DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Technics Height Adjustment / Anti-Skate...

mwereski 9:36 PM - 16 June, 2007
I have two Technics SL1200-MK5 turntables with Scratch Live. The current Height Adjustment I have on them is 1 and the Tracking Force (Weight) is at 3.

The needles I have on each turntable are Ortofon Concorde Pro S Stylus which has a recommended tracking force of 3-5.

The question I had is what should the HEIGHT of my tonearm be? Also what should the ANTI-SKATE be at?

- Mike Inches
djransom 11:50 PM - 16 June, 2007
I use those same settings except my height is at 0 and I set my anti-skate at 0 without issue. Good luck.
jayfunk 12:41 AM - 17 June, 2007
i used to run those and they are great needles. i like to run 3.5 height and the anti-skate at 0. always worked for me. also helped with preventing record cue burn too
DJJOHNNYM 7:34 AM - 17 June, 2007
LOL...you guys are comparing apples to oranges. TECHNICALLY, the arm should rest completely HORIZONTAL, to give the needle the angle it was designed to play at. Throwing a number like 0 to 3.5 really doesn't mean anything if you all don't have the SAME PLAYING FIELD on the actual platter. What I mean by that, is I may have SLIPMATS that raise the record a 32nd of an inch, vs. somebody ELSE who may have the damn thick azz MAT still on the platter. I say all this to say, adjust the tonearm base HEIGHT to a point where the arm is exactly horizontal to the platter.
DJ GaFFle 4:44 PM - 17 June, 2007
Quote:
LOL...you guys are comparing apples to oranges. TECHNICALLY, the arm should rest completely HORIZONTAL, to give the needle the angle it was designed to play at. Throwing a number like 0 to 3.5 really doesn't mean anything if you all don't have the SAME PLAYING FIELD on the actual platter. What I mean by that, is I may have SLIPMATS that raise the record a 32nd of an inch, vs. somebody ELSE who may have the damn thick azz MAT still on the platter. I say all this to say, adjust the tonearm base HEIGHT to a point where the arm is exactly horizontal to the platter.

He's correct.
DJBlisk 6:49 PM - 17 June, 2007
I agree.

Just get some m447's. it doesn't matter how you set it. the shits won't skip.
DJ GaFFle 7:12 PM - 17 June, 2007
Quote:
I agree.

Yeah but without proper level adjustment, I think the needle will sit in the groove ackward giving premature wear or screwing with the proper sound.
Dj Nyce 8:18 PM - 17 June, 2007
Quote:
I agree.

i can shoot the tone arm with a hk 45 usp and my ortofon djs won't skip (:
DJJOHNNYM 9:34 PM - 17 June, 2007
Quote:
I agree.

You still should adjust the tonearm height so that it's exactly level.

Just don't be switching up different heights of slipmats after you set it.
DJJOHNNYM 9:38 PM - 17 June, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
I agree.

i can shoot the tone arm with a hk 45 usp and my ortofon djs won't skip (:

You probably have the tonearm height exactly right. This is also a reason why some cats get different reactions from the same type of needle. You all may have the TONEARM WEIGHT CORRECT, but little variances, like Anti-Skate and ToneArm height, and how high the record actually SITS on the platter off of the slipmats will change the environment considerably.

For example, those BUTTER RUGS are thin like paper vs say a FELT slipmat and some wax paper or some shit. They raise or lower the height the record considerably.
dj disturbed 9:39 PM - 17 June, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
I agree.

unless you set it for that slip mat too and remember what each hight setting is for the diff slip mats
DJJOHNNYM 9:40 PM - 17 June, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I agree.

unless you set it for that slip mat too and remember what each hight setting is for the diff slip mats

LMAO. I wasn't gonna give anybody THAT MUCH CREDIT...
DJHexum 2:39 AM - 10 January, 2017
Q-Bert sets his height to 3.5: Watchwww.youtube.com
Emma from Studio Scratches sets hers to 3 and weight 2.5: Watchwww.youtube.com

Both use Technics, butter rugs, and M44-7.
Plates 2:27 PM - 19 September, 2017
Quote:

It's all well saying this but how the hell can you tell when its PERFECTLY HORIZONTAL?
And what are those dam numbers on the height adjustment referring to?
I'll believe you when you have the facts. Gimme the details!!!!
Detroitbootybass 3:57 PM - 19 September, 2017
Quote:
It's all well saying this but how the hell can you tell when its PERFECTLY HORIZONTAL?

A small bubble-level from any hardware store. DJs always used to carry them in their gig bag as it is important that the turntables be perfectly level.

In the case of the tonearm, you can gently hold the level on the tonearm to see if it is also level. That's how you adjust the height properly.
deezlee 4:05 PM - 19 September, 2017
You can eyeball it pretty well too.
DJ Reflex 10:33 PM - 19 September, 2017
Perfectly level??? Most of the time yes. But I've done some outdoor gigs where I've been on a slight slant. You can use Anti-Skate to correct for that. Keep the cap on your needle and run it on your record. If it slides inward or outward - adjust anti-skate to keep it from moving the tone arm. I've seen the videos where you use a blank record for this setting, but the needle cap trick works too.
Aptidda 4:58 PM - 21 September, 2017
Go on youtube and search Ap1 Reviews and Adventures and watch his video "How To Calibrate Your Technic 1200's for Scratching". This guy put a hilarious video on how to set up your turntables.