DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Cooling Pads and USB Hubs and cooling pad

djbriguy 1:55 PM - 5 July, 2007
I have 3 USB ports on my lappy, and its kind of old. It has 3 USB ports.

The touch-pad mouse is kinda wore out, so i use a USB mouse (which is also much easier)
Also am using external HD
and then SSL.

So all 3 USB ports are taken up. I run my Buffer setting at 5 and everything is ok so far, but I need to get a cooling pad.

All of the cooling pads that are ran by AC power are more expensive than the USB's.

In short, what cooling fans are you guys using (can you post a link?) and if you're using a HUB, do you experience any problems with dropouts and which one do you use? Thanks in advance
djbriguy 1:56 PM - 5 July, 2007
wow i completely jacked up the title of the thread, lol. (ahem, wish we could EDIT!) =)
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:01 PM - 5 July, 2007
Thread moved to *general discussions* section.
shiestO! 7:28 PM - 5 July, 2007
Quote:
wow i completely jacked up the title of the thread, lol. (ahem, wish we could EDIT!) =)

and cooling pads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
skinnyguy 7:36 PM - 5 July, 2007
some, if not most, usb cooling pads have a usb-thru cord so it leaves you another port to plug into. i'd plug the mouse into that.
OakLawnDJ 7:36 PM - 5 July, 2007
I haven't tried a hub on my laptop with SSL, but I'll give it a shot when I'm fooling around tonight and let you know how it turns out.
OakLawnDJ 7:40 PM - 5 July, 2007
Honestly, if you're only plugging it in for a cooling pad, you're really only using it for a power source, which will be very little load on the computer itself; I suspect that it will make very little difference, if any at all, on performance. But like I said, I'll hook up a hub and some extra USB stuff tonight and let you know how it turns out - I'm not sure how it'll compare though as my laptop is pretty damn new. lol

Best bet, in my opinion, is to start looking at TigerDirect.com for a newer laptop so you don't need the external mouse and hard drive. My laptop has a 100GB HD and only cost $600 after rebates. Just my $0.02.
DJ FUN TIMES :) 8:01 PM - 5 July, 2007
I have the same problem as djbriguy. I own a Apple Macbook and that only as 2 usb ports. I use one for my USB mouse and the other for my ssl box. I was think of killing 2 birds with one stone by getting a cooling pad with extra USB ports so I can run an external HD.

I'm kinda scared to try this with all the USB drop outs with the Macbook. What do yall think I should do?
latindj 9:16 PM - 5 July, 2007
You can buy a cheap powered hub, don't connect it to the computer at all, and just run your cooling pad off of it since it only needs power and no signal. That's what I do when needed.
dj cubicle 9:18 PM - 5 July, 2007
Quote:
Honestly, if you're only plugging it in for a cooling pad, you're really only using it for a power source, which will be very little load on the computer itself; I suspect that it will make very little difference, if any at all, on performance. But like I said, I'll hook up a hub and some extra USB stuff tonight and let you know how it turns out - I'm not sure how it'll compare though as my laptop is pretty damn new. lol

Best bet, in my opinion, is to start looking at TigerDirect.com for a newer laptop so you don't need the external mouse and hard drive. My laptop has a 100GB HD and only cost $600 after rebates. Just my $0.02.

granted, my other laptop wasn't BLAZING fast, but SSL freaked out when I plugged my cooling pad in even though they were on two different ports. i never did troubleshoot that, just didn't plug the cooling pad in again. LOL
OakLawnDJ 9:20 PM - 5 July, 2007
Quote:
You can buy a cheap powered hub, don't connect it to the computer at all, and just run your cooling pad off of it since it only needs power and no signal. That's what I do when needed.

that's a damn good idea!
Panic City 10:56 PM - 5 July, 2007
i use a usb cooling pad. works great and keeps the bottom of my mac cool. If I didnt use it, it could get hot as hell!
DJ FUN TIMES :) 1:35 PM - 6 July, 2007
Quote:

