DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

How do you keep up with electronic dance music?

a DJ 8:58 AM - 5 April, 2011
I know absolutely nothing about it. Where do people go to hear the new songs? All I know is the most popular songs from Benny Benassi, Tiesto, David Guetta. I'm already behind the times because of this but I survive just cuz I know the most popular songs. I'm just a follower with the shit. I didn't even really appreciate the music much until I tried to make a house beat for my friend.

Aint no money in playing only rap/R&B music, that shit only flies with hood crowds. Even people in the hood wanna hear some electronic music now! wtf! I'm just scared of being irrelevant just cuz I haven't been able to get into this new music and culture of my fellow young people. Still haven't even been to a rave, I just get bored whenever I hear electronic music at parties. It's cool, but I need to hear some rap. Maybe I need to pop some pills!! lol
DJ_Gadabout 9:06 AM - 5 April, 2011
BattleFunk 9:28 AM - 5 April, 2011
you need to get your ass to some raves! (not just a club night)

then you'll have an idea what people react to from their point of view, not just play music you THINK they might want to hear

music is all about connecting with the audience, if you don't know what your audience wants, how you gonna play the right music?

if you don't like the music or cant get in to it, let someone else take those bookings! don't be a fake just to make some bread
djbanno 11:21 AM - 5 April, 2011
Laz219 1:10 PM - 5 April, 2011
Beatport charts are a good place to start, I'm the same actually. You'll never really catch me listening to any house/electro stuff besides when I'm digging for new tracks.

Listen to other DJs mixes, and keep an eye on the charts and you should get a good idea of what's hot.
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:22 PM - 5 April, 2011
acutually liking the genre is the best place to start, EDM isnt like rap where the radio says "this is whats hot not like it" and all the sheep clap in agreeance and declare it the best song ever without acutually listening to it. EDM fans have brains and make their own decessions on music, typically finding "whats new and hot" wont fly because EDM fans are fans of more obscure tracks, having tracks and remixs that noone esle has is what puts you on top so be prepared to spent ALOT of time listening to the genre and shifting through the 89% garbage to find some gems.....welcome to djing lol good luck
DJ Wade-West 1:44 PM - 5 April, 2011
Quote:
acutually liking the genre is the best place to start, EDM isnt like rap where the radio says "this is whats hot not like it" and all the sheep clap in agreeance and declare it the best song ever without acutually listening to it. EDM fans have brains and make their own decessions on music, typically finding "whats new and hot" wont fly because EDM fans are fans of more obscure tracks, having tracks and remixs that noone esle has is what puts you on top so be prepared to spent ALOT of time listening to the genre and shifting through the 89% garbage to find some gems.....welcome to djing lol good luck

ignorant
Jams 2:31 PM - 5 April, 2011
bbc.co.uk/radio1
DJ_Gadabout 2:36 PM - 5 April, 2011
Quote:

+1
DJ Frank Labate 2:47 PM - 5 April, 2011
I have to agree. If you haven't noticed the whole industry is shifting towards electric dance and house music. It would be wise for any dj to start getting into it.
dj_craigmac 2:58 PM - 5 April, 2011
I hate the "term" EDM.
DjWoody 3:05 PM - 5 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

ignorant

Actually, he's not being ignorant. He's on point. The real EDM crowd is tough. Unlike your top 40/mashup crowds, they go to the club/rave to see the DJ. That's why most of the time they're dancing facing the dj. That crowd doesn't like the DJ's to play what everyone else is playing, they actually like their DJ's to create their own sound. If you don't like EDM, don't even bother. There's a whole lot more to it than just mixing two records. It's a whole different language. You have to feel the music to be able to get it right plus there's tons of genre's too. For instance, you can't play trance at a deep house gig, you'll loose the crowd quick!

Here's 3 recent sets of mine. They're all different because they're meant for different EDM crowds.

Live at Avalon in Hollywood NYE 2011 (VERY Underground) (I played from 3am - 4:30am in the side room while John Digweed played in the main room)
soundcloud.com

Sacramento Promo - March 2011 (Very housy, a little bit more on the commercial side, yet not commercial)
soundcloud.com

Live on 107.1 FM in Los Angeles (This is a radio set, more on the underground house tip)
soundcloud.com
philldafunk 3:16 PM - 5 April, 2011
I have a tremendous amount of respect for those who spin electronica. They actually build stories out of their sets.... The good djs do at least
blackavenger 4:22 PM - 5 April, 2011
Quote:
actually liking the genre is the best place to start, EDM isn't like rap where the radio says "this is whats hot so like it" and all the sheep clap in agreement and declare it the best song ever without actually listening to it. EDM fans have brains and make their own decisions on music, typically finding "whats new and hot" wont fly because EDM fans are fans of more obscure tracks, having tracks and remixes that no one else has is what puts you on top so be prepared to spent ALOT of time listening to the genre and shifting through the 89% garbage to find some gems.....welcome to djing lol good luck

Well said, Bezzle!!!!
blackavenger 4:27 PM - 5 April, 2011
Quote:
There's a whole lot more to it than just mixing two records. It's a whole different language. You have to feel the music to be able to get it right plus there's tons of genre's too. For instance, you can't play trance at a deep house gig, you'll loose the crowd quick!

Indeed....haha!
Kepik 4:37 PM - 5 April, 2011
Quote:
For instance, you can't play trance at a deep house gig, you'll loose the crowd quick!

+1

I know house-head purists/dancers who only will listen to what they call "true" house. Deep/soulful/afro/tribal from the likes of Black Coffee, Karizma, DJ Spen, Louie Vega, 3 Amigos etc. Anything else like Funky/Jackin'/Electro/Dutch/Progressive they will regard it as garbage!

That's why it seems that more electronic DJs tend to prepare a set more than just winging it and monitor crowd reaction. The crowd already expects to hear a certain kind of EDM.
blackavenger 4:59 PM - 5 April, 2011
Quote:
That's why it seems that more electronic DJs tend to prepare a set more than just winging it and monitor crowd reaction. The crowd already expects to hear a certain kind of EDM.

