So who is jumping on Final Cut Pro X??

Rebelguy 2:54 AM - 13 April, 2011
Looking good.

www.engadget.com

Premiere CS5 or this...hmmm.
KMXE 5:22 AM - 13 April, 2011
im keen
VJ Justin Allen 10:26 AM - 13 April, 2011
You will not believe how sick this update is...actually it never felt like an update, it felt like a completely new piece of software!
Rebelguy 3:14 PM - 13 April, 2011
After looking over the feature set, screenshots and pricing I think I may finally be leaving Vegas.
djbigboy 3:49 PM - 13 April, 2011
i may even make a legit purchase!
djpuma_gemini 4:38 PM - 13 April, 2011
Quote:
After looking over the feature set, screenshots and pricing I think I may finally be leaving Vegas.

man, show me the way to seamlessly crossover and I will. I still need windows to IVTC (for now)

Final Cut X looks sick though.
djpuma_gemini 4:38 PM - 13 April, 2011
Quote:

haha only $299 not sure if there is a pro version
Rebelguy 4:43 PM - 13 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

I think this is the pro version but it doesn't mention any of the other products like Motion of compressor. $299 is about right.
Rebelguy 4:45 PM - 13 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

man, show me the way to seamlessly crossover and I will. I still need windows to IVTC (for now)

Final Cut X looks sick though.

I don't mind a few speed bumps along the way. Just hoping the workflow is as quick as Vegas. IVTC is cool but I have seen people doing some amazing videos on Final Cut without the whole process. In reality is does add a bit of extra time to each edit.
dj lad 5:39 PM - 13 April, 2011
I'll take CS5 over it :)
djpuma_gemini 5:43 PM - 13 April, 2011
Yeah, I miss the days of taking a vob and dropping it into vegas, no ivtc'ing no cropping, etc.

It does add some extra time, but I'm anal now and have to ivtc everything (that can be)
DJ DisGrace 6:06 PM - 13 April, 2011
Quote:
Yeah, I miss the days of taking a vob and dropping it into vegas, no ivtc'ing no cropping, etc.

It does add some extra time, but I'm anal now and have to ivtc everything (that can be)

+1 would love to have an editor that could take AviSynth scripts
djpuma_gemini 9:38 PM - 13 April, 2011
haha yep.

or have a mac that can take avisynth scripts.
howcome 9:46 PM - 13 April, 2011
I have been using Ableton Live to mess with my videos and am tempted to try the new FC. I know they are two very different products but the gear whore in me wants to try something new. Ableton is great for making intros and such.
djpuma_gemini 10:45 PM - 13 April, 2011
you can edit videos in ableton?
nik39 11:41 PM - 13 April, 2011
Yeah, and it's horrible ;)
Dj-M.Bezzle 12:17 AM - 14 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

its that new thing apples doing where they sell the software on their app site directly, that way since your not getting a box, disk, shipping, stocking ect ect they cut you a huge deal by cuting out the middleman
Rebelguy 12:46 AM - 14 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

its that new thing apples doing where they sell the software on their app site directly, that way since your not getting a box, disk, shipping, stocking ect ect they cut you a huge deal by cuting out the middleman

Yup...but then again does this version include Motion, Compressor and all the other goodies?
DJ-Phat-AL 8:43 AM - 14 April, 2011
Quote:
but then again does this version include Motion, Compressor and all the other goodies?

I doubt it... That would be the "Studio" version wouldn't it?
smoove_81 12:52 PM - 14 April, 2011
looks good....
ta2423 3:33 PM - 14 April, 2011
I was considering purchasing Final cut studio for 999.00. Is this what some of you are using? Or the less expensive version. Would it be beneficiary to me to hold off until Final Cut Pro X is released. Would rather spend 299 than 999.
Aaron The Era 12:29 AM - 15 April, 2011
I CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!! :D
Dj Nyce 5:49 PM - 15 April, 2011
i'll be participating in some Final Cut Pro X webinars next month. it looks good, but they still have some catching up to do with Premiere Pro CS5.
djpuma_gemini 6:30 PM - 15 April, 2011
Aaron you render on FCP?

I need to get final cut x and test it out. I have an older version, but can't do shit and I was in swifts live tutorial.

Who the hell wants to learn how to ride a bike twice?
DJ-Phat-AL 6:37 PM - 15 April, 2011
Quote:

why ride a bike when you can drive a car?

Adobe CS5 is all you need.
Rebelguy 8:11 PM - 15 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

How is it on the Mac side?
djpuma_gemini 9:38 PM - 15 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

can you take a 29.9fps video and take it down to 23.9fps on a mac?
DJ-Phat-AL 9:36 PM - 17 April, 2011
Quote:

can you take a 29.9fps video and take it down to 23.9fps on a mac?

sure why not?

Bootcamp... windows 7 install...

And from what I know... you don't take EVERY video that is 29.97 fps down to 23.976 fps... only the ones that have extra frames added.

@ Rebel.. I use CS5 on a my home PC worstation and it works great. I do have it installed on my MacBook Pro in case I need to some editing while away from home. It worked fine on there so far but I mainly use my home workstation... I am editing on a 42" TV and a secondary 24" monitor for video previews. That beats a 17" screen anyday.
djpuma_gemini 12:12 AM - 18 April, 2011
You know what I meant.

I've had some vids that are 29.9 with no extra frames so I had to leave them at 29.9.
This was an old school vid and I haven't seen any new vids like that with the exception of caribbean vids.

and also @phat-al.

i have my mac pro with boot camp, I meant a way to ivtc on osx. I've used sorenson to do it but it fails on about 30% of videos that have extra frames.
Dj Ace 4:38 AM - 27 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

In CS5 what app does video editing?
Dj Nyce 8:59 AM - 27 April, 2011
premiere pro is for video editing
after effects is for motion graphics/vfx
Dj Ace 11:43 PM - 27 April, 2011
thanks
Niro 1:20 AM - 28 April, 2011
As soon as it comes out, Final Cut all the way.
Dj Nyce 3:45 PM - 19 May, 2011
preparing for final cut pro x whitepaper (pdf) by silverado systems if any of you bums are interested.

dl.dropbox.com
ancientyouth 7:07 PM - 26 May, 2011
Quote:
preparing for final cut pro x whitepaper (pdf) by silverado systems if any of you bums are interested.

dl.dropbox.com

Okay check the part about the thunderbolt port......... They are making external h.264 processors, freeing up the cpu's processor...... Couldnt this lead to more than 2 channels of video for serato? Serato how about a thumderbolt box/mixer (the 69?) Built in display out built in........what?
dj lad 9:46 PM - 26 May, 2011
There's nothing in there about inverse or reverse telecine..... uh oh......
DJMark 3:11 AM - 27 May, 2011
Quote:
There's nothing in there about inverse or reverse telecine..... uh oh......

