANE mixer series.
djBern 11:33 PM - 4 July, 2012
My Cue#1 on the right side caved in as well. It happened in the middle of my set, luckily it still worked, just didn't bounce back up to normal height. It's only about 6 months old but I just started a weekly gig a couple of months ago, so has been used more.

I'll have to send it back for replacement.
LEDPaint 3:30 PM - 5 July, 2012
I've had my NS6 since the day it came out and I play on it at least 4 times a week. It's rock solid. Of course some will have defects, but you guys who have gone through two or more, you have to be beating them to be experiencing these issues. I've left the booth had people walk up to my controller a few times and pound the crap out of it before I got back, and still had zero issues with it. Issues with security letting people touch my controller, now that's a different story!
dj shenko 8:05 PM - 16 December, 2018
Quote:
I love the knobs and faders. Its just the buttons im concerned with. U don't feel like it takes more ffort to push buttons? Meaning slower response time. I was curious what others thought. These buttons replaceable if need be?

hello friend,am using numark ns6 with serato dj but my problem is my range bottons not working and i would like to change the range from 8% to 16% is there any possible way i can change without using my ns6 hawrdware? please help asap.