I don't necessarily agree with that. What I will say is that organization of your tracks (Genre/Sub-Genre/Tempo/BPM/Key) is paramount though. I've been playing just about all genres of Electronic Music since I began DJing over 15 years ago, and have RARELY prepared a set for a gig. I prefer to wing it.....it gives you more freedom to read your crowd/vibe of the room. I may have clusters of tracks I know work well together, but I haven't made a "set" for a gig in over 6 years.
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:00 PM - 5 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

I don't necessarily agree with that. What I will say is that organization of your tracks (Genre/Sub-Genre/Tempo/BPM/Key) is paramount though. I've been playing just about all genres of Electronic Music since I began DJing over 15 years ago, and have RARELY prepared a set for a gig. I prefer to wing it.....it gives you more freedom to read your crowd/vibe of the room. I may have clusters of tracks I know work well together, but I haven't made a "set" for a gig in over 6 years.

+1
dj_craigmac 5:26 PM - 5 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

For instance, you can't play trance at a deep house gig, you'll loose the crowd quick!

+1

I know house-head purists/dancers who only will listen to what they call "true" house. Deep/soulful/afro/tribal from the likes of Black Coffee, Karizma, DJ Spen, Louie Vega, 3 Amigos etc. Anything else like Funky/Jackin'/Electro/Dutch/Progressive they will regard it as garbage!

That would be me... Its kinda what i was getting at by the term EDM without offending others. Jackin and Funky are acceptable to most PURIST.
Kepik 5:32 PM - 5 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

I guess my statement was loosely based on my experience listening to those top-tier Trance DJ/producers during their tour gigs.

I hereby retract my statement :)
dj_craigmac 5:39 PM - 5 April, 2011
I never have a pre pared set when spinnin HOUSEMUSIC cause house is truly about a feeling and having the freedom to go where the vibe/room/music takes you.
Daktyl 6:11 PM - 5 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

that's my main problem right there.... there are so many genres and sub-genres with edm, that classification and what defines each of them is rough for me sometimes. I've always listened to and enjoyed a huge variety of music. rock, hip hop and rnb, edm, classical, even celtic folk music and some of the more melodic death metal.... my ipod on shuffle sounds like musical schizophrenia lol. My point is that as a listener, I use 2 categories: songs I like and songs I don't like. I never really pay too much mind to genre... As a dj, you kind of have to. With mainstream stuff it's easy to classify by genre and sub-genre, and knowing what will go over well with that kind of crowd is a lot less subtle than with an edm crowd...
The difference between dutch and progressive house is easy to hear. Trance and dubstep are easy to tell apart.... some stuff I have a hard time organizing though. All the time I'll come across a track I really like and wanna play, but have no idea what genre it is, so it just goes in my generic "house" crate.... I'll play songs that I think go really well together sonically, and have no idea I'm jumping across sub genres that I've never even heard of and that nobody can define for me when asked. Like "oh, I never would have thought to put a 'deep progtech trip-glitch-hop' song together with a 'minimal fidgetrance retro-electro' song" Oh, what's the difference between the two? "I don't know, it's hard to explain..."
DJ Tecniq 6:22 PM - 5 April, 2011
For the record the best underground EDM is Breaks cause it's not so commercial like House, Trance. You will forget House even existed..hahaha..

www.beatport.com
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:54 PM - 5 April, 2011
Quote:
For the record the best underground EDM is Breaks cause it's not so commercial like House, Trance. You will forget House even existed..hahaha..

www.beatport.com

GHB!!!!!!!!!
blackavenger 6:56 PM - 5 April, 2011
Sorry, Daktyl, but it's going to take you YEARS to discern the nuances between the dozens of Genres/Sub-Genres within Electronic Dance Music.
dj_soo 7:25 PM - 5 April, 2011
Research. Listen. Form your own tastes.

Beatport top 10 Djs are some of the worst Djs out there. This isn't top 40 - create your own sound and play what you like. You still have to read the crowd but the crowd also expects to hear stuff they've never heard before.

This is why exclusive tracks and dubs are such a huge part of electronic Dj culture - Djs distinguish themselves more by their track selection being unique...
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:28 PM - 5 April, 2011
Quote:
Beatport top 10 Djs are some of the worst Djs out there....

+1
Mr. Goodkat 8:29 PM - 5 April, 2011
beatport top 10 djs are just like the people that play the top 40 hits of hip hop and pop. and there are a lot of crowds that like that.

it sounds more like what he's talkin about is more that style actually.

my advice, not what i do, but what i see yung djs and non listeners do, basically find a big name dj, and copy their sets. sad but true.
dj_soo 8:38 PM - 5 April, 2011
yea, just play a bunch of skrillex and deadmau5 and you'll be just like every other wanna-be jersey-shore, fist-pump, "electronic" dj out there.
howcome 9:05 PM - 5 April, 2011
Imagine playing sets of what you like. If you don't like or appreciate EDM it's going to be a lot harder to connect with the crowd. Whereas with the top 40 stuff, just listen to whats on the local radio, play that and you are the best dj that brainless 21 year old has ever heard. I have been to raves where the dj's play songs no one has ever heard and the people don't care they love every minute of it. Same with clubs that play only EDM. If you get the vibe right and build sets that keep moving, the crowd loves it.
Daktyl 9:14 PM - 5 April, 2011
Quote:
Research. Listen. Form your own tastes.

I wholeheartedly agree. I dig to find music that I enjoy listening to, I check out the charts, and a lot of it I like and play, but some of the stuff that's "hot" I'm like, really??? that sucks, I'll pass. I know what I like, I just don't necessarily know how to classify it by genre/sub-genre....

Quote:
Sorry, Daktyl, but it's going to take you YEARS to discern the nuances between the dozens of Genres/Sub-Genres within Electronic Dance Music.

exactly... in the meantime I just mix songs with a similar beat, feel, and emotional context together.

