DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Oh, the hilarity never ends....

dj cubicle 7:18 AM - 1 July, 2007
Oh God, I'm laughing my ass off. Hopefully you guys get a kick out of this one as well...So the same spot that I was told Summertime by Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince was too "gangsta" was host to a black sorority's night out during their summer celebration. I took that to mean that I had carte blance on what I played, Ay Bay Bay! I started playing at 10, and the first people showed up the club at about 10:10. By 10:15 the dance floor was packed and it never slowed down.

All in all, the night went well, but apparently Pefect Gentleman by Wyclef was a bad plan, cuz somebody threw a cup at me. Whatever. A dude came up at the end of the night telling me I had a lot of nerve to show up and spin for their party...and then shook my hand and told me I killed it.

Pics: www.djcubicle.com

If you don't see a list of pics right away, click into your address bar and hit enter to reload it. My web host is weird. Oh, and if you spot a white person anywhere, let me know. LOL

The saga continues, it only gets weirder.
papsworth 8:52 AM - 1 July, 2007
do you spend your weekdays in a cubilce? is that why you call yourself dj cubicle on here?
djskiggz 9:37 AM - 1 July, 2007
lol are you high
papsworth 2:50 PM - 1 July, 2007
no i don't do drugs. haven't smoked weed in over five years.
djskiggz 7:54 PM - 1 July, 2007
lol nevermind.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 8:23 PM - 1 July, 2007
i saw 3 white people

what do i win?
DJ Irv 8:42 PM - 1 July, 2007
Quote:
A dude came up at the end of the night telling me I had a lot of nerve to show up and spin for their party

Nerve? I don't get it? Your not David Duke and it wasn't a Black Panther Party?
DJUltimate 8:48 PM - 1 July, 2007
dj cubicle 8:49 PM - 1 July, 2007
OMG, I haven't laughed that hard in a long time, Ultimate.
OakLawnDJ 8:53 PM - 1 July, 2007

LOL
DJUltimate 9:00 PM - 1 July, 2007
LOL, I kinda feel bad for those people though. I always feel weird when I'm the only one white person at a place (it's only happened a few times). I know it's ridiculous but I feel like everyone is looking at me and thinking "what the hell is the white boy doing here?"

But the best thing is when you're the only white person there AND you're the DJ. I've done a few gigs (both mobile and club) where you could tell the crowd was thinking "this white boy is gonna suck" and then I rocked it. I did an all black wedding once and I was being starred at the whole time but when it came time to dance, I played a bunch of Hip Hop, Reggae and Old School and one lady came up and said to me (I swear to God she said this, word for word) "Yo, you white on the outside but you gotta be black on the inside!" I almost pissed myself I was laughing so hard. I love telling people that story. It always gets a killer laugh. That was a great night.
J_Static 9:13 PM - 1 July, 2007
Quote:
But the best thing is when you're the only white person there AND you're the DJ. you could tell the crowd was thinking "this white boy is gonna suck" and then I rocked it.

I agree, I've been there but I'm a mutt. Half Puerto Rican and Half Irish.....

I helped open @ 17th in downtown Oakland. CA and that place is predominately black and mixed with usually NO WHITE PEOPLE! So u can imagine both grand opening and our first new years there with Tony Toni Tone doing a performance, I was getting looks like: "Yea right, he's the DJ!"

Then I start my hip-hop set and people are still kinda like: "WTF" Then 15 minutes into ripping people are like: "This guys killing it!"

Have had the same thing Ultimate with people coming up to the booth like: "Damn u got soul or are you sure your not black." Especially when I play that 2-step music for the older folks in the crowd.....
djskiggz 9:26 PM - 1 July, 2007
lol @ those pics.
Thundercat 9:47 PM - 1 July, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
But the best thing is when you're the only white person there AND you're the DJ. you could tell the crowd was thinking "this white boy is gonna suck" and then I rocked it.

<snip>

"Damn u got soul or are you sure your not black." Especially when I play that 2-step music for the older folks in the crowd.....

Is it really that bad in other areas of the country? I've seriously never experienced anything like that where presumptions were made about the DJ based on their color or nationality.
J_Static 9:48 PM - 1 July, 2007
its bad to a point
DJUltimate 10:22 PM - 1 July, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

<snip>

"Damn u got soul or are you sure your not black." Especially when I play that 2-step music for the older folks in the crowd.....

Is it really that bad in other areas of the country? I've seriously never experienced anything like that where presumptions were made about the DJ based on their color or nationality.

