Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Vestax VCI-300Mk2 and the CF-X2 Magnetic fader, with pics

thebulge 2:22 AM - 27 May, 2011
Hey all,

I got one of these FINALLY. I haven't see anyone else mention here that they've put one in so I thought I'd quickly share my experience of installing it.

No.1 Asked question, does it address the cut in "lag". YES IT DOES. It's razor sharp now, no screw mods necessary.

www.rehrehreh.com

According to the manual that comes in the box you are required to run firmware update before you install the new fader. I found the said firmware update on the Vestax japan support site.

translate.google.com.au

It only supports Windows, I ran it on boot camp Windows 7 on my MBP. All worked fine. Not sure if it differs from the FW update applied by ITCH, but I'd assume so. I wouldn't run this if you don't have to. I have not tested with this firmware and the stock XFader.

Pop the back
www.rehrehreh.com

Pull the stock fader
www.rehrehreh.com

Grab your CF-X2 and you'll need to remove the top plate, and install the L shaped one for the VCI-300 - BR300 is the part # (supplied)
www.rehrehreh.com

Connect the supplied cable.
www.rehrehreh.com

Install the fader with the socket facing down.. as stated in the manual. Tuck the old fader cable out of the way so it doesn't get hooked up with anything.
www.rehrehreh.com

Plug it into the middle empty socket on the main PCB (it's in the manual) -- I'd be interested to see if this socket is on the MK1 PCB ? The manual states you must have a MK2.
www.rehrehreh.com

Once it's installed you'll see that the top plate of the fader shortens the cut in space / lag. Hence we've got no screw mode!
www.rehrehreh.com

I've yet to give it a good work out, but it reminds me of the the old Stanton focus fader I put in my 07Pro, although slightly heavier. I prefer it to the Rane fader, and it has that vestax metal on metal "ping" on each click. Butter smooth, take a look at the link to the support site. It seems the firmware update may have adjusted the curve adjustment control (hard to tell from the translation)... as I said I haven't played with it much.

All in all... GRAB one. Vestax aus distributor has a few left, so get in contact with your local shop to order one in!

Bulge.
DJred24 1:53 AM - 28 May, 2011
You know for the simplicity of owning to VCI 300's, I have to admit I miss them but then I feel I was disappointed with out put volume. So does the MK2 really make a huge diff in levels compared to the 1st.

For $650 I think the save vs the NS6 might make this piece of gear worth buying .
FrankC15 4:15 AM - 30 May, 2011
Jesus tap-dancing Christ. Since when does a crossfader upgrade require a firmware update and a specific operating system?
thebulge 4:48 AM - 31 May, 2011
Ever since we started using digital gear instead of old analogue mixers. There's no reason why an Innofader (or equivalent) could go into a VCI into the stock fader spot, assuming it had the same tolerances.

This magnetic bad boy has a bunch of sensors along it and a more complicated PCB than a standard fader. I will pull it out again when I have a moment and take a snap of it's guts.
SiRocket 7:40 AM - 10 June, 2011
i love this fader! have had it in my vci for 2 months thanks to the boys at Vestax USA :) - GREAT GREAT PRODUCT! the cut is awesome.

When i first installed it, i used Windows XP to do the firmware, it froze my vci and had to take it to Vestax USA, which they were able to take care of it, i would advice using Windows 7 only for this upgrade!

Either way, it makes this product AWESOME.
Kepik 4:36 PM - 10 June, 2011
Just got this a week ago. The manual says if you have a Mac, please email Vestax tech support. I emailed them and they wrote back saying you can only update the firmware with Windows (preferably Windows 7). Good thing I have an old beater PC laptop that was running 7.

Cut is sharp!
Dusti Finga 12:03 PM - 24 June, 2011
Does anybody know if/when Vestax is going to sort this out for Mac? And where did you guys get the
CF-X2? I'm living in Holland and can't find it anywhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My local Vestax dealer is a bit of a Muppet and just stroked his chin and said he didn't know what I was talking about...

My x fader went after month of pretty heavy abuse getting used to the small wheels etc. I managed to get a new fader (same as the old one) and this ones going dodo too. Contact spray is not doing the job.

