DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Sick of playing good music...

nik39 7:44 PM - 29 July, 2007
Yeah, it sounds ridiculous, but on one of my spots where I play regulary, I can play like whatever I like, and of course I choose to play good music, music which I like, but I am sick of playing the good music (you can find two mixes/recordings here scratchlive.net and here scratchlive.net <- click). Esp. after I decided to play twice a month there (way back I only played once a month there, money is bad, but I learn to know the songs better and can play almost whatever I like). Since then... well, I even thought of completely quitting there cause right now its rather work than fun, and the money is not enough to do the work.

The other residency where I play club music, it runs well, and me and my DJ colleage rock the spot, but... it is uninspiring as well, we end up playing the same hits each week. It is really a tough job to re-invent yourself each time you play.

Does anyone understand what I mean?

I have like 4k songs (that includes also double tracks, different versions like instr/acc/dirty/clean, so in the end the total number of differnt songs is less) on my part of the h/d, and I feel like I play the same good songs again and again.

Maybe I just need a break from spinning.
AdamJay 7:54 PM - 29 July, 2007
i think you just need to do some good ole fashion diggin' to get your inspiration back.
djskiggz 9:19 PM - 29 July, 2007
yea you need to do some crate digging. Get some older stuff and mix it in with the new stuff you have to play to make your set interesting & fun. Just be sure not to keep the older stuff spinning too long otherwise you will loose the kiddies on the dancefloor.
nik39 9:28 PM - 29 July, 2007
Well in the club I am already spicing it up with older tracks, to keep it different than the other djs and to give a nice vibe. However, its like the same classics...

Same goes for the "good music" stuff. I mean Erykah Badu is the shit... but I cant play every song again and again. How often can you listen to Southernplayaslistikcaddilacfunkamusic? Dope music, but not if you listen to it every second week. I mean, I doubt that the crowd is getting bored, it's not the same people showing up each week, but its myself who is getting bored.

Crap.
dj_KaSE 9:36 PM - 29 July, 2007
Welcome to the world of DJ'ing.

Reptitiveness sucks, but we have to live with it.
djskiggz 9:39 PM - 29 July, 2007
do you scratch nik?
djdstaR 9:40 PM - 29 July, 2007
get a guest DJ to break it up a little
nik39 9:43 PM - 29 July, 2007
Yeah, skiggz.

dstar, good idea.

Kase, I've been into clubs for some years now, so I know more or less how it goes in the club... but I never thought this boredness would also come for the music where you have freedom of choice.
djskiggz 9:45 PM - 29 July, 2007
oh...i was going to tell you to get into turntablism. Its makes mixing a lot more fun.
dj_KaSE 9:57 PM - 29 July, 2007
Dude, to be perfectly honest -- and I'm sure veteran DJs will agree -- burnout is a real issue, especially when you find yourself playing the same thing over and over, even after you have exhausted different ways of playing the same songs be it with skratching, hot cues, doubling, or whatever.

Perhaps you need a vacation, or listen to music on your own time that you normally wouldn't play at a club, or maybe cut down on how much music you listen to. I'm sure you have thought outside the box before, but perhaps it's time to think outside the box again.

Give yourself some time to think about a good or tolerable way to deal with burnout.

Wow, I sound like a therapist.
DJ Limelight 10:11 PM - 29 July, 2007
Guest spots ALWAYS help. I'd LOVE to come do one homie! The ticket won't be a lot Nik! ;-D

It's crazy because as much as you think it's boring, people come out and probably love what you do. I think to myself I can't get bored/discouraged about spinning because people get dressed, drive to the spots I spin at and spend their hard-earned money to listen to me. Fucking ME. I do a little over 200 shows a year so I totally understand the dilemma bro. Doing different gigs around the country are my saving grace.

Think about this... Imagine how much boring shit would be if we were still using vinyl, had to lug crates, couldn't loop shit, didn't have cue points and couldn't have your entire library with you every night. Talk about burnout.