There actually are already plug-ins for that.
dj lad 7:40 AM - 27 May, 2011
Oh are there? It would be nice you FCP users would start using them in that case.

Actually, even with a plugin, I doubt you can properly IVTC since the entire process is built upon scripts and improvements that get made by the community.

Hell, you can "IVTC" with TMPGEnc, but it doesn't work right most of the time.

On the other hand, on a PC you can IVTC REALLY easily with minimal work and very few plugins.
djpuma_gemini 2:14 PM - 27 May, 2011
You can do it in Sorenson squeeze, but it works about 50% of the time.
Niro 8:10 PM - 27 May, 2011
And that 50% of the time only works 50% of the time and out of that, Only 50% of the time does it inverse correctly.
djpuma_gemini 9:24 PM - 27 May, 2011
12.5%
Niro 9:32 PM - 27 May, 2011
that sounds about right. the problem is, most videos aren't consistent, also sorenson doesn't officially support Vobs. All of the IVTC options on OSX is based on consistency. I also believe most of the people using final cut is editing off of raw footage and not DVD's. I'm waiting for someone to see the opportunity and write a plug-in for Mpegstream clip or something.
DJ Scorpion 5:14 AM - 28 May, 2011
Any news on the Release (Price / Features ...) of final Cut pro x?
dj lad 6:24 PM - 28 May, 2011
It would be nice if you guys would just install a virtual Windows machine and IVTC properly that way, but I'm sure you guys would rather use the "flawless" FCP.
Dj Nyce 6:50 AM - 31 May, 2011
Quote:
Any news on the Release (Price / Features ...) of final Cut pro x?

It will be available in June only in the Mac App Store for $299.

it's not an upgrade, it's a full app (created from scratch). and if you use plugins, there hasn't been any word on whether the plugins will be compatible.

also it's not a suite, just fcp x. no compressor, no color, no nothing. these may still work, but it won't be integrated.
DJ-Phat-AL 7:07 AM - 31 May, 2011
well... you get what you pay for...

I will stick to Adobe CS5....
Dj Nyce 3:34 PM - 21 June, 2011
final cut pro x, motion 5 and compressor 4 is now available in the mac app store.

premiere pro cs5.5 ftw
Rebelguy 3:41 PM - 21 June, 2011
Quote:
final cut pro x, motion 5 and compressor 4 is now available in the mac app store.

premiere pro cs5.5 ftw

$400 for all three is pretty damn good though.

The line I found interesting in the compressor section was...

"Or choose Reverse Telecine to convert 29.97-fps video to 23.98 fps. "

Curious how good it works.
Rebelguy 3:43 PM - 21 June, 2011
Honestly i don't see how Adobe can compete at this price point.

I may have to take the plunge...goodbye Vegas.
DJ g-force 3:52 PM - 21 June, 2011
I just got it. Doesn't edit at 640x360. Doesn't recognize any 3rd party filters. New effects and transitions look good.
Rebelguy 4:21 PM - 21 June, 2011
Quote:
I just got it. Doesn't edit at 640x360. Doesn't recognize any 3rd party filters. New effects and transitions look good.

So what are you rendering widescreen videos at?
DJ g-force 4:33 PM - 21 June, 2011
You would have to do the project at 640x480 and then crop it somehow. Might be able to crop when rendering out from Compressor. Final Cut's rendering options are limited.
djpuma_gemini 4:59 PM - 21 June, 2011
You can't go 640x360 Wtf.

YOU SURE THERE ISN'T some way to change it
Dj Nyce 5:04 PM - 21 June, 2011
yeah. premiere pro by itself is $799. apple def has the 1-up on the price point.

there is a Final Cut Pro X Hands On Tour webinar next thursday if anyone is interested:
www.filmmakingwebinars.com
djpuma_gemini 5:05 PM - 21 June, 2011
Quote:
Honestly i don't see how Adobe can compete at this price point.

I may have to take the plunge...goodbye Vegas.

might have to test it out. hopefully it's easier than final cut pro.
Dj Nyce 5:08 PM - 21 June, 2011
it's a completely new interface built from the ground up. not an upgrade. it looks easier to pick up than final cut pro though.

also most of the things you learned in final cut pro will be useless in X.
djpuma_gemini 5:12 PM - 21 June, 2011
Well that's good. I haven't learned shit in final cut pro. I've opened it a few times, but can't even get a video in the timeline.

I'm a vegas user for sure, but wouldn't mind working in final cut X as long as it's a smooth transition and not going to take months to get the bugs out like Vegas
DJ g-force 5:24 PM - 21 June, 2011
Puma, you can start a project based on a clip, like in the old version however when you try to import a file that's 640x360 you get this dialog:

www.undertheground.com

Other findings: doesn't import .avi files. Audio can now move based on samples instead of frames which seems huge in terms of editing music videos. Looking for ivtc, not finding it. It's beach balling a lot more than I would like it to.
djpuma_gemini 5:31 PM - 21 June, 2011
Probably have to render to pro res like the old version. Which I would have to render to avi (IVTC) on pc, then convert to pro res (on mac side)
Rebelguy 5:44 PM - 21 June, 2011
Quote:
Looking for ivtc, not finding it.

Think it's in the new version of compressor.
djpuma_gemini 6:15 PM - 21 June, 2011
I wish I could download to try, but only get the buy option in the app store.
ta2423 6:31 PM - 21 June, 2011
Quote:
Well that's good. I haven't learned shit in final cut pro. I've opened it a few times, but can't even get a video in the timeline.

