DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Best Needles for Serato

Volatile 6:31 PM - 20 April, 2011
I've been using Ortofon Conconrde Scratches from my Vinyl days and just kept on using them... they've been ok for the most part (as have my Shures) but I was wondering if there is an ultimate needle / cartridge for Serato?

Do they "made for digital DJ" needles such as the Ortofon DigiTrak perform any better or is it all a con?
Joee 6:52 PM - 20 April, 2011
i used shure m44 7's,i had the ortofon s 120's, i made the switch to ortofon om pinks i like them most

needles is a matter of what works best for you
closwebos 7:28 PM - 20 April, 2011
I have to admit I have tried the white label and the m44/7 and now the Ortofon s120’s and feel the 44/7 are the best all around never let you down set up! White labels track horrible s120’s sound amazing but are really light there a work in progress.
The Return of Dj Sparky 7:31 PM - 20 April, 2011
for serato its all a con really, as all your playing is the control tone so if its just for serato and no real vinyl any needle will work the same more or less,

but if you use regular vinyl too get a decent one like the m447, there is a reason nearly everyone uses them, these ones that are labled for digital vinyl are all a con if you ask me
Joshua Carl 7:43 PM - 20 April, 2011
I think i can weigh in on this with hefty experience and my wallet is proof.

I kept biting on people reviews of needles.
like a kid with a $20 in a candy store...lemme try this one, lemme try this one.

heres what I can tell you.
Like mentioned, it comes down to preference, style and budget.

If your going to be doing and scratchnig other then the most simple stuff the 44-7
is the way to go.
I have the pinks(scratch), the reds (digicarts), The Blues (Nightclubs) (all OM, not Concorde)
all can handle cuts pretty decent. its nice clean backspins they have problems with.
but still nothing like the 44-7... they also put out a very hot signal, especially the
digi-cart...ideal for SSL
they all are pretty harsh on your CVs, so, you might have to replace them a bit more
often if your NOT changing you start location (cue burn) on the record.
I also have the Shure 35x which is hands down my favorite overall needle.
mostly for real vinyl play... but they work well with SSL.
one MAJOR drawback, the styli is unguarded.... and murphys law, its GONNA bend!
even keeping in them in nice cases...its just out there, waiting to catch on things.
they are also VERY inexpensive...but you make up that cost buying styli.

the basic rule of thumb is always have back ups, and spare styli.
I veered away from the 44-7s in 2004...and now 7 years later Im back to using them.
and that based on 7 years of needle infidelity...whoring myself out to every stylus
that boasted greatness...and It still boiled down to the 44-7s
Just like the 1200s
sometimes, someone just gets it right...and thats why they are the standard.
Joee 7:58 PM - 20 April, 2011
Quote:
I think i can weigh in on this with hefty experience and my wallet is proof.

I kept biting on people reviews of needles.
like a kid with a $20 in a candy store...lemme try this one, lemme try this one.

heres what I can tell you.
Like mentioned, it comes down to preference, style and budget.

If your going to be doing and scratchnig other then the most simple stuff the 44-7
is the way to go.
I have the pinks(scratch), the reds (digicarts), The Blues (Nightclubs) (all OM, not Concorde)
all can handle cuts pretty decent. its nice clean backspins they have problems with.
but still nothing like the 44-7... they also put out a very hot signal, especially the
digi-cart...ideal for SSL
they all are pretty harsh on your CVs, so, you might have to replace them a bit more
often if your NOT changing you start location (cue burn) on the record.
I also have the Shure 35x which is hands down my favorite overall needle.
mostly for real vinyl play... but they work well with SSL.
one MAJOR drawback, the styli is unguarded.... and murphys law, its GONNA bend!
even keeping in them in nice cases...its just out there, waiting to catch on things.
they are also VERY inexpensive...but you make up that cost buying styli.

the basic rule of thumb is always have back ups, and spare styli.
I veered away from the 44-7s in 2004...and now 7 years later Im back to using them.
and that based on 7 years of needle infidelity...whoring myself out to every stylus
that boasted greatness...and It still boiled down to the 44-7s
Just like the 1200s
sometimes, someone just gets it right...and thats why they are the standard.