I'm not offended by it at all.
Halfrikan 2:53 AM - 2 July, 2007
There was a bunch of dudes for it to be a sorority party
djpuma_gemini 3:16 AM - 2 July, 2007
Wouldn't it be weirder if it were all white people and a black dj. The dj would think, "do i play house, country, or just run.
OakLawnDJ 5:29 AM - 2 July, 2007
Quote:
There was a bunch of dudes for it to be a sorority party

If you knew about a sorority party, wouldn't you be there too? =p
matt212 7:04 AM - 2 July, 2007

LOL. I think on the last pic you might have a 50/50 chance of the girl being white. I know alot of sistahs that have blonde weave or dye in their head.

BTW, I didn't know Cubicle or Ultimate was white. You two have a ghetto pass issued in your name, but it will be revoked promptly if you ever play that Wyclef track at a black party again. lol
AMF 11:54 AM - 2 July, 2007
Quote:
Wouldn't it be weirder if it were all white people and a black dj. The dj would think, "do i play house, country, or just run.

I'm in that boat from time to time =P
DJ Young Herrera 1:18 PM - 2 July, 2007
Yo, cubicle what club is that? I swear i've been there...
djknyce 1:31 PM - 2 July, 2007
Quote:

Ive been there alot, and when they see me I can tell they are thinking what is he gonna be playing, but then I ll start killing it with all types of stuff!
DJUltimate 1:34 PM - 2 July, 2007
Quote:

LOL. I think on the last pic you might have a 50/50 chance of the girl being white. I know alot of sistahs that have blonde weave or dye in their head.

You can see her right hand. Just near the right shoulder of the guy in the Yankee hat with the red shirt ;)
dj cubicle 1:48 PM - 2 July, 2007
Young, that was at Studio 4. I'm spinning there on Saturdays now. Although for how long, I'm not sure. Every week it's been a different adventure. Some good, most bad. This past weekend was the best night I've had there.
DJ Autograph 2:33 PM - 2 July, 2007
Quote:

I went to school in the middle of PA and the school was 90% white so I too have been in his situation many a time but I played all hip hop and dancehall shit and my parties were always full.
DJUltimate 2:39 PM - 2 July, 2007
I'm going to go off topic here... Since I'm white, I've always wondered something. I've DJ'd a TON of weddings where the entire crowd is white except for one black couple. Now I know you can't speak for everybody but generally speaking... does that couple feel alienated or left out or weird? Even though they shouldn't and even though they are the only people in room who know how to dance. Can somebody let a clueless white boy know? :)
djaction 2:42 PM - 2 July, 2007
i prefer being the only white person @ a party.. helps me stand out amongst the crowd.

although like most things, white people usually fuck up a party.
DJUltimate 2:45 PM - 2 July, 2007
Quote:
although like most things, white people usually fuck up a party.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! White people fuck up everything. That's hilarious. So true. We suck!
DJ Young Herrera 3:46 PM - 2 July, 2007
Quote:
Young, that was at Studio 4. I'm spinning there on Saturdays now. Although for how long, I'm not sure. Every week it's been a different adventure. Some good, most bad. This past weekend was the best night I've had there.

I thought that was studio 4!! I was there Friday and Saturday night. Good work on Saturday. Yo, your pics page won't load for me. I need to see if i'm in any of those pics...

Yo, who told you summertime was too gangsta? Does his name start with an r or a j?
dj cubicle 3:58 PM - 2 July, 2007
Hit the photobucket pages farther up. I just hope you weren't the dude with stunna shades and a towel on your head!!!! Man, I wish I would have known you were there. Next time while I'm doing announcements with my headphones plugged in as my mic (Yes, HELLA old school) I'll make sure to name drop the hell outta myself. :-)

I'm there every Saturday. ...and by every Saturday I mean I show up wondering if they have a deal with a promoter who has booked another DJ and someone forgot to tell me. LOL
DJ Autograph 3:59 PM - 2 July, 2007
Quote:
I'm going to go off topic here... Since I'm white, I've always wondered something. I've DJ'd a TON of weddings where the entire crowd is white except for one black couple. Now I know you can't speak for everybody but generally speaking... does that couple feel alienated or left out or weird? Even though they shouldn't and even though they are the only people in room who know how to dance. Can somebody let a clueless white boy know? :)

Can't speak for eveybody but I personally don't feel weird. I get along well with everybody and i'm not cliquish (got me introuble with the minority population at school because i didn't stick with them). In Jamaica our motto is "Out of many, one people" so yea, there is your answer.
DJ Young Herrera 5:23 PM - 2 July, 2007
Cubicle,
No I wasn't wearing stunna shades and a towel on my head...actually I'm Mexican so I was a light face in the crowd.