I'm a vegas user for sure, but wouldn't mind working in final cut X as long as it's a smooth transition and not going to take months to get the bugs out like Vegas

Need to send FCP my way so I can put some use to it. Doesnt do you any good sitting in your computer...
Dj Nyce 7:53 PM - 21 June, 2011
creative cow review of fcp x
library.creativecow.net
Rebelguy 8:29 PM - 21 June, 2011
Quote:
creative cow review of fcp x
library.creativecow.net

Not bad. The shortcomings really don't have any effect on a majority of the users on this forum.
djpuma_gemini 8:53 PM - 21 June, 2011
So it looks like this release isn't for pro users and they will probably charge for that later.

I read some comments from that site and most of those dudes work for tv stations and are pulling the raw files from the tapes, which 99% of are not doing, we get vobs, avi's mov's mp4s. Just gotta render them to prores.

Still want to figure out the 640x360 issue.
Rebelguy 8:55 PM - 21 June, 2011
Quote:
So it looks like this release isn't for pro users and they will probably charge for that later.

I read some comments from that site and most of those dudes work for tv stations and are pulling the raw files from the tapes, which 99% of are not doing, we get vobs, avi's mov's mp4s. Just gotta render them to prores.

Still want to figure out the 640x360 issue.

I don't think they will charge for the extra features. I have a feeling they wanted to get the product out ASAP. I would expect to start seeing updates in the next few weeks.
djpuma_gemini 8:59 PM - 21 June, 2011
I would just purchase it, but without knowing if I'll use it unlike fcp I don't want to drop the cash.

@gforce, drobox the install app so I can demo it, haha.
DJ g-force 9:49 PM - 21 June, 2011
There's not an installer for it. It installs right out of the App store. So far I would say if you're used to editing in Vegas this is not the move you want to make. I don't see this as being a go to app for the kind of edits we do. Interface is feeling really clunky to get around in. I'll be curious to hear from users who are used to editing in Final Cut what their take is. I used to edit in Final Cut but moved to Vegas.

Shot a video last weekend and will kick the tires on this thing over the next few days.

I use Premiere as well. Anybody care to chime in on why they prefer it over Vegas and Final Cut?

I've used it to edit videos that I've shot and it works great for handling footage form HD Cams and SLRs. However it lacks in the timestretching/audio line up department.
DJ g-force 9:54 PM - 21 June, 2011
On the 640x360 deal, I think that's a serato users only resolution. It appears as if the effects and transitions are made to work with footage at specific sizes.

Chris, I tried doing the ivtc in compressor but haven't had any luck yet. Compressor's interface is as nasty as it's always been.

Where's Eloy? I'm sure he can shed some light on this.
Dj Nyce 10:58 PM - 21 June, 2011
i use premiere pro and i like it over vegas and fcp because of the workflow, features, not having to render timeline, real time playback, red/dpx/exr support, 3rd party effects, better capture, 64-bit support, multi-gpu/cpu utilization, better ram utilization, after effects copy/paste or Dynamic Link.

you really won't find out what you like/dislike or need/don't need until you try all three.
djpuma_gemini 5:36 AM - 22 June, 2011
I might have to try premiere pro
dj lad 8:40 AM - 22 June, 2011
Nyce, you are 100% correct right and thank you for listing ALL the things that I love about Premiere.

I also love: how it works with AFX and Photoshop, the fact I can import AVS scripts DIRECTLY into Premiere Pro that are already IVTC ready, the fact I can import FLAC audio, the fact that it's by Adobe so you know you're getting the best Creative Suite on the planet when you buy it.

When you buy a high-end digital camera, you buy a Canon or a Nikon -- because they almost exclusively deal in imaging and photography (or videography). When you work with Adobe, you're using a software suite that is going to be TOP NOTCH all around. When you buy FCP, you get a piece of software made by Apple who is focused on iPads, iPhones, and their App Store.

I'm CONVINCED that people that use FCP only use it because they've never used Premiere and because it's "an Apple product".
dj lad 8:43 AM - 22 June, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

premiere pro cs5.5 ftw

"Or choose Reverse Telecine to convert 29.97-fps video to 23.98 fps. "

Curious how good it works.

I'll be honest and guess: not well. It was in compressor before and it didn't work great. There's a reason why using IVTC scripts and plugins designed to be open-source are so excellent.
ClubBusta 1:14 PM - 22 June, 2011
man if i knew what i was doin i'd be on that. is there like a course or a class you can take to handle this? im not ashamed to say it but i'd really like to learn how to do this good. i admit im using mixes i pull from other vjs and i'd really like to finally get on it and do my own. i can mix it live but i have not idea wth im doing when i try to sit down and edit.
djpuma_gemini 3:47 PM - 22 June, 2011
practice practice practice.

Read the tutorials at the top of the vsl page and look for Brett B's tutorial on IVTC
dj lad 11:12 PM - 22 June, 2011
Quote:
man if i knew what i was doin i'd be on that. is there like a course or a class you can take to handle this? im not ashamed to say it but i'd really like to learn how to do this good. i admit im using mixes i pull from other vjs and i'd really like to finally get on it and do my own. i can mix it live but i have not idea wth im doing when i try to sit down and edit.

Yeah it's really easy to do once you learn how. And the learning curve isn't that bad.
DJ-Phat-AL 12:24 AM - 23 June, 2011
Quote:
i use premiere pro and i like it over vegas and fcp because of the workflow, features, not having to render timeline, real time playback, red/dpx/exr support, 3rd party effects, better capture, 64-bit support, multi-gpu/cpu utilization, better ram utilization, after effects copy/paste or Dynamic Link.

you really won't find out what you like/dislike or need/don't need until you try all three.

