Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

RANE - PLEASE MAKE A CONTROLLER!!!!!

WhattaMac 12:36 AM - 27 April, 2011
Hey Chad/Zachary etc., if Rane wants to make a retail product that will sell for $2500+ ALL DAY LONG they should create/engineer a controller.

My opinion of what it should be like:
1) Rane build quality - of course!
2) NOT look like a toys - Numark
3) CDJ 2000 size (or larger) jog/scratch wheels with industry leading frame res.
4) Inputs for external devices (turntables/hard drives)
5) completely midi mappable
6) "Apple Magic Trackpad" style pointer built in

To get what I am using right now it cost me over $6000 to use what I am now and there is a LOT of functional redundancy.
(2) Pioneer CDJ 2000 in Native HOD
(1) Rane Sixty Eight
(1) 2011 MacBook Pro (thunderbolt) 15"

If Rane wants to it could EASIlY become the "Technics 1200" standard for the ENTIRE professional DJ community.

If Rane builds this with forward thinking and creative engineering combined with Rane's already bullet-proof build quality, IMO:SL1200 industry standard for YEARS to come.

Oh yeah and still make it in the USA if possible....Although Apple's factories in China make a damn good product!!
KMXE 6:52 AM - 28 April, 2011
im adding a +1 for the title alone - yes please Rane - design a MIDI controller

im looking for something to control VSL in a club (when you cant bring the 57SL) and also to control everything else. Sorta like the Native Instruments X1 but specifically for SSL/VSL.
thebuttonfreak 10:36 PM - 29 April, 2011
+1 as many +1's as it takes.
AKIEM 8:50 AM - 30 April, 2011
hamzter 3:12 AM - 2 May, 2011
+1, or it's time to move to Native Instruments.
WhattaMac 7:12 PM - 12 May, 2011
I hope there are more people that want a Rane Scratchlive Controller out there!! Lets here it!!
hamzter 7:13 PM - 12 May, 2011
+1
dj pesh 7:21 PM - 12 May, 2011
+1 I would also like the controller to have a screen to show track name, time elapsed, time remaining, BPM, and a waveform for left and right decks. Basically a controller that looks like CDJ1000 screen
skinnyguy 8:02 PM - 12 May, 2011
yes. something like the pioneer s1...but better.
DeeJay Image 8:02 PM - 12 May, 2011
So what you are saying is "Hey Serato, please kill the Itch"?

If you are asking Rane to make an Itch controller is one thing.. but for SSL to make a controller, you are asking them to destroy something that is already built and being adjusted to be more like SSL with version 2.0 coming out...

Something tells me SSL won't be doing that.. they will likely just upgrade Itch.

Rane may make a controller, but since they've typically never built turntables, it would be interesting to see how they could make a jump from mixers to a complete controller...
skinnyguy 9:07 PM - 13 May, 2011
rane builds hardware. serato makes software including scratchlive and itch.

i'd like rane to make a scratchlive controller. scratchlive is better than itch.

itch can still be around. i just want a controller, like the s1 or better, to control scratchlive.
DeeJay Image 7:49 PM - 16 May, 2011
Again -

Why would Serato allow Rane to build something to complete with their own software? Why would Serato have both SSL and Itch if SSL could be built into an all in one controller?

Sorry man...makes no sense.... I know it's wish, but I just don't see it happening.
skinnyguy 8:00 PM - 16 May, 2011
serato can't compete with their own products. if rane builds one, they win either way. they still get paid thru their licensing. if not, then they get itch and they still get paid via licensing. but if they go to traktor or vdj, then they lose. no matter who builds the hardware for that. as long as serato is a part of it, serato wins.

but that's sorta up to rane to want to make one first. rane doesn't make any $$$ off of itch controllers....because they didn't build any. all the ssl users that want a dedicated controller have to use itch.

they're partially there, with the ttm57 and ttm68. just need platter control...
thebuttonfreak 5:09 AM - 25 May, 2011
Who gives a f*ck. If Rane mad an Itch controller Id be all oer it like whit on rice.
serkan 11:45 AM - 25 May, 2011
Quote:

Sorry man...makes no sense.... I know it's wish, but I just don't see it happening.