Really want this CF X2.
haze324 1:34 PM - 24 June, 2011
Not sure but has anyone tried the Pro X fader that fits in the VCI-100?
Solidsnake 5:21 AM - 27 June, 2011
Love the CF X2 in my PMC-05 Pro IV, now just have to wait for a Mac OS X firmware and I'll be dropping some cash on a VCI-300 MK 2. Out of all the faders I've tried, this has been by far my favorite by far... still need to try out the Ecler fader though....
DJ PauzD 9:11 AM - 12 July, 2011
Hey guys!!any news about the the CF X2 release for Mac?!? I really need this digital X-fader!! I don't understand why Vestax did not sort this out for Mac..I live in France and a lof of DJ's use Mac as me.
thebulge 9:33 AM - 12 July, 2011
It's only the one off firmware update, surely you can get access to a windows pc somewhere. There's enough of the crap boxes around. :)
Dusti Finga 10:38 AM - 12 July, 2011
Hi DJ PauzD,

I live in Holland. Vestax dealer support is shocking here to say the least. I got in touch with Vestax UK
and they said '..hopefully we will have the Mac firmware ready for releases soon....' - Très vague,
but better than the blank stares I got at my local dealer...just.

I've nothing against Microsoft PC's but there is no way in hell I'm going back to one ( no offence intended ). I recently got a new x-fader from Vestax UK ( the original one ). I killed the first one
getting used to scratching etc with tiny jog wheels :)

Vestax UK said the CF X2 will run about 90 pounds or about 110 euro's.

I love my VCI300mk2 and have always used their mixers but when I purchased it was made to seem as though the CF X2 was already available and ready to go. Ah well, I should of checked first.

That said, I can't really complain. Itch has never let me down and my VCI is exactly what I need.

Looks like we just go to be patient mon ami.
DJ PauzD 11:00 AM - 12 July, 2011
Thanks for these news Dusti Finga... I really hope it will release soon because there is no way I buy an other "classic" x fader..It does not endure "scratching" definitely!!!
thebulge 9:15 PM - 12 July, 2011
Guys... The firmware update only has to be run on your unit ONCE after you've installed the fader. Once you've installed the Fader and updated the firmware you can use your VCI-300mk2 with your Mac and itch as usual.
Kepik 9:22 PM - 12 July, 2011
Yeah, bring the VCI-300 with a USB cable to a computer department store along with a USB flash drive with the firmware update and run it from there. if you have to!
Dj_Nix 12:53 AM - 13 July, 2011
hoping this or something similar can be applied to my ns7...
DJ PauzD 7:04 AM - 13 July, 2011
seriously?!? My wife has a laptop on Windows Vista! So you imply i just have to update the vci firmware by using (and pluging in) the laptop and updating via windows?! Then it will work with my MacBook?
Sure?
thebulge 7:11 AM - 13 July, 2011
I performed the update from Boot Camp Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro.

I've been using it with ITCH on Mac since, works great.... I assure you. :) Vestax just haven't made a Firmware Update Utility for Mac.
DJ PauzD 7:16 AM - 13 July, 2011
Wonderful!!I will buy it eagerly! Thanks guys!
Dj_Nix 7:17 AM - 13 July, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
hoping this or something similar can be applied to my ns7...

www.innofader.com

but to my understanding, i'll lose the x fader curve if i were to install an innofader. can you confirm.
SiRocket 7:32 AM - 13 July, 2011
i did the same as "thebulge".....

and the crossfader curve i believe can be adjusted on the fader itself if you go with inno...
Dusti Finga 8:37 AM - 13 July, 2011
Hi All,

I received the same info from Vestax, but this is why I haven't done it yet-

"We do have the CF-X2 physically available, although you are correct in saying it requires a firmware update on the VCI, which at present we only have the beta version of the updater software, which is only for Windows 7, and not ready for commercial release.

We can provide one if you are happy to try the beta firmware updater, although we cannot guarantee it will successfully install, and COULD POSSIBLY DAMAGE YOUR VCI." - quote from Vestax support email, my caps.

I realise that this is Vestax covering their bottom's and I was thinking of updating via Windows until I learnt that it's still in Beta version. I must be one of the most unluckiest chaps around when it comes to this stuff, so I'll wait.