right on, i agree all the way,

i used the m44 7 for many years 10+, the reason that i switched to the ortofon scratch om , it just hold the grove better for me than the shure, i cut heavy handed, one more reason the needles would bend all the time, i only had 3 grams of weight on them

lastly i just bought a ortofon om scratch double pack, thats 2 carts 2 headshells 2 replacement styli & a carrying case for $165 shipped
www.amazon.com

i don't think you can get a deal like that from shure anyware
Joshua Carl 8:07 PM - 20 April, 2011
I bought the same exact setup, ebay I think.
For the Digis, Mounted, extra stylis and a case.

if you look around hard enough you can get 2 44-7s mounted
for that price... granted, no case, no extra styli
Culprit 9:24 PM - 20 April, 2011
any recommendations for recording vinyl? should i stick with my 44-7's?
Joshua Carl 9:30 PM - 20 April, 2011
you want something that puts out a flat signal.
(alot of the needles we use are "hot")

Id go with the 35x(thats what I use, dont forget the rubber slipmat!), a stanton 680

and while I personally havent used it, alot of people sing praise of the ortofon ARKIV.

Ortofono also has another line of needles that are super-high end.
aimed at the audiophiles.
I think the arkiv was a release "for us" to get the best out of our vinyl rips.
(it also comes in concorde and OM)
ninos 10:03 PM - 20 April, 2011
whitelabels for me!
Culprit 10:10 PM - 20 April, 2011
i still have my rubber slipmats, thanks for the tips. I also was recommended the MX97E, thanks for the input!
HandsomeRobDJ 10:16 PM - 20 April, 2011
44-7's & Butter Rugs
DJBIGWIZ 10:25 PM - 20 April, 2011
ok... using a Digital Vinyl System like Scratch Live, it doesn't matter how great your needles sound... the needle is tracking the control tone... your sound quality is whatever your mp3 or wav or whatever kind of file you playing is encoded at and the quality of the sound system it's playing on.
You want a needle that's gonna stick in the groove well and not eat your vinyl up a lot.
The Shure M447 or M44g are great for this... the white label is also pretty good... like with any needle, you will need to learn how to set it up properly to give you the best performance.... you can set up a great needle badly and it will work bad.
Sureshot (PA) 10:37 PM - 20 April, 2011
it's most important to set up whatever you buy correctly.

people have been argue over what the best cartridge is for years (Ortofon Qbert Concord) but people never agree on the answer. truth is, almost any cartridge from Ortofon & the 44 or 35 series from Shure, it set up properly, will serve you well with subtle difference between them.

but don't worry.. there'll be another thread on this in about an hour.
Joshua Carl 10:50 PM - 20 April, 2011
Just to clarify, if anyone hops in this thread late, and gets bad info for DVS needle use; this was a response to:

Quote:
any recommendations for recording vinyl? should i stick with my 44-7's?

Quote:

Id go with the 35x(thats what I use, dont forget the rubber slipmat!), a stanton 680

and while I personally havent used it, alot of people sing praise of the ortofon ARKIV.

Volatile 11:00 PM - 20 April, 2011
and just to recap... one of the main points of my original post was to find out if the "Digital DJ" only carts / needles (ie DigiTrak) are really clearly superior for SL purposes.

A resounding no.

I have M44-7s and Ortofon Scratch's (albeit Concordes) so if it ain't broke....
Free Man 12:21 AM - 21 April, 2011
Quote:

Someone suggested the whitelables for me for this... Any opinion on that?
Culprit 12:26 AM - 21 April, 2011
sorry for the thread jacking, yes i meant recording music from vinyl.
Joshua Carl 12:37 AM - 21 April, 2011
the white label def is that class of flat needles.
I think i read somewhere theres subtle boosts in certain frequencies, but nothing
like the other carts.

though, i dont know anyone who has used it to rip vinyl.
So, I cant really offer personal experience
but based on its whole approach, it seems like it would be a decent choice.

