Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Core audio drivers for mac

gadgetboy 4:38 PM - 8 July, 2007
I must say that I'm really disappointed with the massive delay on providing core audio drivers for the mac

I'm considering going to another solution.

Please could someone give me a reason to stay?

Nigel

UK
Vince 5:40 PM - 9 July, 2007
Quote:
I'm really disappointed with the massive delay on providing core audio drivers for the mac

makes to of us...
cappinkirk 8:25 PM - 9 July, 2007
what are the specific benefits? what is specifically worse without this support? i have mac and it works great
cappinkirk 8:27 PM - 9 July, 2007
a good way to tell if someone is crazy is if they answer their own questions...

Mac OS X Core Audio integrates a range of audio functionality directly into the operating system in ways never before possible, enabling unprecedented performance and ease of use in your virtual studio. Core Audio lays a new foundation for the next generation of world-class audio and music applications from innovative developers.
Breathtaking Performance

Mac OS X delivers the best audio performance in desktop computing. The most fundamental measure of audio performance is throughput latency — the time it takes for audio to enter your Mac, travel through the system to your application and then pass back out to your monitoring system (speakers).
Logic Pro 7

The Core Audio HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) allows multiple applications to share the same device, while maintaining ultra-low latency performance. So you could assign channels one through six of a eight-channel output device to a multi-track program, such as Logic Pro 7, while leaving a virtual studio rack like Reason with channels seven and eight.

And because this performance is built directly into Mac OS X, you experience the same ultra-low latency out of the box on any Apple system. Go from the Power Mac G5 in your studio to your PowerBook on the road — you get consistent performance every time.
Aggregate Devices dialog box
Device Aggregation

Mac OS X Tiger now allows you to use multiple audio devices together to increase the number of input and output channels. You can combine devices of like sampling rate together, whether via FireWire, PCI or built-in, into a single aggregated device. Set up is easy via Audio MIDI Setup and your new “virtual” device will automatically show up in all applications on the system.
Core Audio Format

Core Audio Format is the latest addition to the dozens of audio formats supported natively in Mac OS X. Developed by Apple, Core Audio Format (CAF) combines virtually infinite capacity with rich support for metadata in an optimized-for-audio package. As a 64-bit file format, you can record a thousand channels of audio for a thousand years in a single file. And it can store any audio data, whether uncompressed PCM or compressed such as AAC. Application support for these files is available today in QuickTime 7.
Plugged In

Working digitally lets you easily manipulate audio and add special effects. It’s trivial to reverse a sample or add simple reverb to make your music sound as if it were recorded in a huge concert hall or the in the bathroom at CBGB’s. Mac OS X Core Audio provides a system-level plug-in architecture called Audio Units. This allows developers to deploy their plug-ins in a single format that any Mac OS X application can use.
Components

Apple includes several Audio Units in Mac OS X, including one that adjusts timing without affecting pitch, a Velocity Engine-optimized reverb and a matched pair to stream audio over a network. Apple also provides a software instrument that supports both the industry-standard DownLoadable Sounds (DLS) as well as SoundFont formats; giving you high-quality, low-latency sample playback.
MIDI Thru and Thru

Mac OS X integrates MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) Services directly into the operating system for increased stability and performance. Audio MIDI Setup allows you to easily manage your MIDI needs and define a system-wide MIDI configuration that is available to all of your applications. Mac OS X also includes a MIDI Network driver, allowing you to send and receive MIDI over a network connection.
Optimized for G5

The Power Mac G5 is the ultimate machine for audio professionals, with capabilities that are not usually found on personal computers. The state-of-the-art optical digital audio in and out ports use the S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface) protocol over Toslink cables for connecting to devices such as decks, receivers, digital instruments and even 5.1 surround-sound speaker systems. And Mac OS X is specially tuned for the G5 processor, providing a seamless transition to 64-bit power with optimized math libraries that let today’s applications take advantage of tomorrow’s power.
AdamJay 8:34 PM - 9 July, 2007
Quote:
what are the specific benefits? what is specifically worse without this support? i have mac and it works great

core audio support allows users to use the SL1 box in applications outside of Scratch Live.

i.e. to record with it directly to mp3, or use it to play back songs in itunes.
Vince 8:54 PM - 9 July, 2007
with the 57 u don't need an external Soundcard to record directly into Logic for example...
AdamJay 9:59 PM - 9 July, 2007
yea, its quite nice having core audio drivers on the 57.