I'm happy that it seems to work for everybody though and wish you all many happy hours of buttery crossfader action.
Kepik 4:12 PM - 13 July, 2011
Quote:
seriously?!? My wife has a laptop on Windows Vista! So you imply i just have to update the vci firmware by using (and pluging in) the laptop and updating via windows?! Then it will work with my MacBook?
Sure?

Windows 7 is highly recommended when doing the firmware update (as stated by Vestax). I too used Windows 7 to update the firmware. Hopefully it works with Vista, otherwise, firmware updates are permanent and could brick/damage the VCI-300 if the firmware update fails half-way.
Kepik 4:19 PM - 13 July, 2011
Quote:
Hi All,

I received the same info from Vestax, but this is why I haven't done it yet-

"We do have the CF-X2 physically available, although you are correct in saying it requires a firmware update on the VCI, which at present we only have the beta version of the updater software, which is only for Windows 7, and not ready for commercial release.

We can provide one if you are happy to try the beta firmware updater, although we cannot guarantee it will successfully install, and COULD POSSIBLY DAMAGE YOUR VCI." - quote from Vestax support email, my caps.

I realise that this is Vestax covering their bottom's and I was thinking of updating via Windows until I learnt that it's still in Beta version. I must be one of the most unluckiest chaps around when it comes to this stuff, so I'll wait.

I'm happy that it seems to work for everybody though and wish you all many happy hours of buttery crossfader action.

Looking at this link:

translate.google.com.au

The firmware update was dated back in December 21, 2010! Yet Vestax claims its still in beta?
Dusti Finga 6:24 PM - 13 July, 2011
Hi Kepik,

Yeah, that email of mine is from 26 June, last month. Who knows? It seems like it's a 'left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing' type thing. Fine for Vestax, not fine for DJ's.

I'm gonna wait until everything is crystal because a, I'm chicken and b, my unit is working fine at the moment.

But the original xf blows and sucks like a confused vacuum cleaner, imo.
SiRocket 6:58 PM - 13 July, 2011
yea i bricked my original mk2 with the update done on windows xp.... i wish i actually did something wrong lol.... thanks to vestax though i got my vci back after weeks of not having it :(.... i was the guinea pig for them to say its a windows 7 only update.... so you guys are welcome!
thebulge 9:28 PM - 13 July, 2011
A good warning. I would have hesitated a bit more if I had of known it was beta. Thankfully it worked for me!
emarx 7:09 AM - 16 July, 2011
The VCI-300 curve will work fine when an Innofader is installed. Please everyone let's put this issue to bed. The Innofader standard output is linear same as a carbon fader. It has 256 steps, but this should be more than enough to work with, even good enough for MIDI which has 128 steps. Like most decent mixers and controllers, the VCI-300 has a curve control so you can set it for mixing or cutting. If you're one of those people who wants an even sharper curve than the sharpest curve setting on the mixer, you can sharpen the curve on the Innofader itself to get some help.

The Innofader designed for the VCI-300 is called the Innobender. It's hitting shelves the next few weeks. And no firmware upgrade is needed!
SiRocket 11:49 AM - 16 July, 2011
@e.... nice work with the bender, genius! tell phil i said hi! :)
Dusti Finga 2:00 PM - 16 July, 2011
Thanks for info on the innobender emarx. Looks like I'm gonna get bent.
Dj_Nix 8:04 PM - 18 July, 2011
@emarx will one for the ns7 be produced? or planned for the future?
thebulge 10:40 PM - 18 July, 2011
Very clever approach to shoe horning your existing hardware into these. Hats off guys. Well done!
emarx 3:32 AM - 19 July, 2011
The Innofader Pro works perfectly in the NS7.

Thanks everyone for your support!

Elliot
DJ PauzD 7:11 AM - 17 August, 2011
Hi guys!!
I received my CF-X2 and i set up it!! My VCI reborns!!! This fader is amazing and the difference is extraordinary...
The installation guide is very clear and the assembly very rapid..In line with "thebulge" I updated the firmware by using a windows 7 computer and i use my vci on mac as normally from that.
For your information I live in France and I bought my fader at turntablelab.com (an american website).
I received my item within ONE WEEK in a very good protected package.

