DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

whats a good budget powered subwoofer?

str8nger 2:46 PM - 13 April, 2011
hi guys and girls, i currently have 2 12" powered yamaha msr400 and they sound good enough for what i do at small to medium size events. however sometimes i wish i had that low bass. whats a good speaker under 900 bucks i don't want to spend 1500 bucks on a top of the line subwoofer i have yamahas so no need for high end since i do small to medium bars/private partys.i looked at jbl, mackie, even the behringer subs,.... thanks in advance :)
radikarl 4:09 PM - 13 April, 2011
db technologies sub 15d
StreetFighta 4:20 PM - 13 April, 2011
check out those new EV Live X subs. they're $800 each
str8nger 4:22 PM - 13 April, 2011
I never heard o the db technologies I Wouk look Into the Ev live
DJ Tecniq 12:50 AM - 14 April, 2011
Here's a EV sub that should work fine that's in your price range.
www.pssl.com
DJ Tecniq 12:53 AM - 14 April, 2011
woops that one above is passive. if you want powered go for this one
www.pssl.com
Sureshot (PA) 2:56 AM - 14 April, 2011
you can get the Yorkville LS720 or NX720 in that price range as well. people say good things about them (including me) and the EV too.
str8nger 6:03 AM - 14 April, 2011
i heard good stuff on the yorkvill im honestly leading towards the yorkvill
maybe even the ev
Sureshot (PA) 3:15 PM - 14 April, 2011
Quote:
i heard good stuff on the yorkvill im honestly leading towards the yorkvill
maybe even the ev

i've got the NX720 and at 75lbs, it sounds great and is pretty easy to move around compared to other subs. those were my main issues when i was shopping for them. i'm very satisfied. i'll probably grab a second later this year.

with that said there are a few great options. honestly, i learned alot on the DJForums Amp/Speaker forum. there are a bunch of guys that post there that have alot of experience with different rigs. it's quite a bit friendlier than other sections of that forum. haha! probably worth a post or at least some reading.
Joee 3:33 PM - 14 April, 2011
you can get the ev live x, elx118p for $700 total shipped from proaudiostar.com
str8nger 3:35 PM - 14 April, 2011
For some reason those sites smell fishy
Joee 3:48 PM - 14 April, 2011
Quote:
For some reason those sites smell fishy

iv bought more than $10,000 in gear from them
Joee 3:49 PM - 14 April, 2011
what is so fishy about this?
www.proaudiostar.com
str8nger 3:53 PM - 14 April, 2011
Really? That's cool I was saying the sub is priced at 799 diffrient websites this one has it 700 that's why I said fishy. But if it legit hey not bad I like the sub even more! Lol
Joee 3:54 PM - 14 April, 2011
no they have it price @799, but they will sell for 699
str8nger 3:57 PM - 14 April, 2011
Ok i see, I'll defently be looking into buyn it
Discobee 5:06 PM - 14 April, 2011
I've ordered gear from ProAudioStar, they're legitimate in my opinion.
djbigboy 5:11 PM - 14 April, 2011
I really like my JBL 18' powered subs, can be bought for around $800...haven't had any issues with them, seems like they take the punishment
Sureshot (PA) 7:36 PM - 14 April, 2011
Quote:
I've ordered gear from ProAudioStar, they're legitimate in my opinion.

i just bought a bunch of stuff from them.. a pair of RCF ART 312As, an NX720P and a couple Shure Wireless systems. they're very legit and pretty good to deal will. definitely one of the lowest prices around.

i've had good experiences with PSSL too but they're on the opposite side of the country and ProStarAudio has a better selection on the speaker side of things.
str8nger 2:16 PM - 15 April, 2011
Behringer B1800D Pro Eurolive Active Subwoofer seems like it has good reviews but i know people say behringer is crap but the price is good for 1,400 watt sub what you guys think?
Sureshot (PA) 3:08 PM - 15 April, 2011
wattage in speaker advertisements is like "heart" in professional sports or "magic beans" in a fairy tale. look at the SPL.. that's probably one of the only numbers you can use to compare speaker output.
str8nger 3:10 PM - 15 April, 2011
What about the jbl prx 518s ? Is that good?
DJS/R 3:43 PM - 15 April, 2011
Quote:
What about the jbl prx 518s ? Is that good?

Great if you are a Mobile guy who likes 18" 62lb subwoofers that are affordable and fit in the back of most compact cars.
str8nger 3:46 PM - 15 April, 2011
Yea I do small to med gigs bars and house party's But if I add a decent ANY sub will make my sound system better right?
Only Oldies Inc.com 12:26 AM - 16 April, 2011
Mackie SRM1801 18in 1000W Powered Subwoofer's give great range and HUGE THUMP for 7 bucks ea. I'm running two at 1/4 power in the largest settings!
Only Oldies Inc.com 12:28 AM - 16 April, 2011
FYI 12" s need at least one sub. Your missing the most hard to drive sound spectrum. Don't cheat your customers, give'm the Basssssssss
str8nger 12:32 AM - 16 April, 2011
I assume the mackie thump 18 sub is the same as mackie 1801?
str8nger 12:39 AM - 16 April, 2011
Well that's why Iam asking what's a cool sub that hits decent? I'm know I'm not going to get deep pounding bass something better than none
DJ Yaitanis 8:46 PM - 7 March, 2014
I wanted to see what the consensus could be since I haven't seen any posts for a few years. I recently purchased a Pair of EV ZLX 15P to replace a Pair of Mackie Thump TH 15A I use as Spots for my bigger Gigs.

