DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

nerdy technical CV question

cappinkirk 5:34 PM - 20 June, 2007
are there any benefits to using the inner or outer rings for either scratching? for example, the inner ring makes the same sound in a shorter distance of needle-traveling (possibly with less needle rumble for example). are there any benefits to using more or less needle traveling for playing or scratching?

it seems that using a shorter distance would make a simpler sound but i think that in normal (non-CV) records the high frequencies are stronger on the outside rings of the record...so those outer rings may be better for playing songs...any fellow nerds out there who actually know facts about this?
cappinkirk 6:23 PM - 20 June, 2007
also my boy top speed pointed out that this may be why many scratch records have the scratches near the middle, you can make a more efficient (faster for your hand motion) scratch with a smaller ring (not his exact words)...another reason why the inner ring is better for kuts.
nik39 7:52 PM - 20 June, 2007
scratchlive.net <- click
cappinkirk 8:05 PM - 20 June, 2007
fine...
there are benefits to using the inner or outer rings for either scratching. the inner ring makes the same sound in a shorter distance of needle-traveling (possibly with less needle rumble for example).

using a shorter distance would make a simpler sound but i think that in normal (non-CV) records the high frequencies are stronger on the outside rings of the record...so those outer rings may be better for playing songs

better?
AdamJay 9:54 PM - 20 June, 2007
topspeed from Indy?
cappinkirk 2:04 AM - 21 June, 2007
yes sir
cappinkirk 2:11 AM - 21 June, 2007
he gave me my name
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 11:57 PM - 7 July, 2007
**Moved to General Discussion