See ya!
Kepik 4:13 PM - 17 August, 2011
I only hope, if Vestax ever releases another VCI iteration, the CF-X2 will be transferable to that.

Come to think of it, has anyone tried re-installing the stock fader after the firmware upgrade to see if it still works? I'd hate to have to sell the VCI-300mk2 w/ the CF-X2 if a new one came out and also accepted the CF-X2.
Ron M 12:19 AM - 18 August, 2011
Hi guys,

I'm glad you all love the CF-X2. I believe the stock fader would not be backwards compatible as the VCi-300mk2 would need to be re-flashed back to stock. Let me know if you guys have any questions.

Regards,

Ron
jroc453 12:32 PM - 18 August, 2011
Ron,

Any word on a Mac firmware yet? I just ordered mine today and I'm worried to do the update. I also have a Win 7 laptop but I can't risk bricking my VCI-300 MK2.
RicoM 3:45 PM - 18 August, 2011
From Vestax website

Firmware update for CF-X2 installation (Windows)
help.vestax.co.jp
Firmware update for CF-X2 installation (Macintosh)
help.vestax.co.jp

Rergards,
jroc453 6:37 PM - 18 August, 2011
Quote:
From Vestax website

Firmware update for CF-X2 installation (Windows)
help.vestax.co.jp
Firmware update for CF-X2 installation (Macintosh)
help.vestax.co.jp

Rergards,

Thanks!!!!
Has anyone used the firmware update for Mac yet? Any known issues with it?
jroc453 6:40 PM - 18 August, 2011
Kinda funny... It still shows on their website under the Mac firmware download....

Quote from Vestax website....
"Firmware updates are currently only available for Windows operating systems. (08.01.2011)
Please contact your regional Vestax distributor or Vestax customer support (email: csg@vestax.jp) for guidance and latest information. "
Kepik 7:24 PM - 18 August, 2011
Yup, even though there's a link directing you that page, it still says there isn't a firmware update for Macs. They say to contact customer support. I contacted customer support before and told me you need to use a Windows 7 machine. What a joke... So much for assistance.

But from the above posts, using it on an XP/Vista machine could brick your Vestax. So far, everyone (including myself), who upgraded using a Windows 7 computer, were successful.
Ron M 1:31 AM - 19 August, 2011
Quote:
Ron,

Any word on a Mac firmware yet? I just ordered mine today and I'm worried to do the update. I also have a Win 7 laptop but I can't risk bricking my VCI-300 MK2.

There is no mac firmware update for the CF-X2 as of yet. The firmware CF-X2 was tested on a Mac and it didn't complete successfully so the unit had to be re-flashed. Big headache. I would recommend updating the firmware on a PC windows 7. Thanks.

Regards,

Ron
Solidsnake 6:32 PM - 26 September, 2011
Just ordered my CF-X2 today now will have the same crossfader in both my mobile and "big" setup. Glad I built a Win 7 gaming PC over the summer to do these firmware updates!!!
Solidsnake 3:49 AM - 27 September, 2011
Quote:

According to the manual that comes in the box you are required to run firmware update before you install the new fader. I found the said firmware update on the Vestax japan support site.

The website says differently, maybe someone from Vestax can chime in?

help.vestax.co.jp
Kepik 6:46 PM - 27 September, 2011
You can install it first, then run it later. I installed it and tried using it without the update. Not cut isn't precise without the update.
simplesoundz 4:48 PM - 7 October, 2011
where can i order the CF-X2 ? ive tried locating it but no luck! help please
Solidsnake 7:31 PM - 7 October, 2011
I got mine from turnttablelab through Amazon, but I think I bought the last one in stock :( might want to call them up and see when they are getting more in.
simplesoundz 1:33 PM - 20 October, 2011
ok folks... i ordered my cf-x2... anyone has any feedbacks on this fader? i havent got it as yet... but should get it in a few days time...is there any additional stuff i heed?? i saw that imma need to run d vci \-300 mkII on d power supply?? any suggestions anyone???
Solidsnake 2:10 PM - 20 October, 2011
I'm still running mine off of USB but for gigs now I use my SL3's power supply. The fader itself is awesome, reduces the input lag and is pretty smooth and buttery. IMO might be the best fader I have ever used.
DJ CAPRO 2:38 PM - 20 October, 2011
Quote:
ok folks... i ordered my cf-x2... anyone has any feedbacks on this fader? i havent got it as yet... but should get it in a few days time...is there any additional stuff i heed?? i saw that imma need to run d vci \-300 mkII on d power supply?? any suggestions anyone???