Check me out haha..

i204.photobucket.com
dj cubicle 5:28 PM - 2 July, 2007
i can't get to photobucket at work. :(
DJ Young Herrera 5:35 PM - 2 July, 2007
Just check it out later. Its kinda funny. You can't see me actually. You can just barely see my shirt.
AMF 5:39 PM - 2 July, 2007
Quote:
Cubicle,
No I wasn't wearing stunna shades and a towel on my head...actually I'm Mexican so I was a light face in the crowd.

Check me out haha..

i204.photobucket.com

That is too funny!!! BTW, that was me with the stunna shades and the towel. I wanted to hear "summertime" sooooo bad so I could wil' the f**k out!!!
AMF 5:39 PM - 2 July, 2007
<jk>
dj cubicle 5:45 PM - 2 July, 2007
Man, you got a big head, but that dude has defensive tackle written all over him.
DJ Young Herrera 6:59 PM - 2 July, 2007
That's a nice towel. haha.
MusicMeister 7:41 PM - 2 July, 2007
i92.photobucket.com

Missed one... to the right of the arrow... at the back of the room. Hard to miss.....

And I'll hang almost anywhere.... Was one of just a dozen or so white people at the blues and old school festival in Huntsville, Alabama (home of Alabama A&M). Had a blast there too! Saw some AWESOME groups...
DJUltimate 11:28 PM - 2 July, 2007
Quote:
i92.photobucket.com

Missed one... to the right of the arrow... at the back of the room. Hard to miss....

DAMMIT!!
djpuma_gemini 1:26 AM - 3 July, 2007
Most of the white girls are the usual fat ones who go for the brothers. Especially this pic right here
i92.photobucket.com
She thinks shes all that grinding and shit.
As long as people have fun, drink, dance and party, who cares what the ratio is.
Dj Shamann 11:20 AM - 3 July, 2007
Quote:

I'm hearing these stories and I'm thinking WTF, where do you people live? Either that or I'm thinking you don't get out much (And trust me, I don't mean that as a dis)

I lived in Jamaica for a short while growing up and have visited many times, spinning at some serious dances and yeah, on the surface I don't match the scenery but nobody ever gave a fuck. How is it a big deal where you people are at?
sweetL 12:15 PM - 3 July, 2007
when i did spin more regular, i used to get a lot of being the only white dude in the place... and lots of 'so, what nationality are you?, are you mixed, or like, white white?' kinda statements, which was quite funny...

(i used to cater for a specific crowd, who are very choosy about who they get to spin)... and at that time, there was no good london djs available... so that left me, off-ends, travellin to london to rock their jams where you would have two or three known djs in the crowd, who got denied slots because they're too wack.... and to add insult to injury... im not just bush, im white. lol

bare people asked me where i was from im like 'northampton' and they all thought i said 'north london' but had a funny accent.

london people are, er, interesting at times.
DJUltimate 1:19 PM - 3 July, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

I'm hearing these stories and I'm thinking WTF, where do you people live? Either that or I'm thinking you don't get out much (And trust me, I don't mean that as a dis)

I lived in Jamaica for a short while growing up and have visited many times, spinning at some serious dances and yeah, on the surface I don't match the scenery but nobody ever gave a fuck. How is it a big deal where you people are at?

I never said that OTHER people cared about me being the only white guy. I only said that I felt a little weird. It's not like I was being hated on or anything like that.
Dj Shamann 4:03 PM - 3 July, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
I never said that OTHER people cared about me being the only white guy. I only said that I felt a little weird. It's not like I was being hated on or anything like that.

Quote:

But the best thing is when you're the only white person there AND you're the DJ. I've done a few gigs (both mobile and club) where you could tell the crowd was thinking "this white boy is gonna suck" and then I rocked it. I did an all black wedding once and I was being starred at the whole time but when it came time to dance, I played a bunch of Hip Hop, Reggae and Old School and one lady came up and said to me (I swear to God she said this, word for word) "Yo, you white on the outside but you gotta be black on the inside!" I almost pissed myself I was laughing so hard. I love telling people that story. It always gets a killer laugh. That was a great night.

?
cappinkirk 8:35 PM - 3 July, 2007
i guess you had to be there
Mr. $weetlife 8:45 PM - 3 July, 2007
Quote:

I've been in that situation and I rocked the house. Even got a generous tip from the host afterwards.

I didn't feel intimidated at all.
Mr. $weetlife 8:45 PM - 3 July, 2007
...and I didn't play one single country song!
DJUltimate 1:09 AM - 4 July, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

I'm hearing these stories and I'm thinking WTF, where do you people live?

Dude you live in Canada. It's obviously a little different.
Dj Shamann 6:39 PM - 4 July, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm hearing these stories and I'm thinking WTF, where do you people live?

Dude you live in Canada. It's obviously a little different.

