Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

64bit version for macbook pro?

ethics142 3:57 AM - 11 May, 2011
I recently purchased a MacBook Pro "Core i7" 2.7 13" mainly to use for Serato beacuse my older Apple MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.0 13" is overheating and shutting down during sets!

My question is when will you guys be releasing a newer version that runs at 64bit mode for the macbook pro? I have been able to boot into 32bit mode. Which was a life saver but still had to shutdown during set! I'm sure I am not the only one with this issue...
BOOGIEFROMCUR 1:49 AM - 15 May, 2011
Strange.. I run a MBP 2.7 13" i7 8GB ram, (I know.. I overdo things) and never even thought about the 32 bit issue. Mine is running like a charm and I do 6 to 8 hour gigs.
Till now not any issues...
ethics142 1:00 AM - 21 May, 2011
you sure your running in 64 bit mode...

Quote- Matt C (Serato)

'll explain what is going on for everyone to avoid everyone having to read over other threads.

The new Macbook released in February 2011 are booting up into 64bit mode by default. This is causing issues when the computers connect to the Rane TTM 57-SL. There is a workaround as you can force your computer to boot into 32bit mode to get things working properly.

Try this: Turn off you Mac:
1) Power up your Mac. While your mac is starting up press the 3 and 2 keys at the same time. This will launch Mac OS into 32 bit mode.
2) To see if it worked go to the Apple icon in the top left corner of the screen. Select 'About This Mac' and then select 'More Info'. Go to software on left side this should give you specs. Under the 64bit if it said,"no" it changed, if "yes" is still there do it again.
(Thanks to djfelixmay for this!).

We are looking further into this issue at present, and will keep everyone updated with the findings. But for now, this workaround seems to offer complete usability.

NOTE: This looks to be isolated to the Rane TTM57-SL only, and no other devices.

Thanks.
ethics142 1:00 AM - 21 May, 2011
You can use either of these methods:

Method 1: Startup key combination (for current startup only)

If your Mac uses the 32-bit kernel by default, but supports the 64-bit kernel, you can start up using the 64-bit kernel by holding the 6 and 4 keys during startup.
If your Mac uses the 64-bit kernel by default, you can start up with the 32-bit kernel by holding the 3 and 2 keys during startup.

Your Mac will revert to the default kernel the next time you reboot it.

Method 2: On-disk setting (persistent)

To select the 64-bit kernel for the current startup disk, use the following command in Terminal:

sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture x86_64

To select the 32-bit kernel for the current startup disk, use the following command in Terminal:

sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture i386

Note: This setting is stored in the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist file and will take effect every time you start up from this disk. If you start up from a different disk, the setting on that disk, or the hardware default, will take effect.
ethics142 1:03 AM - 21 May, 2011
Sucks I really want to use the full capability of my new macbook pro and you guys at serato are excuse me "lagging" already had it shutdown and loose track control the first day I bought it and this was supposed to fix that problem with my old macbook....

arggg just fustrating because I spent alot on money on my macbook pro and it doesn't even work right with serato...

that's all I'm sayin...
Dax 8:29 AM - 24 May, 2011
the word on the street is the 64bit update is coming some time in July as part of 2.3
i hear its in alpha testing now,so just sit tight as its coming.
Toby1 8:37 AM - 29 May, 2011
thanx for the tip.. it works a 100%.

can't wait for the 64bit version of serato.
-=| AeNeX |=- 7:26 PM - 30 May, 2011
Quote:
the word on the street is the 64bit update is coming some time in July as part of 2.3
i hear its in alpha testing now,so just sit tight as its coming.

muhahaha! july???? wtf!!!!
BOOGIEFROMCUR 4:57 AM - 29 September, 2011
...maybe it was because I was using the pioneer 800 mixer (and now the pioneer nexus) but I must say that I never had a shutdown/restart etc. I only had issues the first time with one of my pioneer 2000's "disappearing" (internal mode) from the screen after connecting two laptops on the sl-4 USB inputs but that was a stupid oversight from me in terms of not reading the manual. I basically just played digital out with sd card backup till I found out what to do...(You basically just have to RE-assign the 4 outputs on the screen to the player). I must agree totally say that most issues with the 32 bit mode sounded as if it had to do with the rane mixer. Any where I go (other clubs with installed booths) till now I NEVER had a rane ttm mixer installed so correct me if I am wrong with saying that maybe the reason they did not fix this issue in a hurry it's because the rane TTM mixer is not as widespread used in clubs as the pioneer 800 and nowadays the nexus. The usb option by the way on the pioneer nexus works perfect as you don't have to use a midi to usb converter. My only wish would be that pioneer mixers could have more midi options for the serato software which is obviously not gonna happen.
Serato
Glenn M 4:44 AM - 27 December, 2011
Quote:
My question is when will you guys be releasing a newer version that runs at 64bit mode for the macbook pro? I have been able to boot into 32bit mode. Which was a life saver but still had to shutdown during set! I'm sure I am not the only one with this issue...

One of the biggest problems is that the Quicktime 7 libraries only work in 32bit. This means that all of SSL has to be built as 32 bit. I'm sure apple must have an alternative, but it would naturally take a lot of dev work and testing.

You shouldn't have to boot into 32bit mode, but I do know that there was a version of Mac OSX 10.6.6 (I think) that had a bug when using Rane hardware with OSX in 64 bit mode. There was an update that fixed this though, so just update to whatever the latest version is (10.6.8 is the latest at the moment)