Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Pioneer DJM-900 Nexus

Kmxorbit 7:04 AM - 21 March, 2011
www.youtube.com

Does anyone knows when this mixer will be released?
It is the new replacement for the DJM-800.
I think it will be a perfect partner for the V7's, but I'm a bit concerned that this Mixer will offer a breakthrough for Traktor scratch Pro users. (It has Traktor Certified built in sound card)

If this Mixer start to turn up as a standard in clubs and bars together with CDJ900 or 2000's, it will be very easy for any DJ to choose between rekordbox or traktor by just pluggin' in with a laptop by 1 USB cable in front of the mixer. Not other gear necessary any more.

This should be taken very serious by Serato don't you think?
marcA 7:44 AM - 21 March, 2011
nice mixer...
Rob Pointer 4:34 PM - 21 March, 2011
SL4 ftw.
nik39 10:34 AM - 25 March, 2011
DJM900 Recall... ;)
Schuyler 1:12 PM - 25 March, 2011
You should seriously consider the A&H Xone:DB4

It might have a higher pricetag but it has a mess of awesome FX on it, has everything that the DJM 900 has too except for the whole CDJ integration.

DJM 900 will definitely be a bit of a Serato killer thanks to Serato's dooming license with Rane. Sounds like you guys need to start going your own ways!
Kmxorbit 1:31 PM - 25 March, 2011
maybe I should look into it again, but in general the feel of A&H clubmixers (which I gigged with) are not my kind of mixer. I'm not saying they're bad, but I just feel more comfortable on Pio mixers... (= strictly Personal taste)
Quote:
DJM 900 will definitely be a bit of a Serato killer thanks to Serato's dooming license with Rane. Sounds like you guys need to start going your own ways!

Yeah, That's what I think...
Schuyler 1:36 PM - 25 March, 2011
Quote:
maybe I should look into it again, but in general the feel of A&H clubmixers (which I gigged with) are not my kind of mixer. I'm not saying they're bad, but I just feel more comfortable on Pio mixers... (= strictly Personal taste)

Yeah, I can definitely see they're designed quite differently from the Pioneers...comparing between the two vids they demo'd with, I would say A&H has some extremely interesting FX, whereas Pioneer has a MUCH simpler layout (A&H has a lot of smaller buttons on the DB4, not to mention old school metal flip switches...).

No doubt though the quality of both mixers will be top-notch.

Here's A&H's vid: Watchwww.youtube.com
Schuyler 2:10 PM - 25 March, 2011
You know what? If Serato's smart, they'll at LEAST integrate the mixer with ITCH. :D
Kmxorbit 2:18 PM - 25 March, 2011
A&H seems te be a cool mixer. (but also big)
And now everyone is focussing on FX, I hope we will not get into a DJ era where every song/mix will be overFX'd by the DJ all the time...
Ok, Some people think FX are great in a set but a lot of people think it's wack...

Anyway On Topic: That built in Traktor certified sound card in the PIO mixer is a threat for Serato, if you ask me.
Schuyler 2:25 PM - 25 March, 2011
Oh rocking a party will still be as simple as lining up two songs and making them work. Tried and true method.

But yes on topic: I would say yes it's a very big threat..let's not forget that Traktor certified doesn't mean the DJM 900 is even exclusively licensed to Traktor! There's also VDJ, Mixx, Torq...all programs that can utilize the built in soundcard.

Can Serato utilize this soundcard? Nope. Rane's hardware is becoming less and less desirable since all of these "all-in-one" mixers are coming out.

So I wouldn't say that the DJM 900 is killing Serato...moreso it's killing Rane. Serato still has a chance to save themselves and start focusing on ITCH...BIG TIME!
DjGeorgi 4:19 AM - 29 March, 2011
DJM 900 will definitely be a bit of a Serato killer thanks to Serato's dooming license with Rane. Sounds like you guys need to start going your own ways
kraal 4:38 AM - 29 March, 2011
am i missing something? the djm 900 will work for anyone with a serato box. right?
nik39 5:25 AM - 29 March, 2011
Quote:
right?

No.
Kmxorbit 6:07 AM - 29 March, 2011
Quote:
am i missing something? the djm 900 will work for anyone with a serato box. right?

Serato will work on it like on any other analog mixer meaning add the rane box,rewiring, etc...

Traktor Pro users will only have to plug in their laptop into the upper USB connection of the mixer and they're off... That is something that club owners really like. (and gear lazy dj's also I guess^^)
nik39 6:12 AM - 29 March, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

right?

No.

*cough* sorry, I read without a Serato box.

Kmxorbit is right.
Dj Beware 8:43 AM - 29 March, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Serato will work on it like on any other analog mixer meaning add the rane box,rewiring, etc...

Traktor Pro users will only have to plug in their laptop into the upper USB connection of the mixer and they're off... That is something that club owners really like. (and gear lazy dj's also I guess^^)

But this is not the first mixer to have this feature, aren't there are other Traktor Certified mixer available? None of them killed ScratchLIVE? Is it because its specifically a Pioneer mixer?
Kmxorbit 8:53 AM - 29 March, 2011
Quote:
But this is not the first mixer to have this feature, aren't there are other Traktor Certified mixer available? None of them killed ScratchLIVE? Is it because its specifically a Pioneer mixer?

