Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Track Mute Feature

DJ Nick Lee 4:53 AM - 23 June, 2007
It would be nice to be able to mute a part or parts of a track, and toggle the feature on and off similar to the looping function. This way you would be able to crudely "edit" dirty track for radio play or pg-13 audiences. The beauty of this is that you would never actually be altering the original track. Back in the days of cdj's and cd-r's I would make my own clean versions of tracks, but I that takes a lot of time. Additionally some tracks have intros before the first beat that make scratching it in sound "messy" in my opinion. For instance, amusment park by 50 cent has that circus intro that make scratching the first beat sound messy. This would be especially useful for acapellas because a lot of the time they only come in dirty versions, and sometimes when you want to throw an acapella verse in the preceeding adlibs and chorus make it messy sounding again.
The muting would be applied by "painting" a marker onto the waveform like we do with loops, only this would be infinate. All mutes would be active at once, and non active at once by way of a toggle switch/button. Thoughts?
AdamJay 7:39 AM - 23 June, 2007
i don't see this getting in as a feature... for a few reasons

1.) regarding editing dirty tracks, you have the "Censor" function for just that, accessible in REL and INT modes.

2.) Many mixers these days come with transform switches that due exactly the same thing. In fact, Rane makes a few such mixers.

3.) For stuff like the Amusement Park intro, you could edit the mp3 in an audio editor....

Perhaps, it could be seen in an update as an option for the Censor, like a checkbox in setup to choose Censor type... "Reverse or Mute"
DJ Nick Lee 9:35 AM - 23 June, 2007
Quote:

1.) regarding editing dirty tracks, you have the "Censor" function for just that, accessible in REL and INT modes.

I'm well aware of the censor function and have used it in the past, but I sometimes you can't get around to that button in time, or you don't remember where all the objectionable material is or your just cueing up the next track.

Quote:

2.) Many mixers these days come with transform switches that due exactly the same thing. In fact, Rane makes a few such mixers.

Looks like were not even on the same level my dude.

Quote:

3.) For stuff like the Amusement Park intro, you could edit the mp3 in an audio editor....

I actually have made a re-edit of that track, and that was a bad example because wether you start from the begining or the track, or the first downbeat its fairly easy to mix.

I think what I was really hoping for was a way to basically edit files within SSL, only to the extent of muting the audio without altering the actual media.

If anyone has caught A-Trak during a Kanye West concert than you know the effect I'm going for. He was cutting the hell out of a Syleena Johnson vocal for all falls down, and it was obvious that he was not using the 12" acapella. Now I already know I can just go and do what he did and edit it in Soundforge, but I think this could be useful as well.
nik39 1:55 PM - 23 June, 2007
I think what I was really hoping for was a way to basically edit
Quote:
files within SSL, only to the extent of muting the audio without altering the actual media.

I like the general idea of being able to edit files in SSL non-desctructively. Your idea has been suggested as "bad cuss words"-removal before. Unfortunately, I personally think, it will take a loooong time (if ever...) until we see this implemented.
DJ Nick Lee 4:12 PM - 23 June, 2007
Good lookin nik39, thanks.
nik39 4:14 PM - 23 June, 2007
No worries.

Snap, I effed up the quote.
AdamJay 11:38 PM - 23 June, 2007
Quote:

Looks like were not even on the same level my dude.

Why does it have to be like that? I wasn't trying to put you down, yet you feel the need to.

Perhaps you are right and we are not even on the same level, as i would have spelled "we're" correctly.

=P
cappinkirk 5:55 PM - 26 June, 2007
i think this is a great idea and it should be implemented. i also like the mute or reverse option. It would be extra cozy starting a set in "clean mode" and knowing that (as long as you had prepared your files) you wouldn't have to worry about it.

what is the basis for saying it will be a long time before this is implemented?

also cmon now...its a discussion board not a steel cage match
skinnyguy 8:03 PM - 26 June, 2007
you mean something like this?

bump this thread here:

scratchlive.net