DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

MP3, WAV, or AIFF? Which do yall prefer?

Manic 9:32 PM - 9 June, 2005
ok i'm about to buy SSL and i've already got a powerbook. i've been a strictly vinyl dj for 5 years now, and have barely ever played cd's. however, when i have played cd's made from mp3's that i downloaded off the net, i could definitely hear a difference in sound quality. i dunno it just sounded shitty to me through the club's speakers---mp3's sound really, i don't know, "squished" to me. definitely lacking warmth.

now ideally i'd like to use all aiff files when i get up and running with SSL, but that's gonna burn up a lotta space on my hard drive. so my question to you guys is, is there a noticeable difference in sound quality between wav/aiff and mp3? what is your experience with playing mp3's in the club? do you guys feel overall that in pales in comparison to vinyl?
Detroitbootybass 9:43 PM - 9 June, 2005
.wav/.aiff files are the best. I use about 60% .wav files, 30% .ogg files (which I like much better than .mp3 files), and 10% .mp3s.

I can notice the difference on a good sound system, but most people can't. You should test the various formats out for yourself and decide what you like vs. what you need.

:-)
SpinThis! 12:25 PM - 10 June, 2005
1.4 will support ogg even better on both platforms... something to look out for.
Detroitbootybass 10:32 PM - 10 June, 2005
Better? How so? I know that it will be implemented for the Mac, but I was unaware of any changes on the PC side...
eder 8:04 PM - 15 June, 2005
i use mp3s....i can tell the difference but when people are getting crazy/drunk/e'd up/whatever, all they want is a lot of music.
DJ Shady 2:05 AM - 16 June, 2005
Ogg audio at higher bitrates if I am ripping/recording/encoding my own stuff.

Wav is just too large to be useful and I dont trust Windoze with larger files.