I will say this, the whitelabel matches my color scheme perfectly.
but the last time I tried to used it, it was jumpin grooves like crazy (OG vinyl)
on things like tears, fast chirps, and hydroplanes...
so, I ruled it out for me when it first dropped...
Dj Farhan 10:51 PM - 22 April, 2011
m44-7s + 1
lumas13 11:01 PM - 2 May, 2011
I had good experiences with the whitelabels, they hold pretty good for me, they wear out quicker though
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:23 AM - 3 May, 2011
Ortofon OM PANK. You'll thank me later.
DJ Literal 9:34 PM - 22 April, 2012
Quote:
for serato its all a con really, as all your playing is the control tone so if its just for serato and no real vinyl any needle will work the same more or less,

but if you use regular vinyl too get a decent one like the m447, there is a reason nearly everyone uses them, these ones that are labled for digital vinyl are all a con if you ask me

It's not really as con, I guess there's something in the coding (or whatever you would call it with the control signal as opposed to actual music) that not all needles work the same as they would in an actual record environment. My first carts were Numark CC-1s, after that I wasn't sure what to get so I got White Labels because I thought they looked cool and people seemed to be into em. Horrible choice - it's true they do track terribly. Sadly enough the Numark needles had almost twice the amount of volume out of the signal. I actually haven't checked out the m447 yet but I more than likely will in the near future.
lumas13 10:36 PM - 22 April, 2012
You have to make sure that the whitelabel is setup correctly, the counter is much farther back than usual with those
DJ Literal 10:51 PM - 22 April, 2012
Agreed, it took a while to set up. Just to be sure I tried different settings with the weight on forwards and backwards and both ways same results. The tracking isn't exactly terrible that's kind of an embellishment on my part but it's got issues, and regardless it's output is definitely a negative.
djcurse1 9:37 PM - 30 May, 2012
What about mixing and matching ortofon styluses.
I.e: concord pro cartridge (silver) which came with the silver red dot stylus

can you use any stylus with that cartridge or do you need to keep them the same
lumas13 4:25 AM - 31 May, 2012
You can mix and match with all of the ortofon dj needles except the S-120, but keep in mind the output of the cartridge itself, which is suitable for scratch live
djcurse1 2:23 PM - 31 May, 2012
@lumas13
Thanks for the reply.
Just to understand my output and is predicated to the cartridge and not the needles?
Is this why when I record the low end is heavy, or can I adjust that?
lumas13 1:17 PM - 5 June, 2012
That depends on your recording method
Dj-Dirty-D 9:22 PM - 17 October, 2012
Soo afther reading threw this thread it looks like the 447 is the way to go...

right now i have pro s and they sound good but get dirty really fast im having a big problem with dust and what not, and i just want a needle that traks the best in the shittyest of condistions. is that the 447 im guessing?

and as far as neelde like the s120 that are ment for serato not worth it?

btw i only use serato and don't play or rip real vinyl
DJ Yaitanis 3:23 PM - 29 January, 2014
I see this discussion goes back to 2012 and wanted to see with technology if anything new is out there.

Thanks!!!
Bigga Bounce Ent 3:34 PM - 29 January, 2014
Quote:
whitelabels for me!

+1
DJ Remix Detroit 4:57 PM - 29 January, 2014
i was rocking WL's before i switched to ortifons.

those are some ugly ass carts, but i loved them. they sounded very warm and robust on reg vinyl.
Jiglo 7:35 PM - 29 January, 2014
One thing I hate about the Shure M44-7's is you don't see the crud on the stylus until it's too late, hence why i'd never recommend them, even though they were the choice of most turntablists in the 90's due to their rock solid tracking. I've switch back to Ortofon Concorde Scratch though.

With the Concordes you can see the crud, but I agree with a poster above that if you only play SSL in Rel mode, and don't play real vinyl too, then there's no point going to the expense of 120's, as all the stylus detects is the control signal. The quality of the music output is entirely down to the quality of the file and as long as it plays, then you're hearing it at it's best anyway, so save your cash. If you play real vinyl too though then the 120 is a great choice, if you can afford them, but i'm happy with the Concorde Scratch carts for all purposes.
DJ Yaitanis 9:43 PM - 29 January, 2014
Thanks for the 411
Dj SenSaSean 7:52 PM - 23 August, 2014
Ok its time to replace my needles so I know this is an old post but here in 2014 what is the consensus for control vinyl use only..... m44-7 or concord s -120 and why???
djvtyme85 9:56 PM - 23 August, 2014
i would not get the concord version of the s120 they ruined my tone arm connection point. grab the headshell mounted version. other wise they are great and track very well. i've used them on both serato and real vinyl for the past 2 years
DJ Yaitanis 10:01 PM - 23 August, 2014
I HAVE USED BOTH M447 AND Concord Qberts and like the M447's