This might be a breakthrough for Traktor in certain Area's of the world. For example, In Europe the PIO DJM 500/600/800 were always club standards. Lot's of (famous) Dj's don't even want to perform if this mixer is not used in the DJ booth.
It ain't gonna be different with the 900 imho.especially not with the improved compatibility for the CDJ2000.
So from that point of view, the DJM 900 will become a threat for serato, imho.
DjGeorgi 11:10 AM - 29 March, 2011
I just order my djm 900 nexus and 2 cdj200 , I thought to use serato video sl sl4, but if the djm 900 is not compatible with serato I will return......
appreciate someone's opinion
I1Kirm 11:57 AM - 29 March, 2011
Nobody said djm is not compatible with Serato. The thing is you can use the DJM 900 as a soundcard in Traktor (this goes for the CDJ-2000 as well) without the need of an extra soundcard like the sl4. If you already have the sl4 you can use it just fine with ANY club mixer out there. Plus with your setup you can plug the CDJs on you laptop and have native control of SSL as well
Kmxorbit 11:58 AM - 29 March, 2011
Quote:
I just order my djm 900 nexus and 2 cdj200 , I thought to use serato video sl sl4, but if the djm 900 is not compatible with serato I will return......
appreciate someone's opinion

SL4 is compatible with the DJM 900. Sl4 is compatible with every analog mixer.

Only Traktor is natively compatible with the DJM900 meaning, you dont need a break out box any more, because traktor uses the sound card of the DJM 900 (built inside).
For traktor you just need to connect the laptop directly to the Mixer via USB and it works. (same principle as Rane TTM 57SL and rane sixty eight for serato SSL)
Rebelguy 3:19 PM - 29 March, 2011
Is it a nice mixer...yes. Is it the first mixer with traktor integration...far from it. Will it be a Serato killer...probably not.

You guys need to realize that a majority of DJs are set in there ways.

Do you honestly think that the tens of thousands of Scratchlive users are instantly going to switch to Traktor just because Pioneer is releasing a new mixer? There are a lot of DJs still hanging on to vinyl even with all the DVS options out there. Looks at all the big name DJs still using CDs...no DVS.

You also have to take into consideration that the DJM-800 is still a great mixer and most clubs are not going to spend the money to take it out for a new mixer with only marginal upgrades. Yes some of the superclubs will do it just to be cool. Yes some newly built clubs may choose to install it but for most it would be easier to just have a Traktor box installed along with a Serato box.

Now that I think of it...can't the SL-4 and possibly the SL-3 be used as a traktor box? You just won't be able to do timecode with it but they should work.

Pioneer is a standard in a lot of clubs but not the only option. Look at Club XS in Vegas. They are rated as one of the top clubs in the world and they are using a Xone 92.
I1Kirm 3:37 PM - 29 March, 2011
Quote:
Look at Club XS in Vegas. They are rated as one of the top clubs in the world and they are using a Xone 92.

Actually I just checked their website...
I can see a couple of CDJs-2000, a DJM-800 an EFX-1000 but no A&H...
Rob Pointer 4:29 PM - 29 March, 2011
That's probably because it was on someone's rider. The big clubs have different mixers available as back up and service guest DJ's preferences.
Rebelguy 4:41 PM - 29 March, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Look at Club XS in Vegas. They are rated as one of the top clubs in the world and they are using a Xone 92.

It was the last time I was there. My friend Djs there weekly and he always complains about it.
Kmxorbit 9:13 PM - 29 March, 2011
Quote:
Do you honestly think that the tens of thousands of Scratchlive users are instantly going to switch to Traktor just because Pioneer is releasing a new mixer?

I never said this will be an instant process. The DJM800 is a club standard, and now the 9000 will take over in time. 4 years ago I was happy like hell with the DJM600 but still I made the switch to the DJM800 and did not regret it for a second...

Granted, Pio DJM900 is not the first one, supporting traktor, but it is an extra mixer that does it.
And what if Pioneer starts to implement this on all their mixers? (the 900 will set a standard in their product line for the other mixers...)
If that happens it might influence DJ's in their software choice... that's what i think.
djcerla 9:23 PM - 29 March, 2011
Quote:

If that happens it might influence DJ's in their software choice... that's what i think.

I think this post would fit much better SSL forum than ITCH's.

Controller-based systems are totally mixer-agnostic, so zero advantage to Traktor in this area.
Kmxorbit 9:37 PM - 29 March, 2011
you're right, but i don't read the SSL forum anymore...
Kmxorbit 9:56 PM - 29 March, 2011
Actually it belongs in this forum also. Why bying a controller if your dvs just works on a standard dj setup?
No hair on my head to leave itch. But new dj's might think twice.
kraal 9:59 PM - 29 March, 2011
a controller is different that turntable set up--- there are reasons people use controllers OTHER than they do not have turntables
DJ Cs 10:00 PM - 29 March, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

I think this post would fit much better SSL forum than ITCH's.