Quote:
...This isn't top 40 - create your own sound and play what you like. You still have to read the crowd but the crowd also expects to hear stuff they've never heard before.

This is why exclusive tracks and dubs are such a huge part of electronic Dj culture - Djs distinguish themselves more by their track selection being unique...

this is why I like playing at a dance club vs to a top 40 crowd. they can be a lot more open and receptive to unknown music. you can take more risks with track selection and creative mixing...

As far as the OP is concerned though, I don't think he's talking about playing to a strictly edm crowd. like it was mentioned before, it seems like he's talking about more mainstream electronic music in a typical open format or top 40 kind of setting....
if you don't even like the music but feel you need to play it to stay competitive, just keep doing what you've been doing and play the well known producers and stick with the beatport charts.
...or you can dig deeper and find songs that you do like. Like I said before, I'm no expert on all the different genres of edm out there and there are many people more qualified than me on this forum as far as that's concerned, but... you said you like hip hop and rnb. there's a lot of electronic music that's influenced by those genres and vice versa. That's a good place to start
dj_soo 9:38 PM - 5 April, 2011
Quote:

exactly... in the meantime I just mix songs with a similar beat, feel, and emotional context together.

You know what? This is probably the best approach anyway - the days of the close-minded sub-genre only EDM nights are dying out - you may still have to adhere to an over-arching genre for some crowds (for instance a drum n bass crowd isn't going to want to hear house) and you have to know what genre's work with each other (for instance you can get away with dropping some drum n bass at a dubstep night), but don't stress too much on sub-genres. Use your ears and work out what sounds good ultimately and develop your own style...
ninos 9:56 PM - 5 April, 2011
you gotta know what type of edm you like and want to play. as for me. i play :

electro house/techhouse

i sit my ass on the computer on beatport digging and digging. i watch tons of videos on youtube and id the songs if i like em. you just gotta sit down. breathe and dig.

you cant go into a electro club and start playing trance. it wont happen. you have know what the crowd likes. i always go threw ultra's lable and toolroom. some of my favourtie tunes come from those labels!
Mr. Goodkat 10:03 PM - 5 April, 2011
Quote:
yea, just play a bunch of skrillex and deadmau5 and you'll be just like every other wanna-be jersey-shore, fist-pump, "electronic" dj out there.

its really that bad, but dump in a splash of afrojack and lmfao, plus some bad crooklyn clan electro mashups. sounds about what hes talking about
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:07 PM - 5 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

its really that bad, but dump in a splash of afrojack and lmfao, plus some bad crooklyn clan electro mashups. sounds about what hes talking about

dont forget diplo
DJ Ness Nice 10:09 PM - 5 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

dont forget diplo

and some dj chuckie
Mr. Goodkat 10:09 PM - 5 April, 2011
cant think of a ton of diplo tracks other than the pon di floor and c'mon that fill that niche. both of those arent all diplo either. but i get your point.
Mr. Goodkat 10:10 PM - 5 April, 2011
chuckie, now i can see that.
Mr. Goodkat 10:10 PM - 5 April, 2011
shm too
dj_soo 10:14 PM - 5 April, 2011
I kind of like some of diplo's stuff.

Some of it is terrible tho - like that abortion of a collab with tiesto...
Daktyl 12:27 AM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

You know what? This is probably the best approach anyway - the days of the close-minded sub-genre only EDM nights are dying out - you may still have to adhere to an over-arching genre for some crowds (for instance a drum n bass crowd isn't going to want to hear house) and you have to know what genre's work with each other (for instance you can get away with dropping some drum n bass at a dubstep night), but don't stress too much on sub-genres. Use your ears and work out what sounds good ultimately and develop your own style...

Going by feel without knowing sub-genres has worked pretty well for me so far. The over-arching genres are pretty easy to grasp...it's all the branching off that is kind of rough. all the sub dividing seems like elitist snobbery to me sometimes though. It's like with rock music. I remember a time back in the 90's I was talking about music with this guy and he asked me if I wanted to hear some "post modern progressive college acid rock" (his exact words). I had no idea wtf he was talking about but said yeah sure. He handed me a Faith No More cd out of his bag..... I was like really dude? was all that really necessary lol

As far as resources go, soundcloud and sites like it are good for finding obscure gems. Everyone posts there own stuff to promote, but I don't think a lot of people take advantage of the fact that there's a lot of great unknown djs/producers making original tracks out there and sharing them. It's a pretty safe bet that the dj b4 you or after you won't have that track.... With that you have to be really careful about fraud (people claiming work that is someone else's) and you also have to be prepared to sift through a lot more HORRIBLE CRAP than you would in say a record pool or on beatport...
thebuttonfreak 1:47 AM - 6 April, 2011
I listen to hours upon hours of crap to find a handful of jems.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:21 AM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
typically finding "whats new and hot" wont fly because EDM fans are fans of more obscure tracks, having tracks and remixs that noone esle has is what puts you on top so be prepared to spent ALOT of time listening to the genre and shifting through the 89% garbage to find some gems.....welcome to djing lol good luck

Damn - Bezzle actually made some sense???? WHOA!!!

Quote:
I hate the "term" EDM.

They talkin Electro House craigmac - not the good sh!t...
StreetFighta 4:09 AM - 6 April, 2011
I take songs I like, put them into hype machine, then check out the blogs that have that song hosted. See what other tracks they have (usually of a similar style) and then check the blogs that they link to and repeat the process
brkdncr 4:47 AM - 6 April, 2011
Here's how my typical shopping experience goes.

Find a song i like. Look up who made it. Listen to their other music. See if they made any remixes. Who did they remix? Look up there stuff. Rinse and repeat a few times until you've skipped two meals for the day. Trim the shopping cart to under $100.
blackavenger 5:09 AM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
I hate the "term" EDM.