I think I'ma do a set this week with vinyl only to switch it up.
dj_soo 10:23 PM - 29 July, 2007
try really digging. As in go to your local record store and get some fresh, new tracks that aren't really available on digital yet (a lot of the indie stuff drops the digital versions months later).
a-swift 12:11 AM - 30 July, 2007
do what i do nik39. listen to your homies mixtapes, check a set here or there at some other spots you're not spinning at. note what's hot and what rocks the crowd,.. that you currently are not playing in your sets. jack it. profit!
DjRekTek 12:46 AM - 30 July, 2007
I know what you mean about repetivness...I get in the "top 40 trance" sometimes. Like I am a freakin' jukebox for real....so much I'm thinking about just doing it as a hobby in my basement again like when I first started out. Screw the fame and fortune! lol
nik39 9:08 PM - 1 August, 2007
Thanks guys...

Good point form Limelight

Quote:
It's crazy because as much as you think it's boring, people come out and probably love what you do.
djaction 9:14 PM - 1 August, 2007
Or you could move to New Jersey and constantly play bad music.
a-swift 10:37 PM - 1 August, 2007
there is one spot i do where the music is consistently BAD. i'll play hot shit all night long and no one dances. then i'll play something COMPLETELY STUPID and they all start dancing.

My requests for the night look something like this:

Can you play some madonna
Can you play some george michael
Can you play maneater
Can you play akon - don't Matter (i'm not being funny either)
Can you play sexy back
Can you play gold digger (in july of 2007, not kidding)
Can you play buttons (july 2007 people)

so my last hour is usually PACKED full of completely STUPID non-club music and EVERYBODY is dancing.
nik39 10:39 PM - 1 August, 2007
Haha :)

The bad part is obviously keep yourself entertained or having fun.

Hm, whats wrong with Gold Digger in 2007 and Buttons (besides that both songs has been crap since day one to me)? You mean theyre both songs which are songs which only have a short living cycle?
a-swift 10:45 PM - 1 August, 2007
Quote:
Hm, whats wrong with Gold Digger in 2007 and Buttons (besides that both songs has been crap since day one to me)? You mean theyre both songs which are songs which only have a short living cycle?

nothing's "wrong" with them. i liked gold digger the day it came out. i just can not believe that these songs STILL get a reaction on the dancefloor. i can't believe songs like sexyback still get a reaction on the dancefloor. songs like usher - yeah, i understand that. it's an instant classic the day it came out. but some of these songs that still work, i'm just amazed.

like right now, way i are is probably one of, if not the biggest track to drop in the club right now. played that the other night at my stupid music place and got nothing. put on pussycat dolls - don't cha and chicks were falling out of their shoes trying to get to the dance floor.

same thing with party like a rock star (which I hate btw). any other club in so cal, you put on party like a rock star and its a NEAR RIOT. at the stupid music spot. nothing. crickets on the dancefloor. put on cyndi lauper - girls just wanna have fun,.. fucking mayhem.

i don't get it.
lvmez 10:47 PM - 1 August, 2007
most dj's with residencies don't practice during the week. but that's when you need to try and put new sets together. these guys are right, start digging for older tracks and mix them with some new stuff.
nik39 10:51 PM - 1 August, 2007
Quote:
nothing's "wrong" with them. i liked gold digger the day it came out. i just can not believe that these songs STILL get a reaction on the dancefloor. i can't believe songs like sexyback still get a reaction on the dancefloor. songs like usher - yeah, i understand that. it's an instant classic the day it came out. but some of these songs that still work, i'm just amazed.

GOtcha, thats what I meant with "songs which only have a short living cycle".

Quote:
nothing. crickets on the dancefloor.

Haha :)
Mr. $weetlife 10:52 PM - 1 August, 2007
Yeah, I think you are just going through a phase that we all go through. Some songs I have in my collection are complete sonic masterpieces, but after hearing them for so long they just dont move me like they did. I still know its a great song, but I'm tired of it.

Well, that song you play every week that you are so tired of may be something your listeners love and only hear it when they come to hear you spin so to them its completely new and fresh that one day each week that they hear you.

