DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

dj am @ victoria secret pj party

hustlas 2:37 PM - 1 August, 2007
DJJOHNNYM 3:02 PM - 1 August, 2007
This dude is eating GOOD.
De LA 3:15 PM - 1 August, 2007
Hey I was there...good time.
Bigfourty4 3:16 PM - 1 August, 2007
pimp
djaction 3:16 PM - 1 August, 2007
lol wtf is with all the underage chicks
De LA 3:18 PM - 1 August, 2007
it was an all ages event because of Fergie. From what I was told. I was up in a vip booth that my friend has, so we had a few drinks and left by 9
DJJOHNNYM 3:20 PM - 1 August, 2007
The PR machine behind this dude is incredible.
djaction 3:22 PM - 1 August, 2007
Quote:
The PR machine behind this dude is incredible.

x2
DJ-A 3:26 PM - 1 August, 2007
so, where was it?
AlexRage 4:26 PM - 1 August, 2007
Quote:
so, where was it?

In Chicago
De LA 4:28 PM - 1 August, 2007
Charter one Pavillion. Its a new outdoor concert place. Very nice right on the lake.

AM did a set the next morning on the beach as well. It was kinda funny cause he was promoted as being the DJ and only spun for like 10 min. not too many happy people. But it was still a good time.
AlexRage 4:31 PM - 1 August, 2007
Quote:

AM did a set the next morning on the beach as well. It was kinda funny cause he was promoted as being the DJ and only spun for like 10 min. not too many happy people. But it was still a good time.

The North Beach volleyball thing?
De LA 4:31 PM - 1 August, 2007
yeah. Where Q101 was.
j cal 6:14 PM - 1 August, 2007
Quote:
Charter one Pavillion. Its a new outdoor concert place. Very nice right on the lake.

i read he had "technical difficulties".

here's some pictures of him mess'n with the SL1

www.chicago-scene.com (Scroll down to; Chicago Sport and Social Club Volleywood Beach Bash with DJ AM, Saturday, July 14, 2007(f))
Los Angeles Grooveworks. 12:52 AM - 2 August, 2007
in my opinion djam is average in djing skills.
im better than he is "Not trying to brag. "witch i love to do"
no seriously how the hell did he get where he is at with average dj skills.
Jay-R 12:57 AM - 2 August, 2007
popcorn
Los Angeles Grooveworks. 1:13 AM - 2 August, 2007
^^lol
Los Angeles Grooveworks. 1:27 AM - 2 August, 2007
in "NO" way am i boasting to be the best dj ever or even close to being. i dont even think im close to being as good as some of the peeps on this fourm.

"BUT" i def am better tham djam. also alot of the dj's on here are also. i spun like djam in the mid 90's.

so my question was how he got so popular with avrage skills.
skratchnerd 1:42 AM - 2 August, 2007
post a file b*tch!
Los Angeles Grooveworks. 1:45 AM - 2 August, 2007
will do in my time.

B*ITCH!!
lvmez 1:58 AM - 2 August, 2007
nothing wrong with thinking that your better than a famous dj. you probably are better than he is BUT i give credit for marketing himself so well. he is the biggest "celebrity" dj out right now.
Los Angeles Grooveworks. 1:59 AM - 2 August, 2007
^^as for markting that's my problem

#1.dont know shit about marketing
#2.no money
DJ Prinvale` 4:19 AM - 2 August, 2007
Quote:

hahaha, that was cute.
DJ Greg J 5:46 AM - 2 August, 2007
Quote:
in "NO" way am i boasting to be the best dj ever or even close to being. i dont even think im close to being as good as some of the peeps on this fourm.

"BUT" i def am better tham djam. also alot of the dj's on here are also. i spun like djam in the mid 90's.

so my question was how he got so popular with avrage skills.

keep working on your comedy routine and don't quit your day job just yet, eventually you'll write something funny, and people will laugh and be merry, and things will turn around for you. Didn't work out this time around, but keep ya head up.
kev_the_dj 5:48 AM - 2 August, 2007
I wonder what would happen if he never dated Nicole Richie to start with.
The E Head 7:45 AM - 2 August, 2007
Quote:
I wonder what would happen if he never dated Nicole Richie to start with.

well imo since he is better than most other djs, i would say it was inevitable that he blew up!

@Los Angeles Grooveworks.

Some comments there so wheres ur mix? or STFU:P
Los Angeles Grooveworks. 8:33 AM - 2 August, 2007
im not even going to respond. will get a mix out as soon as im ready to..then you can judge.
DJOJ 8:45 AM - 2 August, 2007
Quote:
im not even going to respond. will get a mix out as soon as im ready to..then you can judge.

