DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

HDJ-1000 broken...

theBrooke 5:05 PM - 14 June, 2005
So... In my short dj career (6 years), I've now gone through 3 sets of cans. That's $500+ dollars. Ridiculous. Two sets of the Sony's both cracked in the same spot so I moved on to the Pioneers. I've been happy with these for sure. Had them for a year and a half and like the way they sound. I recently replaced the cord on them, because it was cutting out on me. When doing research I found a lot of complaints about them snapping off at the joint... GREAT! I thought maybe I was gonna get away with it, and not have anymore issues with these...

Wrong. Saturday I was the dj/mc for our PRIDE festival here in Boise, rocking off and on for 5 hours (thanks to SSL of course). Right at the end of the day I take them off and *snap*. Now at least when the Sony's broke you could ziptie em together or something. This is a clean break of some hard plastic, the only thing keeping them together is the small wire that runs to the other side.

Now I have to buy yet another pair. I'm just really annoyed because I'm saving for school right now so the timing is horrible. What I want first is a durable set of headphones. I'm thinking screw the foldable feature. Obviously that creates problems. Second I want smaller cans. Some that don't dwarf my ears, that hurts after a couple of hours. The two in the running thus far are the ...

Seinheiser HD-25 (more than I'd like to spend)
www.zzounds.com

Pioneer SEDJ5000 (used these once and liked em)
www.zzounds.com

Anyone have these? How about other suggestions? I would LOVE to get the HD-25's cause they would be great for studio work too, the cost just makes me cringe.. but hey if I can get some headphones and not have to replace them in a year or two it's worth it.

what do you think?
Rane, Support
Shaun W 5:17 PM - 14 June, 2005
I've been using the Sony MDR 7506 headphones www.sweetwater.com for the last ten years and have never had any problems or breakage.

Rock solid IMHO and great for DJing.

My $0.02 :-)
bartaug 6:17 PM - 14 June, 2005
Quote:
Two sets of the Sony's both cracked in the same spot

The Sony's are known for this, but I would still by them because they sound very good (especially the bass). You could tie-rap (with metal wire) the spot where they always break when you buy them to make them last a bit longer. The Senheiser HD25D is a good alternative imho.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 6:21 PM - 14 June, 2005
The MDR 700's do use cheap brittle plastic, but the MDR 7506's are mostly metal and quite strong.
s42000 6:22 PM - 14 June, 2005
After breaking Sonys, Pioneers, Techs and spending $$ I just said feck it ! I went for the Seinheiser HD-25.
The sound is really nice and they say that parts are replaceble.

Other than the toyish look they are excellent if not better than those listed above.
DJ Dynamight 7:37 PM - 14 June, 2005
I've got a 10 year-old Sony MDR-V6, the only issue I've had is the vinyl coating cracked and peeled off. They still work and sound great.
xalent69 8:59 PM - 14 June, 2005
Check out the sennhieser 280's.

The are good.
skinnyguy 9:42 PM - 14 June, 2005
i also vouch for and use the sony 7506.

it won't have the cracking problem like the 700 because it's designed differently.

i prefer the sound quality over the 700.

much comfier than the 700. covers your entire ear comfortably.

not very big and bulky.

much cheaper than the 700s and the pioneers.
BassChamber 9:45 PM - 14 June, 2005
senheiser HD 25, no doubts.
jack houser 10:18 PM - 14 June, 2005
Although i have always used the 700's and luckily never had any problems, i just switched to the Shure E5c in-ear monitors. Just used them this weekend at 3 gigs. I'm having the custom sleeves made now. These things were awesome. Nothing's smaller or lighter. Plus they sound amazing. They fit in the palm of your hand and most importantly you'll be saving your ears. If i normally have my headphone volume at 5 - these i had at 1. Your ear is perfectly sealed, no outside noise to compete with the signal. I will admit they take some getting use to, but i've been won over. Can't imagine going back.
jack houser 10:19 PM - 14 June, 2005
Plus no moving parts to break.
s42000 4:08 AM - 15 June, 2005
@jack houser

Are those in-ear monitors as good as regular headphones in a loud ... verr loud club ? Even with the monitor a few feet away ?
Detroitbootybass 4:53 AM - 15 June, 2005
They would be even worse than headphones in reproducing low-end frequencies...
jack houser 8:58 AM - 15 June, 2005
The E5's do an excellent job with low end. If you ever get a chance to try them you will be very surprised. I believe they are one of the first in-ears to do so. From my experience, I don't think any headphone can come close to the volume level of the E5's. They are perfectly sealed in your ear. There is very little to no outside noise whatsoever. Therefore you don't even need to turn up the volume to such excessive levels when there are loud monitors in big venues. But if you did, I assure you, your ears could not possible handle it. Plus unlike any other in-ear I have every used, the bass is great.