I know though it still doesn't make you feel much better because the sets can sometimes start to sound the same. I guess keep digging or start spinning house/electro!
a-swift 10:56 PM - 1 August, 2007
Quote:
I guess keep digging or start spinning house/electro!

been really getting more house/electro/bmore/indie type stuff lately for sure. but i'm pretty sure that if tainted love is the biggest song of the night and timbaland bombs, they're not gonna be feeling too much of stuff they never heard before. maybe you guys have never had a really "lame" crowd before. from your responses, i don't think you have.
DJ_Motion 11:19 PM - 1 August, 2007
I get a lame ccrowd every once in awhile... from 10 to 11... I always play dance music and it doesn't matter what i do.. nothing... at 11(no joke) people start getting on the floor.. those people always are the ones that ask me "is techno all u play tonight" and crap like that but i always get em with an electro mix of a rap song and they start dancing to it... and then 5 minutes later they realize they just danced to some stuff they just asked me to quit playing...

That's what I hate...

But to answer your question... What I did cuz I recently started to get bored with my set... I went back and went thru my various artist cd's , ripped some missed tracks, listened to all the serato members mixtapes, got some new music from that and made a crate and played everysong in that MF'er... SO.. just go dig.. find electro/house/break mixes of what you play now and that might give it a different touch...
a-swift 11:23 PM - 1 August, 2007
Quote:
listened to all the serato members mixtapes, got some new music from that

i have more than a couple tracks i've gotten from forum mixtapes. stuff i probably would have not thought about playing. that's impressive.
nik39 11:32 PM - 1 August, 2007
Word.
J0be 9:59 PM - 2 August, 2007
If you can cut Nik, why not post a quick recording in the scratch sessions thread!? We'd love a little more variety!
Mr. $weetlife 10:08 PM - 2 August, 2007
Oh, one other thing I've used to try to rope a crowd into electro is to play some of those somewhat cheesy uptempo remakes of a top forty song. Now we all now that most fellas aint really feeling those so you gotta get the ladies feeling it. House/Electro remakes of PCD, Ciara, Rihanna whatever you can find. Just make sure you and your crowd like the original song. If not, a mediocre song sounds even worse with a cheesy uptempo house beat behind it! Once you got them out for that you might be able to sneak in those breaks.

Arrgghh! I've become everything I once hated!
nik39 10:16 PM - 2 August, 2007
Quote:
If you can cut Nik, why not post a quick recording in the scratch sessions thread!? We'd love a little more variety!

Believe it or not, I recorded something the night before yesterday. I was so fucking tired I was scratching with closed ears... then I spent time trying out the new stuff in the public beta releases etc. then I spent too much time listening... to Nelly Furtados "Do It". I love those Commodore C64 sound - dope as f*ck. "Timbalands knows exactly what he steals uhm makes". So at 6 in the morning I stopped playing and listening, and then I discarded the recording for whatever reason.

And BTW, my scratches are not advanced or something.
nik39 10:16 PM - 2 August, 2007
Quote:
Arrgghh! I've become everything I once hated!

ROTFL :))
J0be 10:28 PM - 2 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Believe it or not, I recorded something the night before yesterday. I was so fucking tired I was scratching with closed ears... then I spent time trying out the new stuff in the public beta releases etc. then I spent too much time listening... to Nelly Furtados "Do It". I love those Commodore C64 sound - dope as f*ck. "Timbalands knows exactly what he steals uhm makes". So at 6 in the morning I stopped playing and listening, and then I discarded the recording for whatever reason.

And BTW, my scratches are not advanced or something.

Thats cool, have a listen to some of the sessions, a few of us are beginners.

Plus after you've posted your first file, it'll motivate you to do more.

:)
nik39 7:44 PM - 19 August, 2007
Guys, thanks for all the tips.

What I did this week was to take one day off and only listen to new music. I made a new crate and forced myself to play stuff from that crate, no matter what the crowd does. It worked pretty will :)
cappinkirk 7:36 PM - 20 August, 2007
i listen to my homeys mixtapes too & have them guest spot whenever possible. that gets me itching to do something new every time.
shiestO! 8:48 PM - 20 August, 2007
i say get into production. throwin your OWN tunes in the mix changes shit quite a bit cuz you're lookin more at the crowd reaction "is this shit any good?" etc.
a-swift 12:10 AM - 21 August, 2007
Quote:
What I did this week was to take one day off and only listen to new music. I made a new crate and forced myself to play stuff from that crate

sometimes i have to do that too. just so much to listen to though and so much of it is crap. and to make it worse, even the ones that eventually grow on me, i usually pass on the first listen