it allows me to encode 2 records at once by launching two independent instances of the AudioRecorder.app program , this greatly reduces recording time, plus i can encode direct to 320kbps mp3, instead of to .aiff (in SSL) and have to spend time converting the uncompressed .aiff to .mp3
Vince 10:04 PM - 9 July, 2007
another + yeah!!
Loop 3:03 PM - 18 July, 2007
me too! this would be a logical (and maybe simple?!) addition to an already superb product.
If it can be done for the 57......
Evil_banana 1:50 PM - 19 July, 2007
Quote:
yea, its quite nice having core audio drivers on the 57.

it allows me to encode 2 records at once by launching two independent instances of the AudioRecorder.app program , this greatly reduces recording time, plus i can encode direct to 320kbps mp3, instead of to .aiff (in SSL) and have to spend time converting the uncompressed .aiff to .mp3

Exactly the same reason why I want it. I bought the 57 partially because of this capability, but now it seems that this is not implemented for Mac. Only windows has ASIO drivers which allow routing choice. If I record on my mac, input 1 is the left channel and input 2 is the main out. That's not exactly what I expected from "recording 2 inputs at once".

Core audio drivers and routing capability please!
gadgetboy 12:46 PM - 23 August, 2007
So here we are... nearly a couple of month down the line and still no date from the Serato Team...

Wag1??????
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 12:17 AM - 24 August, 2007
Unfortunately we hit some serious obstacles with the CoreAudio driver. Apologies for the delay.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 1:29 AM - 24 August, 2007
Quote:
Exactly the same reason why I want it. I bought the 57 partially because of this capability, but now it seems that this is not implemented for Mac. Only windows has ASIO drivers which allow routing choice. If I record on my mac, input 1 is the left channel and input 2 is the main out. That's not exactly what I expected from "recording 2 inputs at once".

Hi Evil_banana.
You *can* record from two separate inputs at the same time with CoreAudio, using "aggregate devices". We'll get back with a more detailed description of how to set this up.
nik39 7:30 AM - 24 August, 2007
Quote:
You *can* record from two separate inputs at the same time with CoreAudio, using "aggregate devices". We'll get back with a more detailed description of how to set this up.

You can not choose a routing on a Mac yet.
Evil_banana 9:51 AM - 10 September, 2007
Frankly I don't really care if it's core-audio or ASIO (but of course Coreaudio is the better practice on Mac). I just want to be able to record both inputs simultaneously without any interference of the mixer. If "input 2" would be the right channel I could record both channels simultaneously and use the mixer as "monitoring device".

But of course I understand that these kind of things take time. Any news yet on he "aggregating devices"-thingy?
JLOPIC 12:10 AM - 30 September, 2007
Quote:
Unfortunately we hit some serious obstacles with the CoreAudio driver. Apologies for the delay.

So, do we have a new date or estimation on when the relese date for the Core Audio driver will be?
Evil_banana 6:55 PM - 15 October, 2007
Any progress on this one yet guys? Lately I've been messing around with producing music again, and it's really a drag that I can't use the TTM57 as an outputsoundcard for use in Reason.

Everytime I want to do something I have to rewire the whole damn thing to connect an external soundcard or I have to start linking one to another.

Drivers would be nice...

Any news on the "aggregating devices" by the way?
DJ Cykophuk 2:34 PM - 24 October, 2007
I'm new to mac, so this has been a good education. Is it possible to set up my 57 to record with cubase prefader...or do I need the Core drivers for this to work?

Thanks
JLOPIC 10:15 PM - 19 December, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
I'm really disappointed with the massive delay on providing core audio drivers for the mac

makes to of us...

makes three, plus alot of others...
diego vega 5:44 PM - 21 December, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

makes to of us...

makes three, plus alot of others...

+1
hornbizzle 7:31 AM - 22 December, 2007
+1
hornbizzle 7:32 AM - 22 December, 2007
... +1
hornbizzle 7:32 AM - 22 December, 2007
woops, my bad. apparently i count as two people.
Dizz 1:24 PM - 23 December, 2007
ACME 2:33 AM - 25 December, 2007
is it just a delay... or development has been canceled ?
DJ Cykophuk 11:50 PM - 25 December, 2007
*tap *tap *tap...this thing on?
diego vega 6:03 PM - 7 January, 2008
+1

any news?
dj_soo 9:25 PM - 7 January, 2008
as someone potentially wanting to get a 57, are you guys saying that the 57 doesn't have core-audio support? That I wouldn't be able to use it as a sound card for say... ableton?
DJ Boulevard 9:41 PM - 7 January, 2008
+ 1...

Recently switched from Torq (no clubs would hire me because I was not using Serato) and CoreAudio drivers were a very important tool for me when I was using the Conectiv interface.