+1
Where's the point of making a controller for a DVS (SL) rather than the already existing controller-based software (ITCH)?

Wan't a controller from RANE (R-A-N-E)?
Ask Rane!

Maybe Serato in ITCH forums.

But not Serato in SL forums...
hamzter 4:04 PM - 25 May, 2011
On another note is Itch more resource intensive than Scratch Live?
DJ Trice 2:49 PM - 26 May, 2011
+1 good idea
serkan 3:17 PM - 26 May, 2011
Quote:

I don't know.
But I will as soon Twitch hits the market in Europe :)
skinnyguy 7:15 PM - 26 May, 2011
Quote:

intensive? not sure...optimized, perhaps. my dell lappy can run ssl fine. with the pioneer s1, i have to use my mac. perhaps because of the usb 2.0? for ssl, i only have the sl1 and ttm57.
DJ Rookie Germany 1:03 PM - 11 June, 2011
+1
WhattaMac 2:20 AM - 13 June, 2011
Rane IS a hardware manufacturer. Serato is a software company. Scratchlive came out before Itch and was released with a direct relationship with Rane to build the hardware. So why would Serato even have anything to say about it. After all Rane has been making hardware (interfaces/mixers) since Serato Scratch Live introduction.

If anything Rane should have told Serato that they could never create ITCH to compete with Rane products!!

Scratch Live - Industry standard DVS, Video SL, Bridge, IMO - way better screen layout(s) - itch's Suck!

ITCH - created by Serato to sell a version of there software to be compatible with multiple manufacturers (Numark, Vestax, etc) all in one controllers. So why wouldn't Rane have the right/desire to build their own controller.. One that wouldn't compete with ITCH because if Rane makes the hardware it would ONLY run Scratch Live.
WhattaMac 5:32 AM - 13 June, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

+1
Where's the point of making a controller for a DVS (SL) rather than the already existing controller-based software (ITCH)?

Wan't a controller from RANE (R-A-N-E)?
Ask Rane!

Maybe Serato in ITCH forums.

But not Serato in SL forums...
WhattaMac 5:39 AM - 13 June, 2011
Hello?
This is the correct forum for this as this is not just a "Serato" only forum. Who are the moderators on this forum - RANE tech guys Chad/Zach etc.. I rarely see any "Serato" moderators on this forum. Is this forum not linked to Rane's site?

I am guessing you are an Itch user?

Sorry man... You make no sense..
WhattaMac 5:41 AM - 13 June, 2011
Quote:
serato can't compete with their own products. if rane builds one, they win either way. they still get paid thru their licensing. if not, then they get itch and they still get paid via licensing. but if they go to traktor or vdj, then they lose. no matter who builds the hardware for that. as long as serato is a part of it, serato wins.

but that's sorta up to rane to want to make one first. rane doesn't make any $$$ off of itch controllers....because they didn't build any. all the ssl users that want a dedicated controller have to use itch.

they're partially there, with the ttm57 and ttm68. just need platter control...
WhattaMac 5:51 AM - 13 June, 2011
+100000000
Exactly!!!!

Not to mention Serato doesn't make hardware. - they make software. Last time I checked Serato is not like Native Instruments or Numark that make both hardware and software!

btw: I personally bought 2 Pioneer CDJ 2000 (native support) and a Rane 68 ($5000+) to use Scratch Live because ITCH is really no comparison to SSL.. IMO

I am fairly sure that there are others out ther who have paid out $4-5000 for similar TTM57/CDJ 900, DJM800 SL4/SL3 combos that would much rather of had a dedicated, Rane SSL controller for about half the price.. Who wouldnt?
ral 3:43 PM - 13 June, 2011
+1
DJ Mat .live 2:14 AM - 14 June, 2011
+1
serkan 9:02 PM - 14 June, 2011
Quote:

Hello?

Hello :)
Quote:

This is the correct forum for this as this is not just a "Serato" only forum. Who are the moderators on this forum - RANE tech guys Chad/Zach etc.. I rarely see any "Serato" moderators on this forum. Is this forum not linked to Rane's site?

