Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Mixing videos with 4 decks? Possible?

DJ Classick1 9:12 AM - 8 June, 2011
I currently have a rane 57sl and mix video between the 2 decks. So I am thinking about upgrading to the 68 or sl4 so that way I have 4 deck capability. So how would this work with video sl? Would I be able to mix 4 videos at once? Would it just split the screen into 4 video windows being mixed? If not then would I at least be able to load videos onto all decks and just use the audio from them?
Joshua Carl 2:02 PM - 8 June, 2011
not at this time...

the only way to do this with vsl/me is to have 2 separate ssl setups with an outboard video mixer.
DJ Classick1 8:37 AM - 9 June, 2011
Ok, thought so. So will I still be able to at least mix 2 videos while running 4 decks or would it have to be on standard 2 deck mode?
DJ Mafia 619 2:06 PM - 9 June, 2011
I just got the SL4 2 days ago and still trying to figure it out...
Looks like you can mix Video in two decks and still play audio in the other two...

In other words,
2 decks video,
4 decks audio...

There's an option to choose 2 primary decks, configurable in 4 diifferent ways...
Im hoping that you can switch the selector of primary decks into the video playing and your next to play....

Let me explore it a little more an follow up on this thread...
lvmez 2:21 PM - 9 June, 2011
Why would any one want to mix 4 videos? Unless your doing a showcase, I think the screen would look crowded.

just my opinion.
DJ Mafia 619 2:24 PM - 9 June, 2011
we are not talking About mix simultaneously, but be able to load video and for decks and crossfade to the one you want....
Like 1 to 4, then to 2 then to 3 ... etc, etc.....
lvmez 3:12 PM - 9 June, 2011
I understand what you saying and it is still useless. you want to have 4 videos ready at all times? I don't know about you, but I can load a new video in about 2 seconds.
DJ DisGrace 3:21 PM - 9 June, 2011
Quote:
I understand what you saying and it is still useless. you want to have 4 videos ready at all times? I don't know about you, but I can load a new video in about 0.2 seconds.

fixed
DJ Mafia 619 3:47 PM - 9 June, 2011
Quote:
I understand what you saying and it is still useless. you want to have 4 videos ready at all times? I don't know about you, but I can load a new video in about 2 seconds.

Quote:
Quote:
I understand what you saying and it is still useless. you want to have 4 videos ready at all times? I don't know about you, but I can load a new video in about 0.2 seconds.

fixed

We are not here to Brag about skills, but to know what is possible and what is not....
You are not the smartest DJ on earth...
It only takes a push of a button on my controller to load a video.

If you are not interested in this discussion,
you are not obligated to participate...

Thnx
DJ DisGrace 4:13 PM - 9 June, 2011
Quote:
We are not here to Brag about skills, but to know what is possible and what is not....

how fast a video loads has nothing to do with skill. It's your computer. And it's possible to load a video in 0.2 seconds

Quote:

let's have an IQ battle

Quote:

which is what I said. It takes 0.2 seconds to load a video

Quote:

Thnx

I am interested.

I myself mentioned in another thread how VSL is at an advantage over ME with regards to integrating 4 decks into the software. However, most would agree that the biggest hurdle now is CPU power. Having 4 videos decoding simultaneously will not be easy on your CPU.

I do see your point about having decks 3 and 4 on stand-by. Back in the day I used 3 turntables. Even if all 3 weren't playing at the same time, it was easier to have the 3rd one lined up ahead of time. However, this was vinyl, before instant loading and cue points.

*skills discussion* (you are not obligated to participate)
If you don't actually plan on using more than 2 decks simultaneously, then spend some time practicing loading tracks and dropping them on the fly. It is possible. It is very fast. It can sound as smooth as running 3 decks. Just takes some practice.
DJ Mafia 619 4:22 PM - 9 June, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

how fast a video loads has nothing to do with skill. It's your computer. And it's possible to load a video in 0.2 seconds

Quote:

let's have an IQ battle

Quote:

which is what I said. It takes 0.2 seconds to load a video

Quote:

Thnx

I am interested.

I myself mentioned in another thread how VSL is at an advantage over ME with regards to integrating 4 decks into the software. However, most would agree that the biggest hurdle now is CPU power. Having 4 videos decoding simultaneously will not be easy on your CPU.

I do see your point about having decks 3 and 4 on stand-by. Back in the day I used 3 turntables. Even if all 3 weren't playing at the same time, it was easier to have the 3rd one lined up ahead of time. However, this was vinyl, before instant loading and cue points.

*skills discussion* (you are not obligated to participate)
If you don't actually plan on using more than 2 decks simultaneously, then spend some time practicing loading tracks and dropping them on the fly. It is possible. It is very fast. It can sound as smooth as running 3 decks. Just takes some practice.

