DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

*** Mac Users: might want to wait on 10.4.10 system update

DJMark 6:32 AM - 21 June, 2007
A lot of discussion on the Apple tech forums about what seems like a pretty annoying audio bug introduced with this new system update:

discussions.apple.com

It also seems established that 10.4.10 does *not* fix the Macbook/Macbook Pro dropouts when SSL is on certain USB ports and the trackpad is used.
dj disturbed 7:06 AM - 21 June, 2007
i updated and i have had no issues YET....
DJMark 7:23 AM - 21 June, 2007
It looks like most, if not all, the people reporting the problem are on Intel-based Macs.

Still, it seems like a fairly serious bug to have made it to a release...my semi-educated guess is that most of the current QA resources at Apple right now are being devoted to Leopard, so maybe this 10.4.10 version didn't get quite enough attention.
AdamJay 7:46 AM - 21 June, 2007
...still on 10.4.8 here...

and i ain't movin.

:D
Chita79 4:53 PM - 21 June, 2007
i just updated to 10.4.10 with my SSL 1.7.1 & TTM57SL... and now when i turn off the mixer's power while SSL is running, it still thinks its on (top portion is still there in SSL). It never did that with previous versions :( its not a big deal, but still kind of annoying. Anyone else seeing this issue?
BriChi 5:33 PM - 21 June, 2007
yup, i noticed that with my SL1 last night
DJMark 7:58 PM - 21 June, 2007
This doesn't look good (thread from the Mackie forums, related to an apparent new problem with Firewire on Intel Macs):

forums.mackie.com

The Apple Support Discussions seem to be much more full of problem reports than is typical for this kind of update. Definitely waiting this one out.
nik39 8:05 PM - 21 June, 2007
Oh shit :-/
cappinkirk 8:28 PM - 21 June, 2007
thanks for the heads up! not that the problem is that major but its nice to have the notice (i will be waiting to apply the update)

nice opportunity for windows users to burn us macfaces - they can uninstall individual service packs and updates.
DJMark 8:39 PM - 21 June, 2007
Quote:
nice opportunity for windows users to burn us macfaces - they can uninstall individual service packs and updates.

If you have a second drive and SuperDuper!, it's really easy to accomplish the same thing. That's also a better solution, because you're backing up your startup drive's data....something *everyone* ought to be doing anyway.
cappinkirk 8:43 PM - 21 June, 2007
ehhhh third party apps suck it should be built in
cappinkirk 8:43 PM - 21 June, 2007
but DJMark its good that you do that

i didn't mean to be rude or anything
DJMark 8:52 PM - 21 June, 2007
Quote:
ehhhh third party apps suck it should be built in

Apparently Apple agrees with you: www.apple.com

Until then, SuperDuper! is an excellent and very inexpensive solution, one that I use all the time.
Boogie Down Martin 9:00 PM - 21 June, 2007
To me it looks like Apple is too busy with the iPhone and Leopard to take care of their other products.

Most of their hardware is overdue for upgrades and instead of fixing bugs they introduce new ones.
cappinkirk 9:09 PM - 21 June, 2007
I apologize - i didn't mean to initiate apple bashing Boogie Down Martin. I was using it to make a constructive analogy to Windows, not trash talk anybody.
Serato
James 12:28 AM - 22 June, 2007
Thanks for the heads up about the Chita79. I can confirm that with 10.4.10 Scratch LIVE no longer notices when you disconnect your hardware while Scratch LIVE is running.

Apple seems to have decided to change the way things work with that last update. Even their example code in the developer documentation is now incorrect.

We will however have a fix for this out in the next release.
Djbran 12:55 AM - 22 June, 2007
Quote:
...still on 10.4.8 here...

and i ain't movin.

:D

Same here. And also with my itunes I think its at 1.71 somethin like that
nik39 12:58 AM - 22 June, 2007
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up about the Chita79. I can confirm that with 10.4.10 Scratch LIVE no longer notices when you disconnect your hardware while Scratch LIVE is running.

Apple seems to have decided to change the way things work with that last update. Even their example code in the developer documentation is now incorrect.

Can this be made sticky somewhere? Advise not to upgrade.
a-swift 4:04 PM - 22 June, 2007
this should be sticky. i barely found this thread. this is no joke and mac users should know about this.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 4:13 PM - 22 June, 2007
How about compulsory? ;)
Chita79 4:33 PM - 22 June, 2007
Thanks James! Now if i can only roll back my update :( (at least SSL works fine once you're in it) I haven't noticed any issues while playing out with it (yet!)
a-swift 7:41 PM - 22 June, 2007
Quote:
How about compulsory? ;)

if we're gonna start using big words around here .... :-)
CMOS 8:24 PM - 22 June, 2007
Dude just get a Dell.

Sorry couldnt resist. :)
Javier drada 11:48 PM - 22 June, 2007
So what do the rest of us do now? I have 300 new tracks to add to my library and I can't build any overviews. Fucking piece of shit update.

Quote:

dj disturbed 11:55 PM - 22 June, 2007
you can build your overviews.. just start SSL without your box connected and it will show that its not connected.... its only whenyou disconnect the box after SSL is already running
Javier drada 12:00 AM - 23 June, 2007
I am doing that but it's re-doing all 5,000 of my files not just the 300 tracks I just added. That will run for 2 days...

Quote:
you can build your overviews.. just start SSL without your box connected and it will show that its not connected.... its only whenyou disconnect the box after SSL is already running
nik39 12:04 AM - 23 June, 2007
Quote:
I am doing that but it's re-doing all 5,000 of my files not just the 300 tracks I just added. That will run for 2 days...

This does not sound like an issue due to OSX 10.4.10. Click rescan ID3 tags on the setup screen.
Javier drada 12:08 AM - 23 June, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

This does not sound like an issue due to OSX 10.4.10. Click rescan ID3 tags on the setup screen.

What i know from experience is Start Serato with your interface connected. Import your new tracks, unplug the interface and build overviews. If you do it without starting Serato with the interface connected first it will rescan the whole library. Which is what it is doing now. Not only that the last time I did that it messed everything up and I had to start over following the original steps and rescan everything again.
nik39 12:16 AM - 23 June, 2007
That is not in line with my experience.
dj disturbed 12:17 AM - 23 June, 2007
no it wont... never happends like that to me

sounds like you have other issues
DJUltimate 4:58 PM - 23 June, 2007
poop, I already upgraded
prizo 6:05 PM - 23 June, 2007
reinstalled operating system last night to factory settings due to some other issues. Thank u so much for posting this info, this really saves me some time
G-man NYC 12:29 AM - 24 June, 2007
I check this forum quite a bit but just caught this thread right before almost updating.

Mods, is there any way you guys can send out e-mail alerts when something like this is discovered so we don't have to find out through checking here?
Dj Ace 1:04 AM - 24 June, 2007
Awww shit...too late
Dj Ace 1:04 AM - 24 June, 2007
when i shut it down... i get the spinning ball of death...
dj disturbed 8:05 AM - 24 June, 2007
ok well i figured something out.. ifyou start SSL with your box disconnected... then connect it.. its works like normal when you re-disconnect it and it goes to the build overview view. this worked for me tonight.... I'm on a g4 powerbook.... someone with an intel mac check to see if it might just be an issue with those... might be something thy were trying to get rid of the drop outs on the macbook
.Hz 7:09 PM - 24 June, 2007
Weird weird wierd, when I was using SSL on my mac (Windows for now), I never had ANY problems at all, the update was completely transparent in terms of SSL running. It ran completely normal and fine.

Dual G5 - 1GB RAM - WD SATA HD - Radeon 6550.