Awesome... can't wait. Until then, onfinite.com
Los Angeles Grooveworks. 8:48 AM - 2 August, 2007
ha.
DJOJ 8:50 AM - 2 August, 2007
Better keep that popcorn handy playa. You'll need it to wash the taste of your foot out of your mouth. LOL
Los Angeles Grooveworks. 8:52 AM - 2 August, 2007
dude, not worried at all..
Los Angeles Grooveworks. 8:59 AM - 2 August, 2007
BTW, where the hell did all the djam dick suckers come from.

i never said anything aginst anyone on the fourm plus i also recongnised many dj's on this fourm as prob being better than dj am..

fuck if all you guys that are sucking djam's balls. think hes the best thing since sliced bread..

then you need help!!!
DJOJ 9:24 AM - 2 August, 2007
We're not the asshats that professed that we were better than an accomplished DJ that is also a pioneer of what we are here for... using Serato. If having an admiration for other DJ's like AM, Jam Master Jay, Jazzy Jeff, QBert, Mixmaster Mike and many others is equal to sucking their dicks or their balls, the I certainly feel better than having both of my feet in my mouth. Careful LAG (funny... your acronym is Lag), you may get athlete's tonsils from all the toejam in your throat.

Now... be a good little girl and post a mix. And get my popcorn ready while you're at it.
Los Angeles Grooveworks. 9:49 AM - 2 August, 2007
Ohh, no don't try to turn this thing into me hateing on dj's the likes of::::>Jam Master Jay, Jazzy Jeff, QBert, Mixmaster Mike. as for these dj's are some of my idols and i have the up most respect for them & their talent. these dj's you mentioned:::>Jam Master Jay, Jazzy Jeff, QBert, Mixmaster Mike. are true bonified dj's that i respect. and as for dj am reping serato..im happy he is..but that dose not make him god on the tables.SO GO FUCK YOURSELF.
DJOJ 9:55 AM - 2 August, 2007
Tell you what. You have fun starting flame wars on the internet. Post your mix and put your money where your mouth is. If you're even AS GOOD as I feel (now you can't really argue with how I feel, right?) that AM is, I'll concede and will say so to the world that you are as creative and technically blessed as he is (if not better). But... on the oh so rare chance that you actually are a cookie cutter wannabe Power 106 "Power Mixer," I will clown you until the day you do this: scratchlive.net

By the way, Einstein. It's hating, not "hateing." It's utmost, not "up most." Forget it... I don't have all night.

Sweet dreams.
albuddah 9:57 AM - 2 August, 2007
yo DJOJ, you happen to know the actual brand of that burrito?
Los Angeles Grooveworks. 9:58 AM - 2 August, 2007
**Boring**
AMF 3:35 PM - 2 August, 2007
Come on fellas. He's entitled to his opinion. If he feel like he's better than AM, then fine. I have nothing against someone being confident in themselves.

On the other hand, I wanna hear a mix too. You can't call someone who is pretty good "average" and not show us SOMETHING. LAG, all you gotta do is make a 20-30 minute mix and post it.
el presidente 4:15 PM - 2 August, 2007
post a mix lag
Bigfourty4 5:35 PM - 2 August, 2007
yea---im still waiting for a mix
The E Head 5:50 PM - 2 August, 2007
Quote:
Come on fellas. He's entitled to his opinion. If he feel like he's better than AM, then fine. I have nothing against someone being confident in themselves.

On the other hand, I wanna hear a mix too. You can't call someone who is pretty good "average" and not show us SOMETHING. LAG, all you gotta do is make a 20-30 minute mix and post it.

But you cant expect to come out with statements like that and not expect anyone to call you out!

I am actually suprised by your comment "You can't call someone who is pretty good". I don't like the music he plays infact i would say 80-90% of it is utter shit but i know when i hear a skilled dj and by no strech of the imagination is AM only pretty good he is one of the most technically gifted dj's i have ever heard!

and yeah LAG still waiting for this mix.................
KaGeN 5:56 PM - 2 August, 2007
Quote:
most technically gifted dj's
= cue point king with a single scratch hand
KaGeN 5:57 PM - 2 August, 2007
I know this forum is on his jock n all.... but to those of us that pride ourselves on the LONG beatmatch, we hear him differently... that's all I'm saying.
KaGeN 6:00 PM - 2 August, 2007
and I'm feeling daring today - I'll go out on a limb... there is a cat here that has opened for him, and IMHO - I think he can put away AM on ALL counts. he just needs some help from the tabloids.
AMF 6:10 PM - 2 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

But you cant expect to come out with statements like that and not expect anyone to call you out!

I am actually suprised by your comment "You can't call someone who is pretty good". I don't like the music he plays infact i would say 80-90% of it is utter shit but i know when i hear a skilled dj and by no strech of the imagination is AM only pretty good he is one of the most technically gifted dj's i have ever heard!

and yeah LAG still waiting for this mix.................

