Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Protect library option doesn't protect enough

DJ_'Ready-Made'_Ren 1:03 PM - 29 May, 2011
When I check 'Protect Library' and uncheck 'enable hot cues', I expect my files and crates to be completely protected against accidental or unwanted editing/deletion, and for the most part, they are. However, I find that there are many things that are still left completely unprotected and I'm confused as to why, or what I can do (if anything) about them.

1. Password protect
First of all, I should explain that because I teach a lot, I have more of a problem than most with other people using my setup and library (though I've also experienced problems with partygoers and 'know-it-all' DJs who can't help but mess around with (and mess up) stuff when you're not there to stop them).

For these reasons, I'd personally like to have a password-protect option so that no one else can simply uncheck the protect box. Without this, it seems the protection offered only provides a safeguard against accidental owner/user error, when it could be a lot more powerful.

2. Cue Points
One of the things I want to protect against most is to stop anyone deleting, moving or adding any cue points, especially when it may have taken me days to set them all up.

For a start, even with protect library enabled, one can still edit cue points, unless enable hot cues is also disabled. I think the hot cues option should be greyed out and unavailable when protect library is on.

But even when hot cues are off, although you can no longer affect them with a keyboard or midi controller, you can still edit them on-screen using your mouse. I really don't understand why this is, or why it's been allowed to be like this for so long. For me, it defeats the purpose altogether.

3. BPM
Same goes for the BPM. With the library protected, you can no longer go in and edit the BPM column, but you can still tap the bpm and change it that way. I'd like this protected too.

4. Loops
As above, loops can still be permanently set, saved, or deleted using the mouse or midi controller. I'd like them protected.

5. Columns
Protect Library stops me from being able to edit tags or delete crates, or move crates around, but I can still reorder files within a crate. I can also change column sizes and hide or display columns at will. I don't think any of this should be allowed if the library is supposedly protected.

-----

I wouldn't mind so much if any of the above effects were only temporary and were not saved to the file (which might actually be quite a nifty feature), but no, they're all permanent. Worst of all, is not knowing anything's wrong until you come to play the files yourself and by then it may be too late.

In short, when I protect my library, I want to be safe in the knowledge that my entire library is protected from any permanent changes. And when I select protect, I should like to be given the option whether I want to assign a password or not.

Also, to help avoid confusion and to speed trouble-shooting, I think a visual indicator that the library is protected should be somewhere on the main screen. I don't personally have too much trouble as things stand, but I've had enough student feedback to know that it would help.

Thanks for listening. I do hope you can do something about this in a future revision and look forward to hearing any thoughts.
D Jay Cee 5:10 AM - 7 April, 2015
then you should request a teacher or training version of the software...because what you want does not apply to 99% of the users out there.
deejdave 1:31 AM - 11 April, 2015
Sounds to me like having a duplicate library (more like several) would fix each and every one of your issues. Didn't read it all but from the starting point I am guessing this is the case.

Have a "master" copy which you have exclusive access to and can update etc. and whenever anyone messes up one of the libraries you can simply re-copy the master drive.