Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

iNSTEAD oF a sKIP tRACK cv....

cappinkirk 8:11 PM - 9 July, 2007
how about a record with only 1 groove? i never use abs mode and I am always frustrated by how well & frequently serato knows when i absolutely do not want serato to go into int mode but does it anyways.

in my dreams it would actually have 2 grooves, 1 smaller inner skratch groove and a wider outer beat or song groove...unless the groove diameter/frequency compensation thing is obsolete with the range of the CV signal...then just the smaller groove would be great. i don't know if cv's have the same frequency issues as real OG records or not.
AdamJay 8:30 PM - 9 July, 2007
think about it man, that one groove would wear out extremely fast.

also timecode and locked grooves don't mix, its nearly impossible to cut a locked groove without an audible artifact.

search the forum for locked groove, this has been discussed at length.
cappinkirk 8:42 PM - 9 July, 2007
its not a locked groove its one non-skipping groove, isn't there a difference? i know it would wear out but it would be worth it to me. i would buy a lot of them. i guess it may not be for everybody though. i know about the locked groove, it would pop every time it went around. this would be a perfect circle groove, not an ellipse with a cut in it.

anyways just being creative
nik39 9:02 PM - 9 July, 2007
Quote:
anyways just being creative

Quote:
search the forum for locked groove, this has been discussed at length.
cappinkirk 9:04 PM - 9 July, 2007
Quote:
its not a locked groove its one non-skipping groove

a locked groove is not a perfect circle. what i am describing is a perfect circle.
cappinkirk 9:05 PM - 9 July, 2007
and yes the small groove would wear out extra fast...it probably wouldn't be worthwhile unless it was a promo 7" thing or something they gave out (read as people wouldn't buy it)
cappinkirk 9:08 PM - 9 July, 2007
do you guys even know what a locked groove is?
cappinkirk 9:09 PM - 9 July, 2007
its a cut groove so that is skips back to the beginning
cappinkirk 9:09 PM - 9 July, 2007
not trying to sound like the forum a$$hole or anything
nik39 9:26 PM - 9 July, 2007
Quote:
its a cut groove so that is skips back to the beginning

What do you mean?
cappinkirk 9:32 PM - 9 July, 2007
well a locked groove isn't a perfect circle. it is a spiral groove with a skip in it that pops it back to the beginning. This is why the locked groove will not work with CV. every revolution would cause a skip and pop sound which would disturb the cv tone. (there may be a different reason it won't work but that is my logical conclusion)

a perfect circle groove would never skip was my argument but i understand that it isn't the answer to my problem. i need to just learn to go into int anytime i am near the center.
cappinkirk 9:32 PM - 9 July, 2007
and then put the needle back at the beginning in rel asap
AdamJay 9:58 PM - 9 July, 2007
so you are saying you want the normal groove to just end in a circle that continues forever (aka a locked groove)

yea, i know what a locked groove is man, when i used to own 2 record labels we did them every other release. ... there are lots of ways to do it. you can end a normal track in a locked groove, meaning the last 1.8 seconds repeat themselves in a single groove, or you can make the locked groove independent. either way its a locked groove.

you can't make a perfect circle without the click, because the click is the sound of the lathe leaving the lacquer just in time for the other 1.79999999999 seconds of audio that was just cut to not get RE-cut by the lathe.
nik39 10:00 PM - 9 July, 2007
Quote:
well a locked groove isn't a perfect circle. it is a spiral groove with a skip in it that pops it back to the beginning.

I am not sure... so what about the last "groove" on the CV vinyl? Is this a locked groove or a circle groove or something different?
AKIEM 12:33 AM - 10 July, 2007
the last grove on the record is a locked groove

aka it has zero pitch
the amount of pitch determines how fast the groove moves towards the center

Ive talked to a guy who was trying to accurately cut lock grooves who thought he would get it to the point where it would work without too big a glitch. he was designing some control circuits that would more accurately control the cut head.

and I think the SSL software could possibly recognize and deal with the glitches

as far as wear, I only use ABS, the first two min or so, and they wear fine even at the first beat where Im scratching and cueing every single record I play. So a CV full of locked grooves shouldnt wear all that bad, even if you dropped it on the exact same groove all the time.

last, on my CVs I can use the last locked groove with REL mode just fine, there is no glitch that I can detect.

as far as Im concerned a locked groove could work fine, maybe harder to cut right and so on, but I think it would be the preferred side for REL mode and end up being an indispensable feature once people find out how great it is
AdamJay 1:03 AM - 11 July, 2007
i think it would just help in the creation of more microwave DJs.

"you mean the needle is supposed to move towards the center of the record?!?"
AKIEM 8:34 PM - 12 July, 2007
Im all for more microwave DJs, the cream will rise higher

slow roast

try the last lock groove, it works fine
cappinkirk 9:28 PM - 12 July, 2007
you mean the b side? i forgot it doesn't have the scroll function!

good call AKIEM
AKIEM 2:14 AM - 13 July, 2007
word,
if the last groove works, so should locked groove across the plate.

harder to get right? sure.
worth it? I think so.

I wouldnt use it because Im stuck in ABS mode, BUT......
cappinkirk 2:23 PM - 13 July, 2007
no it doesn't work for me. it still goes into scroll mode on the b-side too. I thought b-sides were non-scroll?

what locked groove are you talking about AKIEM?

please spell it out for me, i'm a little slow sometimes.

did you cut your own groove? i know it isn't hard but I couldn't tell if that's what you're talking about or not.

thanks
cappinkirk 2:23 PM - 13 July, 2007
also i don't ever use ABS
AKIEM 8:05 PM - 13 July, 2007
REL mode, works for me
dont let it run to the last groove, place it on the last groove
AKIEM 8:06 PM - 13 July, 2007
its not practical because if it jumps out the groove, all hell

but just to illustrate that it is possible