Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

mp4 stored in itunes dont show up in itch

Product
ITCH
Version
Hardware
Numark NS6 +
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
dj pesh 12:30 PM - 11 June, 2011
Product: itch
Version: 1.8.0
Hardware: numark-ns6||no-fx-controller
Computer: mac
OS Version: 10.6.7
---

Hi im a video dj and i use scratch live for this but i have just bought the numark ns6 (congratulations on such a great product)to make my experiance efficient. All my music and videos are in itunes and in scratch live they all show. The problem that i have is in itch because my mp4 files are not showing. I know you cant currently play videos in itch but i need the mp4 audio to work, please can you help/advise? thanks in advance.
dj pesh 12:39 PM - 11 June, 2011
I just read a post about this where one of the serato moderators explained that mp4's are not supported on itch (1.7.1) through iTunes. Will you be implementing this compatibility any time soon as i would not like to convert my mp4's to mp3, lol thanks.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 9:57 PM - 12 June, 2011
Hi dj pesh.

You are right, at present mp4s aren't supported. However we are looking at offering support in the future.

But if you need to use this music now, then you may want to convert the music you need. I'd suggest keeping the originals however for when they are supported.
dj pesh 4:40 PM - 13 June, 2011
Thank you for your reply. I hope you guys include this in itch 2.0
revancheX 5:56 PM - 13 June, 2011
MP4 is a broad term and describes merely the container format. It can contain all kinds of stuff, including video, audio, and rights management. What matters is that ITCH *does* support AAC-LC. I use it all the time. This will let you play unprotected tracks from the iTunes store, for instance, and you can also use iTunes to convert wav/aiff to AAC-LC and it works fine in ITCH. But it won't support other types of AAC, which are common in MP4 video (such as AAC-SSR). You can use a tool to extract the audio and store it as AAC-LC and it should work just fine.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 4:38 AM - 14 June, 2011
Cheers revancheX.

Yes, the MP4 container can be quite problematic as it can contain many things which aren't quite right... so it can make things unstable. However, we have done extensive testing and tweaking on the Scratch Live side of things, and this will help us porting things over to ITCH, so we won't be starting from scratch.

I'll close this down for now. Feel free to post again to reopen the thread if you have any more question :D