As do I, though it's better than kats calling it "techno".......that really drives me crazy! Since the beginning, I've just called it "dance music"....to tell you the truth, I've only EVER used that term (EDM) on this forum....haha!
Laz219 8:50 AM - 6 April, 2011
I usually only say EDM because it's what it seems to go as around here.

People call it techno drives me crazy, as does "doof doof"
dj_soo 9:01 AM - 6 April, 2011
How about "untz untz?"
Evon 10:44 AM - 6 April, 2011
If you playing a mainstream topp 40 club EDM is easy. Just throw in som David Gueatta, Deadmau5 or some bigroom progressive house anthems and people will dance.
For the more underground is a totally different. Punters come to these parties to listen to the music and the djs and expect to be blown away by tracks they haven't heard before.
In order to do that you need to dig deep and have love for the music.
DJWALDO 10:50 AM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
If you playing a mainstream topp 40 club EDM is easy. Just throw in som David Gueatta, Deadmau5 or some bigroom progressive house anthems and people will dance.
For the more underground is a totally different. Punters come to these parties to listen to the music and the djs and expect to be blown away by tracks they haven't heard before.
In order to do that you need to dig deep and have love for the music.

precisely
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:01 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:

Find a song i like. Look up who made it. Listen to their other music. See if they made any remixes. Who did they remix? Look up there stuff. Rinse and repeat a few times until you've skipped two meals for the day. Trim the shopping cart to under $100.

The hardest part to me is when im shoppin for new tunes and get on a role and i start lowering the bar. Like ill be listening and thin"gargbage, gargabe, gargabge, oh THERE WE GO, OH AND THIS TO"...but after a hot streaks of lets say 4 hot tracks it turns into "Oh and this track it ok the bass lines hot ..BUY... oh this one says dance i can work this in ...BUY...oh that kinda sounds like a shitty version of the 1st hot track i found it would be a good transition ...BUY "

Then i have a cart of $300 and i start trimming then say fuck it i dont need ANY of this. NO SALE
blackavenger 4:28 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
Then i have a cart of $300 and i start trimming then say fuck it i dont need ANY of this. NO SALE

Really? I can go to Beatport/Juno/TrackItDown/Stompy/Digital-Tunes with a $100 dollar budget and end up with a shitload of workable tracks to last at least a month or two. I primarily stick w' the US based stores (Beatport/Stompy) for the bulk, then get the real gems from the stores abroad. Though, with those, I am REALLY SELECTIVE of what I buy.
Daktyl 9:22 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:

that sounds about right... I also go on what I call "youtube tangents" Find a song that I like and search it in youtube. find other songs and artists that it's linked to. write it all down and look for new stuff from those artists on beatport/juno etc...
FrankC15 9:50 PM - 6 April, 2011
For an absolute beginner, I'd recommend finding some DJs whose vibe you'd like to emulate. Find out what tracks they play, who the remixers are. Once you learn which producers and remixers you like, hunt down more of their tracks. Of course, the goal is to have your own style and develop your own taste, not just be a copycat of someone else. Also pay attention to which record labels are putting out tunes that you like. Usually a label will be geared towards a very specific sound, so keeping an eye on their release pages in Beatport can help you find more tunes that you like. It's also helpful to expand your listening habits beyond just a couple genres. EDM genres are more about marketing than anything else, and you'll often find that something marked "House" could also easily be labeled as "Indie Dance/Nu Disco" or "Techno".
Mr. Goodkat 10:17 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
EDM genres are more about marketing than anything else,

sorta, especially with sub genres, and in beatport(lots of pay sites), often times things are mislabeled.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 12:58 AM - 7 April, 2011
www.traxsource.com

You can thank me later
Marx&Villain 2:12 AM - 7 April, 2011
i remember the S&D days
C. William 2:14 AM - 7 April, 2011
yep...you gotta get into it. you gotta dig through edm music stores, blogs, podcasts, mixes, soundcloud, etc

if you're not feeling it, then you're not going to be able to spin it well at all
Victor L 2:42 AM - 7 April, 2011
this is def an interesting thread. like a lot of you said, you have to do what you like, thats it. last week i did a pretty big party downtown detroit, 3 other djs went on before me and i was a little worried that they would play a few of the songs i intended on playing. never happened. 1st played more hard house, 2nd went progressive dutch, 3rd played some top40 remixes, so decide what you like and YOU DO YOU.
JMacrosoft 3:02 AM - 7 April, 2011
Quote:

Spoken like a true connoisseur of EDM! Also you are correct. Way too much garbage out there.
Evon 10:12 AM - 7 April, 2011
Quote:

The hardest part to me is when im shoppin for new tunes and get on a role and i start lowering the bar. Like ill be listening and thin"gargbage, gargabe, gargabge, oh THERE WE GO, OH AND THIS TO"...but after a hot streaks of lets say 4 hot tracks it turns into "Oh and this track it ok the bass lines hot ..BUY... oh this one says dance i can work this in ...BUY...oh that kinda sounds like a shitty version of the 1st hot track i found it would be a good transition ...BUY "

Sometimes I have this problem. Now I usually let the tunes rest in my shoppingcart for a few days before buying them. I always find a few tunes I liked right there and then, but not as good after a few days when listening to them again. I repeat this process til I got a bunch of good tunes.
phatbob 12:56 PM - 7 April, 2011
Speaking as an old-school UK house DJ, I would add that the rise of the Internet and decline of independent labels has really caused a problem for house jocks.

Back in the day the labels did that curating for you, I could walk into a record shop and grab the latest Strictly tune and I'd know I'd be getting some quality US house. You can still do that now to an extent, i.e with Ram Records on the D&B scene, but so many of those smaller labels have just disappeared.

It also annoys the heck out of me that you can't search via label on iTunes.

