DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Ortofon Concorde Scratch vs Ortofon Concorde DJ S?

Mel81 12:03 PM - 26 April, 2011
Product: scratchlive
Version: 2.2
Hardware: scratchlive-sl1
Computer: mac
OS Version: 10.6.3
---

Hi Guys

I am look to buy either the Ortofon Concorde Scratch or Ortofon Concorde DJ S change you suggest which is best for s/l
had m-447 wasn't a fan?
6:21 PM, 26 Apr 2011
Discussion moved to DJing Discussion
ninos 9:23 PM - 26 April, 2011
check out the shure whitelabels, there next to nothing on the m-447's.
Joee 11:56 PM - 26 April, 2011
the scratch is my choice, i like it more than m44 7's & even the ortofon s 120's
Joee 11:57 PM - 26 April, 2011
i think you might like yhe om's better, i think if i ha concords, the arm would have broke off buy now
lumas13 1:56 AM - 27 April, 2011
Since you going with ortofon, go with the scratch
lumas13 1:57 AM - 27 April, 2011
Whitelabels burn out way to quick compared to the 44-7's
Mel81 6:49 PM - 27 April, 2011
Thanks, I think I will get the Ortofon Concorde Scratch and will let you know how I get on!
Joee 7:19 PM - 27 April, 2011
Quote:
Thanks, I think I will get the Ortofon Concorde Scratch and will let you know how I get on!

take a look at this one $200 gets you 2 carts, 2 headshells, 4 needles, & a carrying case

cgi.ebay.com
Joee 7:22 PM - 27 April, 2011
the concords are known for left arms breaking off heres a pic of the twin pack
www.amazon.com
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:33 PM - 27 April, 2011
Don't do Concorde, go OM Scratch...

The PANKS.
DJ metaphor 8:39 PM - 27 April, 2011
Other then the arms snapping off, Whats wrong with the Concordes? any difference in performance?

I've been eying the S-120 concords for awile.
Joee 8:57 PM - 27 April, 2011
Quote:
Other then the arms snapping off, Whats wrong with the Concordes? any difference in performance?

they should preform the same, i had the s 120 om's, i like the pink scratch better
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:24 PM - 27 April, 2011
Quote:

You have more control over tracking when it comes to headshell weights, counterweights, and yeah, that arm lift is a beyoch.
Dj Nyce 9:31 PM - 27 April, 2011
ortofon dj-s concorde. the om scratch is for weirdos.

i've been using the same pair since 2006 (just new styli) and never broke an arm.
Dj Nyce 9:32 PM - 27 April, 2011
come on...it's not 1996. you don't need nickels and dimes on the headshell anymore. if your 12's are set up at the perfect height, weight and tracking you'll be gold.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:02 PM - 27 April, 2011
2006?
DJ-S?
Ain't that the BLUE one?
Dj Nyce 10:05 PM - 27 April, 2011
yup. blue one with the rubber on the arm. i don't think the rubber comes on them anymore tho.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:48 AM - 28 April, 2011
Man, even I'm more updated than those...

Go PANK.
DJ metaphor 12:51 AM - 28 April, 2011
Quote:
i like the pink scratch better

whY?
Joee 1:27 AM - 28 April, 2011
they hold the groove better than the s 120 when skratchin
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:39 AM - 28 April, 2011
Quote:

+1000
DJ DisGrace 2:41 AM - 28 April, 2011
OM mount so u can use Technics headshells. The Ortofon concordes are notorious for bad contact at the tonearm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:27 AM - 28 April, 2011
Quote:
OM mount so u can use Technics headshells. The Ortofon concordes are notorious for bad contact at the tonearm

I heard they addressed that, since the PRO-S, but it was already too late for them to redeem the Concorde for me, plus I was notorious for breaking the arm lift...

And of course that threw the weight off...
DJ metaphor 3:35 AM - 28 April, 2011
Quote:

No way? I dont know if i believe that.
Joee 12:08 PM - 28 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

No way? I dont know if i believe that.

you believe what you want, i been skratchin for 20+ years, i'm say the scratch is better than the s 120
Dj Nyce 2:06 PM - 28 April, 2011
to the op...you are not going to get a clear answer here, just a bunch of dj's cosigning their favorite color.

ortofons are the best needles ever made. you'll be fine with any of them. i would choose between the s-120, scratch, djs or nightclub tho. these are the needles that i have real world experience with. they don't skip, have excellent record wear and sound amazing.

me personal, i don't like the OM series because i don't want to deal with headshells. and contrary to some of the sausage fingers djs out there, i have never broken the arm on the concordes.

i think most people choose based on personal preference as the performance of the s-120, scratch, djs or nightclub are equal. although the nightclub has higher output and is spherical/elliptical.

www.ortofon-dj.com
beezwax 3:12 PM - 28 April, 2011
The concorde arms aren't that flimsy but I've seen a few broken ones over the years (probably only 2 or 3 in 10yrs though). One of my Technics headshell arms is snapped anyway though so it can happen to anything!

I've currently got Concorde Scratch, Concorde DJ, Concorde nightclub (E & S), Stanton 500AL and Shure M447 and they're all pretty good for Serato - the difference only comes when spinning real vinyl......

The Stantons are much tougher and never seem to wear out so I generally use them when I'm worried about damage (i.e. other people using them, boat jobs or dusty/sandy venues) but my preference is probably for the Concorde Scratch as they track best. The Shures use much less weight so they are the best if you are worried about record wear. The Ortofons definitely sound the best when not using SSL.

There's not really anything to choose between the various Ortofons (except the colour!!) and all of the stylii are interchangeable anyway, so you can more or less change a DJ to a Nightclub or Scratch just by changing the stylus. The only ones to avoid are the OM or Concorde Pro as they have a lower output.

Most of them have a similar output (yellow Nightclub, blue DJ, Gold, pink Scratch, Electro), some have a slightly higher one (Digitrack & Nightclub mk2) and the S-120 and Q-Bert have a much higher output........this won't really make a difference when spinning serato unless you have tracking problems, it will just make your control signal circles bigger......

Elliptical stylii sound slightly better (only makes a difference when spinning real vinyl) but they aren't as good for scratching so steer clear if you're a turntablist.....
DJ metaphor 8:26 PM - 28 April, 2011
Really great info, thanks :)
Mel81 8:39 PM - 28 April, 2011
They arrive today (Ortofon Concorde Scratch twin pack) just had a hour mix, sounding and tracking great, didn't jump once even through heavy scratching, so very happy. Thanks for all the advice and input.
DJ metaphor 11:43 PM - 12 May, 2011
I know that this is kind of an old thread.

But I just got two pro S's for 20 bucks! craigslist FTW

honestly. I like them better then my shure M44-7s. in my opinoin, they track better.
beezwax 1:21 AM - 13 May, 2011
I don't think they skip less than the M44-7's but they certainly take a hell of a lot more weight which is sometimes useful if you don't mind the extra record wear......
DJ metaphor 2:02 AM - 13 May, 2011
Quote:
M44-7's but they certainly take a hell of a lot more weight which is sometimes useful if

Well, My control vinyl is beat to ish and about 6 months old. So its probably just the weight. but I really like em.
Asu 4:50 PM - 7 June, 2014
Thanks everyone for posting...great info...been using CDJs and a DDJ-SX....decided to go Vynl. getting reloop 7000 (don't like all them buttons on the 8000) and a Rane 64....there's something pulling me that way and this info is great concerning CARTRIDGE SELECTION

I'm set on the DJ S :-) thanks again,since i'm not a heavy scratcher,they should last a while right?