AMAZED...
lvmez 7:23 PM - 9 June, 2011
To mafia, why are you getting defensive? I was just stating my opinion that 4 deck video is no big deal. I wouldn't mind seeing it during a showcase. But for your average dj, I doubt you would use 4 decks at a club. That is the reason I made the point on how fast it is to a load a video.

this had nothing to do with skill level.
DJ DisGrace 8:08 PM - 9 June, 2011
Quote:
AMAZED

well... I would hope so

Quote:
To mafia, why are you getting defensive?

+1

Seems like I'm the only one that added anything constructive to this. There are other threads talking about multiple decks with VSL, which I eleuded to.
skinnyguy 11:07 PM - 9 June, 2011
4 videos playing over each other would be horrible. i have yet to see an interesting skratch set with 2 decks and videos....and to imagine the mess that 4 would bring. yikes.

the only pleasant multi-tracked video/audio to see are the ones that are pre-made and edited....and i'm sure most of use are not going to play the same pre-made mix over and over and over and over and over, esp at a club residency.
DJ Classick1 7:51 AM - 10 June, 2011
I do agree with Ivmez, I mean 4 videos at once is a little bizarre. The reason why I asked though is just to know if it was possible to even do video when having 4 decks active. I do want to be able to mix 4 audio tracks but also still be able to have some kind of video output. And I am now very pleased to know that it will work! Thank you guys for all ur feedback!
Dj Wunder 8:33 AM - 1 September, 2011
I would use a 3rd video deck to have my logo running in a continual loop. That way I could switch to the logo on the fly when I dropped a track that didn't have video, as opposed to searching> associating a video to an audio track
djnak 10:59 PM - 1 September, 2011
Quote:
I would use a 3rd video deck to have my logo running in a continual loop. That way I could switch to the logo on the fly when I dropped a track that didn't have video, as opposed to searching> associating a video to an audio track

M.e. would solve that problem for you...
djnak 11:00 PM - 1 September, 2011
no third deck but a bank of 12 videos it will pick randomly from when you choose an audio track
Dj Wunder 2:51 AM - 2 September, 2011
Quote:
no third deck but a bank of 12 videos it will pick randomly from when you choose an audio track

Didn't know that, but very cool
phil F 9:45 AM - 5 September, 2011
Quote:
we are not talking About mix simultaneously, but be able to load video and for decks and crossfade to the one you want....
Like 1 to 4, then to 2 then to 3 ... etc, etc.....

i use the sl3 box. With instant doubles ticked. being able to drag and drop deck 3 into a video playing deck sorts out any accapella drops over mixes i want to do
Jaylen604 5:49 AM - 18 October, 2014
I agree that this would be a very useful function. Even though it may look bad having more than 2 videos going at once, it sucks when you're doing 3 or 4 channel mixing, and when you isolate the 3rd or 4th channel you get just a blank screen.
DJ GOODFOOT 7:41 AM - 19 October, 2014
I have a 64 and use 4 decks. Mostly for fun now and practice since most venues don't even have space in the booth for 4. I would like the ability to have 4 video sources, even if it's splitting the screen into 4 boxes and throwing a logo or run the Quartz script for Facebook/Twitter feeds in unused boxes. The draw on the cpu would definitely be prohibitive though. Daisy chaining two computers would be a cool concept so one can run the video and the other audio from one mixer. Maybe since the 64 has 2 USBs they could work in unison to do this and split the load.

I used to play around with bridge and Ableton and had an app that put multiple sources of video playing in sync, i thought it looked good an not cluttered. In fact, it was a cool way to showcase the different songs that were being looped.

I'd also love a way to get dicers to work for all 4 turntables....
lvmez 4:16 PM - 19 October, 2014
You guys are not mentioning that with 4 deck mixing it will require a more powerful laptop. You most likely need a $3000+ MBP. Most guys here would be complaining about that. Be happy with what we have and hope that it is improved.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 5:15 PM - 19 October, 2014
Well I think if Serato would do it like VDJ does where you can choose which video streams are playing and which side of the cross fader they're on then it'd work.
Jaylen604 9:07 PM - 19 October, 2014
Good point Ivmez, I guess want I'm really hoping for is not so much being able to mix with more than 2 at once, but just being able to choose which decks control the 1st and 2nd video slots. This way you wouldn't be mixing with more than 2 decks, but you have the option to put video on the 3rd and 4th decks if you want.
StripClubJesus 6:27 PM - 11 March, 2015
I do also see a use for being able to load video in any of 4 decks and yes a strain on the CPU it would be... But any VJ already has tackled this by now... And VJs don't use crappy gear. (Or shouldn't)

Virtual DJ can mix 4 no problem. Serato has yet to tackle this.

And the use of course is that as a VJ I know that not all good songs have videos... And when I have a video I don't always also have a copy of the same song as an MP3... It's the freedom to be creative at your own will... While a DJ worries about his next few "tracks"... On top of that I also worry about the pair of 10' screens hanging over my dance floor.