I love the ScratchLive GUI. I love the large browser. I love AutoGain. CoreAudio drivers would absolutely make the SL-1 interface a great recording tool.
Dizz 1:45 AM - 8 January, 2008
Bump!!
DjThis 5:24 AM - 14 January, 2008
Any luck ???
yuri 6:45 AM - 4 February, 2008
bump.. gettin a mac this week and will need a simple interface.. sll would be nice!
deepdjdanny 8:22 AM - 11 February, 2008
bum
DjThis 1:31 AM - 23 February, 2008
bump
Dizz 6:27 AM - 24 February, 2008
Biggaty!
smutek 1:51 AM - 25 February, 2008
No response since August 2007.....

come on serato, how about an update on this?

Anyone else know of any other official responses about this?

Here's the time line of official responses as far as I can tell:

August 2006, by Sam:

Quote:
I do!

No news yet sorry, but progress has been made.

www.scratchlive.net

And August of 2007, again by Sam:

Quote:

So I imagine we'll hear something new come this August. Any takers on what we'll hear, my guess is "Sorry for the short delay, we are working on it!" or something equally vague.

Nothing personal against you Sam, but If Serato has given up on the project due to insurmountable technical obstacles, or if it simply is no longer a priority and has been put on pause to develop a new "limited edition" colored control vinyl for all the posers to drool over and argue about then just tell us as well. At least then we know where we stand for chirst's sake because frankly not getting any kind of information at all over such a long period of time is just unacceptable bullshit one would expect from the likes of Native Instruments.

I hate to act that way but nothing is more frustrating than being left completely in the dark.

**** edit ****

Core audio is not going to happen for the SL-1.

Quote:

Will there ever be core audio drivers for the SL 1?
Core audio support for the SL 1 was initially planned for development. Unfortunately due to a hardware limitation in the SL 1 it is not possible to provide core audio drivers for the unit.

Piss off. Buried in the FAQ, I wonder when they dropped that in there? And who the fuck checks the FAQ 2 years after buying the product? Oh... lemme mosey on over to the FAQ, maybe they've made an announcement there!

scratchlive.net

Well, it's good to finally know something for sure, still sucks that another user had to point me to it.

How many people posting in this thread already knew this? A sticky at least would be nice.
diego vega 3:11 PM - 25 February, 2008
I just found out also that was hidden in the FAQ... and i'm also pissed, I mean couldn't the moderators tell us in the many threads we've been bumping, or at least give a notice or something... that fucking sucks, we have been ignored.
nik39 3:19 PM - 25 February, 2008
Quote:
mean couldn't the moderators tell us in the many threads we've been bumping, or at least give a notice or something... that fucking sucks, we have been ignored.

That sucks indeed. An official word in some of those threads where they said it is on the works... thats the least we could expect :-(
DjThis 8:09 PM - 25 February, 2008
This totally sucks. There is a ASIO for windows, why can't the Core Audio be released? Wouldn't they have the same principles?

Why don't you just release a Core audio so we all shut up.... Simple as that...
DJ Cykophuk 8:54 PM - 25 February, 2008
quote from August 23, 2007
Quote:

I'm guessing this isn't going to happen.
drakey 10:30 PM - 25 February, 2008
I prob wouldn't of opted for serato had i know this.
powercut 11:20 PM - 25 February, 2008
this would be a decided factor in my getting a 57
nik39 11:32 PM - 25 February, 2008
Quote:

The TTM57 comes with CoreAudio and erhm let's say very "basic" ASIO drivers.
DJ Cykophuk 1:45 AM - 26 February, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

The TTM57 comes with CoreAudio and erhm let's say very "basic" ASIO drivers.

I've had spotty functionality with the ASIO drivers (perhaps due to my shitty PC) but have not been able to record with Cubase via Core Audio in my Mac. How are the Core Audio drivers functional in the 57?
nik39 1:53 AM - 26 February, 2008
CA drivers seem to work very fine for me.
DJ Cykophuk 1:55 AM - 26 February, 2008
curious...are you able to record both programs prefader with cubase at the same time?
nik39 12:09 PM - 29 October, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

Hi Evil_banana.

Since no docs were released yet I hope it is okay to quote a description.

Quote:
On the Mac, 10.4.x
In the Utilities folder there is a utility called "Audio Midi Setup"

Run it with the 57 plugged in and ScratchLive not running.

Select "Open Aggregate Device Editor" from the Audio Menu

Select the '+' sign to add an aggregate device.

Check the 'use' check boxes for the following:
TTM57SL Line 1
TTM57SL Line 1
TTM57SL Line 2
TTM57SL Line 2

One of these will default as the clock for the aggregate device.
It does not matter which one, since there is only one clock in the Mixer.

Select Done.

Now in your DAW you can use the aggregate device to record Line 1 and Line 2 streams at the same time.
Evil_banana 10:01 AM - 11 July, 2009
Sorry for bringing this up after so much time, but I gave up on recording my vinyl. And now almost 1 year later I want to get it going again and appareantly the 'solution' has become "sorry guys, we promised and advertised from the box we were going to do this, but we were just messing with you, we decided to not gonna do it, we need to implement some video crap".