I am not a jam master flash scratcher but I dabble...So that is what I think...
Joshua Carl 10:13 PM - 23 August, 2014
44-7

Road tested and decades of nothing but good.

The ortofon a aren't bad. I have a few sets
They do tend to burn though records faster, so if you have a fav CV you might want to make sure you go a little light on the tone arm balance...
Laz219 11:39 PM - 23 August, 2014
44-7s still.
eugguy 1:18 AM - 24 August, 2014
447's have never failed.
Jairen 9:25 PM - 24 August, 2014
M44-7's for sure. Cheaper to replace, last a long time and doesn't burn CV's like my old Ortofons did.
Niro 5:38 AM - 25 August, 2014
M44-7's, hands down.
MeeHow 5:00 PM - 25 August, 2014
M44-7 since 99' great with vinyl, good with Serato
Dj SenSaSean 4:34 AM - 26 August, 2014
Thanks everybody 44-7s it is. It's funny most people say shure but when I see decks out they usually have concords or some copy of them. I did run across single s120 plus extra needle for $79
ninos 5:14 AM - 27 August, 2014
+1 for 44-7s, i do have a set of whitelabels too which are freaking amazing
Laz219 5:36 AM - 27 August, 2014
Yeah, I use WHLBs as well, awesome carts.
If I was solely using timecode though, I'd just buy 44-7s.
DJ Tecniq 10:42 PM - 19 October, 2014
Actually looking to buy new needles and I must say the shure M447's are tha bomb however if you scratch almost every set they get cluttered with gunk super fast and can be hard to clean at times and it begins to be a pain brushing the needle after a few cuts or so. I was gonna go with digitracks or the ortofon s120's. I'm currently using Ortofon Elektro's which have lasted me atleast 5 or more yrs with having to replace the styli hardly. One thing I will say about ortofon's is the hardly get dirty👌
djvtyme85 3:09 AM - 20 October, 2014
most people forget the power of a needle brush and cleaner. the Shure only builds up with gunk if you dont clean every 3 mins LOL. great cartridge but horrible design charateristics. i wish ortofon still made the nightclub or staton made the orignal 680s but for now the M447 are my only choice
Laz219 6:48 AM - 20 October, 2014
I've actually still got a set of the original 680s, not the easiest to find stylii for but I can pick up the occasional one. I rarely use them anymore in reality though.
djvtyme85 3:15 PM - 20 October, 2014
me too and they are the EL. the black 680 with pink writing on them were such a let down. if it isnt the first gen i dont like em. but i only use them to play records at the house, not for mixing.
Danno9999 1:03 PM - 7 February, 2015
I bought some Shure M44-7s after they were personally recommended to me by a former world scratch champion. At first I was cursing them. I had been using concordes for years and they did fine. Now I was faced with the fiddly task of attaching the cart to the headshell etc. The instructions peed me off too!

When I first used them they were like a newborn deer - they looked really shaky. I was ready to send them back.

But the truth was they just hadn't been worn in yet. After a few weeks they were excellent and I'm now very happy with them.

Since then, I had to do a lot of research on them for a feature for the Macho Zapp music site - looking at the history of them and the mechanics etc. They had their 50 year anniversary last year and their design has never changed - pretty incredible when you think about it. Loads of sound engineers around the world still like them for their warm punchy sound.

Basically the 44-7s are top notch.
DJ Tecniq 1:14 PM - 7 February, 2015
Quote:
I bought some Shure M44-7s after they were personally recommended to me by a former world scratch champion. At first I was cursing them. I had been using concordes for years and they did fine. Now I was faced with the fiddly task of attaching the cart to the headshell etc. The instructions peed me off too!