If a video isn't available... I pull visuals and load them into a deck and push it to the video feed and screen (without audio).

And stop being so defensive about not needing more than 2 video decks... There is a need, maybe creativity isn't part of your show yet... Most DJs are trying to stay ahead of the technology and do more than mix music... We entertain.

Great question, I feel your struggle.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 2:58 AM - 12 March, 2015
Well actually with VDJ you can still only mix 2 videos at a time but you have an unlimited number of video samples playings...... And yeah I know you can load all 4 decks with videos but no matter what ONLY 2 are gonna with VDJ. Now there are tricks you can do but with the sampler as I said up top but only 2 decks will play video at any given time.

Which the same can be done if your using Mix Emergency and not SV.
Code:E 6:05 AM - 12 March, 2015
$ decks would be nice. I would be very happy if you could only mix 2 at a time but you could load videos into all 4 decks and switch which deck is in A or B of the video mixer.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 2:39 PM - 12 March, 2015
Yeah my bad for not reading thoroughly enough.

Agreed, would be nice.....
JD WAS. 2:40 PM - 12 March, 2015
Quote:
Well actually with VDJ you can still only mix 2 videos at a time but you have an unlimited number of video samples playings...... And yeah I know you can load all 4 decks with videos but no matter what ONLY 2 are gonna with VDJ. Now there are tricks you can do but with the sampler as I said up top but only 2 decks will play video at any given time.

Which the same can be done if your using Mix Emergency and not SV.

@ the sound insurgent do you use vdj/video on the mac side?
If so how would you compare it to the serato/mix emergency experience
the SOUNDINSURGENT 5:06 PM - 12 March, 2015
Well on the Mac side it is lacking but I do have syphon out/in which for me helps out a lot and I can use QTZ.files as well and we all know how powerful those can be, lol!!

Over all though VDJ is just missing the quailty video effects and transitions in my opinion.

Other then that it's VDJ's script which gives it so much power. I mean I can launch an 8 bar loop, drop 10 samples and have multiple audio/video effects running and launch lighting cues with a lighting software with the push of a button. No other software I've used gives me that much freedom (and no I haven't tried everything).

I do think there is a difference in overall output quailty when comparing the 2.

I think now that VDJ's sampler can play video also has helped out a lot as well.

Now I don't think of myself as an average VDJ user and some of the things I do with it others can't but the possibilities are there for any and everyone to use.

Also I'm always hitting up a programmer over there asking for things and he usually come through. He pops in here every now and again.

But back to the point if VDJ had good quailty video effects and transitions like ME I honestly don't think I would use ME.

I mean even on the PC side I can pretty much do everything ME can do with the exception of using qtz files and that's only because it's a Mac thing, lol!

And on a final note if it wasn't for ME Serato might as well close up shop on the video side cause SV is weak as shit on either Mac or PC.

Again this is all MY opinion and experience, I'm not bashing anyone or anything (other then SV). Every software has it's pros and cons 👍
skinnyguy 7:14 PM - 12 March, 2015
if vdj's fx and transitions didn't look so..."cheap/cheesy", I'd be more apt to use it...maybe.

gotta admit. vdj does everything and plays everything.
JD WAS. 8:11 PM - 12 March, 2015
@ sound insurgent thanks for the info.
Im a vdj user myself and really only interested in sera to for video/ME.,trying to figure out if making the switch to ME. is worth losing the mapping options i have in vdj and the fact i can use any equipment i want with vdj.
So vdj can do most of the stuff ME. can do but ME looks better doing it?
the SOUNDINSURGENT 8:30 PM - 12 March, 2015
Yeah I think it does, ME for now looks better.

I've done a side by side and ME effects and transitions do look better.
skinnyguy 8:41 AM - 13 March, 2015
Smoother on ME.
DJ I.N.U> 7:23 AM - 23 March, 2015
Damn,

I came here in hopes of finding info and all I see is arguments. SMDH!!!
DJ Ravien 6:03 AM - 3 August, 2015
Would love to see this feature. Even If we just had the option to output decks 1 & 2 video to 3 & 4.
XRM5 12:31 AM - 4 August, 2015
Serato needs to make it possible to automatically sync the M.E. sampler to the SP-6.
VJMark 7:58 PM - 12 November, 2015
I've been using the Roland V4 between two ttm57 to work four decks for video. But would love to see this feature on one mixer to mix four decks for video.
SBDJ 3:13 PM - 18 November, 2015
Quote:
Well actually with VDJ you can still only mix 2 videos at a time but you have an unlimited number of video samples playings...... And yeah I know you can load all 4 decks with videos but no matter what ONLY 2 are gonna with VDJ.

I know Huey posted this a while ago, but since the thread has been bumped I'll just correct this - you can mix more than 2 video decks simultaneously with VDJ8.