Thanks Nik for that nice description but it's not addressing the problem I need fixed. I use AudioHijack which can open multiple instances, I don't need all audio at once on 1 input.On the contrary, getting all audio on 1 input is actually the issue. TTM57 Line 1 is Line 1 Prefader, while TTM57 Line 2 is ... "everything that comes out of your mixer". I want TTM57 Line 2 to be able to be Line 2 Prefader as well.

The Mixtape-functionality as originally advertised when I shelled out 1450Euro was intended to provide you with the possibility to record Line1 and Line2 separately so you could add effects, replace audio, mess around with the mix however you liked in your DAW and then finalize it.

Yes, I know it works on windows, but I'm running Mac, not gonna buy a second computer just to record. Besides, the recording tools I purchased are Mac as well. Instead of having this functionality we're listening to "it's technically too difficult to do this..." (while Serato is implementing Video, yeah, I guess that's an easy one).
And also... if it's too difficult, why is the recording feature in SSL-software itself capable of selecting the appropriate input (prefader, postfader, main, aux,...). Seems like if the software can handle it, it should be perfectly possible to create a tool to select input-source-routing as well.
Evil_banana 10:11 AM - 11 July, 2009
Quote:
Sorry for bringing this up after so much time, but I gave up on recording my vinyl. And now almost 1 year later I want to get it going again and appareantly the 'solution' has become "sorry guys, we promised and advertised from the box we were going to do this, but we were just messing with you, we decided to not gonna do it, we need to implement some video crap".

Thanks Nik for that nice description but it's not addressing the problem I need fixed. I use AudioHijack which can open multiple instances, I don't need all audio at once on 1 input.On the contrary, getting all audio on 1 input is actually the issue. TTM57 Line 1 is Line 1 Prefader, while TTM57 Line 2 is ... "everything that comes out of your mixer". I want TTM57 Line 2 to be able to be Line 2 Prefader as well.

The Mixtape-functionality as originally advertised when I shelled out 1450Euro was intended to provide you with the possibility to record Line1 and Line2 separately so you could add effects, replace audio, mess around with the mix however you liked in your DAW and then finalize it.

Yes, I know it works on windows, but I'm running Mac, not gonna buy a second computer just to record. Besides, the recording tools I purchased are Mac as well. Instead of having this functionality we're listening to "it's technically too difficult to do this..." (while Serato is implementing Video, yeah, I guess that's an easy one).
And also... if it's too difficult, why is the recording feature in SSL-software itself capable of selecting the appropriate input (prefader, postfader, main, aux,...). Seems like if the software can handle it, it should be perfectly possible to create a tool to select input-source-routing as well.

Ah... embarrassing. Obviously right after posting this frustration post, I stumble upon the TM57 recording utility... Perhaps it's not a bad idea to actually post this in the download/support-section of the website guys!!!

My apologies and thanks for the utility!
nik39 7:14 PM - 13 July, 2009
Just to be clear... did you understand that it works fine on Mac as well?
Evil_banana 9:25 PM - 26 July, 2009
yes, I understood, I just oversaw the utility. It used to work before, but the routing was all wrong. this works nice and easy altough I'm messing around with the gains for the utility, got some overdrive.

anyway, again, my apologies and thanks!
Mr.Nice 7:36 AM - 9 August, 2009
[Quote]On the Mac, 10.4.x

TTM57SL Line 1
TTM57SL Line 1
TTM57SL Line 2
TTM57SL Line 2

Select Done.

Now in your DAW you can use the aggregate device to record Line 1 and Line 2 streams at the same time.

I followed these instructions, however the aggregate device only gives me a check box for TTM57SL Line 2 and not the others.

Running OSX 10.5.7..

Is there another way to get it working?
Mr.Nice 7:45 AM - 9 August, 2009
Sorry... this might make more sense.

Quote:
On the Mac, 10.4.x

TTM57SL Line 1
TTM57SL Line 1
TTM57SL Line 2
TTM57SL Line 2

Select Done.

I followed these instructions, however the aggregate device only gives me a check box for TTM57SL Line 2 and not the others.

Running OSX 10.5.7..

Is there another way to get it working?

p.s
What is DAW?
nik39 2:34 PM - 9 August, 2009
There seems to be an issue with 10.5.7:

www.serato.com < check here.
Evil_banana 3:10 PM - 10 August, 2009
and DAW = Digital Audio Worstation, which is basically digital software that allows to create instruments and to records things. e.g. ableton, Logic Studio, Cubase, Garageband, Reason,...