DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

What size generator should i buy?

pdidy 12:31 PM - 1 August, 2007
anybody no how to calculate the ideal wattage for a generator?
i have 6 parties coming soon so i want to buy not rent and not over spend on wattage i'll never use....

i need to power...
2 QSC 3402 power amps rated at 700w @ 8ohm rms.(8 bass bottoms)
4 Powered Yorkville NX-750's rated @ 750w Program.

and the basic mixer/turntable /CD turntable /laptop setup.
MusicMeister 2:29 PM - 1 August, 2007
Double the power requirements and then get the next size up.

And the power requirements are the actual power draw, NOT the rated wattage on the amps.
DJ FUN TIMES :) 4:33 PM - 1 August, 2007
Quote:
Double the power requirements and then get the next size up.

And the power requirements are the actual power draw, NOT the rated wattage on the amps.

How do you find the actual power draw?
MusicMeister 6:12 PM - 1 August, 2007
If it's not on the back of the device, check the manual.

Here's the info on the PLX 3402:
www.qscaudio.com

The power requirements are 12Amps. Using Ohm's Law/Power formula of Power=current x voltage

Power = 12 amps x 120 volts
Power = 1440 watts

That's the MAX draw on that device.

Keep in mind I say double it because most generators are rated at peak output which is much higher than a sustained output. Basically make sure that you have more power than your equipment will need SUSTAINED.

My guess? I'd probably look at something closer 10,000 watts for that setup.

But you'd also be able to play to crowds of 800-1000 people. Far more than most people using a generator are going to be playing to. I'd consider trimming the equipment down some depending on the size of the gigs you're doing.
DJ FUN TIMES :) 6:17 PM - 1 August, 2007
10,000 watts is big generator. Your gonna need a pickup or a trailer to transport that bitch & your equipment too. But you can also charge a shit load of money for an outside gig!!!
MusicMeister 9:19 PM - 1 August, 2007
It's the damn equipment he has! The PLX 3402 at max output draws 12 amps. That 2 15 amps circuits alone at a venue. You'll need a third for the Yorkie's and the other equipment. This is NO lights or anything else.

That's nearly 45 amps of power - or:

Power=45*120
5400 watts.

That's sustained output he needs to provide plus general overhead from heat losses, etc.

A generator rated at 10,000 watts peak is likely going to be a little larger than he needs but he'll also have clean power and the generator won't be running wide open.

Cut that equipment in half or more and he could probably get by with a little Honda 3500.

Big sound takes a big generator. And keep in mind, if you're playing for 800-1000 people where they don't have power you need to be charging PREMIUM rates.
MusicMeister 9:21 PM - 1 August, 2007
On other thing:

DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT USING 2 SMALL GENERATORS TO HANDLE YOUR AUDIO EQUIPMENT. YOU COULD END UP WITH 2 VERY SEPERATE GROUNDS AND IT CAN KILL YOU!!!!!!

If you're not an electrician, have one wire up an electrical breaker box and snake to handle your power properly. Don't play games when you start dealing with electricity like this.
sixxx 9:30 PM - 1 August, 2007
Quote:
On other thing:

DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT USING 2 SMALL GENERATORS TO HANDLE YOUR AUDIO EQUIPMENT. YOU COULD END UP WITH 2 VERY SEPERATE GROUNDS AND IT CAN KILL YOU!!!!!!

If you're not an electrician, have one wire up an electrical breaker box and snake to handle your power properly. Don't play games when you start dealing with electricity like this.

You DJ so bad, you thought you needed a mixer between your two generators. :P
Certified Quality Entertainment 9:33 PM - 1 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
On other thing:

You DJ so bad, you thought you needed a mixer between your two generators. :P

Hahahahah
pdidy 7:52 PM - 2 August, 2007
dammmmm.....thats gona cost me $1500 minimum...fuck it, it will pay for itself in rentals.

2 QSC 3402's = 24 Amps total

4 yorkville NX750 = 28 Amps total

total = 52Amps

52Ax120v=power (6240 watts)

6240x2= 12480 watts

A 13000 watt generator will be ideal for me. thank MusicMeister.
dj1227 8:27 PM - 2 August, 2007
We had an issue at work a while back when using a generator in the field to power electronics. It kept frying surge power strips (we're talking smoke and sparks here). Turned out, it was not a "clean power" generator. It was more of a construction grade generator. These types of generators produce more of a triangle wave type of power rather than a nice sine wave type of power. They are fine for power tools, but if you are running your prized gear I highly recommend the clean power type.

I did some research and found Honda makes some very sweet clean power generators. They also are very quiet and have gas saving features so they can run for 15 hours on a tank under medium load. We got the Honda 3000i, and it ran about $2500 new. The smaller ones are less expensive (I think they have the 2000i for about $1500). Might be worth a net search.

Best of luck!
KaGeN 8:37 PM - 2 August, 2007
adds to wishlist.
allenbina 9:14 PM - 2 August, 2007
get one with a flux capacitor just in case you mess up mixing, then you can go back in time and fix it.
sixxx 11:02 PM - 2 August, 2007
Quote:
get one with a flux capacitor just in case you mess up mixing, then you can go back in time and fix it.

lol

That was funny... Allen Binaaaaay!
aLiEn 3:36 AM - 3 August, 2007
Quote:

^^^OMFG_ROFLMAO^^^

That comment just made my night!
jmixentertainment 11:56 PM - 6 May, 2012
I have 2 xti crown 4000 amps, two peavey 215, 2 peavey 118subs and 2 djs5 speakers and using VMS 4 mixer and prodigy fx CD mixer.
Can I used 10,000 watts Generator to power these for an outdoor event?
djvtyme85 1:01 AM - 7 May, 2012
It will work but will be loud as fuck, you want to get a long power chord & sit it as far away from the sound & guests as possible
jmixentertainment 12:57 PM - 7 May, 2012
Thanks for your quick response and advice. I will do just that.
Yacoob 9:03 PM - 13 June, 2014
I am trying to determine what size of portable generator would be adequate for a DJ system with the following equipment:

One QSC KW181 Active Sub (1000 watts), Two QSC 153 Active Loud Speakers (2000 watts), one DDJSX controller, one ZED 12-Channel PA system and one laptop.

Note: All equipment will be playing on an 18-wheeler flat bed truck, which will travel through the city streets at walking speed (Carnival Style).

I will appreciate any advice from my fellow DJs who have the requisite knowledge and experience with this type of arrangement.

Much thanks!

Yacoob
--------------
pdidy 11:22 PM - 14 June, 2014
@ yacoob, 3000 watt generator
Yacoob 8:08 PM - 15 June, 2014
Thank you so much pdidy. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Best wishes always!

Yacoob
caseofbase 1:04 AM - 24 June, 2014
I'm using 2 Yorkville NX750-P Speakers, a Laptop, MIxtrack Pro and there will be an air compressor hooked up to blow-up beach balls (this is for a float).

Any suggestions on what generator I should get? I was thinking 5600w but if I can go lower it would be easier to manage moving the thing around.
pdidy 4:31 AM - 24 June, 2014
Quote:
I'm using 2 Yorkville NX750-P Speakers, a Laptop, MIxtrack Pro and there will be an air compressor hooked up to blow-up beach balls (this is for a float).

Any suggestions on what generator I should get? I was thinking 5600w but if I can go lower it would be easier to manage moving the thing around.

need make and model of air compressor first.
caseofbase 12:10 PM - 24 June, 2014
It's a Husky 12 Volt Inflator, model #:HY120