you need a Windows machine to perform the firmware upgrade on your VCI
kraal 3:09 PM - 20 October, 2011
that is one expensive cross fader replacement :)
DJ CAPRO 3:51 PM - 20 October, 2011
Vestax make top notch faders... my PMC-08 is still good as new 5 years later

getting an innobender myself soon... nothing against the cf-x2 but i don't want to mess around with the firmware with someone else's PC
SiRocket 6:25 PM - 20 October, 2011
make sure that the windows you use is windows 7..... as stated above!! XP will LOCK your vci!!
simplesoundz 9:30 PM - 23 October, 2011
shoxx.... im doomed then!! i recently downgraded back to xp... i guess i gots no use for it then!
DJ CAPRO 10:07 PM - 23 October, 2011
^ if I understand correctly you just gotta find someone who has 7 to install the firmware on the controller, then you're good to go using XP with Itch
simplesoundz 11:07 PM - 23 October, 2011
ohohohoh thanks mayne!! koool thanks.... thanks alot capro
SiRocket 11:19 PM - 23 October, 2011
the os issue is only for updating the firmware.
kraal 5:17 AM - 24 October, 2011
Quote:
the os issue is only for updating the firmware.

but in order to use the fader you need to update the firmware
SiRocket 9:25 AM - 24 October, 2011
if you read my past posts above, i have sound countless times to make sure that you use windows 7 for the firmware update..... after thats done, use whatever to your hearts content....
simplesoundz 12:38 PM - 8 November, 2011
thanks peeps.... i installed my fader and its working fine thanks to you guys!!! i think its worth the money....
DJ 3RDDEGREE 11:32 AM - 10 November, 2011
Just installed a CF-X2 cross-fader into my VCI-300 MKII. The installation of the hardware was easy. The firmware installation was also easy. I downloaded the firmware files from Vestax
help.vestax.co.jp
then I connected the 300 to my Windows 7 laptop (I use a MBP normally with Serato Itch . I followed the instructions on the Vestax website and the firmware update was completed in only a couple of minutes. Follow up scratch testing was supremely satisfying. The VCI-300 MKII with CF-X2 GOES HARD!!! The more I look at the numerous Itch controllers the more I come back to the 300. It's combination of simplicity, portability, quality, and finesse in my opinion rules over all other Itch controllers.
SiRocket 8:54 PM - 10 November, 2011
i agree with this... ---- simplicity, portability, quality, and finesse in my opinion rules over all other Itch controllers.
Solidsnake 7:28 PM - 16 November, 2011
Yes sir, and with the CF-X2 in it, it has the BEST crossfader out of the ITCH controller bunch by far.
jroc453 2:38 PM - 18 November, 2011
I just sold my VCI-300MK2. I installed the CF-X2. Can I remove it and put in the stock fader??? I dont want to sell the CF-X2 with it. Anyone know if it will work since I did do the firmware?
Kepik 6:34 PM - 18 November, 2011
Quote:
I just sold my VCI-300MK2. I installed the CF-X2. Can I remove it and put in the stock fader??? I dont want to sell the CF-X2 with it. Anyone know if it will work since I did do the firmware?

I was told once you update the firmware for the CF-X2, the VCI-300 NEEDS to have the CF-X2 installed. I haven't tried installing the original fader with the updated firmware. I also wanted to sell my VCI-300MK2. Seeing I can't really get much in return including the CF-X2, I was hoping to keep that myself for maybe an upgrade (if possible) to the future Itch iteration of the VCI-400. Or just sell it separately to get some money back.
jroc453 6:36 PM - 18 November, 2011
Damn it... I though so. Sucks. I guess I have to sell it with the fader. Thanks for the reply.
Kepik 12:17 AM - 19 November, 2011
Quote:
Damn it... I though so. Sucks. I guess I have to sell it with the fader. Thanks for the reply.