^ ^ what he said.... ^ ^

It just works... like DJ-ing with a Mac instead of a PC....
Not ALL apple products are all that...
djpuma_gemini 12:26 AM - 23 June, 2011
How's the learning curve from Vegas to Premier (pretty similar, or like learning a new language)
Dj Nyce 1:57 AM - 23 June, 2011
Quote:
How's the learning curve from Vegas to Premier (pretty similar, or like learning a new language)

its pretty similar. they have a similar layout, similar tools. workflow is a little different (sequence setup, rendering).

tip: premiere pro defaults to frames, timecode or feet + frames. to set in/out, edit or navigate at the audio sample level: In the Source, Program Monitor or Timeline panel menu (at the top left of each panel), right-click & choose Show Audio Time Units.
dj lad 6:57 AM - 23 June, 2011
If you know Photoshop, you have a big leg up on Premiere. It's always similar hotkeys, which is awesome. You can actually set your Premiere hotkeys to be the same as FCP, which makes for an easy transition as well.
DJ g-force 3:08 PM - 23 June, 2011
I used FCPX on a music video I shot last night. Overall it was a very smooth experience. I've been using Premiere to edit in HD for about a year and the playback is good but FCPX stepped it way up.

What's good: Color Match! - Surrounding clips moving out of your way as you expand clips. (Like a Boss) - If you're using a 30" monitor FCPX's interface fills this space nicely. - Video only edit mode was very useful for me. - While not as expansive as Magic Bullet Looks, Apple's included Looks are really nice.

What's bad: Drop down tool bar? Just give me a strip of tools. - Transitions will only work in Storylines. It's easy enough to turn clips into a storyline - just seems like a extra step you shouldn't have to do.

What's odd: The whole single lane concept is really different than the multi-track set up that all other editors based around. I kept wanting to adjust settings for an entire track but that just doesn't exist. You adjust each clip separately. The more I got used to the more I liked it. - No saving. I kept wanting to save after a few edits. There's no drop down or command for it.

Other notes:

My home tower 24gb ram - 1.5 nvidia card beat the hell out of my work tower 16gb ram - 1gb nvidia card in overall performance. I didn't get a single beach ball on a 4 hour editing session. I've had multiple beach balls on the work computer.

Tips for lining up audio: I'm not a fan of the way FCPX displays audio - switching your clips to dual mono and only turning on one side makes the wave forms easier to see and hear. You can actually drag a clip of footage over a base audio track and hear if it's matching up as it plays back in real time.

Note on lack of 640x360 support - Compressor can crop your footage on export.

Note on saving - There's not a way of just saving out a section a video unless you use Compressor to set in and out points.

A shortcut you'll want to learn quickly is using the S key for turning the skimmer on and off. Skimmer playback can be really annoying when you don't need it.

---------

Overall I'm liking it. It worked great for my project. I can't say it's the perfect solution for VJ edits but it's another option that will indeed work. Especially if your machine spec is high.

If you want to get up to speed quickly check out Ripple Training's FCPX tutorial.
Dj Nyce 4:31 PM - 23 June, 2011
i just purchased fcp x and after using it for 2 hours i am applying for a refund.

this is def not a 'pro' app. most of the basic nle features of the modern age are missing. if you drink the apple kool aid you would probably defend apple with some bullshit excuse. not me, i'm nuetral. if you have a dslr, there is a 90% chance that fcp x will not be able to ingest and you will have to copy from the memory card and you will lose all the metadata.

there is a ton of stuff that fcpx doesn't do. i wish they had a trial so you can see for yourself.

i'll post up more gotchas as i get over my disbelief and anger.
Dj Nyce 4:32 PM - 23 June, 2011
also they should've just named it iMovie Prosumer X
dj lad 5:00 PM - 23 June, 2011
I work in the TV/Film industry as freelance and here's what a friend said about it:

Quote:
My two cents from what I have been reading: FCPX has some pretty cool new features but there is way too much that is missing for it to be viable for use by professional editors… even, in some cases, single-system one-man band freelancers.

No EDL, XML, or OMF is a major dealbreaker for me as, even on my one-man-band projects, I often send sequences to After Effects or Color. The fact that they killed Color and then gave no way to go to any other external color grading application because they figure that those dots (I don't see how high-end color grading can be done with those dots for the life of me) are good enough for any colorist is mind boggling to me.

No separate sequences would severely complicate the workflow for the TV show I work on every week, as we divide it up into segments and I give each segment its own sequence. I can't imagine having to go through one big sequence and individually mark each segment in and out, that would be insanely time-consuming.

The fact that FCPX insists on dumping projects and media all over your internal hard drive with the way to get projects organized on an external drive extremely complicated is another major dealbreaker for me, and it makes me wonder about something I haven't even heard anyone else bring up: how is a school supposed to use this program? When I was in school I rarely ever worked on a project on the same workstation twice. What would I have done if the editing software had insisted on using the internal drive? The barriers Apple has put up in this program with regard to project portability will be a major dealbreaker with most schools also, project portability is a must in that kind of environment.

I could go on but most of this has already been said. I really have to wonder if Apple actually consulted with any professional editors when making this new version of FCP. Me, I'll install X on a separate partition so I can learn it cause I know I'll need to know it at some point, but for my work I'm sticking with FCP7 and Premiere Pro (which I use at the TV station I work at), hoping Apple either adds the features professionals need to future versions of X or acknowledges it as a New Coke and kills it off following a rollout of Final Cut Studio Classic 4 (featuring Final Cut Pro Classic 8, Motion 5, Color 2.0, Soundtrack Pro 4, Compressor 5, and introducing Blu-Ray Studio Pro, yeah that's right). If not, I will be a full-time Premiere Pro editor once support for FCP7 stops.
dpetree 5:01 PM - 23 June, 2011
DJ Nyce,,let me know how that refund goes.i would love to do the same thing
dj lad 5:02 PM - 23 June, 2011
Quote:
i just purchased fcp x and after using it for 2 hours i am applying for a refund.

this is def not a 'pro' app. most of the basic nle features of the modern age are missing. if you drink the apple kool aid you would probably defend apple with some bullshit excuse. not me, i'm nuetral. if you have a dslr, there is a 90% chance that fcp x will not be able to ingest and you will have to copy from the memory card and you will lose all the metadata.