One suggestion I'd make is that if you find a track you like, check out the label it's on and you'll likely find some other tracks you enjoy. Often you can buy directly on their sites too, which I'm sure supports them with higher revenue than buying from a store.
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:34 PM - 7 April, 2011
Quote:
i remember the STD days

ya..thank god for pennasillin
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:44 PM - 7 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Sometimes I have this problem. Now I usually let the tunes rest in my shoppingcart for a few days before buying them. I always find a few tunes I liked right there and then, but not as good after a few days when listening to them again. I repeat this process til I got a bunch of good tunes.

Good idea, i need to start doing this, another thing I ABSOLUTLEY HATE is when i hear a track on my computer speakers on beatport and think..DAAMNN THATS A BANGER, and i get all hyped about it, listen to it a few times think yes this is gonna be HUGE, buy it put it in a crate, get all giddy about it, go to the gig on sat night get all hyped about playing it, drop it aaaaannnnnndddd.....your listening to it play at the gig and it dosent sound near as good as it did 3 days ago on your mac speakers. Like its missing something and it just dosent have that IT that you thought it had.
thebuttonfreak 1:48 PM - 7 April, 2011
Also listen go to more sites than just beatport because they often have other parts of the tune to sample, sometimes beatport is pretty stupid when it comes to which minute of a track you can preview. And some sites, like BoomKat for example actually take the time to review tracks and instead of selling everything under the sun do some filtering and only sell what they think is good.
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:48 PM - 7 April, 2011
Quote:
Speaking as an old-school UK house DJ, I would add that the rise of the Internet and decline of independent labels has really caused a problem for house jocks.

Back in the day the labels did that curating for you, I could walk into a record shop and grab the latest Strictly tune and I'd know I'd be getting some quality US house. You can still do that now to an extent, i.e with Ram Records on the D&B scene, but so many of those smaller labels have just disappeared.

One suggestion I'd make is that if you find a track you like, check out the label it's on and you'll likely find some other tracks you enjoy. Often you can buy directly on their sites too, which I'm sure supports them with higher revenue than buying from a store.

THIS! When you had to own expensive synths and physical equipment and have shit pressed on vinyl the quality of whats out there was sooo much better. Then everyone began getting pirated copys of fruit loops for their 8th birthday and and the POS moved to online and it turned from going through 50 records and hearins 2 shitty songs 30 ehhh songs 10 pretty good songs and 8 or so really quality tracks, to having to log onto breatport and literally wade through 500 8 bit nintendo bing bing boom standard fruity loops drum and synth tracks to find ONE quality track.
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:49 PM - 7 April, 2011
Quote:
Also listen go to more sites than just beatport because they often have other parts of the tune to sample, sometimes beatport is pretty stupid when it comes to which minute of a track you can preview. And some sites, like BoomKat for example actually take the time to review tracks and instead of selling everything under the sun do some filtering and only sell what they think is good.

lol good point, ive heard previews where the entire preview is the intro buildup lol
thebuttonfreak 1:52 PM - 7 April, 2011
I've gotten tracks that were amazing and when I buy it it turns out to have this horrific vocal through 80 percent of it. THat's the worst to me because a bad vocal will just make the thing unplayable.
Evon 3:03 PM - 7 April, 2011
Whish I could turn back the time to 2005 when Electro house was actually good, and not always the dirty dutch crap I hear all the time, can@t stand it.
blackavenger 3:16 PM - 7 April, 2011
Quote:
Whish I could turn back the time to 2005 when Electro house was actually good, and not always the dirty dutch crap I hear all the time, can@t stand it.

I wish Electro House was never conceived.
blackavenger 3:18 PM - 7 April, 2011
A promoter friend of mine calls it "Faux-lectro"...haha love that shit!
DjWoody 4:03 PM - 7 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Toolport, ooops, I mean Beatport has a HOLD feature that allows you to hold a track for later rather than putting it on your shopping cart.
Maskrider 5:12 PM - 7 April, 2011
Feel the music and just go from there.
dj_soo 5:35 PM - 7 April, 2011
Quote:

wasn't just the labels that would filter out the shit, it was the record store clerks and owners that knew your tastes and would pull hot tracks for you when you showed up each week. I miss that...
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 7:57 PM - 7 April, 2011
Quote:
www.traxsource.com

You can thank me later

Naw they ain't ready for that Val - they want that BEP-LIKE A G6-guetta electro ish..
Crackpipe 8:13 PM - 7 April, 2011
Go to a rave and do some ecstasy. It'll help you better connect with the crowd and I guarantee you'll hear EDM a lot differently thereafter. For instance you'll understand why this track has this sound effect or this track has this build up or why this section of this song is so repetitive. And no I'm not joking, just telling it how it is....
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:17 PM - 7 April, 2011
Quote:
Go to a rave and do some ecstasy. It'll help you better connect with the crowd and I guarantee you'll hear EDM a lot differently thereafter. For instance you'll understand why this track has this sound effect or this track has this build up or why this section of this song is so repetitive. And no I'm not joking, just telling it how it is....

well .......i mean........hes.......you dont.......i mean its not......fine ya hes right this is an important step on the journey
blackavenger 8:33 PM - 7 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

well .......i mean........hes.......you dont.......i mean its not......fine ya hes right this is an important step on the journey

I resent this entire statement. I haven't eaten a bean in almost 9 years, and I am more than fulfilled by the depth & complexity of the music. Only shallow minds "NEED" substances to get on the level. This is not a slight on those who choose to party every now and then.....but to claim it as necessary to "understand", is just weak!
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:35 PM - 7 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I resent this entire statement. I haven't eaten a bean in almost 9 years, and I am more than fulfilled by the depth & complexity of the music. Only shallow minds "NEED" substances to get on the level. This is not a slight on those who choose to party every now and then.....but to claim it as necessary to "understand", is just weak!

your statment was disqualified as soon as you said " I haven't eaten a bean in almost 9 years", you were there, ya did it, you experienced the same thing were talkin about.

We arent saying its necessary for continued enjoyment but you cant tell me it doent enhance the experience and certin things about the music make more sence
Rob Pointer 8:36 PM - 7 April, 2011
I recently went through about 300 tracks on Beatport.

