Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Mac with Lacie D2

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
skutch 3:16 AM - 16 June, 2005
Like nik39, i want to use my HD with my friends SSL when we gig together.
I copied my itunes music folder on the the HD straight out of the box.(SHould i install the silverlining and silverwhatever software thats in the Lacie? ((i tried to read the manual but it might as well be latin)))

A.Im kinda asking how y'alls HD is setup?

Anywho, I had a crate with 3000 songs running off of the HD for about 20 minutes and had a kernel panic. Shawn recommended that i repair my permission on my Lacie. I ran disk utility on my Laptop's drive, but couldnt figure out how to run in on my Lacie. The panic happens every time.

B. y'all think the panic is due to the amount of files?

C. How do dumb guys like me repair permissions on an external?
skutch 3:17 AM - 16 June, 2005
I should have SO posted this in "help"
Serato
Josh 4:10 AM - 16 June, 2005
*as you wish*
skutch 5:38 AM - 16 June, 2005
I SO need five grand
DJ 3pm 2:17 PM - 16 June, 2005
a- i haven't tried to spin on anything but my laptop yet. i'm in the process of moving but would like to play with ssl on my pc too so i will have to look at this as well. i liked the idea of converting itunes playlists to ssl crates. maybe one of our members here would be so inclined to write this into a ssl-buddy app?

b- i doubt its the number of files, i've got 10,000 and haven't run into this problem yet (of course i don't have a crate with that many in it)

c- can't repair permissions on a drive that doesn't have os x installed on it. if you think permissions are the problem, do a 'get info' on the external drive and there should be a checkbox to 'ignore permissions on this volume'.

and i so need five grand
SpinThis! 3:06 PM - 16 June, 2005
Quote:
can't repair permissions on a drive that doesn't have os x installed on it

correct. repairing permissions only applies to certain system files and applications that use an installer and leave a receipt. if for some reason your permissions are wrong on your external, you have to fix those manually. (luckily it's easy to do.)

as a rule, having incorrect permissions should rarely result in a kernel panic. a KP usually indicates something more serious--usually a hardware problems. repairing permissions is software-related but shouldn't cause a panic.

Quote:
The panic happens every time.

does SSL work on the powerbook otherwise w/o the Lacie connected? if not than you have something more serious. i'd say at this point have a drive/firewire issue. check for firmware updates on Lacie's site and make sure it's compatible with the Mac OS X version you're using.
DJ 3pm 4:59 PM - 16 June, 2005
Quote:
does SSL work on the powerbook otherwise w/o the Lacie connected? if not than you have something more serious. i'd say at this point have a drive/firewire issue.

what powerbook are you using? i just discovered that i can't boot my new(er) powerbook off my external hd or utilities cd. i get a kernal panic everytime i try (as do others with this model), but my co-worker with a slightly older powerbook has no problems with the same media.

just curious if we've got the same bum laptop model :(
nik39 5:21 PM - 16 June, 2005
Quote:
a- i haven't tried to spin on anything but my laptop yet. i'm in the process of moving but would like to play with ssl on my pc too so i will have to look at this as well. i liked the idea of converting itunes playlists to ssl crates. maybe one of our members here would be so inclined to write this into a ssl-buddy app?

Oh man... that would be awesome!
skutch 6:01 PM - 16 June, 2005
Quote:
Quote:
The panic happens every time.

does SSL work on the powerbook otherwise w/o the Lacie connected? if not than you have something more serious. i'd say at this point have a drive/firewire issue. check for firmware updates on Lacie's site and make sure it's compatible with the Mac OS X version you're using.

it only happens with ssl. I dont use the external for anything else. it copied all my music files

just fine.

im using a g4 PB 13.3 everything's updated.
djkenace 9:19 AM - 24 June, 2005
in the known issue section of the forum there is a known issue with mac and folders with more than 1900 files.
skutch 4:12 PM - 24 June, 2005
nah thats not the problem.
i havent really messed with this external for a week or so. ill get around to it this weekend.