DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Using Active Monitors as Home DJ Speakers

IAmAliLol 6:07 AM - 22 May, 2011
Yay or nay??

thinking about getting some active monitor speakers (Like ones in studios) just to use for practice in the house. is that a good idea or not?

specifically the fostex pm0.4n
DJ Tecniq 6:01 PM - 22 May, 2011
Quote:
Yay or nay??

thinking about getting some active monitor speakers (Like ones in studios) just to use for practice in the house. is that a good idea or not?

Yes! it's a great idea I use KRK's for practice @ home.
IAmAliLol 7:34 PM - 22 May, 2011
awesome, thanks a lot. :)
Marx&Villain 10:20 PM - 22 May, 2011
KRK's FTW
revoke 12:49 AM - 23 May, 2011
KRK8... LOVE'EM
IAmAliLol 6:26 AM - 23 May, 2011
what wiring is needed to hook up monitors to the mixer? RCA to Single male?
revoke 6:39 AM - 23 May, 2011
I use XLR cables...
IAmAliLol 6:48 AM - 23 May, 2011
let me show u the monitors

pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com
BattleFunk 8:08 AM - 23 May, 2011
Quote:
Yay or nay??

Have you decided on those because you've heard them and are happy with the output or because of the price?
IAmAliLol 8:31 AM - 23 May, 2011
Quote:

Have you decided on those because you've heard them and are happy with the output or because of the price?

Both, my brother got a pair for his studio and they sound great and the price is good. why whats up??
BattleFunk 8:35 AM - 23 May, 2011
Nothing is up - if you're happy with them already, why ask?
IAmAliLol 9:09 AM - 23 May, 2011
Quote:
Nothing is up - if you're happy with them already, why ask?

Well im buying my own pair but as i was looking at the back inputs i was a little confused on how to hook them up. :/
BattleFunk 9:18 AM - 23 May, 2011
You could try your brothers out in the room before you buy?

What is confusing about plugging in a cable with RCA or Jack plugs?
IAmAliLol 9:21 AM - 23 May, 2011
The inputs on the back of the speakers are line which i believe to be a single rca jack, im not sure and a 1/4" TRS jack. heres a picture of the back. maybe im just a fool lol.

images.guitarcenter.com
BattleFunk 9:24 AM - 23 May, 2011
use one or the other
IAmAliLol 9:25 AM - 23 May, 2011
........? what cable would plug into my mixer...? i have a djm 400 and the only master outputs are rca sooooooooooo rca to line.. or 1/4" TRS?? do they make those?
BattleFunk 9:28 AM - 23 May, 2011
rca to rca will work

rca to trs will also work
IAmAliLol 9:33 AM - 23 May, 2011
so rca to rca meaning the line input.. does RCA come as just one input on the end of the wire? can you show me the wire on a link?
BattleFunk 9:49 AM - 23 May, 2011
you dont know what an RCA connector is?

How did you set up scratch live?
IAmAliLol 9:54 AM - 23 May, 2011
lol i know what an rca connector is, Red and White audio outputs. i dont see red and white on the back of the monitor speaker.
BattleFunk 9:57 AM - 23 May, 2011
they dont always come with colour

they're not always in stereo pairs

if you have a stereo pair, you can split it down the middle and use one side for one speaker and the other for the other

its not rocket science
IAmAliLol 9:59 AM - 23 May, 2011
im such an idiot. my bad lol
agentorange 9:23 PM - 23 May, 2011
Quote:
you dont know what an RCA connector is?

lol
DJ Tecniq 11:58 PM - 23 May, 2011
Quote:
The inputs on the back of the speakers are line which i believe to be a single rca jack, im not sure and a 1/4" TRS jack. heres a picture of the back. maybe im just a fool lol.

images.guitarcenter.com
from the pic bro it looks like all you'll need are 1/4 to rca cables. This is all you need just make sure u get 2 cables, one for each monitor. But if your mixer has XLR input I recommend XLR to Rca cables. XLR give off a very good signal. They are built strong unlike some rca cables.

www.pssl.com
DJ Tecniq 12:03 AM - 24 May, 2011
WOW! sorry for the quad druple post. Serato forum was acting like a cunt and wouldn't show the post. So i refreshed and that's the result :I where's a edit button when you need one. Forum fail :/
Serato
dave 12:18 AM - 24 May, 2011
Sorry. Fixed :)
DJ Tecniq 12:19 AM - 24 May, 2011
Quote:
Sorry. Fixed :)
MelonHead 3:04 AM - 24 May, 2011
Quote:
KRK's FTW

+1
IAmAliLol 7:19 AM - 24 May, 2011
Quote:
from the pic bro it looks like all you'll need are 1/4 to rca cables. This is all you need just make sure u get 2 cables, one for each monitor. But if your mixer has XLR input I recommend XLR to Rca cables. XLR give off a very good signal. They are built strong unlike some rca cables.

www.pssl.com

The mixer i have is the pioneer DJM 400. looks like it only has RCA for the master.. so RCA to 1/4" it is?
BattleFunk 7:54 AM - 24 May, 2011
XLR is balanced (2 signal paths) (L = left, R = right, X = return/ground/earth)
RCA is unbalanced (1 signal path)

DJ Tecniq, don't get XLR to RCA for a better quality signal. It can only be as good as its weakest part (the unbalanced RCA connector).