When I first used them they were like a newborn deer - they looked really shaky. I was ready to send them back.

But the truth was they just hadn't been worn in yet. After a few weeks they were excellent and I'm now very happy with them.

Since then, I had to do a lot of research on them for a feature for the Macho Zapp music site - looking at the history of them and the mechanics etc. They had their 50 year anniversary last year and their design has never changed - pretty incredible when you think about it. Loads of sound engineers around the world still like them for their warm punchy sound.

Basically the 44-7s are top notch.
For future reference you can buy the shure m477 pre mounted already on technics headshell. But some reason i can't find them on the internet anymore.
Danno9999 1:15 PM - 7 February, 2015
Ah thanks! That would be preferable! :)
DJ Tecniq 1:16 PM - 7 February, 2015
Quote:
Ah thanks! That would be preferable! :)
odd apparently discontinued www.pssl.com
DJ Tecniq 1:19 PM - 7 February, 2015
guess turntable lab's been making their own. The original pre mounted shire's were 80 bucks a piece so not much difference.
turntablelab.com
DJ Tecniq 1:20 PM - 7 February, 2015
shure's*
DJ Tecniq 1:21 PM - 7 February, 2015
see out of stock. damn that sux
www.overstock.com
Danno9999 1:22 PM - 7 February, 2015
Ah that's right - the technics are now out of commission. Crikey.

Cheers DJ Tecniq!
MPC O.G. 6:54 PM - 7 February, 2015
I have these but I only paid $25 per for mine. Techics gear is getting out of hand as the supply dwindles.www.amazon.com
4mydawgz 4:03 PM - 9 February, 2015
probably best to buy the headshell and cartridge separate and put it together yourself. might be cheaper too.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:06 PM - 9 February, 2015
Quote:
probably best to buy the headshell and cartridge separate and put it together yourself. might be cheaper too.

You know cats can't mount a cartridge to a headshell these days...

Stop playin....
Gio Alex 9:36 PM - 9 February, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

You know cats can't mount a cartridge to a headshell these days...

Stop playin....

Smh

Johnny M to the rescue with that oldschool knowledge dart. lol

Mounting carts to headshells is an art. All carts have their own little tricks and tweaks. I learned that when I finally went from SC35/M44s to a ortofon om pro s. Just like putting grip tape to a new skate deck.

You know what's key and important too... properly balancing that tone arm.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:23 PM - 9 February, 2015
Quote:

Say that *ish again!

But wait, how about a new vocabulary word...

Can the class say "Overhang Gauge" at the same time?

www.vinylengine.com
Gio Alex 10:27 PM - 9 February, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Say that *ish again!

www.vinylengine.com

This too... www.vinylengine.com

I see so many people maxing out that counter weight. On one hand I guess it doesn't matter since it's not actual vinyl/wax, but on the other hand you're killing that stylus.
Niro 10:43 PM - 9 February, 2015
Maxing out the weight will help with side to side, but will bottom out the suspension on the stylus for vertical issues (wobbly platter, warped, cupped records...etc) I usually set my weight between 3-3.5g for M44-7s. 3 for older more worked in stylus and 3.5 for newer ones.
Laz219 3:44 AM - 10 February, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Say that *ish again!

www.vinylengine.com

I see so many people maxing out that counter weight. On one hand I guess it doesn't matter since it's not actual vinyl/wax, but on the other hand you're killing that stylus.

I know it depends on the cart, but I know my whitelabels go to complete crap if they are even 1.5g heavier than they need to be, with control vinyl.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:35 PM - 10 February, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Say that *ish again!

www.vinylengine.com

LOL! That's equivalent to Calculus for some, I just wanna see them get past addition and subtraction.

Just line the needle up with the white edge...end of story....lmao.

You would have thought we were in the Great Depression Part II when premounted Technics headshells dropped from sight....
Gio Alex 2:58 PM - 10 February, 2015
Quote:
I know it depends on the cart, but I know my whitelabels go to complete crap if they are even 1.5g heavier than they need to be, with control vinyl.

Truth

Quote:
You would have thought we were in the Great Depression Part II when premounted Technics headshells dropped from sight....