I'm not to familar with computers, so help me understand this. If I get a powered hub and I plug it into a wall socket and that will power my cooling pad? Your saying don't connect the hub to my computer, so if I don't connect it to my computer how will I be able to hook up my external hd and USB mouse?
KaGeN 3:33 PM - 6 July, 2007
^^ you're trying to lessen the burden on the computers power supply from causing any more heat by endlessly powering a FAN!!! Plugging in the mouse and external is fine or a necessary evil, but a power hungry fan would certainly be best run off a different source of power. Let the hub power adapter get hot instead.
djbriguy 3:58 PM - 6 July, 2007
DJ Fun Times,
He's saying run a USB JUST to power the cooling pad. Don't connect to the computer at all.
latindj 4:43 PM - 6 July, 2007
Quote:
^^ you're trying to lessen the burden on the computers power supply from causing any more heat by endlessly powering a FAN!!! Plugging in the mouse and external is fine or a necessary evil, but a power hungry fan would certainly be best run off a different source of power. Let the hub power adapter get hot instead.

Exactly. Thanks for clearing that up.
DJMark 7:55 PM - 6 July, 2007
Quote:

I've used USB-powered cooling pads for a couple years now, and it doesn't seem to be causing the power supply to have heat problems. Those fans don't really draw very much current.
DJMark 7:57 PM - 6 July, 2007
Quote:
I have the same problem as djbriguy. I own a Apple Macbook and that only as 2 usb ports. I use one for my USB mouse and the other for my ssl box. I was think of killing 2 birds with one stone by getting a cooling pad with extra USB ports so I can run an external HD.

I'd strongly suggest running the external drive from Firewire. It works better in general, and places less burden on the computer's CPU.
djbriguy 8:49 PM - 6 July, 2007
Quote:

I'd strongly suggest running the external drive from Firewire. It works better in general, and places less burden on the computer's CPU.

too late, already bought a USB version. I will buy firewire at some point though... and use the USB as backup.
DJ FUN TIMES :) 10:02 PM - 6 July, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks, i was thinking of getting the Lacie Rugged hard drive. Is this a good on to get? I like the fact that with this HD can be powered without pluging it in the wall. Since the HD is powered using Firewire connection will this also cause any problems for my MacBook?
DJMark 3:22 AM - 7 July, 2007
Quote:
Thanks, i was thinking of getting the Lacie Rugged hard drive. Is this a good on to get? I like the fact that with this HD can be powered without pluging it in the wall. Since the HD is powered using Firewire connection will this also cause any problems for my MacBook?

I use a bus-powered Firewire drive for DJ-ing (by "bus-powered", I mean the same thing you described, it gets its power through the Firewire cable and needs no seperate power connection), and it's been working great for the past 18 months.

I think the Lacie drive you're talking about is one of those that has a plastic case with no ventilation. I think anything designed like that is a bad choice, because the drive has too much internal heat buildup.

I buy bare laptop-type drives, and put them in aluminum cases made by Macally...model of the case is PHR-250CC. The aluminum dissipates heat a lot better than plastic, plus that case has some ventilation. These cases have both USB and Firewire ports on them, and are sold at places like Newegg and local computer stores like Central Computer here in SF.

Not only is that a much better solution, you'll also probably pay less for the drive and case (if you compare the same size Lacie unit). It is *very* easy to install the bare drive in this case, so don't let that intimidate you (just have a small screwdriver ready).

By the way, I think that "rugged" Lacie enclosure is all about looks. It's not like rubber bumpers on the enclosure are going to save the drive if you drop it while its running.
mikep 8:00 PM - 7 July, 2007
If you're concern is freeing up a USB port and powering the fan, you could also just get a power adapter for the cooling pad.
If you want the additional ports use the powered hub and power the fan on the hub lus your mouse/HD.