Peace
nik39 1:02 PM - 25 June, 2007
Is there a known problem with Powerbooks and 10.4.10 and SSL? A friend reports that as soons as he connects his SSL a message pops up that the computer has to be shut down bla bla.

Is there a way how to upgrade from 10.2 to 10.4.9 and NOT 10.4.10?
DJUltimate 1:07 PM - 25 June, 2007
I wish there was an easy way to go back.
nik39 2:05 PM - 25 June, 2007
Quote:
Is there a known problem with Powerbooks and 10.4.10 and SSL? A friend reports that as soons as he connects his SSL a message pops up that the computer has to be shut down bla bla.

Good news for my friend, with 10.4.2 it works fine.

This may mean worse news for everyone else who owns a Powerbook and upgrades to 10.4.10.
FDW 2:14 PM - 25 June, 2007
Quote:
Is there a way how to upgrade from 10.2 to 10.4.9 and NOT 10.4.10?

Take an "old" DVD with Mac OS 10.4... and install the OS! Heise/c't made a programm to offline-update your Mac! It downloads all updates you need/want, and than you can transfer them to the Mac you wish to update! I think you simply can exclude the update to 10.4.10 ;)

www.heise.de
nik39 2:29 PM - 25 June, 2007
Cool, I was aware of that app but didn't know you could exclude certain versions/updates.

However, the question was more like whether there was an official supported option to downgrade or to upgrade only to a certain version/build.
FDW 3:05 PM - 25 June, 2007
Apple has also "Combo Updates". I think they include all fixes and updates from 10.4.0 to the version you downloaded!

www.apple.com (10.4.9 Intel)
www.apple.com (10.4.9 PPC)
nik39 3:16 PM - 25 June, 2007
Nice, thats exactly what I was looking for :) Thanks!
Jordabella 9:41 PM - 25 June, 2007
FDW....
Are you saying that all we would have to do is download 10.9.9PPC combo update and it will overide 10.4.10..or do we have to do an archive install, go back to 10.4.8 and then upgrade.

thanks for you help
DJMark 12:15 AM - 26 June, 2007
Quote:
Are you saying that all we would have to do is download 10.9.9PPC combo update and it will overide 10.4.10..or do we have to do an archive install, go back to 10.4.8 and then upgrade.

You would have to re-install the OS (archive and install or however you want to do it), than apply the 10.4.9 combo update. Then run Software Update and get the security updates, Quicktime Updates etc. but of course not the 10.4.10 update.
Jordabella 12:39 AM - 26 June, 2007
Hey guys...
I just wanted to chime in again to let you know that once I got home and fired eveything up..no problems, I am using a powerbook G4 1.5ghz and using the TTM57. When I installed the update last week, I used the 10.4.10 Combo PPC. I am not sure if that made a difference or not. I opened & closed, plugged & unplugged Serato for about an hour..no problems so far...I am keeping my tonearms crossed...

dj marquis
Dj Ace 2:06 AM - 26 June, 2007
Same here with the powerbook 1.67. But i definitely have problems with the my macbook 2.16.. :(
dj disturbed 8:03 AM - 26 June, 2007
well.. my SSL is not having issues on my powerbook... but my Ex HDD does not get recognised correctly on the computer some of the times i plug it in... only started happening after the update... works fine on my non-updated g5 tower... thats running on firewire 800
DJMark 12:45 PM - 26 June, 2007
Good article here about doing a clean reinstall of Mac OS X. Even if you're an experienced user, this article might be useful as a refresher:

www.macfixit.com

The current front page of that site includes an article about changing Kernel Extensions to fix the audio pops introduced on some machines by the 10.4.10 update. Mixing Kernel Extensions from earlier OS versions seems like an extremely bad idea for anyone depending on their machine to work correctly (much risk of introducing other problems since the configuration probably wasn't tested)...and the user comments on the article's dedicated page seem to indicate that "fix" doesn't actually work.

I mention that so anyone looking at the Macfixit home page is properly warned away from playing around with their Kernel Extensions.
DJUltimate 2:35 PM - 26 June, 2007
******** INFO *************
If your Mac is still under warranty, you can make an appointment with the Genius Bar at your nearest Apple Store [www.apple.com] and they will reinstall your OS at no charge.
FDW 3:36 PM - 26 June, 2007
Quote:
FDW....

thanks for you help

No. I think its not that easy to downgrade.
It was only a hint for Nik, because he has a Mac with OS X 10.2...
sixxx 5:26 PM - 26 June, 2007
Quote:
If your Mac is still under warranty, you can make an appointment with the Genius Bar at your nearest Apple Store [www.apple.com] and they will reinstall your OS at no charge.

Do they sell drinks at the Genius Bar? Just wondering.
skoolboy 5:35 PM - 26 June, 2007
no problems here with Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz running OS X 10.4.10 and ScratchLIVE 1.7.2
peruvian 8:14 PM - 26 June, 2007
Just out of curiosity, how long till this issue gets resolved on the serato side of things?
Chulindo 8:31 AM - 27 June, 2007
Wow This 2 Late
scratchlive.net
Chulindo 8:32 AM - 27 June, 2007
Is
mArtian! 2:30 AM - 28 June, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Do they sell drinks at the Genius Bar? Just wondering.

Might need to bring along ur appleID for drinks ;)
DjMichaelangel 2:37 PM - 28 June, 2007
Will Serato fix this problem with an update before releasing 1.8? We really need this fixed, It sucks having to restart SSL everytime to build overviews and then mix! hummmm?
KaGeN 5:45 PM - 28 June, 2007
^^ huh? ^^
Serato
James 10:42 PM - 28 June, 2007
Quote:
Will Serato fix this problem with an update before releasing 1.8? We really need this fixed, It sucks having to restart SSL everytime to build overviews and then mix! hummmm?
Yes as I said before we will be releasing a fix in the near future.

We have also filed a bug report with apple so hopefully they will also fix the source of the problem so previous Scratch LIVE versions will work correctly again.
nik39 11:21 PM - 28 June, 2007
Quote:
We have also filed a bug report with apple so hopefully they will also fix the source of the problem so previous Scratch LIVE versions will work correctly again.

Uhm... yes, like they did with the USB dropout thing on the macbook pros ;))
Audio1 11:31 PM - 28 June, 2007
this only affects macbooks/macbook pros or also other apple laptops?
Marcelinho CIC 6:21 AM - 29 June, 2007
All Apple users my friends....... :(
Everybody that did the update.

sniff.....snifff
dj disturbed 7:28 AM - 29 June, 2007
Quote:

sniff.....snifff

NOT every one..... my SSL runs just like normal after the 10.4.10 update... I can unplug the SL1 box and it works just like it always has.... I have not had the snap, crackle, pop issues (but thats has been said to only effect intel macs.. and im on a powerbook)... the only thing i have seen happen is my Ext HDD does not seem to be recognizes right some of the times i plug it in now (works fine on my g5 that has not been updated) but a quick restart of the computer and it works fine.
hard2def 2:15 PM - 29 June, 2007
Well
I just updated this night to 10.4.10 ... :-/

My question is, can I still work with it or does the running program also make any unwelcomed things during the mix session...
As long as I can play with it, the problem with unplugging the box is something I can live with for a couple of days...
hard2def 3:37 PM - 29 June, 2007
Ok, I just played for over an hour or so... No USB Drops, no sound problems, everything worked fine... But than I tried the described problem with unplugging the box while the software was runnin... as mentioned by others before, the program does not recognize the unplug process and still shows the turntable emus... I tried to just plug in the box again, but now the software does not recognize anything at all... plus it did not let u close the application... (Exit and I'm waitin for 3 min now...) Tried to restart the system, but it keeps hangin... After almost 4 minutes OS X killed the application itself to restart the system...
Well if I unplug the box while I am in Serato the program freezes during the try to exit, but if I first exit the program and unplug the box after that, everything works fine... Plugging in during the app is runnin is also no problem...