This. The only reason someone would use FCP X (or even 7) at this point is because they're an Apple fanboy.
dj lad 5:03 PM - 23 June, 2011
Sorry, would use FCP X over Premiere or FCP 7 at this point...
DJBIGWIZ 5:14 PM - 23 June, 2011
does anybody know if you can set up a multiclip sequence in X for a multi cam shoot?
Dj Nyce 5:42 PM - 23 June, 2011
Quote:
does anybody know if you can set up a multiclip sequence in X for a multi cam shoot?

nope
Dj Nyce 5:49 PM - 23 June, 2011
multicam is gone, you can't make subclips, you can't reconnnect media also you cannot export sections of the 'timeline'. you have to send the entire thing to compressor, then set in/out points in compressor.

Walter Biscardi highlights most of the fails: magazine.creativecow.net

for a dj/vj editing videos: fail. if apple smartens up and add basic nle features in to fcp x i may revisit.

for video editing: fail. no film or effects houses will be using fcp x anytime soon for commercial releases.

for making a dvd for the family of your baby brother's first recital: go for it!
DJBIGWIZ 7:38 PM - 23 June, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

nope

damn... thats crazy... just seems like iMovie PRO haha
Thanks Nyce.
DJ Scorpion 6:39 AM - 25 June, 2011
Hi there.
I'm just getting started on video editing and do not own any of the big players in the game like Vegas or premiere yet, nor the previous final cut. So the missing import function is no big deal for me. Nor is the missing hardware support for cams and stuff .... Basically I need a software to trim / crop / time-stretch, blend videos and a few effects ... That's about it.

With that said (and considering the price point) final cut pro x is the way to go for me, or isn't it? Plz get at me, I'm a little unsure after reading all these negative comments.
DJ g-force 7:41 AM - 25 June, 2011
So far I've done 4 edits with it. It can handle what you're wanting to do. No doubt.

I can't really recommend Compressor though. It will do the job but it hangs up on me just about every time.

Exporting at its native format is really fast though. I take the .movs and export .mp4s with Squeeze.

I've experienced a few oddities here and there. Like frames being thrown in for no reason but I used to see that in FCP. It likes to have an occasional freeze every now and then.
DJ Scorpion 7:47 PM - 25 June, 2011
thx for sharing your first impressions ... what machine are you running fcpx on since you get freezes and hangs ...?
DJ g-force 7:26 PM - 26 June, 2011
Tower 3.0 Xeon - 24gb ram - 1.5 Nvidia card has worked the best so far. Tower 2.6 Xeon - 16gb ram - 1gb ATI card not as good. Laptop - 2.5 Dual Core 8gb 1gb Nividia card struggles quite a bit.

If your working with a sandy bridge processor I'm betting your experience will be good. But the more ram you have the better the experience for sure.
djpuma_gemini 8:19 PM - 26 June, 2011
G,

what do I do from here, haha

www.djpuma.com
Dj Nyce 11:59 PM - 26 June, 2011
Quote:
G,

what do I do from here, haha

www.djpuma.com

lol. a few clients want some cuts in fcp x so i guess i gotta ride it out. anyways i read the entire manual and just got done with ripple training.

"what do i do from here' is an understatement
djpuma_gemini 12:22 AM - 27 June, 2011
haha, I know.
DJ g-force 12:27 AM - 27 June, 2011
First off hit the "i" icon to keep the info box displayed, you'll be using that a lot.

Second, buy more ram. Heh.
DJ g-force 12:31 AM - 27 June, 2011
I've been putting the main audio that I'm editing everything to in the "storyline" lane and then adding all the video clips on top of it. So far so good.
DJ Scorpion 7:17 AM - 27 June, 2011
So basically what you're saying is that it will probably not make any sense trying to run fcpx on a mbp with a dual processor and 4 gb ram, right? Like I said, I only wanna do basic music video editing & remixing with this setup, no fancy hd ish with tons of effects .... I wish they had a demo-version available ....
DJ g-force 11:49 AM - 27 June, 2011
Will it work? Yes. Would I want to use that machine to edit on? No, but perhaps I'm spoiled in a world of Sandy Bridge i7s and Xeons.

I'm not really sure how well Garageband runs these days but when it first came out it felt like it was taxing every resource your computer had to its full extent. FCPX kind of feels that way too but what saves it is its ability to take full advantage of all of your ram and all the cores of your processors. So the better spec your machine has the better your experience will be.

I suppose the question you have to ask yourself is, what other options are available at $299?
DJ Scorpion 4:50 PM - 27 June, 2011
Quote:
I suppose the question you have to ask yourself is, what other options are available at $299?

That's exactly my point, but it should work at least "somehow" (like u said).
But Thx again for your Input, i will go Ahead and give it a try.
Dj Nyce 9:58 PM - 27 June, 2011
i have run fcp x on a mid 2009 13" macbook pro (dual-core, 4gb) just fine. i painfully made a basic edit and exported to compressor.

i have a 2011 quad core macbook pro but i will not taint it with iMovie err FCP X.
DJBIGWIZ 10:01 PM - 27 June, 2011
Quote:

i have a 2011 quad core macbook pro but i will not taint it with iMovie err FCP X.

hahaha
nik39 11:25 AM - 28 June, 2011
lol..

www.petitiononline.com

Looks like people are really pissed.

Translation of an article on one of the biggest german IT online mag

translate.google.de
djpuma_gemini 1:57 PM - 28 June, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

hahaha

Yep my 2010 is runnin 10.6.6, so I loaded fcp x on my mac pro
dj vegas 9:28 PM - 28 June, 2011
djpuma_gemini 9:38 PM - 28 June, 2011
Saw that.

Apple has been f'ing up lately.

Let's revamp the entire software and make it suck so all PRO's hate it.
They should have called it Final Cut Beginners edition and made a real pro version.
DJMark 11:48 PM - 28 June, 2011
Oh well...the previous version of FCP is still working well enough for me. Guess I just have to get over the fact that it's using about 1/10th of the available resources in my Mac Pro.