I found 10 worth buying. It's hard work being critical and sticking to one's guns when trying to not buy filler.

But it is worth it because at the end of the day, everything I own now I want to play. That's a good problem to have and makes me excited to DJ when I get a chance to.

At first I had thousands of tracks and couldn't remember what anything sounded like. When I got back from miami this year (the real WMC, not Ultra) and I immediately deleted all my playlists and tracks and rebuilt from scratch and removed everything that sounded marginal.

Best thing I've done in years since moving to the digital realm to DJ.
DjWoody 8:50 PM - 7 April, 2011
Hey Rob, how was the real WMC? I'm curious to know.
DjWoody 8:51 PM - 7 April, 2011
Quote:

This!
Daktyl 9:27 PM - 7 April, 2011
Quote:

true story....

Quote:
Quote:

lol good point, ive heard previews where the entire preview is the intro buildup lol

I hate this... the pointless preview
dj_craigmac 9:44 PM - 7 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

www.traxsource.com

You can thank me later

Naw they ain't ready for that Val - they want that BEP-LIKE A G6-guetta electro ish..

Yo Art and Val, I had the same thoughts about both of your posts but just didn't say it. I had a young dj tell me that my housemusic is "TOO BLACK" and i should start buying my "edm" from weakport... oops i mean beatport
Joshua Carl 9:52 PM - 7 April, 2011
Ive always leaned to EDM when I want to encompass in conversation the non 100-145 stuff.
IE Triphop, ambient, downtempo, drum and bass, jungle ect ect ect.
sure, alot of its still "dance music"

after readin this, its good to see so many educated heads on this side of the platter.
as most have come ti terms with dance music has leaned to other DVS with the
new school catz (and some old)

Ive always felt that dance music and underground hiphop had the greatest ability
for a djs taste and expression to shine...they are genres where YOU choose whats
good...not the crowd, or the radio, or a chart.

it also requires the biggest digging commitment.
you cant just join a pool and take it all in...especially now-a-days with fly-by-night
producers, and severely limited quality control.
really have to use your ear and preview your selections on a nice system and such.

while the daunting task of mixing dance music is perhaps the simplest for most.
the research, programming, application of key mixing, and showmanship are tested
more so than say a top40 dj, crossover hiphop dj.
dj_craigmac 10:29 PM - 7 April, 2011
Quote:
Ive always leaned to EDM when I want to encompass in conversation the non 100-145 stuff.
IE Triphop, ambient, downtempo, drum and bass, jungle ect ect ect.
sure, alot of its still "dance music"

after readin this, its good to see so many educated heads on this side of the platter.
as most have come ti terms with dance music has leaned to other DVS with the
new school catz (and some old)

Ive always felt that dance music and underground hiphop had the greatest ability
for a djs taste and expression to shine...they are genres where YOU choose whats
good...not the crowd, or the radio, or a chart.

it also requires the biggest digging commitment.
you cant just join a pool and take it all in...especially now-a-days with fly-by-night
producers, and severely limited quality control.
really have to use your ear and preview your selections on a nice system and such.

while the daunting task of mixing dance music is perhaps the simplest for most.
the research, programming, application of key mixing, and showmanship are tested
more so than say a top40 dj, crossover hiphop dj.

+ 100... Well Said !
dj_soo 11:07 PM - 7 April, 2011
Quote:
I recently went through about 300 tracks on Beatport.

I found 10 worth buying. It's hard work being critical and sticking to one's guns when trying to not buy filler.

That's part of DJing right? filtering the good shit from the bad. Too many top40 djs are too used to radio and crowds dictating the music they should play and often forget the opposite end of the spectrum which is: digging and finding the tracks that define your own style.
Rob Pointer 11:17 PM - 7 April, 2011
yep, absolutely.

Sticking to your guns on what you think is good is hard work when there is so much out there and you only have your own instincts to tell you to play it or not.

I used to love Hip Hop for this (20+ years ago before it was on the radio - except for special mix shows).

But EDM has that now for carving and developing your own sound. One of the challenges is to also stay away from the charts available on Beatport and the like because, well, everyone is buying the same stuff.

I learned this in Miami a month ago where I was suddenly exposed to a large number of DJs dropping the same tunes all over the place. At first I was depressed, but then I realized - this is why one goes to a place like Miami for WMC to see what's going on.

When you spin in your locality, you don't have visibility into the rest of the country or world even unless you spend HUGE amounts of time trying to follow everyone else too. Then you get lazy thinking, yeah - this will work.

Then you realize everyone else is doing the same lazy approach with Beatport and the like.

It was a shot in the arm for me though because I never want to mimic or be lazy - but didn't really realize that's exactly what happened to me and I didn't even realize it.

So, back to serious crate digging again. I'm obsessed again - which I think is an important part of being a good DJ besides technical and programming skill.

Gotta be obsessed with finding gems and being unique so you can bring something of value to your dancers who might follow you (or convert those that have never heard your selections before).
Evon 11:24 PM - 7 April, 2011
Quote:

Not necessary to understand, but it sure does help :)
Daktyl 11:28 PM - 7 April, 2011
Quote:

One of the challenges is to also stay away from the charts available on Beatport and the like because, well, everyone is buying the same stuff.

I learned this in Miami a month ago where I was suddenly exposed to a large number of DJs dropping the same tunes all over the place. At first I was depressed, but then I realized - this is why one goes to a place like Miami for WMC to see what's going on.

This is all over the place. I was at a club recently that boasted multiple rooms with different styles of music... walking between the rooms throughout the night, you heard the same songs at different times... at one point 2 of the djs were playing the same song at the same exact time. Horrible....
dj_soo 11:30 PM - 7 April, 2011
it's so sad that in today's age where we have access to thousands of songs at our fingertips and can walk into any venue with our entire collection at our beck and call, and yet everyone still plays the exact same tunes.

This is even the case for a lot of EDM genres and DJs nowadays, it's sad.