So for all of you, who need to work with that system of yours this weekend, don't pull the plug of the box while you're in the Application... First close it and then unplug your box... Like I said, so far I had no problems with playing for over an hour...

My machine is a 2 GHz Intel-Based Macbook2,1

I tryin my luck tonight, let's see what happens...
Audio1 4:26 PM - 29 June, 2007
^^ good idea. I havent noticed anything strange. Im on a iBook G4 and so far I havent noticed any issues. Ill do further testing today.
DjCarzz 8:15 PM - 29 June, 2007
ok before you go and insult me for being stupid i swear this is the truth....

for some reason i experience no usb drop outs on the usb port on the left side of my mac, however, the right side is a different story

is my mind playing tricks on me?
hard2def 8:39 PM - 29 June, 2007
one of the ports is also connected to the mousepad and the keyboard... it's always this one, which makes dropouts... the other one is ok...
lumo 9:59 PM - 29 June, 2007
Quote:

The colour wheel of death!

shitter!
appleseed 10:14 AM - 30 June, 2007
just got back from my gig ... 5 hour session with the update and no problems. besides the issue of the interface disconnection, there wasn't much to worry about.
Mike Swing 2:14 PM - 30 June, 2007
I always disconnect the Serato Box after I exit the application anyways so hopefully I won't experience anything new or weird. I thought you were supposed to do that anyways.
Fishr Pryce 5:33 PM - 30 June, 2007
This might be a silly question, but Why would u unplug your device with SSL still running?
DJ Prinvale` 5:43 PM - 30 June, 2007
Quote:
This might be a silly question, but Why would u unplug your device with SSL still running?

build overviews
DD 5:54 PM - 30 June, 2007
Quote:

sniff.....snifff

NO problems here with my Powerbook G4 1.67GHZ running OS X 10.4.10 and ScratchLIVE 1.7.2
Fishr Pryce 6:56 PM - 30 June, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

build overviews

aaah I guess I didn't get it because I usually build overviews when my SSL isn't connected.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 4:07 AM - 1 July, 2007
New software update for CERTAIN MODELS of the MacBookPro:

What’s New in this Version
- This update provides important bug fixes and is recommended for all 2.2/2.4GHz MacBook Pro models.

www.apple.com

Not sure if it will help, check the Apple support forums or use at your own risk.
DJ Prinvale` 9:59 AM - 1 July, 2007
Rane, if you could test out that new update Payne posts and see if it's good enough to install that would be great :)

I don't want to install if it's going to still be buggy for Serato.
dj disturbed 6:41 PM - 1 July, 2007
from what i understand... the update deals with the video card
dj disturbed 6:42 PM - 1 July, 2007
i posted it up the other day in the forum
queso 7:26 PM - 1 July, 2007
on my black core duo 1 macbook, i haven't disconnected the box with the app running, but i'm getting massive dropout/feedback loop every ten minutes and have to restart the program, please help, i gig twice this week!
hard2def 8:31 PM - 1 July, 2007
ok, I'm back and the app is runnin fine.... I had a 5 hour show and had no problems at all... like i said above, I always disconnected the box after closing the app... so everything was ok...

hmm...
@ queso, which port do u use...
DJUltimate 8:51 PM - 1 July, 2007
Quote:
it did not let u close the application... (Exit and I'm waitin for 3 min now...) Tried to restart the system, but it keeps hangin... After almost 4 minutes OS X killed the application itself to restart the system...

If this ever happens to you again, with ANY program, just end the process in the task manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del)
dj disturbed 8:55 PM - 1 July, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
it did not let u close the application... (Exit and I'm waitin for 3 min now...) Tried to restart the system, but it keeps hangin... After almost 4 minutes OS X killed the application itself to restart the system...

If this ever happens to you again, with ANY program, just end the process in the task manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del)

thats the PC command.. on mac hit apple, option, esc
DJUltimate 9:02 PM - 1 July, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yup, that will open the Force Quit screen.

In my defense I gave the PC command cuz I saw he was using a PC ;)
dj disturbed 9:07 PM - 1 July, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

realy? thats why he said

Quote:
After almost 4 minutes OS X killed the application itself to restart the system...
DJUltimate 9:12 PM - 1 July, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

realy? thats why he said

Quote:
After almost 4 minutes OS X killed the application itself to restart the system...

Good catch... BUT click here -->scratchlive.net

It's all his fault! Damn you hard2def!!! j/k ;)
Jace_one 11:11 PM - 1 July, 2007
O.k, so i've been reading as many posts as i can on the USB issue and i still have questions (as it seems everyone else does too). It's obvious that the trackpad problem can be solved, but the unplugging and plugging problem is still around.

I discovered this while playing out yesterday and another Serato owner came through to play. When he got up to plug in his dell to the box his comp recognized it with no problem. When I got back up, however, mine didn't. I had to shut down serato and reopen it (with the force quit). Of course the next time the other DJ got up, without shutting down Serato, it went smooth. If anyone tags with another DJ using Serato it should be as easy as plugging and unplugging (as it is with Intel based comps).

One thing I noticed today was that my comp sees the plugging and unplugging of Serato; i watched this in the usb device tree window. However Serato doesn't recognize it: Is that a problem with Serato? It looks as though there is a communication discrepency with the usb device and Serato.

This problem needs to be solved in order that DJ's can tag during performances (given that one has a mac and the other doesn't. Gee, that would suck if both had macs).
DJMark 11:41 PM - 1 July, 2007
If you rely on your computer for "professional" use, you really ought to be either waiting to hear comments about new operating-system updates, or using a tool like SuperDuper! to first make a backup of your boot drive (something you ought to be doing anyway!) so if needed you can easily get back to the previous version.

Serato has already said they're working on the USB issue, though it's affecting a lot of other things besides Serato. Users of certain printers are reporting they can't print any more after applying 10.4.10, for example.

As I posted elsewhere, the USB thing might not seem like a huge deal if you're a single DJ playing the whole night...but consider what would happen if the cable *accidentally* came unplugged mid-set.

I would advise anyone who jumped on 10.4.10 to do an archive-and-install of 10.4.whatever, then use the combo updater for 10.4.9. It seems clear that 10.4.10 is a "bad" update, and from what I've read Apple knows it and is scrambling to do another revision.
nobspangle 8:46 AM - 2 July, 2007
If I had a Mac I wouldn't use a tool that calls itself SuperDuper just on the principle of it being a stupid name.
DJMark 10:36 AM - 2 July, 2007
Quote:
If I had a Mac I wouldn't use a tool that calls itself SuperDuper just on the principle of it being a stupid name.

I agree it's a really bad choice of name...but the software itself is exceptional.
MIXX 2:51 PM - 2 July, 2007
Does anyone know how i can go back to the old version of os x it freeze's my serato , it did that
to me in the middle of a gig
Jace_one 4:45 PM - 2 July, 2007
Thanks DJMark, I didn't know about the printer issues. It must be the update then. I read your other posts prior to posting mine. I just didn't understand how to go back to the older versions of the OS. I'll see about the SuperDuper program. Thanks for the heads up.

When I bought Serato I said it was the best thing I've ever bought besides my technic's 10 years ago. When this problem gets solved I'll start saying it again. I can't wait.

