Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

copy (multiple) smart crates into normal crate

pueblofunky 10:53 AM - 4 May, 2011
Regarding a performance problem, hang & drop outs during djing (see serato.com),

I recommend an option to

select (multiple) smart crates, right click and select
- "copy smart crate into normal crate" (copy has to auto-rename)
or
- "convert smart crate into normal crate"

Maybe an overwrite-warning should appear.

During djing you still can browse, sort, filter, etc inside the normal crates which are must faster instead of smart crates.

For the collection work you can still use the smart crates to find tracks based on tags, etc. and before djing you select all the crates and copy or convert them into normal crates.

Maybe only a copy option is required. Convert might not be a good idea if someone selects the wrong option - however. ;-)

Currently I've to do this manually for 15-20 crates - and my new crate logic would need some more ...
pueblofunky 10:55 AM - 4 May, 2011
PS: Maybe a timestamp ("_YYYYMMDDTHHMISS") could be added automatically to the name of the normal crate.
nik39 8:07 AM - 2 June, 2011
Regarding your original help request: So this is reproduceable? Whenever you add Smart crates you will experience the same dropouts again?
pueblofunky 10:01 AM - 3 June, 2011
Yes, in the meantime I've played again 2 times with a "copy of smart crates" and no drop out or performance hang up.

I'm a programmer and it is "naturally" that a "realtime filter over all" (smart crates) takes more overhead as a "prepared copy" (normal crate).

But I have to say that I've played a long time with 2.0 smart crates and no problems. Switched to 2.2 and always problems. Switched back to 2.0 and it has worked. But due new features etc I'd to use 2.2 and thought (as a programmer there might happen an internal change) and copied the entries.

However - the feature "copy" might be very good because as a follow up you can move a normal crate into sub-creates, etc. ... (there are some threads with smart crates using as sub-crates I think).

You should think about a "copy all" or "copy all selected" smart crates into normal crates (by specifying a new prefix of the crate name ("X_" to avoid duplicate name problems)) instead of a "single copy solution".) ;-)

And as additional feature:

Maybe in the edit window of the smart crate you can specify:
- a marker which: "store as smart crate or normal crate"
- in case the marker is a "normal crate" there should appear a warning in case the normal crate exists that all stored data will be lost and overwritten.
(the bad follow up of this additional feature you will loose the smart crate query if you want to edit again).

I hope that helps.

If there is a new beta I could help (also regarding storing ID3 tags in WAV files - where SSL destroys the files - see another thread by myself and confirmed by SSL which should follow after 2.2).
WarpNote 8:28 AM - 6 June, 2011
pueblofunky, did you try to turn off "live update" for the smartcrates, if so did it help at all?
pueblofunky 7:34 PM - 6 June, 2011
Never turned off "live update". If it would solve the problem in 2.2 it doesn't help. In 2.0 I'd "live update" and don't want to disable it in 2.2. ;-)

However - I'll play next weekend and will try it - but - "live update" should work during an insert/delete/update process - which I didn't (except SSL made updates without my knowledge).

All in all a good point because until 2.0 I'd all my WAV files marked read-only to avoid updates by SSL due a bug (SSL didn't store unknown ID3 tags in WAV files).
DJ Sinclair 10:01 PM - 3 December, 2011
Big +1 on being able to copy smart crates!