This is why I'm getting into as much production as I can - then I can play my own shit that no one else has :).
Daktyl 11:34 PM - 7 April, 2011
Quote:

This is why I'm getting into as much production as I can - then I can play my own shit that no one else has :).

I'm starting to do the same thing... It helps that I know a lot of female vocalists with sexy voices :)
dj_craigmac 11:38 PM - 7 April, 2011
When i spin housemusic clubs all the other dj's in attendance rant and rave about how different i play from them and the true housemusic lovers/dancers always enjoy my sets. I think for edm harmonic mixing is taking away from dj's being original in their selection cause when i peak over other "edm" dj's shoulder they all have their library sorted by key which makes them sound the same IMO due to most of todays edm songs copying one another.
Laz219 11:48 PM - 7 April, 2011
I'm definitely guilty of getting into the habit of just buying the really popular tracks at the time and not really digging for my own stuff. Mostly due to time constraints when I want some new stuff for a gig but only have an hour or so to dig.

Then every once in a while I'll spent every spare hour digging back through all my record pools and collecting up all the tracks I had thought I wouldn't need that night but would like to have. So my library suddenly gets a boost of a couple of hundred tracks that are a lot more useful for crowds when I can play what I want.
dj_soo 11:55 PM - 7 April, 2011
Quote:
When i spin housemusic clubs all the other dj's in attendance rant and rave about how different i play from them and the true housemusic lovers/dancers always enjoy my sets. I think for edm harmonic mixing is taking away from dj's being original in their selection cause when i peak over other "edm" dj's shoulder they all have their library sorted by key which makes them sound the same IMO due to most of todays edm songs copying one another.

i think that has less to do with key-mixing and more to do with people being so much less picky about song selection. Nowadays with blogs and $2-$3 tracks it's so much easier for everyone to have the same top songs that people aren't even bothering to be original anymore.

When I was a strictly dnb DJ, I used to have to ration my anthem purchases since there were other tunes I really enjoyed and wanted to drop as well - with singles being $15-$20 each, I wouldn't grab all the top 10 anthems because I didn't actually like all of them and couldn't justify the money spent on the record (especially since local EDM gigs payed fuck-all).
thebuttonfreak 12:42 AM - 8 April, 2011
drugs are not necessary but they certainly speed the learning process up.
CALL_DOM 1:30 AM - 8 April, 2011
Quote:
I hate the "term" EDM.

+1

a few years ago it was all about the blogs, they kept up with the latest shit for you, there is still some good ones ou there, especially from people who run club nights and live to promote new awesome music.

also find out whos touring, playing festivals and stuff like that, generally acts worth knowing coincide new tracks with a tour..

i dont think u can keep up with this idea of 'EDM' as it encompasses to many styles, u can only find ur favorite styles and follow what is happening with them.
credentia1 1:43 AM - 8 April, 2011
radio shows are a good one. look at the track listings for the latest
dj_soo 1:47 AM - 8 April, 2011
mixes are still probably the best place to find tunes - listen to the mixes made by the producer/djs that you really enjoy - you're bound to find a bunch of new producers and labels through that.

Also charts - most of the big stores like beatport and juno have artist charts that list their top 10 tunes at the moment.
CALL_DOM 2:24 AM - 8 April, 2011
Lazy Richs monthly radio show is available for free with a tracklist from his myspace,

i find so much good stuff in those tracklistings, very niche style of hard/ dubstep/ electro flavour, but one that is really new and evolving atm
Evon 8:38 AM - 8 April, 2011
If I find a song with a sound I really like, I tend to check out the artist and label to see if they have different tunes with a similar feel and sound to it.
I don't mix tunes of the same producer unless its really minimalistic, but I don't see anything wrong with mixing songs from same recordlabel because they usually blend very nicely together, and if you have created a vibe the crowd like, you can extend that vibe.
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:57 PM - 8 April, 2011
Quote:
it's so sad that in today's age where we have access to thousands of songs at our fingertips and can walk into any venue with our entire collection at our beck and call, and yet everyone still plays the exact same tunes.

This is even the case for a lot of EDM genres and DJs nowadays, it's sad.

I think its a reflection of societey in general, the worlds set up so noone has to worry about experiencing something their not familiar with, I can fly out of mobile AL to Los angles and I can hear the same songs i like on the radio, i can eat a hamburger that tastes EXACTLY like the hamburger I eat for lunch everyday, I can stay in a hotel that is identical to every other hotel room ive stayed in. So unless your just an adventurous person you never have to leave yuor comfort zone.
Daktyl 3:23 PM - 8 April, 2011
I think you nailed it with that one bezzle (no homo) It's like the people who go on vacation 10,000 miles from home and end up eating at Mcdonalds and hitting up Eurodisney....
dj_rome 3:40 PM - 8 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

You know, I dislike this attitude (no offense to the few of yas holding this viewpoint). Sure some of their stuff is overplayed, but there's a reason for that. It's because the tracks are super-catchy, well-made, and uber-popular. Try producing something on a skrillex/deadmau5/afrojack level and come back here :)

This is not to say everything else is crap, or these guys are gods...just that they put out amazing bangers pretty consistently and you're guaranteed to get a good reaction from most crowds if you drop it right ;)

- Rome
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:49 PM - 8 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

You know, I dislike this attitude (no offense to the few of yas holding this viewpoint). Sure some of their stuff is overplayed, but there's a reason for that. It's because the tracks are super-catchy, well-made, and uber-popular. Try producing something on a skrillex/deadmau5/afrojack level and come back here :)

This is not to say everything else is crap, or these guys are gods...just that they put out amazing bangers pretty consistently and you're guaranteed to get a good reaction from most crowds if you drop it right ;)

- Rome

i think you missed the point, like you said they are uber popular, the point of the comment was you dont have to just play the popular songs that everyone else is playing. Yes they are great songs and well produced but there are also great well produced songs that every other dj on the planet ISNT playing
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:50 PM - 8 April, 2011
Quote:

just that they put out amazing bangers pretty consistently and you're guaranteed to get a good reaction from most crowds if you drop it right ;)

even this, the point of his comment was to take chances and not just play tracks that sre garenteed to get a great crowd reaction. If your getting good reaction from your crowd all night because your only playing the current trend ish then you really arent doing anything
DjWoody 3:57 PM - 8 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

- Rome

Real EDM is very crowd specific and most importantly, it's about the mood and the feeling. You can't open up for Richie Hawtin and drop some LMFAO or Crooklyn Clan or Afrojack. You'll clear the floor in a heartbeat. Shoot, I even think Richie himself will kick you out.