Jace-One
mgerrard10 5:25 PM - 2 July, 2007
I am using a Powerbook G4 1.67GHZ running OS X 10.4.10 and ScratchLIVE 1.7.2. Up to a few days ago everything was fine with these updates until I started noticing something strange from the left channel. Every once in awhile my left monitor speaker would sound like it was blown. This would last for a few seconds and then go away. Not thinking this would have anything to do with Serato I changed the speaker and then changed the amp and still got the same result. Then last night I was playing out at a party and had huge problems with the left deck in Serato. It would take songs that I have been playing with no problems and make them sound terrible. Lots of static and general noise. I had to quickly mix into vinyl (I always bring some with me) and then restart the computer. I tried playing with it again and not soon after the problem started up. Sometimes the song would only "go bad" for a few seconds and sometimes it went on a lot longer. Sad to say this leaves not being able to use Serato. I will try to find my system disks and go back to Mac 10.4 but hopefully either Apple or Serato comes up with a solution soon. I have always had good support from Serato so I am confident you are working on it. I just find it a little strange that on one here is describing the same issues I have been experiencing.

Cheers,

Marc
mgerrard10 9:37 PM - 2 July, 2007
So after much troubleshooting I have come up with a quick solution that should help everyone that is experiencing this problem.

Go to the below website and download the program Pacifist:

www.versiontracker.com

Go to this website and download the combo update for either 10.4.8 or 10.4.9: (I went back to 10.4.8 just to be sure)

www.apple.com

Double click the download to expand it and then load it onto Pacifict. Then clicking the 10.4.X program file click the install button in Pacifist. Let the program run it's course and once done restart the computer. After restart go to About This Mac from the Finder bar and you should be on the version you picked.

From my side of things this worked the charm and I am back to nice clear sound from Serato. Also of note the website: www.macfixit.com is a great place to check after an operating system update to see if people are having problems. I have learned my lesson and will be a bit less trigger happy when an update comes out.

Cheers,

Marc
dj disturbed 9:39 PM - 2 July, 2007
the just put out an update for the intell powermac to fix the snap,crackle, pop audio issues

www.versiontracker.com
Jordabella 4:42 AM - 3 July, 2007
mgerrard10,
When you say.... Double click the download to expand it and then load it onto Pacifict. Then clicking the 10.4.X program file click the install button in Pacifist.

Can you explain alittle more. A bit confused on how to do it...

Thanks
mgerrard10 5:45 AM - 3 July, 2007
Hopefully this makes things a little more clear:

Once you have downloaded the earlier version of 10.4.X it is a .dmg file on your desktop. Double click this and load the .pkg file into Pacifist. It is then this file that you install through Pacifist to downgrade your computer. Once the install is done perform a restart and you are good to go.

Cheers,
Marc
Jordabella 11:02 AM - 3 July, 2007
Thanks for the clear up. I was confused when you load the .pkg file into Pacifist.

Thanks Again
cappinkirk 1:38 PM - 3 July, 2007
is the new "audio update" available today any help for this issue?
cappinkirk 1:38 PM - 3 July, 2007
in the apple system updates that is...
Coro 2:51 PM - 3 July, 2007
Apple just fixed the bug....
DJUltimate 2:56 PM - 3 July, 2007
Quote:
Apple just fixed the bug....

Proof?
Coro 3:21 PM - 3 July, 2007
Haven't downloaded it yet? But it listed on their site as

Mac OS X 10.4.10 Update v1.1

The update provides:

- RAW camera support
- Mounting and unmounting external USB devices
- Support for 3rd party software applications
- Security updates
cappinkirk 3:29 PM - 3 July, 2007
you scared
cappinkirk 3:29 PM - 3 July, 2007
is it better to leave 10.4.9?

or to upgrade with the new update?
Audio1 4:28 PM - 3 July, 2007
Any iBook G4 users experiencing issues?
DJ Reaction 4:35 PM - 3 July, 2007
I got the update yesterday about 10.4.10 saying that apple fixed the bug! not like it was REALLY a huge issue, but yea they claim to have fixed it!
Coro 6:19 PM - 3 July, 2007
Not scared, just at work and my mac is at home.... Will do it tonight
mgerrard10 7:55 PM - 3 July, 2007
Looks like the fix is for Intel based Apples and not for us people with an older Mac.
Monty0124 11:11 PM - 3 July, 2007
My macbook just auto updated a patch for an "audio issue" in 10.4.10.... hope it works.
Deejay Z 12:28 AM - 4 July, 2007
any final proof??? Is it fixed for the intel macs??? Also ne word on a 7.3.1 update for iTunes since the -50 error fucks everything up??
DJ_PHAZE 1:03 AM - 4 July, 2007
Had no issues. Updated the day before this thread came out. No issues at all on my macbook G4 intel based with 2 gig Duocore.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:17 AM - 4 July, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

I agree it's a really bad choice of name...but the software itself is exceptional.

LOL....

And I guess Norton Ghost is a more logical name?

Super Duper = Super Duplicator as in clone or make a copy of the Drive.

As Mark said VERY useful App...
Jace_one 2:25 AM - 4 July, 2007
did the update but it didn't fix the unplugging/plugging ordeal. I guess it's plan B.
Jose 2 Hype 2:41 AM - 4 July, 2007
Question for RANE and/or SERATO........ Any idea when the update to fix this issue will be coming out???
DJUltimate 2:58 AM - 4 July, 2007
You can rest assured that as soon as they know, they will let us know.
nobspangle 7:22 AM - 4 July, 2007
Quote:
And I guess Norton Ghost is a more logical name?

Super Duper = Super Duplicator as in clone or make a copy of the Drive.

I see now it's a pun, very clever. Unfortunately it sounds like the programmers have just stepped out of 1950s England.
Flat 100 DJ's 2:12 AM - 5 July, 2007
One thing I've learned the hard way: always bring at least one CD wallet with you.

I started laptop DJ'ing with a Dell a number of years ago and then switched to Mac, because of it's system stability. I've suffered PC freezings, violent restarts, viruses and all the bad things we've all suffered with PC's. Now it seems that problems with Macs are starting to get a bit annoying too.

Maybe we are asking for too much. First we left the vynils for cd's, then the cd's became a burden and we wanted to carry only a laptop and a small box. C'mon guys!!! Let the geeks (please don't be offended) do their work with this issue and in the mean time, bring your Mac, your SL and a CD wallet, just in case.
DJ Reaction 8:33 AM - 5 July, 2007
Quote:
First we left the vynils for cd's

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight
Jace_one 4:57 PM - 5 July, 2007
I never left vinyl until two weeks ago for SSL. But to each his own. Once Macintosh got so big, just like any company, if they don't prepare for the world demand and keep up with it, then the consumers will suffer. At least this issue isn't as bad as an entire windows based system crashing left and right. I just can't unplug my laptop with SSL running, no tag teamin with SSL, yet.
Flat 100 DJ's 6:05 PM - 5 July, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
First we left the vynils for cd's

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

It's true... I haven't left vynil completely. I buy from Uptown Records in London and it costs a fortune, not to mention shipping expenses. There's something about real vynil, isn't it???
Serato
James 11:12 PM - 5 July, 2007
OK guys, if you are affected by the Mac OS X 10.4.10 update, you might want to try the new 1.7.3 public beta
Jim 2:52 AM - 6 July, 2007
ok not to change subjet but i did the super drive update (not 10.4.10) and now a screen pops up saying theres no drive to update and my external hard drive wont work and im at a gig
thx 2:59 PM - 6 July, 2007
Hi there...

I've just download an audio update for my macbook pro using the "software update" of the apple menu, appear because I made the 10.4.10 update.

Is someone knows if all bugs are fixed with SSL ?

