DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Ipads & Serato

lawrence567 1:31 PM - 9 May, 2011
Afternoon Guys.

I know this has probably been done to death & not being too "tech savvy" i come cap-in-hand for some advise / pointers from local like minded folk.
I'm currently running SSL1. With the original box & i update the sofrtware as & when.
I have a residency in a local club & play occasional nights in their sister bar down the road.
Playing anything really from hip/hop to electro & everything in between, house, garage, UK-Funky, commercial dance, DNB, Dub etc.
I have a mate who works for Apple & when the time came for a laptop renewal talked me into a Mac.
I hav'nt looked back & think it's a fantastic piece of kit.
It persuaded me to get an Iphone4 too.
Now i'm looking at the benefits of the Ipad to compliment my sets.
I'm not really looking to be able to walk to the bogs or visit the smoking room & still be DJ'ing but i like the idea of being able to add effects to my set to make it that bit more unique from everyone elses.
Now my question is, is this possible with SSL1 or do u need to upgrade & is the software for this expensive, what's best etc?
Answers will need to be in Lehmans terms as i don't really understand tech in-depth.
Any advise will be greatly received!
DJDeluchi 3:22 PM - 9 May, 2011
SL1 is fine i use an ipad to control scratch live its all connected via wifi the program i use is midi deck it works well for me you can use it to trigger samples and fx or control the whole interface really all depends on you and the software costs less then £10
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:29 PM - 9 May, 2011
Quote:

I'm not really looking to be able to walk to the bogs

where do you dj, middle earth?
lawrence567 9:23 PM - 9 May, 2011
Lol, i meant i don't want it to dj from another room!
lawrence567 10:00 PM - 9 May, 2011
Am i right in thinking though that i can't use any of the effects serato has unless i have a Rane mixer?
_Stuart 10:46 PM - 9 May, 2011
you can use the effects, you need to enable them first in the setup/plugins area
lawrence567 7:22 AM - 10 May, 2011
Ideal. Is there a step by step on getting started on this sheezy? As it'd be awesome if I could read or watch the basics somewhere and use that as foundation to do my own thing from...
jwagner 7:32 AM - 10 May, 2011
yeah I was looking into the ipad as a work from home solution for my saturday night residency. Any way to connect on a wifi network from my house so I can just dj from there and pick up my checks during the week?
lawrence567 8:11 AM - 10 May, 2011
Why all the hate for Ipads?
I want it for the effects, not for the con's for being able to DJ when not in the booth!
My question was can i use it with SSL & without the Rane mixer else i won't buy one.
lawrence567 8:11 AM - 10 May, 2011
Why all the hate for Ipads?
I want it for the effects, not for the con's for being able to DJ when not in the booth!
My question was can i use it with SSL & without the Rane mixer else i won't buy one.
_Stuart 10:53 AM - 10 May, 2011
yes
djbanno 11:06 AM - 10 May, 2011
Type "ipad" into the search box (top of page, top right) and check out the other threads on this subject.
Soon as i can afford two (one for the missus...lol) i will be jumping.