To me there's two EDM crowds: the ex-hip hop, top 40, mashup, crooklyn clan mainstream crowd who only pretends to like it and will forget about EDM once the new hot shit sound comes out, and the second one is the crowd who really loves it and is very passionate about it.

There's a huge difference. Trust me. The real EDM crowd is a very tight knight community. They love their music and will go way out of their way just for good music. They plan trips to other cities just to check out artists who never get to come over to their city. They plan trips to festivals all around the world, etc. Honestly, they also dislike the mainstream at their parties.

I had the privilege to play at both sides of the scene and I can tell you that I like the second one a whole lot better.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:11 PM - 8 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

- Rome

Real EDM is very crowd specific and most importantly, it's about the mood and the feeling. You can't open up for Richie Hawtin and drop some LMFAO or Crooklyn Clan or Afrojack. You'll clear the floor in a heartbeat. Shoot, I even think Richie himself will kick you out.

To me there's two EDM crowds: the ex-hip hop, top 40, mashup, crooklyn clan mainstream crowd who only pretends to like it and will forget about EDM once the new hot shit sound comes out, and the second one is the crowd who really loves it and is very passionate about it.

There's a huge difference. Trust me. The real EDM crowd is a very tight knight community. They love their music and will go way out of their way just for good music. They plan trips to other cities just to check out artists who never get to come over to their city. They plan trips to festivals all around the world, etc. Honestly, they also dislike the mainstream at their parties.

I had the privilege to play at both sides of the scene and I can tell you that I like the second one a whole lot better.

EXACTLY!!! if im at a rave and your on the lineup between icey and jackal and hyde and you drop some LMFAO or hypercrush i cant even begin to express how fast your discredited in my book
DjWoody 4:13 PM - 8 April, 2011
Quote:
i think you missed the point, like you said they are uber popular, the point of the comment was you dont have to just play the popular songs that everyone else is playing. Yes they are great songs and well produced but there are also great well produced songs that every other dj on the planet ISNT playing

EXACTLY! I'm a resident at a latin mainstream club, and every time I have a guest DJ, they're surprised by how different my EDM sets are and how well the crowd reacts. I don't resort to playing all the same hits every one else is. Here's some of the stuff I play at the mainstream club, and this is some of the more commercial hits. Sometimes I'll drop some underground in between.

Adam K, Duro The Third - Daun't Kick My Bag Bitch!!! (Dj Woody Edit)
Bob Sinclar - I Feel For You (Anthony Ross Remix)(Dj Woody Edit)
Empire Of The Sun - We Are The People (Axwell Remix)(Dj Woody Edit)
Koen Groeneveld - Rudder (Dj Woody Edit)
Tommy Trash, NO_ID, Sebastien Lintz - Nothing Left To Lose (Dj Woody Edit)
Ferry Corsten - Punk (Arty Rock-N-Rolla Mix)(Dj Woody Edit)
Audio Jacker - Pump Up The Volume
Green Velvet - Flash (Nicky Romero Remix)
Michael Woods - No Access
Quintino - Drop The Beat
Quintino - Feel The Bass (Bassjackers Remix)
Umek - Freaks On The Dancefloor
Tiesto - Lethal Industry (Bootleg)
DjWoody 4:14 PM - 8 April, 2011
BTW, EDM is not a trend, it's a lifestyle. You either get it or you don't.
Evon 4:15 PM - 8 April, 2011
Quote:

Spot on.
Rob Pointer 4:47 PM - 8 April, 2011
Quote:

well said and absolutely true.
Victor L 6:36 PM - 8 April, 2011
@ Woody - the Shazam remix of We Are the People is absolutely one of my faves ...

Watchwww.youtube.com
DjWoody 6:45 PM - 8 April, 2011
Quote:
@ Woody - the Shazam remix of We Are the People is absolutely one of my faves ...

Watchwww.youtube.com

That's a dope remix too! Nice and funky.
blackavenger 6:48 PM - 8 April, 2011
Quote:

Word.
DJ Kal-EL 7:01 AM - 21 September, 2017
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

Check out The Shapeshifters remix. Glory!
Mr. Goodkat 5:48 PM - 21 September, 2017
Quote:

ah 2011
blackavenger 6:03 PM - 21 September, 2017
I'm still into Dance Music.....probably always will be! Obviously, "EDM" (as an umbrella term for everything commercial/pop sounding within Dance Music) is on the decline and that's a good thing. But Dance Music as a whole is still going strong!! Techno has never been better. DnB is still kickin' ass. Tech-House is all good too. Deep Dubstep has been on the rise again as well.

If you're going to make Dance Music a part of your life, then you need to 1. Branch out your tastes, so to speak, into all the various subgenres and 2. Need to ride out and ebb and flow of it's mainstream popularity. Personally, I'm glad it's losing favor amongst the mainstream. It's time to separate the wheat from the chaff anyhow.
Mr. Goodkat 6:42 PM - 21 September, 2017
edm should have been epm since its never really been about dance and its really pop producers trying to do those forms of house and techno.

but i get what you are saying, actual house and techno and other electronic genres are at an all time high of quality releases

it just sucks that hip hop is so dominant that, at least in my large metro area, its almost impossible to get uptempo electronic gigs.
blackavenger 6:47 PM - 21 September, 2017
EPM.....I like it, haha!!