Thanx
Audio1 3:17 PM - 6 July, 2007
I am glad to report that even after my iBook G4 auto-updated to 10.4.10, I played a 5 hour set last night on a radio show and there was no glitches with audio or anything. I was able to plug/unplug the SL1 and SSL recognized this. I heard it affected all Mac systems. Just let yall know, Its working good.
a-swift 5:26 PM - 6 July, 2007
i just wanted to say that GENIUS BAR is the most stupid name ever
KaGeN 5:28 PM - 6 July, 2007
should have been 'iGenius Bar', huh.
DJ Evil One 6:20 PM - 6 July, 2007
i had to updgrade in order to activate my iPhone.
peruvian 6:43 PM - 6 July, 2007
so far so good with the 1.7.3 beta update...
DJ MA$K 2:20 PM - 7 July, 2007
I have got Macbook Black and did the update on wed 4th and after restarting, got 'kernal panic' error messages. I could not launch OSX at all and after some research on apples' support forum, decided to do an archive install. With no desktop I launched from the DVD by holding down 'c' on start up. Install took about an hour, but then restarted and everything was pretty much as I left it. phew!!!

Wish I had stopped by these pages before hand...
Maestro Raheem 9:58 PM - 9 July, 2007
How do I get 1.7.2 Beta update? also haveing problems with 10.4.10..my green rings dont show up in setup but system still works.
Serato, Support
Matt G 5:19 AM - 10 July, 2007
Quote:
How do I get 1.7.2 Beta update? also haveing problems with 10.4.10..my green rings dont show up in setup but system still works.

www.scratchlive.net
DJ Luminous 9:03 AM - 10 July, 2007
I tried the 1.7.3. Beta of Serato. Still having the same issues with very short dropouts when i touch the track pad. i think I am just going to downgrade. to bad they didn't put that time machine feature in this version of OSX. That would be helpful.
DJUltimate 1:58 PM - 10 July, 2007
Quote:
I tried the 1.7.3. Beta of Serato. Still having the same issues with very short dropouts when i touch the track pad. i think I am just going to downgrade. to bad they didn't put that time machine feature in this version of OSX. That would be helpful.

This is a known issue with all Intel Macs. It's not 1.7.3 beta
DJ-A 2:09 PM - 10 July, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

The colour wheel of death!

shitter!

i saw a spoof on a mac commercial, they called it the "Gay pinwheel of fun"
tig ol' bitties 2:11 PM - 10 July, 2007
if you have upgraded, is there a way of going back to a previous version?

I think mine auto updated for some odd ball reason and i have recently been getting hella dropouts, like never before...
DJ Luminous 2:57 PM - 10 July, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Oh, sorry i thought 1.7.3 was supposed to fix it.
DJUltimate 3:00 PM - 10 July, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

1.7.3 fixes the issue that came up with the OS X 10.4.10 update
tig ol' bitties 3:59 PM - 10 July, 2007
sweet. do that tonight.
DJ Jean Verano 4:34 PM - 10 July, 2007
used 1.7.3 3 night without probs!
updated to OS X 10.4.10 yesterday ... tested 1.7.3 at home...
what should I say? no probs so far!!!
KaGeN 4:37 PM - 10 July, 2007
Quote:
i saw a spoof on a mac commercial, they called it the "Gay pinwheel of fun"

that's funny...
DJ-A 4:47 PM - 10 July, 2007
^^ i'll try to find it when i go home today, i'll post a link... its comparing it the Dell XPS (i think)
DJ Luminous 8:57 PM - 10 July, 2007
that pacifist app just made things alot worse... I had to do a complete restore (erased everything) good thing i just got it and didn't delete originals i guess. sucks nonetheless. had a friend tell me that program messed his macbook pro up.
Maestro Raheem 9:06 PM - 10 July, 2007
I thought I was having problems with my scratch live & 10.4.10, but after changing my scope view I realized my green rings were just too big to see. I played for a few hours last night and had no problems with 10.4.10 & Scratch Live. Maybe it's just on some older models of apple. Could be memory size or processor speed. I have a Newer MacPro 15" with 2GB of memory. Plus I only use my apple for Serato and Serato only. No net surfing, downloading or anything other than Scratch Live.
mgerrard10 10:37 PM - 10 July, 2007
I have used the Pacifist app on 4 computers so far and no one has had a problem. I used it both on Powerbooks and Intel based Mac's. I also got the app from the MacFixIt site which is usually pretty good. Anyway with this sort of stuff it is always user beware but I am still surprised to hear you had problems.
dema 10:04 PM - 11 July, 2007
So does anyone know if this issue is fixed yet using 1.7.3 as i just updated my ibook g4 133ghz to 10.4.10 as for the first time yesterday my tracker pad wasnt working during using serato? I thought I would check here for an update and saw this!

shit.

D.
DJUltimate 10:39 PM - 11 July, 2007
Quote:
So does anyone know if this issue is fixed yet using 1.7.3 as i just updated my ibook g4 133ghz to 10.4.10 as for the first time yesterday my tracker pad wasnt working during using serato? I thought I would check here for an update and saw this!

shit.

D.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

dema 10:50 PM - 11 July, 2007
Hi sorry to be a pain, but is this an issue for just intel macs? or g4/g5 macs. and if so is the update only for intel macs or older macs?

cheers again.

D.
DJUltimate 11:33 PM - 11 July, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

shit.

D.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

DJUltimate 11:35 PM - 11 July, 2007
IF YOU DOWNLOADED THE OS X 10.4.10 UPDATE AND YOU ARE EXPERIENCING ISSUES, YOU MUST EITHER USE THE 1.7.3 BETA OR ROLL BACK TO OS X 10.4.9 OR EARLIER.
DJUltimate 11:35 PM - 11 July, 2007
Maybe that will help. OR, just read the thread! =o)
dema 11:46 PM - 11 July, 2007
cheers, I did read all the thread but with all the talk of rollbacks and intel macs I wasnt sure if the 1.7.3 was justt a fix for the intel macs as every other fix by apple appears to be for that type of mac. I also just notices that the quicktime update I did tonight (i know this has nothing to do with serato) has basically stopped my quicktime from working. I just get the logo with a question mark through it on myspace and online video's and stuff, so all in all I'm not very happy with apple's latest set of updates...

peas,

D.
cappinkirk 11:46 PM - 11 July, 2007
i just downloaded the 10.4.10 update and my serato isn't working right, anyone else have this issue?
cappinkirk 11:50 PM - 11 July, 2007
just teasing by the way

maybe this will make people realize that if apple changes itunes and it isn't incompatible with SSL (and they apply that upgrade) that maybe they shouldn't use itunes. there is no guarantee that they won't.

of course, i have no preference what anyone else does but just a thought.
DJ A-NAK 1:40 AM - 12 July, 2007
how do you go back to 10.4.9?? how do you just reverse it??
DJMark 1:45 AM - 12 July, 2007
Quote:
how do you go back to 10.4.9?? how do you just reverse it??

I answered that question earlier in the thread.
DJ-GQ 3:24 AM - 12 July, 2007
there's a sain if it's not broke don't try to fix it...

let everyone else do the upgrades... then wait to see if there is problems.....

test dummies...... ye ya..... test dummies.....
Robert Tompkins 1:55 PM - 12 July, 2007
Hey Guys- My computer guy always advises me not to use OS updates when first released for my Mac or PC- They obviously can never totally test new updates with other people's software, I don't want be their beta tester......LOL
I always wait to see what's going to change. Also if you back up (Image the desktop) on your Mac Laptop to another drive before installing an update you can always go back.
TaaDow 9:22 PM - 13 July, 2007
I'm running 10.4.10 with the audio patch that was released after 10.4.10 and I'm having no issues whatsoever. Scratch LIVE is running excellent.
TaaDow 9:23 PM - 13 July, 2007
Quote:
I'm running 10.4.10 with the audio patch that was released after 10.4.10 and I'm having no issues whatsoever. Scratch LIVE is running excellent.