Some of the venues I play are quite large. Usually two 15" monitors a few feet from my head on either side. That was the case this Saturday. About 1000 people. Extremely loud conditions, and as i reported, i only needed the headphone volume to be about 20% of its regular volume. I know it's hard to believe. I didn't either, until a couple of other DJ/producers here in Chicago convinced me to at least try them. After this weekend, I'm sure I won't go back.

So s42000, Yes I believe they are far superior to using headphones. Unlike other in-ears, these have dual drivers with a built in crossover. If you want more info:

www.shurestore.com

Hope this helps.
nik39 10:11 AM - 15 June, 2005
jack, can you harm your ears when you accidently crank up the volume? I mean with the headphones you will like a reflex pull them off your head, does that also work easily with the earplugs?
bartaug 10:38 AM - 15 June, 2005
That's the same thing I was thinking....
jack houser 6:11 PM - 15 June, 2005
Nah, although they fit quite snug, you can pop them out very quickly and easily.
eder 8:24 PM - 15 June, 2005
check out the shure in-the-ear ones, forgot what model i have...they feel weird at first but after you get used to them, it's magic.
kage 9:24 PM - 15 June, 2005
I'm using the MD-7506 phones, and so far they've lasted pretty well.. I think I went through 3 pairs of pioneer phones on the road..:-/
jack houser 10:00 PM - 15 June, 2005
@ eder - the E5's are by Shure

www.shurestore.com
BassChamber 10:13 PM - 15 June, 2005
very interesting!!! im considering about buying it!

jack, i would like to ask you...

when you turn off the volume (no sound thru the in-ear monitors), do you still know whats happening in the dancefloor (i mean, if the sound system is working ok without distortions) or do you need to pop them out?

thats the main thing i make me to hesitate about this awesome monitors. i would hate to pop them out over and over again everytime i want to check the overall surrounding volume...
jack houser 10:37 PM - 15 June, 2005
@ BassChamber, Sure. I only have the in-ear in my left ear, just like a pair of headphones. I can still hear normally from my right ear. Plus if you need to take them in and out quickly, you can get the custom sleeves. Then they'll pop in and out readily. I ordered mine this week should have them soon. If you check the bottom of the Shure link, there is the info for Sensaphonics. Or just click here(or should i say hear):-)

www.sensaphonics.com

They make custom sleeves and custom earplugs. I use the earplug in my right ear. These two are really saving my hearing. Used to have pressure, ringing and pain, not it's all but gone.
theBrooke 11:52 PM - 15 June, 2005
Those are nice, but I don't have $400+ to spend on headphones.

=|
BassChamber 8:17 AM - 16 June, 2005
thanks jack, im very worried about my ears, i got tinnitus three years ago and you know, i almost gone insane :S

and my right ear got damaged, for ever! im really thinking about buying a pair of this monitors...
jack houser 9:40 AM - 16 June, 2005
No problem. I have some tinnitus in my right ear also. These things have definitely helped a great deal. I hope they help you also.
Pete 5:37 PM - 16 June, 2005
I have my Sennheiser HD25 now for 5 Years. You can change EVERY part of them and these replace-parts are not so expensive like sony etc. Go for them. First they are not cheap, but in the future they will save you a lot money and trouble.
yuri 7:49 PM - 16 June, 2005
hey Brooke

does the sound still come out of the broken HDJ-1000??? IF so Id be willing to buy them off you.. Im looking to make a 1 ear stick for myself.. let me know!!

Jeurik@hotmail.com
concorde_pilot 6:45 PM - 17 November, 2005
the shure in-ears seam to be quite interesting but 500€/$ is way too expensive for me... but what about the shure e2´s or e3´s? is their isolation as good as the isolation of the e5´s? how is their sound quality? enough bass?
is the build quality good? spending so much money on so small headphones without replaceable parts seems a bit strange in my opinion....
concorde_pilot 1:57 PM - 18 November, 2005
Quote:
the shure in-ears seam to be quite interesting but 500€/$ is way too expensive for me... but what about the shure e2´s or e3´s? is their isolation as good as the isolation of the e5´s? how is their sound quality? enough bass?
is the build quality good? spending so much money on so small headphones without replaceable parts seems a bit strange in my opinion....
pushhhhhhhhhhhh