Actually I shoulda written it better. I think he's a great DJ. I have to admit I don't like about half of the music either. But I know talent when I hear it. And he is very talented.
el presidente 6:11 PM - 2 August, 2007
thats why a mix from lag is good to hear. if he's an edm dj who prides himself on flawless long beatmatching, then great. adam himself may say that's just not him. but to reduce him to a cue point button pusher with a single scratch hand and a publicity team is selling him short a bit. i think where he shines best is in song selection, and the way he arranges those songs and brings them in is at times brilliant, at times straightforward. but i think he's about the music first and foremost.

but all talk and no action is not a good look.
dj_soo 6:12 PM - 2 August, 2007
I think AM get overrated on this forum but I can't deny his skill.

He's most definitely a great DJ, but I have a *huge* list of DJs I'd rather pay money to see than AM who are easily comparable on technical skill but far superior on track selection.
djaction 6:12 PM - 2 August, 2007
Quote:
but all talk and no action is not a good look.

agreed =)
DJJOHNNYM 6:17 PM - 2 August, 2007
Y'all buggin.
sixxx 6:17 PM - 2 August, 2007
I think AM is good but not great. Without cue points/relative mode he wouldn't be what he is today. He's got a great marketing/agent behind him, that's for sure. I would say he's good at reading the crowd, but the fact is he does a lot of prepared sets which would take away from really reading the crowd at that point and time. Basically, if you play all the hits or anything that was a hit, you'll do good.
sixxx 6:18 PM - 2 August, 2007
and no.. I'm not hating on AM either. Just my opinion.
DJJOHNNYM 6:21 PM - 2 August, 2007
Let this dude LIVE MAN...lol...he's actually doing y'all a FAVOR if you ask me. This cat is helping keep DJ'ing in the LIMELITE....

When was the last time America was FASCINATED with a damn DJ?

If y'all are SMART, you'd get ya DJ PR GAME UP, and who knows....

You might be at the RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME....

Don't hate the Playa, hate the GAME.
sixxx 6:24 PM - 2 August, 2007
oh yeah, my opinion and that or others sooooo affect his life. Get over it.
sixxx 6:25 PM - 2 August, 2007
lol @ doing us a favor. lol
AMF 6:25 PM - 2 August, 2007
Well who is a "great" club dj then? Granted those pre planned sets do get a little tired. But if you haven't heard 'em 10,000 times then they're pretty dope!
KaGeN 6:27 PM - 2 August, 2007
first off, let's get this affiliated by the genre...Ya'll hip hop cats are magically enamored by him. That's the idol and that is the how the future of hip hop is shaping and you're ALL cool with it, fine by me.
Bigfourty4 6:27 PM - 2 August, 2007
Cue points are definitely good for anyone trying to be fast...but he takes it a notch further:

- creates his own blends/tracks (which obviously anyone can do)
- combines 3 tracks together to use as a tool
- constantly uses instant doubles to get ready for left hand scratches
-goes from word to word of like 3 or 4 songs at a time

and----possible the best and scariest-----the amount he gets paid in 1 day in more than some people make in 1 year....just think about that.....
dj cubicle 6:28 PM - 2 August, 2007
I personally like PvD.

Jokes!
Bigfourty4 6:29 PM - 2 August, 2007
i like to eat pussy, but that don't mean i do it all the time
sixxx 6:30 PM - 2 August, 2007
Quote:
Cue points are definitely good for anyone trying to be fast...but he takes it a notch further:

- creates his own blends/tracks (which obviously anyone can do)
- combines 3 tracks together to use as a tool
- constantly uses instant doubles to get ready for left hand scratches
-goes from word to word of like 3 or 4 songs at a time

and----possible the best and scariest-----the amount he gets paid in 1 day in more than some people make in 1 year....just think about that.....

I know cats who do all that... without cue points. You make it seem like it's impossible. And the whole (instant doubles to get ready for left hand scratches)... Why? Cause he can't scratch with his right? lol
Bigfourty4 6:30 PM - 2 August, 2007
i should went to that viki's party....musta been some madddd pun tang there
sixxx 6:30 PM - 2 August, 2007
Quote:
i like to eat pussy, but that don't mean i do it all the time

lol
DJ-A 6:31 PM - 2 August, 2007
i know i'm good, but i'd shy from saying better than anyone else. there are so many styles out there i'd like to think anyone can help me improve something.

i don't get along with cocky dj's... they ususlly aren't as good as they wish they were...
DJBlisk 6:31 PM - 2 August, 2007
I'm enamored by DJ AM and his parties because he attracts hot girls!!!! woohoo hot girls!!!!!
DJBlisk 6:31 PM - 2 August, 2007
hot girls always go to his parties.
sixxx 6:31 PM - 2 August, 2007
Quote:
Well who is a "great" club dj then? Granted those pre planned sets do get a little tired. But if you haven't heard 'em 10,000 times then they're pretty dope!