With an Intel iMac 2GHz + 2GB Corsair RAM.
DJ A-NAK 3:32 AM - 14 July, 2007
mine is runnin fine I just wanted to know how to reverse it if I accidently install or some bs
DJUltimate 4:32 AM - 14 July, 2007
Use your OS X DVDs that came with your mac.
Jace_one 10:14 PM - 15 July, 2007
Thanks for the beta update, mine's workin fine!
smutek 9:48 PM - 16 July, 2007
Running 10.4.10 for the last couple of weeks on my serato machine (G4 1.25 powerbook) as well as my desktop (dualcore 2 ghz G5 tower) with no issues.

I didn't read through this whole thread, but I think this was mainly an intel thing.
dj disturbed 8:28 AM - 17 July, 2007
Quote:
Running 10.4.10 for the last couple of weeks on my serato machine (G4 1.25 powerbook) as well as my desktop (dualcore 2 ghz G5 tower) with no issues.

I didn't read through this whole thread, but I think this was mainly an intel thing.

10.4.10 totaly fucked up my g5 tower.... wont even start right now.. but i think it has more to do with other software that is installed on it not liking the 10.4.10 update
DJDASH 10:18 PM - 17 July, 2007
I just updated last weekend and I noticed another problem with the brightness control. When adjusting the brightness of your screen (turning it up or down) the system will make a clicking sound through your main outputs.
DJ Jean Verano 10:21 PM - 17 July, 2007
thats a known issue for macs concerning the "usb droput bug"2
its not an serato issue - its a problem caused by apples usb management of newer mac books and mac book pro's

read more: scratchlive.net <-click
DJDASH 10:35 PM - 17 July, 2007
Quote:
that’s a known issue for macs concerning the "USB dropout bug"2
its not an serato issue - it’s a problem caused by apples USB management of newer Mac books and Mac book pro's

Make sure Mac users,
only use the left USB port for your serato hook up
Your other USB port is not routed directly to you motherboard. Your right USB port is linked with the keyboard and will make serato drop out this might be a problem with some users.

Always use the LEFT USB port for Serato ONLY..
DJ Jean Verano 10:39 PM - 17 July, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
that’s a known issue for macs concerning the "USB dropout bug"2
its not an serato issue - it’s a problem caused by apples USB management of newer Mac books and Mac book pro's

Make sure Mac users,
only use the left USB port for your serato hook up
Your other USB port is not routed directly to you motherboard. Your right USB port is linked with the keyboard and will make serato drop out this might be a problem with some users.

Always use the LEFT USB port for Serato ONLY..

depends on the sort of your mac book!!!
if you have 2 ports only on the left hand side of your mac
use the one positioned closer to you!
DJDASH 10:49 PM - 17 July, 2007
yeah your right because i have the 15" so with the 17" you will have 2.
Sorry didn't think about that
DJ Jean Verano 11:00 PM - 17 July, 2007
and the 13" got 2 only on the left too ;O)
bandoma 1:38 AM - 18 July, 2007
so is it safe to upgrade to 10.4.1? i have a powerbook g4.
DJ Jean Verano 8:01 AM - 18 July, 2007
Quote:
so is it safe to upgrade to 10.4.1? i have a powerbook g4.

in general you can upgrade to new OS if you youse the 1.7.3 Public beta version
or
you stick with 1.7.2 and you dont mind when unplugging your ssl that OS 10.4.10 won't recognize this...
this issue will be resolved in the 1.7.3 as it is in the public beta version...
prizo 10:15 PM - 22 July, 2007
would ya;l say its safe to use 1.7.3 beta for gigs as this sounds to be like onee of the ionly updates?
DJ Luminous 7:47 AM - 23 July, 2007
i have been using the beta at gigs for the past few weeks. no problems so far.
DJDASH 3:40 AM - 25 July, 2007
i updated and had no real problems..Knock on wood!
DJ SHEY LOVE 8:56 PM - 26 July, 2007
What's up guys. Just a heads up. Bought a brand new 2.4 intel based core 2 duo Mac Book Pro on Tuesday. OS 10.4.9 came on the new machine. iTUNES ver 7.1.1. Thought I was in the clear because I've read all your posts relating to 10.4.10. But on my machine I have all the same problems as everyone running 10.4.10. I'm running version 1.7.2 of Serato.

I also have a iBOOK G4 1.4 and a Powerbook 1.5 both of which are running 1.7.2 with 10.4.9 and 7.1.1. No issues at all with anything with either machine past or present regarding updates from Serato and Mac.

Sean and Zach have been extremely helpful at answering any question I've ever had. Today talked with Zach and we tried everything he could think of to correct the problem with my new Mac. Nothing worked. I have all the problems you all are having but it doesn't matter what usb port I'm connected to. Same on both wether it's conncected to the TTM 57 or the SL 1 left or right makes no difference. Same problems. So I'm returning the machine today in hopes that I got a lemon. Apparently I'm the 1st to have these problems with 10.4.9. I'll keep you posted.

Shey
DJ SHEY LOVE 9:05 PM - 26 July, 2007
1st person meaning the spinning wheel of death running on 10.4.9 and problems with both usb ports.

shey
sgvxcheese 8:15 PM - 27 July, 2007
haha...thank god i diddnt update
DJ-A 8:24 PM - 27 July, 2007
do any of you have different user accts on your macs? if i update one profile, when i am on the other it asks if i want to update it too...??? confusing..
DJ K-Tel 10:00 PM - 27 July, 2007
Hey All,

When updating your OS System....(when your bold enough to do so)

You should really go to the Apple download site and download the:

OS 10.4.10 COMBO UPDATE

notice the COMBO UPDATE.
Download and install this version, rather than using Apple's own Software Update program on your computer.

Apparently there are some things that the 10.4.10 COMBO UPDATE will install that will do the install better than if you use the AUTO SOFTWARE UPDATE. Something to do with the pre-binding the software does.

So that may present a few issues.

I think updating Quicktime and stuff like that using the software update is OK.
but any major system updates you'll want to use the COMBO UPDATE.

K-Tel
dj disturbed 10:08 PM - 27 July, 2007
Quote:
Hey All,

When updating your OS System....(when your bold enough to do so)

You should really go to the Apple download site and download the:

OS 10.4.10 COMBO UPDATE

notice the COMBO UPDATE.
Download and install this version, rather than using Apple's own Software Update program on your computer.

Apparently there are some things that the 10.4.10 COMBO UPDATE will install that will do the install better than if you use the AUTO SOFTWARE UPDATE. Something to do with the pre-binding the software does.

So that may present a few issues.

I think updating Quicktime and stuff like that using the software update is OK.
but any major system updates you'll want to use the COMBO UPDATE.

