DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Steam pipe explosion in NYC.

Certified Quality Entertainment 12:54 PM - 19 July, 2007
Was anyone other New Yorkers impacted by this? I got a phone call this morning saying my office is closed...I was ony a block an a half away from where it happend. I left work about 10 mins before it happend, had no idea until I got home. At least I got a day off work! I called some of my clients and contacts letting them know I wont be in. It seems like no one else knows what happened. Apparently it only made the news in NY.
mr_doktor 12:57 PM - 19 July, 2007
Did some transformer or something blow up in NYC yesterday as well?

(thank you Fark.com for all my current events)
Certified Quality Entertainment 1:04 PM - 19 July, 2007
It is the same thing. At first they thought it was a transformer, but then the realized it was a steam pipe under the ground. It was crazy if you saw the videos. It looked like a volcano erupting in the middle of midtown.
boabmatic 1:10 PM - 19 July, 2007
it made the UK news...

news.bbc.co.uk
DJ Autograph 1:20 PM - 19 July, 2007
I was walking to a bar on 51st crossing Lex and saw everbody looking towards 41st. It was crazy to see all that steam and ish. Traffic was pretty much stagnant. Now they are worred about the air quality around the city. I think its time to move....
djbriguy 1:32 PM - 19 July, 2007
Quote:
I was walking to a bar on 51st crossing Lex and saw everbody looking towards 41st. It was crazy to see all that steam and ish. Traffic was pretty much stagnant. Now they are worred about the air quality around the city. I think its time to move....

ON your way to a bar at 9:30am? lol
DJ Autograph 1:44 PM - 19 July, 2007
^^^
I have issues I know :P

It happend around 5:50 pm
tig ol' bitties 1:49 PM - 19 July, 2007
Quote:
it made the UK news...

news.bbc.co.uk

holy frijoles
Certified Quality Entertainment 1:51 PM - 19 July, 2007
Haha...I got the day off because of it

They did say that 1 person did die from it though which sucks.
tig ol' bitties 1:52 PM - 19 July, 2007
I wonder how many people thought it was another terrorist attack..damn hell looks like one from some of these pics Ive seen.
tig ol' bitties 1:53 PM - 19 July, 2007
check out the slideshow on this...
www.msnbc.msn.com

nutty
DeezNotes 1:57 PM - 19 July, 2007
Quote:
it made the UK news...

news.bbc.co.uk

It made the local news here in Baltimore too.
Certified Quality Entertainment 1:57 PM - 19 July, 2007
everyone thought it was...i was already on the train home when it happend...but ever since 9/11 the first thing you think of is a terrorist attack
DJ Autograph 2:10 PM - 19 July, 2007
Yea I live a few blocks from where it happened and people were running into the building all muddy and ish screaming "oh shit!!! we are being attacked!!"
boabmatic 2:23 PM - 19 July, 2007
some vid footage..

www.bbc.co.uk
cappinkirk 2:35 PM - 19 July, 2007
the transformers are attacking? i thought that was a movie
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 3:08 PM - 19 July, 2007
Caught it on the Today Show this morning. Damn, NYC is amazing. That much steam running underground to blow a hole that big and that HIGH!

We had a serious Water Main Break here in Detroit Area that created a Waterfall and flooded a Expressway but DAMN - you guys WIN with the Volcano.
Certified Quality Entertainment 3:17 PM - 19 July, 2007
Hahah..thanks man!
DJ-A 3:19 PM - 19 July, 2007
so, anyone know what they would have steam piped like that for?
Certified Quality Entertainment 3:26 PM - 19 July, 2007
No idea. But under the ground of NYC is a whole other world. I heard from one of those tourguides in the city that the city is as deep below the ground as it is high above. Meaning there there is so much shit running below the city that you wouldn't even know. He said there are powerplants down there, wires, cables, pipes, secret evacuation route for the president. So I wouldn't doubt they would have some steam pipes down there.
boabmatic 3:47 PM - 19 July, 2007
and rivers of mood charged slime :)
cappinkirk 3:48 PM - 19 July, 2007
some slime leaked onto my pet turtle now he wants me to call him Michaelangelo or he's gonna kick my a$$
Certified Quality Entertainment 3:54 PM - 19 July, 2007
Quote:

Hahah...yea, that just flows throught the city!

MY NAME IS VIGO...RULER OF CARPATHIA!!
Thundercat 4:11 PM - 19 July, 2007
Quote:
We had a serious Water Main Break here in Detroit Area that created a Waterfall and flooded a Expressway but DAMN - you guys WIN with the Volcano.

Thank you. Best laugh I had all day. A straight OG Gafaw.
jwhispers 4:25 PM - 19 July, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Hahah...yea, that just flows throught the city!

MY NAME IS VIGO...RULER OF CARPATHIA!!

hahahaha Vhy am i dvipping vith goo???

I had no idea the explosion was that bad. People were freaking out on my train last night when they heard the news. I didn't see the pics of the damage until this morning.
djbriguy 4:58 PM - 19 July, 2007
I could see george bush hiding out in the Ninja turtle subway station. haha.
CMOS 5:25 PM - 19 July, 2007
I was at a client on 84th street when it happened. Took me 4 hours to get home to brooklyn.
KaGeN 6:54 PM - 19 July, 2007
83 year old - largest commercial heating system... steam pipes... DAMN - New York is getting old.
lvmez 2:05 AM - 21 July, 2007
i was sent there for work and the crater was huge! the tow truck was completely sucked in by the ground. this incident didn't surprise me cause nyc pipes and sewer system is old. what did surprise me was that there was only one death. another woman lost her leg.
DJ Stuart (AR) 8:01 AM - 21 July, 2007
I was heading for the airport when this happened... i thought "shit....my flight is gonna get canceled". Thank god it was a steam pipe.