As My Mains have a pair of QSC K12 and Mackie Subs 1801 (All Self Amplified).

Since I have been very Impressed with the EV ZLX Speakers I wanted to see if anyone is using the EV ELX118P 18" Powered Subs and if they would be an improvement from the 1801's?
drteith 1:55 PM - 24 October, 2016
Just trying to rehash this thread. I also just purchased some EV ELX powered speakers and now looking at a couple subs. Was thinking of the Behringer B1200's as they're priced nice. Any thoughts?
Mr.Jace 1:33 AM - 25 October, 2016
Are you planning to use this sub just for your home to practice on? That is what this behringer sub is only really good for. I've heard this sub at Guitar Center and it is very compact for $299 new, but not really loud or will it sound like a real sub that you would get if you were to use a 15 or an 18 inch sub. I don't know if you have the 12 or 15 elx ev tops but either one will be louder than the little 12 inch sub from behringer and the bass from the ev tops would still sound better full range , if on a tight budget, the matching ev elx118p sub would be better than the behringer, ev elx118p sub you can find a good deal on one for around $600. Got to shop around and find that price. Or better, save a little and get ev ekx18sp.
drteith 4:46 PM - 25 October, 2016
Thanks for your input. Things are a little more expensive here in Canada so that $200 sub costs $462. The Yamaha DXS12 runs $790. The reason I was asking about the Behringer other than the obvious savings is, Gear Rank has it in their top list of active subs because of its popularity among mobile dj's. It's biggest pro was "excellent value for the money". Biggest con was "under powered for EDM type of music". I was hoping to hear from someone currently running them with their system now.
Mr.Jace 11:33 PM - 25 October, 2016
Real pro Djs playing EDM are using mid or advanced level 18 inch subs bro, not entry level 12 inch sub. Even 15 inch subs that cost under $1000 will not cut it unless you are doing weddings, birthday parties, etc.,. EDM puts lots of stress on speakers and amps, the physics of a 12 or some 15 inch subs will not push the air like an 18 sub will. I'm just being real and honest with you. Remember, you get what you pay for.
drteith 2:18 AM - 26 October, 2016
I totally get that, bro. I'm looking at leaving the club scene to start my own mobile company (yes, weddings, birthday parties, etc.) so starting from scratch and building up. Since these bins are popular, I'd just like to hear from a few jocks currently using them. Not sure if anyone would want to admit using them here though, they may not want to get tagged as not a "real" dj.
Rebelguy 4:11 PM - 26 October, 2016
Quote:
I totally get that, bro. I'm looking at leaving the club scene to start my own mobile company (yes, weddings, birthday parties, etc.) so starting from scratch and building up. Since these bins are popular, I'd just like to hear from a few jocks currently using them. Not sure if anyone would want to admit using them here though, they may not want to get tagged as not a "real" dj.

I don't think it's not wanting to be tagged as a "real DJ" but more of just making the right buying choice from the beginning. A lot of people follow the "buy once cry once" policy.
drteith 5:38 PM - 26 October, 2016
Quote:

I don't think it's not wanting to be tagged as a "real DJ" but more of just making the right buying choice from the beginning. A lot of people follow the "buy once cry once" policy.

Which is exactly why I'm posting here and asking any jocks currently using the Behringer B1200's. Are they crying? Are they happy? For small to medium size shows, are they content or are the Behringers under powered even for these types of shows? Why are they so popular if they're complete crap or is this a case of elitism because of their price tag and past negative reviews? Hyundai used to have that rep and rightly so but now makes some pretty solid vehicles.
DJ Guayo 7:59 PM - 26 October, 2016
They are popular because of the price point. They don't know its not quality. We have peeps from all levels on here. People that rock Danley and JTR down to B52 Matrix. The only thing Behringer that I've seen peeps mention is DDM4000 and X32 (rack). Ask yourself when was the last time you saw a respected DJ or sound company rocking Behringer speakers? Not that Behringer speakers get you through your gigs. I've personally only used a Behringer top when I had a setup that required several tops for fills. I could tell right away it was crap but it got me through that particular situation.

Peeps have provided some good speaker recommendations but at the end of the day. You buy what best suits you. You can only make the best decision for you. Sometimes it works out and sometimes your learn the hard way.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:42 PM - 26 October, 2016
Friends don't let friends buy Behringer speakers....