Controller-based systems are totally mixer-agnostic, so zero advantage to Traktor in this area.

+1

Not getting the integration into Itch. The only Itch controller it can be useful to is the V7's (??).
nik39 11:02 PM - 29 March, 2011
Quote:
Now that I think of it...can't the SL-4 and possibly the SL-3 be used as a traktor box? You just won't be able to do timecode with it but they should work.

Sure, that's possible. SL3 and SL4 support ASIO/CA.
Victor L 5:22 PM - 31 March, 2011
So I am think I am finally gonna expand and get a pioneer setup. I currently have a 57 and 2 m5gs now. Should I get a pair of CDJ900s, a DJM800, and an SL box? Or are the advances, upgrades, additions worth getting the 2,000's and DJM900 or 2000? Price difference is around $1500+ more.
Dj Beware 5:23 PM - 31 March, 2011
maybe wait until Musikmesse sounds like Pioneer will be releasing more products...
Rebelguy 5:32 PM - 31 March, 2011
When are they DJM-900s even getting back to stores. I know the recall messed everything up.
vicrep 6:03 PM - 31 March, 2011
Quote:
maybe wait until Musikmesse sounds like Pioneer will be releasing more products...

Pioneer already kinda confirmed that they would... forums.pioneerdj.com
soundbiter 11:43 PM - 31 March, 2011
Quote:

Pioneer already kinda confirmed that they would... forums.pioneerdj.com

Haha, I enjoy that very sneaky discovery on the part of the users. Interested to see what it is.
zaguama 2:26 AM - 1 April, 2011
pioneer and traktor now trying to make their users go csi on them! I will look for a disguised checkbox on the setup of the next ITCH version next to "VSL".
.:DjDECiPHA:. 4:35 PM - 25 May, 2011
Played on this last night.... sooooo dope!
Dj Ace 4:32 PM - 27 May, 2011
new efx unit
DJ DU 1:09 AM - 16 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It was the last time I was there. My friend Djs there weekly and he always complains about it.

I actually spin in Vegas also at the MGM, Planet Hollywood and Mandalay Bay. We have been using a DJM 800 for a few years now but lately most of the headliners are requesting Allen & Heath Mixers. 92's and DB4 are getting very popular especially with european types. I like the 800 and 900 for simplicity but the sound quality and filter on the Allen & Heath's are second to none. You'll find one of those brands in your super clubs. Rane you won't fine for it's poor audio quality unless you request it which I haven't seen yet. It's not that big a deal to hook up an SL3 or SL4 or Audio 6, Audio 10, and a Traktor X1 so in my opinion an integrated sound card doesn't mean much except to save 2 minutes and a couple inches of space. Now that I think about it, most software has effects and they are adding on all the time, so effects won't sell me a mixer. Go with the models you feel comfortable on and be prepared to use all models because if your an opener like me, you need to be prepared for what ever the headliner wants. I don't get a choice..LOL. PS I have a Allen Heath 92, Rane TTM 57, DJM 700 and a DJM 900 nexus at home. Off the record I use the Allen & Heath 92 and a kontrol X1 the most.
Ragman 5:04 AM - 16 August, 2011
Quote:
[...]Rane you won't fine for it's poor audio quality[...]

Are u serious ?!?!
Dj Ace 6:50 AM - 16 August, 2011
LOL @ poor sound quality...
Kmxorbit 7:59 AM - 16 August, 2011
Quote:
LOL @ poor sound quality...

I never heard the TTM 57 live compared with the others, but I would not be surprised if it was true...

Because when I compare the sound quality output of the Rane SL1 against the sound quality output of the numark Ns7/V7 and Ns6 on exactly the same machine and speakers, then the sound of the SL1 sounds very thin and aubibly less defined then the numark output. (I can't speak for the next gen SL soundcards)

DJ Du has the possibility to compare the sound quality so I believe it is an interesting remark.
Ragman 6:04 PM - 16 August, 2011
Look I know we have our own opinions and hear things differently, but Rane is a far cry from "poor audio quality". Let's not start that inaccurate rumor.
Kmxorbit 6:26 PM - 16 August, 2011
let's call it a preference difference ;-)
Dj Ace 6:31 PM - 16 August, 2011
Exactly...I have an ns7 vci, rane 68, 57, tractor pro, and an sl1...also my buddy loves pio mixers and has a dim 800 and a nexus (using cdj 2000's) and we have hooked to the same system time after time and he even agrees the sound form the 57 is super high quality...The nexus sounds nice also the 800 has a kina rougher (slightly) in the high frequencies
Dj Ace 6:32 PM - 16 August, 2011
The rane 68 sounds the best tho (expected)
djkrazyleo 4:17 AM - 31 August, 2011
i would not say poor sound quality about rane either but rane audio to me in my opinion is not as crisp and clean as any pioneer mixer in my opinion i,ve yet to hear the sixty eight but i was told it sounds very good