Ehrrr... what?
Even if this makes sense... I literally don't understand it?!
Quote:

I am guessing you are an Itch user?

You're guessing wrong.
I'm an SL user. I just don't see the point of having a full featured controller for SL.
Scratch Live = vinyl/CD control
ITCH = hardware control
Quote:

Are we getting personal? OK. Learn how to quote :p
AKIEM 9:23 PM - 14 June, 2011
Depends on itch getting all the same features ssl has now.
serkan 9:49 PM - 14 June, 2011
I see that coming within the next 12 month. Most of them even this year.
But the chances may be high that you can quote me wrong in January :)
[O/][iii][O/] 1:41 PM - 15 June, 2011
Quote:
I hope there are more people that want a Rane Scratchlive Controller out there!! Lets here it!!

There are legions more. We've been screaming, begging, pleading for this for years now. It's been so long and the silent response has been deafening, so starting to loose faith now :-(

Just one of several ideas submitted by Black Science/Soulsonica: i802.photobucket.com
mkedjpro.com 4:42 AM - 20 June, 2011
Quote:

I'm an SL user. I just don't see the point of having a full featured controller for SL.
Scratch Live = vinyl/CD control

+ 1

All I want to see is a midi controller similar to the Trakktor X1 BUT better! Plug-in & Play, have triggers for the sample player, effects, recording, cue points etc..
I plan on using my turntables 'til the wheels fall off. Would never want to see an all-in-one mixing station for Scratch Live. Keep that for Itch..

I was ready to buy the X1 but I'm convinced Serto/Rane has something in the works. I've heard rumors about it being released sometime between fall and next spring. But who really knows? Everyone's being quiet about it. Or it could just be a BS..
WhattaMac 8:09 AM - 13 July, 2011
The point of having a full featured controller is that RANE would be the manufacturer (really good SL1200 like build quality) and that it WILL support Scratch Live and NOT Itch.. Suggest you try some Pioneer CDJ900/CDJ2000 in Native HID Mode...(WOW!!) I own 1200's as well and I will never get rid of them BUT Native HID is the future of all serious DVS IMO..

You would buy an X1 from Native but not a full featured controller from RANE??

Don't keep controllers only on entry level Itch... Let Rane give it a try... I think you would be buying one... Even if it were to cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $3K.. I would.. Still WAY less money than two CDJ2000s and a TTM57 or Sixty Eight...
WhattaMac 8:27 AM - 13 July, 2011
Quote:

Quote:

Ehrrr... what?
Even if this makes sense... I literally don't understand it?!

R-A-N-E has only one forum it's called "SERATO" forum - what's not to understand? Where exactly should we ask Rane if not on this forum and with phone calls to Rane?
Scratch Live = vinyl/CD control. CD controll is now done with Native HID - No timecode CD = Hardware controll...
ITCH = hardware control
Quote:

Are we getting personal? OK. Learn how to quote :p
[O/][iii][O/] 2:45 PM - 13 July, 2011
Quote:
The point of having a full featured controller is that RANE would be the manufacturer (really good SL1200 like build quality) and that it WILL support Scratch Live and NOT Itch.. Suggest you try some Pioneer CDJ900/CDJ2000 in Native HID Mode...(WOW!!) I own 1200's as well and I will never get rid of them BUT Native HID is the future of all serious DVS IMO..

You would buy an X1 from Native but not a full featured controller from RANE??

Don't keep controllers only on entry level Itch... Let Rane give it a try... I think you would be buying one... Even if it were to cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $3K.. I would.. Still WAY less money than two CDJ2000s and a TTM57 or Sixty Eight...

:applause:
WhattaMac 9:22 AM - 8 August, 2011
Still hoping that Rane will make a "Scrarch Live" controller!!

They make excellent mixers/hardware - A Rane controller would be so nice!!

If not team up with another manufacturer to make a portion of the hardware - Denon seems to have their quality on point.

Just think about a "dedicated" SSL controller with complete midi mapping!!

Oh well I can hope..