LOL @ the Canada remark, so typical...So what if it's different, I'm supposed to be ashamed that there's isn't so much racial tension at a gig up here? Do you think it's all white guys in parka's at a jam? We have 6 million people here in the GTA (Toronto), 44% of that are immigrants (not including those from immigrant families) we have one of the highest West Indian populations in the world... and did I not just say I used to live and play in Jamaica (REAL yard dances, not some bookshelf fatman scoop coca cola bottle shit) and nobody gave a shit down there?

And let's be clear about the type of place I'm talking....when the word "ghetto" is used in the states and used in Jamaica it's two VERY different things.

And does Thundercat live in Canada? Comment on where he lives because he made the initial comment about never experiencing the feeling of being "stared at" because the crowd was thinking "he was going to suck", I just agreed with his sentiment. Maybe you directed towards me because I pointed out your backpeddle? I don't know because it never seemed that serious to me in the first place.

BTW, I used to spend time down by you, Dade County to be exact, so don't brush me off because I live in an igloo and take my dogsled to the club. ;p
sixxx 6:49 PM - 4 July, 2007
lol @ dogsled.
Alixx J 9:34 PM - 4 July, 2007
DJUltimate 11:08 PM - 4 July, 2007
I never said racial tension. I was never afraid or anything like that. I just simply stated that I received strange looks and some funny compliments. It's not like they were chanting "KILL WHITEY" while I was spinning. (BTW, the experiences I am referring to all occurred when I lived in CT)

And for the record... YES, I do think Canada is full of white guys in parkas ;)

HAHAHAHA Dog sled.
DJUltimate 11:11 PM - 4 July, 2007
DJ FLATLINE 3:07 AM - 5 July, 2007
Quote:

I dont know what youve heard about Canada but you're definitely mis-informed...lol

Come up to Toronto the weekend of August 3rd and you'll see what I'm talking about...Dj Shamann knows what I'm talking about.

I doubt you can handle all the prime grade A vagina that will be out on that weekend....I'm talking about 5x the size of anything that has ever happened at Miami beach or Luke freakfest with a 4:1 ratio girls to guys mostly of black origin....Not to mention, 20-30 trucks full of speakers going down 2-4 kilometers of lakeshore blvd. very slowly with upwards of 2 million bystanders.....Can you tell I'm excited????....lol

As a matter of fact, I invite all Canadian haters to come up here on that weekend. I gaurantee you're mind will change forever about Canada!!! (Toronto atleast).

"a picture of what one of the trucks looked like last year"

s37.photobucket.com
DJUltimate 3:28 AM - 5 July, 2007
it was a joke
DJ FLATLINE 5:19 AM - 5 July, 2007
Quote:
it was a joke

I know man.....lol

you should still come up here for it though....real talk. You'l lhave so much fun chasing quality tail that weekend.....Man girls are out by the plane, train, bus, car, spaceship load.....
DJ Autograph 6:44 AM - 5 July, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

I dont know what youve heard about Canada but you're definitely mis-informed...lol

Come up to Toronto the weekend of August 3rd and you'll see what I'm talking about...Dj Shamann knows what I'm talking about.

I doubt you can handle all the prime grade A vagina that will be out on that weekend....I'm talking about 5x the size of anything that has ever happened at Miami beach or Luke freakfest with a 4:1 ratio girls to guys mostly of black origin....Not to mention, 20-30 trucks full of speakers going down 2-4 kilometers of lakeshore blvd. very slowly with upwards of 2 million bystanders.....Can you tell I'm excited????....lol

As a matter of fact, I invite all Canadian haters to come up here on that weekend. I gaurantee you're mind will change forever about Canada!!! (Toronto atleast).

"a picture of what one of the trucks looked like last year"

s37.photobucket.com

CARIBANNA(Or whatever you call it now) Wickedest weekend anywhere on this continent hands down. The man is right. Go check it out of you can.

Shamann, What part of J.A. did you live in and how long were you there?
sweetL 9:39 AM - 5 July, 2007
the girl who felt your snake is noice
DJ FLATLINE 12:13 PM - 5 July, 2007
Quote:
CARIBANNA(Or whatever you call it now) Wickedest weekend anywhere on this continent hands down. The man is right. Go check it out of you can.

Yeah man...you know about it huh....lol. Are you coming up this year?
DJ Autograph 2:11 PM - 5 July, 2007
^^^

Trying to, not sure if I will make it this year. Been previous years so I know what it's all about.
Nicky Blunt 2:41 PM - 5 July, 2007
Quote:
...and I didn't play one single country song!

killed it!

R U Sure you never buss cotten eye'd joe!

C'mon man be honest! LOL