Kind of like trying to sell a modified car. In most case, you're better off putting it back to stock. I just wonder if I can use the shuriken platter covers on the future Itch VCI controller. Otherwise, I'd have to sell it also :(
SiRocket 12:48 AM - 20 November, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Kind of like trying to sell a modified car. In most case, you're better off putting it back to stock. I just wonder if I can use the shuriken platter covers on the future Itch VCI controller. Otherwise, I'd have to sell it also :(

Well said :)
dj_soo 1:59 PM - 19 December, 2011
my xfader on my vci 300 is starting to bleed already (only had it for 8 months) - was thinking of replacing it with the x2.

Guess i need to track down someone with windows 7... practically all my friends are mac-based...
kraal 5:42 PM - 26 December, 2011
Quote:

Guess i need to track down someone with windows 7... practically all my friends are mac-based...

vmware fusion will work
KangStarr 9:59 AM - 15 February, 2012
Does anyone know where to buy the CF-X2 fader in the USA?? I can't seem to find any place that sells them??
explicit408 10:29 PM - 17 February, 2012
Quote:
Does anyone know where to buy the CF-X2 fader in the USA?? I can't seem to find any place that sells them??

+1
Ron M 12:31 AM - 18 February, 2012
Hi KangStarr,

Please contact our distributor American Music and Sound. Thank you.

American Music & Sound
www.americanmusicandsound.com
22020 Clarendon St, Suite 305 Woodland Hills, CA 91367
tel:800-431-2609 fax:818-597-0411

Regards,

Ron
SiRocket 1:09 AM - 18 February, 2012
yea!!!!

I bought mine from American Music & Sound. Ron referred me too! #thumbsup
explicit408 10:41 PM - 20 February, 2012
Quote:
yea!!!!

If you don't mind me asking, how much was it?
SiRocket 10:56 PM - 20 February, 2012
in all honesty i don't remember off of the top of my head. i didn't negotiate anything so whatever their price is when calling???
explicit408 11:14 PM - 20 February, 2012
Ok, thanks.

I called them this past Saturday and left a message. Waiting for them to call me back.
SiRocket 12:11 AM - 21 February, 2012
sounds good man, enjoy the fader when you get it.
Ron M 11:30 PM - 21 February, 2012
Yes sir haha....

Quote:
yea!!!!

DJ Kid Stretch 4:16 PM - 5 July, 2012
is there any distributor in Europe who has the cf-x2 crossfader? i cannot find it anywhere!
vestax mods, please, any suggestions?
Ron M 9:39 PM - 5 July, 2012
Hi DJ Kid Stretch,

You can contact our Vestax Europe office. Here is their information. Thanks.

Regards,

Ron

Vestax Europe (UK)
www.vestax.co.uk
UK Office : Apex Buildings, 12 Bridge Street, Bootle, Liverpool, L20 8AL
tel : +441519225405 fax: +44151933154

UK Customer Support : support@vestax.co.uk
UK Service centre : service@vestax.co.uk
tel:+441519339268
Dj Fitty 4:57 PM - 19 July, 2012
Quote:
Hi KangStarr,

Please contact our distributor American Music and Sound. Thank you.

American Music & Sound
22020 Clarendon St, Suite 305 Woodland Hills, CA 91367
tel:tel:800-431-2609 fax:tel:818-597-0411

Regards,

Ron

Just called and they are out of stock and not sure when they will get a restock, damn!
Que Yi 2:21 AM - 1 October, 2012
Last week. I installed the CFX-2 in my VCI300 MKII and updated Itch to 2.222 and the firmware all on my WINDOWS PC RUNNING WINDOWS 7 Pro and it bricked my VCI300 MKII. For those of you who successfully updated the firmware what version of Itch were you using? I've seen a lot of discussion from VCI 300 MKII about how their controllers bricked after the CFX-2 upgrade while on Itch 2.0. I exchanged my unit for a new one and I'm now hesitate to install and update to the new cross fader until I know their is a surefire way to avoid bricking again. I normally use Itch on my MAC.
Ron M 7:58 PM - 2 October, 2012
Hi Que Yi,

You can try updating it on Itch 2.1. When you do the firmware make sure no other program or resources are open. Let me know how it goes. Thanks.

Regards,

Ron