K-Tel

well if you do like all us older mac users normaly recomend (by older i mean ones who have been on mac for a long time and know the ins and outs)... we almost always tell you to re-prebind and repair permissions befor AND after EVERY update anyway.....
DJ SHEY LOVE 8:47 AM - 31 July, 2007
Sup guys. Ended up returning my new 2.4 Mac in hopes I got a lemon. Tried another brand new 2.4 and all the same things happend. I'm sticking with my iBook and Power Book.
DJ-A 2:02 PM - 31 July, 2007
did you try installing one program at a time?
DJ-A 2:03 PM - 31 July, 2007
did the usb's work with other stuff? (outside of SSL)
mgerrard10 2:18 PM - 31 July, 2007
DJ Shey Love - You might have already tried this but seeing you are planning on returning the machine anyway what I would do is update your machine. Use the combo update to go to 10.4.10 and then update your iTunes to whatever the latest version is nowadays. Then I would download SSL 1.7.3 Public Beta 2. Before using the program I would run disk utility and reset your PRAM. After that open SSL and see what happens. My friend was having USB dropouts using everything stated above but as soon as he switched to a different USB port everything worked perfectly. I know you have tried that but have you tired it with all the updates. My friend had actually the same computer as you and all these things solved the problems.
mgerrard10 2:21 PM - 31 July, 2007
Actually download: Scratch LIVE 1.7.3 Release Candidate 1 (17315) which just got updated yesterday.
DJ Rugged One 8:48 PM - 4 August, 2007
Hey guys, reading these posts is really helpful. I swithced from PC to Mac(Powerbook G4 15'-Mac OSS X Version 10.4.10, Processor 1 Ghz Power PC G4 512 MB DDR SDRAM) cause it performs better and stability. Lately Scratch has been freezing on me and froze on one of my gigs. I updated the software, defrag files and uninstall and re-install Scratch and still freezes after about 30 minutes. Had to restart the program again then works fine or the application quits unexpectedly....IT'S FRUSTRATING AND DISAPPOINTING !!!! Right now I'm buiding overviews as we speak, update iTunes software to 7.3.2 and possiby do a macfixit as mention. Since I have a gig tonight, little worried tha it might freeze again or quit but will have vinyl regardless...Will let you know what happens if still holds up or not...anybody care to give an input on this or what should I do....
DJMark 12:16 AM - 5 August, 2007
DJ Rugged One:

Have you built all your overviews? Your symptoms sound like what happens when you have corrupt files in your library.

Also, I highly recommend Applejack for all Mac users. That is a free system-repair/maintenance type utility available here: applejack.sourceforge.net

After you install that, restart the computer while holding down command-S (single-user mode). It will boot to a text-only screen. When the computer has booted into that, type "applejack auto restart". Running Applejack in that mode can fix problems that can't be fixed when the machine is booted normally into the GUI.
Serato, Support
Matt G 1:57 AM - 5 August, 2007
DJ Rugged One, try posting a description of your problems in the help area. Rane and Serato support people will be there to help you figure out what's going on.
DJ Rugged One 6:04 AM - 5 August, 2007
Matt G...will do post it up in the help area

DJ Mark...will do that tomorrow...just got back from my gig but will let you know wha happen...too tired and sleepy to type..
Dj Wunder 8:25 PM - 11 August, 2007
my buddy the computer nerd just told me to go to the mac website and download the "combo updater", this should fix the problem if u use that updater to update your mac
DJ Rugged One 11:09 PM - 11 August, 2007
Thanks Wunders, will look into as well.
DJMark 1:52 AM - 12 August, 2007
Just for everyone's info, I updated my G4 Powerbook to 10.4.10 about 10 days ago (I *always* do system updates with the Combo Updaters, by the way), and SSL 1.7.3 has been working just fine.

The reason I did this update was the release of a new Security Update that required 10.4.10.
DJUltimate 6:39 AM - 12 August, 2007
I updated my OS a few days back when I installed Logic Pro 7.2.3 and everything seems to be working well.
ravikc 2:37 AM - 13 August, 2007
hey guys..im actually right about to ordermyself a macbook pro and obviously its going to ship with the latest version..any suggestions?
imperialenforcer 10:06 AM - 13 August, 2007
Alright this might be a little off topic, though still might be alright because i am running 10.4.10.
Has anybody had any problems when they have m-audio firewire drivers on their computer.
I have 10.4.10 and yeah serato not recognizing the disconect happens, but I don't think it is a major issue. Though, when I installed M-Audio Firewire 410 software, I started getting quite a bit of usb warnings and glitching (i.e. drop outs and stuttering).
I know that m-audio is cheap and sucks but how, if I can, fix this.
My computer is a new macbook
2.16 ghz
2 gig ram
osx 10.4.10
prizo 11:58 PM - 13 August, 2007
yeh to my knowledge the combo update fixes everything except recognizing serato box being disconnected
DJ PAYCE 4:20 PM - 14 August, 2007
I have a PowerBook G4 12".

Is it safe to update now? Or not.
DJ Cykophuk 5:21 PM - 14 August, 2007
Quote:
hey guys..im actually right about to ordermyself a macbook pro and obviously its going to ship with the latest version..any suggestions?

+1

thinking about replacing my HP Celeron with a Macbook Pro 2 Duo 2.2GHz. Are we in the clear with teh USB and overview thing?
R.$.P 7:29 PM - 15 August, 2007
How do you get rid of the USB Dropout issue with the port (on a macbook black) closest to the power cord?
BriChi 7:58 PM - 15 August, 2007
raising the usb buffer in ssl helps a little, you may see the usb light come on when u touch rthe keyboard or mouse pad but there will be no noticeable audio glitches, I use my usb buffer at 10 and have no issues, Or you can just use the other port
DaBrain 10:17 PM - 16 August, 2007
Ummm.. Hello...

I've been using the 1.7.3 release candidate and it has been working GREAT (Macbook pro)...no problems...at all..

I have been waiting on the 10.4.10 update because of your warning..

Can i update now?
should i wait for the proper 1.7.3?
Rane, Support
Shaun W 10:26 PM - 16 August, 2007
You should be safe with 10.4.10
DaBrain 4:43 AM - 17 August, 2007
ok Thanks
DJ Rugged One 4:51 PM - 17 August, 2007
Co-sign with Shaun. I have no problems with it at all. I'm using 1.7.3 candidate realease and have 10.4.10, it is safe with me.
stevepoh 10:55 AM - 19 August, 2007
and whats up with that 1.7.2 version ans 10.4.10? is it safe?
deepdjdanny 6:52 AM - 20 August, 2007
Quote:

???
Soulsonica™ 9:00 PM - 20 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

???
oc 5:54 PM - 21 August, 2007
Soulsonica, I wouldn't update to 10.4.10. I have had nothing but problems with my Scratch Live ever since I updated the OSX. I am patiently waiting for the fixes from Rane.

At this point in time I am not comfortable using Scatch Live at a professional gig because the setup is too prone to being buggy with the usb connection not being detected or the mac freezing up. I have found that it usually works well however if you leave the macbook shut down, then make all of the connections, then power on the computer and launch Serato.

This is a huge bummer for me.
BriChi 7:14 PM - 21 August, 2007
Wonder how 10.4.11 will affect or fix this issue.
www.macrumors.com
oc 7:34 PM - 21 August, 2007
bah. i'm pissed.
nobspangle 8:02 PM - 21 August, 2007
oc, have you tried running 1.7.3?
BriChi 8:29 PM - 21 August, 2007
i run 1.7.3 everytime,,,,,, but some people are worried about running beta's
oc 8:40 PM - 21 August, 2007
When I can get an official release from rane that works with 10.4.10 I will dl and stay with that for a year. I need my scratch live to be bulletproof for playing out so I don't want to run the beta :(
BriChi 8:51 PM - 21 August, 2007
good idea oc, beta's should not be used "live", Serato says that in the release notes. 10.4.9 (and earlier) and 1.7.2 is pretty bullet proof
mgerrard10 8:56 PM - 21 August, 2007
OC - this might be a stupid suggestion but have you tried using different USB ports on your macbook. I had a friend getting the same errors as you but once he changed ports everything was fine. Both him and I are using 10.4.10 and 1.7.3. (he has a macbook and I have a powerbook) to great success.
DJMark 1:53 AM - 22 August, 2007
1.7.3 has been working perfectly for me with 10.4.10 on my G4 Powerbook.

1.7.2 does *not* have the USB "fixes" that were necessitated by the 10.4.10 update, and therefore I would *not* consider 1.7.2 "safe" for use with 10.4.10. Like I said earlier: consider the consequences of the USB cable being accidentally dislodged while playing.