There are a ton of great DJ's... or those I consider great. Those are the ones that are hustling at clubs WHO ACTUALLY DO READ THE CROWD and don't have PRE-PLANNED SETS. AM doesn't get everyone dancing... and don't give me that bullshit about (they're all paying attention to him). lol

He's bombed ON THE DANCEFLOOR like most of us have at one time or another.
Bigfourty4 6:32 PM - 2 August, 2007
about the doubles...its like jerkin off---ur either a left or a righty....

me---im a switch hitter...and i didn't learn over night---it took about two years to get used to.....
KaGeN 6:32 PM - 2 August, 2007
Quote:

You could have sat on the curb watching mommy and daddy pick their little 15 year olds up to take them home for piano lessons.
sixxx 6:32 PM - 2 August, 2007
Quote:
i know i'm good, but i'd shy from saying better than anyone else. there are so many styles out there i'd like to think anyone can help me improve something.

i don't get along with cocky dj's... they ususlly aren't as good as they wish they were...

Great points. I feel you on that. AM is very humble. So, props on that.
Bigfourty4 6:34 PM - 2 August, 2007
dude---everyone has bombed in their life before...I just cant get over how fast he is....its like...shit is so fast....esp. that stealth mode
sixxx 6:34 PM - 2 August, 2007
Quote:

me---im a switch hitter...and i didn't learn over night---it took about two years to get used to.....

Props on that. I do the same thing. Of course one is waaaay better and more skilled than the other one, but in hip hop, you really should learn to scratch with both. At least the simple scratches.
Bigfourty4 6:35 PM - 2 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

You could have sat on the curb watching mommy and daddy pick their little 15 year olds up to take them home for piano lessons.

been there done that...execpt it wasn't piano lessons....it was dance lessons...and not the type most 15 year olds take
sixxx 6:35 PM - 2 August, 2007
Quote:
dude---everyone has bombed in their life before...I just cant get over how fast he is....its like...shit is so fast....esp. that stealth mode

What I mean is... that he is big now. He's popular now... and he's bombed on the dancefloor. Why? PRE-PLANNED SETS. You gotta switch music according to your crowd. I'm not saying a pre-planned set wouldn't work, but if it fails, you better have another pre-planned set ready (lol)
Bigfourty4 6:35 PM - 2 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Props on that. I do the same thing. Of course one is waaaay better and more skilled than the other one, but in hip hop, you really should learn to scratch with both. At least the simple scratches.

Sixxx, I wasn't talking about djing there
Bigfourty4 6:36 PM - 2 August, 2007
haha
sixxx 6:36 PM - 2 August, 2007
hahahaha!!! Me neither. lol
DJOJ 6:36 PM - 2 August, 2007
I can scratch my balls with both hands.
AlexRage 6:37 PM - 2 August, 2007
i really don't think he's an overnight success. pretty sure the dude's been djing at clubs for atleast 15 years...i remember reading an article that said back in the day he was playing at some club, and jay z was in the vip, so AM played a jayz track, and then mashed it with a nas's jayz diss track, and jay z was awed, and had to compliment him on it....
AMF 6:37 PM - 2 August, 2007
Quote:
first off, let's get this affiliated by the genre...Ya'll hip hop cats are magically enamored by him. That's the idol and that is the how the future of hip hop is shaping and you're ALL cool with it, fine by me.

Ummm I'm not so sure anyone here said or implied he's the future of hiphop. Speaking for myself, and prolly everyone else, I'm just saying he's dope. That's all.

But I know a few others in Detroit who are dope too. If this was a thread on Detroit DJs I'd be giving them props too!
sixxx 6:38 PM - 2 August, 2007
Quote:
i really don't think he's an overnight success. pretty sure the dude's been djing at clubs for atleast 15 years...i remember reading an article that said back in the day he was playing at some club, and jay z was in the vip, so AM played a jayz track, and then mashed it with a nas's jayz diss track, and jay z was awed, and had to compliment him on it....

I don't think he's an overnight success either. The right marketing/agency has a lot to do with this.
Bigfourty4 6:39 PM - 2 August, 2007
I like spinbad...but his transitions are always like this:

Inst -->scratch acap---->echo effect----> and it goes on and on and on
Bigfourty4 6:40 PM - 2 August, 2007
at least on the radio mixes...i've never caught him live
sixxx 6:40 PM - 2 August, 2007
Yeah. I don't know about spinbad either. He got some skills but he's also redundant.
sixxx 6:40 PM - 2 August, 2007
I give props to AM on practicing and dedication: It takes a lot of practice and dedication to get all those pre-planned sets on point.
AMF 6:41 PM - 2 August, 2007
Quote:
I give props to AM on practicing and dedication: It takes a lot of practice and dedication to get all those pre-planned sets on point.