My main personal annoyance is that, knowing FCP X was about to come out soon, a few weeks ago I dumped nearly $300 in change into one of those Coinstar machines and took an iTunes credit in exchange (if you take cash, those machines charge a percentage). So now I've got a stupid amount of $ sitting in my iTunes account for no good reason.
ta2423 12:21 AM - 29 June, 2011
^ HA HA... If you have kids, They will tear right through that $.
djpuma_gemini 12:21 AM - 29 June, 2011
you can buy legal music videos from itunes.
haha
DJMark 12:36 AM - 29 June, 2011
Thanks Puma.

*spank*
FunkyRob 1:14 AM - 29 June, 2011
damn, that's a lot of pennies, dimes & nickels.

My family has been putting change in one of those giant drinking water bottles for a really long time. I think it probably only has about $20.
DJ-Phat-AL 1:22 AM - 29 June, 2011
dj vegas 1:44 AM - 29 June, 2011
i tried to post this on Facebook but it did not allow it lol apple is sooo gangsta!!!
dj vegas 1:44 AM - 29 June, 2011
maybe apple will come out with a vsl update lol
DJ-Phat-AL 2:35 AM - 29 June, 2011
Quote:
i tried to post this on Facebook but it did not allow it

same here.... so I had to use twitter....
dj lad 4:41 AM - 29 June, 2011
Aww you guys need to just come to real editing software by a company that actually makes creative software for their living.
Rebelguy 5:20 AM - 29 June, 2011
Quote:
Aww you guys need to just come to real editing software by a company that actually makes creative software for their living.

I hear ya. I may be pulling the trigger on the Production Premium Suite soon.
DJ-Phat-AL 5:43 AM - 29 June, 2011
told you chris... adobe is where it is at!
ta2423 9:36 AM - 29 June, 2011
Quote:
told you chris... adobe is where it is at!

Ive been looking at Adobe... Im assuming production premium suite is where its at?
nik39 10:23 AM - 29 June, 2011
So I assume next step from Apple will be..

Logic X - a prosumer version of Garageband.
djpuma_gemini 2:02 PM - 29 June, 2011
haha.
dj lad 8:53 PM - 29 June, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

I hear ya. I may be pulling the trigger on the Production Premium Suite soon.

You've got a lesson via Skype waiting for you if you decide to make the jump, buddy.
djpuma_gemini 8:56 PM - 29 June, 2011
someone make a "transition from vegas to premiere video" and I'm there.
DJ-Phat-AL 10:12 PM - 29 June, 2011
Quote:
someone make a "transition from vegas to premiere video" and I'm there.

I did... that was a while back... haven't looked back since. like using a Mac to DJ with....
djpuma_gemini 10:45 PM - 29 June, 2011
how easy was the transition.
DJBIGWIZ 11:53 PM - 29 June, 2011
Quote:
So I assume next step from Apple will be..

Logic X - a prosumer version of Garageband.

hahaha
DJ-Phat-AL 4:36 AM - 30 June, 2011
Quote:
how easy was the transition.

easy for me anyways. I have used Premiere since 2000. I was using Vegas when it was Vegas Audio from Sonic Foundry before Sony bought it. The only reason I was using Vegas mostly the past few years back was how easy it was to work with audio with video.... that's it... but since I have made sure I did all my audio stuff using Ableton, Pro Tools, etc before it goes to video. I have also been using After Effects for a number of years and it is easier to go back and forth between applications via dynamic linking than using trying to use a Vegas/After Effects combo... So... for me it was an easy transition between using Vegas to all the Adobe stuff for video.

For users whom never used Premiere... it is kinda like Final Cut in a lot of ways... so for them... no sweat. Vegas is different... you just have to learn the basic fundamentals on how to navigate the software and how things work together. After that.... it will come to you pretty quick... depends on your work ethics... are you one of those "instant edit-easy button" types who like it super duper easy for editing? then no.... it will be frustrating.... and you should stick to Vegas.
dj lad 6:39 AM - 30 June, 2011
Honestly, if you can use Photoshop at an intermediate level, you should be fine w/ Premiere. The hotkeys are so similar. It's just a matter of "unlearning" the muscle memory stuff from FCP. Then again you can just change the keyboard layout to match FCP if you wanted...
dj lad 6:40 AM - 30 June, 2011
It's literally as simple as choosing "FCP 7 Keyboard Layout" and you've got the SAME exact situation. No need to learn Premiere's keys.
djpuma_gemini 4:07 PM - 30 June, 2011
can't use photoshop either.
jbnyc 10:14 PM - 1 July, 2011
I started with pinnacle back in 02 lol then went to premiere pro 1.5 in like 04 and tried fcp few years back and didnt see any diffdrence between premiere & fcp, exept some lack of functions in fcp like being able to resize images with the mouse (which i do a lot for pgoto montages) instead you had to change the numerical value on the left, so i just stuck with premiere,i hope premiere 6 wont be like fcp X!!
djcsmv 5:25 AM - 2 July, 2011
It looks like adobe it using this a chance to grab customers from final cut with their half off promo.
www.engadget.com
nik39 12:54 PM - 2 July, 2011
Clever
Rebelguy 6:02 PM - 2 July, 2011
Quote:
It looks like adobe it using this a chance to grab customers from final cut with their half off promo.
www.engadget.com

How do they know if you have FCP or not? I didn't see anywhere about what proof they are looking for.
dj lad 12:10 AM - 3 July, 2011
You don't need proof. Just use the coupon code "SWITCH".
Rebelguy 12:44 AM - 3 July, 2011
Quote:
You don't need proof. Just use the coupon code "SWITCH".

Done and done...now i just need my camera and it's a wrap.
djpuma_gemini 12:51 AM - 3 July, 2011
damn.
Dj Nyce 5:32 PM - 6 July, 2011
here's a very informative article on creative cow about a final cut pro user who is jumping ship from apple to adobe since apple's latest bullshit release....