This had me dying! Also, don't you get beat in the head with the extra charge for buying the pre-mounted joints?

I see them going for $139 on www.amazon.com! The headshell is about $25-$35 and the cartridge is $50. That's $85 tops! Where does the extra $55 bucks go?? You can buy an extra cartridge or 2 styli with that. Those premiums are crazy! lol

I know Johnny will appreciate styli. <--- plural for stylus
Joee 3:04 PM - 10 February, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Truth

Quote:

This had me dying! Also, don't you get beat in the head with the extra charge for buying the pre-mounted joints?

I see them going for $139 on www.amazon.com! The headshell is about $25-$35 and the cartridge is $50. That's $85 tops! Where does the extra $55 bucks go?? You can buy an extra cartridge or 2 styli with that. Those premiums are crazy! lol

this just makes no sense to me, how hard is it to mount a cartridge on to a headshell?

wires two screws & done!
Gio Alex 3:06 PM - 10 February, 2015
Quote:
this just makes no sense to me, how hard is it to mount a cartridge on to a headshell?

wires two screws & done!

LOL that's what we're saying. I don't get it either. They even supply the damn screwdriver for crying out loud. NO excuses.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:43 PM - 10 February, 2015
Quote:

139.00 bucks?

PER STYLUS?

Man, I'm gonna start offering that as a service to cats...Real Rap.

And THANK YOU for using "Styli" in it's correct form...

Now if we can just eliminate "Vinyls".....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:45 PM - 10 February, 2015
Quote:

wires two screws & done!

Dude, they made a KILLING off of Premounted jawns...

That's the ultimate scam...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:45 PM - 10 February, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

wires two screws & done!

LOL that's what we're saying. I don't get it either. They even supply the damn screwdriver for crying out loud. NO excuses.

Stop tellin' SECRETS MAN....bout to get that "doe"!
Joee 3:53 PM - 10 February, 2015
Quote:

apple should make a mac with serato preinstalled ,macbook pro serato edition

they will clean up!!!!!!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:29 PM - 10 February, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

apple should make a mac with serato preinstalled ,macbook pro serato edition

they will clean up!!!!!!

Rane should make a MIXER with Serato preinstalled on a Custom OS. No laptops or Macs needed...

THAT would totally invert the industry.
Gio Alex 4:47 PM - 10 February, 2015
Quote:

Slaying it! Make me wanna open up a shop.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:08 PM - 10 February, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Slaying it! Make me wanna open up a shop.

Man look, you can do straight Homebody Shopping Network style...

****Run up on a flustered DJ, open your trenchcoat to reveal some Shures, and be like, "Yo, I got that good Pre-Mounted Flava...I got what u need"****

You'd own the block...
djvtyme85 7:11 PM - 18 March, 2015
wow mounted a cart to a headshell isnt exactly brain surgery. if you can scramble eggs you can mount a cart to a headshell smh
Joee 7:30 PM - 18 March, 2015
Quote:
wow mounted a cart to a headshell isnt exactly brain surgery. if you can scramble eggs you can mount a cart to a headshell smh

god forbid someone would actually have to crack & beat an egg, eggbeaters…….lol
MPC O.G. 9:00 PM - 18 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

wires two screws & done!

You OG's missed this. He left out the washers and nuts. And it's not a screw, it's a bolt. Are you adding the headshell weight or not? Do you have an overhang gauge. Are you mounting it on the 23% angle.....ARE YOUR TONEARMS CORRECTLY BALANCED before you do anything in the first place.......Just fucking with y'all.......OR NOT.
MeeHow 4:39 PM - 9 April, 2015
do not forget to clean your needles properly
44-7 collect dust resulting in trust after dusk,one
DJ Def Masta Dee 9:07 AM - 8 September, 2018
rip M44-7 ;(
R-Tistic 9:26 AM - 19 June, 2019
Quote:
rip M44-7 ;(

So what's the best one as of today?
CMOS 12:43 PM - 19 June, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
rip M44-7 ;(

So what's the best one as of today?

I ordered these, cant really tell much difference from the OG stylus, plus it glows in the dark ooooooh. lol

www.jico-stylus.com