Sixxx got jokes! lmao.
Bigfourty4 6:42 PM - 2 August, 2007
#1.....Lost a lot of weight
#3.....Gets the Girly Girls
#4.....Makes $
#5..... I dunno----shit fuck damn
Bigfourty4 6:43 PM - 2 August, 2007
definatly redundant---same mixes every tues and thrus on the radio---kinda wack
DJOJ 6:43 PM - 2 August, 2007
Forgot #2.... kick his Heroin addiction.
AlexRage 6:43 PM - 2 August, 2007
Quote:

LOL, that's cold, but I laughed...

The guy tours 75% of the time, so I don't blame him for busting out the same set...it just so happens that people hit record on the same set. It's pretty awesome to hear new stuff from him, though, because he diggs into so many different genres...and at the end of the day, who cares about pleasing DJ nerds? it's all about the club crowd.
Bigfourty4 6:44 PM - 2 August, 2007
I could save a lot of time practicing if people were to just send me their set lists------
sixxx 6:44 PM - 2 August, 2007
I've always hated DJ's who mix the same songs together all the time.... I've encountered this at clubs from DJ's I personally know... all of a sudden I find myself telling someone next to me what song is coming up next, and next, and next.
Bigfourty4 6:45 PM - 2 August, 2007
#2---Ouch

My original #1 was that he is jewish and white----but so am i..so i dunno....maybe he just got better before i did
AlexRage 6:45 PM - 2 August, 2007
it's like if you went to a journey concert and they didnt play "don't stop believing"...you'd be pretty pissed. it'd be the same way if AM didn't do his wonderwall mix.
Bigfourty4 6:46 PM - 2 August, 2007
yea---when that happens..I just find the nearest girl and say---I guarentee the next song is: I wanna fuck you in the ass tonight
sixxx 6:47 PM - 2 August, 2007
Quote:

The guy tours 75% of the time, so I don't blame him for busting out the same set...it just so happens that people hit record on the same set. It's pretty awesome to hear new stuff from him, though, because he diggs into so many different genres...and at the end of the day, who cares about pleasing DJ nerds? it's all about the club crowd.

I give him props on the different genres too. He gets ZERO props on the mashups though (live or not).
Bigfourty4 6:47 PM - 2 August, 2007
alex---he don't do it all the time....only when the real hotties are there..and really close time him like that video...

we've all studied that video before-----so..you def know the girly girls im talking about

BTW---i dont think i would ever pay to see journey...bc the sopranoes just made that song suck my cock
sixxx 6:47 PM - 2 August, 2007
Quote:
yea---when that happens..I just find the nearest girl and say---I guarentee the next song is: I wanna fuck you in the ass tonight

hahahahahaha. You fool. You made me spill my drink!!!! lol
Bigfourty4 6:48 PM - 2 August, 2007
you know what song rocks my crowd???

AFROMAN---BC I GOT HIGH
Bigfourty4 6:51 PM - 2 August, 2007
weird that you say that----cuz when i pulled that on a chick one time...she spilled her drink...but i dont think it was an accident
DJ-A 6:56 PM - 2 August, 2007
Quote:
#1.....Lost a lot of weight
#3.....Gets the Girly Girls
#4.....Makes $
#5..... I dunno----shit fuck damn

i have always thought Mandy Moore was HOTT... put that as #1 or at least #2
DJJOHNNYM 7:13 PM - 2 August, 2007
Oh, OK NOW SPINBAD IS SUSPECT...

Y'all ain't got shit to do...

That man is ridiculous with his...

Like I said, get ya PROMO Game up....

Most of us would KILL to have a chance to DJ a Victoria Secret's joint...HipHop, EDM, Club, Reggae...whateva...

Stop frontin....
sixxx 7:15 PM - 2 August, 2007
Quote:

Most of us would KILL to have a chance to DJ a Victoria Secret's joint...

Baby steps. You finally got a decent mixer. Now go home and practice. lol
DJJOHNNYM 7:19 PM - 2 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Most of us would KILL to have a chance to DJ a Victoria Secret's joint...

Baby steps. You finally got a decent mixer. Now go home and practice. lol

LMAO! With ya GIRL DJ FIANCE', you can live vicariously thru us...

PS...

I'm about to break that 56 in on Friday, live and direct...