A Final Cutter Tries Out Premiere Pro
library.creativecow.net
vjx 9:00 PM - 6 July, 2011
I am stil a hardcore avid user... but I like the new premiere tho..... and kinda like the fcpX.... but in a different way.... I see myself cutting serius heavy duty 5+ camera projects in Avid, but when I come home and wanna quick edit some video and easily put some effects will def give a FCP a chance....
Premiere will be in my opinion great for someone using a bit more compositing in his work and want to switch between premiere and after effects quick. I work as a cutter, not doing much of compositing in after effects and for that I give Avid 5 stars...
djjeffmetcalf 9:41 PM - 6 July, 2011
If this helps...

teamcoco.com
djjeffmetcalf 9:44 PM - 6 July, 2011
Quote:
If this helps...

teamcoco.com

Never mind should have figured someone already posted it....
ta2423 12:37 AM - 7 July, 2011
ha... another half off for fc users... www.avid.com
Dj Nyce 8:32 PM - 7 July, 2011
here are over 2 hours of free fcp x tutorials by Izzy Video

www.izzyvideo.com

this is just as good as the ripple
DJBIGWIZ 5:40 AM - 9 July, 2011
Quote:
here are over 2 hours of free fcp x tutorials by Izzy Video

www.izzyvideo.com

this is just as good as the ripple

Thanks Nyce
Niro 1:10 AM - 12 July, 2011
This is very interesting, I was waiting for FCPX to utilize the power of my Mac Pro, but it seems null now. With the 50% offer from Adobe, premiere is looking very attractive.

From experienced Premiere users, what are some of your thoughts.

Thanks
DJ-Phat-AL 3:57 AM - 12 July, 2011
Quote:

From experienced Premiere users, what are some of your thoughts.

do it!
Dj Nyce 12:28 PM - 12 July, 2011
premiere pro ftw!!!
gmobley 11:17 PM - 18 July, 2011
I've been doing all my recent edits in Premiere after FCPX dropped one two many frames on me. This tip makes all the difference.

Quote:
tip: premiere pro defaults to frames, timecode or feet + frames. to set in/out, edit or navigate at the audio sample level: In the Source, Program Monitor or Timeline panel menu (at the top left of each panel), right-click & choose Show Audio Time Units.

Thanks Nyce for that one. AE Dynamic Link FTW.
Eloy Garcia 6:24 PM - 21 July, 2011
Quote:
On the 640x360 deal, I think that's a serato users only resolution. It appears as if the effects and transitions are made to work with footage at specific sizes.

Chris, I tried doing the ivtc in compressor but haven't had any luck yet. Compressor's interface is as nasty as it's always been.

Where's Eloy? I'm sure he can shed some light on this.

OK I am here and yes Puma it a "eloy sighting...."

What was it you guys wanted to ask me about about FCPX or as I call it "iMovie Pro X" <---- I hate it just to let all you guys know. But what it the qusetion?
djpuma_gemini 6:37 PM - 21 July, 2011
Can you choose 640x360 out of fcpx or do you have to do that in compressor.
Eloy Garcia 6:39 PM - 21 July, 2011
The only thing I can't get going in premiere CS5 is how to fit to fill. FCP was so easy and FCPX it so hard cause you have to for get everything you know about FCP. It's like starting over and learning how to ride a bike all over again. I am very unhappy with FCPX being "iMovie Pro X" really. Apple gave up on FCP and Pro users read any pro video blog and you will see.
Eloy Garcia 6:41 PM - 21 July, 2011
Puma I am just installed Lion.... I am going to try that for you guys now in FCPX. brb
djpuma_gemini 7:00 PM - 21 July, 2011
I wish vegas had fit to fill.
Dj Nyce 8:04 PM - 21 July, 2011
Quote:
Can you choose 640x360 out of fcpx or do you have to do that in compressor.

you cannot chose 640x360 out of fcp x. you can only choose 640x480 (sd) and standard (hd sizes). in compressor you can crop and resize to whatever you like. the problem is that fcp x doesn't let you choose pixel aspect ratio anymore so when you get to compressor...cancel christmas.
djpuma_gemini 8:08 PM - 21 July, 2011
wow.

deleting that bootleg
Eloy Garcia 8:55 PM - 21 July, 2011
DJ Nyce you are right about FCPX and choosing pixel aspect ratio. FCPX dose pixel aspect ratio automatically now. But just in case, you can do that in compressor if you need to with no problem.

By the way I just learned how to use this "Retiming" option it's "Command+R" if you guys did not know.
djpuma_gemini 9:18 PM - 21 July, 2011
Just talked with Eloy, he got it to work and didn't even have to open compressor.

He had fcp load the compressor settings and it was able to do 640x360 with a PAR of 1 (square)
dj lad 10:46 PM - 21 July, 2011
Quote:
The only thing I can't get going in premiere CS5 is how to fit to fill. FCP was so easy and FCPX it so hard cause you have to for get everything you know about FCP. It's like starting over and learning how to ride a bike all over again. I am very unhappy with FCPX being "iMovie Pro X" really. Apple gave up on FCP and Pro users read any pro video blog and you will see.

It's easy, you're talking about a time-stretch tool, right?
dj lad 10:47 PM - 21 July, 2011
Time-stretch tool: hit X on your keyboard. Then drag the clip ends to where you want them to be.
djpuma_gemini 10:48 PM - 21 July, 2011
more than just time stretch.

set markers on vocal a (first verse) set markers on vocal way at the end of the track (last verse)

hit fit to fill and the video will sync perfectly between those two markers.
Dj Nyce 3:00 AM - 22 July, 2011
fcp x can export to a crop/resized output with or without sending to compressor. the problem is during editing, you are not at the correct par and output resolution. if you introduce mixed media, say an image in to your edit, it will not be the correct aspect ratio in the output no matter how you crop or resize in compressor. my rule of thumb is to edit at the par and res of my final output.

as for fit to fill in premiere...fit to fill in fcp is just a 4 point edit with a clip speed change. the same thing occurs in premiere pro if you make a 4 point edit. when you make a 4 point edit you have the option to insert or overwrite. and when you do, you get to choose change clip speed (which is fit to fill), trim, or ignore (which end up being a 3 point edit).
jbnyc 3:35 AM - 22 July, 2011
i guess i'll stay with premiere CS5..........
Eloy Garcia 9:05 PM - 23 July, 2011
Quote:
as for fit to fill in premiere...fit to fill in fcp is just a 4 point edit with a clip speed change. the same thing occurs in premiere pro if you make a 4 point edit. when you make a 4 point edit you have the option to insert or overwrite. and when you do, you get to choose change clip speed (which is fit to fill), trim, or ignore (which end up being a 3 point edit).