From what I've been reading on the tech/rumors-oriented Mac sites, a 10.4.11 release should be out pretty soon....I certainly hope Apple is doing a more thorough job testing it than they did with 10.4.10!
DJRossi 3:04 AM - 22 August, 2007
I've been reading up on this forum for some time now. I have done all the OS updates to 10.4.10, and have been using 1.7.2. So as you all can imagine, I was very hesitant on using Serato until a "fix" has been released. I also use Serato on internal mode with the MP4 mixer. I did a test run in my studio for about an hour & a half straight with the Serato box, and an MP24 also on internal mode. The only issue I had was the left side audio was cutting out (which turned out to be a defective audio cable). Needless to say, I called Rane and spoke with the guys who were extremely helpful. They told me to turn off the airport, and bluetooth apps. That evening was the true test, a 300 guest wedding reception. The affair was a 6hr complete success. I'm not sure if this has any bearing on other problems people are having, but my mind is at ease because of the advice given. FYI, I use a 17" macbook pro, I was using the USB port closer to me on the left side, and as I explained previously, I use Serato on internal mode
Serato
James 12:13 PM - 30 August, 2007
1.7.3 is now out which is fully safe to use with 10.4.10
UmbillicalEd 8:24 AM - 6 September, 2007
Quote:
1.7.3 is now out which is fully safe to use with 10.4.10

Really?
Where?
BriChi 1:06 PM - 6 September, 2007
they pulled it, it had a bugs
DJUltimate 11:20 PM - 6 September, 2007
I am using 1.7.4 RC1 on my MacBook with 10.4.10 and everything has been great.
UmbillicalEd 2:29 PM - 7 September, 2007
Quote:

How long have you been using that version?

I want to update, but I'm supposed to play a gig next week and I'm a bit worried b/c of the beta warning.

But, the reason I want to update is b/c my current version crashed on me during a gig. So I'm hoping the newest version would solve that issue.
BriChi 2:45 PM - 7 September, 2007
I used 1.7.4 all weekend with no issues, download it and use it home for a couple of hours to test yourself, if it's good, use it next week, if not, use a previous version. U can keep different versions of SSL on your laptop at the same time
mgerrard10 3:05 PM - 7 September, 2007
I have been using 1.7.4 since it was posted and it has worked great.
DJUltimate 7:00 PM - 7 September, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

How long have you been using that version?

I want to update, but I'm supposed to play a gig next week and I'm a bit worried b/c of the beta warning.

But, the reason I want to update is b/c my current version crashed on me during a gig. So I'm hoping the newest version would solve that issue.

I've had 10.4.10 for a while now and was using it with 1.7.3 Beta. I've used 1.7.4 for about 12 hours with no issues.
anthracite98 10:09 AM - 14 September, 2007
So I don't want to update to 10.4.10 for a number of reasons, but is 10.4.9 100% (or as close as possible) safe??? currently: powerbook g4.1.67 - 10.4.8 / ssl 1.7.2

1.7.2 & 10.4.10 is bad for sure
1.7.2 and 10.4.9 is good or bad??
1.7.3+ and 10.4.10 is good

thanks all
mgerrard10 4:52 PM - 14 September, 2007
1.7.4 and 10.4.10 have been great for me.
Deejay Z 7:07 PM - 14 September, 2007
ditto
DJMark 7:27 PM - 14 September, 2007
1.7.4 with OS 10.4.10 has worked well for me. I don't think there's any reason to believe 1.7.4 would be any less "well" running on 10.4.9. With 1.7.4 looking as good as it does, I see no reason to even think about 1.7.2 at this point.

I believe a 10.4.11 update is imminent, I certainly hope that doesn't start off a whole other round of crap.
DJUltimate 1:24 AM - 15 September, 2007
Quote:
1.7.4 and 10.4.10 have been great for me.

me 3
Djbran 2:48 PM - 15 September, 2007
I'm still at 1.7.1 /10.4.8 Should I still stay?
Djbran 2:50 PM - 15 September, 2007
Oh yeah and its a macbook
DJUltimate 3:25 PM - 15 September, 2007
nah man, upgrade
DJMark 12:17 AM - 16 September, 2007
Quote:
I'm still at 1.7.1 /10.4.8 Should I still stay?

First use SuperDuper! to make a bootable backup of your internal drive onto an external Firewire drive (so you can boot from it, and revert to your current setup if needed), then download the ***Combo Update*** of OS 10.4.10 from Apple's site, reboot the computer, run Disk Utility and verify the startup disk and repair permissions, *then* run the 10.4.10 Combo Updater. After that, run the Disk Utility again and repair permissions.

The second public beta of 1.7.4 seems extremely stable under 10.4.10, but doing what I mentioned with SuperDuper! and an external drive will assure you can try things out knowing you can easily go back if needed. And anyone depending on their computer ought to be doing that kind of backup regularly anyway (Apple agrees, that's why "Time Machine" is going into OS 10.5).

I cannot over-emphasize that ***Combo Updates*** of new OS versions should always be downloaded and run from the downloaded installer...do not, repeat DO NOT do those kind of major system-revisions from the "Software Update".
hudseez 4:06 AM - 18 September, 2007
Having a problem. My hardware is set up correctly and software launches. But when i pull a track out of my library to play and put the needle down nothing happens. The record on the screen does not spin and the track does not play. Does this have to do with 10.4.10 I was running 10.4.9 and it was fine, but my computer crashed and had to rebuild. Any thoughts on how to get back up and running?
Serato, Support
Matt G 6:41 AM - 18 September, 2007
hudseez, try asking your question in the Help area (www.scratchlive.net) and the support guys will be able to guide you through.

Although, my uneducated guess is that you've got an Intel laptop and you've installed an old version of SSL from your install CD which doesn't support Intel Macs. If grabbing the latest version from the downloads page (www.scratchlive.net) doesn't fix it, then I'm out of guesses. The support guys will know more :)
Code-D 3:43 PM - 19 September, 2007
Hey I have a MacBook Pro Intell 10.4.10 and am having trouble with serato freezing and panic crashng my computer everytiem i use it. Please help I have a big gig tomorrow night.
dj hammurabi 3:49 PM - 19 September, 2007
What version of SSL are you using????
DJMark 7:13 PM - 19 September, 2007
Code-D, post details in the Help Forum. Rane and Serato people hang out there and are much more likely to see your post there (it's off-topic for here anyway).
R.$.P 2:19 AM - 20 September, 2007
Has their been an apple update in the past 2 weeks which has fixed this issue? My macbook bought in November was crashing like 2 weeks ago, I took it the macstore and the first issue was the airport card causing kernel panics which some update fixed

The second issue the guy said had something to do with a USB program (the only usb program I use is Serato) and it did shut down when using Serato.
Is it resovled.
I'm on VERSION 1.72
R.$.P 2:20 AM - 20 September, 2007
Has their been an apple update in the past 2 weeks which has fixed this issue? My macbook bought in November was crashing like 2 weeks ago, I took it the macstore and the first issue was the airport card causing kernel panics which some update fixed

The second issue the guy said had something to do with a USB program (the only usb program I use is Serato) and it did shut down when using Serato.
Is it resovled.
I'm on VERSION 1.7.2
Serato, Support
Matt G 2:26 AM - 20 September, 2007
R.$.P, please start a discussion in the Help area (www.scratchlive.net). The support guys will see it there and be able to help you out.
noncents 9:11 PM - 14 October, 2007
I'm on a Macbook Pro Intel 10.9.10 currently on 1.7.4 and the usb dropouts are kickin my @$$.

So I'm looking for 1.7.3 beta but can't find the download link/thread.

Is that the right way to go? and if so, can someone post the up where I can find the beta version?
Thanks
Serato
Josh 1:44 AM - 15 October, 2007
this problem is fixed in 1.7.4. See known issue post -> scratchlive.net

If you have problems with 1.7.4 or later, start a topic in the help area.

*locked*