If it does a good job, I'mma buy it something real nice...
sixxx 7:21 PM - 2 August, 2007
Girlfriend... not Fiance. Get it right if you're going to talk about her. And for future reference, don't disrespect her.
DJ-A 7:23 PM - 2 August, 2007
^^some new hub-caps for the pontiac?
DJJOHNNYM 7:23 PM - 2 August, 2007
Quote:
Girlfriend... not Fiance. Get it right if you're going to talk about her. And for future reference, don't disrespect her.

LOL! Good try! Y'all reachin...

Keep teachin.
sixxx 7:25 PM - 2 August, 2007
You act as if she's the only person I've taught over the years... or the only girl. lol
dj_soo 7:25 PM - 2 August, 2007
Quote:

meh, while I agree that I don't want to hear a DJ play the same set every time, I don't mind if a DJ plays some of the same routine or a block of 3 or 4 tunes that mix/flow really nicely. I do the same myself, I have a few set mixes that I'll throw into my sets and treat that block as it's own song in a set. A lot of the big name touring DJs have signature routines that they throw down all the time...

But yea, I'd be disappointed if I heard the exact same set twice or even if he didn't come up with new shit on the regular.
sixxx 7:25 PM - 2 August, 2007
Quote:
^^some new hub-caps for the pontiac?

lol
Bigfourty4 7:36 PM - 2 August, 2007
dude---i got mad respect for you trying to teach your girl

I treid...and failed--because i was on the tables too much and didn't let her try enough

Other than that---I wasn't rippin on spinbad.. I was just saying--that a lot of his stuff is the same on Z100. That is why i want to hear him live...but i dunno if he does any live stuff in ny/nj.

Besides..all of the mixes for Z100 are pre-recorded anyways...all they do is tell him to add like 30 seconds of instrumental so they can take a call...then after that--he scratches in something else.

To be honest---I wouldn't want to dj a viki's party---what is the point of it....way too much pressure...if you fuck up..your done with.

DJ'ing is my second job...and i know a bunch of people that want to get into my real profession...its just sad that i don't have enough time to do the bar/club scene as much as i want to .
KaGeN 8:11 PM - 2 August, 2007
Quote:
I've always hated DJ's who mix the same songs together all the time.... I've encountered this at clubs from DJ's I personally know... all of a sudden I find myself telling someone next to me what song is coming up next, and next, and next.

oh - you must be talking about those dj's that own Serato and sort by BPM...
DJOJ 8:14 PM - 2 August, 2007
Quote:
oh - you must be talking about those dj's that own Serato and sort by BPM...

Really? DJ's do that? wow
DJ-A 8:15 PM - 2 August, 2007
who is BPM?

thanks, i'm new...
KaGeN 8:17 PM - 2 August, 2007
sorting by the Basic Predictable Method = BPM
DJOJ 8:17 PM - 2 August, 2007
He's a buddy of PvD
KaGeN 8:18 PM - 2 August, 2007
also resulting in [b]Bypass Pitch Manipulation[b]
KaGeN 8:19 PM - 2 August, 2007
damnit, also resulting in Bypass Pitch Manipulation
KaGeN 8:19 PM - 2 August, 2007
Quote:
He's a buddy of PvD

I can appreciate it, but do not listen to trance much any more.
De LA 8:21 PM - 2 August, 2007
Its a feature, why not use it. When I had my CD's only, I had them organized by bmp..kinda.

Sorting by BPM isn't a bad thing if you use it right. It doesnt mean I will mix the same songs together...but say Im spinning 95 bpm stuff...I can scroll through and find other songs in the same tempo range(89-100) with out having to sort through the stuff that wont mix in.

But if you sort by BPM then just scroll down the list every night playing song after song..yeah its gets old and predictable. I keep my main library sorted by BPM, House library by song. And then I have some weird sorted crates around that...One by date added, my mash ups are by bmp too actually.
Bigfourty4 8:25 PM - 2 August, 2007
i definately sort by bpm...who wouldn't

I dont use crates..i just do it on the fly.

If i were to use crates---i would do it for either 1 or 2 mixes i could run on the fly....or use it to sort by genres (eg: RAP, ROCK , Dance)
DJJOHNNYM 8:38 PM - 2 August, 2007
Quote:
To be honest---I wouldn't want to dj a viki's party---what is the point of it....way too much pressure...if you fuck up..your done with.

I take it you don't DJ for lots of people then...

I ain't NEVA SCURRED...
illmatic 9:47 PM - 2 August, 2007
what happened to LAG?
Los Angeles Grooveworks. 9:52 PM - 2 August, 2007
im working making money...cha,ching
skratchnerd 10:03 PM - 2 August, 2007
its not about LAG anymore, its about BPM's now.
Los Angeles Grooveworks. 10:40 PM - 2 August, 2007
to all here...

i never said i was the best dj or even close to being..
i respected all on this fourm and also gave much props to peeps on this fourm being better than djam.

and i will post a mix when i have the chance.

djam is average IMO.