This may might be a dumb question but how do you do a insert or overwrite in Premiere CS5? I am asking cause I am new to Premiere.... thank you for the help Nyce!
Dj Nyce 3:20 AM - 24 July, 2011
you can drag a clip from the Project panel, Source panel, or Media Browser into the Program monitor. when you drag to the program monitor, an overlay pops up letting you know that if you just drop an insert will occur. if you hold ctrl, a overwrite will occur.

the same thing happens if you drag to the timeline.

also you can use [comma] for insert or [period] for overwrite if you are editing a clip in the source panel and want to use key commands.
MAD_COWBOY 5:48 PM - 7 June, 2012
So I read most of the comments on here so please pardon my question... Is this a good software to "start/beginner " doing video edits??? I am new to the VIDEO EDITS game...have been using Ableton live for my music/mp3 edits and now want to get into video edits (adding a INTRO/OUTRO to my video's) Any advice for this NOOB here...lol =)
Rebelguy 5:56 PM - 7 June, 2012
If you are on a PC use Sony Vegas. It started as an audio editing program so it has that feel to it and it is very user friendly.
MAD_COWBOY 6:18 PM - 7 June, 2012
Quote:
If you are on a PC use Sony Vegas. It started as an audio editing program so it has that feel to it and it is very user friendly.

I have a Macbook pro. Ive Seen the Sony Vegas which i believe is MAC compatible. but which one do i get?? they have so many versions. I see they have a FREE trial for both (Vegas & FCPX) I don't have a PC with a great Graphics card like my MAC. So i would definitely get Mac Software =)
djpuma_gemini 6:52 PM - 7 June, 2012
vegas is pc only.
FCP X is meh, but I heard it does the job if simple edits.
MAD_COWBOY 7:20 PM - 7 June, 2012
Quote:
vegas is pc only.
FCP X is meh, but I heard it does the job if simple edits.

What do you use DJ Puma?? You do edits for Smashvison/Vidz Right??
All I want to do is is add a INTRO/OUTRO to my video's
djpuma_gemini 7:21 PM - 7 June, 2012
NO I don't do vids for them.

I use Vegas but I'm learning Final Cut Pro
DJ Unique 7:33 PM - 7 June, 2012
Vegas is super simple but only on PC.
You might be able to run it on Mac with Parallels though.

There is currently a great promo on MacUpdate for $49 that has Parallels and 10 other programs.
skinnyguy 9:13 PM - 7 June, 2012
i wanna try fcp x. hey, it's only like $300, right? i just wanna do intro edits or line things up with remixes.

i miss using vegas.
DJ-Phat-AL 10:53 PM - 7 June, 2012
Avid Media Composer. Kidding...

I user Premiere Pro which works on both Mac & PC. Could be complex but worth learning every aspect of it for editing. AND... Adobe has the Creative Cloud now where you pay a small fee per month to have access to ALL their applications.

jus sayin...
DJ Scorpion 2:55 AM - 8 June, 2012
If you are New to the Game ... U won't Miss a Thing in final Cut pro x ... i started Out using screenflow but Jumped to fcpx when ist came Out ... Been doing some very nice edits with it (so I was told ;-) ... U can check them out @ vimeo.com/channels/luvme) and its pretty easy to use. Give it a try ...

Most of the guys not recommending / bashing fcpx come from the earlier fCp versions or premiere ... For them it's obviously a step back at first sight.
DJMark 3:09 AM - 8 June, 2012
Has the "Fit To Fill" feature from the older FCP versions been included with FCPX yet?

That was one glaring omission I recall hearing about that's pretty relevant for editing "original version" videos to remixed audio...
Dj Nyce 6:10 AM - 8 June, 2012
Quote:
Has the "Fit To Fill" feature from the older FCP versions been included with FCPX yet?

That was one glaring omission I recall hearing about that's pretty relevant for editing "original version" videos to remixed audio...

still can't do fit to fill.

and here is a whole bunch of other things you can't do in fcp x
fcpx.tv

#premiereproftw
DJ DisGrace 11:52 AM - 8 June, 2012
Coming from Vegas, I am not impressed with FCPX... feels kinda like rookie software
djpuma_gemini 2:59 PM - 8 June, 2012
Yeah if you've never edited fcp x will work, but since using vegas I look at fcp x as imovie pro.

Speaking of fit to fill.
how in the hell do you guys sync audio in fcp (not x)
Can't get the 320 wav to match with the stock audio and have no clue how to stretch shit like you can in vegas.
djpuma_gemini 3:04 PM - 8 June, 2012
ughh why do assfucks post shit on ebay with 9 days or 10 day auctions.
I'm not waiting that fucking long you douche bag fuckwad.

Sorry, traffic pissed me off this morning.

If the mother fucking traffic light is not working, hire some fat fuck cop to regulate the flow.
Don't fuck up a major arterial with a god damn little stop sign.
Took me an extra half hour to get to work.
Fuck you WSDOT.
djpuma_gemini 3:42 PM - 8 June, 2012
Whoops wrong place to post it.
DJ-Phat-AL 7:28 PM - 8 June, 2012
wow... where is the right place to post that rant?
djpuma_gemini 8:15 PM - 8 June, 2012
Quote:
wow... where is the right place to post that rant?

lmao on twitter and fb obviously.
haha
MAD_COWBOY 12:14 PM - 14 June, 2012
Quote:
If you are New to the Game ... U won't Miss a Thing in final Cut pro x ... i started Out using screenflow but Jumped to fcpx when ist came Out ... Been doing some very nice edits with it (so I was told ;-) ... U can check them out @ vimeo.com/channels/luvme) and its pretty easy to use. Give it a try ...

Most of the guys not recommending / bashing fcpx come from the earlier fCp versions or premiere ... For them it's obviously a step back at first sight.

Thanks for great tip... I will have to try this.