IAmAliLol, It wont make any difference if you use RCA to RCA or RCA to ¼" - The signal out of the mixer is unbalanced, so dont waste your money getting something you don't need
IAmAliLol 8:46 AM - 24 May, 2011
Quote:
XLR is balanced (2 signal paths) (L = left, R = right, X = return/ground/earth)
RCA is unbalanced (1 signal path)

DJ Tecniq, don't get XLR to RCA for a better quality signal. It can only be as good as its weakest part (the unbalanced RCA connector).

IAmAliLol, It wont make any difference if you use RCA to RCA or RCA to ¼" - The signal out of the mixer is unbalanced, so dont waste your money getting something you don't need

so what do you suggest i get as far as monitor or anything active.. cus i probably couldnt afford an amp and speaker set.
BattleFunk 10:31 AM - 24 May, 2011
You said you were happy with the Fostex speakers, so go with what you're happy with =)

The connectors will make such a tiny difference you are not going to notice anything at all.

The reason I say don't waste money on balanced cables is because they are useless coming out of that mixer and usually cost more than unbalanced cables.

Balanced cables are great when you have long runs of 15' and over or you're having problems with a ground loop causing a hum. If you're cables are gonna run 6' and you dont suffer from a bad earth, there is no benefit buying them (with your system).

Seriously, pick something you like the sound of and get the cables that connect them with your gear. Job done. It doesn't have to be complicated.

The next task is to get them at the correct height for your head and preferably at equal distance away. That way you wont need to have the volume up as far to get the same benefits. I've seen some DJs put the speakers in the top corners of their rooms 6 foot away from their heads, then wonder why they have to crank them up so loud
DJ Tecniq 3:23 PM - 24 May, 2011
Quote:
Tru, i only said that cause I have had rca cables go faulty. As time goes by and from curling them up alot. The signal became staticy they just became to loose I guess. I just think XLR to RCA wiring is a bit thicker and stronger.
DJ Tecniq 3:27 PM - 24 May, 2011
For example I have a DJM-700 which has both RCA & XLR input. The cables are straight XLR to XLR connected from the mixer to the monitors.
Dj_KaGeN 3:32 PM - 24 May, 2011
I'm an oddball.. but i bought a very nice single passive EAW monitor speaker. and power it with a QSC amp.
DJ Stoyvo 5:47 PM - 24 May, 2011
i use NX55s at home stuff :D
IAmAliLol 5:13 AM - 25 May, 2011
yeah see the reason why i liked these speakers besides the sound was the fact that they were active.. u guys know any active speakers with rca inputs?
Dubba1017 11:09 PM - 17 September, 2019
Hello. Sorry if this is a dumb question but I am confused.
I have a pioneer djm 800. Currently only using 2 technics 1200. They play fine through headphones. Getting no sound from Samson studio monitors which are connected to master 2. Although using rca connections, should this be a problem? Do I need to use monitors that have xlr connections? Not sure if this is normal or possible issue with the mixer. Thank you for any suggestions.
desmorider 1:21 AM - 18 September, 2019
Quote:
Hello. Sorry if this is a dumb question but I am confused.
I have a pioneer djm 800. Currently only using 2 technics 1200. They play fine through headphones. Getting no sound from Samson studio monitors which are connected to master 2. Although using rca connections, should this be a problem? Do I need to use monitors that have xlr connections? Not sure if this is normal or possible issue with the mixer. Thank you for any suggestions.

What's the model number of your monitors?
Dubba1017 5:16 AM - 18 September, 2019
Hello. They are Samson Media ONE 5a Active Studio Monitors. Thank you. Any other info just let me know.
Dubba1017 5:06 PM - 18 September, 2019
I am currently looking for studio monitors to purchase with xlr connection.

Can someone tell me what the master2 rca on the pioneer djm 800 is actually used for? Also the REC. I thought these could be used interchangeably. What can be used on either of these inputs? Obviously not working with the rca studio monitors I was trying to use. Thank you much for any input.
Ulrich von Hurtem 5:48 PM - 18 September, 2019
Master 2 output should be fine. Or, booth out, but that's a different connector.

Record out may, or may not be affected by the master lever knob.

I would use booth out, because that's where the monitors would be hooked up at a party, with a complete sound system.

If master 2 isn't working there's another problem. Bad cable, user error...
Dubba1017 10:37 PM - 18 September, 2019
Thank you for your response. I have ordered monitors that have xlr connections. Do you know what you would use master2 output for? I thought it could be used with the rca studio monitors but there is no sound. Checked all the volume levels. I guess it won't matter soon when I receive the new monitors. Just curious what the Master2 or REC outputs could be used for after I have xlr monitors in place. Thanks again.
Ulrich von Hurtem 11:03 PM - 18 September, 2019
master2 RCA out, is for exactly what you're been trying to use it for. If it's not working, something is wrong. Bad cable, bad mixer, bad speakers, user error...