As far as the djoj shit goes..
i have better things to do than fight with a 40yo that acts like a 10yo.

so enough said from me on this matter.
if you think djam is god!!
good for you.

if you hate on me for thinking djam is average
ohh well (cant have everybody like me)

but if you hate on me just to join a band wagon of hate.
i feel sorry for you.
Bigfourty4 10:42 PM - 2 August, 2007
cool
Los Angeles Grooveworks. 11:00 PM - 2 August, 2007
ok mods, are out for the lockdown...
Bigfourty4 11:06 PM - 2 August, 2007
I dont see why it would get locked..I think we are all being nice to others....

Anything I say...Im just saying with some sarcasm
Serato, Support
Matt G 11:15 PM - 2 August, 2007
Quote:
SO GO FUCK YOURSELF.

Los Angeles Grooveworks, you're skating on thin ice. This is your one warning. The first and most important rule of this site is "be nice to others". If I see your name turn up in relation to trouble again you're gone.
Los Angeles Grooveworks. 11:20 PM - 2 August, 2007
sorry about that matt,

But no warning from others..for treating me like shit!!!
DJ.ReFRESH 11:29 PM - 2 August, 2007
Quote:

True.

That's why I never diss on EDM DJs because I think there's an inherent level of difficulty in mixing, regarless of the genre.

Hip Hop, in general, requires quick mixing so DJ's have to get the blend down within 1-2 minutes.

EDM, from what I've seen and heard, has more of the "long blend" style (thanks Kagen) which gives the DJ more time to mix the next song in. The dope thing is that EDM DJs pay attention to seamless transitions and using the mixer to enter/exit songs.

So in a nutshell: Yeah, all styles can be difficult.

Los Angeles Grooveworks, where in LA do you spin? No beef, but if you're as good as you say you are, then I'm sure you have events on a fairly regular basis. If that's true, then I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem for a couple forum heads to go check you out.

Then you don't have to worry about posting a mix.
djdstaR 11:30 PM - 2 August, 2007
another AM thread...zZzZzZzz

i'm sure everyone in here is just so much of a better DJ then him too..that's why you're all so paid...lol.
sixxx 11:33 PM - 2 August, 2007
better doesn't automatically equal more $ .... In ANY field.

.... and it's THAN not then him.
Los Angeles Grooveworks. 11:40 PM - 2 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

True.

That's why I never diss on EDM DJs because I think there's an inherent level of difficulty in mixing, regarless of the genre.

Hip Hop, in general, requires quick mixing so DJ's have to get the blend down within 1-2 minutes.

EDM, from what I've seen and heard, has more of the "long blend" style (thanks Kagen) which gives the DJ more time to mix the next song in. The dope thing is that EDM DJs pay attention to seamless transitions and using the mixer to enter/exit songs.

So in a nutshell: Yeah, all styles can be difficult.

Los Angeles Grooveworks, where in LA do you spin? No beef, but if you're as good as you say you are, then I'm sure you have events on a fairly regular basis. If that's true, then I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem for a couple forum heads to go check you out.

Then you don't have to worry about posting a mix.

i don't spin at any particular club.
i guest spot for diffent clubs.
spundea
giant
dose your mama know
nocternal

im mostly a edm dj but also have hip-hop turntablist roots.
Bigfourty4 11:48 PM - 2 August, 2007
yea---onone ever said anything about being better and getting paid. Shit...I think VICK is an awsome QB----to bad other don't think so at the present time...and you know what---he might not get paid
sosflex 2:34 AM - 3 August, 2007
LAG let's hear a mix!
djdstaR 9:12 AM - 3 August, 2007
Quote:

Thanks for clearing up the obvious business 101, sixxx.

I'll be sure to hit you up if I ever need a quick grammar check as well.
sixxx 5:10 PM - 3 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for clearing up the obvious business 101, sixxx.

I'll be sure to hit you up if I ever need a quick grammar check as well.

Well, with comments like this: i'm sure everyone in here is just so much of a better DJ then him too..that's why you're all so paid... Someone had to do it.

and glad to be of help now and in the future.
Dj Klutch 7:52 PM - 3 August, 2007
shameless plug but me and am will be rockin the set together this sunday at avenue in long branch new jersey....for anyone that hasnt been to this spot the club is gorgeous has a huge pool and is half indoor half outdoor....anyone that has actually been able to make it out to my birthday party or any other event that me and am play together no what to expect musically its always a great night party starts at 2 ends at midnight so i hope you can all make it out !

all the info on this party is on my myspace page www.myspace.com
tig ol' bitties 7:56 PM - 3 August, 2007
klutch is a big ol pimp thats all i can say...

"im addicted to fresh" ha.
J_Static 3:25 AM - 4 August, 2007
Quote:

AM has been busting his ass since day one, playing for almost free when he started! I honestly don't think he has a PR firm behind him, I think he might negotiate 80% of his own sh*t!

He's proof that hard work pays off, oh and staying on ur grind constantly!
Bigfourty4 5:47 PM - 4 August, 2007
i will be at warped tour all day with my brother in Englishtown. He hooked up the backstage passes. I am thinking that I will roll thru when I am done with Him.

Klutch...and luck on hooking up the booth??
DJJOHNNYM 5:55 PM - 4 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

AM has been busting his ass since day one, playing for almost free when he started! I honestly don't think he has a PR firm behind him, I think he might negotiate 80% of his own sh*t!

He's proof that hard work pays off, oh and staying on ur grind constantly!

I'm not saying he hasn't done hard work....but MOST of us have done hard work TOO...

There's no way he could manage that schedule without some type of management. The PR game is a monster all by itself...
sixxx 6:04 PM - 4 August, 2007
It's not just DJ's who think the following:

"Although he has been a fixture on the Los Angeles club circuit since the 1990s, DJ AM would probably not be enjoying such fame were it not for his much-chronicled relationship with Ms. Richie.

“He’s an amazing D.J., but there are a lot of amazing D.J.s,” said Janice Minn, the editor of US Weekly, which charted the couple’s three-year romance and brief engagement. “The difference is that there’s only one who dated Nicole. It put him on the map.”
DJJOHNNYM 6:07 PM - 4 August, 2007
I agree with that ^^^^. It is what it is, but now that's he's "THERE", he's using that exposure (whether he wants to or not) to expand his career. Hey, let him eat.
sixxx 6:10 PM - 4 August, 2007
No hate. You usually just have to make it "there". Once you make it "there" it's up to you to not fuck it all up. lol
DJJOHNNYM 6:14 PM - 4 August, 2007
Quote:
No hate. You usually just have to make it "there". Once you make it "there" it's up to you to not fuck it all up. lol

Exactly! For example, he's Popular with the General Public, and I'm sure advertisers like his clean cut style. Didn't he stop smoking? Great PR for now identifying for the younger generation.

But you can BEST BELIEVE, if he got caught up with some BULLSHIT, (i.e cocaine bust, domestic violence, or some other behavior that SOCIETY frowns upon), that wagon he's riding will have the wheels fall off in a heartbeat.
DJJOHNNYM 6:15 PM - 4 August, 2007
Then again LINDAY LOHAN seems to be still employed as a DJ...so...
DJJOHNNYM 6:16 PM - 4 August, 2007
*LINDSAY (damn edit button)
sixxx 6:22 PM - 4 August, 2007
That's the thing with celebrity status... when you fuck up, it either destroys you or helps you even more. lol
DJDLO 415 10:39 PM - 4 August, 2007
another AM thread
dj_soo 11:02 PM - 4 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Exactly! For example, he's Popular with the General Public, and I'm sure advertisers like his clean cut style. Didn't he stop smoking? Great PR for now identifying for the younger generation.

But you can BEST BELIEVE, if he got caught up with some BULLSHIT, (i.e cocaine bust, domestic violence, or some other behavior that SOCIETY frowns upon), that wagon he's riding will have the wheels fall off in a heartbeat.

mark your calanders. sixxx and johnnym actually aggreed on something.
DJOJ 11:04 PM - 4 August, 2007
tig ol' bitties 11:20 PM - 4 August, 2007
Dudes got hella money and smashes any chick he wants and dj's for a LIVING.

Let it rest. he obv got skills to be doing what he's doing. Whether you like it or not it doesn't matter cuz a million other people do.

Blah
DJ-A 7:55 AM - 5 August, 2007
Quote:

I call dibbs on dating Lindsay Lohan!!! now if anyone will help hook me up with an instant name n Hollywood she can. besides she seems cool and is way hott...
J_Static 7:18 PM - 5 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

I call dibbs on dating Lindsay Lohan!!! now if anyone will help hook me up with an instant name n Hollywood she can. besides she seems cool and is way hott...

Oh lord someone wants to hook up with FIRE CROTCH!

Yea it'd been cool 2 get at her b4 she got with half of Hollywood and got all coked up in tha process! I think she's trying to be the teenage Kate Moss!
DJ Dominus 4:40 AM - 7 August, 2007
I want my 10 IQ points back from watching that vid and reading this thread.

I'm better than AM.
Nuh Uh
Uh huh
Yah
No way
chjah way
hawt
nawt